|Elena and Damon|
Delena, DE, Dex
Elena saw Damon as her Soulmate, They wanted a future together, Love each other, Passionate feelings, Made love, Dated, Protective of each other, Can't live without each other.
May 23, 2009 (before Pilot)
Best Friends, Lovers, Dated, Elena lost her memories of loving him.
|“||You erased him. You had Alaric compel you to forget every good thing that Damon ever did. You made him a monster in your own mind because you couldn’t handle the grief of losing him. You were in love with him and he was in love with you. And when Damon died, a part of you died too. Eventually, I saw it. Damon inspired you. He pushed you to own the darkest parts of yourself. And when you died, he was the only one that could make you feel alive again and you made him feel human. You loved Damon for the same reasons that I love Damon. Because in spite of every single thing that he did, we couldn’t live without him.||”|
Damon came back to Mystic Falls with the sole purpose of bringing back Katherine Pierce, the vampire with whom he had fallen in love as a human in 1864. However, after realizing that Katherine had secretly escaped the tomb but hadn't cared enough about him to find him, he resented her. He begins to fall for his younger brother Stefan's girlfriend, also Katherine's doppelgänger, Elena. His love for Elena makes him want to protect his birthtown instead of destroying it, as was his original purpose when he arrived. They form a rocky friendship.
Elena constantly forgives Damon from doing horrible things to her, such as killing her younger brother Jeremy (although he came back to life) or feeding her vampire blood (essentially ending her human life). Elena has admitted she sees the good in Damon and believes he's worth saving. Elena begins to reciprocate Damon's feelings for her, though continues to love Stefan.
Their friendship deepens, leading to them becoming best friends. Elena cares whether Damon lives or dies, and even when she chooses Stefan over him, Damon continues to still be there for her when she needs somebody and feels she can't turn to Stefan about it. Damon has never lied to her and would always tell her the truth, although has admitted that he will lie to her if it saves her life.
After becoming a vampire, Elena breaks up with Stefan as her feelings for Damon had become too strong for her to ignore. Elena and Damon sleep together after she admits to her feelings. It's discovered that because Elena had feelings for Damon when she was human and it was his blood which turned her, a sire bond has been created between them. Damon begins to doubt her feelings for him and believes they are solely built on the sire bond. After being compelled by Rebekah to tell the truth, Elena reveals that she is no longer in love with Stefan and is instead in love with Damon. She later confesses this to him, stating that it's the most real thing she's ever felt. After Jeremy dies, Damon uses the sire bond to get Elena to turn her emotions off, knowing that the pain would be too much for her. She loses all feelings she has for him as a result, but continues a relationship with him solely for manipulation, later telling him her feelings were all due to the sire bond. Damon's willing to do anything to get her emotions back, including torturing her and killing Matt (although he was brought back to life), which eventually proved successful.
Elena later chooses between Damon and Stefan for the second time, this time choosing Damon, since she had fallen out of love with Stefan. She confirms her love for Damon during a heartfelt confession from them both, and they kiss. Damon's later proud as he says to Alaric, "I got the girl."
Their relationship lasts the whole summer and briefly becomes long distance when she begins attending college. After realizing how he's changing her, he decides to break up with her, causing her great heartbreak. Stefan makes Damon realize how he was stupid and he decides to try and win her back. However, when he finally tells her, he's unaware that Katherine has taken over Elena's body when she rejects him. This sends him off the deep end and he becomes guilty when he finds out the truth. After he tells her the truth, they mutually decide to end their relationship as they realize they have too much control over each other. However they end up sleeping together. But after that, Elena tells Damon that he has to let her go until they can figure things out.
As Markos, the Travelers' leader finally makes his appearance, Elena and Stefan begin to have visions of a life that they would never have. Damon is hurt by this but Elena lets him know that the universe doesn't control anything and that her and Damon are real, not those visions. She tries to be friends with him but he refuses and they try to avoid one another which turns out to be impossible. After getting kidnapped by Markos, nearly dying and with a little encouragement from Stefan she tells Damon that she thought she would never see him again and couldn't think of a worse way to die and so they both rekindle their relationship. In the finale of Season Five, in order to bring Stefan back from the Other Side, Damon and Elena go on a suicide mission. However, when the resurrection spell starts, Damon is unable to come back from the Other Side. Knowing that the Other Side is disintegrating and there is no other way for Damon to return, Elena breaks down completely. A ghost Damon confesses to her that she is the greatest thing that ever happened to him and the fact that he will die knowing he was loved by Elena Gilbert is the epitome of a fulfilled life. Damon says I love you and leaves while Elena continues to cry and pleas with him to return to her.
Months after Damon's death, Elena desperately mourns him. During that time, Elena had been using a witch drug that allowed her to hallucinate Damon as she does not want to believe that he's dead. Unable to go on with the memory of Damon, Elena has Alaric erase every good memory she has of him and doesn't remember loving him until she finally learns the truth from Stefan.
They are known as "Delena" by fans.
- "You want a love that consumes you. You want passion and adventure, and even a little danger...I want you to get everything you're looking for."
- —Damon to Elena
Damon first met Elena the night her parents died. She met Damon in the middle of the road, and at first, he mistook her for Katherine. They started talking and even flirted a little. He told her that she wanted a love that consumed her, a love that was passionate, and a love that was a little dangerous. And then he told her that he wanted her to have everything she wanted. After their moonlit conversation, Elena's parents had arrived and Damon compelled her to forget it ever happened. They were later reunited in The Night of the Comet, but she didn't remember him. This also explains the reason how Damon knew who Elena was when they met in the Salvatore Boarding House. Elena admitted in The Departed, that if she had met Damon first, she would have been with him instead. This memory resurfaces after Elena has transitioned into a vampire in Growing Pains.
Throughout the Vampire Diaries Series
As Elena is leaving for college, Damon promises her that he will take care of Jeremy and that Whitmore is only a few hours away and so she doesn't need to worry.She shares a passionate goodbye kiss with Damon, and before making her final exit, she opens the door again to give Damon another quick kiss.
Later, Elena calls Damon to tell him about an unexpected human roommate who has just arrived. Damon agreed with what Caroline had said earlier: compel her ass out the door, but Elena doesn't want to just make Whitmore the new Mystic Falls. Damon ends the discussion abruptly because he finds Katherine waiting for him in his living room.Damon and Elena checked in with each other later over the phone, and he tells her nothing about Jeremy's car accident, expulsion, Silas, Katherine, or anything else that had happened that day.When Jeremy comments about him lying, Damon replies that he doesn't want Elena to come running back to Mystic Falls and that he will figure all this house because he wants her to be happy and enjoy her college life.
In True Lies, Elena called Damon to tell him about the humiliation from Professor Wes Maxfield's class and Damon asked her if she'd pressed him for information. "At least tell me you used torture," he said, reminding her that she's dating a reformed serial killer.Elena said "Stefan?" because she thought she saw him. "Probably mope at him," Damon cracked. Before Damon could explain it wasn't Stefan, Silas told Elena to turn off her phone and she did. Damon is desperate to find Elena at the bonfire to tell her that Stefan is really Silas, and she’s busy drinking, trying to drown her sorrows over her Damon and Jeremy problem. Damon finally finds Elena, and when she gets him alone, she feeds him vervain, and readies to kill him, with Silas’ compulsion. Of course, Damon gets out of it, and snaps Elena out of Silas’ trance, by telling her to think about her worries of Stefan.
Later, Damon showed her that he'd snagged Stefan's daylight ring back from Silas the day before. And then Damon said he's secure enough in their relationship that her having psychic dreams about her ex-boyfriend doesn't bother him, but it still sucks. They kissed, and Elena told Damon they were going to save Stefan and she would still love him. Then they passionately kissed. This shows how much they really are in love when they're embracing while having a disagreement.
In Original Sin, Elena wakes up in bed next to Damon telling him that she had a bad dream about Stefan. Damon is annoyed but eventually asks her to tell him about it. Elena tells him how she saw Stefan burning in sun in front of a bar but doesn't know where, then Katherine makes her presence telling the name of the bar and saying she had the exact same dream. Then Damon and Elena along with Katherine go to find the bar.
After reaching the bar Damon compels the owner to tell what happened with Stefan, she tells them the whole story and tells how Qetsiyah threw him into a truck. She mentions how she knows who's truck it was and directs them to the hut. Damon and Elena then go on separate ways as Elena decides to save Katherine from Nadia and Damon goes to find Stefan. Before parting ways Damon tells Elena not to risk her life in saving Katherine as she is not even worth a hair on Elena's head and then they kiss.
After finally finding Stefan they take him back to the boarding house where Elena praises Damon for looking out for Stefan but Damon doesn't respond. Elena asks what Qetsiyah said to him back at the cabin. Damon tells her about how she explained that the universe is working against them to bring Stefan and Elena together and so they don't stand a chance. Elena responds by saying that Qetsiyah is crazy and she won't let Silas' 2,000-year-old ex-girlfriend screw things up between them. Damon emotionally tells her how he won't let a stupid idea of destiny stop him from loving Elena or being with her or building a future with her because she is his life. Elena, touched deeply by his words, leans in to kiss him but they are interrupted by Stefan who wakes up and tell them he has no idea who Elena and Damon are.
In For Whom the Bell Tolls, Elena and Damon try to remind Stefan of his past. Later Damon gets a text from Jeremy for meeting him alone and Damon leaves Stefan with Elena. Jeremy confesses to Damon about Bonnie's death and Damon is shaken by it. Meanwhile Elena admits to Stefan about being with Damon when he tries to kiss her which upsets Stefan and he vanishes. Elena calls Damon to help him find Stefan while he is trying to tell her about Bonnie's death.
They finally find Stefan back at the house but he is still upset with them and leaves the house. Elena tells Damon that they need Bonnie and Damon finally tells her about Bonnie's death which shocks her. Later, Elena is freaking out as she can't find a dress for Bonnie's funeral and breaks down into tears telling Damon how she can't do this again. Damon hugs her affectionately and tries to calm her down. At Bonnie's funeral Damon consoles Elena as they both mourn Bonnie's death.
In Monster's Ball, Damon visits Elena at her college to say yes to her Whitmore Historical Ball's invitation.Elena has been avoiding him since three days as she is feeling guilty because she was enjoying her life while her best friend was dead.Elena kisses him goodbye and leaves for her class.They attend the ball dressed as Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII.At the ball,Damon teases her by saying "Lady Anne Boleyn. Now who in their right mind would cut off a head so gorgeous?" To which Elena replies "You, my King. My not so loving husband." Then Damon tries to make her have some fun but Elena heads to investigating Megan's death.
Later at the ball, they find a desiccated Silas who has turned cold and grey and is unable to move because of Qetsiyah's spell. Damon and Elena find him and take him back to the Salvatore house. At the house, they are telling each other about their respective missions of the day and how they failed. Then,Katherine arrives at Salvatore house and she is happy seeing that Silas is gone but Damon gives a devious smile and Katherine realizes why he has called her. Damon then feeds Katherine's blood to Silas while Elena watches and they think that she is dead. But soon she wakes up leaving Damon and Elena stunned and confused.
In Handle with Care, Damon and Elena were at Salvatore Mansion snuggling by the fire and debating how good a day it was about to be when Silas made his entrance. "Good morning, frenemies," he said, ready to get his death on.Elena wasn't sure they could trust him to trade his life for Bonnie's. “You’re kinda evil. No offense,” she said. None taken. He assured her that he was in: He just has to find the anchor, destroy it to destroy the other side, die, and finally be at peace. He knew roughly where the anchor was. Silas was in such a great mood: When Jeremy appeared with his crossbow, Silas knew how excited Jeremy must be. They were all on the same side for the moment, so Damon told Jeremy to "Put the damn crossbow down, Pocahontas." All the doubting made Silas feel ganged up on. Silas then refused to let Elena come along as she looks exactly like his true love, Amara. Elena refused as she wanted to go as well then Silas used his magic on the crossbow to shoot Elena in the leg which upset Damon as he hurried to her side.
Elena was concerned about why Stefan would be fraternizing with Tessa. When she phoned Damon and Silas made sure Damon told her about how he'd maybe kinda sorta snapped Stefan's neck a couple of times, Elena was furious. Tessa informed Damon that she'd purposely lured Elena to the cabin so she could use her as leverage. Tessa wanted Damon to kill Silas before he found the anchor. If he didn't do it before sundown, she'd kill Elena. It might be cathartic, she said, because Elena has the same face as Amara. Elena managed to escape with Stefan's help. Later, Damon told Elena they had to protect Amara now that she's taken the cure and is human again.
In Death and the Maiden, Damon and Elena are finally able to bring Bonnie back to life with the help of Qetsiyah who makes Bonnie the new anchor to the other side.
In Dead Man on Campus, Elena invites Damon to her first college party but first he decides to confront Wes about his lastest actions and what he's up to. Later in the night, Elena knew she needed to phone Damon and make sure he wasn't going to murder Wes. Elena showed up and saw Jesse feeding off of Damon. "He's gonna tear my head off, Elena. Please," he said. She finally staked Jesse. Caroline appeared, just in time for Jesse to die. Damon tried to tell her Elena had no choice.
In The Cell, Elena goes to see Aaron since Damon never came back from interrogating Wes and she's worried. He takes her to the Whitmore House and Wes appears out of nowhere and vervains Elena in front of Aaron. Elena wakes up in a cell next to Damon in the basement of the Whitmore house, and she finally learns about Damon's Augustine days. Turns out, he was in that very same cell for five years in the 50s, getting tortured surgically every day by the Augustine doctors and getting only enough blood to heal back up to do it all over again. They did it all under the guise of researching how vampires regenerated on a cellular level, but it was just sadistic. They would take out pieces of his organs, cut into him over and over, just to watch him heal. He made a friend, Enzo, who was a soldier in Europe during WWII that was shipped to America for 10 years of Augustine torture. He told Damon the way to survive was to picture his revenge and that will get him through the day.
Damon promises Elena that he'll get her out of there after she agonizes over how her father could have been one of those sadistic doctors. Damon also tells Elena that Enzo's friendship is what kept him alive and holding onto his humanity. But the craziest part is that he also reveals he never told anyone, including Stefan, what happened during his Augustine imprisonment, so Stefan won't know where to look for them if he even notices that they're both missing.He continues to tell her more about the past. Every year on New Year's Eve, the Augustine docs let the vampires out of their cells, though still in a cage with vervained bars, for a party. Dr. Whitmore let the guests drink Damon and Enzo's blood to demonstrate how vamp blood worked. And that's how Enzo comes up with an escape plan: one of them will drink both their daily rations of blood for an entire year to gain strength and get revenge the next year on New Years Eve. Enzo lost the rock paper scissors game, so Damon got to drink the rations everyday, saving only a few drops for Enzo so he wouldn't desiccate. Damon finally tells Elena his shameful secret: he left Enzo to die during his escape. After massacring the party on New Years Eve and knocking over a candle, he tried to break the cage to free Enzo but the bars were vervained and he couldn't get him out. Damon flipped his humanity switch so he would stop caring about Enzo, and left him to die in the ensuing fire. Elena, while horrified that Damon left Enzo, forgave him since he left to save himself. It was all about survival, after all.
But then then Damon reveals his dark secret. When Aaron comes down to free Elena and Damon, he makes them confess the truth first. He wants to know if Elena killed his parents, but Damon reveals that it was him. Damon killed Aaron's parents. It was all a part of his revenge plan that Enzo told him to focus on back in the 50s. He decided that he would kill all the members of Augustine and then all the members of the Whitmore family, leaving only one Whitmore alive. Damon would let that person grow up, start a family, and then kill them all except for one, let them grow up and start a family, and do it over and over again. For the past 50 years, he's been sticking to his revenge plan and kept it up even as soon as a few months ago, when he killed someone named Sarah Whitmore, Aaron's aunt. He did this at the beginning of his happy, perfect summer with Elena. It was a weekend trip that she didn't know about. Damon's lost count of how many Whitmores he's killed over the years and there isn't anything to excuse him for his shocking, horrifying behavior. He wasn't killing these people to survive, or to save anyone, or because his humanity was flipped off. was no purpose other than pure, unadulterated revenge.
Damon's been keeping it up even during his relationship with Elena, and she had no idea what was going on. And in shock from hearing what Damon's been doing to his family for the past 50 years, Aaron shoots Damon in the head, upsetting Elena, leaving her shocked. When Damon wakes up, he finds Elena's cell empty realizing that Wes has taken her.
In Fifty Shades of Grayson, Damon uses the last of his remaining strength to get out of the cell and save Elena from Wes. Damon visits Stefan and tells him they have to go get Elena, but he doesn't know where she is, so they need leverage. They find Aaron and Damon tells Aaron to call his uncle to get Elena back, or Wes gets to try to reattach Aaron's arms. Wes manages to keep Damon busy by sending Enzo, who is revealed to be still alive, after Damon. However Stefan manages to save Elena with Aaron's help.
Later at the Salvatore house, Damon finds Elena reading through her dad's journal. She found a reference to Megan in her dad's journal. He cured her from a congenital heart defect, which is why Megan had a picture of Grayson Gilbert in her phone. Damon isn't surprised that Elena is able to find the one positive thing out of all the torture. He doesn't understand how Elena can keep looking past all the terrible things that he has done. She says she loves him and accepts him and because she chose him. Damon replies that now he is choosing and he chooses to let her go. Elena begs him not to run away because she has done horrible things too and that she won't judge him after finding out that he was tortured for 5 years. He shouts at her to stop defending him. Damon confesses that he can't change who he is but he refuses to change Elena and leaves. Elena is devastated and starts crying.
In 500 Years of Solitude, Damon and Elena are having a hard time dealing with their breakup. Damon is spending his time drinking while Elena doesn't want to get out of her bed. Later, they have an awkward moment when Elena returns to the boarding house after learning that Katherine is dying. Stefan encourages Elena to not give up on Damon and convinces Damon to get her back. Stefan tells Damon that she is the best thing that has ever happened to him and Damon doesn't deny it and confesses that he can't leave without her.In The Devil Inside, Stefan told Caroline he'd like her to help get Damon and Elena back together. Stefan said he believes Elena makes Damon happy, which means he's not out there killing people. Caroline conceded that point. Then they realized Elena was lying to them about where she's staying. Damon was with Stefan and out day-drinking at the Grill then Caroline met up with them, and Damon found it shocking that she, of all people, wanted to help reunite him with Elena. They all texted "Elena," growing increasingly worried because had heard from her either. Elena found herself held hostage by Nadia and Mia, realizing that Katherine is inside her body as a passenger. She learned that Mia was going seal Katherine's spirit into her body. She impersonated Katherine until she could get away. Later, she finally knocked Mia out and staked Nadia in the stomach and ran. She had the phone, but they'd apparently changed her pin number. They didn't need Elena's body to be there. Mia could apparently finish the spell anyway. Katherine's memories started coming to Elena. Instead, she was running to the party, where Damon, who hadn't been able to get inside the house without an invite, was. Elena threw herself into Damon's arms, but just as they embraced, the spell was complete resulting into Elena being gone and Katherine in full control. Damon launched into a speech about why he wanted Elena back. He said thinking he could change her and make her a worse person gave him too much credit and her too little. She's good, and he needs a little good in his life. Without it, there's an awful lot of darkness. Katherine starts talking and tells him that she doesn't want to be the only thing that he lives for. She doesn't want to worry about what happens if they break up and what he'll do -- like how he tortured Katherine. She said Damon was right to let her go and told him it was over. Stefan heard the breakup; Damon assumed a part of him enjoyed it.
In Total Eclipse of the Heart, on Elena's phone, it was shown that she has many photos of her and Damon while she was still human and some of while being a vampire.
In Gone Girl, Stefan tells Damon about Katherine living in Elena's body and that it was Katherine who broke up with him and not Elena. Damon is obviously angry and wants Katherine dead just like everyone. They lure Katherine inside the Salvatore house and Stefan daggers her with the Traveler's Knife killing her for good. Later Damon along with Stefan is waiting for Elena to wake up. Damon tells Stefan that he plans on telling Elena everything he did in her absence and is ready to face the consequences. Elena then wakes up and Damon smiles at her. Elena greets Damon happily and assures him that its really her. It is then revealed that Katherine injected Elena's body with the enhanced Ripper Compound that Wes had made making Elena a vampire ripper just like Damon.
In While You Were Sleeping, Elena is informed by Stefan of her current ripper situation and that she has been sealed in her room by a spell so that she doesn't feed on anyone. Elena instantly calls Damon and they are both happy to hear each other. They are flirting when Elena asks him how Katherine broke his heart. He shrugs it off saying he doesn't remember. She then says "The last thing I remember I was running into your arms and I felt so safe," and he replies "It was all downhill from there." Elena then tells him how she wanted to fight for him and still want to, Damon joyfully replies "Oh Elena..the second we are cured of this and don't want to rip each other's heads off, I am going to hunt you down and give you the most mind-blowing night of your life." Elena excitedly says that she can schedule him in.
The werewolf venom insides Elena makes her hallucinate stuff which leaves her disturbed, she calls Damon again and ask him to distract her. He mischievously asks what is she wearing making Elena blush. He then tells her about Klaus and Caroline. Elena asks why they don't just hunt down Wes for the antidote and Damon confesses he killed him. Elena is upset saying that he was the only family that Aaron has. Elena's hallucinations start going worse and makes her believe she killed Aaron. Elena calls Damon in a panic, she can't tell what's real anymore. She tells Damon she thinks she killed Aaron. Damon promises to tell her everything, but says now isn't a good time. She freaks out, yelling that everyone is lying to her. Damon gets worried and manages to free himself from the cell while Elena threatens Liv to drop the seal and then goes out of the campus.
Elena wanders outside her dorm, still coughing up blood and hallucinating. She sees Aaron and thinks it means he's okay, but it's really Damon. Damon gives her Stefan's blood to drink. "She won, Katherine won," Elena said. She rants about nearly killing Liv and killing Aaron Whitmore. Finally, Damon tells her she didn't kill Aaron but he did. Damon then reveals why he did, because the only person he believed could change him from being a cold blooded killer to a better person instead told him that he could never change. He waits for her to say something, but she sees Enzo there with the antidotes.Back at the Salvatore Mansion, Damon offers Elena a drink to which she declines and then goes says how Damon should have noticed that it was Katherine not Elena. If he had, Aaron would still be alive, there'd be no virus. Damon points out she's blaming Katherine for his mistakes and making excuses for him. Damon says he killed Aaron because he thought she broke his heart and this is how much control she has over him while Elena says that even after all this she is still here and this is how much control he has over her. He calls their relationship toxic and Elena confesses how she has to compromise her morals again to make excuses for him and she does it because she loves him. He tells her to stop loving him, but she yells that she can't. Damon replies that this is the problem and they mutually decide to end their relationship. However they both gaze at each other longingly and Damon then kisses Elena to which she reciprocates. They begin to make out and Elena rips his shirt. They are then in Damon's bed and end up having hot passionate break up sex.
In Rescue Me, Elena and Damon stay woken up for 3 hours without saying anything after their night together, post break up. Elena's phone buzzes to remind her to go to Jeremy's parent-teacher conference. She starts putting on her clothes while Damon greets her. Elena says they're still bad for each other and still broken up and last night was a mistake. "Maybe we should keep making mistakes," Damon replies. She leaves, despite his offer of a naked breakfast.
At Jeremy's parent teacher conference, Elena finds out she is not his primary contact and asks then who is. Damon enters saying present and sits next to Elena. Waiting for the teacher at school, Damon flirts with Elena, who tries to keep him on task. Damon mentions seeing Jeremy with Liv and a bottle of booze this morning at the Grill. Elena is sure Jeremy's not a cheater. Then the teacher comes in and complains about Jeremy saying "Jeremy's missed 11 days of school, he's started three fights and he's been caught cheating in math class twice." When the teacher realizes that Damon and Elena have broken up she tells them that Jeremy needs a stable living situation.
After talking with his teacher, Damon points out that Elena is making excuses for Jeremy, just like she always does with people she loves. She thinks he wants to talk about last night. He corners her near the locker and admits he doesn't know what to say, but just wants to take her into one of the classrooms and kiss every square inch of her body while people who drive minivans listen and wish they were them but then adds that it is probably a bad idea. Elena tries hard to breathe and with great difficulty whispers right. Damon leaves by saying see you in class while Elena is left completely shaken.
Later in chemistry presentation Elena fantasizes about making out with Damon in a class room. She is snapped out of it by Damon who taunts her that she is missing a incredibly boring presentation. Frustrated with their sexual tension, Elena leaves the presentation saying she needs some air. Elena runs into Liv who almost kills her but Damon comes in time and saves Elena. Damon tortures Liv for information despite Elena's request to stop. Finally, Liv tells them that Elena is the last female doppelganger and that Stefan might soon be the last male and if that happens, the Travelers will come to use Elena. Damon is ready to kill Liv, but Jeremy shows up and says Damon will have to go through him. Jeremy convinces Elena and Damon that Liv knows a lot about the Travelers and will help them in protecting Elena.
At the Salvatore house, Jeremy tells Elena and Damon that he has decided to live with Matt and Tyler leaving both of them upset. Later, Elena is packing her stuff and Damon asks her to not leave but she says that when they are together they do bad things for each other and she can't live with that. Damon offers to drive her to Whitmore but Elena confesses that if he does that then she won't be able to control herself around him and thus they are gonna end up back here. Damon then slowly walks up to Elena, then she believes he is going to kiss her. Instead Damon then shush's her and does the selfless/right thing, he takes his hands around her neck then slowly kisses her forehead and tells her Travel safe. Elena then seems shocked by Damon's act of selflessness as he walks away, she then seems upset that he finally let her go.
In Resident Evil, Damon is trying to get over Elena by completely "erasing" her from his life. However, when Elena arrives at the house to find a way to stop her visions about Stefan, Damon is immediately enticed by her. After an awkward chat, Elena suggests they be friends and Damon cringes at the idea. Damon asks Elena about the visions and then grits his teeth as he asks if the visions show her with Stefan and really, really happy. Elena doesn't know how to reply and Damon uncomfortably states that Stefan and Elena are fated to be together.
Throughout the day, Damon and Elena have intense conversations, even though she is having rampant dreams about Stefan. Later that night, Damon drinks outside, "listening to the universe laugh at me," he tells Elena. "We were doomed from the beginning, Elena. We were always going to end up here." She assures him the universe doesn't control anything and the dreams are not real. She then has another vision in which she sees the house address and hence announces where to find Markos. Damon and Enzo go in search of Markos and he explains to them that the doppelganger prophecy is not true and the reason why doppelgängers are drawn together is because of a spell that he cast 1500 years ago because the Travelers needed their blood.
After Markos stops the visions, Damon returns to having Elena in his room. She tells him that the visions were indeed a fantasy but they weren't real and even though Damon and her are messy and complicated they are real. But Damon replies they are still bad for each other. Elena says she still wants him in her life but Damon becomes flustered and tells Elena that he doesn't want anything to do with her as he can't be friends with her. Elena then exits and returns to Whitmore College.
In Man on Fire, Elena is having a hard time dealing with Damon's decision of no longer being around her. She is having a study date with Bonnie and Stefan when Enzo interrupts them and claims that Stefan is responsible for killing the love of his life Maggie. Enzo compels all the students around them and ties Stefan and Elena with vervain ropes and tortures them. He calls Damon to inform him about the situation and warns him about killing either Elena or Stefan. Damon with the help of Sheriff figures that it was actually him who killed Maggie and not Stefan. Damon then joins them and tries to calm Enzo. He then taunts Elena asking if her and Stefan are study buddies now while she whispers to him "What are you doing". He shrugs and finally reveals the truth to them about killing Maggie.
Enzo is not able to deal with the fact that his best friend killed the love of his life and switches off his humanity. A fight takes place between Enzo and the Salvatore boys and Enzo ends up running away with Elena. Damon realizes that Enzo is going to kill Elena for revenge and goes after them. He finds an unconscious Elena outside Whitmore College and carries her to her dorm room. He lays her on the bed and caresses her face. As she starts gaining conscious he vamps speed out before she can see him. Elena wakes up and wonders how she reached here while staring at the window.
In What Lies Beneath, Damon, Stefan, Caroline and Elena decide to make a trip to Caroline's father's remote cabin to hide Stefan and Elena from the travelers. They take Luke along with them so that he is able to perform an anti-locator spell which will hide them from the travelers. While Elena is unpacking her stuff, Damon visits her and they talk about the cabin and Caroline's father. Damon then mentions how he should be avoiding her and Elena asks him if that is what he still wants. Damon replies "Yes. No. I don't know." Elena offers him an out and Damon asks if she is kicking him out. She repeats his words saying "Yes. No. I don't know." They share a flirtatious smile and the conversation soon becomes awkward when Damon mentions Enzo. Elena is feeling guilty about lying to Damon about Enzo's death by the hands of Stefan and leaves making an excuse.
Later, Damon and Caroline admit to each other about their shared suspicion of Stefan and Elena keeping a secret and decide to play games so that the secret comes out. In the evening, the gang is playing charade and there is still no sign of any secret. Then Damon suggests to play "Never have I ever." It goes around until Caroline says "Never have I ever kissed a Salvatore brother -- today." Then Damon says "Never have I lied about where Enzo is." Stefan and Elena are silent and the evening comes to a screeching halt. Elena gets up and leaves for bed.
While Elena is taking a bath, a ghost Enzo who now has the power of touching things in the real world tries to drown her for revenge. When she's able to come up for air, she screams for Damon. He comes to rescue her and wraps a towel around her. He tries to calm her down while Elena panics about what happened. Damon then wonders why a ghost would wanna attack Elena. She finally admits the truth about Enzo's death. Damon joins Stefan and Caroline and they figure out that drowning Elena was just a distraction, Enzo figured out a way to kill them all. He has taken Luke somewhere making it possible for the travelers to track them.Later, Damon is packing up the car in order to move to a new location when Elena approaches him. He tries to brush her off and warns her to hurry as the travelers must be coming. She apologizes for keeping Enzo's death a secret and he says he doesn't care about her lies. She is confused and asks him why is he behaving like this. He then confesses "Because you were right, Elena. You wanted to protect me so I wouldn't spiral because if I spiraled then it would prove that we shouldn't be together, but--but I didn't spiral. Despite every nerve in my body wanting to break something or hurt someone or do all the wrong things for all the right reasons, I'm holding it together the best I can, for you." Elena smiles slightly to herself and playfully asks if he is still mad at her. He further confuses her when he says "Of course I'm still mad at you because being around you drives me nuts, and not being around you drives me nuts." They stare at each other for a while when Damon finally runs towards her and kisses her passionately. Elena whispers what was that for and he mentions how he had a really bad day and he needed it. He goes inside the cabin while Elena has a brief moment to enjoy the glow when suddenly the travelers arrive there paralyzing her brain and Markos grabs her from behind.
In Promised Land, it has been four days since the travelers took Stefan and Elena and Damon has been desperately searching for them. Later, he gets a call from Stefan who informs him that he and Elena have managed to free themselves from the travelers but don't know where they are. When Stefan tells him that he has Elena hunting squirrels, Damon jokes that Elena will shoot Stefan's eyes. Damon tells him that he will find and kill Markos and asks him to have both him and Elena return home safely. On a country road somewhere, Stefan tells Elena that Damon sounded ready to save the world. When she says she likes that Damon, Stefan tells her that there are different rules for vampires and difficult relationships and if she and Damon want to be together, they should be together. When the travelers are successful in their spell and magic starts to vanish from Mystic Falls, all of the vampires start reverting to their human form and start dying from the same wounds they died as a human. Elena, Damon, Stefan, Bonnie and Caroline plan to meet in Whitmore and travel far away so that they are unaffected from the traveler's spell. When Damon reaches Whitmore, Elena rushes to him and kisses him passionately. When he asks what was that for, she repeats his word from their last kiss, "I had a really crappy day and I needed it". She also confesses that she thought she would never see him again and couldn't think of a worse way to die. They are both enjoying their little happiness when Stefan says that he will wait for Caroline and Bonnie. Damon and Elena then leave in the car together and Elena says her goodbye to Jeremy.
Going into the season finale, Damon and Elena hear of Stefan's death and are devastated by it. They both work together to try to find a way to bring him back. Damon plans to blow up Mystic Fall while Elena and Caroline get Liv to help them with the spell. Damon has to break the news to Elena in the town cemetery that he's the one who will "trigger the explosion" at the Mystic Grill. Elena isn't having it and then asks him the big question. "Do you see a future with me because that's all I see." Damon says he's seen it "since Day 1" asking her to "respect" his choice to sacrifice his life for the others. Then, he makes a promise he probably shouldn't have made: "I will make it back to you. I promise." Then they stare at each other, Elena seems lost in the moment and kisses him passionately and he then promises again to Elena that he will return.
Just as Damon's about to drive through the Mystic Grill in a blaze of glory, Elena jumps in the car. Elena says, "You said to respect your choice. Now you can respect mine." Damon looks somewhat shocked that Elena would be willing to die with him so that they're together rather than let Damon die alone. Seconds later the car plows through the Mystic Grill filled with the Travelers, Damon and Elena give each other one last longing look. Elena is about to tell Damon that she loves him but he tells her he knows. They both die ending up on the Other Side.
Elena is reunited with Alaric and she wants to go find Damon but he tells he that he will go find Damon and that she needs to hurry to Bonnie. Damon wakes up and locates Sheriff Forbes under a collapsed column. Struggling to free it, Alaric comes to his rescue, saving Liz from the clutches of death. Most of the gang arrives to where Bonnie is but Elena refuses to go without Damon. Bonnie forces her friend to pass through, Elena then gets angry with Bonnie asking her "Why would you do that?!" and telling her she can't leave without Damon. Bonnie promises that she'll find him then grows weaker and falls over, which causes Stefan to inadvertently come back to life. Elena then begins to panic, believing that Damon will not return in time and starts to cry, Elena then becomes distraught fearing for Damon's return. Alaric passes through as well, but Lexi refuses to take Damon's spot and takes down Markos. Fearing for her life, Luke stops Liv from continuing on with the spell making Damon unable to return back to life.
Elena then rushes to Liv and Luke only to find them gone, Bonnie then appears behind a horrified Elena who says that we have to find them. But Bonnie admits to her that it's to late to save Damon. Elena then begins to fall apart, she then becomes full with denial, not wanting to believe that Damon cannot return, Elena's grief becomes unbearable for herself as she struggles to string together words of significance as she slinks down to the ground and cries.
"You lied to me." she says, as ghost Damon appears in front of her. "Even if I wanted to apologize, you couldn't hear me, so I won't."he says, stroking her face, she appears to feel his touch, yet continues to cry, Damon then says to Elena, "You are by far the greatest thing that has ever happened to me...The fact that I got to die knowing I was loved... is the epitome of a fulfilled life...It is never going to get better than this. I peaked." Elena distraught with grief makes one small plea to Damon: "Please, please come back to me." Damon then says goodbye and disappears. Alaric appears and comforts her and says to Alaric "He's gone." A broken Elena then hugs Alaric for comfort and he also begins to mourns Damon's death.
Describing their Relationship
- "This year, she's had a very traumatic roller coaster of life experience and it's changed her irrevocably—and at the center of it all was the die hard belief that she loved Damon, that she loved him more than she'd ever loved anyone."
- —Julie Plec
- "That's the journey, I don't just want to throw them together tomorrow. I'd be sad. I want to see the kiss, I want to see the sweaty palms, I want to see it all go down."
- —Kevin Williamson
- "Because of Damon's feelings for Elena, thinking that, for the very first time in his life that he has a home, Elena is the one who helped Damon find his home and his home is Elena."
- —Kevin Williamson
- "I think that's what makes them as a couple so powerful. Even if the story line is them not dating, it's still a love story."
- —Caroline Dries
So many stories are about love at first sight, but we have to say that the most compelling ones are the ones that take their time with the build up, the thrill of the anticipation, until there’s so much unresolved sexual tension waiting to boil over the brim. That definitely fits Damon and Elena’s love story. He was the narcissistic evil vampire, who came to town to seek revenge on his younger brother, who Elena happened to develop an interest in. When everyone had written Damon off as a bad guy who couldn't be redeemed, Elena - who was unafraid of him and willing to call him on his crap- saw something in him that hinted he wasn't entirely evil. And so there marked the start of a tentative yet beautiful friendship. What’s so great about Damon and Elena is that they’re so true to life. Their relationship didn't happen overnight, it took some time. It wasn't perfect, and there were screw ups along the way. But that ‘way’ lead them to becoming friends and Damon falling for Elena. He’s always saving her from danger and she’s saving him from his dark self.
There’s an undeniable chemistry between her and Damon. We see it in the way they look at each other and the way they dance. Even when they’re fighting, there’s heat there. Even Elena admitted herself that being with Damon consumes her and she feels free.
These guys are more than just a simple love story. For three and a half seasons we've been captivated by Damon and Elena. Despite this, they've managed to gather thousands of fans from around the world and have so many talking about them and wondering what’s going to happen next, which is a true testament to how popular they are and their strong chemistry. They say that true love comes to those who wait and this couldn't be more true for Damon and Elena. It finally happened when she chose him in Season Four.
As the series continued on, Elena and Damon's relationship grew even more stronger leading them to wanting to have a future together.
In Season Six, Damon and Elena will be facing the ultimate obstacle. As Damon was unable to return to the land of the living in Season Five Finale, Home, he would be stuck in an another world and would be physically separated from Elena. Julie Plec says about their journey in season six: "Damon and Elena are obviously not together at the moment because he’s not with us. But I think what’s beautiful is in the show they are together spiritually because she’s missing him so deeply and he is dying to get back to her so profoundly. Even though, they’re not physically with each other, that’s what each of them want so badly and so much of the first part of the season is trying to draw them back together and then all the things that get in their way, and its bad. It’s bad, but it’s beautiful. Happy tears. Sad tears….So, they’re longing for each other and longing is just as beautiful as being together in a lot of ways too." source
- Bonnie: That was weird. When I touched you, I saw a crow.
- Elena: What?
- Bonnie: A crow. There was fog, a man.
- -- Pilot
- Damon: I'm Damon,Stefan's brother.
- Elena: He didn't tell me he had a brother.
- Damon: Well, Stefan's not one to brag.
- Damon: I see why my brother's so smitten.It's about time. For a while there I never thought he'd get over the last one. Nearly destroyed him.
- Damon: I like you. You know how to laugh. And you make Stefan smile, which is something I haven't seen in a very long time.
- Elena: Earlier, did you mean... Katherine?
- Damon: Mm-hmm.
- Elena: How did she die?
- Damon: In a fire. Tragic fire.
- Elena: Recently?
- Damon: It seems like it was yesterday.
- Elena: What was she like?
- Damon: She was beautiful. A lot like you in that department. She was also very complicated and selfish and at times not very kind, but very sexy and seductive.
- Elena: So which one of you dated her first?
- Damon: Nicely deduced. Ask Stefan. I'm sure his answer differs from mine. I'd quit cheerleading if I were you.
- Elena: Why do you say that?
- Damon: Oh, I saw you at practice. You looked miserable.
- Elena: You saw that?
- Damon: Am I wrong?
- Elena: I used to love it. It was fun. Things are different this year. Everything that used to matter doesn't anymore.
- Damon: So don't let it. Quit, move on. Problem solved. Ta-da.
- Elena: Some things could matter again.
- Damon: Maybe. But... seems a little unrealistic to me.
- Elena: I'm sorry. About Katherine. You lost her, too.
- -- Friday Night Bites
- Elena: Is that "Damon Salvatore" and "Stefan Salvatore"?
- Damon: The original Salvatore brothers. Our ancestors. Tragic story actually.
- Damon: I want to apologize to you for being such a world class jerk the other night when I tried to kiss you. There's no excuse. My therapist says I'm acting out, trying to punish Stefan.
- Damon: Let's just say that the men in the Salvatore family have been cursed with sibling rivalry.
- Damon: The Salvatore name was practically Royalty in this town, until the war. There was a battle here.
- Elena: The Battle of Willow Creek.
- Damon: Right.
- Damon: Stefan and Damon had someone they loved very much in that church.
- Elena: Who was in the church that they wanted to save?
- Damon: A woman, I guess. Doesn't it always come down to the love of a woman?
- Elena: Look, I'm sorry you and Stefan have this thing between you. But I can't get in the middle of it, Damon. I just, I hope you two can work it out.
- Damon: I hope so too.
- -- Family Ties
- Elena: Is Stefan here?
- Damon: Yep!
- Elena: Where is he?
- Damon: And good morning to you, little miss “ I'm on a mission”.
- Elena: How can you be so arrogant and glib after everything that you've done?
- Damon: And how can you be so brave and stupid to call a vampire arrogant and glib?
- Elena: If you wanted me dead, I'd be dead.
- Damon: Yes, you would.
- Elena: But I'm not.
- Damon: Yet.
- -- Haunted
- Elena: So, why did you bring me with you?
- Damon: Well, you're not the worst company in the world, Elena. You should give yourself more credit!
- Elena: Seriously?
- Damon: You were there in the road, all damsel-in-distress-like. And, I knew it would piss off Stefan. And... you're not the worst company in the world, Elena.
- Elena: I used to be more fun.
- Damon: You did okay.
- Elena: I saved your life!
- Damon: I know.
- Elena: And don't you forget it!
- -- Bloodlines
- Damon: I'm gonna have to change the locks. Stage a jailbreak?
- Elena: Stefan.
- Damon: Ahh, brother. Ever the white knight.
- Elena: I convinced Bonnie to help you.
- Damon: I doubt that.
- Elena: I'm not gonna say that I'm sorry we got the Grimoire without you last night, because... I'm not, really.
- Damon: Well, at least you're honest.
- Elena: I was protecting the people I love, Damon. But so were you, in your own twisted way. And as hard as it is to figure, we're all on the same side, after the same thing.
- Damon: Not interested.
- Elena: Yes you are, because you were willing to work with us yesterday.
- Damon: Fool me once, shame on you.
- Elena: Okay, when we were in Atlanta, why didn't you use your compulsion on me?
- Damon: Who's to say I didn't?
- Elena: (pauses and stutters) You didn't. I know you didn't, but you could have. You and I, we have some something.
- (Damon swallows nervously.)
- Elena: An understanding. And I know that my betrayal hurt you, different from how it is with you and Stefan, but I'm promising you this now, I will help you get Katherine back.
- Damon: I wish I could believe you.
- Elena: Ask me if I'm lying now. (Takes off her necklace)
- Damon: You know Anna won't stop by the way, no matter what I do.
- Elena: Then we'll deal with it.
- Damon: I didn't compel you in Atlanta because we were having fun. (Puts her necklace back on her) I wanted it to be real. I'm trusting you, don't make me regret it.
- -- Fool Me Once
- Elena: But you took a risk with Damon. How did you know that he was gonna give it to me?
- Isobel: Because he's in love with you.
- Damon: Oh and when you do tell Elena and she needs a friend to talk to about anything, I’m here for her.
- -- Isobel
- Damon: Why is it such a surprise that I would try and kiss you?
- Elena: That's... not a surprise.
- (Damon looks at her questioningly.)
- Elena: I'm surprised you thought I'd kiss you back.
- Damon: ...Now I'm hurt. (Walks off)
- Damon: You're surprised that I thought you'd kiss me back; you can't imagine that I'd believe that you'd want to.
- Elena: Damon...
- Damon: Yet, what we've been doing here--means something. You're the liar, Elena...There is something going on between the two of us and you know it. And you're lying to me, and you're lying to Stefan but worst of all you're lying to yourself. I can prove it.
- (Damon kisses Elena.)
- Elena: Damon don't! What is wrong with you?
- Damon: Lie about this.
- Elena: Stop it! You're better than this. Come on!
- Damon: That's where you're wrong.
- Elena: No, no, no, I care about you! Listen to me! I care about you! I do, but I love Stefan, it's always going to be Stefan.
- -- The Return
- Damon: You have every right to hate me, I understand but you hated me before and we became friends. It would suck if that was gone forever. So, is it? Have I lost you forever?
- Elena: Thank you for the book, Damon.
- Damon: Road trips work well for us.
- Elena: This doesn’t mean that things are back to the way they used to be, Damon.
- Damon: Oh come on! You know I chipped a little bit off of your wall of hatred.
- Elena: I need to know the truth. When you broke Jeremy’s neck, did you know that he was wearing the ring?
- Damon: No. No, I didn’t. Katherine really pissed me off and I snapped and… I got lucky with the ring. I don’t know what I would done of he wasn’t wearing it. Elena, I’m sorry.
- Elena: Thank you for being honest with me and the answer to your question, about our friendship is yes. You have lost me forever.
- Damon: But you knew that already, didn’t you? You used me today.
- Elena: You had information about Katherine that I needed to know.
- Damon: I thought friends don’t manipulate friends. You and Katherine have a lot more in common than just your looks.
- -- Bad Moon Rising
- Damon: Elena... I riled Katherine up, I... I wasn't thinking, I didn't think.
- Elena: It doesn't matter Damon. She won... Katherine won.
- -- Plan B
- Damon: Cute PJ's.
- Elena: I'm tired Damon.
- Damon: Brought you this. (holding Elena's necklace)
- Elena: I thought that was gone. Thank you... (reaches for it, and Damon pulls it back) please give it back...
- Damon: I just have to say something.
- Elena: Why do you have to say it with my necklace?
- Damon: Because what I'm about to say is...probably the most selfish thing I've ever said in my life.
- Elena: Damon, don't go there.
- Damon: No. I have to say it once, you just need to hear it...I love you, Elena. And it's because I love you that I can't be selfish with you, and why you can't know this. I don't deserve you, but my brother does. (Kisses Elena on the forehead) God, I wish you didn't have to forget this. But you do. (sheds a tear, compels Elena to forget his confession and leaves. Elena blinks, and when she opens her eyes, Damon is gone, and she's wearing her necklace).
- -- Rose
- Damon: You were supposed to leave.
- Elena: I did but then I came back to make sure that you’re okay.
- Damon: I appreciate the gesture. I’m just glad it’s over.
- Elena: You know I don’t believe that.
- Damon: Go home, Elena. Get some rest. It’s a whole new day tomorrow.
- Elena: Damon, I’m your friend.
- Damon: I’m well aware of that.
- Elena: And a friend usually knows when their friend is hurting.
- Damon: What do you want to hear? That I cared about Rose? That I’m upset? Well I didn't and I’m not.
- Elena: There you go, pretending to turn it off, pretending not to feel. Damon, you’re so close, don’t give up.
- Damon: I feel Elena, okay? And it sucks! What sucks even more is that it was supposed to be me. Jules was coming after me.
- Elena: You feel guilty.
- Damon: That would be human of me, wouldn't it Elena? And I’m not human. You want to talk about giving up? That's all you've done is given up! Go home. It’s been enough doom, gloom and personal growth for one night.
- Elena: Okay, I will. (She embraces him) Good night Damon.
- -- The Descent
- Damon: See, that's why I didn't tell you. 'Cause you would have never been able to do it. Don't get me wrong, Stefan. I don't mind being the bad guy. I'll make all the life and death decisions while you're busy worrying about collateral damage. I'll even let her hate me for it. But at the end of the day, I'll be the one to keep her alive.
- Damon: Ugh. Look. Klaus had to think she was dead. Your reaction had to be real.
- Elena: I understand why you did what you did. Klaus was fooled, and Bonnie's alive.
- Damon: Here's to duplicity.
- Elena: But let's get one thing straight, Damon. Bonnie will not die for me, I will not let that happen.
- Damon: We need to kill Klaus, Elena. Real Klaus. Who will probably be coming to pay you a visit soon now that he knows that Bonnie is dead. She's the only one who can do it.
- Elena: We'll find another way.
- Damon: I hope so.
- Elena: Look, I shouldn't have hit you.
- Damon: Apology accepted. Let me be clear about something. If it comes down to you and the witch again, I will gladly let Bonnie die. I will always... choose...you.
- (She doesn’t say anything for a moment)
- Elena: Goodnight, Damon.
- Damon: Goodnight.
- (She looks at him and leaves.)
- -- The Last Dance
- Damon:If you come back as a vampire, I'll stake you myself. Because I can't stand the idea of you hating me forever.
- Damon: That'll get easier. But you knew that.
- Elena: What do you want?
- Damon: I want to apologize.
- Elena: Damon…
- Damon: Please. Elena, feeding you my blood, I was wrong.
- Elena: Yes, you were.
- Damon: And I know I don't deserve your forgiveness, but... I need it.
- Elena: And I need some time, maybe a lot of time.
- Damon: Sure. Of course, take all the time you need.
- Damon: Elena.
- Elena: It's okay, Damon. I'm right here.
- Damon: Elena, get out of here. I could hurt you.
- Elena: No. You won't. I'm here until the very end. I'm not leaving you.
- Damon: Get out of here.
- Elena: Hey, hey, hey, hey. Hang on. Shh. It's okay. It's okay. It's okay.
- Damon: It's not okay. It's not okay. All those years, I've blamed Stefan. No one forced me to love her. It was my own choice.
- Elena: Shh.
- Damon: I made the wrong choice. You tell Stefan I'm sorry. Okay?
- Elena: I will.
- Damon: This is even more pitiful than I thought.
- Elena: There’s still hope.
- Damon: I have made a lot of choices that have gotten me here. I deserve this. I deserve to die.
- Elena: No, (lays beside Damon) you don’t.
- Damon: I do, Elena. It’s okay, ‘Cause if I had chosen differently, I couldn’t have met you. I’m so sorry. I have done so many things to hurt you.
- Elena: It’s okay. I forgive you.
- Damon: I know you love Stefan, and it will always be Stefan. But Elena, I love you. (Elena starts crying) You should know that.
- Elena: I do.
- Damon: You should have met me in 1864. Maybe you would have liked me...
- Elena: I like you now… just the way you are. (Elena kisses Damon)
- Damon: Thanks.
- Elena: You’re welcome.
- Damon: I was wrong.
- Elena: ...Are you drunk?
- Damon: No. I thought Stefan was gone but I was wrong.
- Elena: You saw him out there? Damon, is he okay?
- Damon: No, he's not okay, Elena. He's an insufferable martyr who needs his ass kicked. But he can be saved.
- Elena: What happened out there? What changed your mind?
- Damon: I changed my mind because even in his darkest place, my brother still can't let me die. So I figure I owe him the same in return. I'll help you bring him back.
Elena: Thank you.
Damon: But before I do, I need you to answer one question. What made you change your mind?
Elena: What do you mean?
Damon: You were so hellbent on staying on that mountain, then you just gave up. So what changed your mind?
Elena: We were under attack, Damon.
Damon: You had a bag full of weapons and a teacher with an eternity ring. You could have kept going.
Elena: It was too dangerous.
Damon: It was too dangerous going out there to begin with, so what was it?
Elena: Why are you being like this?
Damon: What changed your mind, Elena?
Elena: I didn't want to see you get hurt, okay? I was...I was worried about you.
(He begins to leave.)
Elena: Yes, I worry about you. Why do you even have to hear me say it?
(Turns around, walks to her, and touches her face)
Damon: Because when I drag my brother from the edge and deliver him back to you, I want you to remember the things you felt while he was gone. Goodnight, Elena.
- -- The Hybrid
- Elena: He's really gone this time. I watched it happen. After everything we went through to get...to help him now he's just...gone. Where were you, Damon?
Damon: I shouldn't of left, I promise you I will never leave you again.
- -- The Reckoning
- Elena: You played your part of the plan really well tonight.
- Damon: Oh, yeah?
- Elena: You had Rebekah drooling all over you and your marshmallows.
- Damon: Yeah, before she skewered me. I thought you were too drunk to notice.
- Elena: I was faking most of it.
- Damon: So was I.
- -- Smells Like Teen Spirit
- Elena: How did this happen?
- Damon: We thought of everything, Elena! Klaus having hybrids. Mikael turning on us. We brought in Katherine so you weren`t in danger. Anything that could have gone wrong we were prepared!
- Elena: I don`t understand. Stefan wanted Klaus dead. More than anything. That`s what we were counting on.
- Damon: We blew it.
- Elena: Where`s Katherine?
- Damon: She ran for the hills like usual, the minute things got bad! And who blames her?! Klaus would`ve crushed her. I had him, Elena. I had Klaus! This could have all been over!!!
- Elena: Hey. Damon... Hey! Hey, listen to me! We`ll survive this. We always survive. Trust me.
- Damon: We`re never getting Stefan back. You know that, don`t you?
- Elena: Then we`ll let him go. Okay? We`ll have to let him go.
- -- Homecoming
- Elena: I feel like a horrible person.
- Damon: You just saved his life, Elena. Take it from me, strange is bad, dead is worse.
- Elena: I just can't stop thinking about what happened the last time I asked you to compel him.
- Damon: He found out. And he got over it. Again: not dead, Elena! He's so lucky to have you for his sister.
- Elena: Thank you.
- Damon: No problem.
- Elena: Not just for this, Damon. For everything...I don't know what I would do if you weren't here.
- Damon: You should know this, Elena. Stefan didn't screw us over. He screwed us over but he had a good reason.
- Elena: What?
- Damon: He saved Klaus to save me. Then he stole the coffins to get even.
- Elena: What? Damon, if he did it to protect you then...Why would he even do that? What is it even mean?
- Damon: What's it even mean?.....Means I'm an idiot. 'Cause I thought for one second that I wouldn't have to feel guilty anymore.
- Elena: What? What are you talking about? Guilty for what?
- Damon: For wanting what I want.
- Elena: Damon...
- Damon: I know. Believe me, I get it...Brother's girl and all.No,no, you know what? If I'm gonna feel guilty about something, I'm gonna feel guilty about this. (walks up to and kisses Elena)
- -- The New Deal
- Elena: You can't kiss me again.
- Damon: I know.
- Elena: I can't. It's not right.
- Damon: It's right. Just not right now.
- -- Our Town
- Elena: Damon just sort of snuck up on me. He got under my skin and no matter what I do I just – I can’t shake him.
- Matt: Once you fall in love with someone, I don’t know if – I don’t know if you can ever shake them.
- -- 1912
- Elena: Why don't you let people see the good in you?
- Damon: Because when people see good, they expect good. And I don't want to have to live up to someone's expectations.
- Rose: It’s not just that she makes him a better person, she does, but he changes her too. Damon challenges her, surprises her, he makes her question her life, beliefs. Stefan is different, his love is pure, he’ll always be good for her. Damon is either the best thing for her or the worst.
- -- Heart of Darkness
- Elena: When I’m with him (Damon), he just consumes me.
- Damon: Katherine.
- Elena: No – um – I I’m Elena.
- Damon: Oh, you – you just look… I’m sorry, you just really remind me of someone. I’m Damon.
- Elena: Not to be rude or anything, Damon, but it’s kind of creepy that you’re out here in the middle of nowhere.
- Damon: You’re one to talk. You’re out here all by yourself.
- Elena: It’s Mystic Falls. Nothing bad ever happens here. Got into a fight with my boyfriend.
- Damon: About what? May I ask.
- Elena: Life, future, he’s got it all mapped out.
- Damon: And you don’t want it?
- Elena: I don’t know what I want.
- Damon: Well, that’s not true. You want what everybody wants.
- Elena: What? Mysterious stranger who has all the answers?
- Damon: Hmm, well, let’s just say I’ve been around a long time. I’ve learned a few things.
- Elena: So, Damon, tell me. What is it that I want?
- Damon: You want a love that consumes you. You want passion, an adventure, and even a little danger.
- Elena: So, what do you want? It’s my parents.
- Damon: I want you to get everything that you’re looking for, but right now I want you to forget that this happened. Can’t have people knowing that I’m in town yet. Goodnight, Elena. (Compels her to forget)
- -- The Departed
- Elena: I remember everything. One of the highlights of my transition, remembering everything you compelled me to forget. Like how you and I met first. You were a stranger that told me you wanted me to get everything I wanted from life. Damon, why didn’t you tell me?
- Damon: Would it have made a difference? … I didn’t think so.
- Elena: If it were you at the bridge last night and not Stefan, and I begged you to save Matt...
- Damon: I would have saved you, in a heartbeat. No question!
- Elena: So I thought. And Matt would be dead, cause you couldn't let go. Matt would be dead!
- Damon: But you wouldn't be! And you would have gotten to grow up and had the life that you wanted, the life that you deserved. And I know I didn't used to get that but I do now. And I wanted that for you, Elena, and I would have gladly given it to you and let Matt die because I AM that selfish. But you knew that already. The first night we met is not all that you remember.
- --- Growing Pains
- Elena: Why am I thinking about you?
- Damon: Because you're a vampire now. And part of you knows that you're more like me than you are like him.
- --- The Rager
- Elena: So he didn't tell you why?
- Damon: Nope. But I'm sure it has something to do with you acting weird so... why don't you tell me?
- Elena: You.
- Elena: Jeremy can't live with me, Stefan wants to fix me and Caroline flat out admitted that she doesn't like me this way. I think it's safe to say that I'm not so great at this vampire thing.
- Damon: Wanna know what I think? I don't think I've ever seen you more alive.
- Elena: That dance that they did today, kind of reminded me of..
- Damon: When we danced together.
- Elena: I wanted to dance with you today.
- --- My Brother's Keeper
- Elena: Hey.
- Damon: Hey back.
- Elena: How was your night?
- Damon: Awful. Yours?
- Elena: Same.
- Damon: Elena, um... we need to talk.
- Elena: I know that I'm sired to you, Damon.Caroline told me. That's what you and Stefan were doing, isn't it? Is there a way to break it?
- Damon: Not exactly. Which is why we need to talk.
- Elena: Tyler told me the bond doesn't affect how I feel, just the way I act. My feelings for you haven't changed, Damon. Nothing has changed.
- Damon: Everything has changed, Elena.
- Elena: Okay, fine, yeah, I mean, I've changed. So have you, Damon. And I'm happy. Just like you were yesterday morning before we knew about any of this.
- Damon: You know what would make me happy? To know that this entire time that I've been completely in love with you; that what you actually felt for me; was real.
- Elena: It is real. I know that it is. Damon, I know what you're about to do. Please, don't do this to me.
- Damon: I don't want to do this, Elena. I'm not the good guy, remember? I'm the selfish one. I take what I want. I do what I want. I lie to my brother, I fall in love with his girl, I don't do the right thing.But I have to do the right thing by you.
- (Elena takes Damon's hand and places it against her heart.)
- Elena: Does this feel wrong?
- (Elena places one of her hands against Damon's cheek.)
- Elena: Does this feel wrong?
- --- We'll Always Have Bourbon Street
- Damon: I told him I would set you free. Right after I didn't tell him that we slept together
- Elena: So what do you wanna do?
- Damon: I wanna throw you back in my bed and never let you leave.
- Elena: So do it.
- (Elena's phone is ringing)
- Damon: Saved by the cell phone.
- Elena: Last time I was here I was so completely in love with Stefan. Now that's barely a memory. Is that the sire bond or just that I'm so happy to be here with you?
- Damon: I was supposed to do the right thing by you and the right thing by my brother. Which is what I'm gonna do right now. You're gonna go home.
- Elena: What? No, Damon...
- Damon: I'm gonna stay here with Jeremy. I'm gonna help him complete the mark. I'll teach him how to hunt. I'll protect him. And we'll kill vampires without you.
- Elena: Damon, please...
- Damon: I'm setting you free, Elena. This is what I want. This is what will make me happy.
- --- O Come, All Ye Faithful
- Elena: I didn't sleep with Damon because of the sire bond. I slept with Damon because I'm in love with him.
- Elena: Being with Damon makes me happy.When I'm with him... it feels unpredictable, like... like I'm free.
- Elena: I realized something today....about you......about us....And you can say that it's the sire bond. You know what?....Maybe it is. BUT I'm telling you it's the most real thing..that I've ever felt in my entire life...I love you... Damon....... I love you.
- Damon: Look...I'm gonna get this cure for you.........And I'm gonna have to do things that you are not going to like.
- Elena: Damon.....
- Damon: Listen carefully,....Get in your car, right now and COME TO ME.
- Elena: I'll be there soon.
- ---- After School Special
- Elena: Because I love you. Because you love me. You'd do anything for me.
- Damon: I'm sorry, Elena.
- --- Catch Me If You Can
- Elena: That’s what you do Damon, you think you don’t deserve something so you ruin it. I’m not gonna let you pull that this time! Take the cure with me! That’s how much I know this is real, that’s how certain I am that I’m gonna love you even after all this is over. Take the cure. Be human with me. We can be together, grow old together… this doesn’t have to be hard anymore.
- Damon: You know, I used to miss being human. Now I can’t think of anything more miserable on earth.
- --- Into the Wild
- Elena: Be honest; you like me better like this.
- --- Bring It On
- Stefan: You, my friend, will be right by her side, ready to help her through it.
- Damon: I wanted to apologize.
- Elena: Good.
- Damon: Let me finish. I said I wanted to. And then I realized, I'm not sorry.
- Elena: You would rather die than be human, and you expect me to be okay with that?
- Damon: I didn't say you were supposed to be okay with it, I just said I'm not sorry. But you know what I really am? Selfish, because I make bad choices that hurt you. Yes, I would rather have died than be human. I'd rather die right now than spend a handful of years with you, only to lose you when I'm too old and sick and miserable and you're still you. I'd rather die right now than spend my last final years remembering how good I had it and how happy I was, because that's who I am, Elena, and I'm not gonna change. And there's no apology in the world that encompasses all the reasons that I'm wrong for you.
- Elena: Fine, then I'm not sorry either. I'm not sorry that I met you. I'm not sorry that knowing you has made me question everything, that in death you're the one that made me feel most alive. You've been a terrible person, you've made all the wrong choices, and of all the choices that I've made this will prove to be the worst one. But I am not sorry that I'm in love with you. I love you, Damon. I love you.
- Damon: You okay?
- Elena: Yeah, I've just got this feeling like something bad's about to happen.
- Damon: Well, it is. You're leaving tomorrow. You're trading all this for communal showers and a meal plan.
- Elena: Can't you just be a normal boyfriend and support me as I attempt to have a normal college experience?
- Damon: I'd rather ply you with champagne, and spend the night convincing you to stay.
- Damon: And, for the record, I am secure enough in our relationship that you having psychic dreams about your ex-boyfriend does not bother me (They kiss)...but it still sucks. (They kiss)
- Elena: I love you. We're gonna save Stefan, and... I'm still gonna love you, okay? (They kiss)
- ---True Lies
- Damon: What, you think I am? I mean, no one tells me how I live my life, no one tells me who I love, especially not some vindictive prehistoric witch, and definitely not the universe. And I'm not gonna let someone else's idea of destiny stop me from loving you or being with you or building a future with you, because... You are my life.
- ---Original Sin
- Damon: People are full of surprises. (Elena buries her head between her arms, laying face down on the floor.) Oh, hey. (He approaches the bars that separate them.) I am so, so sorry I got you caught up in this. (He reaches for her hand.) Hey. Look at me. Hey. (She looks up.) But I promise you I will get you out of here, okay? Okay? (She holds his hand with both of hers.) I'll get you out of here.
- Elena: Wes is gonna come back down here, and we'll both be the newest Augustine experiment. You have to tell me how you got out of here, Damon.
- Damon: You don't want to know, Elena.
- Elena: Why? You think I'm gonna judge you? Damon, I love you. I love you, and these people tortured you for 5 years. Whatever you had to do, I don't care.
- ---The Cell
- Elena: My dad used his research to save people, Damon, children, families.
- Damon: Yeah. And dissected vampires along the way. News flash, Elena. You are a vampire. I mean, do you honestly think that he would sit here and see you as anything more?
- Elena: I don't know. He was my dad. I can't not defend him.
- Damon: No. I know you can't because you do it for me all the time.
- Elena: I'm not defending you. I'm not defending your decision to kill Aaron's entire family, to go out of town and kill the aunt while we were still together.
- Damon: So why are you still here? I’m bad, Elena, I am bad for you, so why wouldn't you have run away from me as far as humanly possible?
- Elena: Because I love you, Damon. Because I chose you, and because I stand by my choice.
- Damon: Well, now I’m choosing, and I’m choosing to let you go.
- Elena: What? No, Damon.
- Damon: I am choosing to not have to think about how you must feel every time some ghost from my past comes into our life. I’m choosing to relieve you of having to defend me for every awful thing I have ever done.
- Elena: Stop acting like I’m perfect. Damon, I've done horrible things, too. You think I’m gonna stand here and judge you after I find out that you have been tortured for 5 years?
- Damon: Stop defending me! I won’t change who I am. I can’t. But I refuse to change you.
- ---Fifty Shades of Grayson
- Stefan: You know, whatever's going on with you and Elena, you need to fix it. She's the best thing that ever happened to you.
- Damon: You think I don't know that? I can't live without her, but when you think about it, I'm no better than Katherine. Elena will be happier without me.
- ---500 Years of Solitude
- Damon: You are literally the best person I've ever known and for me to think I could change you gives me way too much credit; and you not nearly enough. You are the best influence on me. I need you. You are the good and I need a little good in my life. Because without it, there's an awful lot of darkness.
- ---Damon to Katherine impersonating Elena in The Devil Inside
- Damon: Hey you.
- Elena: Hey you.
- Damon: So eaten anyone yet?
- Elena: Nope! So far, I am symptom free, although Stefan still has me on the, uhh, Damon diet. Just in case.
- Damon: Ahhh. Yeah. It sucks. You're going to be craving carbs constantly, but hey, you know what? There's a plus side. You get to keep your girlish figure.
- Elena: Hey, I'm calling you on a payphone.
- Damon: Well, how retro of you! Does that mean you memorized my phone number?
- Elena: Maybe... Katherine put a password on my cell, so I can't use it.
- Damon: Ahhhhh! That would explain all those crazy instagram pics you've been uploading lately.
- Elena: What?
- Damon: Kidding! Kidding!
- Elena: Damon! That's not funny! I have no idea what I've been doing for the last three weeks.
- Damon: I know, I'm sorry. Well, what'd you want to know? I'll tell you.
- Elena: How did she do it?
- Damon: How did she do what?
- Elena: Break your heart.
- Damon: Oh that I don't know. It's not like it has been playing on a loop in my head over and over again. So, I don't really remember.
- Elena: I'm so sorry. I really am. I mean the last thing I remember, I was running into your arms and—and I felt so safe.
- Damon: Well, it was all downhill from there.
- Elena: I wanted to fight for you. I still do.
- Damon: Oh, Elena, the second we’re cured of this and we don’t wanna rip each other’s heads off, I am gonna hunt you down and give you the most mind-blowing night of your life.
- Elena: I think I could schedule you in.
- Damon: I should come over there.
- Elena: You can't. We would tear each other apart, remember? Besides, I look gross.
- Damon: Oh yeah? Well... never mind. That would be awful.
- Elena: Distract me.
- Damon: Alright. What are you wearing?
- Elena: Damon... Come on.
- Elena: You should've noticed.
- Damon: What?
- Elena: That I was Katherine, Katherine was me. You should've been the one that noticed.
- Damon: You don't think I know that?
- Elena: If only you'd seen through her, Damon. There would be no vampire virus, Aaron would still be alive.
- Damon: Katherine didn't do this. I did! I thought you broke my heart, so I ripped open Aaron's neck: THAT is how much control you have over me.
- Elena: And I'm still here! That's how much control you have over me!
- Damon: Listen to us! This is toxic! We are in a toxic relationship, Elena! I just killed your friend and you find someone else to blame!
- Elena: You want me to blame you? Easy! Done! You screwed up, Damon. Again!
- Damon: Thank you!
- Elena: You put me in a position where I have to defend you—again. Where I have to bend my morals—again. Where I have to go against every single thing that I believe in—again—because I love you!
- Damon: Then stop loving me!
- Elena: I can’t!
- Damon: Well, that’s the problem. We don’t work!
- Elena: I know.
- Damon: Then we agree. This has to end.
- Elena: It just did. It’s over. We’re over.
- (They stand there and stare into each other's eyes for a second until Damon kisses her and they end up having break up sex)
- ---While You Were Sleeping
- Elena: Just because Jeremy's a bad student, it doesn't mean that he's cheating on Bonnie.
- Damon: You're making excuses for someone you love. That's what you do. The worse the behavior, the more you try to defend it.
- Elena: And you keep trying to make this about us.
- Damon: Because you keep trying to make it about anything else!
- Elena: You know what? Fine, but don't pretend you came here for Jeremy. If you wanna talk about last night, talk!
- Damon: Here's the thing, Elena; I don't know what to say, or do, or think.. All I know is that right now... I want to rip your clothes off, right here in the middle of this hall and throw you into one of these classrooms and kiss every square inch of your body, while a bunch of people that drive mini-vans listen wishing they were us. That's probably a bad idea, right?
- Elena (with quivering lips): Right.
- Damon: Right. See you in class.
- Damon: Something tells me you're not packing for our honeymoon.
- Elena: I'm going back to campus.
- Damon: You realize that you leaving doesn't solve anything, right? I mean, especially now that Jeremy's free and clear of our horrible influence.
- Elena: It's not about Jeremy. It's about us. It's not just that we're bad for each other. It's just that when we're together, we do bad things for each other. And I can't live like that.
- Damon: I'll drive you to Whitmore.
- Elena: If you do that, then I'm going to spend the whole car ride thinking about your hand next to mine and even though I'll try, I won't be able to stop myself from taking it. Or from letting you kiss me. And we're never going to get to where we need to go, we'll just end up back here, where we started. That's why I need you to let me go.
- (Damon walks over to Elena and puts his hands on her face)
- Elena: Damon...
- (Instead of kissing her on the lips, he kisses her on the forehead and lets her go.)
- Damon: Travel safe.
- ---Rescue Me
- Elena: What are you doing out here?
- Damon: Ahh... you know. Looking at the stars, listening to the universe laugh at me.
- Elena: Damon...
- Damon: We were doomed from the beginning Elena. We were always gonna end up here.
- Elena: Damon, they are just visions. As soon as we find Markos they will stop.
- Damon: And then what? We are friends? Can't wait.
- Elena: Look I know we are in a little bit of weird place right now. Hey look at me! The universe doesn't control anything. It's not real.
- Damon: I think we need some rules here because If I am not allowed to drive you home then I definitely don't think you are allowed to ambush me in my bedroom.
- Elena: I just... I just wanted to say thank you. Whatever you did it worked.
- Damon: Oh, I'm sorry to tear you away from paradise.
- Elena: It was paradise actually.
- Damon: I told you I don't want to know.
- Elena: But you need to know. I saw a perfect life. Stefan and I were married with kids. It was everything that we wanted.
- Damon: Well we can always ask Markos to put it back.
- Elena: But its not real. You and I, we are messy and complicated but we are real.
- Damon: And really bad for each other. Did you forget that part?
- Elena: Yeah but I still need you in my life.
- Damon: As friends right? No Elena I can't be your friend. It's too damn hard.
- Elena: Damon...
- Damon: No! I'm serious Elena. I can't see you anymore. I don't wanna hear your voice, I don't wanna talk to you, I don't even wanna look at you. And I'm sure as hell don't wanna be your friend.
- Elena: If that's what you want...
- Damon: That's what I want.
- Elena: Okay... yeah... Okay.
- ---Resident Evil
- Elena: Hey.
- Damon: Hey. We're leaving. Pack your stuff.
- Elena: I will. I just came out to see how you're doing.
- Damon: I'm in a hurry. You should be, too. The Travelers can find us.
- Elena: So that's it? We're not gonna talk about this?
- Damon: What's there to talk about?
- Elena: I'm sorry that I lied to you.
- Damon: I don't care that you lied. Really.
- Elena: Okay, I'm confused. Why are you being like this?
- Damon: Because you were right, Elena. You wanted to protect me so I wouldn't spiral because if I spiraled then it would prove that we shouldn't be together... But I didn't spiral! Despite every nerve in my body wanting to break something or hurt someone or do all the wrong things for all the right reasons, I'm holding it together the best I can—for you.
- Elena: But you're still mad at me?
- Damon: Of course I'm still mad at you. Because being around you drives me nuts—and not being around you drives me nuts.
- Elena: Okay. Now I'm really confused.
- (After a long moment, Damon moves toward Elena and kisses her passionately.)
- Elena: What was that for?
- Damon: Because I've had a really crappy day, and I needed it.
- ---What Lies Beneath
- (Elena kisses Damon)
- Damon: What was that for?
- Elena: I've had a really crappy day, and I needed it. I thought I was never gonna see you again... and I couldn't think of a worse way to die.
- Damon: Oh. Well, I guess today's your lucky day.
- ---Promised Land
- Damon: Listen... I wanted to spare you the gory details, and then I figured, well, I'll be lying, and then the whole point of the universe would be moot because you'd be pissed. So here it is, project kaboom needs someone to trigger the explosion, so-to-speak.
- Elena: Okay... Wait... You? No. Damon, no! Absolutely not.
- Damon: Go with your first instinct, Damon, lesson learned.
- Elena: Look at me, Damon.
- (She grabs him by the face and forces him to look into her eyes)
- Elena: Do you see a future with me? Because that's all I see.
- Damon: Elena, I've seen it since the second I laid my eyes on you.
- Elena: Then don't go on a suicide mission!
- Damon: Listen... technically, it's only half a suicide mission because we're going to be bringing people back from the other side and I'm going to be with them.
- Elena: Well, what if something goes wrong?
- Damon: Alright... not to relive old fights, but—this is my choice. I need you to respect it.
- Elena: That was a low blow...
- Damon: I will make it back to you, I promise.
- (Elena looks at him for a moment and then kisses him passionately)
- Damon: I promise you.
- Elena: You lied to me.
- (Damon goes over and stroke's Elena's hair and face. She feels it, but can not see his hand)
- Damon: Even if I wanted to apologize, you couldn't hear me... so I won't.
- Elena: Please don't leave me.
- Damon: I don't have a choice, baby. You are, by far, the greatest thing that has ever happened to me in my 173 years on this Earth. The fact that I get to die knowing I was loved—not just by anyone—but by you, Elena Gilbert. It's the epitome of a fulfilled life. It’s never gonna get any better than this. I peaked.
- (Damon wipes the tears from her face)
- Damon: I love you, Elena
- Elena: Please... please... come back to me.
- Damon: Bye.
- Elena: I tried to grieve him, Caroline. Trust me, I know grief. I've got grieving down to a science at this point, and I tried. But every time I let it sink in that I'm never gonna see him again, I feel like I'm gonna die.
- Elena: I don't think I can live forever without him.
- Elena: You can't be here.You're not even real. It's just my subconscious making me see what I want to see.
- Damon: One call from my brother and you're gonna throw all this away?
- Elena: You know I want to see you, Damon. But it makes me reckless. I hurt people.
- Damon: So, why am I here? Do you want to move on? Move on.
- Elena: I never got to say thank you.
- Damon: For what?
- Elena: For saving Stefan and... For bringing back Alaric and Tyler. Thank you.
- Damon: Elena...
- Elena: No, I'm not done yet. I want to thank you for giving me everything I always wanted.A love that consumed me. And passion.Adventure. There's nothing more I could ever want other than for it to last forever, but...It can't. This is the last time I'm gonna see you. This is good-bye, Damon. I love you. I have to let go.
- (Elena kisses Damon and expects him to be gone but he is still there.)
- Damon: You're still holding on.
- Elena: I... no. I...I said good-bye, Damon.
- Damon: I don't blame you.You know what's waiting for you. How long before you go running back to Luke?
- Elena: No. I told you. That was the last time, Damon, I'm done.
- Damon: An eternity of torment, agony, and grief. And you feel it all.
- Elena: Stop it, Damon. Stop it, stop it. You're getting in my head. Don't do this. Please.
- Damon: You'll feel it forever.
- Elena: No!
- Alaric: Honestly, Elena...I hate everything about being a vampire.
- Elena: Me, too. At least I did. Then one day, I discovered the good part. You know, the promise that love could be eternal .And I had that with Damon. Which means for the rest of eternity, I'm gonna have a hole in my heart where he's supposed to be.
- ---I'll Remember
- Alaric: Are you afraid?
- Elena: More sad than afraid.
- Alaric: Why sad?
- Elena: Because I don't want to stop loving him.
- Alaric: And when did you first meet him?
- Elena: I was in high school.
- Alaric: And what was he like?
- Elena: There was something different about him, dangerous. But not in a way that scared me. He was exciting.
- Alaric: And how did he make you feel?
- Elena: Like anything was possible.
- Elena: It was the Miss Mystic Falls pageant. Stefan was supposed to be my escort but he bailed on me. Damon stepped in. He saved me from being embarrassed, in front of everyone. He took my arm, and led me out with the rest of the girls and all their dates and we danced. I remember that was the first time, I felt it.
- Alaric: Felt what?
- Elena: How sexy he was. I'd never let myself notice until then, I mean obviously I knew he was attractive but...I didn't want to see him that way.
- Elena: Maybe it was when we spent the night at the motel together, I wasn't back together with Stefan yet and all I could think about was kissing him. I wanted to kiss him so badly.
- Elena: It was my birthday. Damon and I spent the entire summer looking for Stefan. And I was trying to put on a good face because Caroline was throwing this party for me but I was just so sad. I was two seconds from deciding that I wasn't going to go, I wasn't going to leave the room. Until Damon walked in to give me my birthday gift. It was the necklace that Stefan had given me, I'd lost it. And Damon knew what the necklace meant to me. What it meant about my feelings for Stefan. Even though he loved me. He gave me the one thing that represented hope for me and his brother. I knew how much it hurt him. But he did it. It was the most selfless that he's ever been, and in that moment I loved him. I didn't want to, I mean, it terrified me but, for that moment I loved him.
- ---Yellow Ledbetter
- Stefan: I'm sorry that I can't just forget him like you, Elena.
- Elena: No one's forgetting him.
- Stefan: You are. You erased him.
- Elena: What are you talking about?
- Stefan: You had Alaric compel you to forget every good thing that Damon ever did. You made him a monster in your own mind because you couldn't handle the grief of losing him.
- Elena: I don't believe anything that you're saying. Why would I do that?
- Stefan: Because you were in love with him and he was in love with you. And when Damon died, a part of you died too.
- Elena: Wow. What? No. Stefan, how can I possibly love Damon?
- Stefan: Believe me, I asked myself that for a very long time. And eventually I saw it. Damon inspired you. He pushed you to own the darkest parts of yourself. And when you died, he was the only one that could made you feel alive again. And you made him feel human. You loved Damon for the same reasons that I loved Damon. Because in spite of every single thing he did, we couldn't live without him. Now you don't have to - but I do. So, I do it my way. You do it yours.
- Elena's diary: Dear me, if you're reading this than somebody spilled the beans about your selective memory loss. My mind is on Caroline. Yes, you loved Damon. You loved him with a passion that consumed you. And then when Damon died, the void you feeled was too deep, too dark. Facing an eternity without your soulmate you went of the deep end. You turned into someone that you weren't. A monster. Alaric will restore your last memories - all you have to do is ask. But I hope that you don't. I tried it the other way and I didn't see an end to the pain. I want you to rediscover yourself in absence of who defined you. If you feel any hope for the future at all, then you're already better off. You've been given a chance to start over. I want you to take it. I want you to be happy.
- ---Black Hole Sun
- Start Up: My Brother’s Keeper (4x07)
- Break Up: Fifty Shades of Grayson (5x10)
- Reason: Damon thinks he is bad and doesn't want Elena to always find a explanation for his actions and defend him, so he lets her go despite the fact that they both are still in love with each other and breaks her heart.
Post Break-Up Sex
- Start Up: While You Were Sleeping (5x16)
- Ended: Rescue Me (5x17)
- Reason: Elena asks Damon to let her go because she believes that when they are together they do bad things for each other and that she can't control herself around him. Damon kisses her forehead and lets her go.