Fire is a method of killing that involves the burning of a subject with an open flame. This is a method which can be used to harm supernatural species such as vampires, werewolves, hybrids and witches. The most common way this method is used usually involves restraining the movement of the subject, dousing them with an accelerant before lighting them on fire. Thus, killing them from immolation. Witches are able to cause spontaneous combustions through magic.
- Ben McKittrick
- Luka Martin
- Tomb Vampires
- Emily Bennett
- The Travelers
- Nora Hildegard
- Mary Louise
- Beatrice Bennett
- 100 Witches
- Stefan Salvatore
- Katherine Pierce
- Stefan Salvatore
- Jeremy Gilbert
- Ethan Maxwell
- Vicki Donovan
- Katherine Pierce
- Bonnie Bennett
- Damon and Stefan believed Katherine had been killed back in 1864, along with 26 other vampires, when burned in a church.
- Stefan killed Ben with a flamethrower. ("Fool Me Once")
- Bonnie almost once killed Damon with a magically created flame, and also used this magic fire against Ben. ("Fool Me Once")
- Damon was again almost burned to death again when the Founder's Council gathered vampires and tried to burn them in the cellar of an old building. ("Founder's Day")
- A member of Jules' pack came armed with a flamethrower against the Salvatores. ("Daddy Issues")
- Damon tries to torch Elijah with a flame-thrower unsuccessfully, due to Elijah being an Original Vampire.
- Damon unknowingly torches Luka. ("The House Guest")
Hellfire was a supernatural, psychic fire originating from Hell. It was incredibly powerful and capable of destroying anything within its path. After the destruction of Hell it remains unknown if it's possible to recreate it.
Hellfire was created when Arcadius was killed and, unleashing a powerful psychic blast, created an imprint of his death (burning at the stake). Ever since, it's been used to torture souls in hell. Hellfire became able to be released upon the earth when the Bennett Coven's mystically imbued bell was corrupted by a sirened Ethan Maxwell with the Staff of Arcadius. The amplified properties of the staff made it possible for the psychic walls of Hell to be breached with 12 rings by an individual from the Maxwell bloodline.
- Mystic Energy: According to Bonnie, hellfire possesses enough energy to destroy hell. This was proven when Bonnie and the Bennett ancestry, redirected hellfire back to hell destroying it.
- Massive Destruction: Hellfire is capable of consuming anything within miles of where the bell was rung and has almost destroyed Mystic Falls twice. In order to stop it, it was necessary to utilize the magic of the entire Bennett Coven.
To date, Arcadius has been to only known Psychic able to manipulate fire, though specifically Hellfire. This, seemingly, stems from the fact that Hellfire is tied to his personal psychic dimension, Hell, as had only gained this ability after his death. In Nostalgia's a Bitch, Seline explained how the world Arcadius created is a massive psychic imprint of the moment of his death, making his domain a ball of fire. She also stated that hellfire could kill a Siren. Sometime after the the Maxwell Bell rang eleven times, Arcadius appeared and used his hellfire to kill both Sybil and Seline, confirming the power embodied in hellfire. In What Are You?, Arcadius used hellfire to ignite the Maxwell journal, rendering it into ash.
- Original Vampires cannot be killed with fire as mentioned by Elijah although, it is unclear if they can still be harmed by it.
- It is unconfirmed if fire can kill hybrids. However, Tyler Lockwood, a hybrid, mentions that the only way to kill him is through decapitation or heart extraction, so this is unclear.
- Despite their ability to control fire, witches are able to be burnt to death.
- Naturally, vampires and original vampires burn in the Sun.
- According to Katherine, hellfire is extremely powerful and has the ability to destroy anything.