Esther's necklace is a silver talisman that was created by Esther. At some point before her death, Esther had handed the amulet down to her daughter, Rebekah, for safe-keeping. In the early 1920s as Rebekah and Klaus tried to evade their vengeful father, Mikael, Rebekah had lost the talisman during their flee. Stefan Salvatore found it, not knowing it was Rebekah's due to Klaus' compulsion, and gave it to Elena Gilbert many decades later.
Throughtout the Series
After filling the amulet with vervain, Stefan had later given the necklace to his girlfriend, Elena Gilbert, who had worn the necklace throughout most of the series. Stefan filled the necklace with vervain because he didn't want Damon, or any other vampires, to compel Elena.
In Know Thy Enemy, when Katherine abducts Elena, she steals her necklace, and when she was kidnapped by Klaus' witch, she loses the necklace in Alaric's place.
After the necklace was stolen by Katherine Pierce, Damon Salvatore had once again returned the talisman to Elena as a birthday present. Meanwhile, in Chicago, a powerful witch named Gloria attempted to locate the necklace by using Rebekah as ammunition. When the necklace burned Elena, Bonnie offers her help to find out what was wrong with it. Later, as Bonnie attempts to find the origin of the necklace, the amulet suddenly begins to float within mid-air. The following day, as Katherine masquerades as Elena, she cleverly swipes the necklace from Bonnie. After the return of Sheila Bennett, together, Bonnie and Sheila perform a spell that would destroy the Original Witch's Talisman. However, the talisman reconstructs the damage, and appears intact and unharmed. Later it was given by Elena to Rebekah, who she then stabs with the White Oak Ash Dagger, neutralizing her. It was also shown in one of Bonnie's dreams, in which it was in a coffin which was occupied by Klaus.
Former Owners of the Necklace
- The amulet can be used to connect to Esther.
- The amulet is an indestructible talisman.
- The amulet allowed Esther to use magic in the living world, while she was on the Other Side.
- The amulet contains a portion of Esther's magic.
- Esther's Neclace is a retroactive continuity; originally, it was just an ordinary necklace belonging to Stefan, and had no apparent importance other than to prevent compulsion. It was shown in a flashback to belong to Esther, Rebekah, and Katherine, though she and Elijah showed no memory of it when they saw Elena with it.