|Stefan and Elena|
Dated, Made love, Love each other, Stefan saw Elena as his soulmate, Elena called Stefan her epic love, Protective of one another, Care deeply about one another, Stefan has always respected Elena's decisions, Stefan asked Elena to bring his humanity back, They know each other better than anyone, Elena is the love of Stefan's life
May 23, 2009 (Unofficially) September 7, 2009 (Officially)
September 9, 2009 (The Night of the Comet)
Close Friends, Exes, Currently Separated (Elena is under a sleeping spell).
|“|| Thank you for bumping into me that day in the hallway. I never thought I could be happy again and then I met you. You changed everything for me. You... you quite literally saved my life. I love you so much.
— Elena to Stefan in I'm Thinking Of You All The While
— Stefan about Elena in I'm Thinking Of You All The While
Stefan originally returned to town to get to know Elena after saving her from a car accident. They instantly fell in love and began a romantic relationship in season 1, which became strained when Damon fell in love with Elena and Katherine returned to win Stefan back. Though they continuously reassured each other and remained loyal throughout seasons 1 and 2. They fell out of contact at the end of season 2, when Stefan left to save his brothers life. Though they stayed faithful to each other, whilst Elena searched for him, until Damon kissed Elena. She admitted this to Stefan and at the end of season 3 rejected Damon, choosing to be with Stefan. Their relationship was rekindled and lasted into the beginning of season 4. Though they eventually broke up when Elena began to reciprocate Damon's love, and chose to be honest with Stefan about her feelings and intentions. He was determined to move on, before he came upon the discovery that Elena was sired to Damon. He stayed to help Elena in their search to cure her vampirism, throughout the sire bond. He admitted to still being in love with her, and even attempted to seduce her into finding her humanity again. But when the sire bond was broken and Elena chose Damon all the same, it became apparent that her affections for him were real, and Stefan was finally convinced to leave town. When Stefan goes to dispose Silas's body, Silas suddenly appears as Stefan's doppelgänger and locks Stefan in a safe and throws him in the water. Stefan is trapped in the safe the whole summer, and thinks about Elena whenever he gets the urge to turn his humanity off. Throughout the summer, Elena feels that something is wrong with him and when it is finally discovered that Stefan is missing, Damon and Elena are able to find him with the help of Elena's dream. Elena and Stefan later learn that they are part of the Doppelgänger prophecy and are destined to be together. However, they learn that this prophecy is fake. Throughout Season Five, they both are able to form a close friendship post break up and move on from each other. In Season Six, Elena and Stefan fall out of contact again and both cope with Damon's death in different ways. Stefan originally comes back home after four months to seek revenge on Enzo, but is caught off guard when he runs into Elena at Whitmore College and they immediately renew their friendship. Elena also goes to Savannah with Stefan, where he teaches her about living a new life as well as how to "start over". Stefan and Elena later work together to try to get Caroline's humanity back and when Caroline forces Stefan into his humanity off, he tells Elena to "bring him back". Elena helps Damon bring back his mother and they are able to get Stefan and Caroline's humanity back. Elena later takes the cure, and soon falls under a sleeping spell, created by Kai, to link her life to Bonnie's. They share an emotional goodbye and assure each other that they will meet again soon.
They are known as "Stelena" by fans.
While visiting his uncle Zach Salvatore, Stefan hears a car crash near Wickery Bridge and sees a car submerged in the water. He dives in the water and goes after it and is able to get to the car. A man is still conscious and tells him to help his daughter, who is unconscious. Stefan does as he is asked, and saves Elena from drowning. When he sees her face, he is shocked to see she resembles an old flame of his, Katherine Pierce. He goes back to the car, but is too late to save her parents. Due to his curiosity about Elena, Stefan remains in Mystic Falls and keeps an eye on her from a distance. When school starts, he decides to become a student so that he can meet her and get to know her better.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries Series
About their Relationship
- --Bob Levy
"One of the important things Julie and I wanted to do this season is cement the love between Stefan and Elena. It's that love story that will be the anchor of this entire show. We have to earn that."
"This is a story about Stefan and Elena's love story. I think it's fun to watch the twists and turns we take. Because you know what? She doesn't know." 
"Is she single right now? Elena is always, no matter how single she is, she's still standing there with Stefan." 
"This show is always going to be about Stefan and Elena. It has to be. They're soulmates."
"I can only say that it's a show predicated on a girl coming back to life and her development of love for one brother who then, because of who she is, changes the life of the other brother and that's our show."
"The bottom line is that Elena and Stefan are the true epic love story of the show. Damon is the third point of the triangle."
"The bottom line is that Elena as a human made a very, very, very clear choice that she would love Stefan always and forever. But then her entire life turned upside down, and any feelings she originally had for Damon were still there, and of course magnified. There was always going to be a little bit of a confusion there for her — but not enough confusion for her to be over Stefan. It would take a lot to rip Elena away from loving Stefan. It would take years and seasons." 
"Stefan is good. Stefan's knee-jerk reaction is to do the heroic thing. He can influence her in the right ways...Stefan is a person that she's going to lean on for advice and wisdom. She trusts him fully." 
"I just want [Stefan] in the end to find his love, that’s all he cares about. Of course I want him to end up with Elena. Cause I have to, that’s all I can hope for. Elena is his true love."
"I’m telling you, all it takes is one shift in writing. All it takes is one intelligently shifted moment or new storyline to sort of diverge and — boom! — we’re back on the Stefan and Elena train." 
"I love The Notebook, and I know an epic love story when I see one, and I felt like Elena and Stefan had an epic love. You know [how] your first love in high school, or whatever it may be for each person, feels like it? It’s almost an infectious look that you see in people’s eyes. I’ve felt it and I’d been in love before, so I wanted to make sure it was epic … just like it was in The Notebook."
Since the beginning of the show, Stefan and Elena had this instant connection. After her parents' death, Elena felt completely lost and dead inside. This is until Stefan arrives and makes her feel glad to be alive.
Elena and Stefan have constantly risked their lives for each other. Elena helped Stefan control his heavy blood addiction by giving him her blood a little each day in order for him to gain strength. In Season Two, they face a huge obstacle when Katherine comes back to town to win Stefan back. Despite this problem, the love between Stefan and Elena prevailed.
In Season Three, their love story takes a huge turn when Stefan leaves town with Klaus to save Damon from dying. Elena constantly searches for Stefan all summer and teams up with Damon and Alaric to bring him back. When Stefan comes back to town, Klaus immediately makes him turn his humanity off when he learns that Elena is still alive. Elena desperately does everything to get Stefan to turn his humanity back on and vows that she won't give up. During this process, Damon and Elena begin to grow close and Damon kisses her, which makes her question who she should be with. At the end of the season, Elena calls Damon and tells him that she's coming back for Stefan. Even though she had strong feelings for Damon, she was still deeply in love with Stefan. Elena claimed that no matter what happens he's "the best choice she's ever made."
Throughout Season Four, Elena struggles with her transition into a vampire. Stefan assures her that everything will be okay, but their relationship becomes strained. They eventually break up when Elena admits that being a vampire has heightened her feelings for Damon which she can no longer control. When it's discovered that Elena is sired to Damon, Stefan does everything to try to find a way to break the bond. Stefan, Elena, Damon, Alaric, Jeremy, Rebekah, Bonnie, Katherine, and Klaus race against each other to find the vampire cure. Stefan and Damon attempt to find the cure before the others in order to break Elena's sire bond. Shortly after the journey, Elena turns her humanity off in reaction to Jeremy's death. Stefan discovers that this also broke the sire bond. He does everything he can to turn her humanity back on. At the end of the season, Elena reveals that her feelings for Damon are real and she chooses to be with him, leaving Stefan heartbroken.
A lot of characters admired Elena and Stefan's romantic relationship including: Caroline, Rebekah, Klaus, and Lexi. Caroline often mentioned throughout the show that Stefan is Elena's epic soulmate. After their break up, Caroline told Elena that breaking up with Stefan was a huge mistake. The powerful Original Hybrid Klaus admits that he has never seen a love as strong as Stefan and Elena's, emphasizing how influential their love story is. Even a vampire like Rebekah envied the love Stefan and Elena had for each other. When Elena chose to be with Damon at the end of Season four, Lexi assured Stefan that Elena was and always will be his epic love.
Throughout Season Five and Season Six, Stefan and Elena are able to accomplish a close friendship and are comfortable enough to ask each other for relationship advice. In the beginning of Season 6, Julie Plec stated that the friendship between Stefan and Elena is very strong, and that it could turn into romance soon.  In a recent interview, Paul Wesley states that possibilities of Stelena's romantic relationship is "not out of the question" and to not rule anything out. 
Many fans hold on to the hope that this epic couple will reunite again. As said by Klaus, "Crazy or not that kind of love never dies."
Significant Moments and Symbolism
Throughout the show, there have been a various amount of objects, heartfelt embraces, and emotional moments that have played an enormous role in the representation of Elena and Stefan's relationship. These symbols also continue to frequently reappear throughout the course of the show. Famous symbols and memorable moments of their relationship include:
- The Graveyard Scene
- In Pilot, Elena is sitting in the cemetery while writing in her diary. A crow then appears on her parents gravestone, and she tries to shoo it away. Fogs starts to come around the tomb, and Elena also sees a man standing behind a tombstone. She gets scared and trips and falls while running away, injuring herself. When she gets up, she encounters Stefan. He asks Elena if she's okay. Elena confused, asks Stefan if he was following her this whole time. Stefan, taken off guard, tells Elena that he just saw her fall. She tells Stefan that it's only because he just happens to be in a cemetery at the exact same time that she is in a cemetery. Stefan tells Elena that he is visiting because he has family at there. Elena is taken back and apologizes, saying that she was being tactless. Elena smiles at Stefan and introduces herself to him: “I’m Elena”. Stefan looks at Elena with tenderness and smiles at her. He introduces himself to Elena: “I’m Stefan”. Elena replies to Stefan: “I know. We have History together.” This scene is a significant scene for Stefan and Elena’s bond and connection with each other, it also means that Stefan and Elena are also in the same History class together at school.
- Stefan and Elena's First Kiss
- At the end of the episode The Night of the Comet, Elena goes to the Salvatore Boarding House and she rings the bell. Stefan answers the door, and asks Elena if she would like to come in. Elena tells Stefan that the comet is outside and that she wants to watch it with him. Stefan follows Elena outside, and she apologizes for barging in after what had happened earlier between them. Stefan tells Elena that she shouldn’t apologize and that he was glad that she was there because he didn’t like the way that they had left things earlier. Elena tells him that when she had gotten home, she planned on doing what she had always did, which was to write in her diary. Elena says that by writing in her diary, she gets everything that she thinks and feels out, but then she says that she realized that she would just be writing things that she should probably be telling him. Stefan, who shares a hobby of writing and literature with Elena, asks her what she would write. Elena says that she would write “Dear diary, today I convinced myself it was okay to give up. Don't take risks. Stick with the status quo. No drama, now is just not the time. But my reasons aren't reasons, they're excuses. All I'm doing is hiding from the truth, and the truth is...” Elena tells Stefan that she's scared that if she lets herself be happy for even one moment that the world will come crashing down on her and she is not sure if she could survive that. Stefan tells her that he would write: “I met a girl. We talked. It was epic. But then the sun came up and reality set in. Well, this is reality. Right here." Stefan and Elena stare into each other eyes, feeling a deep connection with each other. They lean in for their first kiss with each other, coincidentally during the time the comet had come back to Mystic Falls. The comet could be seen as a symbol for Stefan and Elena being a “starcrossed lovers” romance.
- Stefan and Elena's Love Scene
- In The Turning Point, Stefan and Elena make love for the first time. It was also a pivotal moment in their relationship because Elena had finally confessed her love for Stefan. Stefan and Elena go back to the Salvatore Boarding House, where Elena talks about Stefan leaving again and that what she said about it earlier was harsh. Stefan tells Elena that she had every right to be mad at him about leaving again. Stefan says that it might be hard for Elena to understand, but the reason he's leaving is for her. Stefan leaves the car and Elena runs after him. Elena says that Stefan does not get to make that decision for her, that if he walks away from her, it’s for him because she knows what she wants. Elena tells Stefan that she loves him. Stefan still has his back towards Elena. Elena waits for a moment, tears sparkling in her eyes. Stefan finally turns around with tears in his eyes, and quickly walks over to Elena and kisses her passionately. The two continue to kiss as they make their way into the front room of the Salvatore house. Suddenly, Stefan feels his eyes changing and he stops kissing her. Stefan pulls away and turns around so Elena cannot see his vampire face. Elena tells Stefan to not turn away from her. Stefan tells Elena that he can’t. Elena tells Stefan that he can as she touches his face gently and tells him not to hide from her. Stefan finally turns towards her, revealing his vampire face. Elena touches the veins underneath his eyes, and kisses him. The two then make love. Paul Wesley states that this scene is his favorite in the entire series, especially the moment when Elena touches his face.
- Blood Sharing
- Blood sharing is a very intimate moment for vampires. The first time that Stefan feeds from Elena is in Let The Right One In , after Elena rescues Stefan, he ends up getting seriously wounded when Frederick stabs him with a piece of branch. Although initially reluctant at hurting her, Stefan starts to vamp out and he bites her wrist, drinking her blood for the first time. The second time that Stefan feeds from Elena is in Kill or Be Killed. Stefan is sitting in the library at the Salvatore house, and Elena joins him. She asks him if he believes that he can control himself on human blood. Stefan says he's unsure, but if he doesn’t try to, then he’ll never know. Although, again reluctant, Stefan attempts to control his bloodlust by feeding on her and afterwards they then kiss passionately. This was a very intimate moment between Stefan and Elena. The scene shows how much faith Elena has in Stefan and the deep connection they share for each other. The third time Stefan is seen drinking from Elena is in Plan B, when Elena picks a needle off the table in her room and pricks her finger with it. Elena says that a little bit of blood everyday will help Stefan learn how to control himself. Stefan takes her finger and starts to drink her blood. Stefan promises that they will get through everything. Elena tells Stefan that she loves him. Later in the episode, Elena gives Stefan her blood when he gets stuck in a well filled with vervain. She saves him from the well, and becomes horrified by all the wounds and burns caused by the vervain. Elena uses a rock to cut her hand and she feeds Stefan her blood once more.
- Ferris Wheel Scene
- The Ferris wheel scene, which took place at the carnival in Brave New World, is a popular scene for Stelena and the fans of the relationship. Elena originally wanted to go on the Ferris wheel with Stefan and kiss him at the very top, but they were unable to do so due to supernatural events. At dawn time, Stefan comes by Elena's house and tells her to come with him. They go to the carnival together, and Elena warns Stefan that they could get caught. He tells her that he compelled the guard to go on a break so that they can kiss at the top of the Ferris wheel. Stefan tells Elena that they have to take these small moments to forget about their problems and spend time together. He reminds Elena that he came back to town to know her, and that despite facing Katherine, Damon, and other supernatural circumstances, they have to set aside time and live life. Elena holds Stefan tight as he uses his flying abilities to fly them to the very top of the Ferris wheel. They both sit down on a seat of the Ferris wheel. Elena laughs and smiles, and Stefan tells Elena that it's so nice to see her laugh. They stare into each other's eyes for a while, before leaning in to kiss.
- Mouthing Silent “I Love You’s”
- The first time this is seen is in Isobel, when Stefan goes to the Mystic Grill to support Elena's first meeting with her biological mother Isobel. Elena is sitting alone at a table while Stefan is standing at a pool table. Elena asks Stefan if he can hear her, and he nods. Elena thanks Stefan for coming with her and that she is nervous about meeting Isobel. Stefan smiles at her comfortingly, letting her know that he is there for her. Elena tells Stefan that she is happy that he's here, and says, "I love you" to Stefan. Stefan smiles and silently tells Elena while moving his lips “I love you”. The second time this is seen is in Daddy Issues. Stefan arrives at Caroline’s house to bring some “back up”, meaning Elena and Bonnie. Elena tells Caroline that they are going to sleep over and slumber it. Caroline hugs both Elena and Bonnie. The girls hug, and Elena looks onto Stefan. She silently mouths “I love you”, and he mouths “I love you” back.
- Stefan Saving Elena in Car Accidents
- The first time that Stefan had saved Elena from a car accident was at Wickery Bridge on the day that Elena's parents' car went off the bride on May 23, 2009. This also marked the day when Stefan and Elena first met, unofficially. Stefan had heard the accident and rushed to the scene to see what happened. Stefan attempted to save Grayson, who was still conscious underwater. Grayson begged Stefan to save Elena over him. When Stefan first saw Elena, he was both shocked and confused by the strong physical resemblance between Elena and his former lover, Katherine Pierce. Stefan saves Elena’s life, but sadly, was unable to save her parents in time, resulting in their deaths. It was saving her life that inspired Stefan to want to get to know Elena and who she is before leaving Mystic Falls again.
- The second time that Stefan tries to save Elena from a car accident was in in The Departed. This accident mirrored the first accident that happened over a year ago with Elena, Grayson and Miranda. After realizing Klaus' death would also result in Stefan and Damon's, Elena chose to return to Stefan, although whilst Matt was driving her home over Wickery Bridge, Rebekah, in an attempt at defeating Alaric through Elena's death, suddenly appears and runs the truck off the bridge. Stefan comes to the rescue once again to save both Elena and Matt. Stefan attempts to save Elena first, but Elena begs Stefan to save Matt before her. Stefan, out of love and respect for Elena’s wishes, saves Matt before Elena. Unfortunately, Elena ends up dying from drowning, with vampire blood in her system. Arguably, this is when things took a very tragic turn for Stefan and Elena’s relationship. The first time that Stefan had saved Elena was the beginning of their love story and the second time he saved her turned out to be the "bump in the road" of their love story.
- Serendipitously Bumping Into Each Other Outside of Restrooms
- The first time that Stefan and Elena officially encounter each other is outside the men’s restroom at Mystic Falls High School in Pilot. Elena goes into the men's restroom when she sees her brother, Jeremy taking drugs. She gives him a lecture, and leaves the restroom and unexpectedly bumps into Stefan. When Stefan and Elena first bump into each other, the two are instantly drawn to each other, showcasing the strong and profound connection between the two of them. Stefan asks Elena if this was the men’s room that she had just come out of. Elena stumbles and has a hard time explaining why she came out of the men’s room. Stefan and Elena end up doing a little “dance” with each other when Stefan and Elena try to get past each other. This occurs when Stefan goes left, Elena goes in the same direction as him and vice versa. This little dance between the two of them happens to be one of their signatures or trademarks when bumping into each other. The second time that Stefan and Elena bump into each other outside of a restroom is in Smells Like Teen Spirit. Stefan has his humanity off and is assigned by Klaus to look after and protect Elena. Elena comes out of the men’s room after having a discussion with Tyler and Caroline. Unlike the first time when they bumped into each other outside of the men's room, Stefan and Elena’s interactions were shown to be cold and distant in nature, due to a no humanity Stefan. The third time that Stefan and Elena bump into each other outside of the men's room is in For Whom the Bell Tolls. Elena tries to get an amnesia Stefan to remember his very first encounter with her. Like the first time, Stefan and Elena also engage in their signature “dance” with each other.
- The Cell Scene
- This moment happens in Growing Pains. Elena is struggling with her transition as a vampire. On top of this, Stefan, Elena and Rebekah are captured and imprisoned in different cells. Elena becomes so weak because she yet has to feed on human blood to complete her transition as a vampire. Stefan and Elena's cells are next to each other, but they are separated by a wall and cannot see each other. As Stefan pulls out the wooden bullets from his body, he asks a very weak Elena if she is still with him. Elena weakly responds by saying that she is still alive and that she is okay. Stefan apologizes to Elena for not letting her feed earlier on human blood. She tells Stefan that he does not need to apologize because he had hope that they would find a way out this. Stefan tells Elena that he loves her so much. She tells Stefan the reason she was on the bridge in the first place was because she was coming back for him. Elena says that she had to choose between him and Damon, and she picked him because she loves him. Elena continues by telling Stefan that no matter what happens, it was the best choice she has ever made. She further states that it sucks that she cannot see him. Stefan is seen crying on the other side of the cell and tells Elena that he is smiling. Elena says that she is smiling too. In this scene, Rebekah is looking on while Stefan and Elena declare their love to each other. This is meaningful, because Rebekah suddenly has a change of heart after seeing Stefan and Elena declare their love for each other. She helps Stefan kill the guard to help save Elena's life. Some fans feel that this scene was the real, pure human Elena who chose Stefan before fully becoming a vampire.
- Fighting/Resisting/Breaking Compulsion
- Stefan and Elena are known to have either resisted or broken compulsion for each other. The first time that Stefan broke his compulsion for Elena is in The Reckoning. Stefan was compelled by the Original vampire, Klaus, to feed on Elena once the the timer on the gym clock went off. Elena tells him that when the buzzer goes off for him to just drink from her. Stefan tells Elena that he won't be able to stop himself because he is a ripper and ripper’s don’t know how to stop or control themselves around human blood. Elena tells Stefan that she doesn't believe that, and that he has the capability of fighting compulsion, that he just has to want it bad enough. Elena tells Stefan that it is because he loves her that he will fight because after everything that they have been through, he owes her that. Stefan agrees, and says that she is right and that through all of the pain and torture, she has been his one motivation for not turning off his humanity and giving up. But at the same time, Stefan cannot help who and what he is and if Elena lets Stefan get anywhere near her blood, she will end up dead. As time ticks down, Stefan tells Elena to run and that if she stays, it won’t matter. Elena tells Stefan that there is another way and that is for him to fight the compulsion. Suddenly, the buzzer makes a sound and Stefan struggles to not feed from Elena. Elena tells Stefan that she loves him and won't give up on him. Stefan tells Elena that he can’t hold it any longer. He starts to vamp out as he rushes over to Elena, but runs into the wall instead. He yells at Elena to run and to go. Elena runs through the school, while Stefan tries stop himself from running after Elena by holding onto everything that he can so that he doesn’t hurt Elena. However, Elena ends up running into Klaus, and brings her to the cafeteria where Stefan is. Klaus tells Stefan that he is fascinated; the only thing stronger than Stefan’s craving for human blood is his love for Elena. This shows that despite Klaus's powerful compulsion, Stefan was able to fight and resist his compulsion because of his strong love for Elena.
- The second time that breaking compulsion is seen is in True Lies. Elena is compelled by Silas, the most powerful supernatural being on earth, to kill Damon at any costs. Damon tells Elena that she has to try to resist Silas's compulsion. Elena yells at Damon and starts to get emotional, by saying that Stefan's been suffering for months while she had been rolling around with him, a self proclaimed serial killer, in bed. Elena’s anger starts to flare up even more intensely than before to the point where she pulls the gas line free from the fireplace. Damon tells Elena that she is going to have to think of something significantly stronger than her strong urge and desire to kill him at all costs or she will end up killing the both of them. Damon then tells Elena to think about Stefan. He tells her to describe her feelings to him. Elena hesitates at first, but starts to calm down as she tells Damon that it’s like a chill she feeling she can't explain. She starts to visualize Stefan in her head suffering underwater and drowning repeatedly. She describes it like she can feel Stefan, and that he's trying to reach out to her but that she doesn’t know where he is or what he's trying to tell her. Elena feels his loneliness and fear, and that he is in a lot of pain. Elena cries as she tells Damon that they have to find him. Damon swears to Elena that they will find him. Elena, completely calm, tells Damon that the rage is gone, emphasizing that by thinking of Stefan, she broke Silas's mind control and compulsion. This shows that despite Elena's relationship with Damon, she still has a very strong connection with Stefan, and quite likely some unresolved feelings for him.
- Memorable Dances
- The first memorable dance between Stefan and Elena was in Dangerous Liaisons. Stefan had just turned on his humanity, and Esther had invited Elena to the ball so that she could meet and talk with her. Stefan and Damon decided to attend the Mikaelson ball with Elena for her own protection. Stefan and Elena share a dance after Elena dances with Damon. When Stefan catches Elena, there is a very strong and tangible chemistry between the two. This shows that despite Stefan and Elena being distantly emotional from each other all season, there were still strong and undeniable feelings between the two. Elena teases Stefan about how he dances, knowing Stefan is not much for dancing. The song that was played during this dance is “Give Me Love” by Ed Sheeran. The lyrics of this song (i.e. “It’s been a while but I still feel the same”) highlights the fact that Stefan and Elena still have strong and undeniable feelings for each other, despite everything that they had gone through.
- The second significant dance between Stefan and Elena was in Do Not Go Gentle. Elena asks Stefan to go to the 20's Decade Dance with her, at the request of Caroline. They dance for a while at the dance, and then slow dance together, before Damon interrupts them and tells them about Alaric's situation. After realizing Alaric is gone, she goes to his room to unpack his things before the janitor cleans out his stuff to discover that he's a vampire hunter. Stefan tells Elena that she can do this later, but she says she can't. She begins to sob while stating that now her and Jeremy don't have anyone to take care of them anymore, and that they just lost another friend. Stefan then tells Elena to come with him. She hesitates, but when Stefan insists, she takes his hand and follows him into the school gym. He tells Elena how he was commanded to turn his humanity off in the gym. He tells her about how he never wanted to feel anything again after he bit her. He smiles and says that someone told him that it was okay to feel, and that emotions are what makes vampires humans, good or bad, and to not lose hope. Elena smiles and asks him who gave him that horrible advice. Stefan smiles and says, "Just some girl I used to date" (quoting Elena from earlier in the episode). Elena starts sobbing and states that she doesn't have anyone anymore. Stefan touches her cheeks, and states, You have me". Elena hugs him, crying on his shoulder. This scene is a popular scene between Stefan and Elena, since Stefan comforts Elena and gives her hope, just like she tried giving him hope throughout the season.
- The third significant dance between Stefan and Elena is in Pictures of You, which happened to also be senior prom. Stefan and Damon attend prom together with a humanity less Elena. They construed a plan to try to get Elena to turn her humanity on. Stefan decides to dance with Elena to get her to feel something again. While dancing, Stefan asks Elena if she really feels nothing, and she assures him that she doesn't feel anything. He tells Elena that he does not believe her. Stefan tries to get Elena to remember what it felt like when they used to dance together, when his hand would always touch her waist. Stefan rests his hand on her waist but Elena’s expression doesn't change. Stefan entwines his fingers with Elena's and reminds her about how their fingers used to touch while they danced. Elena’s facial expression starts to change as Stefan continues dancing with him. Stefan then dips Elena and holds her there for a moment and asks her if her heart really refuses to remember what they shared. They pull back and she whispers to Stefan, “What heart?” The song playing while Stefan and Elena danced was “Stay” by Rihanna. The lyrics matched Stefan and Elena’s situation at the time: “Not really sure how I feel about it, something in the way you move. Makes me feel like I can’t live with you and it takes me all the way. I want you to stay.” This is significant because at the time, Elena had no humanity, yet while Stefan danced with her, we could see glimpses of Elena’s humanity seeping through, even though it was brief, meaning that she did feel something while she was dancing with Stefan, although she did not want to admit it.
- Elena Takes Stefan Down Memory Lane
- These series of events between Stefan and Elena happen in For Whom the Bell Tolls. Stefan lost his memories and began suffering amnesia after Qetsiyah conducts a spell on Stefan. Elena and Damon therefore attempt to help him to see if they can trigger his memories by taking him down memory lane. Stefan, Damon and Elena all go to the Mystic Falls cemetery. There, Stefan and Elena talk about their family history. Elena tells Stefan that she has lost so many people in her life. Stefan is confused on how he doesn’t remember her because she is smart, pretty, funny and that she is obviously the strongest woman in the world if she managed to overcome all of the problems and adversities that she faced in her life. Elena says that she surrounded herself with amazing and supportive people who helped her through the hard times. She says that Stefan was one of those people. Stefan jokes by saying that he and Elena are bonded by death and says that he hopes that they did not meet in a cemetery. Elena tells Stefan that they did not meet in a cemetery originally, but they had met somewhere else first. She asks him if he wants to see where they first met. Elena and Stefan go back to the high school together. Stefan walks the hall while Elena comes out of the men’s room, and collides into Stefan, mirroring the first time they had met. Elena did this to try to trigger his memories. They share a deep moment with each other while Elena touches him. Stefan tells Elena that he appreciates her trying to help him gain his memories back, but he doesn't think recreating the time in which they first met would help to bring it all back magically. Elena tells Stefan that it is so strange for her to see Stefan without his memories, because to Stefan, memories are too important. After taking Stefan back to the high school, they go to the woods, and the song, “Gravity”, is being played in the background. Stefan questions on how it was possible to get into two accidents at the same place (Wickery Bridge). Elena says that fate could have something to do with it. He then asks her if he was there both times, why didn’t he save her both times. She tells Stefan that the second time, he chose to save her best friend, Matt, before her. Stefan says that he must have been an idiot, but Elena insists that Stefan was the perfect boyfriend because he always respected her choices and valued what she wanted even if it wasn’t what he agreed with. They walk towards the bridge, and Stefan tells Elena that being around her ceases his urges to feed on blood and that he is not as hungry around her. He further says that whatever monster he was capable of being, he could understand why he was different around her. Elena tells Stefan that he was a never a monster, but Stefan disagrees by saying that he saw his reflection in the mirror and that he was scared of himself. Elena says that Stefan never scared her. She tells him about the first time when she saw him for what he was, she touched his face and told him not to hide from her. Elena gently touches both sides of his face. She starts to remove her hands from his face, but Stefan stops her by grabbing her wrist. Stefan places her hand back on his face. He caresses her face and looks deeply into her eyes. They lean in to kiss... but Elena stops herself, by telling him that she is with Damon. Stefan looks a little confused and saddened by Elena’s confession, surprised that Elena is with his brother. Stefan is upset because he felt that he should have been told that Elena was dating his own brother. Elena apologizes, and Stefan tells Elena that his hunger has returned. The trip down memory lane may have not brought back Stefan’s memories, but it's quite clear that Stefan still has strong feelings for Elena, despite his memory loss.
- Elena's Vervain Necklace
- Stefan gave Elena this necklace in Friday Night Bites. He gave her this necklace to prevent him from getting the urge to ever compell her, and to protect her from the charming, Damon. During the first three seasons, this necklace has symbolized the strength of their love. When Stefan went missing during Season Three, the necklace gave Elena hope that she will one day be united with Stefan again. In Ghost World, Bonnie and her Grams had done spell to try to burn the necklace but it turns out that the necklace was indestructible, implying that Stefan and Elena's love and bond was unbreakable.
- The Comet
- The comet seems to be a significant symbol for Stefan and Elena's relationship, as it was during the night of the comet's arrival that the two had shared their first kiss together and confessed how they felt about each other. The arrival of this comet officially started their epic romance. In the The Night of the Comet, Stefan and Elena met up at the candlelight celebration. Together, they stargazed and viewed the comet together, and Stefan opens up a bit about his past with Damon. Stefan tells Elena that the comet has been traveling across space for thousands of years. Elena comments that Bonnie told her that the comet was a harbinger of evil. Stefan tells her that the comet is just a ball of snow and ice, trapped on a path that it cannot escape, and once every 145 years, it gets to come home. Going by that interpretation, many people see Stefan as the comet, since he recently came back to Mystic Falls after being away for many years. Stefan could also be referring to the fact that he had returned home to be with Elena, referencing her as "his home". At the end of the episode, Elena goes to the Salvatore mansion to see Stefan. Elena tells Stefan that she wants to view the comet with him outside. It is then when they confess their feelings for each other and when they kiss for the very first time, sparking the beginning of their epic romance and embarking on a romantic journey together.
- Forehead Kisses
- Soft moments like forehead kisses have played a big part in Elena and Stefan's relationship. These delicate gestures are what keeps their relationship so heartwarming. These small moments help to eliminate the heavy tensions portrayed in certain scenes.In The Turning Point, Elena is lying with Stefan in bed, and starts to talk to him about his previous memories. Stefan softens the scene by kissing Elena on the forehead as they continue their conversation. In Children of the Damned, Stefan feels that Damon's behavior is his fault. Elena assures Stefan that everything that happened between him and Damon in 1864 wasn't his fault. Stefan then tells Elena that he'll get her an aspirin for her headache and kisses her on the forehead before leaving. In The House Guest, Elena is struggling with the Katherine-Klaus situation. Stefan tells Elena he can come over later, but she says that her, Caroline, and Bonnie are having a "girl's night out". Joking, Elena states that Katherine can join them and Stefan laughs and lightly kisses her forehead as they head to school. When Elena attacks Meredith, after learning of Jeremy's death in Stand By Me, Stefan softly kisses her on the head as he attempts to comfort her.
- Elena and Stefan have this special thing with rings. Their first notable ring scene was introduced in Blood Brothers, when Elena puts Stefan's daylight ring in his hand and encourages him to fight his blood lust. After Elena's transition into a vampire, Stefan shows Elena the daylight ring that Bonnie made her. He slides it onto her ring finger. Elena tells him that she'll be with him forever and that they're going to get through everything. This shows how much faith she had in their relationship. They kiss and snuggle together on top of the roof, looking into the sky. In Original Sin, Elena and Damon find Stefan, and they lay him on the couch at the Salvatore Boarding house. Elena sits next to him and holds his hand while sliding his daylight ring onto his finger. In Resident Evil, during Elena and Stefan's hallucinations, Elena sees a vision of her human-self coming into her kitchen and opening a drawer. Inside the drawer is a ring box, and Elena automatically says "Yes." She holds onto the ring box while passionately kissing Stefan in the kitchen. In Black Hole Sun, Elena gives Stefan her daylight ring. Stefan kneels down and "proposes" to Elena with her daylight ring. After Elena says "Yes", he slides the ring onto her finger and they hug.
- The Word “Epic”
- The word epic has often been used to describe Stelena's relationship. This word is often used by other characters in the show to describe the love between them. The first time that "epic" is used was by Stefan in The Night of the Comet. When Elena goes over to the Salvatore mansion to talk to Stefan about her feelings and what she would write in her diary, Stefan mirror what Elena said and says, “I met a girl, we talked, it was epic. Well this is reality, right here.” The second time the word "epic" is used is in As I Lay Dying, when Elena sees Stefan and tells him “Look who couldn’t resist an epic romance”. The next time the word "epic" is used was in Do Not Go Gentle. Caroline tries to convince Elena to go to the 1920's Decade Dance with Stefan. She tells Elena that Stefan is “her epic love” and that she is not going down without a fight. Caroline also used the word "epic" in My Brother’s Keeper to tell Stefan that him and Elena are “epic” together. Caroline was always a major Stelena shipper and has often referred to their relationship as epic. Rebekah also referred to Elena as being Stefan’s epic love in After School Special, knowing that Stefan and Elena share a very strong love for each other, since she witnessed it herself. Lexi also refers to Elena as being an epic love for Stefan and that she will always be an epic love for him. The runners of the show, Julie Plec and Kevin Williamson, have frequently used the word "epic" to describe Stefan and Elena’s romance. Nina Dobrev also states that she believed that Stefan and Elena had an epic love.
- Stelena Hugs
- Throughout the show, Elena and Stefan have meaningful and powerful hugs that makes their relationship epic. Whether in a romantic relationship or not, they always find comfort in each other's embrace when it comes to reuniting again or from saving each other from danger. Some of their most memorable hugs include:
- Their hug in Bloodlines, when Stefan tells Elena that she's the woman he loves, establishing their relationship.
- Their hug in Unpleasantville, when Elena runs into Stefan's arm after being attacked by Noah.
- Their hug in Children of the Damned, when Elena was almost killed by Damon.
- Their hug in Under Control, when Elena tells Stefan that she loves him and isn't afraid of him.
- Their reunion-hug in By The Light Of The Moon, when Stefan reunites with Elena, after being trapped in a tomb with Katherine.
- Their hug in Isobel, when Stefan comforts Elena after a conversation with Isobel.
- Their reunion-hug in By The Light Of The Moon, when Stefan reunites with Elena, after being trapped in a tomb with Katherine.
- Their hug in Rose, when Elena embraces Stefan after being captured by Elijah.
- Their hug in Daddy Issues, when Stefan comforts Elena after a conversation with John Gilbert.
- Their hug in Crying Wolf, when Stefan whispers to Elena that he loves her.
- Their hug in As I Lay Dying, when Elena comforts Stefan about Damon's condition.
- Their hug in Do Not Go Gentle, after Elena informs Stefan that she has no one, to which Stefan replies, "you have me".
- Their hug in Growing Pains, when Elena is dealing with her struggling transition.
- Their hug in Memorial, when Elena tries to fight her bloodthirst.
- Their hug in Handle with Care, when Elena discovers that Stefan's memories have returned.
- Their hug in Man on Fire, when Stefan goes to Elena's dorm to see if she's okay.
- Their hug in Welcome to Paradise, when Elena sees Stefan for the first time in four months.
- Throughout the show, Elena and Stefan have meaningful and powerful hugs that makes their relationship epic. Whether in a romantic relationship or not, they always find comfort in each other's embrace when it comes to reuniting again or from saving each other from danger. Some of their most memorable hugs include:
- The Diaries
- The Diaries' represents the similarity between Elena and Stefan and eventually plays an important role in their relationship. When Elena discovers that Stefan keeps a diary, she becomes amazed by the writing hobby they share. This also helps Elena to become more drawn to Stefan. After reading Stefan's diary, Elena becomes more aware of his past life, establishing a strong understanding between her and Stefan. In Season 3, Elena is able to use Stefan's diary to help her find a way to get Stefan's humanity back. Throughout the show, Elena and Stefan both write about their true feelings and the situations they are dealing with in their diaries. In the books, the Diaries' are also an important part of their relationship.
- Stelena Phone Calls
- Throughout the show, Elena and Stefan have had meaningful phone conversations which draws many viewers to their relationship. Their most iconic phone conversation was in The Birthday, when Stefan called Elena and she declared, "I love you Stefan. Hold on to that. Never let that go." The strong emotions and tensions between the two characters are expressed on their faces during this magnificent scene. When asked about this phone call, Julie Plec stated:
- "Kevin, in his infinite brilliance, just said, 'No, she should get home. It's the end of the night. We think that all hope is lost. And then the phone should ring. And she should almost miss the call. And then when she picks up, he's there, but he doesn't say anything because he just needs to hear her voice, because it's the one thing keeping him from completely falling apart.' And I started to cry. I think that our most successful emotional moments of the show, they're all very human, real moments. It's a guy who just needs to hear the voice of his touchstone, of the love of his life, to let him have a better day." 
- Other notable phone calls between Elena and Stefan include: There Goes the Neighborhood, Founder's Day, Crying Wolf, Fade Into You, and The Downward Spiral. Elena has also confessed her love for Stefan when she called Damon in The Departed, claiming, "No matter what I feel for you, I never unfell for him." Elena and Stefan's phone conversations have also kept the two characters maintaining a strong, bonding relationship with each other.
- Motorcycle Scenes
- Shortly after Elena's transition into a vampire, Stefan takes her on a ride on his motorcycle to show her the fun parts in being a vampire. As Stefan drives the motorcycle, Elena sits behind him and later on stands up while slowly spreading her arms out. She enjoys the free feeling and her and Stefan smile while they ride together. As Stefan prepares to go back to Savannah, Elena stops him and takes his keys away. Elena tells Stefan that she wants him to show her how to live life with a new identity. Stefan agrees and Elena hands Stefan his keys and hops on his motorcycle as they prepare to leave together. It should also be noted that Elena and Stefan are the only two main characters on the show to ride on a motorcycle. Also, whenever Stefan rides his motorcycle, Elena is always with him.
- Start Up: The Night of the Comet (1x02)
- Break Up: Lost Girls (1x06)
- Reason: Elena finds out that Stefan is a vampire.
- Start Up: The Turning Point (1x10)
- Break Up: Plan B (2x06)
- Reason: Katherine wanted Elena and Stefan to break up and to prove it she attacks Jenna. So for the sake of anyone she loves getting be killed, Elena does what Katherine wants, and tearfully breaks up with Stefan, despite how much she doesn't want to.
- Start Up: Rose (2x08)
- Break Up: The End of the Affair (3x03)
- Reason: Elena and Damon go in Chicago to save Stefan. But by the time she was there to save Stefan, Stefan rejects Elena and said that he doesn't want be saved; he lies and says he doesn't want her anymore.
- Start Up: Growing Pains (4x01)
- Break Up: We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes (4x06)
- Reason: Elena admitted to Stefan that since she became a vampire, her feelings for Damon had intensified and that she wasn't the same girl that chose him on the Wickery Bridge. Stefan consequently broke up with Elena.