|Stefan and Elena|
Dated, Made love, Protective of one another, Care deeply about one another.
September 7, 2009 (before Pilot)
September 9, 2009 (The Night of the Comet)
Close Friends, Exes, Elena is the love of Stefan's life.
|“||You had a choice. You chose Stefan. Human you was on your way back to him.||”|
Stefan originally returned to town to get to know Elena after saving her from a car accident. They instantly fell in love and began a romantic relationship in season 1, which became strained when Damon fell in love with Elena and Katherine returned to win Stefan back. Though they continuously reassured each other and remained loyal throughout seasons 1 and 2. They fell out of contact at the end of season 2, when Stefan left to save his brothers life. Though they stayed faithful to each other, whilst Elena searched for him, until Damon kissed Elena. She admitted this to Stefan and at the end of season 3 rejected Damon, choosing to be with Stefan. Their relationship was rekindled and lasted into the beginning of season 4. Though they eventually broke up when Elena began to reciprocate Damon's love, and chose to be honest with Stefan about her feelings and intentions. He was determined to move on, before he came upon the discovery that Elena was sired to Damon. He stayed to help Elena in their search to cure her vampirism, throughout the sire bond. He admitted to still being in love with her, and even attempted to seduce her into finding her humanity again. But when the sire bond was broken and Elena chose Damon all the same, it became apparent that her affections for him were real, and Stefan was finally convinced to leave town. When Stefan goes to dispose Silas's body, Silas suddenly appears as Stefan's doppelgänger and locks Stefan in a safe and throws him in the water. Stefan is trapped in the safe the whole summer, and thinks about Elena whenever he gets the urge to turn his humanity off. Throughout the summer, Elena feels that something is wrong with him and when it is finally discovered that Stefan is missing, Damon and Elena are able to find him with the help of Elena's dream. Elena and Stefan later learn that they are part of the Doppelgänger prophecy and are destined to be together. However, they learn that this prophecy is fake. Throughout Season Five, they both are able to form a close friendship post break up and move on from each other. In Season Six, Elena and Stefan continue to be close friends and are protective of one another.
They are known as "Stelena" by fans.
While visiting his uncle Zach Salvatore, Stefan hears a car crash near Wickery Bridge and sees a car submerged in the water. He dives in the water and goes after it and is able to get to the car. A man is still conscious and tells him to help his daughter, who is unconscious. Stefan does as he is asked, and saves Elena from drowning. When he sees her face, he is shocked to see she resembles an old flame of his, Katherine Pierce. He goes back to the car, but is too late to save her parents. Due to his curiosity about Elena, Stefan remains in Mystic Falls and keeps an eye on her from a distance. When school starts, he decides to become a student so that he can meet her and get to know her better.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries Series
At the party, Stefan hears Bonnie and Elena talking about him from a distance and tries to make his way over, but is stopped by Caroline. By the time he gets to Elena, Bonnie has left. Elena is happy that he is there. As they talk, Stefan notes that she is sad. Elena admits that her parents died the previous spring, and only she survived. Stefan tells her that she won't be sad forever. Elena explains that she used to date Matt, but they broke up after her parents died. Elena then notices there is something wrong with Stefan's eyes and he hurries away to get himself and Elena a drink.
When Stefan comes back, Caroline tries again to get his full attention, but he kindly rejects her and goes to Elena, who sees her brother high again and has to go after him, leaving Stefan alone. She and Jeremy come back with Vicki Donovan, who has been attacked by an animal. Elena notices Stefan has mysteriously disappeared again. He comes by her house later that night to see whether she is alright. She tells him that that is all people wonder about her, but he should ask her the next day. She invites him in — and he accepts.
The next morning, both Elena and Stefan feel better than they had before, knowing that they will see other again. While talking to Caroline and Bonnie, Elena decides to go to the Salvatore Boarding House to see Stefan, but runs into his older brother, Damon Salvatore. Damon "unintentionally" mentions Stefan's past love Katherine Pierce, driving Elena to believe Stefan is on the rebound. Stefan finds the two and Elena talking, and Elena leaves, seeing that Stefan doesn't seem very happy. Elena is disheartened after hearing about Katherine.They later meet at the Night of the Comet Festival, where Stefan apologizes for his attitude when she visited his house. Elena tells him about what Damon said to her about Katherine, and she tells him that when you lose someone, it stays with you and always reminds you how easy it is to get hurt. Stefan replies by telling her that it was a long time ago, meaning that he's over it. Before she leaves, Elena says that it isn't going to work, because it is too complicated.
After Elena and Jenna had a talk, Elena realizes that she is a little scared of starting a new relationship. She visits Stefan at his house, and says that she was going to do what she always does, and write in her diary, but she should be saying it to him. Stefan tells her what he would write, saying exactly what Elena had said earlier at the comet festival, and they share their first kiss.Wanting Bonnie to like Stefan, Elena arranges a dinner for the three of them, and as she hoped, Bonnie warms up to him. Stefan, who is against letting Damon inside the house when he arrives with Caroline, loses the argument. Elena has no problem with it. Wanting to protect Elena from Damon, Stefan gives her a necklace containing vervain so she won't fall victim to compulsion. Elena asks Stefan to be her escort to the Founder's Party to which he accepts, though reluctantly. While she and Bonnie are getting ready, Bonnie tells Elena what Caroline told her: Stefan tried to take Katherine from Damon.
At the party, Elena asks Stefan to be open with her, but he keeps dodging her questions, leading her to believe what Bonnie had told her is true. But when she discovers Damon has been hurting Caroline, she begins to see that Stefan has been truthful on the subject all along.
Stefan goes about his daily life after he imprisons Damon. While leaving the Mystic Grill, Stefan runs into an old man who is shocked to see that Stefan hadn't aged a day. Stefan denies knowing him, but it makes Elena curious, for this isn't the only strange thing that has happened since they began dating. Stefan and Elena go to the Sexy Suds Car Wash together. Elena sees and speaks to Tiki's Grandfather, who tells her he had seen Stefan in June 1953. With the help of Logan Fell, Elena investigates this, and sees Stefan's face for herself on an old film at the local television station. Still disbelieving, she goes to the Salvatore Boarding House and demands to know what Stefan is. She is shocked when he tells her he was a vampire. She runs to her car and goes home, but he gets to her room and tries to explain that Damon is behind the attacks in Mystic Falls. Elena, still frightened, asks him to leave. Stefan does as she asks, and leaves. The next day, Elena arranges a meeting between them, so Stefan can explain everything to her.Elena admits she researched vampires on the Internet, but only got fiction. Stefan explains that holy water, garlic, and crucifixes are harmless to vampires, and that his ring protects him from the sunlight. He takes her to the ruins that were once his home, revealing he has 17 years old since 1864. It all goes back to Katherine, who is a vampire. She toyed with Stefan and Damon's hearts, and both brothers fell in love with her. He tells her the necklace he gave her has vervain, so she would be protected from vampires' compulsion. They then go home to find Jeremy and Matt with Vicki, who Stefan realizes was transitioning into a vampire. When she escapes, Stefan goes after her to help her, but fails in stopping her from drinking Logan Fell's blood. Elena understands what Stefan is, and promises to keep his secret, but she explains to him that she can't be with him in the process and broke up with him.
Stefan and Damon keep Vicki in their house, but she escapes when Damon starts to teach her how to use her vampire powers. Stefan alerts Elena on the matter, and they find Vicki with Jeremy, whom Vicki was about to attack. Elena tries to stop her, but Vicki bites her and throws her aside. Seeing no other choice, Stefan takes a broken piece of wood and plunges it in Vicki's chest, killing her. This devastates Jeremy and Elena. Elena tells Stefan that she would give anything to forget what she knew about vampires, but she would never forgive Stefan if he took the memories away. For Jeremy's sake however, she asks him to erase the memories of Vicki. Stefan, however, can't do it properly because of how he feeds, so Damon volunteers to do it instead.
Sheriff Forbes questions Matt, Jeremy, Elena and Stefan on Vicki's disappearance and all have no clue what happened to her or where she went, although Stefan and Elena are forced to lie. Stefan wants Elena to talk to him about her concerns about Matt and Jeremy, but she tells him he has to stay away from her.
Later, deciding to talk to Stefan, Elena goes to his house. The door is answered by Lexi, who has just gotten out of the shower. When Elena asks where Stefan was, Lexi tells her that he is in the shower. Misunderstanding, Elena leaves.
Stefan comes to Elena's house that evening and realizes that Elena thought Lexi is his "rebound girl". Stefan explains that Lexi is a 350 year old vampire and Stefan's best friend, who came to Mystic Falls to celebrate Stefan's 162nd birthday. He asks Elena why she came by, but she tells him it was a mistake. Again, Stefan asks her to talk to him, and she says she can't because she needs to talk, but could only be with him and that was too hard. Before he leaves, Stefan asks Elena if she needs a ride to Caroline's party. Elena says she is not going, and tells Stefan having a great time with Lexi.After Stefan leaves, Elena changes her mind and goes to Caroline's party at the Grill. After small talk with Damon, Elena decides to leave. However, Lexi invites her to talk, unaware that Stefan is eavesdropping. Lexi gives Elena advice about Stefan before leaving, drinking Elena and Stefan's tequila before joining Stefan at the pool table.
After another attack, Sheriff Forbes injects Lexi with vervain because the witness was compelled by Damon to think Lexi was the attacker, and takes her away. Stefan sees what happened, and tries to leave, but the deputies refuse to let him go. He and Elena manage to get out of the Grill, and see Lexi fight off the deputies. She is then shot by wooden bullets by Forbes, and was staked by Damon, much to Stefan's horror. Stefan is grief-stricken by the death of his friend, and Elena tries to comfort him, but is too angered by what Damon has done, and says that he has to kill him. Elena tries to stop him from destroying his life, but Stefan says she is right to stay away, and leaves.
Damon soon reveals why he had returned to Mystic Falls: to get Katherine, who is trapped in a tomb under the ruins of Fell's Church. Emily Bennett, Katherine's handmaiden, was a witch who cast a spell over the vampires to protect them from being destroyed. however, she couldn't let Damon have what he wanted and possessed Bonnie, her descendant, to destroy the crystal that would help open the tomb. Enraged by Emily's actions, Damon attacked Bonnie. Elena was horrified by this but Stefan went over to Bonnie and fed her some of his blood which healed her wound. Elena took Bonnie home, but before leaving, she saw that being with Stefan was something she could handle after all and was willing to continue there relationship, but Stefan, seeing that he could put her in danger, refused, believing it best if he left Mystic Falls, breaking Elena's heart.
Elena and Jenna spoke over the events of their ex-boyfriends, with Logan reappearing and Stefan leaving. however when another vampire started attacking in town, Stefan decided to stay a little longer and warned Elena about it. On Career Night, Stefan and Elena discussed Stefan never sticking to anything because he always had to leaving due to his immortal age. Elena didn't want to discuss her future because he wouldn't be in it. After finding out Logan Fell was the vampire, Stefan and Damon went after him. They rescued Caroline from him and Stefan took her home, leaving Damon to deal with Logan. At the Salvatore Boarding House, Elena told Stefan that she wanted him to stay, but he couldn't. Elena declared her love for him and they made love for the first time. Later, Stefan went for a drink of water and left Elena alone in his room. Their relationship hit a rocky patch when Elena came across his photo of Katherine and was shocked at how much she looked like her. Heartbroken and confused, Elena took off her necklace and left. Stefan came back and found Elena's necklace on Katherine's photo and realized what happened.
Stefan tried to contact Elena but didn't expect Damon to answer her phone. Damon brought Elena back to Mystic Falls and Stefan told Elena about how they had first met, how he had save her from the car with her parents. Elena wanted to know why she looked like Katherine, and Stefan said it was a possibility that she was adopted since Katherine was a "Pierce" and Elena was a "Gilbert", going over all the research he had done after seeing her for the first time. Elena was still shocked, but Stefan said it didn't matter to him, he loved her. They shared a kiss initiated by Elena and made up.
Stefan questioned Elena about the mysterious guy but all she could remember was that he was hooded. Stefan gave her the compass so she would know when a vampire was around and a box with jewelry with vervain for her friends, Jenna and Jeremy. While getting ready for the 50's dance, Elena found the compass spinning in all directions and called Stefan out of panic but Damon answer, telling Elena that Stefan was coming over. Elena was relieved as she believed Stefan was one the one the compass was pointing to until she was attacked by Noah, who had posed as a pizza-delivery guy to get in the house. Damon suggested Elena become the bait for Noah, something Stefan was against, but Elena agreed to it.
She and Stefan danced at the party until she saw a hooded man in the crowd. Stefan went after him, but he wasn't Noah. Noah threatened Elena with Jeremy's life and she left the dance and fled into the cafeteria. She managed to subdue Noah with pencils and broke a mop to stake him but Noah caught it before she could kill him. Stefan was able to save her in time, stabbing Noah with the broken handle of the mop. Stefan and Damon questioned Noah who told them about Emily's spell book but refused to spill anything else, so Stefan killed him. After taking Elena home, Stefan told her he promised to help Damon get Katherine back, but it was a lie. Elena promised to help him.
Damon was unaware of what the two had planned, but he suspected something was up. Because he couldn't believe what Stefan told him, he asked Elena whether Stefan was lying. She lied to him and Damon believed her. Elena and Stefan continued to try to find the grimoire themselves. They learned from Johnathan Gilbert's journals that he had given the book to Giuseppe Salvatore, Stefan and Damon's father. Stefan always heard his father say he would take secrets to the grave and realized where the grimoire was: buried with his father. He and Elena found Giuseppe's grave. They unearthed it and Stefan took the book away from his father's corpse. But then Damon arrived, knowing the Stefan would plan something like his. However, he admitted that Elena had him fooled, but he wanted the book. When Stefan denied handing it over, Damon did the one thing to make sure Stefan gave him the grimoire.
Damon grabbed Elena and forced blood into her mouth, threatening to turn her into a vampire if he didn't give him the book, and Stefan gave it up for Elena's safety. Stefan took her home and explained why Damon no longer trusted him: because he had broken the promise not to reveal what Katherine was to their father Giuseppe. Stefan went to get Elena medicine for her headache and heard from Jenna that Jeremy had brought a friend of his home: Anna. Stefan immediately knew that Elena was in danger and hurried to her room find her missing.
He went back home but Damon was unhelpful, saying sincerely that he hoped Elena died. Stefan went to Bonnie's grandmother Sheila Bennett who helped him find Elena and Bonnie held captive by Ben McKittrick who had been turned by Anna. For the sake of getting Damon out of town, the Bennetts agreed to open the tomb. Damon took Elena in with him so they wouldn't close the tomb with him inside. However, the witches hadn't broken Emily's spell and when Stefan went in to save Elena, he couldn't get out of the tomb. The Bennetts broke the spell to let him out. To Damon's disbelief, Katherine wasn't in the tomb at all and later learned from Anna's mother Pearl that Katherine had never been in the tomb and didn't care about Damon.
Stefan and Elena were both worried about Damon's behavior after finding out the Katherine never gave a damn. While researching her mother Isobel, it was revealed that she had been Alaric Saltzman's wife and that Damon had killed her. Elena was angry and confronted him. She and Stefan left the Mystic Grill to find a stranger who warned them to stop searching for Isobel, meaning she was alive—or at least, undead. He committed suicide after delivering the message.
Wanting her life to be normal without any vampires except Stefan and wanting to just have fun, she and Stefan accepted Caroline's invitation of a double date with herself and. At the Mystic Grill, Elena and Matt reminisced about their childhood memories, much to Stefan's amusement and Caroline's disappointment. While walking back from the bathroom, a man called her "Katherine" but said he mistook her for someone else when he heard Caroline call her "Elena". Elena told Stefan, but the man had already left. They all had fun until arriving at the Salvatore Boarding House to find Damon making out with Matt's mom Kelly Donovan. Elena left with Caroline and spoke to Stefan on the phone when she got home. He decided not to tell her he and Damon were attacked by two vampires after she left, one of them being the guy who called her Katherine.
Elena remained hostile towards Damon. While Stefan went out to feed on animals, he was attacked by the tomb vampires. Damon got worried and informed Elena who had no clue where he was. Damon went to Miss Gibbons House and saw that the vampires were torturing Stefan in revenge for killing Bethanne, Frederick's girlfriend. Samantha Gibbons was compelled never to let Damon in and he had to watch helplessly as they took Stefan away. He went back to his car and told Elena had Stefan was their prisoner. Elena decided she was going in to get Stefan, but Damon believed it would be too risky. They went to Alaric who agreed to help because Damon had lied to him. Elena didn't want to remain in the car so she took a vervain dart and went to the house. She came across an angry Damon along the way and they found a tortured Stefan, who convinced Damon not to kill Harper, another vampire who had tried to stop the others from hurting him.
Elena took Stefan away from the house and to the car, but they were attacked by Fredrick who stuck a branch in Stefan, badly wounding him. Elena shot him with a vervain dart and removed the branch. Seeing that Stefan was severely weak, she forced him to drink her blood to get stronger. Stefan refused, but eventually gave in and ferociously killed Frederick. His behavior had frightened Elena, as she had never seen him like that before. He thanked her afterwards for saving him and said he never wanted her to see that side of him. Elena believed had gone back to normal but the memory was still unsettling. Unknown to her however, Stefan had grown a craving for human blood and Damon found him drinking out the blood he had taken from the blood bank.
Stefan kept his new secret away from Elena, but she noticed he started to act livelier than he had before. At the Founder's Day Kick-Off Party, Stefan persuaded the DJ to play better music than what was assigned and danced with Matt's mother, Kelly, and Elena. They accidentally bumped into Duke, who rudely spoke to Elena for what had happened. This angered Stefan and he compelled Duke to apologize twice since the first time was unsatisfactory. This started to worry Elena.
Stefan was Elena's escort to the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant but his craving for blood led him to steal from the blood bank. This news was reported to Damon by Sheriff Forbes and he alerted Elena to the new situation. Stefan walked in on the conversation but his attempt to assure Elena that he would be fine failed. Frustrated, he broke the mirror in the bathroom and was interrupted by Amber Bradley, another contestant. Stefan compelled her to not be afraid and took her away from the event, leaving Damon to take his place as Elena's escort. Stefan remained confused and angry and eventually compelled Amber to be frightened and run, but caught up and fed on her. Elena and Damon arrived to see what Stefan had done and with Bonnie's help, Stefan fled the scene without Amber remembering what happened.
For Stefan's own good, Elena went to Alaric and asked for one of his vervain darts, which she injected into Stefan to weaken him. She and Damon locked Stefan in the basement until the effects of human blood left his system. However, Stefan was guilt-ridden about the recent events and wanted to die. He refused to drink the animal blood he was given and Damon explained to Elena how they had finally become vampires: Stefan had transformed first and persuaded Damon to do so afterwards. Stefan believed that he was responsible for making a monster of his brother and every bad thing that had happened was his fault. He tried to scare Elena, but was unsuccessful. She left his door open so when he was ready to talk, he could come upstairs. But Stefan left his ring behind and went to the quarry where he and Damon had been during transitioning and Elena arrived. Stefan felt guilt and pain for what he had done, but he also felt the constant craving for blood and worried that one day he may not be able to control it any longer and hurt her. Elena knew that would never happen and gave him his ring back with two choices: throw the ring away and wait for the sun to rise and die, or wear the ring and fight the cravings he had. Stefan chose the latter.
Not long afterwards, Isobel Saltzman came to town with a mission: to get the device for Katherine. Stefan kept a watchful eye on Elena and Isobel at The Grill where Isobel told Elena to get the device from Damon. After renewing her friendship with Bonnie, Elena managed to get the device from Damon and had Bonnie remove the spell cast upon it. Bonnie of course, knew that Grams would never have done it, so she faked that she had and Elena gave the device to Katherine. Isobel told Elena that Damon loved her and as long as she had a Salvatore with her, she was doomed. After Isobel left, Elena embraced Stefan with relief as Damon watched on.
Stefan was Elena's escort Founder's Day Parade. He told Elena what Damon had told him, and that it was a possibility that her uncle, John Gilbert, was her biological father, something Elena didn't want to believe. By the time night fell, Elena was still upset about her fight with Jeremy, but Damon arrived to tell them that the tomb vampires were in the crowd, wanting revenge on the founding families. Elena and Stefan went to find Jeremy when the device was set of by John. Stefan was also affected and Elena, with the help of Alaric, took him to safety. She was confused about how the device had worked and Stefan believed that Bonnie had never really removed the spell. The two went to rescue Damon from being burned to death with the help of Bonnie who was able to calm the fire long enough for Stefan to retrieve his brother. Stefan was worried that Elena may fall in love with Damon but she reassured him that he was the one she loved. Elena went back to school to get her things to find that they were missing and someone had taken them. Elena told Stefan this when she came home and entered the house to hear a noise coming from the kitchen.}}
About their Relationship
- --Bob Levi
"One of the important things Julie and I wanted to do this season is cement the love between Stefan and Elena. It's that love story that will be the anchor of this entire show. We have to earn that."
"This is a story about Stefan and Elena's love story. I think it's fun to watch the twists and turns we take. Because you know what? She doesn't know." 
"Is she single right now? Elena is always, no matter how single she is, she's still standing there with Stefan." 
"This show is always going to be about Stefan and Elena. It has to be. They're soulmates."
"I can only say that it's a show predicated on a girl coming back to life and her development of love for one brother who then, because of who she is, changes the life of the other brother and that's our show."
"The bottom line is that Elena and Stefan are the true epic love story of the show. Damon is the third point of the triangle."
"The bottom line is that Elena as a human made a very, very, very clear choice that she would love Stefan always and forever. But then her entire life turned upside down, and any feelings she originally had for Damon were still there, and of course magnified. There was always going to be a little bit of a confusion there for her — but not enough confusion for her to be over Stefan. It would take a lot to rip Elena away from loving Stefan. It would take years and seasons." 
"Stefan is good. Stefan's knee-jerk reaction is to do the heroic thing. He can influence her in the right ways...Stefan is a person that she's going to lean on for advice and wisdom. She trusts him fully." 
"I just want [Stefan] in the end to find his love, that’s all he cares about. Of course I want him to end up with Elena. Cause I have to, that’s all I can hope for. Elena is his true love."
"I’m telling you, all it takes is one shift in writing. All it takes is one intelligently shifted moment or new storyline to sort of diverge and — boom! — we’re back on the Stefan and Elena train." 
Since the beginning of the show, Stefan and Elena had this instant connection. After her parents' death, Elena felt completely lost and dead inside. This is until Stefan arrives and makes her feel glad to be alive. This is what makes the couple so epic.
Elena and Stefan have constantly risked their lives for each other. Elena helped Stefan control his heavy blood addiction by giving him her blood a little each day in order for him to gain strength. In Season 2, they face a huge obstacle when Katherine comes back to town to win Stefan back. Despite this problem, the love between Stefan and Elena prevailed.
In Season 3, their love story takes a huge turn when Stefan leaves town with Klaus to save Damon from dying. Elena constantly searches for Stefan all summer and teams up with Damon and Alaric to bring him back. When Stefan comes back to town, Klaus immediately makes him turn his humanity off when he learns that Elena is still alive. Elena desperately does everything to get Stefan to turn his humanity back on and vows that she won't give up. During this process, Damon and Elena begin to grow close and Damon kisses her, which makes her question who she should be with. At the end of the season, Elena calls Damon and tells him that she's coming back for Stefan. Even though she had strong feelings for Damon, she was still deeply in love with Stefan. Elena claimed that no matter what happens he's "the best choice she's ever made."
Throughout Season 4, Elena struggles with her transition into a vampire. Stefan assures her that everything will be okay, but their relationship becomes strained. They eventually break up when Elena admits that being a vampire has heightened her feelings for Damon which she can no longer control. When it's discovered that Elena is sired to Damon, Stefan does everything to try to find a way to break the bond. Stefan, Elena, Damon, Alaric, Jeremy, Rebekah, Bonnie, Katherine, and Klaus race against each other to find the vampire cure. Stefan and Damon attempt to find the cure before the others in order to break Elena's sire bond. Shortly after the journey, Elena turns her humanity off in reaction to Jeremy's death. Stefan discovers that this also broke the sire bond. He does everything he can to turn her humanity back on. At the end of the season, Elena reveals that her feelings for Damon are real and she chooses to be with him, leaving Stefan heartbroken.
A lot of characters supported Elena and Stefan's romantic relationship including: Caroline, Rebekah, Klaus, and Lexi. Caroline often mentioned throughout the show that Stefan is Elena's epic soulmate. After their break up, Caroline told Elena that breaking up with Stefan was a huge mistake. The powerful hybrid vampire Klaus admits that he has never seen a love as strong as Stefan and Elena's, emphasizing how influential their love story is. Even a vampire like Rebekah envied the love Stefan and Elena had for each other. When Elena chose to be with Damon at the end of Season four, Lexi assured Stefan that Elena was and always will be his epic love.
Throughout Season Five and Season Six, Stefan and Elena are able to accomplish a close friendship and are comfortable enough to ask each other for relationship advice. In the beginning of Season 6, Julie Plec stated that "Fans will see Stefan and Elena's friendship become deep, strong and healthy." In a recent interview, Paul Wesley states that possibilities of Stelena's romantic relationship is "not out of the question" and to not rule anything out. 
Many fans hold on to the hope that this epic couple will reunite again. As said by Klaus, "Crazy or not that kind of love never dies."
Throughout the show, there have been a various amount of objects, heartfelt embraces, and emotional moments that have played an enormous role in the representation of Elena and Stefan's relationship. These symbols also continue to frequently reappear throughout the course of the show. Famous symbols of their relationship include:
- Elena's Vervain necklace
- Stefan gave Elena this necklace in Friday Night Bites. He gave her this necklace to prevent him from getting the urge to ever compell her, and to protect her from the charming, Damon Salvatore. During the first three seasons, this necklace has symbolized the strength of their love. When Stefan went missing during Season 3, the necklace gave Elena hope that she will one day be united with Stefan again.
- Forehead Kisses
- Soft moments like forehead kisses have played a big part in Elena and Stefan's relationship. These delicate gestures are what keeps their relationship so heartwarming. These small moments help to eliminate the heavy tensions portrayed in certain scenes. In The Turning Point, Elena is lying with Stefan in bed, and starts to talk to him about his previous memories. Stefan softens the scene by kissing Elena on the forehead as they continue their conversation. In Children of the Damned, Stefan feels that Damon's behavior is his fault. Elena assures Stefan that everything that happened between him and Damon in 1864 wasn't his fault. Stefan then tells Elena that he'll get her an aspirin for her headache and kisses her on the forehead before leaving. In The House Guest, Elena is struggling with the Katherine-Klaus situation. Stefan tells Elena he can come over later, but she says that her, Caroline, and Bonnie are having a "girl's night out". Joking, Elena states that Katherine can join them and Stefan laughs and lightly kisses her forehead as they head to school. When Elena attacks Meredith, after learning of Jeremy's death in Stand By Me, Stefan softly kisses her on the head as he attempts to comfort her.
- Elena and Stefan have this special thing with rings. After Elena's transition into a vampire, Stefan showed Elena the daylight ring that Bonnie made her. He slides it onto her ring finger. Elena tells him that she'll be with him forever and that they're going to get through everything. This showed how much faith she had in their relationship. They kiss and snuggle together on top of the roof, looking into the sky. In Original Sin, Elena and Damon find Stefan, and they lay him on the couch at the Salvatore Boarding house. Elena sits next to him and holds his hand while sliding his daylight ring onto his finger. In Resident Evil, during Elena and Stefan's hallucinations, Elena sees a vision of her human-self coming into her kitchen and opening a drawer. Inside the drawer is a ring box, and Elena automatically says "Yes." She holds onto the ring box while passionately kissing Stefan in the kitchen. In Black Hole Sun, Elena gives Stefan her daylight ring. Stefan kneels down and "proposes" to Elena with her daylight ring. After Elena says "Yes", he slides the ring onto her finger and they hug.
- Stelena Hugs
- Throughout the show, Elena and Stefan have meaningful and powerful hugs that makes their relationship epic. Whether in a romantic relationship or not, they always find comfort in each other's embrace when it comes to reuniting again or from saving each other from danger. Some of their most memorable hugs include:
- Their hug in Bloodlines, when Stefan tells Elena that she's the woman he loves, establishing their relationship.
- Their hug in Unpleasantville, when Elena runs into Stefan's arm after being attacked by Noah.
- Their hug in Children of the Damned, when Elena was almost killed by Damon.
- Their hug in Under Control, when Elena tells Stefan that she loves him and isn't afraid of him.
- Their hug in Isobel, when Stefan comforts Elena after a conversation with Isobel.
- Their hug in Rose, when Elena embraces Stefan after being captured by Elijah.
- Their epic reunion-hug in By The Light Of The Moon, when Stefan reunites with Elena, after being trapped in a tomb with Katherine.
- Their hug in Daddy Issues, when Stefan comforts Elena after a conversation with John Gilbert.
- Their hug in Crying Wolf, when Stefan whispers to Elena that he loves her.
- Their hug in As I Lay Dying, when Elena comforts Stefan about Damon's condition.
- Their hug in Do Not Go Gentle, after Elena informs Stefan that she has no one, to which Stefan replies, "you have me".
- Their hug in Growing Pains, when Elena is dealing with her struggling transition.
- Their hug in Memorial, when Elena tries to fight her bloodthirst.
- Their hug in Handle with Care, when Elena discovers that Stefan's memories have returned.
- Their hug in Man on Fire, when Stefan goes to Elena's dorm to see if she's okay.
- Their hug in Welcome to Paradise, when Elena sees Stefan for the first time in four months.
- Throughout the show, Elena and Stefan have meaningful and powerful hugs that makes their relationship epic. Whether in a romantic relationship or not, they always find comfort in each other's embrace when it comes to reuniting again or from saving each other from danger. Some of their most memorable hugs include:
- The Diaries
- Stefan: I wouldn't want anyone to read mine.
- Elena: You keep a journal?
- Stefan: Yeah if I don't write it down, I forget it. Memories are too important.
- The Diaries' represents the similarity between Elena and Stefan and eventually plays an important role in their relationship. When Elena discovers that Stefan keeps a diary, she becomes amazed by the writing hobby they share. This also helps Elena to become more drawn to Stefan. After reading Stefan's diary, Elena becomes more aware of his past life, establishing a strong understanding between her and Stefan. In Season 3, Elena is able to use Stefan's diary to help her find a way to get Stefan's humanity back. Throughout the show, Elena and Stefan both write about their true feelings and the situations they are dealing with in their diaries. In the books, the Diaries' are also an important part of their relationship.
- Stelena Phone Calls
- Throughout the show, Elena and Stefan have had meaningful phone conversations which draws many viewers to their relationship. Their most iconic phone conversation was in The Birthday, when Stefan called Elena and she declared, "I love you Stefan. Hold on to that. Never let that go." The strong emotions and tensions between the two characters are expressed on their faces during this magnificent scene. When asked about this phone call, Julie Plec stated:
- "Kevin, in his infinite brilliance, just said, 'No, she should get home. It's the end of the night. We think that all hope is lost. And then the phone should ring. And she should almost miss the call. And then when she picks up, he's there, but he doesn't say anything because he just needs to hear her voice, because it's the one thing keeping him from completely falling apart.' And I started to cry. I think that our most successful emotional moments of the show, they're all very human, real moments. It's a guy who just needs to hear the voice of his touchstone, of the love of his life, to let him have a better day." 
- Elena has also confessed her love for Stefan when she called Damon in The Departed, claiming, "No matter what I feel for you, I never unfell for him." Elena and Stefan's phone conversations have also kept the two characters maintaining a strong, bonding relationship with each other. They had heartfelt moments in Fade Into You, when Elena asked Stefan how he ever trusted her in the beginning of their relationship.
- [About Elena's diary]
- Stefan: I wouldn't want anyone to read mine.
- Elena: You keep a journal?
- Stefan: Yeah if I don't write it down, I forget it. (pauses) Memories are too important.
- Stefan: You're upset about something?
- Elena: No, it's just Bonnie, she's....you know what? Never mind, you're here.
- Stefan: I'm here
- (They both smile)
- Elena: Last Spring, my parents car drove off of a bridge and into the lake, and I was in the backseat and I survived, but they didn't. (Elena shrugs) So that's my story.
- (Elena walks farther and turns around to face Stefan)
- Stefan: You won't be sad forever, Elena.
- Stefan: I needed to know that you're okay.
- Elena: You know for months that's all anyone's wondered about me. (pause) That I'll be okay.
- Stefan: What do you tell them?
- Elena: That I'll be fine.
- Stefan: Do you ever mean it?
- Elena: Ask me tomorrow. So that when you're in the house, we can talk. (Elena opens the door wider) Would you like to come in?
- Stefan: Yes.
- [Elena invites her vampire in]
- Elena: Dear Diary, this morning is different. There is change. I can sense it. I can feel it.
- Stefan: I'm awake. For the first time in a long time, I feel completely and undeniably wide awake.
- Elena: For once, I don't regret the day before it begins.
- Stefan: I welcome the day.
- (Both): Because I know...
- Stefan: I will see her again.
- Elena: I will see him again. For the first time in a long time, I feel good.
- Stefan: What would you write?
- Elena: I would write: "Dear Diary, today I convinced myself it was okay to give up. Don't take risks. Stick with the status quo. No drama, now is just not the time." But my reasons aren't reasons, they're excuses. All I'm doing is hiding from the truth and the truth is that... I'm scared, Stefan. I'm scared that if I let myself be happy for even one moment that... the world's just gonna come crashing down... and I don't know if I can survive that.
- Stefan: Do you wanna know what I would write? I met a girl. We talked. It was epic. Then the sun came up and reality set in. Well this is reality... right here.
- (Elena and Stefan share their first kiss)
- -- The Night of the Comet
- Elena: I feel good. It's been a hard year, and I'm starting to kind of feel like things are getting back to normal again. And you know what? Stefan is a big part of that.
- Stefan: I wanted you to have this.
- [Elena opens the box, and takes out a silver necklace]
- Elena: Oh my God, it's beautiful.
- Stefan: It's something that I've had forever and I never wanted to give it to anyone...until now. I'd very much like it if you wear it for me. (pause) For good luck.
- Elena: Is that rose that I smell?
- Stefan: No, no it's an herb. It's nice, huh?
- Elena: (laughs) I love it.
- [Elena hands Stefan the necklace and turns around as he puts it around her neck]
- Elena: Hey, come on, there's more to me than just gloomy graveyard girl. There's a whole another Elena you have yet to meet. She was into everything, very busy.
- Stefan: Well, I look forward to meeting her, and when will that be?
- Elena: Soon. She's working on it.
- Damon: (To Elena) I like you, you know how to laugh and you make Stefan smile which is something I haven't seen in a very long time.
- --Friday Night Bites
- Stefan: I would be honored to accompany you, Miss Gilbert.
- Elena: (smiling) The pleasure is all mine, Mr. Salvatore.
- [Stefan and Elena are in the kitchen]
- Stefan: I'm an avid reader, a huge Fitzgerald fan, "The Great Gatsby", his masterpiece. But I'm no snob. I love some good Grisham. I think Seinfeld is the best American television show for the past 50 years, but I love Lucy is all-time. "The loving cup" episode was the best, I think. Huge Scorsese fan. I can watch Taxi Driver over and over again.
- Elena: Here, let me. (Elena takes up the chopping of the garlic)
- Stefan: As far as music, it's pretty much across the board. Um, Dylan, Hendrix, Patsy, Willie. A little Kanye. You know what? I even like that one Miley song.
- (Elena smirks)
- Stefan: Easy.
- Elena: I didn't say anything. Hey, this is for the garlic bread, right? Because I'm not eating garlic unless you agree to.
- Stefan: Are you kidding? I love garlic.
- --You're Undead to Me
- [Stefan and Elena are sitting at a Coffee shop]
- Elena: You said you would explain everything. That's why I asked you to meet me here. When you Google "vampire," you get a world of fiction. What's the reality?
- Stefan: I can tell you whatever you wanna know.
- Elena: I know you eat garlic.
- Stefan: Yes.
- Elena: And somehow, sunlight's not an issue.
- Stefan: We have rings that protect us.
- Elena: Crucifixes?
- Stefan: Decorative.
- Elena: Holy water?
- Stefan: Drinkable.
- Elena: Mirrors?
- Stefan: Myth.
- Elena: You said you don't kill to survive.
- Stefan: Animal blood keeps me alive, but not as strong as Damon. He can be very powerful.
- [Elena and Stefan get out of Elena's car.]
- Stefan: I want to show you something.
- Elena: In the middle of nowhere?
- Stefan: This... Didn't used to be nowhere. Used to be my home.
- Elena: It looks so...
- Stefan: Old? It's because they are.
- Elena: Wait. How long have you...
- Stefan: I've been 17 years old since 1864.
- Elena: Oh, my god.
- Stefan: You said you wanted to know. I'm not gonna hold anything back.
- Elena: The mind control... You said Katherine used. Do you ever do that to me?
- Stefan: No. That necklace, it contains an herb called vervain. It protects you from being compelled. I wanted to protect you from Damon's influence. But I also wanted to... Protect you from me. Elena, you should never take that necklace off... Because no matter what happens after today, no matter how you feel about me... You'll know that you were free to make your own choice.
- Elena: I gave you today just like you asked. And I understand that you would never do anything to hurt me, and I promise I will keep your secret, but... I can't be with you, Stefan. I'm sorry. I... I just can't...
- (Elena walks into the house, falls to the floor and cries)
- --Lost Girls
- Elena: Part of me wants to forget, too. Forget meeting you, finding out what you are, and everything that happened since.
- Stefan: If that’s what you want.
- Elena: Yes, it is. Because I don’t want it to be like this. I don’t want to feel like this. But I can’t. With everything that's happened... I can’t lose the way I feel about you.
- Stefan: Elena is... Elena's warm. And she's... she's kind and she's caring and she's selfless... and it's real. And... honestly, when I'm around her... I completely forget what I am.
- Lexi: Oh my God! You're in love with her.
- Stefan: Yeah, I am.
- Elena: You saved her life. I'm sorry, Stefan. I thought that ... I couldn't be with you, but I can. You don't have to push me away. I can do this.
- Stefan: I can't. I have to leave. Too many people have died. Too much has happened.
- Elena: What? No. I know you think you're protecting me but...
- Stefan: I have to. Coming home was...it was a mistake. I can't be a part of your life anymore.
- Elena: Don't go Stefan. Please... you don't have to. This is your home. Please don't go.
- Stefan: Good-bye, Elena. (Stefan kisses her hand)
- Elena: You're just gonna walk away? Don't walk away. Stefan!
- --History Repeating
- [Elena catches up to Stefan]
- Elena: If you walk away, it's for you because I know what I want. Stefan, I love you!
- (Stefan turns around and kisses her)
- [Elena and Stefan kiss passionately, but then Stefan turns around]
- Elena: Don't
- Stefan: (whispering) Elena, I can't.
- Elena: Yes you can. [She touches his chin] Don't hide from me.
- (Stefan slowly turns around, revealing his vampire face. Elena touches the veins under his eyes and kisses him. They walk to Stefan's room, hand-in-hand, and begin to take their clothes off)
- --The Turning Point
- Stefan: First day of school, when we met... it wasn't for the first time, Elena.
- Elena: Then when was it?
- Stefan: May 23, 2009.
- Elena: But that was...
- Stefan: That was the day your parents' car when off the bridge.
- Elena: You were there?
- Stefan: Every couple of years, I come back here to see Zach and see my home. And last spring, I was out in the woods, by Old Wickery Bridge, and I heard the accident. All of it. I was fast getting there, but not fast enough. The car was already submerged. Your dad, he was still conscious... I was able to get to him, but he wouldn't let me help him...until I helped you.
- Stefan: I spent months making sure you weren't hurt. I watched you, I... I learned everything I could about you, and I saw that you were nothing like Katherine. And I wanted to leave town, but Elena I couldn't...I couldn't leave without knowing you.
- Stefan: You are the woman that I love. I love you.
- (Elena kisses Stefan and embraces him)
- [The music speeds up and Elena starts dancing]
- Elena: Show me how it's done in the 50's.
- Stefan: Uh... no.
- Elena: Come on one move?
- (Stefan shakes his head. Elena sighs and turns around, but Stefan spins her around, lifts her up in the air, and swings her side-to-side. He puts her down and kisses her)
- Stefan: Now you're gonna remember that, because it's never gonna happen again. (Elena giggles and kisses Stefan)
- Stefan: (pleading) It's Elena, Damon. If you know something, tell me.
- Elena: You went in there not knowing if you could come back out?
- Stefan: I heard you scream.
- --Fool Me Once
- Elena: It would just be nice to get through one day without having to deal with any of it. No vampire mother or brother...
- Stefan: No vampires at all?
- [Elena smiles]
- Elena: No vampires but you.
- --There Goes the Neighborhood
- Elena: And it's my fault; I made you...
- Stefan: What? No, no, no, you didn't make me do anything. You were saving my life. [pause] And I was saving yours. (Stefan strokes Elena's cheek) Hey...everything's gonna be okay.
- --Let the Right One In
- Stefan: I don't want you to see me like this. I don't want you to know that this side of me exists.
- Elena: Stefan, you're gonna get through this. I'm gonna help you pull through. It's gonna be okay. You're gonna be okay!
- Stefan: No, no, no, no, no. [He walks towards the door] I'm sorry. I can't, I... I'm afraid of what I could do to you.
- Elena: I'm not. (She walks towards Stefan) Stefan, I'm not. (Elena kisses him) I'm not, okay?
- [They hug]
- Stefan: I love you so much.
- Elena: I love you too.
- --Under Control
- Stefan: You don't understand, Elena.
- Elena: Then tell me.
- Stefan: It hurts me. It hurts me, knowing what I've done, and that pain...That pain is with me all the time. And every day, I think that if I just...If I just give myself over to the blood, I can make that pain stop. It would be that easy, and every day, I fight that. And I am so terrified that one day, I'm not gonna want to fight that anymore, Elena. And the next time I hurt somebody...It could be you.
- Elena: There will be no next time.
- Stefan: You don't know that.
- Elena: Maybe I don't. But what I do know. Is that you can take this, throw it in the quarry, and let the sun rise. Or you could take this ring and put it on and keep fighting.
- (Elena gives him his ring and she kisses him)
- Elena: It's your choice.
- (Elena starts to walk away.)
- Stefan: Elena!
- (Stefan puts on his ring and runs to Elena and kisses her passionately)
- --Blood Brothers
- [Stefan stands near the poor table across the table from Elena]
- Elena: Can you hear me? (Stefan nods) Thanks for coming. I'm nervous... but I'm happy that you're here. (Elena looks at him) I love you.
- (Stefan mouths I love you)
- Elena: Hey, I just have to swing by home to pick up Jenna and Jeremy so we can go to the Lockwoods'. How did you leave him there, John?
- Stefan: I ... I asked him to leave town.
- (They stop walking and look at each other)
- Elena: Asked? You threatened him.
- Stefan: Yeah, I threatened him.
- Elena: Good. I want him gone, Stefan. I know that I shouldn't feel that way but I don't want someone like that in my life. Or Jeremy's life.
- Elena: We're going to be boring high school students who live in a world where the “v” word is not uttered.
- Stefan: Got it!
- Elena: Then later you're going to take me to the Ferris wheel, we're gonna ride to the very top and then you're gonna kiss me and my heart will flutter like a normal high school girl.
- [Stefan and Elena arrive at the empty carnival]
- Elena: Stefan what are we doing here? We could get caught.
- Stefan: I compelled the guard to on break so I could kiss my girlfriend at the top of the Ferris wheel.
- Elena: Stefan...
- Stefan: We have to take these moments, Elena. What Katherine did to Caroline could just be the beginning and there are things with Tyler's family that we don't even understand yet and there's always the “D” word but I came back to this town to start a life with you. We can't forget to live it.
- Elena: But Stefan, how are we gonna get to the top?
- Stefan: I guess you'll just have to hold on tight.
- (Elena holds on and Stefan jumps to the top of the Ferris wheel and sits down. She laughs, then stops, looking at Stefan with confusion.)
- Elena: What?
- Stefan: It's just so nice to see you laugh.
- (They kiss)
- Elena: It's not going to get any easier, is it?
- Stefan: No, it's not.
- --Brave New World
- [Elena goes in her bedroom. She turns around and Stefan is there]
- Stefan: Are you okay?
- (She smiles and embraces him)
- Elena: I hated that fight.
- Stefan: I know me too. It felt too real.
- (She kisses him)
- --Memory Lane
- Stefan: Okay how about this. Today when we're fighting, if I say “I can`t do this anymore Elena,” what I really mean is that I love you.
- Elena: And when I say “Fine, Stefan, whatever," well that means I love you too.
- Stefan: (smiling) Deal.
- (They kiss)
- [Elena is standing outside the Salvatore's Library]
- Stefan: You can come in.
- Elena: Do you really think that you can control it?
- Stefan: I don’t know but if I don’t try…
- Elena: So a little bit every day?
- Stefan: Yeah, just a few drops of blood in my system. I think it's worth trying.
- Elena: So do I, but I don’t want you to do it alone.
- (She takes a paper-knife)
- Stefan: What are you doing?
- (She cuts her hand)
- Elena: It's you and me, Stefan. Always.
- (He drinks her blood. His face changes. She kisses him. His face becomes normal again. They kiss again.)
- -- Kill or Be Killed
- Stefan: You're staring.
- Elena: I'm gazing.
- Stefan: It's creepy.
- Elena: It's romantic. (They kiss)
- Elena: This is bad of us.
- Stefan: Yes, it is.
- Elena: If Katherine finds out..
- Stefan: Katherine who? (They kiss)
- Elena: Wait uh, okay I have to be in the shower.
- Stefan: Love it, let's go.
- Elena: (laughs) No just me...I'm late, I'm decorating at the Lockwood Charity Fair.
- Stefan: Well what do you know, so am I.
- Stefan: You know, Elena and I, we're kind of taking a - a pause.
- Jenna: Really?
- Stefan: Yeah.
- Jenna: Because that's not what it sounded like this morning.
- (Stefan tries to muster a face of confusion, but fails to fool her.)
- Jenna: Light sleeper. You know what? I heard nothing.
- (She smiles and leaves)
- Stefan: I'm so, so sorry.
- Elena: We were stupid, sneaking around, thinking we weren't gonna get caught.
- Stefan: I know.
- Elena: We did this, Stefan. Jenna's in the hospital and Jeremy could be next. All because we didn't...we didn't listen to her, because... because we're together. Stefan...
- Stefan: I know what you're gonna say.
- Elena: Then let me say it. I've been so selfish because I love you so much and you know how much you love me...but it's over. Stefan it has to be.
- Stefan: Elena, I don't...
- Elena: No Stefan...it has to be. (She kisses him)
- -- Plan B
- Elena: Stefan... I...
- Stefan: Katherine being gone doesn't change anything for you, does it?
- Elena: I want to be with you, Stefan. You know that but first, I need to wake up and know that the people that I love are safe. I need to feel safe. Do you understand?
- Stefan: Yeah. Yeah, I- I understand.
- [About saving Elena]
- Stefan: I don’t really care.
- Damon: It’s a bad idea, Stefan.
- Stefan: It’s Elena.
- Stefan: Elena.
- Elena: I can’t talk about it, Stefan.
- Stefan: You have to. Don’t shut me out. Elena, please.
- (She’s crying)
- Elena: I wanted to know the truth and I got it. It’s not just me that’s in danger. It’s Caroline and it’s Tyler and it's Bonnie. They’re all part of breaking the curse. I can’t blame anyone else anymore because it’s not because you came into town or because you and I fell in love. That’s not why everyone that I love is in danger. It’s because of me, everything is because of me.
- (He embraces her. She’s crying. He kisses her on the top of her head)
- [Elena enters Stefan’s bedroom]
- Elena: Stefan? Stefan? You’re standing right behind me, aren’t you?
- Stefan: Yep.
- (She turns around and kisses him)
- Stefan: Good morning.
- Elena: I don’t want us to be apart anymore. Ever.
- Stefan: Me neither, but…
- Elena: Don’t ruin the moment.
- (They kiss again but Stefan stops)
- Elena: You’re about to ruin the moment, aren’t you?
- Stefan: I’m totally ruining the moment. Look, I can’t just pretend like everything is okay.
- Elena: Katherine’s locked away in the tomb.
- Stefan: I know but we still have this pressing little issue of you being Klaus’ human sacrifice.
- (She opens one of Stefan’s drawer and takes a vial of vervain and opens it)
- Elena: Yes but Elijah promised to keep me and everyone else safe as long as we play by his rules.
- Stefan: Right. As long as you play by his rules.
- (She puts the vervain in a glass)
- Elena: Please don’t go after Isobel.
- Stefan: Katherine said Isobel could have some answers and I just have a couple questions, that’s all.
- (She pours water in the glass with the vervain in it. She drinks)
- Elena: Stefan, I made a deal with Elijah.
- Stefan: Right, you made a deal with him. I didn’t make one. You should keep your deal.
- Elena: Stefan, I don’t want anyone else to get hurt.
- Stefan: When have I ever wanted somebody to get hurt?
- (She shows him the glass)
- Elena: Vervain. I made it light but are you sure? Just because Katherine built up a tolerance…
- Stefan: Yes, bottoms up.
- (He takes the glass and drinks but he coughs)
- Elena: Are you okay?
- Stefan: Yeah.
- Elena: How can Elijah compel another vampire?
- Stefan: He’s an original. I don’t really know what that means. I don’t think anybody really knows what that means. Well, except maybe Isobel. Maybe we should ask her.
- (He kisses her and leaves)
- --The Descent
- Stefan: How was the slumber party?
- Elena: Good and much needed. [flirtatiously] When can you and I have one?
- Stefan: Mmm. That can be arranged.
- Elena: Okay. Now. Today. Take me far, far away.
- Stefan: Even with everything that's going on?
- Elena: Because of everything that's going on.
- Stefan: And you're sure this has nothing to do with dodging your father who just got into town?
- Elena: Uh, this has everything to do with that.
- Stefan: Well, in that case, where would you like to go?
- [Elena smiles.]
- [Stefan is standing outside the Lakehouse door]
- Elena: You don't have to wait out there. I'm all good.
- Stefan: Oh, that's great because I'm, uh... I'm stuck.
- Elena: Oh, my god. You can't get in.
- Stefan: Not gonna be a very romantic weekend unless you, uh, invite me inside.
- Elena: Stefan, I can't.
- Stefan: What?
- Elena: My parent's left this place to John Gilbert. He's the only one who can invite you in. I'm sorry. I--I completely forgot.
- Stefan: You're kidding me, right?
- (Elena looks at him seriously for a moment, but finally cracks a smile)
- Elena: Stefan Salvatore, I hereby invite you into this home.
- Stefan: You are such a liar.
- (Stefan enters the house and picks Elena up. Elena giggles)
- [Stefan stands behind Elena, wrapping his arms around her]
- Stefan: You know, this is a future memory. It's where your boyfriend whispered to you that he loved you. I love you. [Elena smiles]
- -- Crying Wolf
- Stefan: Lexi showed me that there was another way. And from that day forward, I started fighting for it. For my own survival. (Stefan places his hand on Elena's cheek.) That's all I want you to do. I just want you to fight for it.
- [Elena rushes inside Stefan's room]
- Elena: Stefan, we're late for school.
- Stefan: Let's be later.
- Elena: Stefan, it's school. Remember that thing that we keep forgetting about? (Stefan turns her towards him and kisses her) Hey...
- Stefan: What's school? Doesn't ring a bell.
- (Elena laughs and Stefan picks her up and walks to the bed)
- Elena: Stefan! Okay five minutes, only five minutes!
- (Stefan lays her on the bed and they makeout)
- Stefan: Five minutes?!
- (Elena and Stefan kiss passionately)
- --The House Guest
- Stefan: (To Elijah) I'm sorry for the part that I played in your death. I was protecting Elena. I will always protect Elena.
- -- Klaus
- Elena: What's the best part about being a vampire?
- Stefan: Ahh. You feel like you could do anything. Be anyone. Beautiful things are more beautiful. Everything's heightened, you just live more intensely, love more powerfully.
- Elena: And the worst?
- Stefan: Ah, you know the worst.
- Elena: Aside from the blood?
- (He stops and looks at her)
- Stefan: Anger becomes rage. When you're sad, you're in despair. Grief. Loss. It can cripple you. That's why so many of us turn our emotions off. It just becomes... Too overwhelming. You know, for a while, for me, the good just wasn't worth the bad.
- Stefan: If it was my choice, I'd want to be with you forever.
- Elena: Stefan, hey, hey, it's fine, it's fine. I'll go. No one needs to get hurt. There's no reason for you to get hurt.
- (She kisses him)
- Elena: I love you.
- Stefan: I love you.
- (They kiss again)
- Elena: Close your eyes. Close your eyes.
- (He closes his eyes. She lets go of his hand. When he opens he eyes, she’s gone)
- -- The Last Day
- Elena: Hey! Look who couldn't resist an epic romance.
- Stefan: Will you come take a walk with me?
- (She gets up and leaves with him)
- Elena: I'm breaking the rules, you know. Movie night's supposed to be a distraction. Tomorrow we can return to our regularly scheduled drama.
- Stefan: I know. I wish this could wait, but it can't. Listen, um, the other night when Damon was helping Tyler, something happened. Tyler was starting to transform, and Damon was bitten.
- Elena: What? Is it... is he gonna...
- Stefan: Yeah.
- Elena: Oh, my God. And he came to the house this morning and... and tried to apologize. I practically slammed the door in his face.
- Stefan: He told me not to tell you, but I figured if you wanted to talk to him, I... I wouldn't wait.
- Elena: Stefan…
- Stefan: It's not over. There might be a cure, but I have to find Klaus to get it.
- Elena: No. He's gonna kill you.
- Stefan: No, he had the chance to kill me, but he didn't. Whatever Damon's done, whatever has led him here, I'm the one that made him become a vampire in the first place, so if there's a chance for a cure, I owe it to him to find it.
- (They embrace each other)
- --As I Lay Dying
- Elena: I'm not gonna give up on finding Stefan, Caroline.
- Elena: (to Caroline): You want me to make a wish? I just wanna know if he's alive. That's it! That's my wish.
- [On the phone]
- Elena: Stefan, if this is you, you'll be okay. I love you, Stefan. Hold on to that. Never let that go.
- -- The Birthday
- Elena: You gave up on him [Stefan] Damon.
- Damon: I didn't give up on him, Elena. I faced reality. Now get out of the water.
- Elena: No!
- Damon: What's your big plan, Elena? Huh? You gonna walk through a campsite full of werewolves, roast a marshmallow, and wait for Stefan to stop by?
- Elena: My plan is to find him and help him. Damon, this is the closest that we've been to him since he left. I'm not going home.
- Damon: Klaus thinks you died when he broke the curse. That makes you safe. This, this is not safe.
- Elena: I'm not leaving before we find him.
- Gloria: There's the girl with the necklace. You love her. You'd do anything for her.
- Rebekah: Do you think you'll ever love anyone like you loved that girl [Elena]?
- Stefan: One day, maybe.
- Rebekah: I can always tell when you're lying, Stefan.
- --Disturbing Behavior
- Elena: You can fight it! You just have to want it bad enough.
- Stefan: Why, because I love you?
- Elena: Yeah. That's right, Stefan. Because you love me. You'll fight, because after everything we've been through, you owe me that.
- Stefan: You know what? You're right. You're right. I owe you everything, because through all of this, you were the only thing that has kept me from giving up. From turning it all off.
- Elena: Stefan... I love you. Fight, Stefan. Don't give up.
- Klaus: Now this is fascinating, I've never seen this before. The only thing stronger than your craving for blood, is your love for this one girl.
- -- The Reckoning
- Elena: I used to know every constellation. How did I forget them all?
- Stefan: You're drunk. You need to go home.
- Elena: Fine. Let me find my car.
- Stefan: You're joking, right?
- Elena: Uh-oh. It's the fun police. I thought that Ripper Stefan was supposed to be the life of the party.
- Stefan: Well, all right, I'm driving you home. Come on. [She spans the ramp] What are you, five? Get down.
- Elena: Why? Are you afraid that I'm going to... [she almost falls] Oh. Ha. That was close. Klaus would not be happy with you.
- Stefan: You're hilarious.
- Elena: Look, Stefan, no hands. (She removes her hands but almost falls. She laughs but finally falls. Stefan catches her) I knew you'd catch me.
- Stefan: [To Alaric] Yeah. You know, you can hate it all you want, but Elena needs me. I'll always protect her. I think you're both better off having me around.
- Stefan: Why didn't you let me die?
- Elena: Because I still have hope, I know who you really are. Better than anyone, Stefan. I’m not giving up.
- Stefan: Elena. Do you have any idea how pathetic that makes you?
- Elena: No Stefan, it makes me stronger.
- -- Smells Like Teen Spirit
- Lexi: [About Ripper Stefan] He's still in there, Elena. You just have to break through.
- Elena: I haven't given up, Stefan. I still have hope. But there's nothing that I can do until you get yours back. (She touches his face) Hey. You can break through this. Fight for it. Feel something. Anything, Stefan.
- --Ghost World
- Rebekah: Honestly, I don't get you two as a couple.
- Elena: Why would you? You don't know anything about who he really is.
- --Ordinary People
- Stefan: He did, Elena! He backed down! He has a weakness. If I know his weakness, I can destroy him.
- Elena: And after everything, that’s what matters? Destroying Klaus?
- Stefan: Destroying Klaus is all I have left.
- Elena: You had me!
- Stefan: I lost you the minute I left town with him. You just haven’t let yourself admit that yet.
- Elena: Is that what you’re doing? Trying to make me hate you?
- Stefan: I don’t really care what you think about me anymore, Elena.
- Stefan: You've changed. Something is different about you. You're stronger. Tougher.
- Elena: You're not the only one, who changed, Stefan.
- --The Ties That Bind
- Elena: He dances, and I didn't even have to beg.
- Elena: When we were together you used to let me make my own decisions. You trusted me. After all this at least that hasn't changed.
- Elena: Did you really not feel anything?
- Stefan: When?
- Elena: How do you do that? Act like you don't care, like you don't feel anything? Because I can't do that. I... I feel. I feel everything.
- Stefan: Elena, stop.
- Elena: I'm not going to stop, Stefan, because I don't believe that you feel nothing.
- Stefan: What? You think I want to be this person? I hurt you, Elena. I bit you. I hate myself for what I did to you.
- (Elena grabs Stefan's face in her hands.)
- Elena: Then show it! Do something, Stefan, anything is better than trying to convince me that you don't care.
- Stefan: I can't.
- Elena: Stefan.
- (Stefan grabs Elena's wrists and removes her hands from his face)
- Stefan: If I let myself care, all I feel is pain.
- --Dangerous Liaisons
- Stefan: We were in this gym the night Klaus compelled me to turn my feelings off. I thought I hit rock bottom in the 20s, but after I bit you, I never wanted to feel anything again. But someone, kept telling me it was okay to feel, no matter how much it hurt, that our emotions are what make us human, good or bad. And to never lose hope.
- Elena: Who gave you that horrible advice?
- Stefan: Some girl I used to date.
- Elena: (sobbing) I don't have anyone anymore.
- Stefan: (stroking her cheek) You have me.
[Elena hugs him while crying]
[On the phone]
Elena: I love him, Damon. He came into my life when I needed someone and I fell for him instantly. No matter what I feel for you, I..I never unfell for him.
- -- The Departed
- Stefan: I love you so much.
- Elena: Do you wanna know why I was even on that bridge? I was coming back for you Stefan. I had to choose... I picked you. Because I love you. No matter what happens, it's the best choice I ever made. God, sucks that I can't see you right now.
- Stefan: I'm smiling.
- Elena: Me too.
- -- Growing Pains
- [Stefan is standing behind Elena. He is trying to teach her how to use her super speed.]
- Elena: [Giggles] I can’t do it.
- Stefan: Alright, it’s like the starting line of a race, right? So you just push off with every ounce of strength that you have.
- Elena: Yeah, but I was a cheerleader. I sucked at track.
- Stefan: Just concentrate, okay? You can do it.
- Elena: [Crouches into a running position and breathes out. Stefan places his hands around her waist.]
- Elena: I can’t. All I can think about is your hands on my body.
- Stefan: Oh, okay. [Stefan takes his hands off from around her waist. She grabs his hands and puts them back around her.]
- Elena: No, no, no. I - I didn't say to take them off. It feels good.
- Stefan: Yeah? What does it feel like?
- Elena: It feels like you’re touching every nerve on my body.
- Stefan: [Runs his hand up and down Elena’s arm and waist.]
- Stefan: Everything is heightened. Taste, smell, sight, touch.
- -- Memorial
- Stefan: (to Rebekah) I never did answer your question. If it meant that I got to be with her, have children, grow old with her... If it meant that we’d die together, be buried together...then yes, I’d take the cure.
- -- The Five
- Note: Look back at Killed Or Be Killed for reference.
- Caroline: Because Stefan is your soul mate.
- -- My Brother's Keeper
- Klaus(to Damon): I remember when I compelled him (Stefan) to feed on Elena. He fought so hard he actually managed to resist. Now, that's love.
- -- Catch Me If You Can
- [Stefan's hallucination]
- Elena: Wait, stay with me Stefan.
- Stefan: What are you doing here?
- Elena: I know this is torture, but stay with me. Your humanity is the one thing that makes you who you are. Don't let go. Please Stefan. For me.
- -- I Know What You Did Last Summer
- Stefan: But if I was there both times, then why didn't I save you both times?
- Elena: Because the second time you saved my best friend, Matt... because I asked you too.
- Stefan: Oh... got it... so I'm an idiot.
- Elena: No, you were the perfect boyfriend. You valued what I wanted, even if it wasn't what you agreed with.
- Stefan: Whatever monster I was capable of being, I could see why I was different around you.
- Elena: You were never a monster.
- -- For Whom the Bell Tolls
- Stefan: (At Elena) I wanted it to be you. (pause) When that safe finally opened ...I wanted it to be you. (looking at Damon when he comes) I wanted it to be both of you.
- -- Death and the Maiden
- Stefan: You don't know what it's like being in love with you. You know, when you and I were together, every single atom in my body told me that it was the right thing, that we were a perfect fit. And that kind of love, it can change your whole life. And then when somebody who made you feel that way suddenly stops, the vacuum is just...
- -- No Exit
[Stefan and Elena's hallucination of their first meeting]
- Stefan: Lose something?
- Elena: Uh, yes. It's a particularly mortifying page from my journal.
- Stefan: Oh, you censor your journal? Pretty sure that's against journal rules.
- Elena: (laughing) And I'm pretty sure, you're not the journal police. Trust me, it's really bad.
- Stefan: I'm officially intrigued.
- Elena: (smiles, and walks towards Stefan) And I'm officially not kidding. [Elena holds her hand out, and Stefan gives her the paper. Their hands touch and their eyes slowly meet.] Thank you. [Elena looks at him and smiles] I'm Elena.
- Stefan: I'm Stefan.
[Elena opens the drawer and sees a ring box.]
[Elena and Stefan in the kitchen]
- Elena: You know that she bit him this morning?
- Stefan: Really? Nice.
- Elena: Stefan, don't encourage that.
- Stefan: (laughs) What? Everyone loves a biter!
- Elena: (laughing) Oh yeah, I'll bite you.
- Stefan: (smiling) Good. I'll bite you right back.
[Stefan and Elena sitting by the fire.]
- Stefan: You know the life that we had...I mean, that was amazing too. It wasn't a spell or a prophecy, it was real. We fell in love on our own. We had ups and downs, we fought.
- Elena: I died.
- Stefan: Yeah. (pause) We changed, both of us. We grew apart, but that is real. I mean, that's life. (sigh)
- Elena: You couldn't cook.
- Stefan: And you could, again a fantasy.
- [Elena laughs]
- Stefan: I'll always love you, Elena.
- Elena: I will always love you too.
- --Resident Evil
- [On the phone]
- Elena: I need you to give me hope. (sobbing) Because I don't think I can live forever without him.
- Stefan: I can't. I gave up.
- Elena: You just said you were looking for him.
- Stefan: I did, and then I realized it was pointless and that I needed to move on with my life. So I stopped.
- Elena: What do you mean you stopped?
- Stefan: I mean I said goodbye, Elena. I moved on. Damon is gone. It's time for you to say goodbye too.
- --I'll Remember
- Liam: (To Stefan and Elena) So how long have you two been together? Was that recent? Because you two seem weirdly functional.
- --Welcome to Paradise
- Elena: Where do you think you're going?
- Stefan: (chuckles) Uh, I'm going home.
- Elena: Savannah is not your home, Stefan. It's an escape, a hiding place. This(Elena points to the Mystic Falls sign) is your home.
- Stefan: No, it was my home. But, I can no longer enter its borders, therefore I have a new home.
- Elena: (raises her eyebrows) So, you're just going to throw in the towel and go back to your fake new life?
- Stefan: Look, my fake new life ended when Enzo decided to kill my not-so-fake girlfriend, Ivy. So, I am going to go home, pack up and start over. Again.
- Elena: By pretending like your life here never existed?
- Stefan: You'd be surprised how easy it is to forget the past, Elena.
- Elena: But I'm not buying it. You lost your brother. There's no way that you're fine.
- (Stefan sighs, reaching down for the keys, but Elena holds them up, smiling.)
- Stefan: You don't have to worry about me. It's not like I haven't done this before, I have a system.
- Elena: Show me. Prove to me that your system works. If I believe that you actually are happy, then I'll let you go. But if I don't buy it, which I probably won't, I will keep harassing you until you come home. (she scrunches up her nose) And, I'm talking about, like, Enzo-sized harassment.
- (They share a look, and Elena jiggles the keys.)
- Elena: Deal?
- (Stefan holds his hand out for the keys.)
- Stefan: Sure.
- (Elena drops them into his hand.)
- [Stefan and Elena are inside the mechanic shop]
- Stefan: So, after taxes, and Social Security, and health insurance, I'm left with 206 dollars and three cents to spend for the week. Do you wanna get drunk? (He holds up his paycheck)
- Elena: Stefan? Health insurance?
- Stefan: Yeah. Point is to start over. Pretend to be as human as possible.
- Elena: Ah, okay. So, no vampire privileges, no baggage, nothing from our old lives whatsoever, huh? (She points at Stefan's car and clears her throat dramatically) What's this?
- Stefan: You got me there. Damon isn't around calling it granny-mobile, so...
- Elena: Yeah, your brother really did love to torture people with nicknames. And just plain torture people...
- Stefan: (confused by Elena's tone) ...That's one way to put it.
- Elena: So, your system for moving on requires both burning bridges and a dead-end job.
- Stefan: We haven't even gone for the fun part.
- Elena: Paying your utilities?
- Stefan: No. Deciding who you wanna be for the next thirty years. You wanna be an astronaut? You wanna be an Olympic athlete? You wanna skip med school? Boom, you're a doctor! Go ahead, challenge me. I'll show you how it's done.
- Elena: Alright, Let see what you got.
- Stefan: Okay.
- [Stefan and Elena's fake proposal]
- Stefan: Elena Williams.
- Elena: Stefan Cooper, what are you doing?
- Stefan: We've known each other for a long time now, and you've always been my best friend. I've always loved you. And I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you...
- Elena: Wait! You're not just proposing to me because I'm pregnant, are you?
- Stefan: No. No, I..I am proposing to you because you are my rock, ok? You have stood by my side through the multiple rehabs, the jail time, the bull-fighting injury. I mean you brought me back from the edge, and sweetheart, this baby is the best thing that's ever happened to us. Will you marry me?
- Elena: (nodding) Yes!
- [Stefan slides Elena's ring onto her finger and they hug]
- Elena: But when I first met you, you said you've been away from Mystic Falls for 15 years. What made you come back ahead of schedule?
- Stefan: Uh, you said it yourself. I met you.
- --Black Hole Sun
- [On the phone]
- Elena: How did you know that you could trust me?
- Stefan: Trust you with what?
- Elena: When you were honest with me, about what you were? How did you know that you could trust me with such a huge secret?
- Stefan: It's easy. I was in love with you. I wanted you to know everything.
- [Elena smiles]
- --Fade Into You
- Kai: (About Elena) You know, she was human, pure, dating the good Salvatore. Then she became an undead blood vacuum, stopped caring about right and wrong, and started dating the bad one.
- Damon: You had a choice. You chose Stefan. Human you was on your way home to him.
- --The Day I Tried To Live
- Start Up: The Night of the Comet (1x02)
- Break Up: Lost Girls (1x06)
- Reason: Elena finds out that Stefan is a vampire.
- Start Up: The Turning Point (1x10)
- Break Up: Plan B (2x06)
- Reason: Katherine wanted Elena and Stefan to break up and to prove it she attacks Jenna. So for the sake of anyone she loves getting be killed, Elena does what Katherine wants, and tearfully breaks up with Stefan, despite how much she doesn't want to.
- Start Up: Rose (2x08)
- Break Up: The End of the Affair (3x03)
- Reason: Elena and Damon go in Chicago to save Stefan. But by the time she was there to save Stefan, Stefan rejects Elena and said that he doesn't want be saved; he lies and says he doesn't want her anymore.
- Start Up: Growing Pains (4x01)
- Break Up: We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes (4x06)
- Reason: Elena admitted to Stefan that since she became a vampire, her feelings for Damon intensified . Her desires became darker and she wasn't the same girl that chose him on the Wickery Bridge. Stefan couldn't deal with it anymore and consequently broke up with Elena.
- In the novels, Elena and Stefan are soulmates.
- Stefan and Elena both keep a diary.
- Nina Dobrev and Paul Wesley, the actors who play Elena Gilbert and Stefan Salvatore respectively, are very close friends in real life.
- In the novels, when Stefan realizes how Elena looks exactly like Katherine, he tries to avoid her and she is determined to have him. In the series, Stefan wants to know Elena and be with her, unlike his book counterpart who wants to stay away due the temptation of hurting Elena, or worse, killing her.
- Both the novel version and the television series version of Stefan wants to protect Elena from the charming Damon Salvatore.
- Stefan has always respected Elena's decisions.
- Stefan has never compelled Elena.
- Both their birthday's have been Celebrated.
- Elena chose Stefan over Damon as a human and told Stefan that "No matter what happens, it's the best choice I've ever made." However, they break up soon following her heightened feelings for Damon.
- Stefan and Elena have both fought compulsion by thinking about each other:
- Stefan was the first to discover that Katherine was in Elena's body.
- Bob Levi was shocked by how much chemistry Paul Wesley and Nina Dobrev have.
- Julie Plec has stated, "Bottom line is Stefan and Elena are the true epic love story of the show. Damon is the third point of the triangle."
- Kevin Williamson said Stefan and Elena are "soulmates".
- They are both doppelgängers from different bloodlines.
- Qetsiyah said they are destined to be together according to the Doppelgänger Prophecy.
- However this was later revealed to be a fake "spell" created by Markos in order to have doppelgänger blood.
- Damon believes that Elena would still be with Stefan if she was human.
- A lot of celebrities have showed their support for Team Stelena:
- Kylie Jenner ships Stefan and Elena.
- Dinah Jane and Lauren Jauregui (from Fifth Harmony) are both Team Stelena. 
- Stella Hudgens, the younger sister of actress, Vanessa Hudgens, ships Stefan and Elena.
- Arielle Kebbel is on Team Stelena.
- Charles Michael Davis, Danielle Campbell, and Daniella Pineda openly admit that they're Team Stelena. 
- Steven R. McQueen is Team Stelena and states, "End of the day, Stefan and Elena are made for each other." 
- According to Seventeen Magazine, "It was always Stefan from the beginning. #TeamStelena". 
- According to Paul Wesley, Stelena isn't over.  
- In Resident Evil, Stefan and Elena admitted that they'll always love each other.
- Elena and Stefan know each other better than anyone else.