The Forbes Family is one of the main Founding Families in The Vampire Diaries. As for their history, it seems that the family members have a tendency of being the local Sheriff. This family has been committed to protecting the town from vampires for almost 150 years.
- William Forbes: was sheriff of Mystic Falls during the 1860s, and signed the registry at the Lockwood Mansion.
- Gerald Forbes: was sheriff of Mystic Falls during the 1912s, and a founding member.
- Bill Forbes: was a former resident of Mystic Falls, and the father of Caroline Forbes. He returned to the town after being informed by Carol Lockwood that there is a vampire situation that needs dealing with. It's said that he and Caroline used to have a close relationship, and that that would be the reason he tried to help her be more humane. He was once married to Elizabeth Forbes and left her after confessing he was gay. Bill was killed by Alaric Saltzman, who stabbed him to death while having vampire blood in his system, He woke up in transition but choose not to feed and turning into vampire, and eventually died.
- Elizabeth Forbes: is the sheriff of Mystic Falls and the mother of Caroline Forbes. She and her husband are divorced but she still keeps his surname. She seems to have a strained relationship with her daughter Caroline which went worse when she first found out she was a vampire but the second time round she realised she's still her daughter and they have become closer. She is a member of the Founder's Council, who secretly protect the town from vampires.
- Caroline Forbes: who was born on 20 November 1992 she is a vampire and also the best friend of Bonnie Bennett, Elena Gilbert and Stefan Salvatore. Despite her bright and cheerful personality, Caroline is commonly known for insecurities; which causes her to become excessively competitive, especially towards Elena. She is later turned into a vampire by Katherine Pierce. She is seemed to have a girly and cheerful personality and she wears bright and girly clothes, but she becomes more netrual, dark and mature than before after her turning.
The Family Tree depicts only the local Mystic Fall's Family, 1 ancestor from 1864 and 1 ancestor from 1912.
|William Forbes †|
|Gerald Forbes †|
|Bill Forbes †||Elizabeth Forbes|
- In the novels, they mentioned Mr. and Mrs. Forbes, as well as Caroline Forbes and also Caroline's brother Daniel Forbes.