|Stefan and Elena|
Dated, Made love, Elena called Stefan her epic love, Protective of one another, Care deeply about one another, They claimed to always love each other, Stefan asked Elena to bring his humanity back.
May 23, 2009 (Unofficially) September 7, 2009 (Officially)
September 9, 2009 (The Night of the Comet)
Close Friends, Exes, Elena is the love of Stefan's life.
|“||Just remember to bring me back.||”|
Stefan originally returned to town to get to know Elena after saving her from a car accident. They instantly fell in love and began a romantic relationship in season 1, which became strained when Damon fell in love with Elena and Katherine returned to win Stefan back. Though they continuously reassured each other and remained loyal throughout seasons 1 and 2. They fell out of contact at the end of season 2, when Stefan left to save his brothers life. Though they stayed faithful to each other, whilst Elena searched for him, until Damon kissed Elena. She admitted this to Stefan and at the end of season 3 rejected Damon, choosing to be with Stefan. Their relationship was rekindled and lasted into the beginning of season 4. Though they eventually broke up when Elena began to reciprocate Damon's love, and chose to be honest with Stefan about her feelings and intentions. He was determined to move on, before he came upon the discovery that Elena was sired to Damon. He stayed to help Elena in their search to cure her vampirism, throughout the sire bond. He admitted to still being in love with her, and even attempted to seduce her into finding her humanity again. But when the sire bond was broken and Elena chose Damon all the same, it became apparent that her affections for him were real, and Stefan was finally convinced to leave town. When Stefan goes to dispose Silas's body, Silas suddenly appears as Stefan's doppelgänger and locks Stefan in a safe and throws him in the water. Stefan is trapped in the safe the whole summer, and thinks about Elena whenever he gets the urge to turn his humanity off. Throughout the summer, Elena feels that something is wrong with him and when it is finally discovered that Stefan is missing, Damon and Elena are able to find him with the help of Elena's dream. Elena and Stefan later learn that they are part of the Doppelgänger prophecy and are destined to be together. However, they learn that this prophecy is fake. Throughout Season Five, they both are able to form a close friendship post break up and move on from each other. In Season Six, Elena and Stefan fall out of contact again and both cope with Damon's death in different ways. Stefan originally comes back home after four months to seek revenge on Enzo, but is caught off guard when he runs into Elena at Whitmore College and they immediately renew their friendship. Elena also goes to Savannah with Stefan, where he teaches her about living a new life as well as how to "start over".
They are known as "Stelena" by fans.
While visiting his uncle Zach Salvatore, Stefan hears a car crash near Wickery Bridge and sees a car submerged in the water. He dives in the water and goes after it and is able to get to the car. A man is still conscious and tells him to help his daughter, who is unconscious. Stefan does as he is asked, and saves Elena from drowning. When he sees her face, he is shocked to see she resembles an old flame of his, Katherine Pierce. He goes back to the car, but is too late to save her parents. Due to his curiosity about Elena, Stefan remains in Mystic Falls and keeps an eye on her from a distance. When school starts, he decides to become a student so that he can meet her and get to know her better.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries Series
At the party, Stefan hears Bonnie and Elena talking about him from a distance and tries to make his way over, but is stopped by Caroline. By the time he gets to Elena, Bonnie has left. Elena is happy that he is there. As they talk, Stefan notes that she is sad. Elena admits that her parents died the previous spring, and only she survived. Stefan tells her that she won't be sad forever. Elena explains that she used to date Matt, but they broke up after her parents died. Elena then notices there is something wrong with Stefan's eyes and he hurries away to get himself and Elena a drink.
When Stefan comes back, Caroline tries again to get his full attention, but he kindly rejects her and goes to Elena, who sees her brother high again and has to go after him, leaving Stefan alone. She and Jeremy come back with Vicki Donovan, who has been attacked by an animal. Elena notices Stefan has mysteriously disappeared again. He comes by her house later that night to see whether she is alright. She tells him that that is all people wonder about her, but he should ask her the next day. She invites him in — and he accepts.
The next morning, both Elena and Stefan feel better than they had before, knowing that they will see other again. While talking to Caroline and Bonnie, Elena decides to go to the Salvatore Boarding House to see Stefan, but runs into his older brother, Damon Salvatore. Damon "unintentionally" mentions Stefan's past love Katherine Pierce, driving Elena to believe Stefan is on the rebound. Stefan finds the two and Elena talking, and Elena leaves, seeing that Stefan doesn't seem very happy. Elena is disheartened after hearing about Katherine.They later meet at the Night of the Comet Festival, where Stefan apologizes for his attitude when she visited his house. Elena tells him about what Damon said to her about Katherine, and she tells him that when you lose someone, it stays with you and always reminds you how easy it is to get hurt. Stefan replies by telling her that it was a long time ago, meaning that he's over it. Before she leaves, Elena says that it isn't going to work, because it is too complicated.
After Elena and Jenna had a talk, Elena realizes that she is a little scared of starting a new relationship. She visits Stefan at his house, and says that she was going to do what she always does, and write in her diary, but she should be saying it to him. Stefan tells her what he would write, saying exactly what Elena had said earlier at the comet festival, and they share their first kiss.Wanting Bonnie to like Stefan, Elena arranges a dinner for the three of them, and as she hoped, Bonnie warms up to him. Stefan, who is against letting Damon inside the house when he arrives with Caroline, loses the argument. Elena has no problem with it. Wanting to protect Elena from Damon, Stefan gives her a necklace containing vervain so she won't fall victim to compulsion. Elena asks Stefan to be her escort to the Founder's Party to which he accepts, though reluctantly. While she and Bonnie are getting ready, Bonnie tells Elena what Caroline told her: Stefan tried to take Katherine from Damon.
At the party, Elena asks Stefan to be open with her, but he keeps dodging her questions, leading her to believe what Bonnie had told her is true. But when she discovers Damon has been hurting Caroline, she begins to see that Stefan has been truthful on the subject all along.
Stefan goes about his daily life after he imprisons Damon. While leaving the Mystic Grill, Stefan runs into an old man who is shocked to see that Stefan hadn't aged a day. Stefan denies knowing him, but it makes Elena curious, for this isn't the only strange thing that has happened since they began dating. Stefan and Elena go to the Sexy Suds Car Wash together. Elena sees and speaks to Tiki's Grandfather, who tells her he had seen Stefan in June 1953. With the help of Logan Fell, Elena investigates this, and sees Stefan's face for herself on an old film at the local television station. Still disbelieving, she goes to the Salvatore Boarding House and demands to know what Stefan is. She is shocked when he tells her he was a vampire. She runs to her car and goes home, but he gets to her room and tries to explain that Damon is behind the attacks in Mystic Falls. Elena, still frightened, asks him to leave. Stefan does as she asks, and leaves. The next day, Elena arranges a meeting between them, so Stefan can explain everything to her.Elena admits she researched vampires on the Internet, but only got fiction. Stefan explains that holy water, garlic, and crucifixes are harmless to vampires, and that his ring protects him from the sunlight. He takes her to the ruins that were once his home, revealing he has 17 years old since 1864. It all goes back to Katherine, who is a vampire. She toyed with Stefan and Damon's hearts, and both brothers fell in love with her. He tells her the necklace he gave her has vervain, so she would be protected from vampires' compulsion. They then go home to find Jeremy and Matt with Vicki, who Stefan realizes was transitioning into a vampire. When she escapes, Stefan goes after her to help her, but fails in stopping her from drinking Logan Fell's blood. Elena understands what Stefan is, and promises to keep his secret, but she explains to him that she can't be with him in the process and broke up with him.
Stefan and Damon keep Vicki in their house, but she escapes when Damon starts to teach her how to use her vampire powers. Stefan alerts Elena on the matter, and they find Vicki with Jeremy, whom Vicki was about to attack. Elena tries to stop her, but Vicki bites her and throws her aside. Seeing no other choice, Stefan takes a broken piece of wood and plunges it in Vicki's chest, killing her. This devastates Jeremy and Elena. Elena tells Stefan that she would give anything to forget what she knew about vampires, but she would never forgive Stefan if he took the memories away. For Jeremy's sake however, she asks him to erase the memories of Vicki. Stefan, however, can't do it properly because of how he feeds, so Damon volunteers to do it instead.
Sheriff Forbes questions Matt, Jeremy, Elena and Stefan on Vicki's disappearance and all have no clue what happened to her or where she went, although Stefan and Elena are forced to lie. Stefan wants Elena to talk to him about her concerns about Matt and Jeremy, but she tells him he has to stay away from her.
Later, deciding to talk to Stefan, Elena goes to his house. The door is answered by Lexi, who has just gotten out of the shower. When Elena asks where Stefan was, Lexi tells her that he is in the shower. Misunderstanding, Elena leaves.
Stefan comes to Elena's house that evening and realizes that Elena thought Lexi is his "rebound girl". Stefan explains that Lexi is a 350 year old vampire and Stefan's best friend, who came to Mystic Falls to celebrate Stefan's 162nd birthday. He asks Elena why she came by, but she tells him it was a mistake. Again, Stefan asks her to talk to him, and she says she can't because she needs to talk, but could only be with him and that was too hard. Before he leaves, Stefan asks Elena if she needs a ride to Caroline's party. Elena says she is not going, and tells Stefan having a great time with Lexi.After Stefan leaves, Elena changes her mind and goes to Caroline's party at the Grill. After small talk with Damon, Elena decides to leave. However, Lexi invites her to talk, unaware that Stefan is eavesdropping. Lexi gives Elena advice about Stefan before leaving, drinking Elena and Stefan's tequila before joining Stefan at the pool table.
After another attack, Sheriff Forbes injects Lexi with vervain because the witness was compelled by Damon to think Lexi was the attacker, and takes her away. Stefan sees what happened, and tries to leave, but the deputies refuse to let him go. He and Elena manage to get out of the Grill, and see Lexi fight off the deputies. She is then shot by wooden bullets by Forbes, and was staked by Damon, much to Stefan's horror. Stefan is grief-stricken by the death of his friend, and Elena tries to comfort him, but is too angered by what Damon has done, and says that he has to kill him. Elena tries to stop him from destroying his life, but Stefan says she is right to stay away, and leaves.
Damon soon reveals why he had returned to Mystic Falls: to get Katherine, who is trapped in a tomb under the ruins of Fell's Church. Emily Bennett, Katherine's handmaiden, was a witch who cast a spell over the vampires to protect them from being destroyed. however, she couldn't let Damon have what he wanted and possessed Bonnie, her descendant, to destroy the crystal that would help open the tomb. Enraged by Emily's actions, Damon attacked Bonnie. Elena was horrified by this but Stefan went over to Bonnie and fed her some of his blood which healed her wound. Elena took Bonnie home, but before leaving, she saw that being with Stefan was something she could handle after all and was willing to continue there relationship, but Stefan, seeing that he could put her in danger, refused, believing it best if he left Mystic Falls, breaking Elena's heart.
Elena and Jenna spoke over the events of their ex-boyfriends, with Logan reappearing and Stefan leaving. however when another vampire started attacking in town, Stefan decided to stay a little longer and warned Elena about it. On Career Night, Stefan and Elena discussed Stefan never sticking to anything because he always had to leaving due to his immortal age. Elena didn't want to discuss her future because he wouldn't be in it. After finding out Logan Fell was the vampire, Stefan and Damon went after him. They rescued Caroline from him and Stefan took her home, leaving Damon to deal with Logan. At the Salvatore Boarding House, Elena told Stefan that she wanted him to stay, but he couldn't. Elena declared her love for him and they made love for the first time. Later, Stefan went for a drink of water and left Elena alone in his room. Their relationship hit a rocky patch when Elena came across his photo of Katherine and was shocked at how much she looked like her. Heartbroken and confused, Elena took off her necklace and left. Stefan came back and found Elena's necklace on Katherine's photo and realized what happened.
Stefan tried to contact Elena but didn't expect Damon to answer her phone. Damon brought Elena back to Mystic Falls and Stefan told Elena about how they had first met, how he had save her from the car with her parents. Elena wanted to know why she looked like Katherine, and Stefan said it was a possibility that she was adopted since Katherine was a "Pierce" and Elena was a "Gilbert", going over all the research he had done after seeing her for the first time. Elena was still shocked, but Stefan said it didn't matter to him, he loved her. They shared a kiss initiated by Elena and made up.
Stefan questioned Elena about the mysterious guy but all she could remember was that he was hooded. Stefan gave her the compass so she would know when a vampire was around and a box with jewelry with vervain for her friends, Jenna and Jeremy. While getting ready for the 50's dance, Elena found the compass spinning in all directions and called Stefan out of panic but Damon answer, telling Elena that Stefan was coming over. Elena was relieved as she believed Stefan was one the one the compass was pointing to until she was attacked by Noah, who had posed as a pizza-delivery guy to get in the house. Damon suggested Elena become the bait for Noah, something Stefan was against, but Elena agreed to it.
She and Stefan danced at the party until she saw a hooded man in the crowd. Stefan went after him, but he wasn't Noah. Noah threatened Elena with Jeremy's life and she left the dance and fled into the cafeteria. She managed to subdue Noah with pencils and broke a mop to stake him but Noah caught it before she could kill him. Stefan was able to save her in time, stabbing Noah with the broken handle of the mop. Stefan and Damon questioned Noah who told them about Emily's spell book but refused to spill anything else, so Stefan killed him. After taking Elena home, Stefan told her he promised to help Damon get Katherine back, but it was a lie. Elena promised to help him.
Damon was unaware of what the two had planned, but he suspected something was up. Because he couldn't believe what Stefan told him, he asked Elena whether Stefan was lying. She lied to him and Damon believed her. Elena and Stefan continued to try to find the grimoire themselves. They learned from Johnathan Gilbert's journals that he had given the book to Giuseppe Salvatore, Stefan and Damon's father. Stefan always heard his father say he would take secrets to the grave and realized where the grimoire was: buried with his father. He and Elena found Giuseppe's grave. They unearthed it and Stefan took the book away from his father's corpse. But then Damon arrived, knowing the Stefan would plan something like his. However, he admitted that Elena had him fooled, but he wanted the book. When Stefan denied handing it over, Damon did the one thing to make sure Stefan gave him the grimoire.
Damon grabbed Elena and forced blood into her mouth, threatening to turn her into a vampire if he didn't give him the book, and Stefan gave it up for Elena's safety. Stefan took her home and explained why Damon no longer trusted him: because he had broken the promise not to reveal what Katherine was to their father Giuseppe. Stefan went to get Elena medicine for her headache and heard from Jenna that Jeremy had brought a friend of his home: Anna. Stefan immediately knew that Elena was in danger and hurried to her room find her missing.
He went back home but Damon was unhelpful, saying sincerely that he hoped Elena died. Stefan went to Bonnie's grandmother Sheila Bennett who helped him find Elena and Bonnie held captive by Ben McKittrick who had been turned by Anna. For the sake of getting Damon out of town, the Bennetts agreed to open the tomb. Damon took Elena in with him so they wouldn't close the tomb with him inside. However, the witches hadn't broken Emily's spell and when Stefan went in to save Elena, he couldn't get out of the tomb. The Bennetts broke the spell to let him out. To Damon's disbelief, Katherine wasn't in the tomb at all and later learned from Anna's mother Pearl that Katherine had never been in the tomb and didn't care about Damon.
Stefan and Elena were both worried about Damon's behavior after finding out the Katherine never gave a damn. While researching her mother Isobel, it was revealed that she had been Alaric Saltzman's wife and that Damon had killed her. Elena was angry and confronted him. She and Stefan left the Mystic Grill to find a stranger who warned them to stop searching for Isobel, meaning she was alive—or at least, undead. He committed suicide after delivering the message.
Wanting her life to be normal without any vampires except Stefan and wanting to just have fun, she and Stefan accepted Caroline's invitation of a double date with herself and. At the Mystic Grill, Elena and Matt reminisced about their childhood memories, much to Stefan's amusement and Caroline's disappointment. While walking back from the bathroom, a man called her "Katherine" but said he mistook her for someone else when he heard Caroline call her "Elena". Elena told Stefan, but the man had already left. They all had fun until arriving at the Salvatore Boarding House to find Damon making out with Matt's mom Kelly Donovan. Elena left with Caroline and spoke to Stefan on the phone when she got home. He decided not to tell her he and Damon were attacked by two vampires after she left, one of them being the guy who called her Katherine.
Elena remained hostile towards Damon. While Stefan went out to feed on animals, he was attacked by the tomb vampires. Damon got worried and informed Elena who had no clue where he was. Damon went to Miss Gibbons House and saw that the vampires were torturing Stefan in revenge for killing Bethanne, Frederick's girlfriend. Samantha Gibbons was compelled never to let Damon in and he had to watch helplessly as they took Stefan away. He went back to his car and told Elena had Stefan was their prisoner. Elena decided she was going in to get Stefan, but Damon believed it would be too risky. They went to Alaric who agreed to help because Damon had lied to him. Elena didn't want to remain in the car so she took a vervain dart and went to the house. She came across an angry Damon along the way and they found a tortured Stefan, who convinced Damon not to kill Harper, another vampire who had tried to stop the others from hurting him.
Elena took Stefan away from the house and to the car, but they were attacked by Fredrick who stuck a branch in Stefan, badly wounding him. Elena shot him with a vervain dart and removed the branch. Seeing that Stefan was severely weak, she forced him to drink her blood to get stronger. Stefan refused, but eventually gave in and ferociously killed Frederick. His behavior had frightened Elena, as she had never seen him like that before. He thanked her afterwards for saving him and said he never wanted her to see that side of him. Elena believed had gone back to normal but the memory was still unsettling. Unknown to her however, Stefan had grown a craving for human blood and Damon found him drinking out the blood he had taken from the blood bank.
Stefan kept his new secret away from Elena, but she noticed he started to act livelier than he had before. At the Founder's Day Kick-Off Party, Stefan persuaded the DJ to play better music than what was assigned and danced with Matt's mother, Kelly, and Elena. They accidentally bumped into Duke, who rudely spoke to Elena for what had happened. This angered Stefan and he compelled Duke to apologize twice since the first time was unsatisfactory. This started to worry Elena.
Stefan was Elena's escort to the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant but his craving for blood led him to steal from the blood bank. This news was reported to Damon by Sheriff Forbes and he alerted Elena to the new situation. Stefan walked in on the conversation but his attempt to assure Elena that he would be fine failed. Frustrated, he broke the mirror in the bathroom and was interrupted by Amber Bradley, another contestant. Stefan compelled her to not be afraid and took her away from the event, leaving Damon to take his place as Elena's escort. Stefan remained confused and angry and eventually compelled Amber to be frightened and run, but caught up and fed on her. Elena and Damon arrived to see what Stefan had done and with Bonnie's help, Stefan fled the scene without Amber remembering what happened.
For Stefan's own good, Elena went to Alaric and asked for one of his vervain darts, which she injected into Stefan to weaken him. She and Damon locked Stefan in the basement until the effects of human blood left his system. However, Stefan was guilt-ridden about the recent events and wanted to die. He refused to drink the animal blood he was given and Damon explained to Elena how they had finally become vampires: Stefan had transformed first and persuaded Damon to do so afterwards. Stefan believed that he was responsible for making a monster of his brother and every bad thing that had happened was his fault. He tried to scare Elena, but was unsuccessful. She left his door open so when he was ready to talk, he could come upstairs. But Stefan left his ring behind and went to the quarry where he and Damon had been during transitioning and Elena arrived. Stefan felt guilt and pain for what he had done, but he also felt the constant craving for blood and worried that one day he may not be able to control it any longer and hurt her. Elena knew that would never happen and gave him his ring back with two choices: throw the ring away and wait for the sun to rise and die, or wear the ring and fight the cravings he had. Stefan chose the latter.
Not long afterwards, Isobel Saltzman came to town with a mission: to get the device for Katherine. Stefan kept a watchful eye on Elena and Isobel at The Grill where Isobel told Elena to get the device from Damon. After renewing her friendship with Bonnie, Elena managed to get the device from Damon and had Bonnie remove the spell cast upon it. Bonnie of course, knew that Grams would never have done it, so she faked that she had and Elena gave the device to Katherine. Isobel told Elena that Damon loved her and as long as she had a Salvatore with her, she was doomed. After Isobel left, Elena embraced Stefan with relief as Damon watched on.
Stefan was Elena's escort Founder's Day Parade. He told Elena what Damon had told him, and that it was a possibility that her uncle, John Gilbert, was her biological father, something Elena didn't want to believe. By the time night fell, Elena was still upset about her fight with Jeremy, but Damon arrived to tell them that the tomb vampires were in the crowd, wanting revenge on the founding families. Elena and Stefan went to find Jeremy when the device was set of by John. Stefan was also affected and Elena, with the help of Alaric, took him to safety. She was confused about how the device had worked and Stefan believed that Bonnie had never really removed the spell. The two went to rescue Damon from being burned to death with the help of Bonnie who was able to calm the fire long enough for Stefan to retrieve his brother. Stefan was worried that Elena may fall in love with Damon but she reassured him that he was the one she loved. Elena went back to school to get her things to find that they were missing and someone had taken them. Elena told Stefan this when she came home and entered the house to hear a noise coming from the kitchen.}}
About their Relationship
- --Bob Levy
"One of the important things Julie and I wanted to do this season is cement the love between Stefan and Elena. It's that love story that will be the anchor of this entire show. We have to earn that."
"This is a story about Stefan and Elena's love story. I think it's fun to watch the twists and turns we take. Because you know what? She doesn't know." 
"Is she single right now? Elena is always, no matter how single she is, she's still standing there with Stefan." 
"This show is always going to be about Stefan and Elena. It has to be. They're soulmates."
"I can only say that it's a show predicated on a girl coming back to life and her development of love for one brother who then, because of who she is, changes the life of the other brother and that's our show."
"The bottom line is that Elena and Stefan are the true epic love story of the show. Damon is the third point of the triangle."
"The bottom line is that Elena as a human made a very, very, very clear choice that she would love Stefan always and forever. But then her entire life turned upside down, and any feelings she originally had for Damon were still there, and of course magnified. There was always going to be a little bit of a confusion there for her — but not enough confusion for her to be over Stefan. It would take a lot to rip Elena away from loving Stefan. It would take years and seasons." 
"Stefan is good. Stefan's knee-jerk reaction is to do the heroic thing. He can influence her in the right ways...Stefan is a person that she's going to lean on for advice and wisdom. She trusts him fully." 
"I just want [Stefan] in the end to find his love, that’s all he cares about. Of course I want him to end up with Elena. Cause I have to, that’s all I can hope for. Elena is his true love."
"I’m telling you, all it takes is one shift in writing. All it takes is one intelligently shifted moment or new storyline to sort of diverge and — boom! — we’re back on the Stefan and Elena train." 
Since the beginning of the show, Stefan and Elena had this instant connection. After her parents' death, Elena felt completely lost and dead inside. This is until Stefan arrives and makes her feel glad to be alive. This is what makes the couple so epic.
Elena and Stefan have constantly risked their lives for each other. Elena helped Stefan control his heavy blood addiction by giving him her blood a little each day in order for him to gain strength. In Season Two, they face a huge obstacle when Katherine comes back to town to win Stefan back. Despite this problem, the love between Stefan and Elena prevailed.
In Season Three, their love story takes a huge turn when Stefan leaves town with Klaus to save Damon from dying. Elena constantly searches for Stefan all summer and teams up with Damon and Alaric to bring him back. When Stefan comes back to town, Klaus immediately makes him turn his humanity off when he learns that Elena is still alive. Elena desperately does everything to get Stefan to turn his humanity back on and vows that she won't give up. During this process, Damon and Elena begin to grow close and Damon kisses her, which makes her question who she should be with. At the end of the season, Elena calls Damon and tells him that she's coming back for Stefan. Even though she had strong feelings for Damon, she was still deeply in love with Stefan. Elena claimed that no matter what happens he's "the best choice she's ever made."
Throughout Season Four, Elena struggles with her transition into a vampire. Stefan assures her that everything will be okay, but their relationship becomes strained. They eventually break up when Elena admits that being a vampire has heightened her feelings for Damon which she can no longer control. When it's discovered that Elena is sired to Damon, Stefan does everything to try to find a way to break the bond. Stefan, Elena, Damon, Alaric, Jeremy, Rebekah, Bonnie, Katherine, and Klaus race against each other to find the vampire cure. Stefan and Damon attempt to find the cure before the others in order to break Elena's sire bond. Shortly after the journey, Elena turns her humanity off in reaction to Jeremy's death. Stefan discovers that this also broke the sire bond. He does everything he can to turn her humanity back on. At the end of the season, Elena reveals that her feelings for Damon are real and she chooses to be with him, leaving Stefan heartbroken.
A lot of characters supported Elena and Stefan's romantic relationship including: Caroline, Rebekah, Klaus, and Lexi. Caroline often mentioned throughout the show that Stefan is Elena's epic soulmate. After their break up, Caroline told Elena that breaking up with Stefan was a huge mistake. The powerful Original Hybrid Klaus admits that he has never seen a love as strong as Stefan and Elena's, emphasizing how influential their love story is. Even a vampire like Rebekah envied the love Stefan and Elena had for each other. When Elena chose to be with Damon at the end of Season four, Lexi assured Stefan that Elena was and always will be his epic love.
Throughout Season Five and Season Six, Stefan and Elena are able to accomplish a close friendship and are comfortable enough to ask each other for relationship advice. In the beginning of Season 6, Julie Plec stated that the friendship between Stefan and Elena is very strong, and that it could turn into romance soon.  In a recent interview, Paul Wesley states that possibilities of Stelena's romantic relationship is "not out of the question" and to not rule anything out. 
Many fans hold on to the hope that this epic couple will reunite again. As said by Klaus, "Crazy or not that kind of love never dies."
Throughout the show, there have been a various amount of objects, heartfelt embraces, and emotional moments that have played an enormous role in the representation of Elena and Stefan's relationship. These symbols also continue to frequently reappear throughout the course of the show. Famous symbols of their relationship include:
- Elena's Vervain necklace
- Stefan gave Elena this necklace in Friday Night Bites. He gave her this necklace to prevent him from getting the urge to ever compell her, and to protect her from the charming, Damon Salvatore. During the first three seasons, this necklace has symbolized the strength of their love. When Stefan went missing during Season Three, the necklace gave Elena hope that she will one day be united with Stefan again.
- Forehead Kisses
- Soft moments like forehead kisses have played a big part in Elena and Stefan's relationship. These delicate gestures are what keeps their relationship so heartwarming. These small moments help to eliminate the heavy tensions portrayed in certain scenes. In The Turning Point, Elena is lying with Stefan in bed, and starts to talk to him about his previous memories. Stefan softens the scene by kissing Elena on the forehead as they continue their conversation. In Children of the Damned, Stefan feels that Damon's behavior is his fault. Elena assures Stefan that everything that happened between him and Damon in 1864 wasn't his fault. Stefan then tells Elena that he'll get her an aspirin for her headache and kisses her on the forehead before leaving. In The House Guest, Elena is struggling with the Katherine-Klaus situation. Stefan tells Elena he can come over later, but she says that her, Caroline, and Bonnie are having a "girl's night out". Joking, Elena states that Katherine can join them and Stefan laughs and lightly kisses her forehead as they head to school. When Elena attacks Meredith, after learning of Jeremy's death in Stand By Me, Stefan softly kisses her on the head as he attempts to comfort her.
- Elena and Stefan have this special thing with rings. Their first notable ring scene was introduced in Blood Brothers, when Elena puts Stefan's daylight ring in his hand and encourages him to fight his blood lust. After Elena's transition into a vampire, Stefan shows Elena the daylight ring that Bonnie made her. He slides it onto her ring finger. Elena tells him that she'll be with him forever and that they're going to get through everything. This shows how much faith she had in their relationship. They kiss and snuggle together on top of the roof, looking into the sky. In Original Sin, Elena and Damon find Stefan, and they lay him on the couch at the Salvatore Boarding house. Elena sits next to him and holds his hand while sliding his daylight ring onto his finger. In Resident Evil, during Elena and Stefan's hallucinations, Elena sees a vision of her human-self coming into her kitchen and opening a drawer. Inside the drawer is a ring box, and Elena automatically says "Yes." She holds onto the ring box while passionately kissing Stefan in the kitchen. In Black Hole Sun, Elena gives Stefan her daylight ring. Stefan kneels down and "proposes" to Elena with her daylight ring. After Elena says "Yes", he slides the ring onto her finger and they hug.
- Stelena Hugs
- Throughout the show, Elena and Stefan have meaningful and powerful hugs that makes their relationship epic. Whether in a romantic relationship or not, they always find comfort in each other's embrace when it comes to reuniting again or from saving each other from danger. Some of their most memorable hugs include:
- Their hug in Bloodlines, when Stefan tells Elena that she's the woman he loves, establishing their relationship.
- Their hug in Unpleasantville, when Elena runs into Stefan's arm after being attacked by Noah.
- Their hug in Children of the Damned, when Elena was almost killed by Damon.
- Their hug in Under Control, when Elena tells Stefan that she loves him and isn't afraid of him.
- Their hug in Isobel, when Stefan comforts Elena after a conversation with Isobel.
- Their hug in Rose, when Elena embraces Stefan after being captured by Elijah.
- Their epic reunion-hug in By The Light Of The Moon, when Stefan reunites with Elena, after being trapped in a tomb with Katherine.
- Their hug in Daddy Issues, when Stefan comforts Elena after a conversation with John Gilbert.
- Their hug in Crying Wolf, when Stefan whispers to Elena that he loves her.
- Their hug in As I Lay Dying, when Elena comforts Stefan about Damon's condition.
- Their hug in Do Not Go Gentle, after Elena informs Stefan that she has no one, to which Stefan replies, "you have me".
- Their hug in Growing Pains, when Elena is dealing with her struggling transition.
- Their hug in Memorial, when Elena tries to fight her bloodthirst.
- Their hug in Handle with Care, when Elena discovers that Stefan's memories have returned.
- Their hug in Man on Fire, when Stefan goes to Elena's dorm to see if she's okay.
- Their hug in Welcome to Paradise, when Elena sees Stefan for the first time in four months.
- Throughout the show, Elena and Stefan have meaningful and powerful hugs that makes their relationship epic. Whether in a romantic relationship or not, they always find comfort in each other's embrace when it comes to reuniting again or from saving each other from danger. Some of their most memorable hugs include:
- The Diaries
- The Diaries' represents the similarity between Elena and Stefan and eventually plays an important role in their relationship. When Elena discovers that Stefan keeps a diary, she becomes amazed by the writing hobby they share. This also helps Elena to become more drawn to Stefan. After reading Stefan's diary, Elena becomes more aware of his past life, establishing a strong understanding between her and Stefan. In Season 3, Elena is able to use Stefan's diary to help her find a way to get Stefan's humanity back. Throughout the show, Elena and Stefan both write about their true feelings and the situations they are dealing with in their diaries. In the books, the Diaries' are also an important part of their relationship.
- Stelena Phone Calls
- Throughout the show, Elena and Stefan have had meaningful phone conversations which draws many viewers to their relationship. Their most iconic phone conversation was in The Birthday, when Stefan called Elena and she declared, "I love you Stefan. Hold on to that. Never let that go." The strong emotions and tensions between the two characters are expressed on their faces during this magnificent scene. When asked about this phone call, Julie Plec stated:
- "Kevin, in his infinite brilliance, just said, 'No, she should get home. It's the end of the night. We think that all hope is lost. And then the phone should ring. And she should almost miss the call. And then when she picks up, he's there, but he doesn't say anything because he just needs to hear her voice, because it's the one thing keeping him from completely falling apart.' And I started to cry. I think that our most successful emotional moments of the show, they're all very human, real moments. It's a guy who just needs to hear the voice of his touchstone, of the love of his life, to let him have a better day." 
- Other notable phone calls between Elena and Stefan include: There Goes the Neighborhood, Founder's Day, Crying Wolf, Fade Into You, and The Downward Spiral. Elena has also confessed her love for Stefan when she called Damon in The Departed, claiming, "No matter what I feel for you, I never unfell for him." Elena and Stefan's phone conversations have also kept the two characters maintaining a strong, bonding relationship with each other.
- Motorcycle Scenes
- Shortly after Elena's transition into a vampire, Stefan takes her on a ride on his motorcycle to show her the fun parts in being a vampire. As Stefan drives the motorcycle, Elena sits behind him and later on stands up while slowly spreading her arms out. She enjoys the free feeling and her and Stefan smile while they ride together. As Stefan prepares to go back to Savannah, Elena stops him and takes his keys away. Elena tells Stefan that she wants him to show her how to live life with a new identity. Stefan agrees and Elena hands Stefan his keys and hops on his motorcycle as they prepare to leave together. It should also be noted that Elena and Stefan are the only two main characters on the show to ride on a motorcycle. Also, whenever Stefan rides his motorcycle, Elena is always with him.
- Start Up: The Night of the Comet (1x02)
- Break Up: Lost Girls (1x06)
- Reason: Elena finds out that Stefan is a vampire.
- Start Up: The Turning Point (1x10)
- Break Up: Plan B (2x06)
- Reason: Katherine wanted Elena and Stefan to break up and to prove it she attacks Jenna. So for the sake of anyone she loves getting be killed, Elena does what Katherine wants, and tearfully breaks up with Stefan, despite how much she doesn't want to.
- Start Up: Rose (2x08)
- Break Up: The End of the Affair (3x03)
- Reason: Elena and Damon go in Chicago to save Stefan. But by the time she was there to save Stefan, Stefan rejects Elena and said that he doesn't want be saved; he lies and says he doesn't want her anymore.
- Start Up: Growing Pains (4x01)
- Break Up: We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes (4x06)
- Reason: Elena admitted to Stefan that since she became a vampire, her feelings for Damon had intensified and that she wasn't the same girl that chose him on the Wickery Bridge. Stefan consequently broke up with Elena.