|“||Now, I swore you would not die by my brother's hand. I said nothing of my own. Nobody hurts my family and lives. No one.||”|
TRUST ISSUES — When Klaus discovers Hayley’s life is being threatened, he goes to extreme lengths to protect her and their unborn baby. Having a difficult time dealing with the tragic events of her past, Camille turns to Father Kieran for guidance. Feeling as though he can trust no one, Marcel visits an old friend to seek out some advice, while Davina takes steps to learn how to control her magic. Finally, Klaus delivers some surprising news to Kieran.
|Klaus is offering Elijah a peace offering for him stabbing him. Elijah refuses his offering and demands that he wants Klaus to change his attitude not to give him offerings. Rebecca complains that the peace offering is ruining the 200 year old carpet. She ends up cleaning it. Hayley complains that there is no milk in the fridge but turns out there was. Sophie was kidnapped by other witches and Agnes injected medicine to abort the baby in Hayley's womb. Elijah goes to Davina to give some pages from her mother's book and gives her an unlinking spell to unlink Hayley and Sophie so Hayley wouldn't miscarry.
Cami complains that she is not feeling guilt when her brother killed himself. Elijah promises Davina if she completes the spell then he will give her another spell of her choice. Marcel visits Thierry and asks him advice and what he knows about Klaus. Rebekah is taking care of Hayley, while saying her goodbyes. Hayley has a fever and it is raising the baby's blood temperature. Klaus crashes the meeting of the Human Council and states that he needs to find Agnes. He mentioned that Agnes is the witch that hexed the priest's nephew, Sean.
Sophie helps in slowing down Hayley's fever to save the baby. Elijah promises her that Agnes will not die in the hands of Klaus, but he did not promise that he will not kill her. Davina unlinks Hayley and Sophie in time before the baby dies. Rebekah says goodbye to Marcel, but Marcel convinced her to stay for a while. Rebekah says goodbyes to Elijah and she will not be returning, she need to be free and do want she wants. Rebekah invites Marcel to live a new live in another city, but Marcel refuses and Rebekah leaves for good this time. Josh is looking for Klaus which makes Marcel discovers the real address of Klaus and the mole is Josh. Klaus went to see Cami to tell her that he had punished the one responsible for her brother's death. Marcel talks to Klaus that he knows where he truly lives. Elijah calls Rebekah if Hayley was with her, but unfortunately she was not. Klaus then immediately tells Elijah that Marcel was here.
- Antagonist: Agnes.
- Narrator: Rebekah Mikaelson.
- Title meaning: a reference to Agnes's belief that Klaus and Hayley's baby is a demon who will destroy the witches, as well as a reference to the fact that her demon nature comes from her father Klaus, the Original hybrid.
- Marcel temporarily broke Thierry out of his prison in the Garden to talk to him because he is the only person he trusts.
- Elijah gave Davina some pages from his mother's grimoire, as he promised in the previous episode in order to help her gain control over her magic.
- The poem Klaus was reading is entitled "A Poison Tree" from Songs of Innocence and Experience by William Blake.
- This episode marks the second time that a member of the French Quarter Coven has been killed by an Original. The first victim was Katie, who was killed by Klaus in Tangled Up In Blue.
- It was revealed in this episode that Agnes was the last living Elder of the French Quarter Coven.
- Elijah called off the original deal with Sophie in this episode and stated that it was now null and void. This was because he had learned from Davina that Sophie's true intentions were to find Davina and finally finish the Harvest to return her niece Monique to life and to ensure that her coven continued to have their powers.
- We see the first interaction between Kieran and Camille in this episode.
- We see the Human Faction for the first time in this episode.
- It is revealed that until this episode, Marcel didn't know where the Originals were really living. Klaus had been telling him that they were staying at The Palace Royale, but in reality, they were staying in the plantation house where Marcel was formerly a slave in the early 1800s.
- Rebekah reveals that a mixture of sage and mugwort makes quite the vampire repellent. However, whether this is true or simply a joke remains to be seen.
- Sophie reveals that the Needle of Sorrows used on her to make Hayley miscarry was similar to the dark object used on Sean O'Connell to make him kill himself, known as the Rosary of Madness.
- The Needle of Sorrows is also the first of many dark objects that are introduced in the series.
- Marcel and Hayley meet for the first time in this episode and soon after his visit, she goes missing. Initially, it is assumed that Marcel took her captive, but it was revealed in the next episode that it was actually Tyler Lockwood, who was using her to confirm a theory about her and Klaus's baby.
- Camille and Kieran now know that Agnes was responsible for Sean's psychosis, which led him to kill his fellow seminary students and then himself.
- This episode marks the first time in modern times that Elijah wears something other than a suit.
- This episode confirms that Elijah is developing feelings for Hayley.
- In this episode we see Elijah is a master at finding loopholes in his promises. When Sophie begged him to stop Klaus from killing Agnes, he does so, but in the end Agnes is killed by his own hands.
- This continues the trend of Mikaelson siblings taking their promises quite literally and/or finding loopholes in order to technically keep their word. A past example of this is from The Vampire Diaries episode As I Lay Dying, when Elijah reminded Klaus of his promise to reunite him with the rest of their family. Instead of bringing Elijah to his family members, he daggered Elijah, and then put his daggered body with the rest of their similarly-daggered siblings.
- Agnes - broken neck, killed by Elijah Mikaelson.
- Unnamed warlocks - heart extraction, killed by Elijah Mikaelson.
- Camille and Joshua were last seen in Girl in New Orleans.
- Thierry and Sabine were last seen in Tangled Up In Blue.
- Klaus made promise to Camille in Girl in New Orleans to find who was responsible for her brother's loss of sanity and subsequent murder-suicide of his fellow seminary students is fulfilled in this episode.
- Elijah gives Davina one of the spells in his mother's grimoire as promised in the previous episode.
- New Orleans
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 2.03 million viewers in USA, which was 0.02 million less than the previous episode.
- The title is in the past tense from Fruit of the poisonous tree, a legal metaphor in the United States used to describe evidence that is obtained illegally.
- This is also the title of the eleventh episode of the first season of Once Upon a Time.
- Fruits Of The Poisonous Tree is the fifth episode of the second season of Hill Street Blues.
- Marcel eating the apple is a subtle nod to the 1986 vampire movie Fright Night in which the one thousand year old vampire Jerry Dandridge is seen regularly eating apples.
- Hayley says she had been held captive by witches who think her baby is Lucifer. Lucifer is the true name of The Devil/Satan, who is also often known as the Morning Star, or the Light-Bringer.
- The poem Klaus is reading:
- I was angry with my friend
- I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
- I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow
- And I watered it in fears,
Night and morning with my tears;
And I sunned it with smiles,
And with soft deceitful wiles.
- And it grew both day and night,
Till it bore an apple bright.
And my foe beheld it shine.
And he knew that it was mine,
- And into my garden stole
When the night had veiled the pole;
In the morning glad I see
My foe outstretched beneath the tree.
- - from "A Poison Tree" by William Blake
- Rebekah: "My brothers and I are the first vampires in history, the Originals. Three hundred years ago, we called New Orleans home. Now, we've returned, drawn by a witch who seeks to use my brother Klaus' unborn child as leverage in a brewing war. But his quest for power has turned brother against brother, leaving our family more divided than ever. Now that Elijah has returned, can our family unite to face this new threat?"
- Elijah: "You know, I do hope my siblings were hospitable toward you in my absence."
- Hayley: "In your absence, as you like to call it-- which is a way-too-polite way of saying that your brother put a dagger in your heart-- I have been attacked by French Quarter vampires, I've had to live in a house with a secret dungeon full of coffins, and I was nearly murdered by witches who are convinced that my baby is Lucifer."
- Rebekah: "What are you doing with Mother's spellbook?"
- Elijah: "Well, in exchange for my freedom, I promised the witch Davina that I would share a few pages from Mother's grimoire. To help her to learn to control her magic. I thought we'd begin with a little unlinking spell."
- Rebekah: "Wait, you want to use her to unlink Hayley from Sophie Deveraux?"
- Elijah: "Sophie brought us to this town under false pretenses. She doesn't just want us to take down Marcel and his minions, she wants to take Davina back. So, she yolked her own cause to ours, with magic threats and half-truths. Well, no more. As of now, our deal with Sophie Deveraux is null and void."
- Agnes: "You made a deal with him?"
- Father Kieran: "After what you did to Sean, I'd deal with the devil himself just to see you suffer."