|“||Every inch of this house is filled with memories of the people that I loved that have died.||”|
Grayson Gilbert and Miranda Sommers-Gilbert were the original owners until their death. Miranda's sister Jenna Sommers moved in to take care of Elena and Jeremy, only to later die herself. Alaric Saltzman moved in to be the two's guardian since they had no other family. Unfortunately, he later became a vampire, then has to be killed putting everyone in danger. leaving Elena and Jeremy alone without a guardian. The next day, Jeremy and Elena repaint his room.
In Season Four, Elena briefly moved out the house when Jeremy became a vampire hunter; she had been turned, making it unsafe to stay. Eventually, Jeremy managed to control himself and she moved back in. When Jeremy died, Elena became so distraught she decided to burn down the house with his body in it as a cover and did so after she turned off her humanity.
- The Gilbert House has been the place where a lot of incidents happen such as when Katherine is introduced in the present, and where Jeremy sees Anna and Vicki after his resurrection.
- In real life, this house and Forbes House are next to each other.
- The real address is 2104 Floyd Street NE, Covington, Georgia, USA.
- The Gilbert House in Pilot was a different house because Pilot was the only episode filmed in Vancouver.
- In Stand By Me, Elena Gilbert burns the Gilbert House down in order to be used as a cover story for Jeremy's death. Previously, Klaus threatened to burn down the house.
- In real life, few months earlier the house was put up for sale.
- Apparently, Elena was going to ask Bonnie Bennett to use her powers to burn down the house; she inquired where Bonnie was when she came downstairs, and, upon finding she had already left, stated, "I guess I'll have to do this the old-fashioned way."
- Elena mentioned burning it down with Jeremy's dead body inside to Elijah in American Gothic.
- The Gilbert House didn't make any appearances in Season Five.
- Rebekah Mikaelson is the only Original Vampire to never set foot inside the Gilbert House.