|Damon and Elena|
Delena, DE, Dex
Elena saw Damon as her Soulmate, They wanted a future together, Loved each other, Had passionate feelings, Made love, Dated, Protective of each other, Couldn't live without each other.
May 23, 2009 (before Pilot)
Best Friends, Lovers, He is in love with her, Elena can't shake her feelings for him.
|“|| Elena: I'm sorry for compelling away the memories, they were only half mine.
Damon: We'll make new ones.
Damon came back to Mystic Falls with the sole purpose of bringing back Katherine Pierce, the vampire with whom he had fallen in love as a human in 1864. However, after realizing that Katherine had secretly escaped the tomb but hadn't cared enough about him to find him, he resented her. He begins to fall for his younger brother Stefan's girlfriend, also Katherine's doppelgänger, Elena. His love for Elena makes him want to protect his birthtown instead of destroying it, as was his original purpose when he arrived. They form a rocky friendship.
Elena constantly forgives Damon from doing horrible things to her, such as killing her younger brother Jeremy (although he came back to life) or feeding her vampire blood (essentially ending her human life). Elena has admitted she sees the good in Damon and believes he's worth saving. Elena begins to reciprocate Damon's feelings for her, though continues to love Stefan.
Their friendship deepens, leading to them becoming best friends. Elena cares whether Damon lives or dies, and even when she chooses Stefan over him, Damon continues to still be there for her when she needs somebody and feels she can't turn to Stefan about it. Damon has never lied to her and would always tell her the truth, although he has admitted that he will lie to her if it saves her life.
After becoming a vampire, Elena breaks up with Stefan as her feelings for Damon had become too strong for her to ignore. Elena and Damon sleep together after she admits to her feelings. It's discovered that because Elena had feelings for Damon when she was human and it was his blood which turned her, a sire bond has been created between them. Damon begins to doubt her feelings for him and believes they are solely built on the sire bond. After being compelled by Rebekah to tell the truth, Elena reveals that she is no longer in love with Stefan and is instead in love with Damon. She later confesses this to him, stating that it's the most real thing she's ever felt. After Jeremy dies, Damon uses the sire bond to get Elena to turn her emotions off, knowing that the pain would be too much for her. She loses all feelings she has for him as a result, but continues a relationship with him solely for manipulation, later telling him her feelings were all due to the sire bond. Damon's willing to do anything to get her emotions back, including torturing her and killing Matt (although he was brought back to life), which eventually proved successful.
Elena later chooses between Damon and Stefan for the second time, this time choosing Damon, since she had fallen out of love with Stefan. She confirms her love for Damon during a heartfelt confession from them both, and they kiss. Damon's later proud as he says to Alaric, "I got the girl."
Their relationship lasts the whole summer and briefly becomes long distance when she begins attending college. After realizing how he's changing her, he decides to break up with her, causing her great heartbreak. Stefan makes Damon realize how he was stupid and he decides to try and win her back. However, when he finally tells her, he's unaware that Katherine has taken over Elena's body when she rejects him. This sends him off the deep end and he becomes guilty when he finds out the truth. After he tells her the truth, they mutually decide to end their relationship as they realize they have too much control over each other. However they end up sleeping together. But after that, Elena tells Damon that he has to let her go until they can figure things out.
As Markos, the Travelers' leader finally makes his appearance, Elena and Stefan begin to have visions of a life that they would never have. Damon is hurt by this but Elena lets him know that the universe doesn't control anything and that her and Damon are real, not those visions. She tries to be friends with him but he refuses and they try to avoid one another which turns out to be impossible. After getting kidnapped by Markos, nearly dying and with a little encouragement from Stefan she tells Damon that she thought she would never see him again and couldn't think of a worse way to die and so they both rekindle their relationship. In the finale of Season Five, in order to bring Stefan back from the Other Side, Damon and Elena go on a suicide mission. However, when the resurrection spell starts, Damon is unable to come back from the Other Side. Knowing that the Other Side is disintegrating and there is no other way for Damon to return, Elena breaks down completely. A ghost Damon confesses to her that she is the greatest thing that ever happened to him and the fact that he will die knowing he was loved by Elena Gilbert is the epitome of a fulfilled life. Damon says I love you and leaves while Elena continues to cry and pleas with him to return to her.
Months after Damon's death, Elena desperately mourns him. During that time, Elena had been using a witch drug that allowed her to hallucinate Damon as she does not want to believe that he's dead. Unable to go on with the memory of Damon, Elena has Alaric erase every good memory she has of him and doesn't remember loving him until she finally learns the truth from Stefan. After Damon's return from death, Elena tries to avoid him but changes her mind and decides that she wants her memories back of him.
They are known as "Delena" by fans.
- "You want a love that consumes you. You want passion and adventure, and even a little danger...I want you to get everything you're looking for."
- —Damon to Elena
Damon first met Elena the night her parents died. She met Damon in the middle of the road, and at first, he mistook her for Katherine. They started talking and even flirted a little. He told her that she wanted a love that consumed her, a love that was passionate, and a love that was a little dangerous. And then he told her that he wanted her to have everything she wanted. After their moonlit conversation, Elena's parents had arrived and Damon compelled her to forget it ever happened. They were later reunited in The Night of the Comet, but she didn't remember him. This also explains the reason how Damon knew who Elena was when they met in the Salvatore Boarding House. Elena admitted in The Departed, that if she had met Damon first, she would have been with him instead. This memory resurfaces after Elena has transitioned into a vampire in Growing Pains.
Throughout the Vampire Diaries Series
In the premiere of Season Six, I'll Remember, its been four months since Damon and Bonnie died and Elena has begin her sophomore year and has decided to be a doctor. Elena is seen drinking some herbs and later describing her day to someone. It turns out that someone is Damon whom Elena has been hallucinating since months thanks to the herbs provided by Luke. She then asks him about his day to which "Damon" jokes about Alaric coming back to life to become a college professor. They both laugh and then embrace each other.
Elena drops by Luke's after he doesn't show with her herbs. He tells her he's cutting her off because she's in denial. She gets angry and starts ransacking his room, then threatens him. Later, Elena hallucinates Damon in a car, he wonders if she's not visiting Bonnie because he knows Bonnie would agree with Luke that she needs to move on. Elena asks him to not talk about this.
Taking these herbs is making Elena very thirsty and so she decides to feed from a girl who she encounters on the road. Elena gets out to offer directions, but instead chomps down on her neck. Damon tells Elena to go easy, saying she nearly killed the last one and the one before that, and the one before that. Elena says she's still hungry and continues. Then Caroline shows up and the girl takes the opportunity to run. Caroline questions Elena on what she has been doing since summer. Elena explains her about the drugs and confesses that she tried to grieve him but it didn't work as every time she tried to think about the fact that she is never gonna see him again, she feels like she will die. When a dejected Elena returns to her car, Damon comforts her by holding her hands.
Elena calls Stefan until he answers. She wants hope that Damon will be back. Stefan says he hasn't gotten anywhere yet. Elena says she can't handle the idea of forever without Damon. Stefan admits he stopped looking for answers and said good-bye. He urges her to do the same. Later at the crypt, Elena chugs another potion of her herbs and when Damon shows up she tells him he's not even real, just her subconscious tricking her. She says seeing him is making her hurt people. He tells her to move on if she needs to. Elena thanks him for saving Stefan and Alaric and giving her a love full of passion and adventure. She tells him good-bye. She kisses him and expects him to be gone, but he's still there as Elena can't let him go. Then he starts asking her how long until she goes running back to Luke, telling her she's going to feel a lifetime of agony and grief. She trashes the crypt and collapses crying. But Damon is still there.
Later, in her dorm room, Elena is seen hugging Damon's shirt and looking at their framed picture when Alaric enters. She asks Alaric how he's handling coming back to life and being a vampire. He tells her he hates everything about being a vampire. She tells him she did too, until she found the idea of eternal love with Damon, but now since he is gone, she's lost it. She needs Alaric to do something for her. Because he was created by the original vampire spell, which means he can compel other vampires. She wants him to compel her to forget that she ever loved Damon.
In Yellow Ledbetter, in order to forget Damon, Elena packs up all her photos of Damon, along with his old clothes. She tells Matt and Jeremy her plan to have Alaric compel away her feelings for Damon and asks that they keep the truth from her. Alaric sits down with Elena and tells her that in order to erase her feeling for Damon, she needs to go back to when she first realized she loved him. He explains that the signature memory about Damon will affect all the others when he alters it. She's sad to be losing her memories of Damon as she doesn't want to stop loving him, but knows she needs to. Elena begins to relive old memories of her and Damon. She first tells him about their first meeting. Elena says, "I was in high school. There was something different about him, dangerous. But not in a way that scared me. It was exciting." Alaric changes it to meeting a stranger.
Elena shares more Damon memories with Alaric, including when he stepped in as her escort for Miss Mystic Falls. She remembers it was the first time she noticed how sexy he was. But erasing that doesn't change things. They go through every moment she can come up with but none of them undo how she feels. Everytime Alaric asks “Who is Damon Salvatore?”, each time Elena responds with "He was my boyfriend, I loved him, he died." Eventually, Alaric tells Elena that it will not work if she does not admit when she fell for Damon, Elena says she cannot carry on and wants to stop.
After consulting Caroline, Alaric is told that she denies when she fell for him because she was with Stefan. When consulting Elena, he tells her it is ok to love them both, Elena responds with “It’s ok to love them both, that’s what Katherine said." Elena finally admits the day she realized her love for him was her birthday after she and Damon spent all summer looking for Stefan. He gave her the necklace Stefan gave her that she had lost. She knew how much it hurt him as he loved her but he still gave her a thing that represented hope for her and Stefan. She says how selfless he was and in that moment she loved him. As she tells Alaric about this moment, stuck in another time, Damon reminisces about the same memory. He is sad and missing her. Alaric then alters this memory, and she remembers the night ending with Damon snapping Jeremy's neck in front of her. Finally, she doesn't remember Damon as her lover, but as a monster who died.
In Welcome to Paradise, as a result of Elena losing all her good memories of Damon, she is back to hating him. She refers to him as "homicidal maniac" in front of Caroline. Meanwhile, Damon finds his car and remembers his last moment with Elena before they both died, Bonnie asks him what will he tell Elena when he comes back, and he says "I am gonna tell Elena how much I love her."
In Black Hole Sun, Damon is in desperate attempts to get back to Elena and his brother. Stefan reveals to Elena that Alaric erased all her good memories of Damon. She can't believe she was in love with Damon, but Stefan explains it in a way that lets us know he truly understands why Elena and Damon were really in love. Neither of them can live without Damon, he says, but he has to knowing what he's lost. Elena goes to see Alaric, and he gives her the journal in which she wrote a letter to herself detailing why she had Alaric do it and why she hoped she'd not undo it. For now, she won't but still wants Alaric to hold onto everything just in case.
In The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get, Damon is finally back and wants to see Elena. But Stefan stops him and tells him about her compulsion to forget her love for Damon. Damon is shocked to hear this but ensures Stefan that the moment their eyes will meet, everything will be okay again. Meanwhile, Caroline tells Elena about Damon's returns who is not so thrilled about it and refuses to meet him. Alaric then talks to her and tries to convince her she loves Damon, but she makes him promise he won't lift the compulsion. She tells him that she has planned to be at the Hospital for the whole day to avoid Damon.
While getting ready to leave, Elena hears a knock at her door. When she hears Damon she refuses to open the door and let him in. He tries to remind her how she felt about him and that the compulsion is a lie. Elena is about to open the door when Damon says "I hear you breathing. You have no idea how long I wanted to hear you breathe." This makes her scared again and she stops. Damon tries a little more but at last says he is gonna kick the door open. Elena then finally opens the door, but jumps out of the window before he can see her.
Later, in Elena's dorm room, Damon notes that there are no pictures of him anywhere. So he picks Elena's graduation picture and draws a cartoon picture of himself around her. After a while, he gets a call from Elena who says she can't avoid him forever so she is ready to meet. She asks him to come by her dorm room and Damon says he will be there in a bit lying about the fact that he was already there waiting for her. Damon then checks his appearance in the mirror and hears someone walk in. He think its Elena but its actually Tripp who manages to capture him. Elena arrives after a little while and is shocked to see Damon's phone and his blood on the floor. She calls Alaric who calms her down saying they will get him.
While waiting for Alaric and Stefan to save Damon from Tripp, Elena confesses to Caroline that she wants her memories back. She can't imagine loving him, but doesn't want to ignore the truth. Unfortunately, while trying to save Damon from Tripp, Alaric crosses the border and turns human. Though Jo manages to save him, he is now a human which means he can't return Elena her memories. Later, in her dorm room, Elena finds her photos of Damon in her journal when he knocks on her door. They both take a deep breath and Elena finally opens the door. The episode ends with a cliffhanger of Damon and Elena coming face to face for the first time since his return. Damon has a look of awe on his face while Elena looks at him nervously.
Going into the following episode, Damon tells Elena he knows Alaric wiped him out of her mind but is hoping some of it is coming back. He says imagining this moment is all that has kept him going. She says she remembers pain and the terrible things he did to the people she cared about, but nothing good that happened between them. She says she knows she loved him and forgave him for all the awful stuff but remembers nothing. She says she’s sorry but she just doesn’t feel it anymore.
Damon attends the fundraiser and sees that Elena has a date. Liam kisses her and Damon stands about three feet away looking on in obvious discomfort. She sends him for a drink and tells Damon she didn’t know he was there. Liam comes back for her drink order and Damon introduces himself. Liam asks if he’s the ex that supposedly died. Damon covers for her and says it was more of an emotional death but says they’re in a good place. Damon tries to stare the guy down and says he’s confident and sexy. Damon tells Liam to go get her a chardonnay. He goes and Elena says she hates chardonnay which Damon knows and asks her for a dance to which she reluctantly accepts.
While dancing, she asks why are they dancing and he says because it would be a shame to deny the world of good of a dancer he is. He reminds her of when they first danced. He says Stefan stood her up and he stepped in all sexy and handsome and saved the day. She says she’s there with someone and he can’t show up announced. He says he came through time and space for her. He says even if he was drowning in grief, he would have hung onto every moment with her than have it erased. He says he would rather be in agony then erase even one memory of her. She says she needs air and goes out. Damon is having shots and Elena comes up to him, telling him that she wants to try to remember. She says maybe if they unwind the memories maybe something will come back and tells him to take her to the last place she told him she loved him.
Damon takes Elena to the city line but she doesn't remember. He asks what she does. She says she knows he had a plan to stop the Travelers then drove his car into the grill to blow himself up to save them. Damon tells her she hopped it the car with him and says he couldn't go without her. He says that’s when he knew she was crazy enough to be to be the one for him. He tells her about the night of her graduation when she told him she was in love with him but refused apologize about it. He tells her there was a summer night before college when she showed him a meteor shower. He says the shooting stars began and then rain started, he took her hand and they stood in the rain.
She still doesn't remember anything and he tells her to try harder and she says she knows they had an amazing life together and gets what they had. She says when she looks in his eyes now, she feels like she’s looking at a stranger because she can never give him what he wants. He says there are things you can’t erase and says she knows that. He tells her he’s sorry too. She goes running for the city line and steps over it. Most of her memories start to return until she starts to choke up the water she drowned in. Damon grabs her and pulls her back over, she says it’s the only way to get rid of the compulsion. He says even if she can’t remember anything, the last thing he would ever do is let her risk her life.
Damon takes Elena back to her dorm and she tells him that she remembered some of their life. Damon tells her when she became a vampire, he was happy that she could be with him forever. He says part of him was heartbroken that she wouldn't have the life she dreamed of. He says now she’s got some of that back. He tells her she’s better off without him and that she should live her life and be happy without him. He says he loves her enough to let her go. She asks about the night it rained on them at the meteor shower. He changes the story and just says they were cold and muddy and drove home then he leaves. Damon thinks back to the stormy night he didn't finish telling Elena about. They stood in the rain and she told him it would clear up. It didn’t. He kissed her and they stood in the rain kissing and she told him to promise her this is for forever and he did. They held each other and kissed.
In Fade Into You, after discovering that there is still hope for Bonnie being alive, Damon without telling Elena makes a trip in search for Gemini coven along with Stefan and Alaric. Over phone, Alaric finally tells Elena about this. Elena wonders why Damon didn't tell her before to which Damon sarcastically replies "Why wouldn't I consult you in a decision that might permanently change your life? Hmm I wonder." At the end of the episode, Elena joins Damon at the bar. She tells him that he should have told her about Bonnie and then taken her to their search trip. He continues to taunt her about the compulsion thing. Elena then asks him about what did he and Bonnie did for months. He says bicker mostly. He tells how he still can't really believe she sacrificed herself so he could come back, but knows it was because of how much he talked about Elena. Elena tells him about her break up with Liam and then says there is this feeling inside her that she can't seem to shake. But she is at a crossroads if she should live a normal life or risk everything for this feeling. Damon asks what is its gonna be and she asks Damon to help her bring Bonnie back so Bonnie can help her decide what to do with her feelings. She holds his hand and Damon smiles and says sure.
In I Alone, Elena and Damon team up with Liv to bring back Bonnie. While walking in the woods, they discuss about Caroline's feelings for Stefan and Elena tells him she just wants both of them to be happy. They meet Liv with the ascendant and blood from Lucy Bennett. Liv gives them vials of her blood to drink to link them to her so she can find them and bring them back, plus an extra for Bonnie. She tells them they have about eight hours to find Bonnie and bring her back. Damon and Elena drink her blood and then Liv pours the Bennett blood on the ascendant and recites the spell. They both land up in the Prison world and are ready to find Bonnie and bring her back.
Elena and Damon first go to Salvatore House and search for her but she isn't there which makes Elena wonder if Kai has done something to her. Damon tells her to not be negative but Elena finds Bonnie's blood on the cushion. Damon then uses a pager to contact Kai. While waiting for Kai's call, Elena wonders around the house and comes across Damon's video journals which he made during his time in the prison world. She starts playing it but Damon stops her from seeing it. He tries to cover it up by saying its an audition tape but Elena doesn't believe him. She tries to ask the truth but then the phone rings. Its Bonnie and she reveals to them how Kai left her to die in Portland and stole her blood. She tells them that she can make it to Mystic Falls in seven hours. As she hangs up, Damon starts to worry that Kai might be already out.
Later, Damon and Elena make blueberry pancakes together in the Salvatore kitchen. They sit down to eat them but before Damon can eat his, Elena makes fangs with the cream just like he used to do. Damon smiles and they start eating. Elena sees the news story about Kai's murderous rampage and wonders why Jo would hand over the ascendant. Damon tries to change the topic but is finally forced to admit that he compelled Alaric to steal it from her. Elena storms out of the kitchen and Damon goes after her. She thinks that his dedication to bring Bonnie back is only for her to see what a great guy he is and so she falls for him all over again. Elena lashes out at Damon for being so selfish and leaves.
Damon goes to see Elena on the Gilbert porch. He tells her that on May 10, 1994 he was mad at Stefan and acted out and a lot of people died. He has felt guilty ever since, which is why he thought that this was his personal hell. But Bonnie wouldn't let him believe it and had hope for both of them. He tells Elena that he is doing this for Bonnie and not for her. He confesses that they finally managed to become friends. Elena smiles at this and Damon goes and sits beside her at the swing. They both reach a new level of comfort and share smiles. When Elena says that the swing used to squeak, Damon says it did but he fixed it. He confesses that he used to come here everyday because this was the closest he had of a picture of her. Elena starts to get nostalgic about her old house and confesses, despite so many good memories, it took only one bad memory for her to burn it down. Damon encourages her to go inside the house and she agrees. Before opening the gate, she apologizes to Damon for compelling away the memories saying it was of both of them. He smiles and say they will make new ones and touches her face gently. They both smile and are having a moment when they feel something changing around them. They find themselves back in the cemetery in real world. Tyler and Liv are there and they both look sorry as Tyler says Kai is after Liv and they have to go to Mystic Falls. Elena starts to follow them, but the border of Mystic Falls stops her.
Elena and Damon are sitting beside the grave site, sad that their plan failed. But Damon gives her hope saying that as long as they have the ascendant they can try anytime. But then Kai finds them and uses magic to break the ascendant. Damon is eager to kill him, but Kai still has Liv's magic and incapacitates him. He goes towards Elena who is trying to fix the ascendant but he starts a spell to burn both of them. He uses invisibility to protect himself from Damon but he menages to locate him and sends Kai across the border to Mystic Falls. The fire stops but the ascendant is destroyed. Damon comforts Elena and asks if she is okay as Kai tells them he is ready to create havoc in Mystic Falls without any vampire to stop him.
Later, Alaric confronts Damon in the woods. He doesn't want to hear Damon's excuses that Kai getting out isn't their fault and punches him. Elena arrives and tries to comfort a sad Damon. He tells her he left Bonnie a note to meet them at the porch and knows she has probably reached there right now. He confesses how she sacrificed so much for all of them and now is left all alone in the prison world. Both feel sad over their failed mission to bring Bonnie back.
In Christmas Through Your Eyes, Elena and Damon are still looking for a way to bring back Bonnie. They are looking in Alaric's books for something that resembles an ascendant. Elena is watching Damon while he is sleeping. When he sees her gazing he smiles and asks her if she is watching him sleep. She teases him that she is watching him drool all over Alaric's textbook. Damon continues to search while Elena keep staring him. When Damon notices it, she thanks him for helping Bonnie. Alaric then calls them to inform that Jo has gone missing. They all gather at Jo's apartment and Elena reports about the stabbing victims brought into the hospital last night and now one of them is missing. She also says that no one has seen Jo. Damon says they should find Kai and kill him. He thinks that since he hid the knife in a painting at Jo's apartment, Kai will come looking for it and he will kill him. But when he sees the back of the painting the knife is not there. Damon and Alaric go to find Kai and kill him while Elena goes to the hospital to see Liz.
Later, they are talking through phone but the reception is horrible as Kai is taking all the travelers magic which was used in the anti magic spell in Mystic Falls. As he takes away all the magic, Mystic Falls is no longer magic free which means they all can go home again. Damon tells this to Elena over phone who says that she doesn't know what they were or are supposed to be but after a horrible day she wants to see him and has something to tell him. Damon asks her to come over, he will cook her dinner and they can talk about their crappy days. When Elena reaches the Salvatore house, she sees a Mistletoe hanging on the door and laugh's at Damon's clever antics. She knocks and Damon opens the door but he sees no one there. He closes the door and Elena is shocked when Kai appears behind her saying that he put a cloaking spell on them and then knocks her out.
Describing their Relationship
- "Because of Damon's feelings for Elena, thinking that, for the very first time in his life that he has a home, Elena is the one who helped Damon find his home and his home is Elena."
- —Kevin Williamson
- "That's the journey, I don't just want to throw them together tomorrow. I'd be sad. I want to see the kiss, I want to see the sweaty palms, I want to see it all go down."
- —Kevin Williamson
- "Even before anything happened in our series, Elena had been touched in her soul by this man."
- —Julie Plec
- "This year, she's had a very traumatic roller coaster of life experience and it's changed her irrevocably—and at the center of it all was the die hard belief that she loved Damon, that she loved him more than she'd ever loved anyone."
- —Julie Plec
- "I think that's what makes them as a couple so powerful. Even if the story line is them not dating, it's still a love story."
- —Caroline Dries
- "It was going to be something beautiful and epic, so the rain was a way of us [honoring] this group of fans who spent five years begging for this one thing. … I think it’s because of The Notebook … oh, and Spider-Man. Basically, there’s something about people coming together in the rain that’s the ultimate expression of love in the minds of most audiences"
- —Julie Plec
- "The show was so Delena-heavy. And their love was such an epic love and such a big story point for so many years that it's a strange dynamic now to have all that gone. Which is kind of what makes it interesting, because it's an Elena we've never seen before.""
- —Nina Dobrev
- "At the end of the day, it is for love and he's going to try everything he can to get her back and win her back,"
- —Ian Somerhalder
So many stories are about love at first sight, but we have to say that the most compelling ones are the ones that take their time with the build up, the thrill of the anticipation, until there’s so much unresolved sexual tension waiting to boil over the brim. That definitely fits Damon and Elena’s love story. He was the narcissistic evil vampire, who came to town to seek revenge on his younger brother, who Elena happened to develop an interest in. When everyone had written Damon off as a bad guy who couldn't be redeemed, Elena - who was unafraid of him and willing to call him on his crap- saw something in him that hinted he wasn't entirely evil. And so there marked the start of a tentative yet beautiful friendship. What’s so great about Damon and Elena is that they’re so true to life. Their relationship didn't happen overnight, it took some time. It wasn't perfect, and there were screw ups along the way. But that ‘way’ lead them to becoming friends and Damon falling for Elena. He’s always saving her from danger and she’s saving him from his dark self.
There’s an undeniable chemistry between her and Damon. We see it in the way they look at each other and the way they dance. Even when they’re fighting, there’s heat there. Even Elena admitted herself that being with Damon consumes her and she feels free.
These guys are more than just a simple love story. For three and a half seasons we've been captivated by Damon and Elena. Despite this, they've managed to gather thousands of fans from around the world and have so many talking about them and wondering what’s going to happen next, which is a true testament to how popular they are and their strong chemistry. They say that true love comes to those who wait and this couldn't be more true for Damon and Elena. It finally happened when she chose him in Season Four.
As the series continued on, Elena and Damon's relationship grew even more stronger leading them to wanting to have a future together.
In Season Six, Damon and Elena will be facing the ultimate obstacle. As Damon was unable to return to the land of the living in Season Five Finale, Home, he would be stuck in an another world and would be physically separated from Elena. Julie Plec says about their journey in season six: "Damon and Elena are obviously not together at the moment because he’s not with us. But I think what’s beautiful is in the show they are together spiritually because she’s missing him so deeply and he is dying to get back to her so profoundly. Even though, they’re not physically with each other, that’s what each of them want so badly and so much of the first part of the season is trying to draw them back together and then all the things that get in their way, and its bad. It’s bad, but it’s beautiful. Happy tears. Sad tears….So, they’re longing for each other and longing is just as beautiful as being together in a lot of ways too." 
The Rain Kiss Scene: The TVD boss explained that as the years have gone by, the idea of having a Damon and Elena kiss in the rain grew in the writers' room, but they knew that shooting the scene would come with many difficulties. "It's been sort of a frustrating request to fulfill because it's just so awful to shoot," she said.
But all hesitations and reservations were cast aside once the writers knew Damon needed to reference a hugely romantic moment, in hopes of triggering Elena's lost memories of their relationship.
"We were writing the story, and we were thinking, 'Okay, what could that memory be?' Plec recalled. "What was that summer that we skipped between season four and five where they had the summer of their lives?"
A meteor shower, a nearby waterfall and many more swoon-worthy ideas were thrown together in a brainstorm blender, before coming up with the perfect setting. "We were just pitching all of these ideas, and then all of a sudden — I don’t even know who it was, maybe it was me, maybe it was somebody else — [said] 'What if they kissed in the rain?'" she revealed.
The EP continued, "Then we laughed because we were like, 'Ohh the director is going to get killed by the people who hate Delena!' And the writers will get killed, but the people who love Delena are going to be so happy."
Plec believes that The Notebook was the spark that caused audiences to become so fixated on the idea of a couple kissing in the rain. "There's something about two people coming together in the rain that is the ultimate expression of love in the minds of most audiences, I guess," she shared.
The showrunner was thrilled with the way everything came together and described the final Delena rain kiss scene as both "beautiful and epic," before adding that it was also a way for the writers to pay tribute to such a devoted fandom.
"When you have a group of people who, for five years, have been begging for one little thing, and you find the perfect way to give it to them, that's called honoring your fans," Plec said. "And I believe [in] that so strongly."
Recurring Themes and Symbolism
- The Crow:
- Bonnie: That was weird. When I touched you, I saw a crow.
- Elena: What?
- Bonnie: A crow. There was fog, a man.
- These were Bonnie's words to Elena on the Pilot. When Bonnie and Elena are in the car, and Bonnie is telling Elena she's psychic, Elena challenges her to "Predict something about me." Bonnie says: "I see..." (A crow hits the windshield.). At the cemetery while Elena writes in her journal by her parent's gravesite she is bothered by black crow she tries to scare him away but he resurfaces behind her and we see the fog and a mysterious figure standing far ahead. Later after Vicki Donovan's attack she tells Elena that she saw a crow when she touched her and tells her that it's just the beginning. It's later revealed in the same episode that the crow was being influenced by Damon and it later resurfaces at the Salvatore Boarding House as Damon and Elena "meet" for the second time in The Night of the Comet. In the book series the crow holds an even deeper meaning to Damon and Elena's relationship, especially regarding Damon's character as he is able to shape-shift into the crow.
- The Delena Road-trips: Damon and Elena have been on several road-trips throughout their burgeoning friendship. It all started in season 1 after Damon saved Elena from her car crash in Bloodlines. It was the first time they truly bonded and fans got to see another side to Damon and Elena's dynamic and how great they could be togtherr. Damon and Elena continued going through many roadtripss, most of these times when on a mission or adventures to get some sort of information or finding and rescuing someone they care about, they constantly bicker and tease each other most of the time allowing the fans to see what a great dynamic duo they make. These times inclide; Bad Moon Rising, The End of the Affair, Heart of Darkness, The Five, Bring It On, Because the Night and Original Sin. It can also be noted that Elena is the only character aside from Damon to drive his car, she is the only female character to have driven his car.
- Salvatore Boarding House Fire Place: Many of Damon and Elena's most meaningful moments have been centered around the fireplace at the Salvatore Boarding House; quaking recognitions, gentle touch, hot embraces, long awaited meeting and heavy farewell, hearfeltt love declarations...etc Many fans see the fire as symbol of their relationship, of they're ever growing passion, love and the strong bond that unifies them. Many of their fireplace scenes were in Homecoming, where Elena told him that they would "always survive" which sort of became the epitome of their relationship as they survived the countless obstacles and complication thrown in their relationship, other scenes include; the first time they made love in My Brother’s Keeper, their warm embrace as they reunited in A View To A Kill, Their love declaration and Elena finally choosing Damon in Graduation, Damon's epic "You are my life" declaration in Original Sin, their 'quiet, peaceful' time on the couch by the fire in Handle with Care, their breakup in Fifty Shades of Grayson, when they once again try to end things and realize they can't stop loving each other in While You Were Sleeping, Damon finally lets her go in Rescue Me. The fire metaphor could also be attributed to Damon's words to Elena about a love that consumed her; passion, adventure and danger as all these elements can be attributed to fire and the strenght and power of their passion.
- Dances-"The Simple Intimacy of a Near Touch": Damon and Elena shared their first dance at the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant and according to Elena it was the first time she truly felt attracted to him as well as one of their most popular moments. It's speculated as the first time Elena saw Damon with different eyes and the first time he truly let her in. The couple continued sharing many dance scenes in The Last Dance, Dangerous Liaisons, The Five, My Brother’s Keeper, Monster's Ball and Do You Remember the First Time? but none would ever compare to the first. Their dances have always been kind of a tradition as Elena says it in Dangerous Liaisons. During the second Mystic Falls Pageant, Elena for the first time confesses her feelings for Damon and while the participants dances, they both gaze at each other as they remember their first dance. Later, at night, Elena admits she wanted to dance with Damon, so he takes her hand and they start slow dancing which ultimately leads to them making love for the first time.
- Bed Scenes: Before initiating a romantic relationship Damon and Elena have shared the same bed in multiple occasions; As I Lay Dying, The End of the Affair, Ordinary People and Heart of Darkness. In these scenes we got to see them talk, share heart to heart moments and the obvious sexual tension between the two. While dating also they both have talked and share stuff while laying beside each other in We'll Always Have Bourbon Street, O Come, All Ye Faithful, Original Sin and Rescue Me. The special thing about their bed scenes is that they always lay on their fixed sides. Elena always stays on the right side while Damon stays on the left. ('As I Lay Dying' is the exception to this, for in this scene, Damon is on the right side and Elena occupies the left)
- Iconic Rain Scene: The Delena Rain Kiss wish was inspired by a moment shared between Damon and Elena in Season 1 of the show, "when Stefan got kidnapped ... and Damon and Elena -- who heretofore hadn't worked together much -- had to go and rescue Stefan from the vampire house, from Fredrick in Let The Right One In. It was raining, and they're standing there talking to each other about rescuing Stefan, and it's one of those canon moments where people who started connecting with Damon and Elena as a potential couple always called out that moment as like, 'Oh God, one day! One day they'll be in the rain and they'll kiss,'. "And yet here we were this season when Damon was trying to win Elena back with saying, 'We loved each other' and her saying, 'Tell me a memory that mattered to you. I want to remember something.' We were writing the story and we were thinking, 'What could that memory be?'" And that's the moment they decided to go with rain kiss as a flashback to the summer of their lives, Damon's favorite memory that he relived in the past four months and the one memory Elena remembers bits and pieces of. It was the perfect moment for the scene. It was the story of this memory they share, and it was going to be something beautiful and epic. The rain kiss in Do You Remember the First Time?, was a way of honoring the fans that have spent five years begging for this one thing.
- Elena's Necklace: Even though Stefan gave Elena her necklace to protect her against Damon (the power of compulsion, specifically) it became more of a symbol of Damon and Elena's relationship. The first time we see this is at the end of Rose when Damon returns it to Elena after Elijah had ripped it from her neck. Damon then reveals that he loves her, but that it's selfish of him to say it as he doesn't deserve her. Damon then compels Elena to forget what he had revealed and returns her necklace. (Elena does remember this however in Growing Pains due to her transition into a vampire). For Elena's 18th birthday (The Birthday) Damon gives Elena her necklace back as a present. Elena was overjoyed as the necklace represented hope for her and Stefan- However Elena was also warmed by Damon's selflessness, that in that moment, she realized she loved him. The final time we see Damon retrieve Elena's necklace is from Katherine, during The Reckoning. As a gesture of comfort, Damon presents the necklace to her, hoping that it would cheer her up. Unfortunately the necklace only serves as a reminder that Stefan is gone.
- Hand Holding: Holding each other's hand has always been their way of comforting each other. It started when Damon takes her hand in Founder's Day and caresses it and then informs Stefan and her about the impending attack on Mystic Falls. After this, during several occasions they hold each other's hands, in The Last Day, Elena holds his hand after he expresses his sadness over her potential death and she tells him he won't lose her, in As I Lay Dying, Elena holds his hands while he is dying due to the werewolf bite, in Heart of Darkness, Damon holds her hand after they share a moment, in We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes, they hold hands after Elena thanks him for saving her life, in The Cell, Damon holds her hands after he promises her that he will get her out of the cell, in Home, they hold hands as they commit suicide to save Stefan, in I'll Remember, a hallucinated Damon comforts Elena by holding her hand and in Fade Into You, Elena holds Damon's hand as she asks him to bring her best friend back.
The Delena Soundtrack
- Temptation - Moby (Damon caresses Elena while she sleeps, Friday Night Bites)
- The Weight of Us - Sanders Bohlke (Damon offers to take away Jeremy's bad memories of Vickie, Haunted)
- Cosmic Love – Florence + The Machine (Elena wakes up after her car crash and finds herself with Damon, heading to Georgia, Bloodlines)
- All I Need - Within Temptation (Damon and Elena's first dance at the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant, Miss Mystic Falls)
- It Is What it Is - Lifehouse (Elena tells Damon to not make her regret their friendship, Founder's Day)
- Bloodstream - Stateless (Damon kisses Katherine, thinking it's Elena, Founder's Day)
- I Was Wrong - Sleepstar (Damon tells Elena he loves her for the first time and compels her to forget. Rose)
- No Way Out - Rie Sinclair and Mike Suby (Damon stops Elena from entering the Tomb, The Sacrifice)
- Last kiss - Trent Dabbs (Damon & Elena dance at the 60's Decade Dance The Last Dance)
- I Should Go - Levi Kreis (Elena says 'goodbye' to Damon as he's dying, As I Lay Dying)
- Make It Without You - Andrew Belle (Damon presents Elena with her vervain necklace on her 18th birthday, The Birthday)
- I Just Came to Say Hello - Martin Solveig & Dragonette (Damoon escorts Elena through her party The Birthday)
- Distance - Christina Perri (Elena wakes up with Damon in her bed. The End Of The Affair)
- We Don't Eat - James Vincent McMorrow (Damon & Elena bed scene Ordinary People)
- Echo - Jason Walker (Damon wants Elena to remember the feelings she's beginning to develop once Stefan is back, The Hybrid)
- Torch Song – Shady Band(Damon takes Elena from the hospital and carries her home, The Reckoning)
- Holding On Letting Go Ross Copperman (Their first real kiss, on her porch, The New Deal)
- Punching In A Dream - The Naked and Famous (The morning after their first kiss, Our Town)
- Devotion - Hurts (Damon see's Elena entering The Mikaelson's Ball, Dangerous Liaisons)
- Give Me Love - Ed Sheeran (Damon and Elena share a dance at the Mikaelson Ball, Dangerous Liaisons)
- Poison & Wine - The Civil Wars (Damon ignores Elena's call and her apology, All My Children)
- Never Let Me Go - Florence & The Machine (What happens in Denver, Stays in Denver!
- When The Light Dies Out – Christel Alsos (Rose talks to Jeremy about Damon and Elena, Heart of Darkness)
- Twice - Little Dragon (Elena remembers Damon's love confession, Growing Pains)
- Feel So Close - Calvin Harris (Damon & Elena dirty dance at a Whitmore frat party, The Five)
- The Thread Of The Thing - Fay Wolf (Damon takes the high and annoying road, We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes)
- Little Deschutes - Laura Veirs (Damon & Elena exchange longing looks during the Miss Mystic Falls pageant, My Brother’s Keeper)
- Kiss Me - Ed Sheeran (Damon & Elena dance and sleep together for the first time, My Brother’s Keeper)
- Eyes on Fire - Blue Foundation (Dammon & Elena's Morning After We'll Always Have Bourbon Street)
- Speechless - Morning Parade (Damon tries to let go of Elena after learning of the sire bond, We'll Always Have Bourbon Street)
- Covering Your Tracks - Amy Stroup (the morning after, O Come, All Ye Faithful)
- Oblivion - Bastille - (Damon sends Elena home, O Come, All Ye Faithful)
- New York - Snow Patrol (Elena tells Damon that she loves him over the phone, After School Special)
- Anymore Of This - Mindy Smith & Matthew Perryman Jones (Elena tells Damon that he prefers her this way, Bring It On)
- Belong - The Cary Brothers (Elena confesses that she loves Damon and she's not going to apologize for it, Graduation)
- Unbelievers - Vampire Weekend (An overview of Damon and Elena's passionate summer together, I Know What You Did Last Summer)
- Royals - Lorde (Elena gives Damon a goodbye kiss as she leaves for College in I Know What You Did Last Summer)
- Run Away - Cary Brothers (Elena calls Damon, I Know What You Did Last Summer)
- Don't Deserve You - Plumb (Elena promises to always love Damon, True Lies)
- Satellite Call - Sarah Bareilles (Damon declares that Elena is his life, Original Sin)
- Love Don't Die - The Fray (Damon and Elena's post break-up blues 500 Years of Solitude)
- Fire Breather - Laurel (Damon and Elena break up then sleep together, While You Were Sleeping)
- Do I Wanna Know? - Artic Moneys (Damon & Elena walk through the high school hallway, Rescue Me)
- Far from Yesterday - Amy Stroup (Damon lets Elena go back to Whitmore, Rescue Me)
- Outro - M83 ( Damon tells Elena that he can't be her friend, Resident Evil)
- Chemical - Kerli (Damon kisses Elena, What Lies Beneath)
- Love Is Just a Way to Die - I Am Strikes (Damon promises to make it back to Elena, Home)
- Be Alright - Lucy Rose (Damon says goodbye to Elena as she begs him to come back to her, Home)
- Wings - Birdy (Elena and the others watch as Jeremy screams for Bonnie, Damon and Bonnie fade away into the mysterious white light, Home)
- Light A Fire - Rachel Taylor (Elena tries to let go of Damon, I'll Remember)
- Salvation - Gabrielle Aplin (Elena packs all her memories of Damon in a box, Yellow Ledbetter)
- Sleeping At Last - All Through The Night (Elena reveals the moment that she fell in love with Damon, Yellow Ledbetter)
- The Power of Love - Gabrielle Aplin (Elena opens her Damon "memory box" and reads her journal where she learns of her feelings for him before her memories were erased, Black Hole Sun)
- Unbreakable - Jamie Scott (Damon and Elena see each other for the first time since Damon's death, The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get)
- Belong - The Cary Brothers (Damon and Elena dance at the Whitmore Homecoming Ball as he tries to make her remember, Do You Remember the First Time?)
- The Hardest Part - Nina Nesbitt (Elena & Damon stand at the edge of Mystic Falls in the hope of triggering her memories, Do You Remember the First Time?)
- Concrete Angel - Christina Novelli (Damon lets Elena go, Do You Remember the First Time?)
- Another Love - Tom Odell (The iconic rain kiss, Do You Remember the First Time?)
- When You Fall in Love - Andrew Ripp (Elena hold's Damon's hand as she asks him to help her bring Bonnie back, Fade Into You)
- Compass - Zella Day (Damon and Elena decide to make new memories, I Alone)
- Bonnie: That was weird. When I touched you, I saw a crow.
- Elena: What?
- Bonnie: A crow. There was fog, a man.
- -- Pilot
- Damon: I'm Damon,Stefan's brother.
- Elena: He didn't tell me he had a brother.
- Damon: Well, Stefan's not one to brag.
- Damon: I see why my brother's so smitten.It's about time. For a while there I never thought he'd get over the last one. Nearly destroyed him.
- Damon: I like you. You know how to laugh. And you make Stefan smile, which is something I haven't seen in a very long time.
- Elena: Earlier, did you mean... Katherine?
- Damon: Mm-hmm.
- Elena: How did she die?
- Damon: In a fire. Tragic fire.
- Elena: Recently?
- Damon: It seems like it was yesterday.
- Elena: What was she like?
- Damon: She was beautiful. A lot like you in that department. She was also very complicated and selfish and at times not very kind, but very sexy and seductive.
- Elena: So which one of you dated her first?
- Damon: Nicely deduced. Ask Stefan. I'm sure his answer differs from mine. I'd quit cheerleading if I were you.
- Elena: Why do you say that?
- Damon: Oh, I saw you at practice. You looked miserable.
- Elena: You saw that?
- Damon: Am I wrong?
- Elena: I used to love it. It was fun. Things are different this year. Everything that used to matter doesn't anymore.
- Damon: So don't let it. Quit, move on. Problem solved. Ta-da.
- Elena: Some things could matter again.
- Damon: Maybe. But... seems a little unrealistic to me.
- Elena: I'm sorry. About Katherine. You lost her, too.
- -- Friday Night Bites
- Elena: Is that "Damon Salvatore" and "Stefan Salvatore"?
- Damon: The original Salvatore brothers. Our ancestors. Tragic story actually.
- Damon: I want to apologize to you for being such a world class jerk the other night when I tried to kiss you. There's no excuse. My therapist says I'm acting out, trying to punish Stefan.
- Damon: Let's just say that the men in the Salvatore family have been cursed with sibling rivalry.
- Damon: The Salvatore name was practically Royalty in this town, until the war. There was a battle here.
- Elena: The Battle of Willow Creek.
- Damon: Right.
- Damon: Stefan and Damon had someone they loved very much in that church.
- Elena: Who was in the church that they wanted to save?
- Damon: A woman, I guess. Doesn't it always come down to the love of a woman?
- Elena: Look, I'm sorry you and Stefan have this thing between you. But I can't get in the middle of it, Damon. I just, I hope you two can work it out.
- Damon: I hope so too.
- -- Family Ties
- Elena: Is Stefan here?
- Damon: Yep!
- Elena: Where is he?
- Damon: And good morning to you, little miss “ I'm on a mission”.
- Elena: How can you be so arrogant and glib after everything that you've done?
- Damon: And how can you be so brave and stupid to call a vampire arrogant and glib?
- Elena: If you wanted me dead, I'd be dead.
- Damon: Yes, you would.
- Elena: But I'm not.
- Damon: Yet.
- -- Haunted
- Elena: So, why did you bring me with you?
- Damon: Well, you're not the worst company in the world, Elena. You should give yourself more credit!
- Elena: Seriously?
- Damon: You were there in the road, all damsel-in-distress-like. And, I knew it would piss off Stefan. And... you're not the worst company in the world, Elena.
- Elena: I used to be more fun.
- Damon: You did okay.
- Elena: I saved your life!
- Damon: I know.
- Elena: And don't you forget it!
- -- Bloodlines
- Damon: I'm gonna have to change the locks. Stage a jailbreak?
- Elena: Stefan.
- Damon: Ahh, brother. Ever the white knight.
- Elena: I convinced Bonnie to help you.
- Damon: I doubt that.
- Elena: I'm not gonna say that I'm sorry we got the Grimoire without you last night, because... I'm not, really.
- Damon: Well, at least you're honest.
- Elena: I was protecting the people I love, Damon. But so were you, in your own twisted way. And as hard as it is to figure, we're all on the same side, after the same thing.
- Damon: Not interested.
- Elena: Yes you are, because you were willing to work with us yesterday.
- Damon: Fool me once, shame on you.
- Elena: Okay, when we were in Atlanta, why didn't you use your compulsion on me?
- Damon: Who's to say I didn't?
- Elena: (pauses and stutters) You didn't. I know you didn't, but you could have. You and I, we have some something.
- (Damon swallows nervously.)
- Elena: An understanding. And I know that my betrayal hurt you, different from how it is with you and Stefan, but I'm promising you this now, I will help you get Katherine back.
- Damon: I wish I could believe you.
- Elena: Ask me if I'm lying now. (Takes off her necklace)
- Damon: You know Anna won't stop by the way, no matter what I do.
- Elena: Then we'll deal with it.
- Damon: I didn't compel you in Atlanta because we were having fun. (Puts her necklace back on her) I wanted it to be real. I'm trusting you, don't make me regret it.
- -- Fool Me Once
- Elena: But you took a risk with Damon. How did you know that he was gonna give it to me?
- Isobel: Because he's in love with you.
- Damon: Oh and when you do tell Elena and she needs a friend to talk to about anything, I’m here for her.
- -- Isobel
- Damon: Why is it such a surprise that I would try and kiss you?
- Elena: That's... not a surprise.
- (Damon looks at her questioningly.)
- Elena: I'm surprised you thought I'd kiss you back.
- Damon: ...Now I'm hurt. (Walks off)
- Damon: You're surprised that I thought you'd kiss me back; you can't imagine that I'd believe that you'd want to.
- Elena: Damon...
- Damon: Yet, what we've been doing here--means something. You're the liar, Elena...There is something going on between the two of us and you know it. And you're lying to me, and you're lying to Stefan but worst of all you're lying to yourself. I can prove it.
- (Damon kisses Elena.)
- Elena: Damon don't! What is wrong with you?
- Damon: Lie about this.
- Elena: Stop it! You're better than this. Come on!
- Damon: That's where you're wrong.
- Elena: No, no, no, I care about you! Listen to me! I care about you! I do, but I love Stefan, it's always going to be Stefan.
- -- The Return
- Damon: You have every right to hate me, I understand but you hated me before and we became friends. It would suck if that was gone forever. So, is it? Have I lost you forever?
- Elena: Thank you for the book, Damon.
- Damon: Road trips work well for us.
- Elena: This doesn’t mean that things are back to the way they used to be, Damon.
- Damon: Oh come on! You know I chipped a little bit off of your wall of hatred.
- Elena: I need to know the truth. When you broke Jeremy’s neck, did you know that he was wearing the ring?
- Damon: No. No, I didn’t. Katherine really pissed me off and I snapped and… I got lucky with the ring. I don’t know what I would done of he wasn’t wearing it. Elena, I’m sorry.
- Elena: Thank you for being honest with me and the answer to your question, about our friendship is yes. You have lost me forever.
- Damon: But you knew that already, didn’t you? You used me today.
- Elena: You had information about Katherine that I needed to know.
- Damon: I thought friends don’t manipulate friends. You and Katherine have a lot more in common than just your looks.
- -- Bad Moon Rising
- Damon: Elena... I riled Katherine up, I... I wasn't thinking, I didn't think.
- Elena: It doesn't matter Damon. She won... Katherine won.
- -- Plan B
- Damon: Cute PJ's.
- Elena: I'm tired Damon.
- Damon: Brought you this. (holding Elena's necklace)
- Elena: I thought that was gone. Thank you... (reaches for it, and Damon pulls it back) please give it back...
- Damon: I just have to say something.
- Elena: Why do you have to say it with my necklace?
- Damon: Because what I'm about to say is...probably the most selfish thing I've ever said in my life.
- Elena: Damon, don't go there.
- Damon: No. I have to say it once, you just need to hear it...I love you, Elena. And it's because I love you that I can't be selfish with you, and why you can't know this. I don't deserve you, but my brother does. (Kisses Elena on the forehead) God, I wish you didn't have to forget this. But you do. (sheds a tear, compels Elena to forget his confession and leaves. Elena blinks, and when she opens her eyes, Damon is gone, and she's wearing her necklace).
- -- Rose
- Damon: You were supposed to leave.
- Elena: I did but then I came back to make sure that you’re okay.
- Damon: I appreciate the gesture. I’m just glad it’s over.
- Elena: You know I don’t believe that.
- Damon: Go home, Elena. Get some rest. It’s a whole new day tomorrow.
- Elena: Damon, I’m your friend.
- Damon: I’m well aware of that.
- Elena: And a friend usually knows when their friend is hurting.
- Damon: What do you want to hear? That I cared about Rose? That I’m upset? Well I didn't and I’m not.
- Elena: There you go, pretending to turn it off, pretending not to feel. Damon, you’re so close, don’t give up.
- Damon: I feel Elena, okay? And it sucks! What sucks even more is that it was supposed to be me. Jules was coming after me.
- Elena: You feel guilty.
- Damon: That would be human of me, wouldn't it Elena? And I’m not human. You want to talk about giving up? That's all you've done is given up! Go home. It’s been enough doom, gloom and personal growth for one night.
- Elena: Okay, I will. (She embraces him) Good night Damon.
- -- The Descent
- Damon: See, that's why I didn't tell you. 'Cause you would have never been able to do it. Don't get me wrong, Stefan. I don't mind being the bad guy. I'll make all the life and death decisions while you're busy worrying about collateral damage. I'll even let her hate me for it. But at the end of the day, I'll be the one to keep her alive.
- Damon: Ugh. Look. Klaus had to think she was dead. Your reaction had to be real.
- Elena: I understand why you did what you did. Klaus was fooled, and Bonnie's alive.
- Damon: Here's to duplicity.
- Elena: But let's get one thing straight, Damon. Bonnie will not die for me, I will not let that happen.
- Damon: We need to kill Klaus, Elena. Real Klaus. Who will probably be coming to pay you a visit soon now that he knows that Bonnie is dead. She's the only one who can do it.
- Elena: We'll find another way.
- Damon: I hope so.
- Elena: Look, I shouldn't have hit you.
- Damon: Apology accepted. Let me be clear about something. If it comes down to you and the witch again, I will gladly let Bonnie die. I will always... choose...you.
- (She doesn’t say anything for a moment)
- Elena: Goodnight, Damon.
- Damon: Goodnight.
- (She looks at him and leaves.)
- -- The Last Dance
- Damon:If you come back as a vampire, I'll stake you myself. Because I can't stand the idea of you hating me forever.
- Damon: That'll get easier. But you knew that.
- Elena: What do you want?
- Damon: I want to apologize.
- Elena: Damon…
- Damon: Please. Elena, feeding you my blood, I was wrong.
- Elena: Yes, you were.
- Damon: And I know I don't deserve your forgiveness, but... I need it.
- Elena: And I need some time, maybe a lot of time.
- Damon: Sure. Of course, take all the time you need.
- Damon: Elena.
- Elena: It's okay, Damon. I'm right here.
- Damon: Elena, get out of here. I could hurt you.
- Elena: No. You won't. I'm here until the very end. I'm not leaving you.
- Damon: Get out of here.
- Elena: Hey, hey, hey, hey. Hang on. Shh. It's okay. It's okay. It's okay.
- Damon: It's not okay. It's not okay. All those years, I've blamed Stefan. No one forced me to love her. It was my own choice.
- Elena: Shh.
- Damon: I made the wrong choice. You tell Stefan I'm sorry. Okay?
- Elena: I will.
- Damon: This is even more pitiful than I thought.
- Elena: There’s still hope.
- Damon: I have made a lot of choices that have gotten me here. I deserve this. I deserve to die.
- Elena: No, (lays beside Damon) you don’t.
- Damon: I do, Elena. It’s okay, ‘Cause if I had chosen differently, I couldn’t have met you. I’m so sorry. I have done so many things to hurt you.
- Elena: It’s okay. I forgive you.
- Damon: I know you love Stefan, and it will always be Stefan. But Elena, I love you. (Elena starts crying) You should know that.
- Elena: I do.
- Damon: You should have met me in 1864. Maybe you would have liked me...
- Elena: I like you now… just the way you are. (Elena kisses Damon)
- Damon: Thanks.
- Elena: You’re welcome.
- Damon: I was wrong.
- Elena: ...Are you drunk?
- Damon: No. I thought Stefan was gone but I was wrong.
- Elena: You saw him out there? Damon, is he okay?
- Damon: No, he's not okay, Elena. He's an insufferable martyr who needs his ass kicked. But he can be saved.
- Elena: What happened out there? What changed your mind?
- Damon: I changed my mind because even in his darkest place, my brother still can't let me die. So I figure I owe him the same in return. I'll help you bring him back.
Elena: Thank you.
Damon: But before I do, I need you to answer one question. What made you change your mind?
Elena: What do you mean?
Damon: You were so hellbent on staying on that mountain, then you just gave up. So what changed your mind?
Elena: We were under attack, Damon.
Damon: You had a bag full of weapons and a teacher with an eternity ring. You could have kept going.
Elena: It was too dangerous.
Damon: It was too dangerous going out there to begin with, so what was it?
Elena: Why are you being like this?
Damon: What changed your mind, Elena?
Elena: I didn't want to see you get hurt, okay? I was...I was worried about you.
(He begins to leave.)
Elena: Yes, I worry about you. Why do you even have to hear me say it?
(Turns around, walks to her, and touches her face)
Damon: Because when I drag my brother from the edge and deliver him back to you, I want you to remember the things you felt while he was gone. Goodnight, Elena.
- -- The Hybrid
- Elena: He's really gone this time. I watched it happen. After everything we went through to get...to help him now he's just...gone. Where were you, Damon?
Damon: I shouldn't of left, I promise you I will never leave you again.
- -- The Reckoning
- Elena: You played your part of the plan really well tonight.
- Damon: Oh, yeah?
- Elena: You had Rebekah drooling all over you and your marshmallows.
- Damon: Yeah, before she skewered me. I thought you were too drunk to notice.
- Elena: I was faking most of it.
- Damon: So was I.
- -- Smells Like Teen Spirit
- Elena: How did this happen?
- Damon: We thought of everything, Elena! Klaus having hybrids. Mikael turning on us. We brought in Katherine so you weren`t in danger. Anything that could have gone wrong we were prepared!
- Elena: I don`t understand. Stefan wanted Klaus dead. More than anything. That`s what we were counting on.
- Damon: We blew it.
- Elena: Where`s Katherine?
- Damon: She ran for the hills like usual, the minute things got bad! And who blames her?! Klaus would`ve crushed her. I had him, Elena. I had Klaus! This could have all been over!!!
- Elena: Hey. Damon... Hey! Hey, listen to me! We`ll survive this. We always survive. Trust me.
- Damon: We`re never getting Stefan back. You know that, don`t you?
- Elena: Then we`ll let him go. Okay? We`ll have to let him go.
- -- Homecoming
- Elena: I feel like a horrible person.
- Damon: You just saved his life, Elena. Take it from me, strange is bad, dead is worse.
- Elena: I just can't stop thinking about what happened the last time I asked you to compel him.
- Damon: He found out. And he got over it. Again: not dead, Elena! He's so lucky to have you for his sister.
- Elena: Thank you.
- Damon: No problem.
- Elena: Not just for this, Damon. For everything...I don't know what I would do if you weren't here.
- Damon: You should know this, Elena. Stefan didn't screw us over. He screwed us over but he had a good reason.
- Elena: What?
- Damon: He saved Klaus to save me. Then he stole the coffins to get even.
- Elena: What? Damon, if he did it to protect you then...Why would he even do that? What is it even mean?
- Damon: What's it even mean?.....Means I'm an idiot. 'Cause I thought for one second that I wouldn't have to feel guilty anymore.
- Elena: What? What are you talking about? Guilty for what?
- Damon: For wanting what I want.
- Elena: Damon...
- Damon: I know. Believe me, I get it...Brother's girl and all.No,no, you know what? If I'm gonna feel guilty about something, I'm gonna feel guilty about this. (walks up to and kisses Elena)
- -- The New Deal
- Elena: You can't kiss me again.
- Damon: I know.
- Elena: I can't. It's not right.
- Damon: It's right. Just not right now.
- -- Our Town
- Elena: Damon just sort of snuck up on me. He got under my skin and no matter what I do I just – I can’t shake him.
- Matt: Once you fall in love with someone, I don’t know if – I don’t know if you can ever shake them.
- -- 1912
- Elena: Why don't you let people see the good in you?
- Damon: Because when people see good, they expect good. And I don't want to have to live up to someone's expectations.
- Rose: It’s not just that she makes him a better person, she does, but he changes her too. Damon challenges her, surprises her, he makes her question her life, beliefs. Stefan is different, his love is pure, he’ll always be good for her. Damon is either the best thing for her or the worst.
- -- Heart of Darkness
- Elena: When I’m with him (Damon), he just consumes me.
- Damon: Katherine.
- Elena: No – um – I I’m Elena.
- Damon: Oh, you – you just look… I’m sorry, you just really remind me of someone. I’m Damon.
- Elena: Not to be rude or anything, Damon, but it’s kind of creepy that you’re out here in the middle of nowhere.
- Damon: You’re one to talk. You’re out here all by yourself.
- Elena: It’s Mystic Falls. Nothing bad ever happens here. Got into a fight with my boyfriend.
- Damon: About what? May I ask.
- Elena: Life, future, he’s got it all mapped out.
- Damon: And you don’t want it?
- Elena: I don’t know what I want.
- Damon: Well, that’s not true. You want what everybody wants.
- Elena: What? Mysterious stranger who has all the answers?
- Damon: Hmm, well, let’s just say I’ve been around a long time. I’ve learned a few things.
- Elena: So, Damon, tell me. What is it that I want?
- Damon: You want a love that consumes you. You want passion, an adventure, and even a little danger.
- Elena: So, what do you want? It’s my parents.
- Damon: I want you to get everything that you’re looking for, but right now I want you to forget that this happened. Can’t have people knowing that I’m in town yet. Goodnight, Elena. (Compels her to forget)
- -- The Departed
- Elena: I remember everything. One of the highlights of my transition, remembering everything you compelled me to forget. Like how you and I met first. You were a stranger that told me you wanted me to get everything I wanted from life. Damon, why didn’t you tell me?
- Damon: Would it have made a difference? … I didn’t think so.
- Elena: If it were you at the bridge last night and not Stefan, and I begged you to save Matt...
- Damon: I would have saved you, in a heartbeat. No question!
- Elena: So I thought. And Matt would be dead, cause you couldn't let go. Matt would be dead!
- Damon: But you wouldn't be! And you would have gotten to grow up and had the life that you wanted, the life that you deserved. And I know I didn't used to get that but I do now. And I wanted that for you, Elena, and I would have gladly given it to you and let Matt die because I AM that selfish. But you knew that already. The first night we met is not all that you remember.
- --- Growing Pains
- Elena: Why am I thinking about you?
- Damon: Because you're a vampire now. And part of you knows that you're more like me than you are like him.
- --- The Rager
- Elena: So he didn't tell you why?
- Damon: Nope. But I'm sure it has something to do with you acting weird so... why don't you tell me?
- Elena: You.
- Elena: Jeremy can't live with me, Stefan wants to fix me and Caroline flat out admitted that she doesn't like me this way. I think it's safe to say that I'm not so great at this vampire thing.
- Damon: Wanna know what I think? I don't think I've ever seen you more alive.
- Elena: That dance that they did today, kind of reminded me of..
- Damon: When we danced together.
- Elena: I wanted to dance with you today.
- --- My Brother's Keeper
- Elena: Hey.
- Damon: Hey back.
- Elena: How was your night?
- Damon: Awful. Yours?
- Elena: Same.
- Damon: Elena, um... we need to talk.
- Elena: I know that I'm sired to you, Damon.Caroline told me. That's what you and Stefan were doing, isn't it? Is there a way to break it?
- Damon: Not exactly. Which is why we need to talk.
- Elena: Tyler told me the bond doesn't affect how I feel, just the way I act. My feelings for you haven't changed, Damon. Nothing has changed.
- Damon: Everything has changed, Elena.
- Elena: Okay, fine, yeah, I mean, I've changed. So have you, Damon. And I'm happy. Just like you were yesterday morning before we knew about any of this.
- Damon: You know what would make me happy? To know that this entire time that I've been completely in love with you; that what you actually felt for me; was real.
- Elena: It is real. I know that it is. Damon, I know what you're about to do. Please, don't do this to me.
- Damon: I don't want to do this, Elena. I'm not the good guy, remember? I'm the selfish one. I take what I want. I do what I want. I lie to my brother, I fall in love with his girl, I don't do the right thing.But I have to do the right thing by you.
- (Elena takes Damon's hand and places it against her heart.)
- Elena: Does this feel wrong?
- (Elena places one of her hands against Damon's cheek.)
- Elena: Does this feel wrong?
- --- We'll Always Have Bourbon Street
- Damon: I told him I would set you free. Right after I didn't tell him that we slept together
- Elena: So what do you wanna do?
- Damon: I wanna throw you back in my bed and never let you leave.
- Elena: So do it.
- (Elena's phone is ringing)
- Damon: Saved by the cell phone.
- Elena: Last time I was here I was so completely in love with Stefan. Now that's barely a memory. Is that the sire bond or just that I'm so happy to be here with you?
- Damon: I was supposed to do the right thing by you and the right thing by my brother. Which is what I'm gonna do right now. You're gonna go home.
- Elena: What? No, Damon...
- Damon: I'm gonna stay here with Jeremy. I'm gonna help him complete the mark. I'll teach him how to hunt. I'll protect him. And we'll kill vampires without you.
- Elena: Damon, please...
- Damon: I'm setting you free, Elena. This is what I want. This is what will make me happy.
- --- O Come, All Ye Faithful
- Elena: I didn't sleep with Damon because of the sire bond. I slept with Damon because I'm in love with him.
- Elena: Being with Damon makes me happy.When I'm with him... it feels unpredictable, like... like I'm free.
- Elena: I realized something today....about you......about us....And you can say that it's the sire bond. You know what?....Maybe it is. BUT I'm telling you it's the most real thing..that I've ever felt in my entire life...I love you... Damon....... I love you.
- Damon: Look...I'm gonna get this cure for you.........And I'm gonna have to do things that you are not going to like.
- Elena: Damon.....
- Damon: Listen carefully,....Get in your car, right now and COME TO ME.
- Elena: I'll be there soon.
- ---- After School Special
- Elena: Because I love you. Because you love me. You'd do anything for me.
- Damon: I'm sorry, Elena.
- --- Catch Me If You Can
- Elena: That’s what you do Damon, you think you don’t deserve something so you ruin it. I’m not gonna let you pull that this time! Take the cure with me! That’s how much I know this is real, that’s how certain I am that I’m gonna love you even after all this is over. Take the cure. Be human with me. We can be together, grow old together… this doesn’t have to be hard anymore.
- Damon: You know, I used to miss being human. Now I can’t think of anything more miserable on earth.
- --- Into the Wild
- Elena: Be honest; you like me better like this.
- --- Bring It On
- Stefan: You, my friend, will be right by her side, ready to help her through it.
- Damon: I wanted to apologize.
- Elena: Good.
- Damon: Let me finish. I said I wanted to. And then I realized, I'm not sorry.
- Elena: You would rather die than be human, and you expect me to be okay with that?
- Damon: I didn't say you were supposed to be okay with it, I just said I'm not sorry. But you know what I really am? Selfish, because I make bad choices that hurt you. Yes, I would rather have died than be human. I'd rather die right now than spend a handful of years with you, only to lose you when I'm too old and sick and miserable and you're still you. I'd rather die right now than spend my last final years remembering how good I had it and how happy I was, because that's who I am, Elena, and I'm not gonna change. And there's no apology in the world that encompasses all the reasons that I'm wrong for you.
- Elena: Fine, then I'm not sorry either. I'm not sorry that I met you. I'm not sorry that knowing you has made me question everything, that in death you're the one that made me feel most alive. You've been a terrible person, you've made all the wrong choices, and of all the choices that I've made this will prove to be the worst one. But I am not sorry that I'm in love with you. I love you, Damon. I love you.
- Damon: You okay?
- Elena: Yeah, I've just got this feeling like something bad's about to happen.
- Damon: Well, it is. You're leaving tomorrow. You're trading all this for communal showers and a meal plan.
- Elena: Can't you just be a normal boyfriend and support me as I attempt to have a normal college experience?
- Damon: I'd rather ply you with champagne, and spend the night convincing you to stay.
- Damon: And, for the record, I am secure enough in our relationship that you having psychic dreams about your ex-boyfriend does not bother me (They kiss)...but it still sucks. (They kiss)
- Elena: I love you. We're gonna save Stefan, and... I'm still gonna love you, okay? (They kiss)
- ---True Lies
- Damon: What, you think I am? I mean, no one tells me how I live my life, no one tells me who I love, especially not some vindictive prehistoric witch, and definitely not the universe. And I'm not gonna let someone else's idea of destiny stop me from loving you or being with you or building a future with you, because... You are my life.
- ---Original Sin
- Damon: People are full of surprises. (Elena buries her head between her arms, laying face down on the floor.) Oh, hey. (He approaches the bars that separate them.) I am so, so sorry I got you caught up in this. (He reaches for her hand.) Hey. Look at me. Hey. (She looks up.) But I promise you I will get you out of here, okay? Okay? (She holds his hand with both of hers.) I'll get you out of here.
- Elena: Wes is gonna come back down here, and we'll both be the newest Augustine experiment. You have to tell me how you got out of here, Damon.
- Damon: You don't want to know, Elena.
- Elena: Why? You think I'm gonna judge you? Damon, I love you. I love you, and these people tortured you for 5 years. Whatever you had to do, I don't care.
- ---The Cell
- Elena: My dad used his research to save people, Damon, children, families.
- Damon: Yeah. And dissected vampires along the way. News flash, Elena. You are a vampire. I mean, do you honestly think that he would sit here and see you as anything more?
- Elena: I don't know. He was my dad. I can't not defend him.
- Damon: No. I know you can't because you do it for me all the time.
- Elena: I'm not defending you. I'm not defending your decision to kill Aaron's entire family, to go out of town and kill the aunt while we were still together.
- Damon: So why are you still here? I’m bad, Elena, I am bad for you, so why wouldn't you have run away from me as far as humanly possible?
- Elena: Because I love you, Damon. Because I chose you, and because I stand by my choice.
- Damon: Well, now I’m choosing, and I’m choosing to let you go.
- Elena: What? No, Damon.
- Damon: I am choosing to not have to think about how you must feel every time some ghost from my past comes into our life. I’m choosing to relieve you of having to defend me for every awful thing I have ever done.
- Elena: Stop acting like I’m perfect. Damon, I've done horrible things, too. You think I’m gonna stand here and judge you after I find out that you have been tortured for 5 years?
- Damon: Stop defending me! I won’t change who I am. I can’t. But I refuse to change you.
- ---Fifty Shades of Grayson
- Stefan: You know, whatever's going on with you and Elena, you need to fix it. She's the best thing that ever happened to you.
- Damon: You think I don't know that? I can't live without her, but when you think about it, I'm no better than Katherine. Elena will be happier without me.
- ---500 Years of Solitude
- Damon: You are literally the best person I've ever known and for me to think I could change you gives me way too much credit; and you not nearly enough. You are the best influence on me. I need you. You are the good and I need a little good in my life. Because without it, there's an awful lot of darkness.
- ---Damon to Katherine impersonating Elena in The Devil Inside
- Damon: Hey you.
- Elena: Hey you.
- Damon: So eaten anyone yet?
- Elena: Nope! So far, I am symptom free, although Stefan still has me on the, uhh, Damon diet. Just in case.
- Damon: Ahhh. Yeah. It sucks. You're going to be craving carbs constantly, but hey, you know what? There's a plus side. You get to keep your girlish figure.
- Elena: Hey, I'm calling you on a payphone.
- Damon: Well, how retro of you! Does that mean you memorized my phone number?
- Elena: Maybe... Katherine put a password on my cell, so I can't use it.
- Damon: Ahhhhh! That would explain all those crazy instagram pics you've been uploading lately.
- Elena: What?
- Damon: Kidding! Kidding!
- Elena: Damon! That's not funny! I have no idea what I've been doing for the last three weeks.
- Damon: I know, I'm sorry. Well, what'd you want to know? I'll tell you.
- Elena: How did she do it?
- Damon: How did she do what?
- Elena: Break your heart.
- Damon: Oh that I don't know. It's not like it has been playing on a loop in my head over and over again. So, I don't really remember.
- Elena: I'm so sorry. I really am. I mean the last thing I remember, I was running into your arms and—and I felt so safe.
- Damon: Well, it was all downhill from there.
- Elena: I wanted to fight for you. I still do.
- Damon: Oh, Elena, the second we’re cured of this and we don’t wanna rip each other’s heads off, I am gonna hunt you down and give you the most mind-blowing night of your life.
- Elena: I think I could schedule you in.
- Damon: I should come over there.
- Elena: You can't. We would tear each other apart, remember? Besides, I look gross.
- Damon: Oh yeah? Well... never mind. That would be awful.
- Elena: Distract me.
- Damon: Alright. What are you wearing?
- Elena: Damon... Come on.
- Elena: You should've noticed.
- Damon: What?
- Elena: That I was Katherine, Katherine was me. You should've been the one that noticed.
- Damon: You don't think I know that?
- Elena: If only you'd seen through her, Damon. There would be no vampire virus, Aaron would still be alive.
- Damon: Katherine didn't do this. I did! I thought you broke my heart, so I ripped open Aaron's neck: THAT is how much control you have over me.
- Elena: And I'm still here! That's how much control you have over me!
- Damon: Listen to us! This is toxic! We are in a toxic relationship, Elena! I just killed your friend and you find someone else to blame!
- Elena: You want me to blame you? Easy! Done! You screwed up, Damon. Again!
- Damon: Thank you!
- Elena: You put me in a position where I have to defend you—again. Where I have to bend my morals—again. Where I have to go against every single thing that I believe in—again—because I love you!
- Damon: Then stop loving me!
- Elena: I can’t!
- Damon: Well, that’s the problem. We don’t work!
- Elena: I know.
- Damon: Then we agree. This has to end.
- Elena: It just did. It’s over. We’re over.
- (They stand there and stare into each other's eyes for a second until Damon kisses her and they end up having break up sex)
- ---While You Were Sleeping
- Elena: Just because Jeremy's a bad student, it doesn't mean that he's cheating on Bonnie.
- Damon: You're making excuses for someone you love. That's what you do. The worse the behavior, the more you try to defend it.
- Elena: And you keep trying to make this about us.
- Damon: Because you keep trying to make it about anything else!
- Elena: You know what? Fine, but don't pretend you came here for Jeremy. If you wanna talk about last night, talk!
- Damon: Here's the thing, Elena; I don't know what to say, or do, or think.. All I know is that right now... I want to rip your clothes off, right here in the middle of this hall and throw you into one of these classrooms and kiss every square inch of your body, while a bunch of people that drive mini-vans listen wishing they were us. That's probably a bad idea, right?
- Elena (with quivering lips): Right.
- Damon: Right. See you in class.
- Damon: Something tells me you're not packing for our honeymoon.
- Elena: I'm going back to campus.
- Damon: You realize that you leaving doesn't solve anything, right? I mean, especially now that Jeremy's free and clear of our horrible influence.
- Elena: It's not about Jeremy. It's about us. It's not just that we're bad for each other. It's just that when we're together, we do bad things for each other. And I can't live like that.
- Damon: I'll drive you to Whitmore.
- Elena: If you do that, then I'm going to spend the whole car ride thinking about your hand next to mine and even though I'll try, I won't be able to stop myself from taking it. Or from letting you kiss me. And we're never going to get to where we need to go, we'll just end up back here, where we started. That's why I need you to let me go.
- (Damon walks over to Elena and puts his hands on her face)
- Elena: Damon...
- (Instead of kissing her on the lips, he kisses her on the forehead and lets her go.)
- Damon: Travel safe.
- ---Rescue Me
- Elena: What are you doing out here?
- Damon: Ahh... you know. Looking at the stars, listening to the universe laugh at me.
- Elena: Damon...
- Damon: We were doomed from the beginning Elena. We were always gonna end up here.
- Elena: Damon, they are just visions. As soon as we find Markos they will stop.
- Damon: And then what? We are friends? Can't wait.
- Elena: Look I know we are in a little bit of weird place right now. Hey look at me! The universe doesn't control anything. It's not real.
- Damon: I think we need some rules here because If I am not allowed to drive you home then I definitely don't think you are allowed to ambush me in my bedroom.
- Elena: I just... I just wanted to say thank you. Whatever you did it worked.
- Damon: Oh, I'm sorry to tear you away from paradise.
- Elena: It was paradise actually.
- Damon: I told you I don't want to know.
- Elena: But you need to know. I saw a perfect life. Stefan and I were married with kids. It was everything that we wanted.
- Damon: Well we can always ask Markos to put it back.
- Elena: But its not real. You and I, we are messy and complicated but we are real.
- Damon: And really bad for each other. Did you forget that part?
- Elena: Yeah but I still need you in my life.
- Damon: As friends right? No Elena I can't be your friend. It's too damn hard.
- Elena: Damon...
- Damon: No! I'm serious Elena. I can't see you anymore. I don't wanna hear your voice, I don't wanna talk to you, I don't even wanna look at you. And I'm sure as hell don't wanna be your friend.
- Elena: If that's what you want...
- Damon: That's what I want.
- Elena: Okay... yeah... Okay.
- ---Resident Evil
- Elena: Hey.
- Damon: Hey. We're leaving. Pack your stuff.
- Elena: I will. I just came out to see how you're doing.
- Damon: I'm in a hurry. You should be, too. The Travelers can find us.
- Elena: So that's it? We're not gonna talk about this?
- Damon: What's there to talk about?
- Elena: I'm sorry that I lied to you.
- Damon: I don't care that you lied. Really.
- Elena: Okay, I'm confused. Why are you being like this?
- Damon: Because you were right, Elena. You wanted to protect me so I wouldn't spiral because if I spiraled then it would prove that we shouldn't be together... But I didn't spiral! Despite every nerve in my body wanting to break something or hurt someone or do all the wrong things for all the right reasons, I'm holding it together the best I can—for you.
- Elena: But you're still mad at me?
- Damon: Of course I'm still mad at you. Because being around you drives me nuts—and not being around you drives me nuts.
- Elena: Okay. Now I'm really confused.
- (After a long moment, Damon moves toward Elena and kisses her passionately.)
- Elena: What was that for?
- Damon: Because I've had a really crappy day, and I needed it.
- ---What Lies Beneath
- (Elena kisses Damon)
- Damon: What was that for?
- Elena: I've had a really crappy day, and I needed it. I thought I was never gonna see you again... and I couldn't think of a worse way to die.
- Damon: Oh. Well, I guess today's your lucky day.
- ---Promised Land
- Damon: Listen... I wanted to spare you the gory details, and then I figured, well, I'll be lying, and then the whole point of the universe would be moot because you'd be pissed. So here it is, project kaboom needs someone to trigger the explosion, so-to-speak.
- Elena: Okay... Wait... You? No. Damon, no! Absolutely not.
- Damon: Go with your first instinct, Damon, lesson learned.
- Elena: Look at me, Damon.
- (She grabs him by the face and forces him to look into her eyes)
- Elena: Do you see a future with me? Because that's all I see.
- Damon: Elena, I've seen it since the second I laid my eyes on you.
- Elena: Then don't go on a suicide mission!
- Damon: Listen... technically, it's only half a suicide mission because we're going to be bringing people back from the other side and I'm going to be with them.
- Elena: Well, what if something goes wrong?
- Damon: Alright... not to relive old fights, but—this is my choice. I need you to respect it.
- Elena: That was a low blow...
- Damon: I will make it back to you, I promise.
- (Elena looks at him for a moment and then kisses him passionately)
- Damon: I promise you.
- Elena: You lied to me.
- (Damon goes over and stroke's Elena's hair and face. She feels it, but can not see his hand)
- Damon: Even if I wanted to apologize, you couldn't hear me... so I won't.
- Elena: Please don't leave me.
- Damon: I don't have a choice, baby. You are, by far, the greatest thing that has ever happened to me in my 173 years on this Earth. The fact that I get to die knowing I was loved—not just by anyone—but by you, Elena Gilbert. It's the epitome of a fulfilled life. It’s never gonna get any better than this. I peaked.
- (Damon wipes the tears from her face)
- Damon: I love you, Elena
- Elena: Please... please... come back to me.
- Damon: Bye.
- Elena: I tried to grieve him, Caroline. Trust me, I know grief. I've got grieving down to a science at this point, and I tried. But every time I let it sink in that I'm never gonna see him again, I feel like I'm gonna die.
- Elena: I don't think I can live forever without him.
- Elena: You can't be here.You're not even real. It's just my subconscious making me see what I want to see.
- Damon: One call from my brother and you're gonna throw all this away?
- Elena: You know I want to see you, Damon. But it makes me reckless. I hurt people.
- Damon: So, why am I here? Do you want to move on? Move on.
- Elena: I never got to say thank you.
- Damon: For what?
- Elena: For saving Stefan and... For bringing back Alaric and Tyler. Thank you.
- Damon: Elena...
- Elena: No, I'm not done yet. I want to thank you for giving me everything I always wanted.A love that consumed me. And passion.Adventure. There's nothing more I could ever want other than for it to last forever, but...It can't. This is the last time I'm gonna see you. This is good-bye, Damon. I love you. I have to let go.
- (Elena kisses Damon and expects him to be gone but he is still there.)
- Damon: You're still holding on.
- Elena: I... no. I...I said good-bye, Damon.
- Damon: I don't blame you.You know what's waiting for you. How long before you go running back to Luke?
- Elena: No. I told you. That was the last time, Damon, I'm done.
- Damon: An eternity of torment, agony, and grief. And you feel it all.
- Elena: Stop it, Damon. Stop it, stop it. You're getting in my head. Don't do this. Please.
- Damon: You'll feel it forever.
- Elena: No!
- Alaric: Honestly, Elena...I hate everything about being a vampire.
- Elena: Me, too. At least I did. Then one day, I discovered the good part. You know, the promise that love could be eternal .And I had that with Damon. Which means for the rest of eternity, I'm gonna have a hole in my heart where he's supposed to be.
- ---I'll Remember
- Alaric: Are you afraid?
- Elena: More sad than afraid.
- Alaric: Why sad?
- Elena: Because I don't want to stop loving him.
- Alaric: And when did you first meet him?
- Elena: I was in high school.
- Alaric: And what was he like?
- Elena: There was something different about him, dangerous. But not in a way that scared me. He was exciting.
- Alaric: And how did he make you feel?
- Elena: Like anything was possible.
- Elena: It was the Miss Mystic Falls pageant. Stefan was supposed to be my escort but he bailed on me. Damon stepped in. He saved me from being embarrassed, in front of everyone. He took my arm, and led me out with the rest of the girls and all their dates and we danced. I remember that was the first time, I felt it.
- Alaric: Felt what?
- Elena: How sexy he was. I'd never let myself notice until then, I mean obviously I knew he was attractive but...I didn't want to see him that way.
- Elena: Maybe it was when we spent the night at the motel together, I wasn't back together with Stefan yet and all I could think about was kissing him. I wanted to kiss him so badly.
- Elena: It was my birthday. Damon and I spent the entire summer looking for Stefan. And I was trying to put on a good face because Caroline was throwing this party for me but I was just so sad. I was two seconds from deciding that I wasn't going to go, I wasn't going to leave the room. Until Damon walked in to give me my birthday gift. It was the necklace that Stefan had given me, I'd lost it. And Damon knew what the necklace meant to me. What it meant about my feelings for Stefan. Even though he loved me. He gave me the one thing that represented hope for me and his brother. I knew how much it hurt him. But he did it. It was the most selfless that he's ever been, and in that moment I loved him. I didn't want to, I mean, it terrified me but, for that moment I loved him.
- ---Yellow Ledbetter
- Stefan: I'm sorry that I can't just forget him like you, Elena.
- Elena: No one's forgetting him.
- Stefan: You are. You erased him.
- Elena: What are you talking about?
- Stefan: You had Alaric compel you to forget every good thing that Damon ever did. You made him a monster in your own mind because you couldn't handle the grief of losing him.
- Elena: I don't believe anything that you're saying. Why would I do that?
- Stefan: Because you were in love with him and he was in love with you. And when Damon died, a part of you died too.
- Elena: Wow. What? No. Stefan, how can I possibly love Damon?
- Stefan: Believe me, I asked myself that for a very long time. And eventually I saw it. Damon inspired you. He pushed you to own the darkest parts of yourself. And when you died, he was the only one that could made you feel alive again. And you made him feel human. You loved Damon for the same reasons that I loved Damon. Because in spite of every single thing he did, we couldn't live without him. Now you don't have to - but I do. So, I do it my way. You do it yours.
- Elena's diary: Dear me, if you're reading this than somebody spilled the beans about your selective memory loss. My mind is on Caroline. Yes, you loved Damon. You loved him with a passion that consumed you. And then when Damon died, the void you feeled was too deep, too dark. Facing an eternity without your soulmate you went of the deep end. You turned into someone that you weren't. A monster. Alaric will restore your last memories - all you have to do is ask. But I hope that you don't. I tried it the other way and I didn't see an end to the pain. I want you to rediscover yourself in absence of who defined you. If you feel any hope for the future at all, then you're already better off. You've been given a chance to start over. I want you to take it. I want you to be happy.
- ---Black Hole Sun
- Damon: I just need to see her Stefan. Our eyes will meet, fireworks will go off, and the balance of nature will be restored. She loves me.
- (Elena hears a knock on her door.)
- Elena: Who is it?
- Damon: Hey, its me. I just wanted to talk.
- Elena: I can't, not now.
- Damon: Look I know why you did what you did. It's not real. You know what's real? The way you felt for me. You once told me it was the most real thing you ever felt in your life.
- Elena: Those feelings are gone.
- Damon: Oh, come on, Elena. You've compelled enough people to know it's just a way of covering the truth and no matter how badly you want it done, it doesn't make it any less of a lie, you know. (She slowly reaches for the door knob) oh, I hear you breathing (she gasps, pulling away) you have no idea how long I've wanted to hear you breathe. (She sighs and puts her hand on the door, from Damon's side he loops up and copies this motion putting his hand where her hand is) just open the door, Elena. Everything can go back to the way it was. Just open the door, Elena, please or at the very least, step aside because I'm gonna kick this door in.
- (Elena unlocks the door but before Damon can see her she jumps out of the window using vampire speed.)
- Damon: So you didn't forget my number. That's a good start.
- Elena: Yeah I figured that I'd press the Damon button and see what happened.
- Damon: And what is happening?
- Elena: I don't know. I don't even know what I'm doing. I just--I'm thinking we should meet face to face. I can't run from you forever so come by my dorm?
- Damon: yeah, yeah I'll be here--there, I'll be there, absolutely in a bit. See you in a little bit.
- Elena: Okay
- ---The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get
- (Elena and Damon are dancing.)
- Elena: Why are you doing this?
- Damon: Why? Well, because I'm an incredible dancer, and it would be a shame not to share my talent with the world. Oh. Don't worry. I didn't see you smile. Miss Mystic Falls. First time we ever danced. Stefan stood you up. Bloodlust issues, surprise, surprise. So I stepped in.
- Elena: You're trying to stir up memories. This isn't a good idea.
- Damon: I stepped in, sexy as hell, and saved you from complete and utter humiliation. Of course, you were just worried about Stefan, but there was this moment, this one moment, where everyone else fell away, and it was just the two of us.
- Elena: Look. I'm here with someone, Damon. You can't just come unannounced and ruin my night.
- Damon: Come unannounced? What are you talking about? I literally went through time and space to be with you.
- Elena: I know, but look. Do you want me to feel guilty? Because trust me, Damon. I do, ok? I feel horrible, and I'm sorry, but I don't know what to tell you. What do you want me to say? I don't remember us.
- Damon: I do, and no matter how much I missed you or how much pain I was in, I never would have erased everything we ever had. Even if I was drowning in grief, I'd rather hang on to every moment that I ever held you or every laugh that I ever heard, every shred of happiness that we ever had. I would rather spend every moment in agony than erase the memory of you.
- Elena: I need some air.
- Elena: I want to remember.
- Damon: Well, you're a day late and a dollar short, honey?
- Elena: I mean, I want to try. Knowing that there's this whole piece of my life missing, it's driving me crazy, ok? So I have to at least try to get it back.
- Damon: Yeah. How are you supposed to do that?
- Elena: I know there's nothing we can do about the compulsion, but maybe if we unwind the memories backwards, something might trigger something, and maybe they'll all come back, right?
- Damon: Yeah. Sure. Tell me what you want me to do.
- Elena: Take me to the last place I told you I loved you.
- Elena: I don't remember being here with you that night.
- Damon: Ok. What do you remember? How are you rewired?
- Elena: I remember that we had to stop the travelers.
- Damon: Yeah.
- Elena: You had a plan, but you didn't tell anyone what you were doing, and the next thing I know, you're dead. I heard that you drove your car into the grill and then blew yourself up so that you could trigger some explosion.
- Damon: There's just one little part of that story that you're missing. You got in the car with me.
- Elena: What?
- Damon: I was all ready to go, and the door opens, and you jump in the car and say, "we're in this together" and you weren't taking no for an answer. That was the moment I realized you were the perfect girl for me because you were just as crazy as I was.
- Elena: Ok. Tell me more. Something happy?
- Damon: Ok. Happy. Well, there is a motel ice machine in Denver that's got some stories.
- Elena: What else?
- Damon: Well, can't forget the night of your graduation.
- Elena: Well, I did, so...
- Damon: Shame. Probably one of your best speeches. You in your very passionate and adorable way told me you were in love with me, and hell if you were gonna apologize for it. My favorite memory of us, oh, one that I've relived a million times over the last 4 months is this summer night that we had before you went off to college. You wanted to show me this meteor shower, so we drove out in the middle of nowhere, and the moment those shooting stars started to fall, rain, lots of rain. You were so sure it would clear, and it was just easier to believe you, and I took your hand...
- (Damon takes Elena's hand and puts it on his shoulder. Elena stares into his eyes, then blinks)
- Elena: This isn't working. I'm sorry.
- Damon: Hey. Maybe you just need to try a little harder.
- Elena: I am trying! I get that we had an amazing life together, and I know that I loved the fact that you were reckless and probably made me feel very free, but now when I look into your eyes, I just...
- Damon: What? What do you feel like?
- Elena: I feel like I'm looking at a stranger because I'm never gonna be able to give you what you want, because I just can't remember.
- Damon: Hey. There are things you can't erase, and you know that.
- (He holds her face in his hands but Elena pulls his hands down and Damon backs off)
- Damon: Sorry.
- (Elena gets a determined look and starts walking away)
- Damon: Where are you going? Elena! Hey!
- (Elena crosses the Mystic Falls border and gets rapid flashbacks of all the memories of Damon that Elena was compelled to forget.)
- Damon: Elena!
- (Damon grabs Elena and pulls her back to safety; she gasps for air)
- Damon: Hey! What the hell are you doing? Ninety more seconds, you'd be dead. Hey.
- Elena: I'm trying to undo the compulsion. It's the only way.
- Damon: No, no, no, no. Hey. Listen. I would give anything for you to remember, but I'm not gonna risk your life. It's the last thing I would ever do... Even if you don't remember that. Let's get you home.
- Elena: I remembered something out there, just bits and pieces, but, um... There were these stars, and then it started to rain.
- Damon: When you became a vampire, part of me was thrilled because suddenly there was this possibility I could have you in my life forever, but then the other part of me was devastated because I realized you'd lost the life that you wanted to have.
- Elena: It started to rain, and then what happened, Damon?
- Damon: And since I've been gone, you've gotten part of that life back. You're thriving, you're happy. Yeah, sure. Maybe you'd be happy if we gave it another chance, but the truth is is you're better off without me.
- Elena: What are you talking about?
- Damon: I died. You started over. I need you to live your life. Be happy. I love you, Elena. Enough to let you go.
- Elena: It started to rain, and then what?
- Damon: It got cold and muddy. You were miserable, so we got in the car and we drove home.
- (Damon and Elena are watching shooting stars when it starts to rain.)
- Damon: Come on. It's time to abandon ship.
- Elena: No, no, no, wait. Just give it a second. It'll clear up.
- (It starts raining harder. Damon and Elena kiss)
- Elena: Promise me this is forever.
- Damon: I promise!
- (they kiss in the rain.)
- -- Do You Remember the First Time?
- Elena: You should have brought me with you. Well, first, you should have told me that Bonnie was alive, and then you should have brought me with you.
- Damon: Well, Ric had more frequent flyer miles, and Ric didn't deliberately forget our entire relationship.
- Elena: Yeah. I deserve that. So you and Bonnie spent the last 4 months together?
- Damon: Yeah.
- Elena: What did you do?
- Damon: Bicker, mostly. Cooked, ate. We went through a Tetris phase, but I beat it, and she got mad. We talked. A lot. Apparently there are a lot of words in the English language, and Bonnie knows just about all of them.
- Elena: Yep. I know this is gonna sound pretty strange, but I'm really happy that the two of you had each other.
- Damon: She sacrificed herself so I could come back. Wow. Because when she wasn't talking, she was listening. She listened for hours and hours and hours, so when the opportunity presented itself for me to come back, she made sure I took it.
- Elena: What did you talk about?
- Damon: What do you think?
- (Elena realizes he meant her)
- Elena: I broke up with Liam.
- Damon: Dr. Future-Humanitarian-Award wasn't good enough? What went wrong?
- Elena: What do you think? Look. I'm at a crossroads right now, where I could go live my life the way I think I probably should and be successful and safe and probably very happy, or I could risk all that for this tiny glimmer of a feeling inside that I just can't shake.
- Damon: Well, Robert Frost, what's it gonna be?
- Elena: I don't know. But I do know someone who could give me some pretty sound advice.
- (Elena takes Damon's hand on the bar and holds it.)
- Elena: Any chance you'd be willing to help me bring my best friend Bonnie back? So, I could ask her?
- Damon: Sure.
- -- Fade Into You
- Elena: Of course you compel your best friend. I mean, why would that be off limits?
- Damon: Hey. I'm trying to get Bonnie back!
- Elena: Oh, just, don't Damon, I want Bonnie back more than anything. She's my best friend, but to you, she's something else, isn't she? She's a chance for me to realize what a great guy you are so that I can fall in love with you all over again. It doesn't matter who gets hurt in the process as long as Damon gets what Damon wants.
- Damon: May 10, 1994, I had a day. I was mad at Stefan for something. I don't even remember what it was, and in typical Damon fashion, I acted out. People died. A lot of them, and believe it or not, ever since that day, I've felt horribly guilty. So I thought that this was my hell, Elena. But you know who didn't? Bonnie. She had hope for both of us. She's the reason I survived, the reason I made it out. Who knew? Turns out you spend time with someone and don't kill them, you actually become friends. I'm doing this for Bonnie, Elena, not for you. And that's it.
- (Elena smiles)
- Elena: Damon and Bonnie. Who would have thought?
- Damon: Don't make this any weirder than it needs to be.
- Elena: She's probably passing Whitmore right now.
- Damon: If she's not lost. She has a terrible sense of direction.
- (Elena laughs and then touches the chains holding the swing bench)
- Elena: You know, I could have sworn that this used to squeak.
- Damon: It did. I fixed it. Bonnie and I came here every day. It was the closest thing I had to a picture of you, and I needed every reminder I could get.
- Elena: It's funny. I used to have so many good memories of this house, and after just one bad one, I burned it down. I just couldn't bear to look at it again. I just can't believe it's gone.
- Damon: You want to go inside?
- Elena: Yeah. Yeah, I do.
- (They get up and go toward the front door; Elena pauses and turns to look at Damon)
- Elena: I'm sorry I compelled away the memories. They were only half mine.
- Damon: We'll make new ones.
- (Damon smiles and touches her cheek)
- -- I Alone
- Start Up: My Brother’s Keeper (4x07)
- Break Up: Fifty Shades of Grayson (5x10)
- Reason: Damon thinks he is bad and doesn't want Elena to always find a explanation for his actions and defend him, so he lets her go despite the fact that they both are still in love with each other and breaks her heart.
Post Break-Up Sex
- Start Up: While You Were Sleeping (5x16)
- Ended: Rescue Me (5x17)
- Reason: Elena asks Damon to let her go because she believes that when they are together they do bad things for each other and that she can't control herself around him. Damon kisses her forehead and lets her go.
- Start Up: Promised Land (5x21)
- Separated by Death: Home (5x22)
- Reason: Damon died.
- Reunited: The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get (6x06)
- Elena does not remember him and must break the compulsion herself.
- In Do You Remember the First Time?, Damon decides to let Elena go and live her new life without him, but not before telling her that he still loves her. He loves her enough to set her free.
- In Fade Into You, Elena reveals beneath the surface of the compulsion there's a feeling for Damon that she can't explain and they hold hands.
- In I Alone they appear to be trying to start their relationship new.