|Elena and Damon|
Delena, DE, Dex
In Love, Love of each other's lives, Made love, She is his life, They see a future together (they want to have a human life together), Passionate feelings, Elena fell for him all over again even after losing her memories of loving him, Protective of each other, Damon is always there for her, Elena has never abandoned him, Can't live without each other.
May 23, 2009 (before Pilot)
Soulmates, Best Friends, Lovers (Currently separated as Elena is under a sleeping curse).
|“|| Elena: I love you, Damon Salvatore.|
Damon: I love you too.
— Damon and Elena in I'm Thinking Of You All The While
The relationship between the cured vampire/human, Elena Gilbert and vampire, Damon Salvatore, is a greatly complicated but popular powerful romantic pairing, and a significant relationship in the series.
Though initially started on antagonistic terms, their relationship develops throughout the series. He was the narcissistic evil vampire, who came to town to seek revenge on his younger brother, who Elena happened to develop an interest in. When everyone had written Damon off as a bad guy who couldn't be redeemed, Elena, who was unafraid of him and willing to call him on his crap, saw something in him that hinted he wasn't entirely evil. And so there marked the start of a tentative yet beautiful friendship. Over the seasons, their bond continues to grow, from becoming allies to friends to best friends and ultimately lovers. He’s always saving her from danger and she’s saving him from his dark self, they both care deeply for each other, regardless of any obstacles that may come in their way
They both love each other with a passion that consumes them. For him, she is the best thing that has ever happened to him, his life. For her, he is the one that defines her, her soulmate. Damon wants to give up his vampire status to marry her and be the father of her kids.
They are known as "Delena" by fans.
- "Drawn together and not pulling away."
- —Describing their relationship
- "Because of Damon's feelings for Elena, thinking that, for the very first time in his life that he has a home, Elena is the one who helped Damon find his home and his home is Elena."
- —Kevin Williamson
- "The one thing I do want to see filmed and I'll say it because it hasn't happened yet and it may never happen, but I do want to see and I will go on the record to every Stelena fan in the world, I do want to see Damon and Elena get it on."
- —Kevin Williamson
- "That's the journey, I don't just want to throw them together tomorrow. I'd be sad. I want to see the kiss, I want to see the sweaty palms, I want to see it all go down."
- —Kevin Williamson
- "Even before anything happened in our series, Elena had been touched in her soul by this man."
- —Julie Plec
- "This year, she's had a very traumatic roller coaster of life experience and it's changed her irrevocably—and at the center of it all was the die hard belief that she loved Damon, that she loved him more than she'd ever loved anyone."
- —Julie Plec
- "I think that's what makes them as a couple so powerful. Even if the story line is them not dating, it's still a love story."
- —Caroline Dries
- "It was going to be something beautiful and epic, so the rain was a way of us [honoring] this group of fans who spent five years begging for this one thing. … I think it’s because of The Notebook … oh, and Spider-Man. Basically, there’s something about people coming together in the rain that’s the ultimate expression of love in the minds of most audiences."
- —Julie Plec
- "The show was so Delena-heavy. And their love was such an epic love and such a big story point for so many years that it's a strange dynamic now to have all that gone. Which is kind of what makes it interesting, because it's an Elena we've never seen before.""
- —Nina Dobrev
- "At the end of the day, it is for love and he's going to try everything he can to get her back and win her back."
- —Ian Somerhalder
- "They’ve been through a lot. Love trumps all. So when you see, you want it to win."
- —Ian Somerhalder
- "I think they're a pretty damn epic television couple."
- —Ian Somerhalder
Damon came back to Mystic Falls with the sole purpose of bringing back Katherine Pierce, the vampire with whom he had fallen in love as a human in 1864. However, after realizing that Katherine had secretly escaped the tomb but hadn't cared enough about him to find him, he resented her. He begins to fall for his younger brother Stefan's girlfriend, also Katherine's doppelgänger, Elena. His love for Elena makes him want to protect his birthtown instead of destroying it, as was his original purpose when he arrived. They form a rocky friendship.
Elena constantly forgives Damon from doing horrible things to her, such as killing her younger brother Jeremy (although he came back to life) or feeding her vampire blood (essentially ending her human life). Elena has admitted she sees the good in Damon and believes he's worth saving. Elena begins to reciprocate Damon's feelings for her, though continues to love Stefan.
Their friendship deepens, leading to them becoming best friends. Elena cares whether Damon lives or dies, and even when she chooses Stefan over him, Damon continues to still be there for her when she needs somebody and feels she can't turn to Stefan about it. Damon has never lied to her and would always tell her the truth, although he has admitted that he will lie to her if it saves her life.
After becoming a vampire, Elena breaks up with Stefan as her feelings for Damon had become too strong for her to ignore. Elena and Damon sleep together after she admits to her feelings. It's discovered that because Elena had feelings for Damon when she was human and it was his blood which turned her, a sire bond has been created between them. Damon begins to doubt her feelings for him and believes they are solely built on the sire bond. After being compelled by Rebekah to tell the truth, Elena reveals that she is no longer in love with Stefan and is instead in love with Damon. She later confesses this to him, stating that it's the most real thing she's ever felt. After Jeremy dies, Damon uses the sire bond to get Elena to turn her emotions off, knowing that the pain would be too much for her. She loses all feelings she has for him as a result, but continues a relationship with him solely for manipulation, later telling him her feelings were all due to the sire bond. Damon's willing to do anything to get her emotions back, including torturing her and killing Matt (although he was brought back to life), which eventually proved successful.
Elena later chooses between Damon and Stefan for the second time, this time choosing Damon, since she had fallen out of love with Stefan. She confirms her love for Damon during a heartfelt confession from them both, and they kiss. Damon's later proud as he says to Alaric, "I got the girl."
Their relationship lasts the whole summer and briefly becomes long distance when she begins attending college. After realizing how he's changing her, he decides to break up with her, causing her great heartbreak. Stefan makes Damon realize how stupid he was acting and he decides to try and win her back. However, when he finally tells her, he's unaware that Katherine has taken over Elena's body when she rejects him. This sends him off the deep end and he becomes guilty when he finds out the truth. After he tells her the truth, they mutually decide to end their relationship as they realize they have too much control over each other. However they end up sleeping together. But after that, Elena tells Damon that he has to let her go until they can figure things out.
As Markos, the Travelers' leader finally makes his appearance, Elena and Stefan begin to have visions of a life that they would never have. Damon is hurt by this but Elena lets him know that the universe doesn't control anything and that her and Damon are real, not those visions. She tries to be friends with him but he refuses and they try to avoid one another which turns out to be impossible. After getting kidnapped by Markos, nearly dying and with a little encouragement from Stefan she tells Damon that she thought she would never see him again and couldn't think of a worse way to die and so they both rekindle their relationship. In the finale of Season Five, in order to bring Stefan back from the Other Side, Damon and Elena go on a suicide mission. However, when the resurrection spell starts, Damon is unable to come back from the Other Side. Knowing that the Other Side is disintegrating and there is no other way for Damon to return, Elena breaks down completely. A ghost Damon confesses to her that she is the greatest thing that ever happened to him and the fact that he will die knowing he was loved by Elena Gilbert is the epitome of a fulfilled life. Damon says I love you and leaves while Elena continues to cry and pleas with him to return to her.
Months after Damon's death, Elena desperately mourns him. During that time, Elena had been using a witch drug that allowed her to hallucinate Damon as she does not want to believe that he's dead. Unable to go on with the memory of Damon, Elena has Alaric erase every good memory she has of him and doesn't remember loving him until she finally learns the truth from Stefan. After Damon's return from death, Elena tries to avoid him but changes her mind and decides that she wants her memories of him back. However, Alaric becomes human because of crossing the anti magic border and is unable to give Elena her memories. At first, Elena tries to move on but then realizes she can't seem to shake her feelings for Damon. They both decide to make new memories and start their relationship anew. As they started to bond, Elena began to see the good side of Damon as he worked hard to bring Bonnie back from the Prison World.
During their new relationship, Elena continued to fall for Damon and eventually got back together with him after the death of Liz, which made her feel that life was too short, wanting to live her life to the fullest with him. During the growing love between the two, Bonnie managed to escaped the Prison World and give Damon the cure which Damon planned to get before. As time went by, he still hadn't told Elena about the cure and started to question his future together with Elena. Eventually, his mother who was revealed to still be alive and was stuck in a prison world, stole the cure from Damon and put it in a place that Elena would find it. Damon and Elena talked about why he hid the cure from her because he didn't want to lose her and eventually chose to take the cure with her. Elena not wanting Damon to decide so quickly and resent her one day, knowing how much he loves being a vampire, asks for Stefan's help, to show Damon a brutal human life with Elena. After watching an elderly couple, Damon made his final decision to take the cure. He would give up his vampire status to marry Elena and be the father or their children. As soon as Alaric and Jo's wedding took place, Kai killed Jo and attacked everyone, putting Elena into a coma. Kai revealed that he linked Elena and Bonnie together. As long as Bonnie lives, Elena won't wake from her sleep; so until Bonnie dies, Elena will wake. Damon made the selfless choice of saving Bonnie's life, making Elena proud of him. They shared their final moments together with a dance and a kiss. Damon will wait for Elena until the day she wakes.
- "You want a love that consumes you. You want passion and adventure, and even a little danger...I want you to get everything you're looking for."
- —Damon to Elena
Damon first met Elena the night her parents died. She met Damon in the middle of the road, and at first, he mistook her for Katherine. They started talking and even flirted a little. He told her that she wanted a love that consumed her, a love that was passionate, and a love that was a little dangerous. And then he told her that he wanted her to have everything she wanted. After their moonlit conversation, Elena's parents had arrived and Damon compelled her to forget it ever happened. They were later reunited in The Night of the Comet, but she didn't remember him. This also explains the reason how Damon knew who Elena was when they met in the Salvatore Boarding House. Elena admitted in The Departed, that if she had met Damon first, things might have gone different between them and she would have chosen him over Stefan. This memory resurfaces after Elena transitioned into a vampire in Growing Pains.
Throughout the Vampire Diaries Series
The Story Behind the Rain Kiss
Ever since their rain scene in Let The Right One In, fans of the couple have been wanting to see them kiss in the rain. Over the years, there have been numerous worldwide twitter trends requesting this scene. The writers agreed and the rain kiss happened in Season Six episode, Do You Remember the First Time?.
The following are the extracts from an interview in which Julie Plec shares her experience of the rain kiss.
Julie Plec explained that as the years have gone by, the idea of having a Damon and Elena kiss in the rain grew in the writers' room, but they knew that shooting the scene would come with many difficulties. "It's been sort of a frustrating request to fulfill because it's just so awful to shoot," she said.
But all hesitations and reservations were cast aside once the writers knew Damon needed to reference a hugely romantic moment, in hopes of triggering Elena's lost memories of their relationship.
"We were writing the story, and we were thinking, 'Okay, what could that memory be?' Plec recalled. "What was that summer that we skipped between season four and five where they had the summer of their lives?"
A meteor shower, a nearby waterfall and many more swoon-worthy ideas were thrown together in a brainstorm blender, before coming up with the perfect setting. "We were just pitching all of these ideas, and then all of a sudden — I don’t even know who it was, maybe it was me, maybe it was somebody else — [said] 'What if they kissed in the rain?'" she revealed.
The EP continued, "Then we laughed because we were like, 'Ohh the director is going to get killed by the people who hate Delena!' And the writers will get killed, but the people who love Delena are going to be so happy."
Plec believes that The Notebook was the spark that caused audiences to become so fixated on the idea of a couple kissing in the rain. "There's something about two people coming together in the rain that is the ultimate expression of love in the minds of most audiences, I guess," she shared.
The showrunner was thrilled with the way everything came together and described the final Delena rain kiss scene as both "beautiful and epic," before adding that it was also a way for the writers to pay tribute to such a devoted fandom.
"When you have a group of people who, for five years, have been begging for one little thing, and you find the perfect way to give it to them, that's called honoring your fans," Plec said. "And I believe [in] that so strongly."
Recurring Themes and Symbolism
- The Crow:
- Bonnie: That was weird. When I touched you, I saw a crow.
- Elena: What?
- Bonnie: A crow. There was fog, a man.
- These were Bonnie's words to Elena on the Pilot. When Bonnie and Elena are in the car, and Bonnie is telling Elena she's psychic, Elena challenges her to "Predict something about me." Bonnie says: "I see..." (A crow hits the windshield.). At the cemetery while Elena writes in her journal by her parent's gravesite she is bothered by black crow she tries to scare him away but he resurfaces behind her and we see the fog and a mysterious figure standing far ahead. Later after Vicki Donovan's attack she tells Elena that she saw a crow when she touched her and tells her that it's just the beginning. It's later revealed in the same episode that the crow was being influenced by Damon and it later resurfaces at the Salvatore Boarding House as Damon and Elena "meet" for the second time in The Night of the Comet. In the book series the crow holds an even deeper meaning to Damon and Elena's relationship, especially regarding Damon's character as he is able to shape-shift into the crow.
- The Delena Road-trips: Damon and Elena have been on several road-trips throughout their burgeoning friendship. It all started in season 1 after Damon saved Elena from her car crash in Bloodlines. It was the first time they truly bonded and fans got to see another side to Damon and Elena's dynamic. Damon and Elena continued going through many roadtrips, most of these times when on a mission or adventures to get some sort of information or finding and rescuing someone they care about, they constantly bicker and tease each other most of the time allowing the fans to see their friendship developing. These times include; Bad Moon Rising, The End of the Affair, Heart of Darkness, The Five, Bring It On, Because the Night and Original Sin. It can also be noted that Elena is the only character aside from Damon to drive his car. She is the only female character to have driven his car.
- Salvatore Boarding House Fire Place: Many of Damon and Elena's most meaningful moments have been centered around the fireplace at the Salvatore Boarding House; quaking recognition, gentle touch, hot embraces, long awaited meeting and heavy farewell, hearfelt love declarations...etc Many fans see the fire as symbol of their relationship, of they're ever growing passion, love and the strong bond that unifies them. Many of their fireplace scenes were in Homecoming, where Elena told him that they would "always survive" which sort of became the epitome of their relationship as they survived the countless obstacles and complication thrown in their relationship, other scenes include; the first time they made love in My Brother’s Keeper, their warm embrace as they reunited in A View To A Kill, Their love declaration and Elena finally choosing Damon in Graduation, Damon's "You are my life" declaration in Original Sin, their 'quiet, peaceful' time on the couch by the fire in Handle with Care, their breakup in Fifty Shades of Grayson, when they once again try to end things and realize they can't stop loving each other in While You Were Sleeping, Damon finally lets her go in Rescue Me. In the episode Because, Elena and Damon share yet another powerful scene by the fire place where Damon tells her that he will take the cure with her so they can have their human life together. In the next episode I'd Leave My Happy Home For You, a now human Elena tells Damon that he needs to be absolutely sure that being human is what he truly wants. The fire metaphor could also be attributed to Damon's words to Elena about a love that consumed her, wanting passion, adventure and danger as all these elements can be attributed to fire and the strength and power of their love.
- Dances-"The Simple Intimacy of a Near Touch": Damon and Elena shared their first dance at the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant and according to Elena it was the first time she truly felt attracted to him as well as one of their most popular moments. It's speculated as the first time Elena saw Damon with different eyes and the first time he truly let her in. The couple continued sharing many dance scenes in The Last Dance, Dangerous Liaisons, The Five, My Brother’s Keeper, Monster's Ball and Do You Remember the First Time? but none would ever compare to the first. Their dances have always been kind of a tradition as Elena says it in Dangerous Liaisons. During the second Mystic Falls Pageant, Elena for the first time confesses her feelings for Damon and while the participants dances, they both gaze at each other as they remember their first dance. Later, at night, Elena admits she wanted to dance with Damon, so he takes her hand and they start slow dancing which ultimately leads to them making love for the first time. In Do You Remember the First Time?, Damon and Elena slow dance during a Whitmore charity event. Damon uses it as a means to try and stir up Elena's memory of him. In I'm Thinking Of You All The While, Damon and Elena share a final and beautiful dance when Damon enters Elena's mind while she's in magically induced coma. it's a powerful dance, very reminiscent of their first one on the Miss Mystic Falls pageant.
Caroline Dries about their final dance; "It was so romantic and it brings that fantasy, gothic, romance element that is unique to our show, like Beauty and the Beast. 'It was more beautiful than anything you could say and more romantic than them kissing. The imagery connected them in a profound way. And dance is a motif in their relationship, starting with the Miss Mystic Falls dance, and they danced in the Salvatore living room in front of the fireplace before they got together, so this was the perfect way to end their story for now. It really worked out."
- Bed Scenes: Before initiating a romantic relationship Damon and Elena have shared the same bed in multiple occasions; As I Lay Dying, The End of the Affair, Ordinary People and Heart of Darkness. In these scenes we got to see them talk, share heart to heart moments and the obvious sexual tension between the two. While dating also they both have talked and share stuff while laying beside each other in We'll Always Have Bourbon Street, O Come, All Ye Faithful, Original Sin and Rescue Me. In The Day I Tried To Live, after making love for the first time in their newly reformed relationship, Elena is seen putting Damon's arm around her in an attempt to snuggle closer to him.
- Elena's Necklace: Even though Stefan gave Elena her necklace to protect her against Damon (the power of compulsion, specifically) it became more of a symbol of Damon and Elena's relationship. The first time we see this is at the end of Rose when Damon returns it to Elena after Elijah had ripped it from her neck. Damon then reveals that he loves her, but that it's selfish of him to say it as he doesn't deserve her. Damon then compels Elena to forget what he had revealed and returns her necklace. (Elena does remember this however in Growing Pains due to her transition into a vampire). For Elena's 18th birthday (The Birthday) Damon gives Elena her necklace back as a present. Elena was overjoyed as the necklace represented hope for her and Stefan. The final time we see Damon retrieve Elena's necklace is from Katherine, during The Reckoning. As a gesture of comfort, Damon presents the necklace to her, hoping that it would cheer her up. Unfortunately the necklace only serves as a reminder that Stefan is gone. In Yellow Ledbetter, Damon is seen holding Elena's necklace whilst trapped in the 1994 prison world. This mirrors Elena revealing that when Damon gave her that necklace for her birthday, she realized that in that moment, she loved him.
- Hand Holding: Holding each other's hand has always been their way of comforting each other. It started when Damon takes her hand in Founder's Day and caresses it and then informs Stefan and her about the impending attack on Mystic Falls. After this, during several occasions they hold each other's hands, in The Last Day, Elena holds his hand after he expresses his sadness over her potential death and she tells him he won't lose her, in As I Lay Dying, Elena holds his hands while he is dying due to the werewolf bite, in Heart of Darkness, Damon holds her hand after they share a moment, in We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes, they hold hands after Elena thanks him for saving her life, in The Cell, Damon holds her hands after he promises her that he will get her out of the cell, in Home, they hold hands as they commit suicide to save Stefan, in I'll Remember, a hallucinated Damon comforts Elena by holding her hand and in Fade Into You, Elena holds Damon's hand as she asks him to bring her best friend back. Damon and Elena held hands again in Woke Up With a Monster when he saved her from Kai, they looked lovingly into each others eyes until they were interrupted by Jo and Alaric. They hold hands again as they jump off the clock tower in I'd Leave My Happy Home For You.
- Carrying Elena to safety: Throughout the Vampire Diaries, it can be noted that Damon is one of the few people to ever carry Elena to safety. It all began in the Bloodlines when Damon saves her from a car crash and they later took a road trip to Georgia which cemented the start of their tentative friendship. As the seasons progressed Damon would continue to protect Elena and carry her to safety in episodes such as The Sun Also Rises after she the sacrifice ritual. In The Reckoning, when he takes her from the hospital and carries her to the Salvatore Mansion promising to never leave her again. In Man on Fire, he finds her unconscious on the ground and carries her back to her dorm room. In I'd Leave My Happy Home For You, when he carries her to safety once she collapses after taking cure to vampirism. This fortifies what Damon says in the the episode, The Reckoning, "I promise you, I will never leave you again.".
- Temptation - Moby (Damon caresses Elena while she sleeps, Friday Night Bites)
- The Weight of Us - Sanders Bohlke (Damon offers to take away Jeremy's bad memories of Vickie, Haunted)
- Cosmic Love – Florence + The Machine (Elena wakes up after her car crash and finds herself with Damon, heading to Georgia, Bloodlines)
- All I Need - Within Temptation (Damon and Elena's first dance at the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant, Miss Mystic Falls)
- It Is What it Is - Lifehouse (Elena tells Damon to not make her regret their friendship, Founder's Day)
- Bloodstream - Stateless (Damon kisses Katherine, thinking it's Elena, Founder's Day)
- Come Home - One Republic feat. Sara Bareillies (Elena rejects Damon The Return)
- Ashes And Wine - A Fine Frenzy (Elena tells Damon he has lost her forever Bad Moon Rising)
- I Was Wrong - Sleepstar (Damon tells Elena he loves her for the first time and compels her to forget. Rose)
- No Way Out - Rie Sinclair and Mike Suby (Damon stops Elena from entering the Tomb, The Sacrifice)
- Last kiss - Trent Dabbs (Damon & Elena dance at the 60's Decade Dance The Last Dance)
- I Should Go - Levi Kreis (Elena says 'goodbye' to Damon as he's dying, As I Lay Dying)
- Make It Without You - Andrew Belle (Damon presents Elena with her vervain necklace on her 18th birthday, The Birthday)
- I Just Came to Say Hello - Martin Solveig & Dragonette (Damoon escorts Elena through her party The Birthday)
- Distance - Christina Perri (Elena wakes up with Damon in her bed. The End Of The Affair)
- We Don't Eat - James Vincent McMorrow (Damon & Elena bed scene Ordinary People)
- Echo - Jason Walker (Damon wants Elena to remember the feelings she's beginning to develop once Stefan is back, The Hybrid)
- Torch Song – Shady Band(Damon takes Elena from the hospital and carries her home, The Reckoning)
- Holding On Letting Go Ross Copperman (Their first real kiss, on her porch, The New Deal)
- Punching In A Dream - The Naked and Famous (The morning after their first kiss, Our Town)
- Devotion - Hurts (Damon watches Elena entering The Mikaelson's Ball, Dangerous Liaisons)
- Give Me Love - Ed Sheeran (Damon and Elena share a dance at the Mikaelson Ball, Dangerous Liaisons)
- Poison & Wine - The Civil Wars (Damon ignores Elena's call and her apology, All My Children)
- Never Let Me Go - Florence & The Machine (What happens in Denver, Stays in Denver!
- When The Light Dies Out – Christel Alsos (Rose talks to Jeremy about Damon and Elena, Heart of Darkness)
- Twice - Little Dragon (Elena remembers Damon's love confession, Growing Pains)
- Feel So Close - Calvin Harris (Damon & Elena dirty dance at a Whitmore frat party, The Five)
- The Thread Of The Thing - Fay Wolf (Damon takes the high and annoying road, We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes)
- Little Deschutes - Laura Veirs (Damon & Elena exchange longing looks during the Miss Mystic Falls pageant, My Brother’s Keeper)
- Kiss Me - Ed Sheeran (Damon & Elena dance and sleep together for the first time, My Brother’s Keeper)
- Eyes on Fire - Blue Foundation (Dammon & Elena's Morning After We'll Always Have Bourbon Street)
- Speechless - Morning Parade (Damon tries to let go of Elena after learning of the sire bond, We'll Always Have Bourbon Street)
- Covering Your Tracks - Amy Stroup (the morning after, O Come, All Ye Faithful)
- Oblivion - Bastille - (Damon sends Elena home, O Come, All Ye Faithful)
- New York - Snow Patrol (Elena tells Damon that she loves him over the phone, After School Special)
- Anymore Of This - Mindy Smith & Matthew Perryman Jones (Elena tells Damon that he prefers her this way, Bring It On)
- Belong - The Cary Brothers (Elena confesses that she loves Damon and she's not going to apologize for it, Graduation)
- Unbelievers - Vampire Weekend (An overview of Damon and Elena's passionate summer together, I Know What You Did Last Summer)
- Royals - Lorde (Elena gives Damon a goodbye kiss as she leaves for College in I Know What You Did Last Summer)
- Run Away - Cary Brothers (Elena calls Damon, I Know What You Did Last Summer)
- Don't Deserve You - Plumb (Elena promises to always love Damon, True Lies)
- Satellite Call - Sarah Bareilles (Damon declares that Elena is his life, Original Sin)
- Love Don't Die - The Fray (Damon and Elena's post break-up blues 500 Years of Solitude)
- Fire Breather - Laurel (Damon and Elena break up then sleep together, While You Were Sleeping)
- Do I Wanna Know? - Artic Moneys (Damon & Elena walk through the high school hallway, Rescue Me)
- Far from Yesterday - Amy Stroup (Damon lets Elena go back to Whitmore, Rescue Me)
- Outro - M83 ( Damon tells Elena that he can't be her friend, Resident Evil)
- Chemical - Kerli (Damon kisses Elena, What Lies Beneath)
- Love Is Just a Way to Die - I Am Strikes (Damon promises to make it back to Elena, Home)
- Be Alright - Lucy Rose (Damon says goodbye to Elena as she begs him to come back to her, Home)
- Wings - Birdy (Elena and the others watch as Jeremy screams for Bonnie, Damon and Bonnie fade away into the mysterious white light, Home)
- Light A Fire - Rachel Taylor (Elena tries to let go of Damon, I'll Remember)
- Salvation - Gabrielle Aplin (Elena packs all her memories of Damon in a box, Yellow Ledbetter)
- Sleeping At Last - All Through The Night (Elena reveals the moment that she fell in love with Damon, Yellow Ledbetter)
- The Power of Love - Gabrielle Aplin (Elena opens her Damon "memory box" and she learns of her previous feelings for him Black Hole Sun)
- Unbreakable - Jamie Scott (Damon and Elena see each other for the first time since Damon's death, The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get)
- Belong - The Cary Brothers (Damon and Elena dance at the Whitmore Homecoming Ball Do You Remember the First Time?)
- The Hardest Part - Nina Nesbitt (Elena & Damon stand at the edge of Mystic Falls in the hope of triggering her memories, Do You Remember the First Time?)
- Concrete Angel - Christina Novelli (Damon lets Elena go, Do You Remember the First Time?)
- Another Love - Tom Odell (The iconic rain kiss, Do You Remember the First Time?)
- When You Fall in Love - Andrew Ripp (Elena hold's Damon's hand as she asks him to help her bring Bonnie back, Fade Into You)
- Compass - Zella Day (Damon and Elena decide to make new memories, I Alone)
- This Good Night Is Still Everywhere - Dustin Kensrue (Elena watches Damon sleep Christmas Through Your Eyes)
- The Other Side - French for Rabbits (Damon takes wood splinters out Elena's heart, and makes a catch with Damon and starts laughing and then they hold hands, Woke Up With a Monster)
- Always Take You Back- Night Terrors of 1927 (Damon and Elena kiss at the hospital, Prayer For the Dying)
- Time - Mikky Ekko (Damon and Elena sleep together after they agree to leave the past behind them, The Day I Tried To Live)
- Your Mine (The Chase) Meiko (Damon and Elena kiss passionately in The Salvatore kitchen A Bird in a Gilded Cage)
- When You Sleep - Mary Lambert (Elena tells Damon that she was jealous of Jo's pregnancy) I Never Could Love Like That)
- To the Wonder - Aqualung (feat. Kina Grannis) (Damon tells Elena that he is taking the cure and that he will always ove her I'll Wed You in the Golden Summertime)
- What If Love RHODES (Elena makes Damon promise that he will live his life and not shut down I'm Thinking Of You All The While)
- Hunger Ross Copperman (Damon and Elena share their last dance, and final kiss. I'm Thinking Of You All The While)
- Start Up: My Brother’s Keeper (4x07)
- Break Up: Fifty Shades of Grayson (5x10)
- Reason: Damon thinks he is bad and doesn't want Elena to always find a explanation for his actions and defend him, so he lets her go despite the fact that they both are still in love with each other and breaks her heart.
Post Break-Up Sex
- Start Up: While You Were Sleeping (5x16)
- Ended: Rescue Me (5x17)
- Reason: Elena asks Damon to let her go because she believes that when they are together they do bad things for each other and that she can't control herself around him. Damon kisses her forehead and lets her go.
- Start Up: Promised Land (5x21)
- Separated by Death: Home (5x22)
- Reason: Damon died.
- Reunited: The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get (6x06)
- Elena does not remember him and must break the compulsion herself.
- In Do You Remember the First Time?, Damon decides to let Elena go and live her new life without him, but not before telling her that he still loves her. He loves her enough to set her free.
- In Fade Into You, Elena reveals beneath the surface of the compulsion there's a feeling for Damon that she can't explain and they hold hands.
- In I Alone, they appear to be trying to start their relationship new.
- In Prayer For the Dying, Elena tells Damon she wants to start from the beginning of their relationship saying its cheating using how he knows her from their previous relationship that she had compelled away.
- Start Up: Prayer For the Dying (6x12)
- In The Day I Tried To Live, they have sex for the first time since While You Were Sleeping.
- In Because, Damon tells Elena he'll take the cure with her rather than risk losing her if she took it by herself.
- In I'd Leave My Happy Home For You, Elena takes the cure and she regains her memories of her previous relationship with Damon as it strips away the compulsion she had done in Yellow Ledbetter by Alaric. She tells Damon she stills love him as a human.
- In I'll Wed You in the Golden Summertime, Damon tells her that he'll take the cure and be human with her. She is later injured by Kai when he attacks Alaric and Jo's wedding.
- Separated by magic sleep spell: I'm Thinking Of You All The While (6x22)
- Reason: Elena is linked to Bonnie's life and will remain asleep, not aging, until Bonnie dies. Damon makes the selfless choice to let Bonnie live which makes Elena proud and in their final moment for now, they share a dance, cherishing their love and knowing they will see each other soon.
- Reunited: TBA
- In the novel series Damon and Elena end up together.
- Damon is Elena's true destiny:
"Well done, Elena. Here is a small souvenir (the music box Damon had given her; The Hunters: Moonsong, Chapter 34)  of your past life, as a token of our regard. Enjoy your humanity—you’ve earned it. I hope you find your true destiny."
— Mylea in The Salvation: Unmasked, Chapter 31. 
- Damon is also Elena's home:
"This is it, Elena realized, stopping stock-still in front of him and staring dumbly up into his face. This is who I’m meant to be with. My destiny caught up with me after all.
“Hello, Elena.” Damon’s mouth twisted into its telltale smirk, and Elena knew she was home."
— Elena and Damon in The Salvation: Unmasked, Chapter 33. 
- Damon is Elena's true destiny: