|“||This city would have seen you dead. But, I will have it your home. And every soul who wishes you harm will be struck down, just as sure as my blood runs in your veins....You will return to me.||”|
THE ORIGINALS MOTHER AND CHILD IN PERIL — As the baby's due date draws near, Klaus and Elijah embark on a search for Hayley, while Hayley herself is determined to do whatever it takes to keep her unborn baby safe and away from the witches. Francesca takes a meeting with Oliver and Jackson to determine the future of the werewolves in New Orleans. In the aftermath of a surprising attack on Marcel and his vampires at the compound, Davina and Camille join resources to take down Klaus. Finally, in a desperate move to protect those most important to him, Klaus makes a heartbreaking decision.
- Antagonists: The French Quarter Coven (Mainly Monique, Abigail, and Genevieve) and Mikael.
- Narrator: Elijah Mikaelson.
- Title meaning: the Witches desire to sacrifice Hope Mikaelson as soon as she is born as an offering to the Ancestors, and Hayley, Klaus, and Elijah's plan to fake her death in order to keep her safe.
- Hayley gave birth to Hope in St. Anne's Church with Genevieve's assistance.
- Hayley is killed by Monique immediately after giving birth to Hope.
- Because she died with Hope's blood still in her system, she came back in transition. After drinking a small drop of Hope's blood, she successfully became a Hybrid.
- Hayley is the second hybrid to be created with her daughter Hope's blood, after Dwayne.
- She is also the only still-living/undead hybrid sired by Hope.
- Hope's birth, which was considered to be a miraculous "nexus vorti" due to the supernatural identities of her parents, gives Davina the power necessary to resurrect Mikael, who intends to use him as her secret weapon against Klaus.
- Klaus and Marcel believe that Diego and the other vampires died from their werewolf bites, unaware that they were really killed by the resurrected Mikael.
- Marcel and Josh are cured of the werewolf toxin from Klaus' bites. Davina retrieved Klaus' blood for Josh from the site of Klaus and Marcel's fight, while Marcel was cured by Klaus himself as a reward for successfully saving Hope from being sacrificed by Monique.
- Marcel and Klaus make a deal after the Mikaelsons and Hayley decided to fake Hope's death: in exchange for him finding a baby's body to make it look as though Hope was dead, Klaus would give him vials of his blood so that the vampires could use it to survive any bites sustained by the moonlight-ring-empowered werewolves. Klaus then had permission to compel Marcel to forget what he knew about Hopes whereabouts.
- With the death of Genevieve, the final Harvest girl, Cassie, is resurrected. However, she is revealed to be possessed by Esther Mikaelson. Finn Mikaelson is also resurrected, possessing a witch named Vincent.
- Klaus, Elijah, Hayley and Marcel fake Hope's death and place the blame on the Guerrera pack, along with the other Bayou Pack wolves who joined them after The Battle of New Orleans. Marcel agrees to be compelled to forget his part in this.
- Despite being in the synposis, Jackson makes no appearance this episode, except in deleted scenes.
- Klaus names his newborn daughter Hope.
- Rebekah returns to New Orleans to take Hope to live with her and keep her safe.
- This episode marks the last appearance of Monique & Abigail. She is killed with The Devil's Star by Marcel before she can sacrifice Hope and Abigail was impaled by a fence pike thrown by Klaus.
- In this episode, both Klaus and Marcel and Klaus and Rebekah reconcile their previously broken relationships.
- Hayley - slit throat; killed by Monique (as a werewolf). Came back in transition into a hybrid.
- Abigail - impaled; killed by Klaus.
- Monique - stabbed with the Devil's Star; killed by Marcel.
- Genevieve - stabbed; killed by Hayley.
- Diego and the majority of Marcel's Army - fed on by Mikael/died from the werewolf bites they sustained from the Guerrera Pack.
- Jackson originally appeared in this episode, but his scenes were ultimately deleted.
- Rebekah was last seen in Farewell to Storyville in TO and in 500 Years of Solitude in TVD.
- Esther was last seen in flashbacks in Always and Forever in TO and in Do Not Go Gentle in TVD.
- Finn was last seen in flashbacks in Farewell to Storyville in TO, and in The Murder of One in TVD.
- Hayley Marshall gives birth to Hope in this episode, meaning that it has been somewhere between nine and ten months since the events of Bring It On in The Vampire Diaries (since pregnancies generally last 36–40 weeks).
- This episode marks the first appearance of Vincent Griffith and the return of Cassie.
- This is the first season finale to feature Klaus, Elijah, Rebekah, Hayley, Marcel, Camille, Davina, Mikael, Esther, and Finn.
- This is the first appearance of Hope Mikaelson.
- This is the last appearance of Monique and Abigail.
- New Orleans
Behind the Scenes
- This episode marked the first guest/cameo appearance of Claire Holt since her departure. However she was credited as also starring than a special guest star, which would occur from Season Two onwards.
- This episode had about 1.76 million viewers in the USA, which was 0.32 million more than the previous episode.
- Klaus: "How's our littlest wolf?"
- Hayley: "Do you want to?"
- Klaus: (hesitates)
- Hayley: "Come on. Do you feel that?"
- Marcel: "So, this is what Kieran was hiding."
- Cami: "More like stockpiling. From what I can gather, it's mostly weapons."
- Davina: "Dark objects--created by witches."
- Marcel: "And co-opted by the humans."
- Marcel: "Kieran's been keeping this a secret for years. You really sure you wanna show me all this?"
- Cami: "You said knowing my uncle's secrets could get me killed? But, what if those same secrets could save the lives of my friends?"
- Davina: "Look at this! I learned about it in the Lycée, it's called The Devil's Star. They say one throw can make a thousand cuts."
- Marcel: "A thousand cuts sounds about right. I need to make Klaus bleed."
- Hayley: (screaming)
- Elijah: "This was our family's hope. What results did you expect?"
- Hayley: (screaming)
- Klaus: "NO!"