|“||Even in death, your heart is pure Stefan. I sense that about you. That'll be your curse.||”|
Emily Bennett was an extremely powerful witch who lived during the 19th century. She's also an ancestor of the Bennett bloodline.
This character was a member of the Bennett Family.
Emily Bennett was born in the early 1800s along the bay colony of New England. At some point during her life, she became the handmaiden of a vampire named Katherine Pierce. Katherine took Emily under her wing, and the two women became close friends, until Katherine betrayed Emily by informing the city council that Emily was a witch. Fearing the fate of her children Emily promised Damon Salvatore that she would cast a spell to protect Katherine in exchange for protecting her family. After Emily was burned at the stake by the Founding Families, her possessions were taken (including her Grimoire) and were buried in earth with Giuseppe Salvatore. After Katherine was saved from the church, she went to see the Salvatore brothers, who had been shot in the chest. Emily had made them rings for the sunlight, so they wouldn't burn.
Powers and Abilities
- Channeling: The act of drawing and/or summoning extra forms of energy by focusing on celestial events.
- Conjuration: The act of calling, commanding, or summoning a certain object, person, and/or spirit already in existence.
- Elemental Control: The act of controlling and manipulating the elements of air, earth, fire, water, and weather.
- Mind Control: The act of controlling and manipulating the minds of humans. (Similar to Compulsion)
- Mind Stunning: The act of bemusing and/or rendering a person unconscious.
- Pain Infliction: The act of creating and inflicting excruciating pain upon another person, especially vampires.
- Precognition: The act of foreseeing both future and past events by natural viewing.
- Spell Casting: The act of changing and/or controlling events through the use of charms, hexes, rituals, etc.
- Telekinesis: The act of controlling and manipulating the movements of objects and persons by mental influence.
- Witches Brew: The act of brewing and concocting paranormal potions that contain supernatural properties.
Weaknesses and Vulnerabilities
- Fear: A distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the condition or feeling of being afraid could cause a witch to temporarily lose their powers.
- Overuse Of Magic: The excessive use of magic could lead a witch to death from over-exertion.
- Candles: Materials used to amplify a witch’s spell.
- Grimoires: A family journal documented with ancient recipes, rituals, and spells.
- Herbs and Stones: Materials used as ingredients for brewing and concocting magical potions.
- Talismans: Materials used to amplify a witch’s power.
- Season 1
- Lost Girls (flashback)
- 162 Candles
- History Repeating
- Children of the Damned (flashback)
- Blood Brothers (flashback)
- Season 2
- As I Lay Dying (In Bonnie Bennett's voice)
- Emily is from the Latin "Aemilius", meaning "rival". Not popular in English language until the 1700s.
- Emily is played by two actors, the first being Jasmine Burke who appeared in one episode and the second being Bianca Lawson.
- Emily was originally named "Birdie Mae", before her actress, Jasmine Burke, was recast.
- Emily is the first ghost shown in the series, when she possessed Bonnie.