|“||Each one of you truly believes that you can protect her which is simply a delusion, gentlemen. The worst thing for Elena Gilbert is the two of you.||”|
The relationship between Elena Gilbert and Niklaus Mikaelson. Klaus returned to town for the soul purpose of killing Elena in the sacrifice, which he eventually achieved. After discovering that she had returned to life, Klaus tried to kill her, but realised that she was the key to making hybrids so kept her alive for her blood and devoted himself to protecting her so that he could have an army.
They are known as "Klena" by fans.
Klaus, using Alaric's body, first met Elena at the decade dance. He pretended to be Alaric and lead Elena and Bonnie into a trap by saying Klaus had Jeremy. Elena realises that Alaric is, in fact, Klaus. Klaus tells Elena that he doesn't want to kill her that night, he just wants to kill Bonnie. Elena witnesses Klaus making Bonnie use too much of her powers so that she dies, however she returns to life.
After a day with Stefan, Elena was collected by Klaus, who had returned to his own body. Elena tells Stefan to close his eyes and leaves with Klaus before he opens them. Elena witnesses Klaus kill Jules and Jenna, despite her pleas that he spare Jenna. He tries to make her choose between Jenna's life or Stefan's, but decides for her and kills Jenna. Klaus then offers Elena his hand but she ignores it. He thanks her, making her look him in the eye, but she tells him to go to hell. Klaus then drains Elena of her blood, killing her, though she returns to life.
After realising that his plan to create hybrids has gone wrong, Klaus suspects that Elena may be alive. After discovering that Elena returned to life, Klaus arrives at the school in search of her. He uses compulsion to make Stefan bite her, and then feeds her blood to Tyler before killing him. Klaus then planned to take Elena with him when he left however Damon and Katherine got him to leave without Elena, instead leaving Stefan to protect her.Klaus later meets Elena at the Grill with Damon. Klaus makes an agreement with Damon and Stefan to save Elena from Alaric. When Alaric's about to kill Klaus, Elena begs him to stop and threatens to kill herself, revealing that the key to kill Alaric is to kill her as their lives are linked. Klaus overpowers Alaric and flees with Elena. When Elena wakes up in chains, Klaus is by her, and explains that he's draining her of her blood so that he can create an army and still kill Alaric. He questions her on if she would choose Stefan or Damon, but she tells him to go to hell. Tyler gets help and they subdue Klaus.
Elena, now a vampire, has lost Klaus' interest. He disowns Rebekah as his sister for killing Elena. Elena and Rebekah both become ill when they drink werewolf venom and after discovering Connor's identity, Klaus realises that he still needs Elena alive so cures her with his blood. Klaus later becomes allies with Stefan when he admits there may be a way for Elena to become human again.
- Klaus: I just had to get away from that dance. The sixties, ugh... not my decade. [He laughs] I mean, whose call was that, anyway? I much prefer the twenties. The style, the parties, the jazz...
- Elena: Alaric. Are you on vervain?
- Klaus: Now why would you ask me that question, Elena?
- Elena: He's been compelled.
- Klaus: Nope. Try again.
- Elena: What's going on?
- Klaus: Okay, I'll give you a hint. I am not Alaric.
- Elena: Klaus.
- Klaus: Surprise!
- Elena: Oh, no. No, it's not possible.
- Klaus: Just relax, Elena. I'm not here to hurt you. You're not on my hit list tonight. [Looks at Bonnie] But you are.
- -- The Last Dance.
- Klaus: There's my girl.
- Elena: Klaus.
- Klaus: You are supposed to be dead. What are we gonna do about that?
- -- The Reckoning.
- Elena: That sounds like a Klaus and Stefan problem.
- Klaus: Ha. Well, this is me broadening the scopes, sweetheart.
- -- The New Deal.
- Elena: She'll come after me.
- Klaus: I can control Rebekah.
- Elena: Just so you know... I'm not the only one Rebekah wants dead. She knows what you did to your mother. She knows that you killed her.
- -- The New Deal.
- Klaus: I apologize for the lack of windows, its to preserve the art and of course to prevent you from taking of your daylight ring and burning yourself to death in the sun.
- Elena: I'm not gonna kill myself, I'd never do that.
- Klaus: Oh, but you'll want to, I did, the problem is, I'm immortal...
- Elena: You went though this?
- Klaus: Yes I did, for fifty-two years, four months and nine days...
- -- We All Go A Little Mad Sometimes.