Fire is a weaknesses of vampires. It may also be a weakness for werewolves and hybrids, but it has not been shown. However, Tyler Lockwood (as a hybrid) mentions that the only way to kill him is through decapitation or heart extraction, so this is unclear.
- Damon and Stefan believed Katherine had been killed back in 1864, along with 26 other vampires, when burned in a church.
- Stefan killed Ben with a flamethrower. (Fool Me Once)
- Bonnie almost once killed Damon with a magically created flame, and also used this magic fire against Ben (Fool Me Once).
- Damon was again almost burned to death again when the Founder's Council gathered vampires and tried to burn them in the cellar of an old building. (Founder's Day)
- A member of Jules pack came armed with a flamethrower against the Salvatores. (Daddy Issues)
- Damon tries to torch Elijah with a flame-thrower unsuccessfully, due to Elijah being an Original vampire.
- Damon unknowingly torches Luka. (The House Guest)