|Elena and Stefan|
Dated, Made love, Protective of one another. He is in love with her.
September 7, 2009 (before Pilot)
September 9, 2009 (The Night of the Comet)
Close Friends, Exes, Elena is the love of Stefan's life.
|“||The life that we had, I mean that was amazing too. It wasn't a spell or prophecy, it was real. We fell in love on our own.||”|
Stefan originally returned to town to get to know Elena after saving her from a car accident. They instantly fell in love and began a romantic relationship in season 1, which became strained when Damon fell in love with Elena and Katherine returned to win Stefan back. Though they continuously reassured each other and remained loyal throughout seasons 1 and 2. They fell out of contact at the end of season 2, when Stefan left to save his brothers life. Though they stayed faithful to each other, whilst Elena searched for him, until Damon kissed Elena. She admitted this to Stefan and at the end of season 3 rejected Damon, choosing to be with Stefan. Their relationship was rekindled and lasted into the beginning of season 4. Though they eventually broke up when Elena began to reciprocate Damon's love, and chose to be honest with Stefan about her feelings and intentions. He was determined to move on, before he came upon the discovery that Elena was sired to Damon. He stayed to help Elena in their search to cure her vampirism, throughout the sire bond. He admitted to still being in love with her, and even attempted to seduce her into finding her humanity again. But when the sire bond was broken and Elena chose Damon all the same, it became apparent that her affections for him were real, and Stefan was finally convinced to leave town.
Stefan and Elena may be a part of The Doppelganger Prophecy. They are known as "Stelena" by fans.
While visiting his uncle Zach Salvatore, Stefan hears a car crash near Wickery Bridge and sees a car submerged in the water. He dives in the water and goes after it and is able to get to the car. A man is still conscious and tells him to help his daughter, who is unconscious. Stefan does as he is asked, and saves Elena from drowning. When he sees her face, he is shocked to see she resembles an old flame of his, Katherine Pierce. He goes back to the car, but is too late to save her parents. Due to his curiosity about Elena, Stefan remains in Mystic Falls and keeps an eye on her from a distance. When school starts, he decides to become a student so that he can meet her and get to know her better.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries Series
- Stefan: What would you write?
- Elena: I would write: "Dear Diary, today I convinced myself it was okay to give up. Don't take risks. Stick with the status quo. No drama, now is just not the time." But my reasons aren't reasons, they're excuses. All I'm doing is hiding from the truth and the truth is that... I'm scared, Stefan. I'm scared that if I let myself be happy for even one moment that... the world's just gonna come crashing down... and I don't know if I can survive that.
- Stefan: Do you wanna know what I would write? "I met a girl. We talked. It was epic. Then the sun came up and reality set in." Well this is reality... right here.
- -- The Night of the Comet
- Stefan: Elena is... Elena's warm. And she's... she's kind and she's caring and she's selfless... and it's real. And... honestly, when I'm around her... I completely forget what I am.
- Lexi: Oh my God! You're in love with her.
- Stefan: Yeah, I am.
- -- 162 Candles
- Stefan: You're staring.
- Elena: I'm gazing.
- Stefan: It's creepy.
- Elena: It's romantic. [They kiss]
- Elena: This is bad of us.
- Stefan: Yes, it is.
- Elena: If Katherine finds out..
- Stefan: Katherine who? [They kiss]
- Elena: Wait uh, okay I have to be in the shower.
- Stefan: Love it, let's go.
- Elena: [laughs] No just me...I'm late, I'm decorating at the Lockwood Charity Fair.
- Stefan: Well what do you know, so am I.
- Elena: Is it a good idea to be at their house today? Mason Lockwood tried to kill you.
- -- Plan B
- Stefan: I'm so, so sorry.
- Elena: We were stupid, sneaking around, thinking we weren't gonna get caught.
- Stefan: I know.
- Elena: We did this, Stefan. Jenna's in the hospital and Jeremy could be next. All because we didn't...we didn't listen to her, because... because we're together. Stefan...
- Stefan: I know what you're gonna say.
- Elena: Then let me say it. I've been so selfish because I love you so much and you know how much you love me...but it's over. Stefan it has to be.
- Stefan: Elena, I don't...
- Elena: No Stefan...it has to be. [She kisses him]
- -- Plan B
- Stefan: Okay how about this. Today when we're fighting, if I say “I can`t do this anymore Elena,” what I really mean is that I love you.
- Elena: And when I say “Fine, Stefan, whatever," that'll mean I love you too.
- -- Kill or Be Killed
- Stefan: [To Elijah] I'm sorry for the part that I played in your death. I was protecting Elena. I will always protect Elena.
- -- Klaus
- Elena: [On the phone] Stefan, if this is you, you'll be okay. I love you, Stefan. Hold on to that. Never let that go.
- -- The Birthday
- Stefan: Why, because I love you?
- Elena: Yeah. That's right, Stefan. Because you love me. You'll fight, because after everything we've been through, you owe me that.
- Stefan: You know what? You're right. You're right. I owe you everything, because through all of this, you were the only thing that has kept me from giving up. To turning it all off. But I can't help what I am, Elena.
- -- The Reckoning
- Klaus: Fascinating, I've never seen this before. The only thing stronger than your craving for blood, is your love for this one girl.
- -- The Reckoning
- Elena: I used to know every constellation. How did I forget them all?
- Stefan: You're drunk. You need to go home.
- Elena: Fine. Let me find my car.
- Stefan: You're joking, right?
- Elena: Uh-oh. It's the fun police. I thought that Ripper Stefan was supposed to be the life of the party.
- Stefan: Well, all right, I'm driving you home. Come on. [She spans the ramp] What are you, five? Get down.
- Elena: Why? Are you afraid that I'm going to... [she almost falls] Oh. Ha. That was close. Klaus would not be happy with you.
- Stefan: You're hilarious.
- Elena: Look, Stefan, no hands. [She removes her hands but almost falls. She laughs but finally falls. Stefan catches her]. I knew you'd catch me.
- -- Smells Like Teen Spirit
- Stefan: [To Alaric] Yeah. You know, you can hate it all you want, but Elena needs me. I'll always protect her. I think you're both better off having me around.
- -- Smells Like Teen Spirit
- Stefan: Why didn't you let me die?
- Elena: Because I still have hope, I know who you really are. Better than anyone, Stefan. I’m not giving up.
- Stefan: Elena. Do you have any idea how pathetic that makes you?
- Elena: No Stefan, it makes me strong.
- -- Smells Like Teen Spirit
- Stefan: He did, Elena! He backed down! He has a weakness. If I know his weakness, I can destroy him.
- Elena: And after everything, that’s what matters? Destroying Klaus?
- Stefan: Destroying Klaus is all I have left.
- Elena: You had me!
- Stefan: I lost you the minute I left town with him. You just haven’t let yourself admit that yet.
- Elena: Is that what you’re doing? Trying to make me hate you?
- Stefan: I don’t really care what you think about me anymore, Elena.
- -- Our Town
- Stefan: We were in this gym the night Klaus compelled me to turn my feelings off. I thought I hit rock bottom in the 20s, but after I bit you, I never wanted to feel anything again. But someone, kept telling me it was okay to feel, no matter how much it hurt, that our emotions are what make us human, good or bad. And to never lose hope.
- -- Do Not Go Gentle
- Stefan: I love you so much.
- Elena: Do you wanna know why I was even on that bridge? I was coming back for you Stefan. I had to choose... I picked you. Because I love you. No matter what happens, it's the best choice I ever made. God, sucks that I can't see you right now.
- Stefan: I'm smiling.
- Elena: Me too.
- -- Growing Pains
- [Stefan is standing behind Elena. He is trying to teach her how to use her super speed.]
- Elena: [Giggles] I can’t do it.
- Stefan: Alright, it’s like the starting line of a race, right? So you just push off with every ounce of strength that you have.
- Elena: Yeah, but I was a cheerleader. I sucked at track.
- Stefan: Just concentrate, okay? You can do it.
- Elena: [Crouches into a running position and breathes out. Stefan places his hands around her waist.]
- Elena: I can’t. All I can think about is your hands on my body.
- Stefan: Oh, okay. [Stefan takes his hands off from around her waist. She grabs his hands and puts them back around her.]
- Elena: No, no, no. I - I didn't say to take them off. It feels good.
- Stefan: Yeah? What does it feel like?
- Elena: It feels like you’re touching every nerve on my body.
- Stefan: [Runs his hand up and down Elena’s arm and waist.]
- Stefan: Everything is heightened. Taste, smell, sight, touch.
- -- Memorial
- Stefan: I never did answer your question. If it meant that I got to be with her, have children, grow old with her... If it meant that we’d die together, be buried together...then yes, I’d take the cure.
- -- The Five
- Note: Look back at Killed Or Be Killed for reference.
- Caroline: Because Stefan is your soul mate.
- -- My Brother's Keeper
- Klaus(to Damon): I remember when I compelled (Stefan) to feed on Elena. He fought so hard he actually managed to resist. Now, that's love.
- -- Catch Me If You Can
- Stefan: You don't know what it's like being in love with you. You know, when you and I were together, every single atom in my body told me that it was the right thing, that we were a perfect fit. And that kind of love, it can change your whole life. And then when somebody who made you feel that way suddenly stops, the vacuum is just...
- -- No Exit
- Start Up: The Night of the Comet (1x02)
- Break Up: Lost Girls (1x06)
- Reason: Elena finds out that Stefan is a vampire.
- Start Up: The Turning Point (1x10)
- Break Up: Plan B (2x06)
- Reason: Katherine wanted Elena and Stefan to break up and to prove it she attacks Jenna. So for the sake of anyone she loves getting be killed, Elena does what Katherine wants, and tearfully breaks up with Stefan, despite how much she doesn't want to.
- Start Up: Rose (2x08)
- Break Up: The End of the Affair (3x03)
- Reason: Elena and Damon go in Chicago to save Stefan. But by the time she was there to save Stefan, Stefan rejects Elena and said that he doesn't want be saved; he lies and says he doesn't want her anymore.
- Start Up: Growing Pains (4x01)
- Break Up: We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes (4x06)
- Reason: Elena admitted to Stefan that since she became a vampire, her feelings for Damon intensified . Her desires became darker and she wasn't the same girl that chose him on the Wickery Bridge. Stefan couldn't deal with it anymore and consequently broke up with Elena.
- In the novels, Elena and Stefan are soulmates.
- In the novels, when Stefan realizes how Elena looks exactly like Katherine, he tries to avoid her and she is determined to have him. In the series, Stefan wants to know Elena and be with her, unlike his book counterpart who wants to stay away due the temptation of hurting Elena, or worse, killing her.
- Both the novel version and the television series version of Stefan wants to protect Elena from the charming Damon Salvatore.
- Lexi support them.
- Both their Birthday have been Celebrated.
- Bob Levi was shocked by how much chemistry Paul Wesley and Nina Dobrev have.
- Kevin Williamson said Stefan and Elena are "soulmates".
- Nina Dobrev and Paul Wesley are very close friends in real life.
- They are both doppelgängers from different bloodlines.
- Qetsiyah said they are destined to be together according to the Doppelganger Prophecy.
- However this was later revealed to be a spell created by Markos in order to have doppelganger blood.
- Charles Michael Davis and Arielle Kebbel openly admit that they're Team Stelena.
- A lot of celebrities have showed their support for Team Stelena.
- Kylie Jenner ships Stefan and Elena.
- Dinah Jane and Lauren Jauregui (from Fifth Harmony) are both Team Stelena.
- Stella Hudgens, the younger sister of actress, Vanessa Hudgens, ships Stefan and Elena.
- Torrance Coombs says he's a Stelena fan.
- Elena and Stefan are both the last living members of the families they belong to, the Petrova and the Salvatore family lines as Katherine and Nadia, the remaining Petrova family members, as well as Damon, the remaining Salvatore family member were all killed off.
- They have moved on from each but still remain best friends.
Elena Gilbert is a popular teenager in her senior year, mostly referred to as the Queen of the school, but somehow felt lost in her world, wanting to fit in somewhere else. She is confident and bold and always got what she wanted, until a new student came to school, a gorgeous Italian named Stefan Salvatore. Stefan was a centuries old vampire, who still felt guilt over the lost of Katherine von Shwartzchild, a young lady he had loved very much. At first, he felt Elena's powerful personality, but had no clue who she was, and Elena was shocked that he never even noticed her, as did the other guys. During European History Class, Stefan was shocked when he saw Elena and how her appearance was exactly like Katherine's. He then purposely tried to keep away from her, and left immediately when the class was over. Elena, hurt by his behavior towards her, vowed that she'd have him.
She broke up her current boyfriend Matt Honeycutt, as she felt that their relationship wasn't what she wanted. Matt was hurt, but remained her friend. After another attempt to talk to Stefan failed, she created a rumor to make it seem that she wasn't upset. She explained the matter to Matt and got him to get Stefan to the Homecoming Dance, but was shocked that Stefan had come with her ex-friend, Caroline Forbes. Truly upset, she left the dance with Tyler Smallwood, his friend Dick, and Dick's girlfriend, Vickie Bennett. Her friends Meredith, Bonnie, and Matt went to look for her. Stefan left as well. He went to the cemetery and saved Elena from being assaulted by Tyler. He took Elena back to the boarding house and took to her room to get her a cloak to wear over her torn clothes. Finally, Elena angrily spilled out how she felt about him and asked him why he hated her, but was surprised when he said she reminded her of a friend he lost years ago. Stefan succumbed to his feelings and kissed Elena passionately and she realized that he didn't hate at all. She felt safe with Stefan, and knew where she belonged now.
Stefan took her home afterwards, where Matt, Bonnie, Meredith, Aunt Judith, Uncle Robert, and several policemen told her Vickie had been attacked. Stefan left not long afterwards, suspecting the attack was caused by a vampire, and even suspected himself, though he couldn't remember it.
Elena and Stefan are improving in their relationship, until Damon appear in the village and started havoc on Stefan's image in society. Caroline and Tyler begin to cause rumors among students, these rumors were saying that since the arrival of Stefan to the town, the attacks have occurred. During the celebration of Halloween, Damon kills Tanner, but it is believed that Stefan was the cause. Elena, along with Meredith, Bonnie and Matt manage to find Stefan in a water well, after the incident Tanner. Everyone thinks it was Damon, but Stefan says I can not have been because it's not his style. During the coronation celebration, Caroline and Tyler try to reveal the nature of Stefan but Damon involved avoiding the disclosure of the truth. Shortly after that, Elena and her family have strong discussion caused by Damon. Elena out of school but during her journey, she is attacked by a great power causing her death.
Elena becomes a vampire while Stefan and Damon try to help. Elena begins to feel something for Damon and Stefan says he just wants to be happy. A large number of incidents start happening in town. Elena, Stefan, Damon, Bonnie, Meredith, Matt and Alaric investigate who is causing all this. Eventually, Elena, Stefan and Damon discover that Katherine is the cause and she just wanted to Stefan and Damon were happy. Elena manages to defeat Katherine, but she dies. Before her death, Elena asks Stefan and Damon to take care each other.
Elena comes back from the dead and starts acting in a strange way with Stefan and all his friends.