|“||He despised us. Yes, he was our friend; yes, he was our family. The moment Davina Claire was lost, he became our foe, and a formidable one at that. He was the leader of the Strix, entrusted with all of our secrets and, Niklaus, we betrayed him. I had no choice.||”|
The relationship between the Original Vampire Elijah Mikaelson and the Upgraded Original Vampire Marcel Gerard. Elijah and Marcel's relationship began in the 1800's after Elijah's brother Klaus adopted Marcel into their family when he was a child. The two were very close for a time, until Elijah purposely pushed Marcel away to improve the boy's relationship with Klaus. Since the Mikaelsons' return to New Orleans, Elijah and Marcel have worked both together as allies and against each other as enemies. Currently, the two maintain a prickly but tolerant working relationship while they rebuild their vampire community following their loss of control over the city.
HistoryMarcel and Elijah first met in 1820, when Elijah, Rebekah, and Klaus met Marcel at the funeral of the Governor's son, Emil, who was also Rebekah's former boyfriend and Marcel's half-brother. After Klaus witnessed Marcel being verbally and physically abused by the slave-master on the Governor's plantation, Klaus killed the slave-master and brought Marcel back to the Mikaelson compound to live with him and his siblings, giving him the name Marcellus. From there, Elijah began homeschooling Marcel in various subjects, such as teaching him to read and how to play the piano. During their lessons together, Elijah and Marcel began to grow very close, and Marcel idolized Elijah's ability to play the piano, admitting that he wanted to learn how to play like he did. Shortly afterward, Elijah began to worry that his relationship with Marcel was beginning to have a negative effect on Klaus and his general behavior when Klaus, feeling lonely as a result of the amount of time Marcel and Elijah were spending together, decided to undagger their wild brother Kol so the two could have some fun together.
However, Kol's return to their life resulted in several tense encounters between the brothers, which came to a head when Kol decided to test Elijah and Klaus' loyalty to him. He invited Marcel to watch some actors perform Hamlet in the courtyard, complete with the compelled actors killing each other with swords, and fed him his blood so that he could be turned into a vampire like the rest of the family. It was then that Klaus and Elijah realized Marcel wasn't safe with Kol around, so Elijah and Klaus daggered Kol once again to protect him. Elijah, afraid of the consequences Klaus' jealousy and subsequent extreme behavior as a result of Elijah's relationship with Marcel, decided to purposely treat Marcel cruelly and sacrifice the bond he had with the young boy in favor of the possibility of Klaus' redemption through caring for Marcel. This ultimately became one of many relationships Elijah felt obligated to sacrifice in the name of Klaus' happiness.
As Marcel grew up, Elijah and Marcel presumably maintained a chilly but mostly amiable relationship, as evidenced by their interactions after Marcel returned home from fighting in World War I in 1919. However, when Marcel and Rebekah succeeded in luring Mikael to New Orleans in hopes of chasing Klaus away and allowing them to finally be in a relationship, Mikael ravaged the town, killing many of the city's supernatural creatures and forcing Elijah, Klaus, and Rebekah to flee their home in the French Quarter for nearly a century. Following their encounter with Mikael in 1919, it was presumed that Marcel had been killed by their father in the chaos, and according to Klaus, each of the Mikaelson siblings mourned him in their own ways; it wasn't until Klaus and Elijah returned to New Orleans in 2011 that they finally learned that Marcel was not only still alive, but had taken control of the supernatural community in their absence.
Throughout The Originals Series
- Marcel: (in a phone conversation with one of his vampires) "I know how to handle Klaus."
- Elijah: "Is that so? Please elaborate."
- Marcel: "Elijah Mikaelson."
- Elijah: "It's time we had a little chat."
- -- Always and Forever
- Marcel: (Elijah meeting Marcel in an alley. Where Gia is playing her violin) "Let me guess Davina is nowhere to be found. She wasn't in the attic, wasn't near the lycée."
- Elijah: "I have people looking all over this city. She is gone. No doubt to protect Mikael while he recovers from the wounds he sustained."
- Marcel: "She's scared, what do you expect?"
- Elijah: "If I discover that you had even the slightest suspicion that she brought Father back."
- Marcel: "Yeah, What? You gonna threaten me? My people? I mean, get in line. The witches hate us, the wolves can kill us anytime they like. I can't even go into the quarter without risking my damn life, and I used to run the quarter. And now Mikael's back-- the vampire who hunts vampires. You really think that works in my favor? You want help finding Davina? I need to know where you stand. Now, Klaus is on team wolf. What are you?"
- Elijah: "I don't do teams".
- Marcel: "I'm sorry, but that's not an option. See, you're an Original. Every vampire that's ever been sired is an extension of you and your family. Now, you can walk away from that, and side with Klaus and the wolves, but you're not one of them, and you never will be. You want allies, right? Look around. This is ground zero for a new vampire community. Now, you may think you're better than us, but we're all you got".
- Elijah: "And why would I play benefactor to a collection of lost children?"
- Marcel: "That's right. You never were any good with children. But, like it or not, vampires exist because of you".
- (Marcel walks over to Gia)
- Marcel: "And these folks are gonna need your help".
- (Marcel snaps her neck in front of Elijah)
- Marcel: "Her name's Gia. I fed her my blood a few hours ago. When she wakes up, she's gonna need a mentor. I hope that you do better with her than you did with me".
- Elijah: "I could have warned you."
- Marcel: "Look, I didn't tell you I was coming tonight because --"
- Elijah: "-- I wouldn't have allowed it."
- Marcel: "Yeah. There's that word: allowed. You know, I thought I'd earned the right to be considered an equal, but that's not the way it works in your family. So, it's time I consider my options. If nothing else, The Strix aren't interested in me as a sidekick."
- (Marcel walks up to Elijah, who has at the plantation)
- Marcel: It's a funny thing being here where it all began.
- Elijah: Doesn't it all feel like yesterday? That funeral procession took place just beyond those trees as I recall, that swealtering heat. Amazed Niklaus managed to see any of it at all and yet... He saw that tortured little boy.
- Marcel: You getting nostalgic in your old age? Well, I guess it's to be expected, given the circumstances. (turns to face Elijah) But why did you ask me here Elijah?
- (Elijah turns to face Marcel)
- Elijah: I'm a danger to my family.
- Marcel: What?
- Elijah: You see Marcel my disease has always been blind devotion to my brother. A thousand years and whenever he has needed me I have been there. And no matter what I do... I'm at the complete mercy of that devotion. I can't do that anymore.
- Marcel: What are you asking me to do? I don't understand.
- Elijah: You have to end this for me.
- Marcel: What do you want me to do? You want me to put you down?
- Elijah: I want you to set me free.
- Though Marcel likes Klaus and Rebekah, he does not like Elijah, and the feeling seemed to be mutual.
- In Alive and Kicking, it was revealed that this was not always the case - in 1821, Elijah and Marcel were actually extremely closed, but Elijah sacrificed his close bond with the boy when he realized it would be better for both if Klaus was the one who was close to him instead.
- As of the second season, Marcel and Elijah appear to be slowly rebuilding their friendship.
- In The Casket Girls, Elijah and Marcel formed an uneasy alliance together to find Davina.
- Elijah exiled Marcel from the French Quarter after he learned of Marcel's role in Mikael finding them in New Orleans in 1919, and promised that if he ever saw him in the Quarter again, he would kill him.
- It appears that this punishment from Elijah has been lifted as of the second season. However, since Esther and Finn were ruling the town through control over the witches and the werewolves, Marcel, as a vampire, still risks death on sight by the aforementioned groups if he returns to the Quarter.
- Elijah was surprised to see Marcel in the Strix Gala.
- In The Other Girl in New Orleans, Marcel stabs Elijah with a stake to earn the faith of Tristan.
- But he didn't stake Elijah with the Cursed Stake as he was told as he didn't really want to harm him.
- Elijah betrayed Marcel by letting Freya use Davina in a spell. He also killed him not knowing that Marcel drank a serum.
- In I Hear You Knocking, the Hollow haunted Marcel with hallucinations of Elijah, as he is the person Marcel hates and fears the most.