|“||Your temporary funeral.||”|
The Gilbert Rings protect people from being killed by supernatural beings or causes, as long as the rings are worn. The Gilbert Rings are worn by the Gilbert men usually, but there has been one female shown to have worn a Gilbert Ring, (who had the original Gilbert Ring and passed it down to her future descendants) Samantha Gilbert.
However, the rings can be cut off or forcibly taken off and then the person wearing it can be killed. Grayson and John Gilbert inherited the rings from their father. John gave his own ring to Isobel, who then gave it to Alaric. John then took possession of Grayson's ring after the latter's death. There are only two known Gilbert Rings in existence. Both rings are made with black stones. Alaric and John's former ring is now bound to the last White Oak Stake, making it indestructible, leaving only one known ring left. Nadia Petrova also refers to the rings as Invincibility Rings in Original Sin.
The ring was originally charmed by Emily Bennett, though it is unknown if they actually belonged to her, or she just used her magic on them. It is known that Johnathan Gilbert was the first member of the Gilbert Family to possess and use the ring in 1864, and it has been passed down the Gilbert Family since then.
The rings can bring back to life humans killed by the supernatural beings (Vampires, Werewolves, Doppelgängers, Hybrids, Ghosts, etc.). Even when the human is killed indirectly, by use of an object (gun, knives, cars, etc..) the wearer can return to life. The ring cannot bring the wearer back to life if their death is 'natural', i.e. caused by another human, natural disaster or disease. The resurrection time varies from minutes to hours. Alaric was killed by Damon but returns to life in minutes, but when he is hit by Tony, Alaric returns to life hours after (and in this particular incident, the wounds sustained were not completely healed).
- The ring does not work on anybody that is "supernatural", but it did work on Jeremy and Matt while they were a medium.
- These rings are not mentioned in any of the books.
- There is only one ring left: Matt has it, given to him by Damon to help turn Elena's humanity back on.
- In Masquerade, Jeremy tries to give his ring to Elena to stop the curse of Lucy but she refused so its left unknown if the rings can or not protect people from witches spells or if it can protect the doppelganger.
- When Jeremy offers his ring to Bonnie she jokes that he was asking her to go steady.
- Both known Gilbert Rings are made by world renown jeweler artisan Scott Kay. Both rings can be purchased for under $500 each. The ring in this wiki is available on tribalhollywood.com.
- The effect caused by the rings is the loss of memory, and extremely dangerous and insane actions to kill.
- The effect is the mirror of the actions and personalities of Klaus and Katherine von Swartzchild in the Original Series.
- After the Hunter's Mark appeared on Jeremy, the ring continued to work as when Elena killed him in her Hunter's Curse hallucinations, only becoming useless to Jeremy after activating his Hunter's powers by killing a hybrid as they were half vampire.
- The rings' negative side-effect is that while on the Other Side, no matter how briefly, the souls of the wearers are vulnerable to manipulation by the spirits dwelling there
- Coincidentally the wear won't remember their time on the Other Side. Matt only remember his time in Resident Evil because it was implied that side effect was wearing off due to tje Other Side going down.
- Despite The Gilbert Rings being passed to the eldest Gilbert Son, Samantha had one despite her sex, most likely inherited from her father or grandfather Johnathan to protect her from the Supernatural since she knew about the Supernatural.
- Alaric first felt the negative effects of the Gilbert Ring after his fourth death; when he was run-over.
- Damon is the first and only vampire to own a Gilbert Ring, not counting Isobel, Alaric and Elena, who all became vampires after they gave up the ring.
- The fact that neither any member of The Original Family, nor Katherine Pierce were surprised by the ring suggests that other rings (or other jewelry) with similar powers also exist, and that they have encountered other people over the centuries who have possessed these rings (or other jewelry). It is also very likely that Emily was not the only witch with the power to make these rings, which supports this theory.
- Now that the Other Side has been destroyed, the ring is useless.