|“||You date vampires, Elena. It shouldn’t come as a shock to learn that your guardian is a murderer.||”|
After the incident between Tony and Jeremy, Alaric dies to prevent Jeremy from dying. Alaric returned to life, but his injuries do not heal, causing him to be taken to hospital, where Damon gives his blood and heals him. Dr. Meredith Fell appears, who is astonished at how miraculously Alaric's injuries healed and suspicious of anything supernatural. One night, Alaric confesses his secret to Meredith, who begins to investigate the ring resurrection and its consequences. Elena gets home, finding Alaric and Meredith, which leaves Alaric feeling guilty, but Elena gives them her blessing, as Jenna is gone and she would have wanted everyone to move on and be happy.. However, a number of murders occur after the introduction of Meredith to the show. Damon suspects Meredith of committing the murders, but Elena defends Meredith, saying that she refuses to believe that Alaric's track record with women is "that tragic."
Eventually, Meredith turns him into the police, saying that he assaulted her, and she believed Alaric to be the serial killer. Elena tries to explain to Meredith otherwise but eventually Elena finds out that Meredith was right, that Alaric's dark alter-ego was hunting vampires and vampire-sympathizers, and asked Meredith to help him. Meredith confesses to Elena that she does not care to be involved in supernatural problems, but that she would do everything possible to save her patients, which is why she wants to help Alaric. Unfortunately, Alaric wakes as his alter-ego while under her care, and attempts to kill Meredith, who he believes is a sympathizer for using vampire blood to heal her patients. Thankfully, Elena and Stefan find her in time to feed her Stefan's blood, and Meredith eventually recovers from her injuries.
Elena Marie Gilbert and Meredith Rosario Sulez are best friends, their relationship may even be more like sisters than friends. Elena describes Meredith as a strong person, able to help overcome all their problems. Meredith was the second person who knew about the transformation of Elena. She remained calm and did everything possible to protect Elena and her family from the threat of Katherine and Klaus.
- Meredith: "I’m due in surgery, whatever case you’re gonna make against Alaric, make it quick."
- Elena: "I don’t have to make a case, he didn’t do anything."
- Meredith: "How do you know? Sure you live with him, he takes care of you, but do you really know anything about him?"
- Elena: "I know enough."
- Meredith: "Let me tell you what I know. He was arrested for fighting four times before the age of 21. When he was at Duke, his future wife, Isobel, filed a restraining order against him- Twice. Although, then she married him, so I guess that says more about her."
- Elena: "Okay, you’re making all of this up."
- Meredith" "Am I? How would you know? You took pity on a borderline alcoholic vampire hunter and you never even thought to look any deeper."
- Elena: "How could you do this to him? He didn’t kill anyone and you know it."
- Meredith: "You date vampires, Elena. It shouldn’t come as a shock to learn that your guardian is a murderer."
- (Meredith walks away.)
- In the books, Elena and Meredith met since childhood and have been best friends ever since.
- In the series there is an age difference between them as Meredith's in her 20s, while Elena was 18 when they first met in Season 3.
- Initially in the series, Meredith would be one of the main characters but she was removed because there were too many characters and it became confusing.
- She eventually came into the series in the third season The New Deal.
- Meredith was the one who supplied Elena with Damon's blood in Before Sunset resulting the Elena turning into a vampire in Growing Pains after her death in The Departed.