|“||Nature keeps a balance to everything...||”|
— Emily Bennett to Stefan Salvatore
Emily Bennett was a very powerful witch who lived during the 19th century. She is also an ancestor of the Bennett bloodline.
Emily Bennett was born in the early 1800's along the bay colony of New England. At some point during her life, she became the handmaiden of a vampire named Katherine Pierce. Emily explained that she and Katherine became close friends after Katherine saved her life from an unspecified death. Katherine later betrayed Emily by informing the city council that Emily was a witch. Condemned to burn at the stake, Emily feared the fate of her children. In a desperate attempt to protect her family, Emily promised Damon Salvatore that she would cast a spell to protect his beloved Katherine in exchange for protecting her lineage. After her death, the Founding Families collected her Grimoires and buried them with Giuseppe Salvatore.
- Season 1
- Lost Girls (flashback)
- 162 Candles
- History Repeating
- Children of the Damned (flashback)
- Blood Brothers (flashback)
- Season 2
- As I Lay Dying (In Bonnie Bennett's voice)
- 500 Years of Solitude (flashback)
- Emily is from the Latin "Aemilius", meaning "rival". Not popular in English language until the 1700's.
- Emily is played by two actors, the first being Jasmine Burke who appeared in one episode and the second being Bianca Lawson.
- Emily was originally named "Birdie Mae", before her actress, Jasmine Burke, was recast.
- Emily is the first ghost shown in the series.
- Emily was the first witch shown to cast a resurrection spell, after Bonnie called on her to bring back Jeremy Gilbert from the dead.