|“||We have fought together for centuries, and once again to break your enemy, you broke your family.||”|
Elijah Mikaelson is the deuteragonist of The Originals. He was formerly a major recurring character in The Vampire Diaries, serving initially as an antagonist in the second season and eventually becoming a supporting character in the third season and fourth season. Elijah is an Original Vampire.
Elijah is the second son of Mikael and Esther. He is the younger brother of Freya Mikaelson and Finn Mikaelson, and the older brother of Kol Mikaelson, Rebekah Mikaelson and Henrik Mikaelson. Elijah is also the older half-brother of Niklaus Mikaelson, and the uncle of Hope Mikaelson, Klaus' daughter with Hayley Marshall.
Throughout his long life, Elijah has had a few romantic relationships. In the 10th century, Elijah and Klaus were both in love with a Petrova Doppelgänger named Tatia. Upon their transformations into vampires, Elijah accidentally killed her, greatly shaking him. After seeing him kill the woman he loved, Elijah's mother told him to seal the event behind a 'red door' and to clean himself up; as long as he was clean, nothing of what happened behind the red door could hurt him. As such, this became Elijah's defense mechanism to cope with the horrors of his vampirism for the next thousand years. In the 15th century, Elijah was romantically involved with another Petrova Doppelgänger, a young girl from Bulgaria, named Katerina Petrova. In the 19th century, Elijah was romantically involved with a witch named Céleste Dubois, whose death was later caused by his half-brother Klaus. In the 21st century, Elijah rekindled his relationship with Katerina Petrova aka Katherine Pierce, before ending it to go to New Orleans to help Klaus. In New Orleans, Elijah has developed feelings for Hayley Marshall, after he promised to protect her and the child she was carrying. Since then he has kept his distance considering she is now married to Jackson Kenner.
Elijah has the closest relationship with Klaus, who he wishes to maintain a good relationship with. The two live and work together to defeat their enemies in New Orleans. In the second season of The Originals, Elijah continued to work with Klaus in effort to stop Esther, a revived Finn and a revived Mikael. He also took Gia, one of Marcel's vampires as his protégé, whom he had a romantic relationship with.
Elijah is a member of the Mikaelson Family.
10th Century to 13th Century
Mystic Falls, The Middle Ages, 10th CenturyElijah Mikaelson was the third-born of Mikael and Esther's children, born in an area of the New World that would come to be known as Mystic Falls, Virginia. Elijah's parents fled from Europe, with his older brother, Finn, after the death of his older sister, Freya, from the plague while Esther was pregnant with Elijah. The first of their children to be born in the New World, Elijah was followed by three brothers, Niklaus, Kol and Henrik, and a sister, Rebekah.
The loss of his first born had hardened Mikael and he proved to be a very strict father, who was feared by all his children. Elijah had a close relationship with his mother, who once mentioned to him that, when she was pregnant with him, she would have Freya sing to him. This was one of the few times Esther ever spoke of her lost daughter. In addition, Elijah was very close to his siblings, with the exception of Finn, who had never recovered from losing Freya and never taken to his new siblings as a result. Elijah was closest to Niklaus and Rebekah, and his younger brother would often carve figurines and statuettes for his brother and sister.
However, while Mikael was hard on all his children, he was hardest on Niklaus, whom he saw as weak. Once, when Elijah took his younger brother hunting and complimented him on the improvement of his aim (despite the fact that Niklaus had missed his target), Mikael arrived and started beating Niklaus to 'strengthen' him, threatening Elijah with violence if he tried to intervene. He carried guilt for the rest of his life for not stopping their father's beatings against his brother. Once, Mikael beat Niklaus to near death in a rage and only stopped when both Elijah and Rebekah tried to stop him. That night, Rebekah tried to kill Mikael as he slept to end his abuse of Niklaus but Elijah stopped her and considered killing his father himself. Ultimately, he didn't.They lived among the werewolves for about twenty years and during the full moon, the humans would simply hide in the underground caves while the werewolves turned. During Elijah's early life, Elijah and Niklaus both fell in love with a woman named Tatia who lived in their village. All the villagers wanted to be her suitors including Klaus and Elijah, both of them during their time with her, argued with each other and fought each other because they both wanted her for themselves. Tatia chose Elijah to be her next husband when the time came.
One morning after a full moon, Klaus came out of the woods, holding his dead little brother Henrik in his arms. Elijah came running to join his mother as she grieved Henrik's death.
To ensure that the rest of her family would survive, Esther used a spell to make her children immortal. Mikael gave his children wine laced with Tatia's blood. Then he stabbed Elijah and his siblings through their hearts and made them drink human blood. After becoming a vampire, Elijah, along with his family, made sure that the White Oak Tree, their one true weakness, would be destroyed. However, nature retaliated against them and, for every strength, there was a weakness, none stronger than the desire for what had made them immortal: human blood. They had become the very first vampires.
Shortly after becoming a vampire, one night when Niklaus made his first human kill, it triggered his werewolf side. Klaus went on a rampage in wolf form. When he awoke the following morning he was tended to by Elijah unbeknownst to them Tatia had followed them to see what happened. Seeing all the carnage created by Klaus she ran from them in fear and was pursued by Elijah. She had tripped and fell while trying to flee and cut her hand. The blood made Elijah lose control and attack her. She tried to defend herself but was no match and was killed. Elijah brought her corpse to a shocked Esther who used her blood as part of the spell used to bind Klaus' werewolf side, which resulted in Klaus' werewolf gene being dormant. Mikael also made Elijah help him in tying up Klaus so that his mother could do the spell. Elijah suppressed the memory of how Tatia actually died believing he had compelled not killed her in the woods and that Esther killed her when performing the hybrid curse.
Then one night, his mother was killed by "Mikael". After burying their mother, Elijah, Klaus, and Rebekah promised that they would never turn their backs on each other and that they would stick together as one, always and forever.
Italy, 1114Elijah was in Italy along with his siblings Rebekah and Klaus. They came across a vampire hunter named Alexander who was part of a group called The Brotherhood of the Five. Rebekah fell in love with Alexander. Elijah and Klaus took advantage of this as an opportunity to get closer to Alexander and find out his secrets. One day, the siblings were invited to a party at Alexander's home where they were attacked by surprise and daggered. Klaus was unaffected by the dagger thanks to his werewolf lineage and undaggered Elijah and the rest of his siblings except Finn.
14th century - 17th century
According to Elijah's Journal, he had begun noticing Rebekah and Klaus losing their humanity. However, Elijah hoped as their older brother he could lead them down the right path to reclaiming their humanity and carry on the family legacy. But he believed if he fails, their family legacy would fall in ruins.
In England, Elijah and Klaus were noblemen in the late 15th century. In the year 1492 Elijah met Katerina Petrova, who was the Doppelgänger of Tatia and moments later, showed her to his younger brother Niklaus. Katerina was the key to breaking Klaus' Hybrid Curse through sacrifice. While Elijah was helping Klaus achieve his goal, he started to fall in love with Katerina. And when Elijah one day saw Katerina bored, he took her outside to have fun and then they sat at a bench and talked about love. Elijah confessed to her that he didn't believe in love, but Katerina didn't believe him, saying that without love, they wouldn't have a reason to live at all. Klaus then came and interrupted, taking Katerina with him and away from Elijah. Elijah then tried to persuade Klaus to spare her life, but Klaus told him not to bother and that the ritual would go on as planned. On the night of the full moon, Katerina took the moonstone and fled with the help of Trevor.
Klaus assumed Elijah helped her because of their discussion the night before about sparing her life. Elijah promised him that he would find her and Klaus responded with a promise of his own; if he did not find Katerina, he would be killed. Elijah attempted to track down Katerina, but failed.
Cadiz, Spain, 1702
In 1702, Kol's violence in Cadiz, Spain drew too much attention and brought Mikael, straight to the family, burning the country in his wake. While the flames drew closer, Elijah and Klaus searched for Kol while Rebekah brought the daggered Finn onboard a ship to flee from Europe. They found him in a tavern where he drank and feasted on humans carelessly. Despite their warnings of Mikael's arrival, he refused to flee. When Klaus and Elijah insisted, Kol attempted to resist them but was subdued by Elijah as Klaus pulled out one of the white oak ash daggers and successfully daggered and neutralized Kol.
New Orleans, 18th century - 20th century
1700'sIn 1713, having fled Europe from Mikael, Elijah, along with Klaus and Rebekah, and their two daggered brothers, sailed across the world, through the Mississippi River and arrived in the French colony of Louisiana, off the shores of a town they have named New Orleans, 300 years from the present. Upon arriving off the coast of New Orleans, they slaughtered all the men who boarded their ship, but left one alive to question and carry their luggage, including the two coffins of their neutralized brothers, Kol and Finn.
1800'sIn 1820, Elijah, Klaus and Rebekah were living in New Orleans at the Governor's mansion and paid him in gold to keep quiet about the existence of vampires. One day the Governor threw a party for the Mikaelsons. Rebekah went upstairs with the Governor's son who she wanted to turn. Elijah was seen kissing a women and having fun when Rebekah came to him with the Governor's son and asked Elijah if she could turn him, to which Elijah suggested it would be an unwise move to turn the Governor's son into a vampire.
Klaus told her no and told her that if she turned every boy she fell in love with, the humans would cease to exist. The boy then argued with Klaus and he threw him down the stairs while Elijah tried to stop it. While the siblings were going to attend the Governor's son funeral, Klaus saw a boy being whipped and threw an apple at the man and made him stop whipping the boy. Klaus then came to the boy, named him Marcellus and brought him to the family, Elijah saw this and told his sister: "Perhaps there is hope for our brother after all".
Later in 1820 Elijah is seen visiting the witch Celeste, who is seen taking a bath and is looking at Elijah, he likes the view of her. He's seeing it as perfection. Celeste then mentions that his brother, Niklaus, is again up to no good. He's challenging the gentry to duels as though they have any chance of a fair fight. They talk about Niklaus and kiss before Elijah goes to meet his brother.Klaus is seen challenging a man in a duel in which Klaus is left standing as the victor and the other man is shot to the head. Elijah then becomes a little worried and asks him if it is not enough that he has slaughtered dozens in past several weeks, and explains that words of a city littered with bodies will surely travel the oceans and asks him if he wants to bring their father upon them. Klaus tells Elijah to relax because he has sent rumors that the bodies are result of the witches seeking blood sacrifices for their rituals. Elijah is shocked by this and asks Klaus if he has forgotten that Celeste is one of those witches that he recklessly pointed his finger at. Klaus then asks, who Celeste even is.
Elijah then gives him a meaningful look and Klaus remembers that Celeste is the witch Elijah has been knocking around with. Elijah takes a revolver and shoots Klaus, who groans in pain. Klaus sees that Elijah cares about Celeste and warns him that they're rounding up the town's witches as they speak. Elijah then began to look for Celeste and found her lying in the bathtub, dead. Elijah touches her, lays his forehead on hers. He screams and blames himself for her death.In the year 1821, Elijah had grown close to Klaus' ward, Marcellus, encouraging and teaching him. The growing bond between Marcellus and Elijah made Klaus extremely jealous since he had been hoping to be Marcellus's mentor. Angrily declaring that he needed someone to spend time with, Klaus revealed to Elijah that he had undaggered their younger brother, Kol. Elijah was shocked and horrified by his youngest brother's awakening, rushing down to the coffins to find that Kol had already killed a number of people. Elijah could only grudgingly watch things play out as Klaus and Kol joyfully spread violence throughout the city, even slaughtering an entire tenement building for fun. Elijah tried to remind them that it was careless and destructive behavior that had cost them homes in the past.
Later, Elijah found Kol tormenting Marcellus, feeding him vampire blood and threatening to turn him, believing in his own twisted mind that it was what Elijah and Klaus wanted. Elijah defended Marcellus from Kol's sadism, grabbing his brother by the neck, only being stopped by Klaus who proceeded to dagger Kol again, recognizing that he was too wild. Elijah later confessed to Kol's daggered body that though he didn't like the daggerings, it was for the best since Kol was a bad influence on Klaus. He also admitted that he'd have to isolate himself from Marcellus to allow Klaus to grow closer to the boy since it would make him a better person. Elijah solemnly sacrificed a close and friendly relationship with Marcellus for Klaus' benefit, treating Marcellus with indifference from that point on.
In the year 1887, 52 years after being daggered by Klaus, Rebekah had finally been undaggered by him. Elijah had helped her reintegrate herself into New Orleans' society and they went to the opera house together. It was a moment that only Elijah and Rebekah shared together.
1900'sIn the year 1914, Elijah attended his family's Christmas party with his siblings. During the party, Klaus gave a toast to the party-goers, revealing that he knew of betrayal planned by their brother Kol, who had been conspiring with witches against him. Elijah, seemingly having also been informed of his younger brother's treachery, stopped Kol as he tried to flee, holding him down while Klaus daggered him.
In the year 1919, Elijah is seen in a meeting room, meeting with members from the Guerrera Family, a family of thieves and butchers according to Klaus, who says that is noting compared to what they turn into on a full moon. Elijah told them that Mayor O'Connell was a little late but they should continue with business without him. Elijah assured them that they didn't need to be scared of Klaus as he made a promise they would be safe and Klaus told them his brother always keeps his word. Then a witch appeared, Elijah told him it was a private meeting. But he said it was a meeting between kings and claimed he was also a king. He presents himeslf as Alphonz Bellatunde Delgallo and that he now speaks for the witches of the French Quarter. He tells them the witches should get their fair share and leaves with a gift to Elijah and Klaus, the Mayor's head.
Later, when Marcel returns home from World War I, he's greeted by both Elijah and Klaus. Klaus tells Marcel, "The prodigal son has finally learned to hold his liquor." Marcel tells him being in the army does that to you. Elijah tells him it's good to have him back, and tells him that Niklaus was beside himself in Marcel's absence. Klaus then tells him that he and Elijah have had a little argument that Marcel might help with a rouge witch who wants a piece of the city they built. Klaus considered to kill him but Elijah meant that negotiation is their best recourse, as Elijah knows how fast news can travel, but also the very horrors of war itself. Klaus reveals that he invited the witch and Elijah told Marcel he could choose what they should do after he saw the witch. Elijah tried to negotiate with him but after all his sacrifices Elijah decided to meet with him in a private room. However Klaus appeared instead as Elijah only comes when they deal and Klaus comes when the deal is closed.
Later that year, Elijah is seen by both Rebekah and Genevieve, Rebekah asks if she is interested in Elijah but she confirms she is interested in Klaus, Rebekah then begins to talk of her older brother Kol who is also a bad boy and she would like him to. At the bar Elijah meets with Clara Summerlin who was possessed by Céleste Dubois at that time. She had spilled her drink and Elijah gives her his tissue and leaves her with a smile.
Six months later in 1919 Elijah and Klaus are seen with a werewolf named Lana who's the Werewolf Queen of the Crescent Wolf Clan. Klaus talked of how werewolves, vampires, witches and dirty-cops are happy as clams and drunk as stoats. They're celebrating to the new era-collaboration in the face of prohibition. Klaus told him they did it, Elijah said he helped build the city but it was all because of Klaus. Elijah and Klaus sat and drink, until they saw Marcel and Rebekah to come, Klaus knew they were a pair, but Elijah told him not to cause trouble. And to his surprise Klaus allowed them to be together and sat with Elijah minutes later.
The next day Elijah enters Klaus' room and sees Lana and jokes of him sleeping with an enemy who is now their ally, Klaus tells Elijah they got tickets to The Opera House and asked him to tell Rebekah to bring Marcel with her. Elijah then left them. When Elijah was getting ready for The Opera, his father Mikael visited him and told Elijah he saw the "Le Grand Guignol" piece in Venice. Elijah is shocked seeing his father, Mikael assured him though, he only wished to talk. Elijah told him that he has hunted them for centuries and laid waste to half of Europe and wants to talk? Mikael corrected him that he only hunted Klaus and never his true children, he tells him he's his blood and he's proud to call him a son. Mikael then asks Elijah for his help to kill Klaus. Elijah attacked his father in rage, only to be thrown against the wall. Elijah tells his father that if he thinks he would betray Klaus for his own father, then he's a fool without equal. Mikael tells him that he'll forgive his sentimental affections for his brother, but says that Klaus is an abomination and that they must be erased from existence. Mikael then showed him The White Oak Stake, Elijah tried to stop him but Mikael forced him against the wall and told him, that either he stands with him or falls with Klaus and after Elijah chose Klaus, Mikael staked Elijah with a normal wooden stake.
After Elijah woke up again he rushed to The Opera House and saw Mikael at the stage, as he was feeding from Marcel, Elijah urged his siblings to flee the scene. Mikael then burned down The Opera House and continued to hunt his children. Elijah, Klaus and Rebekah were only a few blocks away. Elijah told Klaus and Rebekah to flee while he delayed his father for a brief time. Klaus and Rebekah then left New Orleans.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries Series
In 500 Years of Solitude, when Katherine is dying in bed, Damon messes with her mind and creates hallucinations of Jenna Sommers, John Gilbert and then makes a hallucination of Elijah. She sees Elijah and thinks it is real, she says his name and he comes to her bed and she is glad to see him. He says "Katerina". She lays her hand on him, and says "You're here". Then she realized it was just Damon playing with her mind and told her no one is coming for her as no one cares. Elijah is in fact still living in New Orleans.
It is possible that Elijah did not know Katherine was dying because Klaus probably didn't tell him as Klaus wanted to return to Mystic Falls to gloat over Katherine's corpse and see Caroline otherwise Elijah would have stopped him.
In The Devil Inside, Elijah's voice was heard when he was introducing Klaus to Katherine in the 15th century, as part of Katherine's memories.
Throughout The Originals Series
- "In the beginning, our family was human, A thousand years ago, now. Although our mother dabbled in the dark arts, we were actually just a family trying to survive in a time when it was quite difficult to do so. And, for better or worse, we were happy."
- —Elijah to Hayley in Always and Forever
Elijah is a very attractive, positive, quirky and upbeat person. He always tries to see the good in people and tries to be a friend to everyone. He lives by a code of honor and morality that has been with him since he was a witch. As he told Elena in All My Children, he valued qualities such as compassion, honor and virtue long before his mother turned him into a vampire. Having learned to take care of his family over the years and being naturally responsible, Elijah had developed into a very free-spirited, mature and independent person. Elijah was close with his half-brother Klaus and his sister Rebekah, he was also a little close with his youngest brother Henrik and he was devastated after he was killed by werewolves.
- "Mother made us vampires. She didn't make us monsters, we did that to ourselves."
- —Elijah to Rebekah in All My Children
He is known for speaking his mind and having a fierce temper, which he possibly inherited from his father, (however this is very unlikely, due to the fact that Mikael could never control his temper). Elijah very rarely has tolerance for those who broke their words to him, shown when he killed Trevor for betraying him and imprisoned Katherine for her own betrayal. He also has no tolerance for those that disrespect him. He has been shown to go to great lengths to make those that disrespect him suffer, such as Damon, Thierry, and Marcel. When Marcel disobeyed and disrespected Elijah, he killed Marcel's best friend Thierry in front of him so Marcel would suffer that loss for eternity instead of killing Marcel.
Elijah is very knowledgeable and deceptive in many ways. This encompasses knowledge of how to fight, wield a sword and defend himself. He exhibits an open-minded and optimistic personality. When he meets Elena, he respects her for her bravery and willingness to put herself in harm's way to protect her loved ones, which is something that Elijah himself has done for his family many times.
Elijah in general is a very emotionally hardened character and has difficulty at times handling and accepting certain emotions. This is evident when after losing his family because of Klaus, he turns his sadness and pain into revenge against his half-brother. Elijah is also seen to be uncomfortable and has difficulty accepting romantic feelings, particularly towards Hayley. However, despite this, Elijah does believe in love but also believes that, at least for him, it is rare. He even mentioned that for the thousand years the he has lived, he has only been in love twice.
He is far more forgiving then Klaus, he has morals, but when ever a member of his family is in danger of being killed, he is forced to commit immoral acts, something he doesn't like to do in the first place, like Klaus, he has a sense of honor.
Unlike Klaus, Elijah is caught off guard more easily, even more so when he attacks his opponent(s) in anger.
Elijah is most characterized by his devotion to his cause of "redeeming" his half-brother; Klaus. As such, he has, with only one known exception, stayed by his half-brother's side, and will constantly search for the good in him, no matter the situation. However, he is not unaware of Klaus' spiteful, violent nature, and is familiar enough with it to predict his younger half-brother's movements. However, with the birth of his niece, his priorities have begun to shift from redeeming him to ensuring her safety.
Elijah purposefully seeks to uphold the image of the being he most aspires to be; a well kept, honourable, moral man who is devoted to his family. However, his vampiric nature, as well as insane devotion to Klaus has caused this being to become little more than a facade for him to hide behind. He is just as vicious, just as conniving, just as treacherous, and just as hypocritical as his siblings. This is most blatantly shown in his claims of familial loyalty, and then standing aside and permitting Klaus to dagger and abuse them, even helping in the instances of daggering Kol.
Elijah is noted for his ability to control his more violent urges, and rarely ever so much allows his face to show its vampiric features. However, after his mother's assault on his mind, revealing the Red Door-a mental barrier of sorts that he hides the fallout, and even memories, of his most vicious deeds behind-he began to lose control and give in to these urges, despite consciously trying to control them.
After the birth of Hope, Elijah's priorities have begun to shift, to the point where, when Klaus began spiralling after the threat of Dahlia made came, Elijah stabbed Klaus with a golden dagger, leaving him daggered in a coffin, all to prevent him from bringing danger to Hope with his violent lashing out.
- Main article: Elijah Mikaelson/Appearance
Elijah is a handsome man who stands about 5'11" in height, and has a thin but muscular body. He has short brown hair which appeared to have darkened slightly in the fourth season, with hazel brown eyes. His facial features are angular - high cheekbones, a strong jawline, and a straight nose. Despite being centuries old, he appears to be in his early to mid twenties, somewhere between 22-25. He is older than his half brother Niklaus, but is younger than his brother Finn and his sister Freya, making him the third oldest sibling of the family. Elijah is similar to his younger brother Kol in facial features, but resembles all of his siblings in a more general way.
Elijah in the present day is consistently well-dressed. His wardrobe typically consists of a dress jacket, dress shoes, dress pants, shirt and sometimes a tie. This continues his trend of dressing well throughout the centuries. As a human, he wore more simplistic clothing, along with the other males in his family. But ever since he and his family journeyed to Europe, it seems he upgraded his attire to clothing indicative of a nobleman. Elijah has also worn different hairstyles in keeping with the times. It was revealed that Esther placed in his mind the idea of remaining clean and forgetting about his victims to save him from the guilt of it.
Powers and Abilities
As the third oldest of his siblings, Elijah is the eldest Original Vampire alive and the oldest immortal being in the world, now that Silas, Amara, Mikael and Finn (in his Original Vampire body, at least) are deceased. As an Original Vampire, Elijah is stronger and faster than any non-original vampire, he is one of the most powerful supernatural beings in the TVD/TO universe, on par with his siblings, with the exception that Klaus is stronger and faster due to his werewolf side.
His supernatural attributes aside, Elijah's greatest asset is his sharp intellect. His penchant for strategies and forming contingencies way ahead of time easily surpasses Klaus', despite this, he has been outsmarted by Klaus on more than one occasion. Often, Elijah is able to discern a great deal of whatever or whoever presented to him after only a few keen observations. He was able to identify Elena masquerading as Katherine when they met at Pennsylvania after seeing her daylight ring and was also the first to discern that his former lover, Celeste, was in fact inhabiting the body of Sabine, and then later formulated a plan with Monique Deveraux to corner her the next time that Celeste jumps into another body.
Because he is much more calm, composed, and strategic in battle than Klaus, Elijah is able to fight Klaus almost evenly shortly after being undaggered by Damon despite losing most of his strength from months without blood. His composure also enabled to him to single-handedly subdue Marcel's army without getting so much as a scratch on him, evidence by the lack of cuts on his clothes, something Klaus is unable to do, due to his lack of composure. Due to his long existence, Elijah has seen countless battles and is very experienced in battle. He is also very adaptable as seen in Diego's attempt to flank him, which apparently failed. It is presumed Diego also tried other tactics which also failed miserably against Elijah.
Despite his prowess against Klaus and Marcel's army, he has been defeated by lesser vampires before, in fact only two, Stefan and Damon, however, they were using hit and run tactics against him, as well using a stake gun and vervain bombs, which ended in Damon outflanking him and staking him to a door. Also at the time, Elijah underestimated them and showed hubris, believing himself unbeatable. Elijah has not made this mistake since.
Although Elijah can fight Klaus on almost even terms, however, this is not enough to defeat him, he can be defeated more easily by Klaus when he attacks the latter in anger. According to Dahlia, Elijah is not as intelligent as Klaus.
Elijah has the typical weaknesses of an Original Vampire. Also, while he is in the process of coping and getting it under control, his mind remains affected by his mother's mental assault.
- "Now we have fought together for centuries and once again to break your enemy you broke, your family."
- —Elijah to Klaus in Ashes to Ashes
- Main article: Elijah and Klaus
Unfortunately, Elijah's relationship with Klaus takes a turn for the worst, though it was not a very healthy one to begin with due to actions made constantly by Klaus, when Elijah chose to believe Tyler's lies over Klaus, that he is (supposedly) aware that his child's blood can make hybrids, and he plans to use his child's blood once she is born to make an army of hybrids, to take over New Orleans. He falsely accused Klaus of only caring about his unborn child, so he can use her to sire more hybrids, unfortunately, he finds out the hard way that he was wrong, and unintentionally damages his relationship with Klaus. Though Elijah was well within reason to believe so. Elijah repairs his relationship with Klaus when he apologizes to him for accusing him of only caring about his unborn child so he can used her to sire more hybrids, despite the fact that their relationship is now repaired, Elijah is barely on speaking terms with Klaus.
Unfortunately, their relationship becomes worse than ever, when Elijah daggered Klaus and allowed Hayley to try and take Hope away from him, in retaliation Klaus kills his half-brother's girlfriend Gia, and daggered Elijah with Papa Tunde's Blade, their relationship becomes estranged/broken after this, as they both want nothing to do with each other any more.
- "I only came to New Orleans to make sure you were safe. You are. I thought that I might be able to convince you to come with me, but here you are, rushing into whatever Klaus and Marcel and the witches have cooked up. And I finally get it. You'll never leave this city. You'll never leave Klaus."
- —Rebekah to Elijah in Fruit of the Poisoned Tree
- Main article: Elijah and Rebekah
Rebekah is Elijah's younger sister. His relationship with her has been very dysfunctional. Elijah is in the habit of being very critical towards Rebekah due to her actions. After she requests him to give her the cure for the vampirism, Elijah agrees, provided that she go a whole day without her vampire abilities. However, they were tricked by Silas with Klaus' help. After finding out that Klaus is going to be a father, Elijah asks her to follow Klaus and him to New Orleans. She refuses to follow Elijah and help him. Elijah is without a doubt the brother Rebekah respects most out of all her brothers. After 3 months of not hearing anything from Elijah she returns to New Orleans to find Elijah and make sure he's alright. Once she finds him, Elijah tells his sister to protect the wolf carrying Klaus' child, and once he gets home to the Mikaelson mansion he gets a warm welcome from Rebekah. But soon after she tells him that she is leaving town and would ask to come with her, she knows that Elijah would never leave town or Klaus. Unlike Rebekah, Elijah believes that his brother can be redeemed. Elijah also is shown to be very protective of Rebekah, not letting anyone physically harm her. When she is about to be stabbed with Papa Tunde's Blade, he stabs Klaus with it to save Rebekah. He also would not allow Klaus to stake her with the White Oak Stake or harm her in any way.
- "I meant what I said about my feelings for you. And I'd like to think that you feel something for me, too. I need you to trust me. I want you to trust me. Just like I'm trusting you. You don't owe me anything. I'm gonna let you decide where we go from here."
- —Katherine to Elijah in American Gothic
- Main article: Elijah and Katherine
In 1492, Elijah met a woman named Katerina Petrova who was the first doppelgänger of Tatia. Elijah and Katerina got to know each other before he introduced her to his younger brother Niklaus. Klaus wanted her to be sacrificed, but Elijah had started to have feelings for her. When Katerina escaped, Elijah felt betrayed by her and started hunting her down, but was mislead the other way thanks to a vampire named Trevor. 500 years later, Elijah finds her stuck inside the vampire tomb and compelled her to stay. Almost a year later, Katerina contacts Elijah and asks him to help her find the cure. During their search for the cure, their friendship grows to be very strong and eventually they fall deeply in love, therefore beginning a sexual relationship. After Elijah discovered that Katerina killed Jeremy Gilbert, he got mad at her lies. Elijah says that he doesn't know who she really is. Katerina then met with him again and handed him the cure, telling him she loves him and she wanted him to trust her, as she is trusting him. During the episode "The Originals", Katherine asks him to be with her, instead of heading to New Orleans for a life with Klaus. He doesn't say anything except goodbye, and leaves, after kissing her on the forehead. It is unclear whether their relationship will have a future. Even though he was a hallucination in 500 Years of Solitude, Katherine was happy to see him and had shown to have missed him. He presumably does not yet know that Katherine's dead.
- "We've all done bad things. It's just, most people die before the list gets embarrassing. But, don't for a second compare yourself to Klaus."
- —Hayley to Elijah in Bloodletting
- Main article: Elijah and Hayley
- "It was more than a fantasy—it was our hope. It was our family's last hope, and now she's gone."
- —Elijah about losing Hope in From a Cradle to a Grave
- Main article: Elijah and Hope
Hope is Elijah's niece, and he loves her very much. Even before Hope was ready to be birthed, he was the first person to accept the baby. In Always and Forever, he is the one that wanted the baby to be alive and tried to convince Klaus to accept the child. He has sworn to protect her and love her. They have a strong relationship and he wants nothing more then to let her be safe. That is why he agreed to send her away to live with Rebekah until New Orleans is safe for her to return.
Attitude Toward HumansElijah respects human life. He is shown to be generally gentle, kind, caring and considerate with humans, the opposite of his half-brother Klaus, who is shown to have little to no regard for human life. He has not been seen compelling a human except Elena as he needed information from her and Carol Lockwood (for a change of suit). As a vampire, he strongly dislikes the idea of feeding on humans and instead feeds from blood bags. Elijah gives Elena an elixir that has a chance to resurrect the person who drinks it. The elixir was meant for Katerina before she escaped, but now he proffered it to Elena, so she could have had a chance to survive after the sacrifice. Esther, Elijah's mother, however, mentions that he is no better than the others, causing him to reflect that he kills, tortures and manipulates others to get what he wants, mainly to protect his family. Esther says this to Elijah and his two brothers Kol and Niklaus, "For a thousand years, I've been forced to watch you. Felt the pain of every victim, suffered while you shed blood. Even you, Elijah, with your claim to nobility, you’re no better. All of you. You’re a curse on this earth. Stretched out over generations." When his brother was entombed, Elijah offered Elena a deal to hand Klaus back to him and, in exchange, no one will harm her. After the loss of his brother (Klaus), Elijah and Rebekah hugged for a few seconds.
Once Elijah comes to New Orleans, he goes to the bar at Rosseau's and talks with the bartender Camille, about his brother and his family history. Four months later, after being revived by Davina, a powerful witch, he confesses to her that he has a terrible hunger inside after being in the coffin for 4 months, but would not feed from a child. The day after he comes home, he is seen reading a book while an innocent girl is bleeding out, a peace offering from Klaus. Elijah mentions that his forgiveness cannot be bought and says not "this" when he mentions the dead girl.
- "Elijah " from the Hebrew אֱלִיָּהוּ (eliyyahu) meaning "YAWEH is my God". It's the name of a Prophet who was carried to the heavens in a chariot of fire. It was a popular name during the middle ages.
- Mikaelson is Scandinavian and means "Son of Mikael".
- Nearly all of his girlfriends were killed or nearly killed by Klaus.
- Elijah is the only member besides Kol of the Mikaelson Family that has pushed Klaus' buttons without fearing the consequences.
- Elijah was the oldest remaining Original since the death of Mikael and the oldest immortal being in the world since the deaths of Silas and Amara. Although his human age is never stated, it appears that he was turned when he was in his mid to late twenties.
- With Freya resurrected , Elijah is now the second oldest being in the world and the oldest immortal.
- Elijah is the first Original to appear in Season 2 of The Vampire Diaries, with Klaus being the second.
- He is the second vampire shown compelling Elena and the first Original vampire to be neutralized by Elena.
- Elijah is the first Original vampire to be seen compelling other vampires (Slater and Katherine).
- Elijah does not appear in the books, but his appearance seems to be modeled after the Klaus of the books.
- Elijah presents himself to everyone under the guise of an historian by the name of Elijah Smith. This mirrors Damon in the novels when he presents himself to Elena's family as Damon Smith.
- Elijah is absent for only three of the fifteen episodes between his first appearance (Rose) and his last appearance (As I Lay Dying) of Season 2.
- Elijah, Rebekah and Klaus are the only characters known to have met Tatia and her two Doppelgängers as humans.
- Elijah is one of only nine recurring characters to appear in more than 10 episodes during their inaugural season. The others being Anna, who appeared in 11 episodes during Season 1, Rebekah who appeared in 17 episodes during Season 3, Atticus Shane who appeared in 11 episodes during Season 4; Nadia Petrova, Wes Maxfield and Enzo who appeared in 12 episodes each in Season 5 and Josette Laughlin and Malachai Parker who appeared in 17 and 16 episodes respectively in Season 6.
- Elijah was the first member of the Original Family to make their first appearance in a present day episode.
- Elijah has been neutralized 3 times in Season 2, once in Season 3, once in a flashback and once in The Originals.
- Elijah and Alaric are the characters who have died most on the show. Elijah has died 6 times on the show and Alaric has died 8 times on the show.
- Both Elijah and Rebekah have been given an episode when they are just neutralized.
- Just like Elijah was neutralized 4 times in Season 2, so was Rebekah in Season 3.
- Elijah was sarcastically called "my favorite Original" by Damon in Bringing Out The Dead.
- Among of all the Originals, Elijah can be considered the most moral and honorable, though his sense of what's right and wrong is slightly twisted, as shown when he compelled Slater to stake himself in 2x10 or killed the hybrid in 3x12. He is later shown to be second to Finn in this regard.
- Elijah and his half-brother Klaus both loved Tatia just like the Salvatore brothers loved her doppelgängers - Katherine Pierce and now Elena Gilbert.
- Elijah is always seen wearing different suits on the show in almost every episode he's in.
- Despite being a recurring character in Season 2 and Season 3, Elijah had more screen time than any regular in the episodes Klaus and All My Children.
- Elijah has met/interacted with every one of the main characters except for Tyler Lockwood, but he did mention him when he thought the hybrid had died in The Departed.
- Despite the fact that most people call Katherine with the Anglo version of her name, Klaus, Elijah, Rose, Trevor and Nadia are the only ones who refer to or call her by her original name Katerina.
- Elijah is the first Original to be invited into the Gilbert House, followed by Kol and Klaus.
- Like Klaus, Elijah didn't want Rebekah to take the cure.
- Elijah believes Klaus and Hayley's child is the key to reuniting his family.
- It appears, as seen in Tangled Up In Blue, that Elijah has been keeping journals over the centuries.
- It also appears, as seen in Tangled Up In Blue, that Elijah is musical, as there is a violin and a piano in his house.
- In Sinners and Saints, after he has fully awakened, Elijah repairs Tim's violin.
- It is Elijah who returns Jane-Anne Deveraux's body to the witches.
- Elijah, like his younger brother Kol, is believed to be famous amongst the witches around the world.
- Though Klaus admitted he would never bite Rebekah-as he preferred using the dagger on her-, he seemed to have no problem biting Elijah.
- Elijah is the first Original to be bitten by a hybrid and the second to be affected by the venom of a werewolf/hybrid.
- In The River in Reverse, Elijah finally showed his vampire eyes, although briefly.
- All the women who Elijah loved, were supernaturals (Tatia - doppelgänger, Katerina Petrova - doppelgänger/vampire/ Traveler witch, Céleste Dubois - witch and Hayley Marshall - werewolf/hybrid)
- In Long Way Back From Hell, Elijah stabs Klaus to save Rebekah from Klaus' wrath.
- In Le Grand Guignol, he shows his distaste for his father Mikael, to his face.
- In Le Grand Guignol, he steals Celeste from the werewolf interrogation along with the "potion" needed to end the curse.
- In Le Grand Guignol, Elijah chooses to give Hayley the "cure" when faced with Celeste's ultimatum.
- In Le Grand Guignol, Elijah shows his full vampire face.
- In Moon Over Bourbon Street, Elijah brings all the factions together and they sign a peace treaty, however the treaty was only a ruse, as the human representative was not truly human, and the witch representative was given a mission by her superiors to kill Hope Mikaelson
- In The Battle of New Orleans, Elijah single handedly killed half of Marcel's army with no effort before a sneak attack from two werewolf bites knocked him unconscious.
- It was originally believed that Elijah was the eldest of the Original Vampire siblings, however, it is now known to be Finn, making Elijah the second oldest sibling, and the third oldest Original Vampire.
- Elijah's status as co-king of the New Orleans vampires, and leader of the faction are now defunct, due to the werewolves' massacre, and the other factions turning on the vampires.
- Elijah has taken up a position as a mentor for Marcel's new army.
- Elijah claims to be a devoted feminist.
- Elijah is the only person to have kissed all 3 Petrova Doppelgängers (Tatia, Katherine and Elena).
- In Fruit of the Poisoned Tree, Elijah tells Agnes that no one harmed his family and lived. Yet, despite saying that, Elijah did nothing to avenge the deaths of his brothers Finn and Kol at the hands of Matt Donovan, Jeremy Gilbert, and Elena Gilbert, respectively.
- While in TVD he hated Klaus for "killing" his siblings, in TO, it is shown that not only did he help Klaus do it but was content to leave Kol and Finn daggered, and also despite his claims of family bonds, he clearly favors Klaus and Rebekah above the others.
- It is possible that Elijah was a witch before becoming an Original and just never tapped into his power, as Esther was a witch, however, as the producer's have confirmed that Henrik was human, having a witch parent does not guarantee that Elijah was a witch. Furthermore, he identified as human.
|The Vampire Diaries|