|Elena and Damon|
Delena, DE, Dex
Lovers, Soulmates; In Love, They are the love of each other's lives, Made love, She is his life, They see a future together (they want to have a human life married with kids together), Passionate feelings; Former Enemies, Allies; Elena fell for him all over again even after losing her memories of loving him, Protective of each other, Damon is always there for her, Elena has never abandoned him, Damon will always choose her, Can't live without each other, Elena was the only one who thought Damon was worth loving, Elena chose Damon over Stefan
May 23, 2009 (before Pilot)
Soulmates, Best Friends, Lovers; Separated (Elena is under a sleeping spell)
|“||Before her, I didn't know what it was like to be happy. To be fulfilled. To be complete.||”|
The relationship between the cured vampire/human doppelgänger, Elena Gilbert and the vampire, Damon Salvatore, is a greatly complicated but popular powerful romantic pairing, and a significant relationship in the series.
Though initially started on antagonistic terms, their relationship develops throughout the series. He was the narcissistic evil vampire, who came to town to seek revenge on his younger brother, who Elena happened to develop an interest in. When everyone had written Damon off as a bad guy who couldn't be redeemed, Elena, who was unafraid of him and willing to call him on his crap, saw something in him that hinted he wasn't entirely evil. And so there marked the start of a tentative yet beautiful friendship. Over the seasons, their bond continues to grow, from becoming allies to friends to best friends and ultimately lovers. He’s always saving her from danger and she’s saving him from his dark self, they both care deeply for each other, regardless of any obstacles that may come in their way
They both love each other with a passion that consumes them. For him, she is the best thing that has ever happened to him, his life. For her, he is the one that defines her, her soulmate. Damon wants to give up his vampire status to marry her and be the father of her kids.
They are known as "Delena" by fans.
- "Drawn together and not pulling away."
- —Describing their relationship
- "Because of Damon's feelings for Elena, thinking that, for the very first time in his life that he has a home, Elena is the one who helped Damon find his home and his home is Elena."
- —Kevin Williamson
- "The one thing I do want to see filmed and I'll say it because it hasn't happened yet and it may never happen, but I do want to see and I will go on the record to every Stelena fan in the world, I do want to see Damon and Elena get it on."
- —Kevin Williamson
- "That's the journey, I don't just want to throw them together tomorrow. I'd be sad. I want to see the kiss, I want to see the sweaty palms, I want to see it all go down."
- —Kevin Williamson
- "Even before anything happened in our series, Elena had been touched in her soul by this man."
- —Julie Plec
- "This year, she's had a very traumatic roller coaster of life experience and it's changed her irrevocably—and at the center of it all was the die hard belief that she loved Damon, that she loved him more than she'd ever loved anyone."
- —Julie Plec
- "I think that's what makes them as a couple so powerful. Even if the story line is them not dating, it's still a love story."
- —Caroline Dries
- "It was going to be something beautiful and epic, so the rain was a way of us [honoring] this group of fans who spent five years begging for this one thing. … I think it’s because of The Notebook … oh, and Spider-Man. Basically, there’s something about people coming together in the rain that’s the ultimate expression of love in the minds of most audiences."
- —Julie Plec
- "The show was so Delena-heavy. And their love was such an epic love and such a big story point for so many years that it's a strange dynamic now to have all that gone. Which is kind of what makes it interesting, because it's an Elena we've never seen before.""
- —Nina Dobrev
- "At the end of the day, it is for love and he's going to try everything he can to get her back and win her back."
- —Ian Somerhalder
- "They’ve been through a lot. Love trumps all. So when you see, you want it to win."
- —Ian Somerhalder
- "I think they're a pretty damn epic television couple."
- —Ian Somerhalder
Damon came back to Mystic Falls with the sole purpose of bringing back Katherine Pierce, the vampire with whom he had fallen in love as a human in 1864. However, after realizing that Katherine had secretly escaped the tomb but hadn't cared enough about him to find him, he resented her. He begins to fall for his younger brother Stefan's girlfriend, also Katherine's doppelgänger, Elena. His love for Elena makes him want to protect his birthtown instead of destroying it, as was his original purpose when he arrived. They form a rocky friendship.
Elena constantly forgives Damon from doing horrible things to her, such as killing her younger brother Jeremy (although he came back to life) or feeding her vampire blood (essentially ending her human life). Elena has admitted she sees the good in Damon and believes he's worth saving. Elena begins to reciprocate Damon's feelings for her, though continues to love Stefan.
Their friendship deepens, leading to them becoming best friends. Elena cares whether Damon lives or dies, and even when she chooses Stefan over him, Damon continues to still be there for her when she needs somebody and feels she can't turn to Stefan about it. Damon has never lied to her and would always tell her the truth, although he has admitted that he will lie to her if it saves her life.
After becoming a vampire, Elena breaks up with Stefan as her feelings for Damon had become too strong for her to ignore. Elena and Damon sleep together after she admits to her feelings. It's discovered that because Elena had feelings for Damon when she was human and it was his blood which turned her, a sire bond has been created between them. Damon begins to doubt her feelings for him and believes they are solely built on the sire bond. After being compelled by Rebekah to tell the truth, Elena reveals that she is no longer in love with Stefan and is instead in love with Damon. She later confesses this to him, stating that it's the most real thing she's ever felt. After Jeremy dies, Damon uses the sire bond to get Elena to turn her emotions off, knowing that the pain would be too much for her. She loses all feelings she has for him as a result, but continues a relationship with him solely for manipulation, later telling him her feelings were all due to the sire bond. Damon's willing to do anything to get her emotions back, including torturing her and killing Matt (although he was brought back to life), which eventually proved successful.
Elena later chooses between Damon and Stefan for the second time, this time choosing Damon, since she had fallen out of love with Stefan. She confirms her love for Damon during a heartfelt confession from them both, and they kiss. Damon's later proud as he says to Alaric, "I got the girl."
Their relationship lasts the whole summer and briefly becomes long distance when she begins attending college. After realizing how he's changing her, he decides to break up with her, causing her great heartbreak. Stefan makes Damon realize how stupid he was acting and he decides to try and win her back. However, when he finally tells her, he's unaware that Katherine has taken over Elena's body when she rejects him. This sends him off the deep end and he becomes guilty when he finds out the truth. After he tells her the truth, they mutually decide to end their relationship as they realize they have too much control over each other. However they end up sleeping together. But after that, Elena tells Damon that he has to let her go until they can figure things out.
As Markos, the Travelers' leader finally makes his appearance, Elena and Stefan begin to have visions of a life that they would never have. Damon is hurt by this but Elena lets him know that the universe doesn't control anything and that her and Damon are real, not those visions. She tries to be friends with him but he refuses and they try to avoid one another which turns out to be impossible. After getting kidnapped by Markos, nearly dying and with a little encouragement from Stefan she tells Damon that she thought she would never see him again and couldn't think of a worse way to die and so they both rekindle their relationship. In the finale of Season Five, in order to bring Stefan back from the Other Side, Damon and Elena go on a suicide mission. However, when the resurrection spell starts, Damon is unable to come back from the Other Side. Knowing that the Other Side is disintegrating and there is no other way for Damon to return, Elena breaks down completely. A ghost Damon confesses to her that she is the greatest thing that ever happened to him and the fact that he will die knowing he was loved by Elena Gilbert is the epitome of a fulfilled life. Damon says I love you and leaves while Elena continues to cry and pleas with him to return to her.
Months after Damon's death, Elena desperately mourns him. During that time, Elena had been using a witch drug that allowed her to hallucinate Damon as she does not want to believe that he's dead. Unable to go on with the memory of Damon, Elena has Alaric erase every good memory she has of him and doesn't remember loving him until she finally learns the truth from Stefan. After Damon's return from death, Elena tries to avoid him but changes her mind and decides that she wants her memories of him back. However, Alaric becomes human because of crossing the anti magic border and is unable to give Elena her memories. At first, Elena tries to move on but then realizes she can't seem to shake her feelings for Damon. They both decide to make new memories and start their relationship anew. As they started to bond, Elena began to see the good side of Damon as he worked hard to bring Bonnie back from the Prison World.
During their new relationship, Elena continued to fall for Damon and eventually got back together with him after the death of Liz, which made her feel that life was too short, wanting to live her life to the fullest with him. During the growing love between the two, Bonnie managed to escaped the Prison World and give Damon the cure which Damon planned to get before. As time went by, he still hadn't told Elena about the cure and started to question his future together with Elena. Eventually, his mother who was revealed to still be alive and was stuck in a prison world, stole the cure from Damon and put it in a place that Elena would find it. Damon and Elena talked about why he hid the cure from her because he didn't want to lose her and eventually chose to take the cure with her. Elena not wanting Damon to decide so quickly and resent her one day, knowing how much he loves being a vampire, asks for Stefan's help, to show Damon a brutal human life with Elena. After watching an elderly couple, Damon made his final decision to take the cure. He would give up his vampire status to marry Elena and be the father or their children. As soon as Alaric and Jo's wedding took place, Kai killed Jo and attacked everyone, putting Elena into a coma. Kai revealed that he linked Elena and Bonnie together. As long as Bonnie lives, Elena won't wake from her sleep; so until Bonnie dies, Elena will wake. Damon made the selfless choice of saving Bonnie's life, making Elena proud of him. They shared their final moments together with a dance and a kiss. Damon will wait for Elena until the day she wakes.
- "You want a love that consumes you. You want passion and adventure, and even a little danger...I want you to get everything you're looking for."
- —Damon to Elena
Damon first met Elena the night her parents died. She met Damon in the middle of the road, and at first, he mistook her for Katherine. They started talking and even flirted a little. He told her that she wanted a love that consumed her, a love that was passionate, and a love that was a little dangerous. And then he told her that he wanted her to have everything she wanted. After their moonlit conversation, Elena's parents had arrived and Damon compelled her to forget it ever happened. They were later reunited in The Night of the Comet, but she didn't remember him. This also explains the reason how Damon knew who Elena was when they met in the Salvatore Boarding House. Elena admitted in The Departed, that if she had met Damon first, things might have gone different between them and she would have chosen him over Stefan. This memory resurfaces after Elena transitioned into a vampire in Growing Pains.
Throughout the Vampire Diaries Series
- "Fine, then I'm not sorry either. I'm not sorry that I met you. I'm not sorry that knowing you has made me question everything, that in death you're the one that made me feel most alive. You've been a terrible person, you've made all the wrong choices, and of all the choices that I've made this will prove to be the worst one. But I am not sorry that I'm in love with you. I love you, Damon. I love you."
- —Elena about Damon
At the start of Season Four, [[Damon Salvatore|Damon] is with Elena and Stefan in Elena's room, explaining to her that she died with vampire blood (Damon's blood) in her system and that she is now a vampire. He talks to them harshly and tells Elena to feed or die. Later on, she sees Damon in her room, but realizes she's remembering the scene from Rose, where Damon tells her he loves her and he doesn't deserve her then compelled her to forget. She then seems to be shocked by this.
When Damon nearly kills Matt, Elena attacks Damon and saying, "Leave him alone!". She tells him she remembers everything, including the fact that she met him first. She eludes to the fact that it wouldn't change anything, but she has to take it a bit further. She asks him what he would have done if he was in Stefan's position and he tells the truth only Damon would tell: he'd let Matt die to save her because he's selfish. He's so selfish, that he'd take someone else's life to give Elena the one she wanted: a human life. And that single factor changes everything. Damon has always been selfish and destructive, but one great reason Elena's answer had to be Stefan hearkened back to the time when Damon just couldn't understand why she'd choose death over vampirism. He tells her "I would have saved you in a heartbeat; no question. You would have gotten to grow up and had the life that you wanted, the life that you deserved. I wanted that for you, Elena, and I would have gladly given it to you and let Matt die because I AM that selfish."Now that he gets that and Elena remembers everything, the love triangle has once again found a way to ignite even further.
In Memorial, Damon tells Elena that she's a vampire now so be a vampire. In the Grill, she asks for him for help because she can't keep the animal blood down. He takes her to the bathroom and offers her his blood and she ultimately agrees to feed on his blood but he also tells her not to tell Stefan because it's "personal".
On the way to the church, Damon gets a call from Elena telling him to hurry as she needs help because she needs a change of clothes and that someone's outside the bathroom while she's throwing up his blood. He gets there in time before Connor attacks. He brings her the blood bags that she asked him to bring but as she starts throwing it up, he comforts her. As they are having a very close moment, they are interrupted by the church bells and Elena tells him she has to get in the church. But Elena and Damon are still closer than ever, and the sexual tension between them has even increased as Elena's emotions were heightened.
In The Rager, Elena is in Damon's room "supposedly" looking for bourbon but he knows that she is lying as she wants the white oak stake. He starts undressing in front of her and then asking her if she’d like to stay for the show and she walks out. Later, Elena has hallucinations of Damon, he'd told her the reason she was seeing him was because she knew she was more like him than Stefan now, that was Elena admitting it to herself. If she has to feed from the vein to survive, she needs Damon to teach her how.
Near the end of the episode, Elena fed on Matt again and would've killed him this time had Damon not shown up to stop her. He compelled Matt to forget about Elena going overboard and told Elena he was going to teach her the right way to be a vampire. Then he comforts her.
In The Five, Elena and Damon tag along with Bonnie on a college road trip. Bonnie is going to meet with the professor who took over Grams’ classes, while Damon teaches Elena to hunt. Damon picks out a blonde girl for her, and Elena catches up with her after class. She compels the girl, but as she is about to bite into her wrist, Elena sees a photo on the girl’s phone of her and her baby sister. She can’t do it. Luckily there is a frat party that night, so finding someone to feed off of shouldn’t be hard.
At the party, Elena immediately finds the boy she wants to eat. She lures him away easily and drinks deeply. Damon supervises, and begins to worry that she is drinking too much. She stops herself, and proudly hugs Damon. But she wants more. Back on the dance floor, the two split up and drink from anyone unlucky enough to dance with them. Elena and Damon then come together, both with bloody mouths, and dance together seductively, on a blood high. Elena catches sight of Bonnie and immediately feels guilty for enjoying herself.
As Elena says, “I should be here with Stefan.” Damon steps outside in time to hear that last bit. Bonnie accuses him of wanting Elena to go over the edge. He argues that she needs to learn to revel in being a vampire. Not hating herself and enjoying it will be the only way she, like him, can make feeding fun and not go nuts and kill hundreds of people. Damon walks away hurt and Elena begins to cry as she realizes what she has done to him. He accompanies her home and she apologizes for letting things get out of hand at the party then accidentally hurts his feelings by saying she hates thinking that he’s right about what a vampire is supposed to be. “Because you don’t want to be like me,” Damon finishes.
In The Killer, Damon came to see Elena because Stefan was dodging his calls. We found out Elena hadn't told Stefan about dirty dancing with Damon after she got high on blood at the Murder House Party. Damon knows she's in a shame spiral filled with newbie vampire remorse, but Elena still wouldn't admit it to anyone but her diary. When Stefan wouldn't answer a call from Elena's cell, they realized something must be wrong. Damon later found Alaric's map of the tunnels that conveniently provide an entrance to the Grill. Since Connor doesn't know she's a vampire yet, Elena wanted to offer to trade herself for the hostages. Damon rightfully thought that was a stupid idea because she's not ready to go up against a professional killer. A mock fight ensued that ended with Elena straddling Damon on the bed. She said Jeremy was the only thing holding her together, and he promised they'd get him out. After Stefan had to vervain Damon, he woke up and she wanted him to go to the Grill, but Stefan had taken his day ring, so he couldn't. Elena decided she was going, and Damon told her to use the fact that Connor doesn't know she's a vampire to get as close as she could before making her move. When Elena was digging a grave to bury Connor in the woods, she sobbed when Stefan and Damon showed up. But she's angry at Stefan for lying to her.In We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes, after Elena kills Connor in the last episode, she starts having hallucinations and nearly kills Jeremy. She calls Damon, not Stefan, for help, because she doesn't trust Stefan anymore but still trusts Damon. "What am I going to say to him?” Elena asks the next morning. Still bloody from the night before, she paces and waits for Jeremy to wake from the dead. Damon replies, “How about thanks for not ditching the family ring even after it drove Ric crazy.” Damon repeatedly suggests that Elena call Stefan to come help her deal. She refuses, saying, “He’s been lying to me and hiding things from me. He compelled Jeremy to forget God knows what.” A second later, Stefan walks in. Damon admits calling him. Meanwhile, Damon cleans the kitchen and Elena tries to shower off the memory of stabbing Jeremy. But she hallucinates that the water turns to blood.
After getting dressed and going downstairs, she hallucinates Connor again and begins to dash for the door causing Damon to go after her. When she runs out the door Klaus grabs her and speeds off. Elena breaks out of the room Klaus imprisoned her in and Stefan sends Damon to find her. He finds her on Wickery bridge, and tries to talk sense into her, but she doesn't listen still heeding the ghostly presences, until Jeremy kills a vampire and breaks the curse. After he does the deed, Jeremy stands there and watches as the hunter’s mark inch up his arm. Just as it does, the sun rises over the horizon and Elena’s skin starts to sizzle. When it seems like she might get the death she no longer wants, Damon, not thinking twice, grabs her and dives into the water, saving her from the sun.
The next day, Elena wakes up in her bed noticeably lighter and better. Damon has been waiting in her room looking after her."You know what they say about teenage suicide,” he jokes. “Don’t do it.” He found Elena's daylight ring and put it back on her finger. Elena tells Damon that the last 24 hours were like a really bad dream. She thanks him for saving her. Damon sits on Elena's bed and they take each other's hands, sharing a moment. But, his nobler sentiments get the better of him and Damon explains Stefan's actions over the last few days to her and that he was lying in order to help Klaus find the alleged cure for Elena. Later that day, Stefan comes to the house have a talk with Elena. She asks him why he sent Damon, to find her and save her instead of him, her boyfriend. He explains to her that since she turned Elena trusts Damon but not Stefan. Stefan understood why Elena was driven to Damon when Stefan was a Ripper, but now he doesn't. Elena explains to Stefan that since she turned, Damon and her have something more. Her feelings for Damon have amplified. Stefan listens, and he does not seem surprised. “Before, when I was the Ripper, I understood why you cared for him,” he says. “I mean, I practically drove you to it. But now, I can’t do this, Elena. Not anymore.” Elena replies, “I know.” They sit on the porch together, having broken up for good.
In My Brother's Keeper, after Damon learns of Elena and Stefan's breakup, he visits her and Caroline, whilst they help April pick a dress for the pageant. Viewers see Elena's self-consciousness as she hastily tries to fix her dress and hair when Damon walks in the room; similar to an awkward teenager. At first Elena and Caroline were dead set on the blue dress, being the safer choice over the red, but when Damon states that the red one would look better, and asks for Elena's agreement, she reconsiders by saying "the red is pretty." Caroline shoots daggers at her, wondering aloud why she changed her mind and whatever happened to the safe choice being the good choice. When Damon leaves, Elena runs after him saying they need to talk. Damon says he knows about the break-up and isn't sorry about it. Elena asks him if he knows the reason as to why they broke up. Damon doesn't and states: "I'm sure it had something to do with you acting weird". Elena gives him a meaningful look and tells him the reason is, "You." Damon is dumbstruck and gives her a small, almost disbelieving smile. They share a long moment, looking at each other, but Professor Shane interrupts. The following pageant is full of shared looks and meaningful glances rife with sexual tension.
After the pageant, Elena, having to get away from Jeremy as he's having nightmares about killing his sister, moves into the Salvatore house. Stefan, decides he can't be there and heads to Caroline's, leaving Elena and Damon alone. Elena reflects, over a glass of whiskey, about how she probably sucks at being a vampire, and how everyone wants to fix her and change her back into who she used to be. But, Damon says that he's never seen her more alive. Elena smiles at this. She reminisces about dancing with Damon at the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant exactly a year ago. She shyly admits that she had wanted to share a dance with him today. He twinkles at her and extends his hand as an invitation and she accepts, dancing with him in front of the fireplace. It gets progressively more intimate as Damon twirls Elena away and then back towards himself and their lips meet.
From soft and slow their kisses get more and more passionate. Damon lets Elena take the lead. She knocks a lamp over as she pushes him against a wall, rips his shirt open and kisses him, running her hands over his chest as Damon looks equal parts surprised and awed. Damon reverses their positions and presses himself into her, her right leg wrapped around him, kissing each other wildly. The scene cuts to Caroline and Stefan saying that Elena's feelings for Damon might mean that she is sired to Damon.
When the scene cuts back to Elena, in nothing but her lingerie, is straddling and kissing a naked Damon in his bed. The scene intercuts with Damon and Elena making passionate but tender love, alternately kissing each others chests and mouths. They switch positions and Elena looks happy, laughing with Damon, while he seems awed beyond belief. They move in unison, looking into each others eyes and the episode ends with them cradling each others faces in a loving kiss.
In We'll Always Have Bourbon Street, still in bed, Damon is shown to be happy while Elena kisses him passionately then they make love again. Damon sends Elena off to school with a request that they wait just one day before they blab about their new relationship to Stefan. "It's our time right now, and it never has been before," he pleads: "Just one day!" and she agrees. When Elena heads off to school, Stefan shows up to talk to Damon.
Stefan feels a pressing need to tell Damon about the sire bond, and to his credit he doesn't gloat about it, but you know he's feeling pretty relieved on the inside. Damon isn't buying, however. "Really, Stefan?" he sneers. "You two idiots can't stand that she's happy because of me." Well, yes, but Stefan may be right as well. He challenges Damon to test Elena by giving her a blood bag again. Damon reluctantly agrees to the deal, though he tells his brother that, when her body rejects the blood, "Your apology better be epic." He heads to the school and when Elena sees him, she follows him. He gives her a blood bag and "I can't believe this, Damon! I don't have to hurt people anymore!" She's thrilled, Damon less so. She hugs and kisses him before going to class.
When going to New Orleans with Stefan, Damon learns of the sire bond. The link between vampires seems to be formed out of love. When a human loves a vampire, and is turned by that vampire's blood, they experience the sire bond, and do their best to please their sire. Whereas Elena learns from Tyler, The sire bond does not influence feelings, only actions. Damon finds out the way to break the sire bond is for the sire to tell the one with the sire bond to forget about them and move on with their life.
Damon, like the secretly good bad guy he is, goes home to dump Elena. But Elena already knows about his motives, thanks to Caroline spilling the beans about the siring thing. "I've changed, and so have you, Damon," she says. "And I'm happy. It is real, I know what it is. Please don't do this to me."This is exactly what Damon wants to hear, but the end result is this just makes it harder for him to do what he's expected to do. "I'm not the good guy, I'm the selfish one. "I don't do the right thing. But I have to do the right thing by you."he says. She takes his hand and places it on her heart. "Does this feel wrong?" she asks as she strokes his face. He doesn't answer, but it certainly doesn't seem to be wrong. Then she places her hand on his cheek and repeats the question. The episode ends with Damon confused but he didn't break up with her. This scene is similar to a moment they had in Smells Like Teen Spirit.
In O Come, All Ye Faithful, Damon wasn't going to release Elena from the sire bond, he did the next most decent thing: He refused to sleep with her. They woke up, fully clothed, in the same bed. He was already feeling guilty. He knows what he should have done. Instead, he got up to change his shirt. Elena insisted this feels real to her and essentially dared him to send her away. Damon said what he really wanted to do was throw her back in his bed and never let her leave. She told him to do it. Sadly, Elena's phone rang. "Saved by the cell phone," Damon said. Bonnie wanted Elena to meet her at the Gilbert family lake house, where she's trying to teach Jeremy not to kill Elena. Elena asked Damon if he wanted to come.
At the Gilbert Family Lake House, Jeremy was chopping wood and he got a little testy when Elena and Damon pulled up. He said they shouldn't be there. But he trusts Bonnie, and she said they’re there to help him. So was Professor Shadypants, as Damon calls Shane. The lake house is now in Jeremy's name, so he had to invite Elena in. He did—so he could try to stake her. After trying to deprogram her brother, Elena told Damon how strange it was that the last time she'd been there, she was so in love with Stefan, and now that's barely a memory. Was that the sire bond's work, or her being so happy with Damon that she's forgetting about Stefan? That conversation gave Damon an idea: Professor Shane should have used someone other than the person Jeremy wants to kill to attach Jeremy's "detour feelings" to.
"You. I feel that way about you," Jeremy said to Bonnie. The sweet, awkward smiles Jeremy and Bonnie shared. Outside, Shane and Elena talked about her relationship with Damon. He said he'd once loved someone too much, too—his wife and son had died and he'd been trying to figure out a way not to miss them. Damon interrupted them to threaten Shane's life (again), but Shane saved himself by saying he could lead them to the cure because he's already been there.
Shane had to do some quick thinking of his own: Damon told Elena his theory about Shane having killed the pastor and 11 others in that gas explosion. Shane said the pastor had lost his wife to cancer and sought him out for supernatural assistance. But the pastor was too far gone. Elena said she trusts Shane. That discussion got interrupted by Jeremy and Bonnie, who were ready to prove Jeremy could play nicely now. "Jeremy, remember the detour. Choose the right path," Shane said, as Jeremy walked toward Elena with a wooden stake in his hand. Damon stepped in between them, and Jeremy looked at a smiling Bonnie and handed the wood to Damon. Then he reached Elena and hugged her.
As Damon watched Elena and Jeremy decide which Christmas ornaments to bring back to their house, Damon sat outside on the deck and watched her. Elena took out plastic mistletoe and wanted a kiss, but Damon wouldn't do it. He said it was good to see her normal like that with her brother. He wants that for her. The truth is, of course, that Damon wants that with his brother, too. He misses celebrating Christmas with Stefan, which used to be their favorite holiday when they were human. Damon was ready to do the right thing: He told her she’s gonna go home. He’s gonna stay there with Jeremy and teach him how to hunt, protect himself, and kill vampires without her. "I’m setting you free Elena. This is what I want. This is what will make me happy," he said.Later, we saw Jeremy thank Bonnie and hug her goodbye. Bonnie was going to drive Elena home. Elena told Damon she was prepared to fight him on this, but suddenly, every part of her body was telling her she needs to get in the car and leave him. She kissed him goodbye. Simple and gentle, they clearly felt the kiss, but she was very confused about the intense push to leave him still. Damon was surprised by the kiss, but still saddened that he had to send her away. In After School Special, Rebekah takes Stefan, Caroline, and Elena captive in the school library. She asks them some questions about the cure and Stefan reveals that Elena slept with Damon and that she is sired to him. Rebekah then turns to Elena and compels her to tell them the truth about Damon. Elena says that being with Damon is unpredictable, and that it makes her feel happy and free. Later that night she calls Damon and they talk about Jeremy. As Damon starts to hang up, Elena tells him that she realized something about them today. She goes on to tell him that she is in love with him. After that, Damon asks her to get in her car right now and come to him. They hang up and Damon looks up at the sky, amazed that he is finally feeling reciprocated love for the first time in his life.
Soon following in Catch Me If You Can, Elena was coming to the lake to see Damon. She arrived just in time to save Matt from another vampire, and inside they went when the line of vampires approaching. Elena was naturally upset with Damon, but she agreed to let him stay with Jeremy and go hunting while she took Matt home. After a while, Elena heard from Jeremy that Kol had Damon. She went to see Klaus to beg him to call off Kol. She convinced him that they were all on the same team to a point. But the problem was that Damon was compelled by Kol to kill Jeremy.
Later, Damon went to see Elena and asked where Jeremy was. At the Grill, she said, checking on Matt. Damon said he should go apologize to Jeremy for being tough on him. At the Grill, Jeremy senses something was up with Damon when they came eye-to-eye. He started after Jeremy, and Elena called Damon's name and he stopped -- for a second. He told Elena that Kol must have compelled him because if he finds Jeremy, he’ll kill him. Elena still needed to save Jeremy, so she called Stefan. Rebekah answered his phone, and Elena knew he'd hear her even if he wouldn't talk to her. She told him the situation and said if he cares about the cure or Jeremy, he’d come help. He didn't answer so she hung up on him.
Elena caught up to Damon and tried to tell him that he can resist the compulsion because she loves him, and he loves her, and he'll do anything for her. "Sorry, Elena," he said and continued the chase. When he found Jeremy, Damon again did the most decent thing he could. "Shoot now," he told Jeremy. Jeremy fired a shot, and Stefan pushed Damon out of the way. "Hey brother, long time no see," Stefan said. And he snapped his neck. Then, he looked at Elena. “You’re welcome," he added. Damon was taken back to Salvatore Mansion and drained of most of his blood to weaken him. He couldn't even get off his back. He wanted to see Elena, but Stefan said they can't let him do that because with the sire bond, he'd be able to get Elena to let him out. Stefan's plan: Damon stays in there until they find the cure and the sire bond and compulsion are broken. Then Elena and Damon can do whatever they want. Upstairs, Stefan ran into Elena and told her she couldn't see Damon because she'd let him out.
At the end of the next episode, A View To A Kill, Damon was reunited with Elena now that he’s no longer compelled to kill Jeremy, and Stefan arrived home with Silas’ headstone. Elena assumed Rebekah was daggered so they just needed to get Professor Shane and they’d be set -- but Stefan said he didn't dagger Rebekah because she’s on their side. How could he trust her? Damon was more than happy to tell Elena that Stefan had slept with Rebekah. Elena had nothing to say until the brothers started bickering, and then she told them to stop. “Why don’t you tell her to calm down, Damon. You've managed to use that sire bond pretty well so far, haven’t you?” Stefan said. Damon punched Stefan.
Arriving at the island, Damon declined to tell Elena if he’d take the cure when it’s found. Later, Shane made a comment about Damon having the most to lose when they find the cure, Elena had to assure him that her love for him won’t change. Then she kisses him and he hugs her. She clearly wants him to take the cure. Shane tried to tell Damon he should leave the island rather than watch Elena find the cure and choose Stefan. He assumed Damon wouldn't kill him because then Bonnie would die when she did the spell to access the cure. But Damon doesn't care about Bonnie, he told Shane. And right before Damon snapped his neck, Elena arrived to stop him. She freed Shane and told him to stop messing with her friends. Damon's anxieties about Elena were coming to the forefront. He was terrified that her love for him might be entirely because of the sire bond. If that's the case, then as soon as she gets cured, she won't love him anymore. Rather than face that possibility, he protected his emotions by pushing her away. He rejected Elena and the possibility of taking the cure himself -- though that latter may be genuine, as he's been a vampire for a long time and had a lot of fun with it."You know, I used to miss being human. Now I can’t think of anything more miserable on earth," he told Elena.
In Down the Rabbit Hole, Damon plans on getting the cure for the girl he loves. Stefan and Elena found Damon and Rebekah while and Vaughn fled through the passage. Stefan sent Elena on, and he stayed behind to try to help Damon.
In Stand By Me, Damon stayed on the island to try find Bonnie. When he found her, he and Bonnie took a flight back to Mystic Falls. Later when they came back, Elena went upstairs in Jeremy's room and she realized that Jeremy was dead. Damon,who followed her, tried to calm her down but without any success. She pleased him to take Jeremy body downstairs which he did. Elena went in the kitchen and took a bottle of gas and started pouring it around the house. Stefan, Damon, and Caroline were watching in surprise.
Elena went near the fireplace and took a match. She lighted the match and was ready to drop it on the floor and set the house on fire. She started talking about her mother, her dad, Jenna, Alaric, Jeremy, and John who used to live there and about the house which is full of memories of people she loved and died. Suddenly the match burned her finger and she let it fall but luckily Damon caught it in time. Elena broke down on the floor and started crying and shouting about the pain that she couldn't handle anymore. Stefan told Damon to help her. He sat on the floor next to her and hugged her. He told her that he can help her. He told her to turn it off that this was what he wanted for her to do. Elena stared at Damon for a little while with tears on her eyes and then she turned off her humanity. Next on the porch, Damon and Stefan were talking about Elena. Damon told Stefan, "Humanity means nothing when you don't have anyone to care about". Stefan replied, "She had you". Later they went back in. Elena took another match, lighted it and let it fall on the ground. The house started burning and they left home with Jeremy and Elena's memories, including Elena's past burning into flames.
In Bring It On, Elena was laying in the middle of the street(similar to what Damon does), waited for a car to stop, and fed on the (vervain-free) driver until Damon showed up and told her to show some restraint. "I thought this was supposed to be fun," no-humanity Elena pouted, throwing the woman to the ground. Caroline thought school would be a good idea, and Damon told Elena it would make him happy (and not to feed on anyone), but Elena rejoined the cheerleading squad and fed on the (vervain-free) competition, taking the ribbon she wanted. And then things just kept getting worse. Caroline tried to talk to her, but it became clear the sire bond wasn't working; without her humanity, she had no feelings.
Later, Elena and Caroline were fighting, Elena had almost killed her and Damon had to intervene when Elena was a little too close to maybe staking Caroline for comfort. Elena told Damon that she had enough of people telling her to feel when she felt amazing.She asked him if he wants for her to be back like the scared little girl who couldn't admit what she wants,meaning that she would've chose him instead of Stefan if she wasn't scared. She reminded him that he had wanted to be with her and wanted him to be honest that he liked her like this. Damon had sneaked Elena out of the house and decided it was time for another road trip. Brings back memories. We see them in Damon's car, heading to New York, the city that never sleeps.
From Because the Night onward, the relationship between Damon and Elena seems to be broken beyond repair due to a conflict of interest: Damon wants Elena to take the cure at all cost, whereas Elena wants to find the cure first so she can keep the Salvatore brothers from making her take it. Elena will stop at nothing to reach her goal, and seems to no longer care for those that she once considered her friends. She only teams up with Rebekah because they have the same goal and because Rebekah will protect her from Damon and Stefan. While Damon and Elena are in New York, it is also shown that Elena now sees Damon as a mere tool that will help her reach her goal of finding the cure, as she uses him to get away from New York so she can go after Katherine, who has the cure.
In American Gothic, Elena and Rebekah steal Damon's car but Damon and Stefan eventually track Elena down. Later, Elena tells Stefan and Damon that she no longer wants the cure and has no intention to take it. She then asks Stefan and Damon to back down and stop trying to make her take the cure, to which they refuse. She then kills a waitress and tells them that until they stop trying to forcibly cure her, she will kill many more people.
In Pictures of You, Stefan tells Damon once Elena gets her humanity back, Damon will help her deal with all the emotions she's repressed since Jeremy's death and Stefan will leave town. At night, Damon and Stefan picked Elena up in a limo and Damon gave her a corsage. Both Damon and Stefan walked her down a red carpet walkway which was lined with large screens flashing photos (of Elena and Matt, and Elena and Jeremy) that were meant to tug at Elena's heartstrings.
It started to work, so Elena moved inside. Damon stopped her from drinking from a flask and he started working the "I'm your boyfriend, and we're at prom, how romantic!" angle on her. She wasn't biting and she told him he's nothing to her and that she'd only told him she loved him when she still had her humanity because of the sire bond, leaving him heartbroken. Then Elena danced with Stefan in front of Damon which made him jealous.
Later Elena tried to kill Bonnie and Bonnie used her magic which made Elena throw up Bonnie's blood and her bones being broken. Stefan and Damon stopped Bonnie from killing Elena. He hugged her while she was begging Bonnie to stop. Bonnie realizing what she had done left. Elena gave Damon a meaningful look. Damon helped Elena get up and as Damon held her Stefan vervained her. Damon and Stefan brought Elena to the basement of the Salvatore Boarding House. Damon told Stefan that he saw the fear, which in fact is an emotion, in Elena's eyes. Stefan replied that they would make her life a living hell as it is the only way for her to feel again.
In The Originals, Damon and Stefan discusses about how Elena seems to be more resistant to blood-starving than they expected. Damon asks how long is it going to take before Elena starts becoming emotional, to which Stefan replies that it is probably going to take a lot more time.
Later, towards the end of the episode, Damon goes to see Elena in the cell of the Salvatore Boarding House where the two brothers hold her captive, and tell her that she "looks terrible", implying that she is starving for blood, to which she replies that Damon doesn't care about her. Damon then goes on to tell her that he does care, but that she doesn't, which is the problem, and that it needs to change. He then gives her a blood bag. However, Elena quickly spits out the blood as she realizes that it has been mixed with vervain. Damon then asks her how she feels about what he just did to her (giving her the blood bag with vervain), and implies that he and Stefan are going to torture her until she turns her humanity back on. Elena tries to escape with super speed, but is blocked by Stefan. She tells them that if they want to "play games" to determine who has the most willpower between them, they shall see who is going to "break first". Stefan then closes the cell's door.
In She's Come Undone, Damon was inside Elena's head, making her think she was walking on school grounds talking to Caroline, who'd just been named valedictorian. He wanted to show her all she's missing out on. The Salvatores had her locked in their version of solitary confinement, a tall safe. Elena was brought upstairs and tied to a chair without her day-ring. Stefan opened the curtains and she suffered the punishment. Damon was using a fire extinguisher to put out the flames on her arm. She told him she was going to kill him. Stefan didn't hesitate to pull back the curtains far enough to burn her face the next time. Elena was burning again, and this time, she launched a verbal assault on Damon. She told him he was right -- she never loved him, it was just the sire bond. Elena broke free from her singed rope constraints, pulled back the curtains herself, and set herself on fire. The brothers stopped her. They love her too much to ever really hurt her, Elena said, so what does she have to be afraid of?
Damon couldn't understand why Elena wasn't doing what every other vampire eventually does -- turn on her emotions. Stefan reminded him it's because Elena has NOTHING to come back to. If they weren't going to hurt her, they had to bring in someone who would. Stefan thought of Katherine. After Katherine was done with Elena, she reminded him again that EVERYONE thinks Elena will go back to Stefan once she gets her humanity back. Stefan burst in to say Elena was gone. Katherine hadn't locked her in. She wanted to see her escape and raise hell, which would be more entertaining. Damon decided to take Matt with him as bait.
In the woods, Elena kicked Matt because she wanted him to wake up so she could feed again. The Salvatores finally stepped in, and then Damon had enough: He told Elena that he was going to kill Matt. She called his bluff, and he snapped Matt's neck. Elena went to Matt, believing he was gone, and when Damon showed her that he was wearing the resurrection ring, he said she was experiencing joy that her friend wasn't dead. The memories came back to Elena: What she'd done to Matt, Caroline, Bonnie, and that waitress that she actually killed. She started crying, broke the glass in the truck's window, and just generally freaked out. Damon tried to calm her down but she wouldn't listen. Stefan told her he knew this stage: She had to focus on one thing inside of her that makes her strong and latch on to it. She had to find the thing inside of her that makes her want to live. Back at Salvatore Mansion. She got it now: shutting off your emotions is a cheat. Things have happened that can't be undone, she said. And she needs to do something about that. Turns out, the reason she had to live was to kill Katherine, who she blames for everything -- ruining their lives, bringing Klaus to Mystic Falls, killing Jeremy.
In The Walking Dead, Damon is avoiding Elena and Stefan's attempts to use himself as a guiding example fall short because he had the same killing compulsion with Klaus as Elena has with Katherine. When discovering that Bonnie is going to drop the veil, Stefan teams up with Caroline to search inside for Bonnie, while Damon and Elena look outside. Mostly, she just wants to know where Katherine is. He thinks she needs to let it go. "Behind your rage there is a tidal wave of feelings," Damon says. "Killing Katherine is going to let it all in." Elena disagrees, so she stabs him in the stomach and runs off.</p>
Near the end of the episode, Elena starts to apologize to everybody -- Bonnie, Stefan, Damon -- but Damon tell her it's okay and to spend time with Jeremy before the veil is put back up. Damon and the real Alaric, load stone Silas into the trunk of a car, they plan to drop him into the ocean. But first, Alaric gives Damon something he found in Silas' pocket: the cure. "Get the girl," Alaric tells him and smiles.
When Graduation finally arrived, Elena wanted to talk to Damon about their relationship but before she could, Damon gave Elena the cure as her graduation present. When Elena wouldn't take it -- because then the Hunters would kill people -- Damon knew the sire bond hadn't resurfaced when she got her humanity back. Damon thought Jeremy would help him convince her, but Jeremy said it was her choice. He accepts Elena as a vampire now. That's nice. Elena then noticed Damon wincing in pain and told him to take off his shirt. "Elena, there are children present," he cracked. She saw the wound from Vaughn's wooden-bullet gun hadn't healed. He told her that bullet was laced with werewolf venom -- and the hunters were dicks. With Klaus in New Orleans, the only hope was for Damon to take the cure and become human so he didn't die. That's what Elena wanted. But Damon said he was so motivated by Elena's save-the-world speech, he wouldn't do it. He gave the cure to Vaughn and told him they were off to dig up Silas. Damon didn't want to become human, so if he was going to die, he'd at least distract Vaughn.
Elena was freaking out about Damon leaving until Stefan told her it was a stall tactic. He said the bullet was only laced with werewolf venom, so Damon had time. Jeremy made Elena go to graduation but she was still shown to be worried about Damon. Later, Vaughn was about to kill Damon until Alaric stepped in and saved him. Alaric phoned the others ask Stefan whether he should watch Damon die or force-feed him the cure. But Klaus arrived in Mystic Falls in time and Damon was cured.
Elena asked Damon if he was alright now and he told her he was fine then she slapped him which made Alaric proud and Lexi laugh. Damon was standing in front of the fireplace and said he wanted to apologize, but then realized he wasn't sorry. Yes, he'd rather die than be human, both because he didn't want to age and because he didn't want to age while she remained the same. He's selfish, and no apology would encompass all the reasons he's wrong for her, he said. Elena said she wasn't going to apologize either then. She's not sorry she met him. Not sorry that in death, he's the one who made her feel more alive. Not sorry that even though she knows it'll be the worst decision she's made, she's in love with him. "I love you, Damon," she said. And he kissed her. This time it was real. Elena truly loves Damon and is fully devoted to him. }}
The Story Behind the Rain Kiss
Ever since their rain scene in Let The Right One In, fans of the couple have been wanting to see them kiss in the rain. Over the years, there have been numerous worldwide twitter trends requesting this scene. The writers agreed and the rain kiss happened in Season Six episode, Do You Remember the First Time?.
The following are the extracts from an interview in which Julie Plec shares her experience of the rain kiss.
Julie Plec explained that as the years have gone by, the idea of having a Damon and Elena kiss in the rain grew in the writers' room, but they knew that shooting the scene would come with many difficulties. "It's been sort of a frustrating request to fulfill because it's just so awful to shoot," she said.
But all hesitations and reservations were cast aside once the writers knew Damon needed to reference a hugely romantic moment, in hopes of triggering Elena's lost memories of their relationship.
"We were writing the story, and we were thinking, 'Okay, what could that memory be?' Plec recalled. "What was that summer that we skipped between season four and five where they had the summer of their lives?"
A meteor shower, a nearby waterfall and many more swoon-worthy ideas were thrown together in a brainstorm blender, before coming up with the perfect setting. "We were just pitching all of these ideas, and then all of a sudden — I don’t even know who it was, maybe it was me, maybe it was somebody else — [said] 'What if they kissed in the rain?'" she revealed.
The EP continued, "Then we laughed because we were like, 'Ohh the director is going to get killed by the people who hate Delena!' And the writers will get killed, but the people who love Delena are going to be so happy."
Plec believes that The Notebook was the spark that caused audiences to become so fixated on the idea of a couple kissing in the rain. "There's something about two people coming together in the rain that is the ultimate expression of love in the minds of most audiences, I guess," she shared.
The showrunner was thrilled with the way everything came together and described the final Delena rain kiss scene as both "beautiful and epic," before adding that it was also a way for the writers to pay tribute to such a devoted fandom.
"When you have a group of people who, for five years, have been begging for one little thing, and you find the perfect way to give it to them, that's called honoring your fans," Plec said. "And I believe [in] that so strongly."
Recurring Themes and Symbolism
- The Crow:
- Bonnie: That was weird. When I touched you, I saw a crow.
- Elena: What?
- Bonnie: A crow. There was fog, a man.
- These were Bonnie's words to Elena on the Pilot. When Bonnie and Elena are in the car, and Bonnie is telling Elena she's psychic, Elena challenges her to "Predict something about me." Bonnie says: "I see..." (A crow hits the windshield.). At the cemetery while Elena writes in her journal by her parent's gravesite she is bothered by black crow she tries to scare him away but he resurfaces behind her and we see the fog and a mysterious figure standing far ahead. Later after Vicki Donovan's attack, she tells Elena that she saw a crow when she touched her and tells her that it's just the beginning. It's later revealed in the same episode that the crow was being influenced by Damon and it later resurfaces at the Salvatore Boarding House as Damon and Elena "meet" for the second time in The Night of the Comet. In the book series the crow holds an even deeper meaning to Damon and Elena's relationship, especially regarding Damon's character as he is able to shape-shift into the crow.
- The Delena Road-trips: Damon and Elena have been on several road-trips throughout their burgeoning friendship. It all started in season 1 after Damon saved Elena from her car crash in Bloodlines. It was the first time they truly bonded and fans got to see another side to Damon and Elena's dynamic. Damon and Elena continued going through many roadtrips, most of these times when on a mission or adventures to get some sort of information or finding and rescuing someone they care about, they constantly bicker and tease each other most of the time allowing the fans to see their friendship developing. These times include; Bad Moon Rising, The End of the Affair, Heart of Darkness, The Five, Bring It On, Because the Night and Original Sin. It can also be noted that Elena is the only character aside from Damon to drive his car. She is the only female character to have driven his car.
- Salvatore Boarding House Fire Place: Many of Damon and Elena's most meaningful moments have been centered around the fireplace at the Salvatore Boarding House; quaking recognition, gentle touch, hot embraces, long awaited meeting and heavy farewell, hearfelt love declarations...etc Many fans see the fire as symbol of their relationship, of they're ever growing passion, love and the strong bond that unifies them. Many of their fireplace scenes were in Homecoming, where Elena told him that they would "always survive" which sort of became the epitome of their relationship as they survived the countless obstacles and complication thrown in their relationship, other scenes include; the first time they made love in My Brother’s Keeper, their warm embrace as they reunited in A View To A Kill, Their love declaration and Elena finally choosing Damon in Graduation, Damon's "You are my life" declaration in Original Sin, their 'quiet, peaceful' time on the couch by the fire in Handle with Care, their breakup in Fifty Shades of Grayson, when they once again try to end things and realize they can't stop loving each other in While You Were Sleeping, Damon finally lets her go in Rescue Me. In the episode Because, Elena and Damon share yet another powerful scene by the fire place where Damon tells her that he will take the cure with her so they can have their human life together. In the next episode I'd Leave My Happy Home For You, a now human Elena tells Damon that he needs to be absolutely sure that being human is what he truly wants. The fire metaphor could also be attributed to Damon's words to Elena about a love that consumed her, wanting passion, adventure and danger as all these elements can be attributed to fire and the strength and power of their love.
- Dances-"The Simple Intimacy of a Near Touch": Damon and Elena shared their first dance at the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant and according to Elena it was the first time she truly felt attracted to him as well as one of their most popular moments. It's speculated as the first time Elena saw Damon with different eyes and the first time he truly let her in. The couple continued sharing many dance scenes in The Last Dance, Dangerous Liaisons, The Five, My Brother’s Keeper, Monster's Ball and Do You Remember the First Time? but none would ever compare to the first. Their dances have always been kind of a tradition as Elena says it in Dangerous Liaisons. During the second Mystic Falls Pageant, Elena for the first time confesses her feelings for Damon and while the participants dances, they both gaze at each other as they remember their first dance. Later, at night, Elena admits she wanted to dance with Damon, so he takes her hand and they start slow dancing which ultimately leads to them making love for the first time. In Do You Remember the First Time?, Damon and Elena slow dance during a Whitmore charity event. Damon uses it as a means to try and stir up Elena's memory of him. In I'm Thinking Of You All The While, Damon and Elena share a final and beautiful dance when Damon enters Elena's mind while she's in magically induced coma. it's a powerful dance, very reminiscent of their first one on the Miss Mystic Falls pageant.
Caroline Dries about their final dance; "It was so romantic and it brings that fantasy, gothic, romance element that is unique to our show, like Beauty and the Beast. 'It was more beautiful than anything you could say and more romantic than them kissing. The imagery connected them in a profound way. And dance is a motif in their relationship, starting with the Miss Mystic Falls dance, and they danced in the Salvatore living room in front of the fireplace before they got together, so this was the perfect way to end their story for now. It really worked out."
- Bed Scenes: Before initiating a romantic relationship Damon and Elena have shared the same bed in multiple occasions; As I Lay Dying, The End of the Affair, Ordinary People and Heart of Darkness. In these scenes we got to see them talk, share heart to heart moments and the obvious sexual tension between the two. While dating also they both have talked and share stuff while laying beside each other in We'll Always Have Bourbon Street, O Come, All Ye Faithful, Original Sin and Rescue Me. In The Day I Tried To Live, after making love for the first time in their newly reformed relationship, Elena is seen putting Damon's arm around her in an attempt to snuggle closer to him.
- Elena's Necklace: Even though Stefan gave Elena her necklace to protect her against Damon (the power of compulsion, specifically) it became more of a symbol of Damon and Elena's relationship. The first time we see this is at the end of Rose when Damon returns it to Elena after Elijah had ripped it from her neck. Damon then reveals that he loves her, but that it's selfish of him to say it as he doesn't deserve her. Damon then compels Elena to forget what he had revealed and returns her necklace. (Elena does remember this however in Growing Pains due to her transition into a vampire). For Elena's 18th birthday (The Birthday) Damon gives Elena her necklace back as a present. Elena was overjoyed as the necklace represented hope for her and Stefan. The final time we see Damon retrieve Elena's necklace is from Katherine, during The Reckoning. As a gesture of comfort, Damon presents the necklace to her, hoping that it would cheer her up. Unfortunately the necklace only serves as a reminder that Stefan is gone. In Yellow Ledbetter, Damon is seen holding Elena's necklace whilst trapped in the 1994 prison world. This mirrors Elena revealing that when Damon gave her that necklace for her birthday, she realized that in that moment, she loved him.
- Hand Holding: Holding each other's hand has always been their way of comforting each other. It started when Damon takes her hand in Founder's Day and caresses it and then informs Stefan and her about the impending attack on Mystic Falls. After this, during several occasions they hold each other's hands, in The Last Day, Elena holds his hand after he expresses his sadness over her potential death and she tells him he won't lose her, in As I Lay Dying, Elena holds his hands while he is dying due to the werewolf bite, in Heart of Darkness, Damon holds her hand after they share a moment, in We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes, they hold hands after Elena thanks him for saving her life, in The Cell, Damon holds her hands after he promises her that he will get her out of the cell, in Home, they hold hands as they commit suicide to save Stefan, in I'll Remember, a hallucinated Damon comforts Elena by holding her hand and in Fade Into You, Elena holds Damon's hand as she asks him to bring her best friend back. Damon and Elena held hands again in Woke Up With a Monster when he saved her from Kai, they looked lovingly into each others eyes until they were interrupted by Jo and Alaric. They hold hands again as they jump off the clock tower in I'd Leave My Happy Home For You.
- Carrying Elena to safety: Throughout the Vampire Diaries, it can be noted that Damon is one of the few people to ever carry Elena to safety. It all began in the Bloodlines when Damon saves her from a car crash and they later took a road trip to Georgia which cemented the start of their tentative friendship. As the seasons progressed Damon would continue to protect Elena and carry her to safety in episodes such as The Sun Also Rises after she the sacrifice ritual. In The Reckoning, when he takes her from the hospital and carries her to the Salvatore Mansion promising to never leave her again. In Man on Fire, he finds her unconscious on the ground and carries her back to her dorm room. In I'd Leave My Happy Home For You, when he carries her to safety once she collapses after taking cure to vampirism. This fortifies what Damon says in the the episode, The Reckoning, "I promise you, I will never leave you again.".
- Temptation - Moby (Damon caresses Elena while she sleeps, Friday Night Bites)
- The Weight of Us - Sanders Bohlke (Damon offers to take away Jeremy's bad memories of Vickie, Haunted)
- Cosmic Love – Florence + The Machine (Elena wakes up after her car crash and finds herself with Damon, heading to Georgia, Bloodlines)
- All I Need - Within Temptation (Damon and Elena's first dance at the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant, Miss Mystic Falls)
- It Is What It Is - Lifehouse (Elena tells Damon to not make her regret their friendship, Founder's Day)
- Bloodstream - Stateless(Damon kisses Katherine, thinking it's Elena, Founder's Day)
- Come Home - One Republic feat. Sara Bareillies (Elena rejects Damon The Return)
- Ashes And Wine - A Fine Frenzy (Elena tells Damon he has lost her forever Bad Moon Rising)
- I Was Wrong - Sleepstar(Damon tells Elena he loves her for the first time and compels her to forget. Rose)
- No Way Out - Rie Sinclair and Mike Suby (Damon stops Elena from entering the Tomb, The Sacrifice)
- Last Kiss - Trent Dabbs (Damon & Elena dance at the 60's Decade Dance The Last Dance)
- I Should Go - Levi Kreis (Elena says 'goodbye' to Damon as he's dying, As I Lay Dying)
- Make It Without You - Andrew Belle (Damon presents Elena with her vervain necklace on her 18th birthday, The Birthday)
- I Just Came to Say Hello - Martin Solveig & Dragonette (Damoon escorts Elena through her party The Birthday)
- Distance - Christina Perri (Elena wakes up with Damon in her bed. The End Of The Affair)
- We Don't Eat - James Vincent McMorrow (Damon & Elena bed scene Ordinary People)
- Echo - Jason Walker (Damon wants Elena to remember the feelings she's beginning to develop once Stefan is back, The Hybrid)
- Torch Song – Shady Band(Damon takes Elena from the hospital and carries her home, The Reckoning)
- Holding On Letting Go Ross Copperman (Their first real kiss, on her porch, The New Deal)
- Punching In A Dream - The Naked and Famous (The morning after their first kiss, Our Town)
- Devotion - Hurts (Damon watches Elena entering The Mikaelson's Ball, Dangerous Liaisons)
- Give Me Love - Ed Sheeran (Damon and Elena share a dance at the Mikaelson Ball, Dangerous Liaisons)
- Poison & Wine - The Civil Wars (Damon ignores Elena's call and her apology, All My Children)
- Never Let Me Go - Florence & The Machine (What happens in Denver, Stays in Denver!)
- When The Light Dies Out – Christel Alsos (Rose talks to Jeremy about Damon and Elena, Heart of Darkness)
- Twice - Little Dragon (Elena remembers Damon's love confession, Growing Pains)
- Feel So Close - Calvin Harris (Damon & Elena dirty dance at a Whitmore frat party, The Five)
- The Thread Of The Thing - Fay Wolf (Damon takes the high and annoying road, We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes)
- Little Deschutes - Laura Veirs (Damon & Elena exchange longing looks during the Miss Mystic Falls pageant, My Brother’s Keeper)
- Kiss Me - Ed Sheeran (Damon & Elena dance and sleep together for the first time, My Brother’s Keeper)
- Eyes on Fire - Blue Foundation (Dammon & Elena's Morning After We'll Always Have Bourbon Street)
- Speechless - Morning Parade (Damon tries to let go of Elena after learning of the sire bond, We'll Always Have Bourbon Street)
- Covering Your Tracks - Amy Stroup (the morning after, O Come, All Ye Faithful)
- Oblivion - Bastille - (Damon sends Elena home, O Come, All Ye Faithful)
- New York - Snow Patrol (Elena tells Damon that she loves him over the phone, After School Special)
- Anymore Of This - Mindy Smith & Matthew Perryman Jones (Elena tells Damon that he prefers her this way, Bring It On)
- Belong - The Cary Brothers (Elena confesses that she loves Damon and she's not going to apologize for it, Graduation)
- Unbelievers - Vampire Weekend (An overview of Damon and Elena's passionate summer together, I Know What You Did Last Summer)
- Royals - Lorde (Elena gives Damon a goodbye kiss as she leaves for College in I Know What You Did Last Summer)
- Run Away - Cary Brothers (Elena calls Damon, I Know What You Did Last Summer)
- Don't Deserve You - Plumb (Elena promises to always love Damon, True Lies)
- Satellite Call - Sarah Bareilles (Damon declares that Elena is his life, Original Sin)
- Love Don't Die - The Fray (Damon and Elena's post break-up blues 500 Years of Solitude)
- Fire Breather - Laurel (Damon and Elena break up then sleep together, While You Were Sleeping)
- Do I Wanna Know? - Artic Monkeys (Damon & Elena walk through the high school hallway, Rescue Me)
- Far from Yesterday - Amy Stroup (Damon lets Elena go back to Whitmore, Rescue Me)
- Outro - M83 (Damon tells Elena that he can't be her friend, Resident Evil)
- Chemical - Kerli (Damon kisses Elena, What Lies Beneath)
- Love Is Just a Way to Die - I Am Strikes (Damon promises to make it back to Elena, Home)
- Be Alright - Lucy Rose (Damon says goodbye to Elena as she begs him to come back to her, Home)
- Wings - Birdy (Elena and the others watch as Jeremy screams for Bonnie, Damon and Bonnie fade away into the mysterious white light, Home)
- Light A Fire - Rachel Taylor (Elena tries to let go of Damon, I'll Remember)
- Salvation - Gabrielle Aplin (Elena packs all her memories of Damon in a box, Yellow Ledbetter)
- Sleeping At Last - All Through The Night (Elena reveals the moment that she fell in love with Damon, Yellow Ledbetter)
- The Power of Love - Gabrielle Aplin (Elena opens her Damon "memory box" and she learns of her previous feelings for him Black Hole Sun)
- Unbreakable - Jamie Scott (Damon and Elena see each other for the first time since Damon's death, The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get)
- Belong - The Cary Brothers (Damon and Elena dance at the Whitmore Homecoming Ball Do You Remember the First Time?)
- The Hardest Part - Nina Nesbitt (Elena & Damon stand at the edge of Mystic Falls in the hope of triggering her memories, Do You Remember the First Time?)
- Concrete Angel - Christina Novelli (Damon lets Elena go, Do You Remember the First Time?)
- Another Love - Tom Odell (The iconic rain kiss, Do You Remember the First Time?)
- When You Fall in Love - Andrew Ripp (Elena hold's Damon's hand as she asks him to help her bring Bonnie back, Fade Into You)
- Compass - Zella Day (Damon and Elena decide to make new memories, I Alone)
- This Good Night Is Still Everywhere - Dustin Kensrue (Elena watches Damon sleep Christmas Through Your Eyes)
- The Other Side - French for Rabbits (Damon takes wood splinters out Elena's heart, and makes a catch with Damon and starts laughing and then they hold hands, Woke Up With a Monster)
- Always Take You Back- Night Terrors of 1927 (Damon and Elena kiss at the hospital, Prayer For the Dying)
- Time - Mikky Ekko (Damon and Elena sleep together after they agree to leave the past behind them, The Day I Tried To Live)
- Your Mine (The Chase) - Meiko (Damon and Elena kiss passionately in The Salvatore kitchen A Bird in a Gilded Cage)
- When You Sleep - Mary Lambert (Elena tells Damon that she was jealous of Jo's pregnancy) I Never Could Love Like That)
- To the Wonder - Aqualung (feat. Kina Grannis) (Damon tells Elena that he is taking the cure and that he will always ove her I'll Wed You in the Golden Summertime)
- What If Love - RHODES (Elena makes Damon promise that he will live his life and not shut down I'm Thinking Of You All The While)
- Hunger - Ross Copperman (Damon and Elena share their last dance, and final kiss. I'm Thinking Of You All The While)
- Start Up: My Brother’s Keeper (4x07)
- Break Up: Fifty Shades of Grayson (5x10)
- Reason: Damon thinks he is bad and doesn't want Elena to always find a explanation for his actions and defend him, so he lets her go despite the fact that they both are still in love with each other and breaks her heart.
Post Break-Up Sex
- Start Up: While You Were Sleeping (5x16)
- Ended: Rescue Me (5x17)
- Reason: Elena asks Damon to let her go because she believes that when they are together they do bad things for each other and that she can't control herself around him. Damon kisses her forehead and lets her go.
- Start Up: Promised Land (5x21)
- Separated by Death: Home (5x22)
- Reason: Damon died.
- Reunited: The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get (6x06)
- Elena does not remember him but wants to break the compulsion.
- In Do You Remember the First Time?, Damon decides to let Elena go and live her new life without him, but not before telling her that he still loves her. He loves her enough to set her free.
- In Fade Into You, Elena reveals beneath the surface of the compulsion there's a feeling for Damon that she can't explain and they hold hands.
- In I Alone, they appear to be trying to start their relationship new.
- In Prayer For the Dying, Elena tells Damon she wants to start from the beginning of their relationship saying its cheating using how he knows her from their previous relationship that she had compelled away.
- Start Up: Prayer For the Dying (6x12)
- In The Day I Tried To Live, they have sex for the first time since While You Were Sleeping.
- In Because, Damon tells Elena he'll take the cure with her rather than risk losing her if she took it by herself.
- In I'd Leave My Happy Home For You, Elena takes the cure and she regains her memories of her previous relationship with Damon as it strips away the compulsion she had done in Yellow Ledbetter by Alaric. She tells Damon she stills love him as a human.
- In I'll Wed You in the Golden Summertime, Damon tells her that he'll take the cure and be human with her. She is later injured by Kai when he attacks Alaric and Jo's wedding.
- Separated by magic sleep spell: I'm Thinking Of You All The While (6x22)
- Reason: Elena is linked to Bonnie's life and will remain asleep, not aging, until Bonnie dies. Damon makes the selfless choice to let Bonnie live which makes Elena proud and in their final moment for now, they share a dance, cherishing their love and knowing they will see each other soon.
- In I Would for You, Damon desiccates himself in a coffin right next to Elena's coffin. Although he tells everyone else that it's to keep them safe from an Elena less Damon but he tells Alaric the real reason that he is doing this because he can't live without Elena and has been miserable ever since she left him. He is awaken by Stefan after 3 years to help him deal with the vampire hunter Rayna Cruz who has returned.
- Reunited: TBA
- In the novel series Damon and Elena end up together.
- Damon is Elena's true destiny:
"Well done, Elena. Here is a small souvenir (the music box Damon had given her; The Hunters: Moonsong, Chapter 34)  of your past life, as a token of our regard. Enjoy your humanity—you’ve earned it. I hope you find your true destiny."
— Mylea in The Salvation: Unmasked, Chapter 31.
- Damon is also Elena's home:
"This is it, Elena realized, stopping stock-still in front of him and staring dumbly up into his face. This is who I’m meant to be with. My destiny caught up with me after all.
“Hello, Elena.” Damon’s mouth twisted into its telltale smirk, and Elena knew she was home."
— Elena and Damon in The Salvation: Unmasked, Chapter 33.
- Damon is Elena's true destiny: