|“||This isn't the end. They won’t stop. As long as that child lives, the witches of New Orleans will never stop coming for it. Esther will never stop coming for it. It has been decreed. Your baby will be consecrated among her ancestors. She will not live.||”|
Genevieve was a major recurring character of The Originals during the first season. She was a witch who was brought back to life by Céleste Dubois (while she was possessing Sabine's body), using the energy from the latest Harvest ritual. She was presumably resurrected because of her unfinished business with Rebekah and Marcel. Along with Celeste and Bastianna Natale, she was a major antagonist of the first season of The Originals. She was an Elder and a Leader of the French Quarter Coven, and regained the title after her resurrection. She was killed by Hayley Marshall in punishment after she attempted to sacrifice Hayley and Klaus' daughter as an offering to their ancestors in From a Cradle to a Grave.
In 1919, Genevieve was one of a large number of witches in the New Orleans coven who gathered to meet Papa Tunde, who had arrived in New Orleans to offer to help them vanquish the vampires and beasts from the city in exchange for joining their coven and becoming their leader. It appeared that she was a witch who followed his belief system, because, according to Marcel, Papa Tunde sacrificed anyone who would not follow him and defend his methods.
Later, after Tunde was murdered by Klaus, Marcel revealed to Rebekah that he was the one who summoned Tunde to New Orleans, with the hope that he would drive Klaus out of town and he and Rebekah could finally be together without having to fear Klaus' reprisal. Rebekah scoffed at the idea, noting that there was only one person who Klaus ever feared, which gave her and Marcel the idea to summon Mikael to town to chase Klaus out of New Orleans. Rebekah knew of a way to contact him, and informed him that all they needed is a witch who could do the spell, which was when Rebekah noticed Genevieve.Genevieve worked as a nurse during the Influenza period, helping patients with herbal remedies and trying her best to delay the inevitable and to take away their pain. She quickly developed a friendship with Rebekah, despite the fact that she admitted that she had been brought up to dislike vampires. She also confessed to Rebekah one night that if there were any of the Mikaelson brothers she would like to be with, it would be Klaus, which indicated that she was at least acquainted with both Klaus and Elijah at the time. While Rebekah was planning on just using Genevieve to have her perform the spell to contact Mikael, it because clear that Rebekah was quite fond of Genevieve, and the feelings were mutual. Later, Rebekah and Marcel accompanied Genevieve to the cemetery, where she performed a spell to contact Mikael by sending him a New Orleans newspaper clipping that had Klaus' photo on the front page. Once this was completed, she and Rebekah continued their friendship for some time, until one fateful day whilst the two were on nurse duty. Genevieve was tending to a sick patient who had coughed blood into a handkerchief when Rebekah pulled her aside and asked for a word with her. They went to the morgue, where Rebekah admitted that she was regretting their choice to contact Mikael, and demanded that she undo the spell. Genevieve informed her that there was no way to undo the spell once he had received the message, so Rebekah reminded her that if Klaus found out she was involved, he would kill her.
Genevieve realized that Rebekah was using her, and that in the process, put her own life at risk, and insisted that they both had no choice but to tell Klaus what they did and hope their honesty would buy them some mercy.
Rebekah became so enraged and fearful of Klaus finding out the truth that she tried to attack Genevieve, but Genevieve used the pain-infliction spell to give her a migraine. Rebekah grabbed the bloody, influenza-infected cloth from Genevieve's pocket and shoved it in Genevieve's face, infecting her with the virus. Rebekah apologized as she knowingly infected her with Influenza, and reminded her if Klaus found out their actions, Genevieve would be dead anyway. Clara (who was possessed by Céleste at the time) entered the room to see if Genevieve was okay, only to find Rebekah smothering her with the bloody rag. Fearing being ratted out to Klaus, Rebekah then infected Clara/Celeste with the rag as well, and compelled the orderlies at the hospital to keep the two in quarantine until they died so that they would be unable to tell Klaus the truth. A brief flashback showed Clara and Genevieve on their death bed, taking their last breaths on bloodied sheets.
Throughout The Originals Series
Through flashbacks to 1919 whilst working as a nurse during the Influenza period, Genevieve was seen as a very caring and sacrificial woman. She helped patients through their sickness despite the risk to her own health and Rebekah once described her as a "sweet girl" to Marcel. She said she was initially wary of Rebekah due to her being an Original Vampire, meaning she was somewhat judgmental about vampires, although changed her mind once Rebekah showed her kindness and friendship. Genevieve was fiercely protective and helped her friends, although this can be seen as naive and too trustworthy, through her own admission, and gullible, as she was unable to see Rebekah's true intentions until she had completed a task for her. She can be seen as a truthful person, once Rebekah's true intentions were revealed, she was fearful and enraged at the consequences she and her family may face and attacked Rebekah, wishing to reveal the truth to spare them. When she was resurrected a century later, she harboured a deep desire for vengeance against Rebekah.
Genevieve was also a capable leader who had managed to bring together the New Orleans witches, including a reluctant Davina. She tried her best to help her people's rise to power, but was still not without morals, as Genevieve truly did not wish to harm Klaus and Hayley's child and was only doing so for fear of her own safety and life and favor from the Ancestors. Despite her intentions behind getting close to the Mikaelsons, she did whatever she could to help Hayley in her moment of need and succeeded, showing that the compassionate nurse inside of her was still there.
Genevieve was a beautiful witch with pale, fair skin, blue eyes, and wavy red hair. She had an attractive face and is tall, standing at approximately 5'10". She mostly wore black clothing in modern time. She used to wear a nurse uniform in 1919 while working at an Influenza hospital.
Powers and Abilities
Genevieve was a very powerful witch capable of considerable feats of magic. In her first life, she used her prowess in herbalism to help her patients, secretly administering effective herbal remedies to them.
She was responsible for casting a message spell that eventually brought Mikael to New Orleans. Her pain infliction spells are powerful enough to keep even an ancient and powerful vampire like Rebekah Mikaelson at bay. When she was brought back to life, after Celeste Dubois hijacked the power from the Harvest ritual, she set out to exact her revenge against Rebekah, creating a potion that included an assortment of herbs, Rebekah's werewolf-venom laced blood and her own blood that allowed her to reveal to Klaus Rebekah and Marcel's betrayal.
She was able to hold off Rebekah and Marcel on her own and reverse the boundary spell that Celeste cast on the cemetery. She used enchanted dreamcatchers to spy on Camille and Marcel while they were having sex. She, with Klaus' help, saved Hayley from being killed by Monique's curse. She even cast a spell that allowed her to speak with the Ancestors, begging them to spare Hayley's baby.
Genevive was competent enough to combine spells from Esther's Grimoires in order to create enhanced moonlight rings under the order of Klaus. She combined the spell that Esther used to enhance her children's speed and strength. During the night of the full moon Genevive used Klaus' blood to bind his strength to the black Kyanite stones that would be used, consequently creating twelve moonlight rings that drain Klaus's strength.
Genevieve had the typical weaknesses of a human/witch. As a New Orleans witch, she would lose access to ancestral magic if she leaves New Orleans.
- Klaus and Genevieve (Former Allies/Ex-Lovers/Enemies)
- Rebekah and Genevieve (Former Friends/Enemies)
- Celeste and Genevieve (Friends/Former Allies)
- Genevieve and Elijah (Enemies/Former Frenemies)
- Clara and Genevieve (Friends)
- Genevieve and Hayley (Former Allies/Enemies)
- Davina and Genevieve (Former Allies)
- Monique and Genevieve (Former Allies)
The Originals: Season 1
- Après Moi, Le Déluge
- Dance Back from the Grave
- Crescent City
- Long Way Back From Hell
- Le Grand Guignol
- Farewell to Storyville
- Moon Over Bourbon Street
- The Big Uneasy
- An Unblinking Death
- A Closer Walk With Thee
- The Battle of New Orleans
- From a Cradle to a Grave (2nd Death)
- They All Asked For You (Indirectly Mentioned)
- The Awakening: Part 3 (Mentioned)
- Geneviève is of uncertain origin, however it’s generally thought to be Celtic, meaning "of the race of women," "women of the people," or "mother of the race," derived from the French Geneviève "white wave", which in turn comes from the Late Latin Genovefa. It began to be used in Britain in the 19th century.
- Genevieve was identified as "the redhead" in the episode Après Moi, Le Déluge.
- She was resurrected in the present day, along with Bastianna and Papa Tunde, by Céleste Dubois.
- She survived the longest out all of them in the present day (2012).
- Genevieve is the second non-main character to appear in over 10 consecutive episodes during a single season, 12 in this case. The first was Rebekah, who appeared in 15 consecutive episodes during Season Four of The Vampire Diaries.
- Genevieve, Papa Tunde and Bastianna Natale are three of the worst witches in the history of New Orleans, according to the producers' promo for Dance Back from the Grave.
- In Dance Back from the Grave, it is revealed that Genevieve is the witch whom Rebekah suggested to Marcel would be strong enough to help them find Mikael.
- In Long Way Back From Hell, it is revealed that Genevieve, along with Rebekah, worked as nurses at Fleur-de-Lis Sanatorium in 1919.
- In flashback in Long Way Back From Hell, Genevieve had her naïve and innocent nature taken advantage of by Rebekah to summon Mikael to New Orleans.
- Genevieve is the first person outside of the Original family to call Klaus, "Nik."
- Genevieve was the last of the four witches resurrected by the hijacked Harvest magic to be killed.
- In Farewell to Storyville, Genevieve had become an Elder and cast a spell to release Klaus, Rebekah and Elijah from the cemetery.
- In flashback in Long Way Back From Hell, it was revealed that Rebekah used bloody rags infected with influenza to sicken Genevieve and Clara (possessed by Céleste) and prevent them from revealing that Rebekah and Marcel were behind summoning Mikael.
- In The Big Uneasy, Monique received a message from the ancestors, which told her that Genevieve was allowed to live, in exchange for Genevieve sacrificing Klaus and Hayley's daughter in her place.
- Hope was delivered by Genevieve in St. Anne's Church.
- In From a Cradle to a Grave, she was about to be killed by the ancestors when instead she was fatally stabbed in the stomach by Hayley.
- Since she is a New Orleans witch, she has rejoined the Ancestors once again.
- Genevieve has killed no one supernatural or human, but was killed for assisting Abigail and Monique in their attempt to sacrifice Hope in the name of their coven.