|“|| Jo: In our coven's tradition, after their 22nd birthday, the twins merge their strength. Stronger one wins, absorbing their twin's power and the weaker of the two...|
Tyler: The weaker of the two... what?
Luke: The weaker one dies.
FRIENDSGIVING AT WHITMORE COLLEGE / FLASHBACKS TO KAI’S MURDEROUS PAST — As Caroline and Elena prepare to host Friendsgiving at the dorm, they receive some hopeful news from Alaric and Stefan, who have traveled to Portland to gather some information regarding the Gemini Coven. Tyler is determined to help Liv after she and Luke reveal some disturbing information about their witch lineage and the impending plans their coven has for them. Meanwhile dinner takes a drastic turn when Jo, who has revealed some painful details about her past, finds herself fighting for her life, leaving Alaric scrambling to help from a distance. Finally, Kai makes a dangerous discovery that brings him one step closer to his release. Damon and Bonnie also appear.
|Caroline (Candice Accola) organizes a "friendsgiving dinner" for the Thanksgiving Day and she invites everyone except Stefan (Paul Wesley). Jo (Jodi Lyn O'Keefe) is the first to arrive and when Elena (Nina Dobrev) asks her where Alaric (Matt Davis) is, Jo tells them that Alaric had to make an unplanned trip with Damon (Ian Somerhalder) and Stefan. Elena calls Alaric only to find out that Bonnie (Kat Graham) is probably alive and they had to make this trip to find a way to save her.
Liam (Marco James) arrives at the "friendsgiving dinner" and apologizes to Elena. Liv (Penelope Mitchell) also arrives but she does not seem to be in a very good mood and Tyler (Michael Trevino) tries to understand what is wrong. Luke (Chris Brochu) gets to the dinner last bringing a video of him and Liv from their fourth birthday for everyone to see. He plays it and when Jo hears it, she recognizes her voice and reveals that she is Liv and Lukas' sister.
Jo tells everyone the story of her family and what her brother Kai (Chris Wood) did eighteen years ago. The leaders of their coven, the Gemini coven, come from twins. Her and Kai should be the ones to follow the leadership but Kai was born without his own magic and he had to consume it from others. When their father realized that Kai would not be the best person to lead the coven, they kept having kids until another set of twins was born. When Kai found out, he killed his four other siblings and was after Liv and Lucas too. Jo protected them with her magic and agreed to merge with him for the leadership to save their lives. Jo, though, hid her magic and Kai was not able to merge with her. Their father, with the help of Sheila Bennett, used the power of the eclipse to send him away in his prison of 1994. When Elena asks why Liv is so upset about being the leader of the coven, Jo and Luke clarify that after the merge, the weaker of the twins dies.
In the meantime, Damon, Stefan and Alaric get to Portland to investigate about the Gemini coven. They find the house but no one seems to be there. Alaric finds pictures of Jo inside the house and in one of the pictures, Damon recognizes Kai. A man appears who introduces himself as the father of Kai, Joshua Parker(Christopher Cousins), and when he shakes hands with Damon, he makes them and the house disappear so Alaric and Stefan cannot see them. He uses his powers on Damon to knock him out and takes him into the house. When Damon wakes up, Joshua wants to know how Damon met Kai and if Kai can get himself out of his prison. Damon tells him everything and that they need the ascendant to get Bonnie out of there, but Joshua does not want to give it to him.
Joshua realizes that since Kai has the ascendant and while being trapped with a Bennett witch, he will finally find his way out. To make sure that he will not merge with Jo, he casts a spell to kill her. Meanwhile, outside the house, Alaric is on the phone with Jo. She informs him that the ascendant is with her and that her father will not allow them to open Kai's world. While they are talking, Jo collapses due to her father's spell. Elena and Liam try to help her while she gives Stefan and Alaric directions how to get into the house. Stefan gets into the house in time to save Damon and Elena is forced to heal Jo by using her blood in front of Liam. Liam is confused and asks for explanations, Elena tells him the truth but she immediately compels him to forget everything about it.
In 1994, Kai brings Bonnie to Portland and offers to cook Thanksgiving dinner to her. They make a deal that after that, everyone will take their separate ways. During the dinner Kai tells Bonnie the whole story about his family and how they locked him up there. He also reveals to her that all this time he was wondering where his sister's magic went when they tried to merge but he figured it out when Bonnie put her magic away for safety. He finds the knife where Jo put her magic and he consumes it. Bonnie reminds him that since she does not have her magic, he cannot do the spell since he needs a Bennett witch. Kai tells her that after seeing the spell twice, he knows that he only needs Bennett's blood so he stabs her with the knife. Later on, Bonnie wakes up to realize that Kai left to go back to Mystic Falls leaving her alone in Portland.
- Antagonists: Kai and Joshua Parker.
- There was a one week break after the episode aired to accommodate the American Thanksgiving holiday.
- This episode marks the first time this season that Tyler appears in two episodes in a row.
- Friendsgiving refers to Thanksgiving. In 2012, Thanksgiving was on Thursday, November 22.
- Kai tells Bonnie by his count he's spent 6,771 consecutive repeating the same day over and over in the prison world, which allows him to figure out that it's Thanksgiving. He tells Bonnie he wants to talk as they have Thanksgiving dinner before they go their separate ways, but it's really just a plot to get her blood and his twin sister's magic.
- Elena breaks up with Liam and compels him to forget their relationship, as she isn't able to explain her complicated life to him. She also compelled him to forget that he learned she was a vampire.
- Jo reveals that she forged "Lady Whitmore's" medical records so that Liam would stop investigating her miraculous recovery after Elena fed her vampire blood to heal her.
- Stefan, Alaric and Damon go on a road trip to Portland, Oregon, to track down the Gemini Coven.
- This episode reveals a vampire can be invited into a house by a resident or former resident—even if that resident has not been to the house in decades and even if the resident is far away—when Jo invites Stefan into her family home from miles away over the phone.
- Elena tells Alaric over the phone that she wishes he was there as the number of men at Friendsgiving is small because Jeremy and Matt are handling the Tripp situation and couldn't attend.
- Alaric informs Elena that Bonnie may still be alive, which is also overheard by Caroline.
- It is revealed that Jo, Liv, Luke, and Kai are siblings, and that Kai and Jo are twins.
- This episode shows the family house of Jo, Liv, Luke, Kai and their father Joshua Parker, which is cloaked to be invisible with a spell. However, this spell can be disrupted if a witch or an object with a witch's magic stored inside crosses the boundary of the spell, as evidenced when Stefan, Alaric, and Damon broke the spell with Ms. Cuddles (which contained Bonnie's magic) and Kai's old hunting knife (which contained Jo's magic)
- There are several flashbacks from Jo and Kai's past in 1994, just before Kai was sent away to the prison world after he murdered four of his siblings.
- Damon, Alaric, and Stefan meet Jo's dad.
- It is revealed that Jo's dad is the Gemini Coven's leader and that a leader is always the surviving twin after the performance of the Merge ritual. Since Liv and Luke are the only twins currently in the coven, they are next in line for Joshua's position, and will have to perform the Merge upon their 22nd birthday in order to double their magical strength, which kills the weaker of the twins in the process.
- Alaric was compelled by Damon for the first time to get the Ascendant from Jo anyway he can. Stefan opposed this reaction, but Damon insisted it was the only way they could get Bonnie back.
- Joshua Parker almost killed Jo but she was saved by Elena, who gave her some blood to heal Jo.
- Kai finds the knife that contains Jo's magic and siphons the power from it. He also used the knife to stab Bonnie so he can use her Bennett blood to perform the spell with the 1994 prison world copy of the Ascendant to escape back to the living world.
- Portland, Oregon
- McKinley, Virginia
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Prison World
- Portland, Oregon
- This is the third holiday episode seen in the series.
- This is also the second episode this season in which Matt, Enzo and Jeremy are the only characters who don't appear in an episode.
- The first time was in The World Has Turned and Left Me Here.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had 1.68 viewers in the USA, which is 0.14 million more than the previous episode.
- Hashtag during the airing is #HappyFangsgiving
- "Fade Into You" is a song by Mazzy Star from their 1993 album So Tonight That I Might See. It was released as a single in spring 1994.