|“||Nature keeps a balance to everything.||”|
— Emily Bennett to Stefan Salvatore
Emily was a member of the Bennett Family.
Emily Bennett was born during the early 1800s, along the Bay Colony of New England. At some point in her life, she became the handmaiden of a vampire named Katherine Pierce. According to Emily, she and Katherine became close friends after Katherine saved her life from an unspecified death. However, Katherine later betrayed Emily by informing the city council that Emily was a witch. Condemned to burn at the stake, Emily feared the fate of her children and in a desperate attempt to protect her family, Emily promised Damon Salvatore that she would cast a spell to protect his beloved Katherine in exchange for protecting her lineage.
Powers and Abilities
Emily was one of the most powerful witches of the Bennett bloodline. Emily was believed to be the only witch known to have enchanted protection spells upon jewelry that enables its human wearer to return to life after being killed by a supernatural creature.
Emily had also proved herself powerful enough to create multiple devices that could help the townspeople to rid the city of demons and monsters. While one of her inventions included a compass with the ability to detect vampires, another invention had the power to incapacitate every vampire and werewolf within a five block radius.Among her many achievements, Emily was most notably known for imprisoning over two dozen vampires underneath the ruins of Fell's Church. According to Damon, Emily Bennett channeled the energy of an over-passing comet to empower herself with enough strength to trap the vampires inside of the tomb for over 145 years.
Emily had the typical weaknesses of a human/witch.
- Lost Girls (flashback)
- Haunted (picture)
- 162 Candles (dream)
- History Repeating (Possessing Bonnie)
- Children of the Damned (flashback)
- Blood Brothers (flashback)
- As I Lay Dying (voice by possessing Bonnie)
- 500 Years of Solitude (flashback)
- Emily is from the Latin "Aemilius", meaning "rival". Emily also means "flatterer" in Latin" and "industrious" in German.
- Other spellings and variations of Emily include Eimile, Em, Emaily, Emalee, Emeli, Emelia, Emelie, Emelita, Emely, Emilee, Emiley, Emili, Emilia, Emilie, Emilis, Emilka, Emillie, Emilly, Emmaline, Emmaly, Emmelie, Emmey, Emmi, Emmie, Emmilly, Emmily, Emmy, Emmye, Emyle.
- Emily Bennett was the first ghost shown in the series.
- Emily Bennett was the first witch shown to cast a resurrection spell.
- Since the collapse of The Other Side, Emily Bennett has either found peace or was sucked into oblivion.
- She is the descendant of Qetsiyah the creator of the true Immortality spell with Silas.
- Emily was responsible for protecting the 26 vampires beneath Mystic Falls.
- Before being called Emily, her original name was Birdie Mae. That was changed and there was a casting change as well.