Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE — Despite their best efforts to help Bonnie through the harrowing predicament she now faces, Damon, Enzo and Caroline realize their options are running out and drastic measures need to be taken. With their only chance of saving their friend lying inside the Armory, Stefan breaks the news to Caroline that they may need help from an unlikely source – her and Alaric's twin daughters. Elsewhere, Enzo keeps Bonnie preoccupied by bringing her back to their cabin but when his plan takes an unexpected turn, it'll be up to Damon to make the ultimate sacrifice to save his closest friends. Matt also appears.
- Antagonists: Bonnie Bennett and The Armory's Monster.
- This is the first season finale not to feature Elena and Jeremy Gilbert.
- Although she does not physically appear, Elena can be considered to be in the finale as Nina Dobrev recorded new voiceovers for the episode.
- This is the third season finale not to feature Tyler Lockwood.
- This is the first season finale of the series to be aired on a Friday night.
- For the first time, a CGI creature is used in the series for the creature that was in the vault. According to Julie Plec, there is a name they are using for it internally, but they won't give it a formal name until Season 8.
- Virginia tells Enzo that what was in the Armory vault has been around for thousands of years, meaning it's been around longer than vampires. Enzo then compels Virginia to tell him what was in the vault and he then tells Damon he doesn't want to know what was in there.
- What was in the vault lures Damon with the sound of Elena's voice like Yvette's to Alex wasn't really Elena's voice.
- Just before the creature takes Damon, he has flashes of memory of both his relationship with Elena but his love for her as well. This love for Elena and his empathy are taken away by the creature.
- With this episode, Damon and Stefan Salvatore will have appeared in the most episodes of the series with 155 episodes. Elena Gilbert with the second most at 135 episodes (1 stock footage and 1 voice only appearance) until Season 8 when the remaining main characters Bonnie, Caroline and Matt will equal or surpass in episode appearances.
- Damon and Enzo are affected by what was in the vault. Caroline, Bonnie and Stefan wait around days for them to come out but they don't. Stefan tries to opening it with brute force but it doesn't work, eventually Alaric is able to crack the code but both Damon and Enzo along with what was trapped in the vault some how got out.
- Bonnie no longer has her magic after being the new Huntress thus she is unable to do a locator spell to find them.
- Caroline writes in her diary for Elena about the recent events.
- Matt leaves Mystic Falls to find out which fight is his and what's not.
- There is a 3 month internal episode time jump.
- Damon and Enzo have been leaving a trail of bodies of missing persons along the West Coast for 3 months.
- The last Everlasting - body incinerated; killed by Damon Salvatore
- 60 missing persons - killed by Damon and Enzo
Behind the Scenes
- This is the first episode since Pilot to feature only one guest star.
- Mouzam Makkar (Alex St. John) was originally supposed to appear in the episode; however, the only scene that featured her (and her character's death) was cut from the episode.
- The Mechanic is our transportation coordinator Keith. Call it nepotism, but believe us when we say: He was truly the best audition for the part. Authenticity goes a long way.
- Standards and Practices asked us to be careful with exactly how many bodies we put in the warehouse in the coda. Because apparently under 100 = acceptable. Over? Too much.
- We had two scenes that we had to shoot early due to the availability of Mouzam Makkar, who plays Alex. She booked a pilot that would be shooting every day during our finale. We scrambled to get the set ready and release script pages (even though the actual script wasn’t done yet) and get it shot in time before we lost her. We didn’t want to kill her, because we really liked her as an actress, and it turns out that we had to cut the scenes when the first cut came in 10 minutes long, so now I guess you can technically say Alex could be alive and well (or not well, considering what happened to the rest of her co-workers) somewhere inside the Armory. Maybe we’ll get to see her again.
- Because I came back to LA before we had fully wrapped, the last scene of my Vampire Diaries career after seven years ended up being Bonnie pulling up in her car to the cabin. Very anti-climatic, and also cut. And thank goodness it was night time, so I could sneak away when we wrapped, and the crew wouldn’t see me crying. 
- Hashtag during the airing is #TheUltimateSacrifice
- Gods and Monsters is a 1998 British-American drama film that recounts the (somewhat fictionalized) last days of the life of troubled film director.
- Gods and Monsters is a Big Finish Productions audio drama based on the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who.
- Justice League: Gods and Monsters is a 2015 direct-to-video animated superhero film featuring the DC Comics superhero team the Justice League and is part of the DC Universe Animated Original Movies.
- Gods and Monsters is an American psychedelic rock band from New York City.
- Gods and Monsters is the name for several albums:
- The third album by English rock band I Am Kloot which was released on April 11, 2005.
- The seventh album by the electronic goa trance band Juno Reactor. The album was released on April 22, 2008.
- The fourth album by Astrovamps which was released on 2007.
- The debut studio album of Gary Lucas, released in 1992 through Enemy Records.
- "Gods & Monsters" is a song by American singer and songwriter Lana Del Rey from her third extended play Paradise and was released on November 9, 2012, with the rest of the Paradise EP.
- A reference to Cthulhu was made when Enzo assured Damon that the thing in the Vault was not an evil tentacle creature.
- Stefan: "Ready to do this?"
- Damon: "Elena?"
- Virginia: "You can't fight it. You can't kill it."
- Stefan: "Ready to do this?"
- Damon: "Elena?"
- Enzo "Weren't you meant to be on a plane?"
- Stefan: "Flights got cancelled because of the storm, where are you?"
- Damon: "I'm in Solutionland, baby. There's a preserved body at the Armory called The Final Everlasting. All we have to do is destroy that and Bonster's a monster no more."
- Caroline: "But if you kill the Everlasting, then Bonnie dies and so do we for that matter."
- Enzo: "I've been told differently."
- Caroline: "By who? Someone who wants you dead?"
- Enzo: "A descendent of the people who created Rayna Cruz."
- Caroline: "Yeah, the people who hate us."
- Enzo: "Well, whether we believe them or not, it's Bonnie's only chance."
- Damon: "Look, best case scenario, we destroy it, everything goes back to normal. Worst case scenario, we all die and Stefan lives to tell the tale of our demise to the lovely Elena."
- Caroline: "Are you forgetting about the other problem that's in there?"
- Enzo: "Oh you mean the ambiguously terrifying monster from the Vault? I'm on it. Perhaps it'll be less ambiguous and less terrifying."
- Stefan: "Guys, it doesn't matter. Bonnie's sealed the whole Armory, you can't get in."
- Damon: "Don't tell me what I can't do."
- Damon: "Let me guess, it's ancient tentacle evil that will destroy our lives and the world as we know it."
- Enzo: "Don't be ridiculous. Not tentacles."
- Damon: "Do I even wanna know?"
- Enzo: "Well it deter you from going in?"
- Damon: "Nope."
- Enzo: "Then no, you don't. Has anyone heard from Valerie?"
- Damon: "Unnecessary."
- Enzo: "Somebody has a plan. Care to share?"
- Damon: "It's messy."
- Enzo: "Free for going how messy I can be."
- Damon: "Small runway a few miles east of the Armory. Meet me there. Bring your cowboy boots."
- Enzo: "Bonnie's life is linked to that of the final Everlasting. If we sever the link, it might also sever the curse. Unfortunately for us, the Everlasting resides in the Armory."