|Elena and Alaric|
|“|| Elena: You know this will never not be weird right?
Alaric: What that some ancient witch turned me into a vampire or that 4 months ago I rose from the dead?
Alaric became Elena's new history teacher following Mr. Tanner's death. Alaric began dating Elena's aunt, Jenna, and the two slowly became allies when she discovered he was a Vampire Hunter. They grew very close, especially when they discovered that Alaric's "dead" wife, Isobel, was Elena's biological mother. When Jenna died, Alaric moved in with Elena and Jeremy as their new guardian. He began teaching Elena to fight vampires. When Esther turned him into an Original vampire, Elena was heartbroken and they shared a final hug. Elena soon discovered that Esther had tied their lives together, so when Rebekah killed Elena, thus turning her into a vampire, Alaric died, too. When Alaric's ghost returned, he protected Elena from Connor and was happy that Elena had found happiness with Damon. They were reunited when Damon sacrificed himself to save everyone on the Other Side.
Throughout the Vampire Diaries
Alaric introduces himself as Elena's new history teacher. Over time, Stefan and Jenna began to suspect that Alaric's wife may be Elena's birth mother. When Damon made fun of Alaric, calling his wife "tasty," Elena confronted him. When the vampires from the tomb captured Stefan, Elena and Damon sought Alaric's help and were eventually able to convince him to help them. Alaric later shows Elena the assignment Jeremy did about vampires and they worry that Jeremy may be beginning to understand the truth. At the pageant, Alaric's curious as to why Elena's dancing with Damon, and not Stefan, and also gives her a lift there. When Alaric discovers that Isobel's back in town, he tells Elena that she wants a meeting with her and waits outside the Grill with Damon whilst its happening. Alaric later helps Elena protect Stefan from the deputies when John activates the device.
Alaric, Elena and Damon travel to Duke to look at Isobel's research. When Vanessa tries to kill Elena, Alaric pins her against the wall and stands with her as Elena explains the situation. Alaric defends Elena from Damon when he tries to get her to talk to him. At the masquerade ball, Alaric is tasked with making sure Elena stays at home as the others try to kill Katherine. Elena becomes suspicious and demands answers but he begs her to just forget about it. She later sneaks out when he's not watching her.
When Alaric discovers Elena is missing, he lets Damon, Stefan, Bonnie and Jeremy into his classroom to try to track her. He also lends weapons to Damon and Stefan. When Jenna learns that Isobel is alive, Elena immediately calls Alaric and they beg her to listen to their explanations unsuccessfully. They discuss what to do about Jenna and Alaric tells Elena that he will do what she wants him to do. Later, Alaric visits Elena but is confronted by John. Alaric punches John, apologises to Elena and leaves but she's impressed with what he did. Later, when Alaric's talking to Elijah, he brings up the deal he made with Elena and states that Alaric was on the list of people she wanted to be protected. When Damon returns with a dead Elena, Alaric rushes to her side. Alaric later moves in with Elena and Jeremy.
Alaric attends Elena's party. He later goes to talk to her and tells her that he's moving out as he doesn't think he's a good role model and Elena is now old enough to look after Jeremy. After Damon refuses to help her, Elena turns to Alaric for help in finding information about Stefan. She convinces him to tell her that Klaus has been hunting in the mountains lately. Elena returns Alaric's ring which John give her and convinces Alaric not to give up just because he feels lost. Alaric agrees to keep the ring and not leave any time soon, moving back in with Elena and Jeremy.
Alaric becomes worried about Elena and Damon's friendship. They try to stop Damon from attacking Bill, but Damon ends up killing Alaric, shocking Elena. Alaric begins to train Elena to kill vampires in the woods. He also tries to help her when Stefan's harassing her. Elena defends Alaric when Meredith accuses him of being the serial killer, and hugs him. However, Elena later begins to believe that Alaric could be the killer due to the side effects of his ring. She confesses to Alaric that Meredith may be right.
Elena later goes to the hospital with Alaric where Meredith gives him a CT scan. They realise that Alaric may be going insane and he gives her the ring again. Alaric later tries to attack Elena, but Stefan saves her. Elena begs him not to hurt Alaric, however. Elena keeps Alaric locked up and brings him food, water and books for the time being, telling him that she's going to Denver with Damon. He asks if she wants his disapproval.
Elena's horrified to discover that Alaric is going to become an Original to end all Originals. Once Alaric goes into transition, he realises what he's done and apologises, promising Elena and Jeremy that he won't complete the transition. However, Esther forces him to. Alaric later attacks Elena and she begs him to kill her, but he doesn't. Klaus then arrives and saves Elena. Elena stops Alaric before he kills Klaus, threatening to kill herself, having figured out that her life force is linked to Alaric's. Alaric begs her not to kill herself, and she escapes with Klaus. Later, when Rebekah runs Matt's truck into the river, Elena drowns and Alaric dies in Damon's arms. His ghost then visits Jeremy, notifying him of Elena's death.
When Elena first enters Alaric's classroom since his death, she's distraught. Following Jeremy's death, Elena listed all of the people she loved and lost who had lived in her house, Alaric being one of them. She also stated that she knew Damon wanted Alaric back. Later, when Elena was fighting with Caroline, she mentioned that Alaric had trained her so she could easily win.When ghosts returned, Elena, Alaric and Jeremy had lunch together in the cemetery, and when Connor called Elena, Alaric went to meet him at the Grill. He told Connor that he was in charge of Elena and seemed proud when Connor told him that she killed him, mentioning that he was the one who taught her. Alaric later gave Damon the cure, telling him to get the girl. After Damon and Elena kissed, he congratulated him on getting the girl and left for the Other Side again.
Elena was reunited with Alaric in Graduation (Episode).
Elena and Alaric are reunited once again in Home. After arriving on the Other Side with Damon, Alaric tells her to go ahead to Bonnie and he will find Damon. Later, Alaric manages to find Damon and returns to the living as Damon is unable to return. Both Elena and Alaric mourn Damon's death.
- - Isobel.
- Elena: "What are you hiding, Ric?"
- Alaric: "Stefan asked me to keep an eye on you, just in case Katherine showed up while he was at the party."
- Elena: "So Stefan's at the party too? He would never go to the party for himself; he did that stuff for me."
- Alaric: "Just let this one go. Okay, Elena?"
- - Masquerade.
- Elena: "I just thought that we'd at least hold off until after we've dealt with Klaus. You know, and even then, how do we tell someone what we know? How does someone hear that?"
- Alaric: "Look, I'm sorry to put this on you. But I feel it's your decision to make. And whatever you decide to do, I'll respect it. I want to be honest with her. But until then, Jenna and I are done."
- - The Birthday.
- Alaric: "I know what you're doing. Don't. There doesn't need to be a lesson here."
- Elena: "You're better at it than you think, you know."
- Alaric: "Oh, boy, are you a sucker for a lost cause or what?"
- Elena: "You're not a lost cause, Ric. You're just lost. But so is Jeremy, and so am I. Our family is gone. We don't have anybody. I'm sorry, but you don't have anybody either, so... we're kind of right for each other."
- - The Hybrid.
- Alaric: "Look, I get why you're here. Stefan hurt you. You don't want it to happen again."
- Elena: "But you think that I'm crazy. To believe that I can protect myself from a vampire who's flipped the switch on his humanity."
- Alaric: "I think you found a way to get out of bed this morning. And that makes you the strongest person I know. I think that you can do pretty much anything."
- Alaric: "I don't know what to think either, you know, but... we'd be idiots to ignore all these facts."
- Elena: "So what shall we do?"
- Alaric: "Well... get this to the police. Then, you should probably be with Caroline."
- Elena: "I'm sorry, Ric. Please be careful."
- Elena was in Alaric's history class for two years in a row, the only years he taught at the school.
- Alaric and Elena's lives were linked when he became a vampire. Ironically, they became unlinked when Elena became a vampire.
- Alaric is Elena's step-father and second legal guardian after Jenna.
- Alaric drank Elena's blood to become a vampire.
- Elena once killed Alaric, though she did so only to ensure he would return to life.
- Alaric dated Elena's aunt Jenna.
- Elena had Alaric compel her to forget that ever loved Damon Salvatore at her request in I'll Remember and compelling her in Yellow Ledbetter.