Enhanced Original is a term used to describe the type of vampire Alaric Saltzman became when Esther recreated the original vampire spell to turn him. She made changes such as binding Alaric's life to the doppelgänger whereas with the other Originals their Immortality was given from the White Oak Tree. This means that he cannot be killed at all as long as Elena lives, thus meaning even the White Oak Stake or the daggers have no effect on him at all as it will not even neutralize him. The only way he could die is if someone killed Elena, which is why he had to guard her life. His darker personality is enhanced as well, as his original personality is now gone completely, replaced by the vampire-hating serial killer that was created as a result of using the Gilbert ring to come back to life.
Whether Originals were always as strong as they are now or simply were once weaker but grew stronger through age is unknown, but Alaric, a newborn Original, was easily stronger than Caroline, Stefan, Damon, Rebekah, and even Klaus, the latter two being at least 1,000 years old. This is demonstrated when Alaric easily removes Klaus's hand from his chest and twists it and proceeds to throw him around as if he were nothing, and almost staking him, though Elena saved Klaus at that time by threatening to kill herself. He again easily overpowers Rebekah in The Departed.
Since the Original's immense power comes from the spell being designed to make them stronger and faster than the werewolves, it is then likely that the Enhanced Original is superior in every way to normal Originals from strength to speed because he is designed to kill other Originals by Esther, thus producing the "Ultimate Hunter", someone with enough power to wipe out all of the original family left living.
His life is bound to Elena's, as Esther needed a Doppelgänger since they have a limited human life span, as long as Elena stays alive he will too and it is also a way of ensuring he will eventually die as Esther does not intend to have any more vampires roaming around after the Originals and their progeny have been killed. If Elena was near death or dying, then it would affect Alaric. When Elena was dying as Alaric is fighting Damon, it allowed Damon to get the upper hand, and Alaric died as soon as Elena drowned underwater.
Powers & AbilitiesEdit
- Super Strength - Enhanced Originals vampires are much stronger than other vampires, werewolves, and humans. They are able to decapitate other species with a single chop and shatter windows and doors with small objects. Alaric's type of vampirism, despite being a newly turned, affords him far greater strength than even Klaus and Rebekah, the latter afirming to Klaus: "He's strong, Nik. Too strong."
- Super Speed - Enhanced Originals vampires are much faster than other vampires, werewolves, and humans. They are able to stop other supernatural species in their tracks and run miles in mere minutes. The enhanced Original is faster than a normal original, seeing how easily he was able to stop Rebekah in her tracks. They are even able to outrun C4 explosions with ease.
- Super Senses -Vampires have extremely keen senses of hearing, sight and smell. Originals however have a much more keen sense of each and so the Enhanced version is likely even more superior.
- Super Agility - Enhanced Originals possess superhuman agility. They can move, jump, climb, and run incredibly fast without difficulty or exhaustion.
- Super Healing - Enhanced Originals vampires injuries heal faster than other vampires, werewolves, and humans.
- Super Durability - Enhanced Originals vampires can take far more trauma than other vampires, werewolves, and humans can without much discomfort or injury. Originals can heal faster than normal vampires when exposed to vervain and wood does not seem to weaken them, even the White Oak stake will not affect the Enhanced Original Vampire.
- Mind Compulsion - Enhanced Originals vampires can compel the minds of humans, vampires, and hybrids.
- Dream Manipulation - Enhanced Original vampires can control dreams and subconscious. The vampires can produce and modify dreams, bestow nightmares or lucid dreaming. Other effects of this ability is the distortion of reality and trapped in the dreams.
- Emotional Control - Enhanced Original vampires can control and manipulate the emotions of one's self. Alaric was completely devoid of humanity while in his Enhanced Original state, completely driven by "The Darkness".
- Semi-Immortality - Alaric will not age at all but his life span is the same as Elena's meaning once she dies of old age or by any other means, Alaric will soon follow.
- Invulnerability - Alaric, the only Enhanced Original has few weaknesses compared to other Originals but is not fully immortal as once Elena dies, even by old age then so will he but he cannot be harmed by any stake even the white oak or the daggers.
- Uninvited Invitation - In order to enter any house owned by human/s, they had to be invited by that person. Once invited the vampire cannot be uninvited. If a vampire lives in a house, other vampires can enter freely and if vampire is in the house without being invited in it will become disoriented and will begin to suffocate.
- Sunlight - Also burns Originals like normal vampires, but it cannot kill them. Alaric was able to tolerate the sunlight better than the Originals and other Vampire as Rebekah was shown quickly taking cover upon being burnt in one episode, while Alaric calmly dragged Caroline into the school while being burnt.
- Elena - If Elena dies, then so shall the only enhanced original vampire that is tied to her, which is Alaric which means he is unable to kill her and has to make sure she is safe.
- Magic - Since an enhanced original is a supernatural entity presumably a witch/warlock with enough magical power at her/his disposal could harm or even kill it.
- Vervain - Vervain burns Originals just like it does with the other vampires, although an Original will heal very fast to the point where the damage done by the vervain is gone in seconds.
- Alaric Saltzman: Was made an Enhanced Original by Esther as a method to kill her children. Along with turning Alaric into an Original, Esther also took his revival ring and combined it with the only remaining White Oak Stake to make the stake invincible, she has stated that after his task is complete, he will die, meaning Esther will also want Alaric dead along with all other vampires.
- In Do Not Go Gentle, Esther said that Alaric will be like her children - stronger and faster, but also a true hunter, like Mikael. His hatred for vampires will be magnified and she also granted him the power to complete the task. He has since demonstrated he is more powerful than basic originals like Rebekah and even more powerful than the original hybrid, Klaus, as shown in Before Sunset, where he easily twists Klaus's hand, which is piercing his heart, and throws him around twice, Klaus unable to even properly stand after that.
- Although as demonstrated in Before Sunset vervain burns an enhanced original, the reason that vervain burns regular originals is because it grew at the base of the white oak tree and as the enhanced original was created without drawing power from that tree it should logically not effect him. This could be a mistake or part of an unknown step in the ritual that created him.