|This article is about Elena Gilbert (TV Series). You may be looking for Elena Gilbert (novel).|
|“||All day, something has been bugging me. You wanted to pack this all in so quickly like you had somewhere you needed to be. I mean, you were so concerned with getting through today without a hint of how you'd feel tomorrow. And then I realized. You don't want to feel tomorrow. That's the plan, right? You're not going to feel tomorrow because you're going to turn it all off.||”|
Elena Gilbert is the main female protagonist of The Vampire Diaries. She is a distant descendant, the third and last doppelgänger of Amara and a vampire from Klaus' bloodline. She used to live in the supernatural town of Mystic Falls, Virginia, in the 2104 Maple Street but she left and moved out to the Salvatore Boarding House when her brother became a member of The Five and later burned down the house after his death during Season Four.
Elena is best friends with Bonnie Bennett, Caroline Forbes and Matt Donovan, and close friends with her ex-boyfriend, Stefan Salvatore. Her actions and beliefs throughout the series have been most influenced by her on-and-off romantic relationships with the Salvatore brothers, as well as by her antagonistic relationship with her maternal ancestor and fellow doppelgänger and vampire, Katerina Petrova. Her life also changes drastically as she and her friends are caught up in the supernatural world that surrounds them and are forced to face powerful supernatural enemies.
After Jeremy's death in Season Four, at Damon's command to ease her pain, she turned off her humanity. Vampires in rare cases, form a sire bond to the one who turned them, based on how strong their human feelings were before transitioning. After a brief time, she was finally able to regain her humanity after a surprising plan was carried out by Damon and Matt.
During the events of Season Five, Elena's body was also possessed by Katherine, attempting to escape her fate due to the affects of the cure. It took a while for Elena's friends to discover Katherine's deceit and when she died, she left a 'little present' in the form of infecting Elena's body with a deadly toxin, but this was later cured. Later, she and Damon got back together eventually near the end of the season, but it was short-lived. After Stefan's shocking death, in order to bring him and others back from The Other Side, Damon, Elena and Caroline devised a plan, involving Liv Parker performing a spell that the Travelers used to bring back their leader, Markos. However the spell was interrupted before Damon could pass through the Anchor, Bonnie and as the Other Side began to disintegrate, Elena and her friends were left heartbroken by their impending deaths.
She attended Mystic Falls High School from Seasons One to Four, where she was a cheerleader, honor student, and one of the most popular girls in the school. Elena wanted to become a great writer and she has a diary in which she writes everything that happens in her life. She was originally turned in this direction by her adoptive mother, who gave Elena her first diary when she was ten. As of Season Five, she attends Whitmore College and majors in pre-med, wanting to become a doctor.
Elena has been struggling to live a normal life ever since her adoptive parents, Miranda and Grayson Gilbert (who are also biologically her aunt and uncle), died in a car accident when she was sixteen years old.
Elena is described as a star student. She is popular, sporty, smart, compassionate, empathetic, caring and friendly. She can be very vulnerable and a damsel in distress.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries Series
Elena was born on June 22, 1992 in Mystic Falls, Virginia to John Gilbert and Isobel Flemming who both flee town a few days after Elena was born. John's brother Grayson and his wife Miranda, who desperately want to have children but are having difficulties conceiving, adopted Elena following her birth. Because Grayson's a doctor, he's able to tamper with the birth records, making himself and Miranda appear as Elena's biological parents on her birth certificate. If anyone ever becomes suspicious, they have the birth certificate for documentation proof. She later gets a younger "brother," Jeremy, who is also her biological cousin.
When Elena was seven, she lost her ball in the basement of the Gilbert Building, and almost came across one her father's experiments for the Augustine society after she heard screams, possibly from an unknown vampire. Just as she was about to open the basement's room, she was stopped in time by her father before she could enter the room. Elena at one point tried to decide which of her friend Caroline's traits were the most annoying, her control freakishness or her delusional positive nature. Elena told Stefan that in the second grade Caroline had Elena help her build a Barbie castle.
In December 22, 2007, Elena is fifteen years old and a freshman at Mystic Falls High School and is also helping her town prepare for the Mystic Falls Lighting of the Tree Ceremony. While making hot chocolate, Bonnie threw a snowball at Elena and revealed that her father is taking her on a trip, meaning that Bonnie will miss Christmas with her friends. Caroline also got excited when Elena revealed that she was going to convince her parents to let Bonnie stay for the holidays as they've never spent an holiday apart from each other.
During her sophomore year, Elena has a relationship with Matt Donovan, her oldest friend with whom she formerly shared a crib with. At a bonfire, the two of them get into an argument where, afterwards, she calls her parents to pick her up. While waiting to be picked up, she meets Damon Salvatore who originally confuses her with Katherine. He tells her she wants a love that consumes her as well as passion, an adventure, and even a little danger when she admits she doesn't know what she wants. Damon then compels her to forget their meeting. Elena's parents then arrive to pick her up.
After leaving the bonfire with her parents, their car unexpectedly drives off Wickery Bridge. Stefan Salvatore, who is nearby, hears the crash and saves an unconscious Elena at Grayson's insistence. Stefan's unable to save her parents and takes Elena to the shore where she's found with everyone believing Elena somehow made it out of the car and made it to shore. Afterwards, she breaks up with Matt and she and Jeremy begin to live with their aunt, Jenna Sommers, who became their legal guardian.
After her parents death Elena shut out Jeremy and everyone else out to deal with her parents deaths. She and Jeremy moved into Elizabeth Forbes house for a awhile as Jenna wasn't yet up to the task yet. Liz took her and Jeremy to school as well tried to cook for them but wasn't good at it either like her adoptive mother/aunt Miranda.
Unseen, during the events of Season One and December 22, 2009, Elena would be aware of vampires at this point and would have also known about Bonnie's witch heritage. She and Bonnie were watching Elizabeth Forbes speech during the annual Tree Lighting Ceremony, until Caroline revealed the disappointing gift that Stefan Salvatore gave her.}}
- "Take the cure with me. That's how much I know this is real. That's how certain I am that I'm gonna love you even after this is all over. Take the cure. Be human with me. We can be together. Grow old together. This doesn't have to be hard anymore."
- —Elena to Damon about becoming human
As a human, she's the sociable popular girl in school and the girl next door. She's compassionate, caring, empathetic, kind, intelligent, beautiful, friendly but she can also be pushy, judgmental, extremely selfish, at times bosses people around and pry's into other peoples business, Elena is also athletic and a cheerleader. Her favorite hobby is writing in her journal and says that she's always wanted to be a writer. Elena's "dark side" from the books as a human is never explored because it "didn't ever feel like a characteristic" the show wanted for their heroine. Elena's actual dark side is her "deep, deep connection to other people". Elena's always surrounded by drama. She's always helping around in her community events and Caroline calls her the mothering type.
Like her mother before her, Elena believes in family, honor, loyalty and community. She is shown to be consistently polite, calm and composed, though prone to great anxiety and panic. Despite being something of a skeptic, she has a vivid internal life. She is extremely introverted. She is brave and self-sacrificing, though much of her willingness to save others seems to come from survivor's guilt over her parent's death. She has a strong back bone and never displays a sense of inferiority. However, Elena can also be a hypocrite, and gradually becomes more and more self-absorbed as the seasons continue, but undergoes several huge changes due to trama, stress, loss and finally healing. She is flawed; not always able to treat her friends with proper respect, and acting in a smothering, if not controlling, manner toward her brother Jeremy. Elena exalts personal choice and is known for her forgiving nature.
As a vampire, Elena's personality is amplified. In some ways, Elena is considered to be the opposite of Katherine. In terms of blood consumption, Elena wants to live on a diet of animal blood, like Stefan Salvatore, in an attempt to avoid hurting someone. However, after she is unable to keep down animal blood, human blood from a blood bag or vampire blood, she begins to feed from Matt. It is discovered that her inability to consume other sources of blood was unintentionally due to her sire bond with Damon, and eventually begins to live on a diet of blood bags from a human blood bank. Now that Elena is a vampire, her feelings are magnified, including her feelings for Damon, and they're much harder for her to ignore and push aside.
She also struggles with magnified grief from the loss of so many family members, and anger towards those who put her remaining friends and family in danger. As she's learning to live as a vampire, she begins to learn that she has more in common with Damon than she does with Stefan, and while it scares her, it also makes things more exciting and opens her eyes a bit. These feelings eventually lead to her break up with Stefan as well as the discovery of the sire bond, which pushes everyone to find the cure, hidden with Silas in a tomb. Elena has now accepted being a vampire. With her humanity back, she becomes more determined than she wants, she goes back to being tearful in situations of pain and suffering. And more determined to discover mysterious situations making use of their gifts of compulsion.
Elena had gone through a drastic change after Damon's death.
- Main article: Elena Gilbert/Appearance
Physically, Elena is a very beautiful/attractive/gorgeous young woman with an oval face, light olive complexion, almond-shaped brown eyes which are sometimes described as doe-eyes, and smooth, long, straight dark brown hair. Her height is 5'7 (170 cm), so she is quite tall woman and also has a slim, slightly athletic physique. Elena has an uncanny physical resemblance to her ancestor and doppelgänger, Katherine Pierce, who often poses as Elena in order to trick others. However, even though Elena and Katherine look exactly the same in terms of physical appearance, there are some slight differences between the two in terms of fashion and style, and especially personality. Elena physically resembles the original Petrova, Amara.
In terms of fashion sense, while Elena's human, she's much more casual, sporty and "girl next door" and doesn't wear a lot of make up or favor fashionable clothing unless attending a formal event. Elena favors wearing dark blue jeans with t-shirts of various colors and Converse sneakers. Elena primarily wears fashionable clothing or dresses up for special occasions or formal events. Katherine's fashion sense or style, on the other hand, is much more high maintenance, expensive and trendy. Another distinct difference between Elena and Katherine's physical appearance is that Elena always wears her hair straight with a middle part in which Katherine doesn't like, while Katherine wears her hair curly. However, Katherine often straightens her hair in order to fool people when she's posing as Elena. Elena wore a special necklace containing the herb vervain in it as a human, which is really the Esther's talisman which cannot be destroyed; it was given to her by Stefan to protect her from compulsion.
Elena as a newly turned vampire wears a small lapis lazuli daylight ring made by Bonnie in order to protect her from the sunlight. Elena has a slightly more sophisticated look and trades her usual jeans and t-shirts to dresses and boots. Since Elena now has the freedom to accessorize, she dips into her jewelry box more often. Elena is seen wearing more chain necklaces in season 4. After she abandons her humanity, she becomes more womanly in the way she looks. She gets red streaks in her hair and curls it. She also begins to wear skirts and belts. When Katherine possessed Elena, she removed the red streaks.
In American Gothic, Elena impersonates Katherine for the first time. As she has now changed her style, she's able to temporarily fool Elijah of her identity. As Katherine's wardrobe is much more adult, Elena switches her comfortable boots for high heels, casual denim jacket for slim fitting leather and took Katherine's sparkly eye catching jewelry including earrings, bracelets and her watch. To pass for Katherine, Elena also applies more make up, particularly dark eye shadow and eyeliner to a much more "sluttier" degree, as said by Rebekah. At first glance, Elena and Katherine are identical yet their personalities, mannerisms, style, and makeup differ greatly and are generally aspects which give away their identity.
In Season Five, Elena starts to wear more skinny jeans, low-heeled boots, low heels, combat boots, sleeveless blouses, leather jackets, short skirts and super short shorts, varied dresses, makeup, and plunges more in her jewelry box.
Powers and Abilities
Elena possesses all the standard powers and abilities of a non-original vampire. When she was human, she possessed fighting abilities to defend herself against vampires as she trained under Alaric and Damon. She knows how to stake vampires and also the traits of a vampire hunter.
- Main article: Elena Gilbert/Relationships
- Main article: Elena and Jeremy
- "Look, Elena. You're my sister and I love you, no matter what you choose."
- —Jeremy to Elena in Graduation
Jeremy is Elena's biological cousin/adoptive brother. Although Jeremy and Elena are biological first cousins, they've been raised together as siblings. After their parents die, they wanted to help and protect each other. Once the two of them became more aware of the supernatural activities and entities of Mystic Falls, Elena and Jeremy worked to keep each other and their other loved ones safe. Although they sometimes were led apart, they still seemed to retain their closeness as siblings. They loved each other and were always willing to risk their lives to save one another. They had a bond that no one could ever break. After becoming a vampire, he still loves her regardless of what she is. They continue to protect each other seeing that they are what they have left each other. Losing her younger brother crushes her and causes her to turn her emotions off. But thanks to Bonnie, he was brought back to life.
- Main article: Elena and Damon
- "I don't have a choice, baby. You are, by far, the greatest thing that has ever happened to me in my 173 years on this Earth. The fact that I get to die knowing I was loved not just by anyone, but by you, Elena Gilbert. It's the epitome of a fulfilled life. It’s never gonna get any better than this. I peaked. I love you, Elena. Bye."
- —Damon to Elena in Home
Damon Salvatore is Elena's boyfriend, soulmate, best friend, and Stefan's impulsive elder brother. As the series progressed, they fell in love with each other. Damon is a 173 year old immortal who is described as seductive, cocky, acts arrogant, impulsive, dangerous, and charming. Elena first met Damon when he was in Mystic Falls looking for his object of obsession for over a century, Katherine Pierce. He then talked to Elena but afterwards, compelled her to forget their meeting. Elena then met Damon again at the Salvatore Boarding House when she went to look for Stefan. After a while, she started to view Damon as self-centered, violent, sociopathic and cruel, especially when she found out that he continuously abused and used her close friend, Caroline Forbes against her will. She was horrified to discover that Damon was also behind all of the murders and unusual "animal" attacks in Mystic Falls. Originally, Damon disliked Elena and was rather apathetic about whether Elena lived or died. Damon was drawn to Elena, mostly due to the fact that Elena bears an uncanny resemblance to the object of his obsession for over a century, Katherine. Although Damon and Elena often bicker and don't get along, Elena began to slowly warm up to him as she got to know him, befriending him in the process. But she still kept her distance due to Damon's constant immoral and impulsive behavior. Damon and Elena's friendship deepens with time and the two become closer, Damon fallen for Elena and Elena developing feelings for Damon. Damon once told Elena that he loved her, but that he didn't deserve her, but Stefan does. He then compelled her to forget his confession afterwards. As opposed to Stefan, Damon is seen to be extremely selfish when it comes to Elena, willing to put the life of Elena's before anyone else's, including Elena's loved ones. But throughout the series, he has grown and changed, protecting not only Elena, but her family and friends as well. Elena and Damon became closer than ever, and the sexual tension between them increased as Elena's emotions were heightened. During Season Four, Stefan ends his relationship with Elena because of her no longer fighting the feelings she has for Damon. Elena admitted to Damon that he was the reason for her breakup with Stefan and with Jeremy trying to kill her, Elena was forced to move into the boarding house with Damon. Stefan moved out when she moved in because of the awkward situation and relationship between her and Damon. Damon and Elena made love for the first time and became a real couple the night she moved in with him. During their romance, Damon has never given any indication that Elena would “lose” him, under any circumstances really. Quite the opposite, he promised never to leave her again. The passion they share is hard to define. Damon once again had the opportunity to prove his worth and show Elena his humanity. She brings out the good side of him — that he doesn't have to kill for fun and drink blood from innocent people. This humanity makes it only harder for Elena to hide her true feelings for Damon. She cares very much about him. Throughout, she maintains a rocky relationship with him but they manage to overcome anything. She once again confessed her love for him after the sire bond was broken in the season finale. At the start of Season Five, having had the perfect summer together they were determined to make their long distance relationship work while she attended college. Their happiness was short-lived, however, as Elena and Damon's relationship was repeatedly assailed by a seemingly endless number of difficulties. They had to come to terms with Stefan's summer-long imprisonment and the revelation of Bonnie's death, all the while having to deal with Silas and Qetsiyah's struggle for dominance. Things were further complicated by the Augustine Society and a vengeful Katherine Pierce's machinations as well as the threat posed by the Travelers and their leader, Markos. These events among others had devastating emotional impacts on Damon and Elena and led them to question the wisdom of their relationship. Despite all this and having numerous arguments, separations, breakups, and reconciliations, they never denied their love for each other. Ultimately, their love and the notable support of Stefan allowed them to come back together once again before the season's end. After losing her soulmate, Elena has currently been struggling with the empty void in her life that Damon should fill. Resorting to drug induced hypnotism and selective memory loss has proved to be a dangerous and heartbreaking coping mechanism for Elena. She later compels away all the good memories of Damon through Alaric. To her surprise when Damon is brought back to life, she feels nothing but disgusted by him and does not believe she was ever in love with him. But Damon's efforts to bring back Bonnie impress her and they rekindle their love for each other.
- Main article: Elena and Stefan
- ""You know the life that we had, I mean that was amazing too. It wasn't a spell or a prophecy, it was real. We fell in love on our own. We had ups and downs, we fought... we changed, both of us. We grew apart, but that is real; I mean that's life... I'll always love you, Elena.""
- —Stefan to Elena in Resident Evil
Stefan Salvatore is Elena's close friend and ex-boyfriend, as well as Damon's younger brother. Stefan is a 166 year old immortal who is described as handsome, athletic, mysterious, brooding, kind, compassionate and thoughtful. After returning home to Mystic Falls after years of being gone, Stefan unexpectedly "met" Elena on May 23, 2009, after he heard Elena and her parents' car accident while he was out at Wickery Bridge. The Gilbert's car had submerged deep into the water under the bridge, where Elena and her parents were facing death by drowning. It was then that Stefan miraculously saved Elena's life, although unfortunately, Elena's parents, Grayson and Miranda, didn't survive the tragedy. After the accident, Elena spent months wondering how she made it out of the accident and believed that her survival was a "miracle". For the next four months, Stefan remained in Mystic Falls, while studying Elena's background from afar. Stefan investigated Elena's background in order to find out whether or not Elena was really Katherine Pierce due to Elena's uncanny physical resemblance to her. Stefan eventually discovers through the info that he has researched and gained, that Elena is not Katherine and Stefan is relieved by this. He slowly starts to fall for her from afar and he stays in Mystic Falls because he has to know her. Elena fatefully and unexpectedly meets Stefan for the first time at the beginning of the new school year outside of the Men's washroom. Elena is undeniably drawn to Stefan and the two have an instant, deep and indescribable connection. Stefan and Elena begin to bond and slowly start to develop a romantic relationship. They both realize that they share many qualities, hobbies, traits, values and beliefs in common. As Elena and Stefan start falling deeper in love with each other, Elena unexpectedly discovers Stefan's deep, dark secret: Stefan is a century old vampire with a mysterious past. Although Elena is at first scared of Stefan and what he is, Elena eventually accepts Stefan's vampire-ism. As opposed to Damon, Stefan is known to respect Elena and honor her choices and wishes, even if he doesn't agree with them. Stefan and Elena no longer have a strong love and connection. There have been many different obstacles over the course of the series that have tried to come between them. Some of these obstacles include Stefan's brother, Damon, Stefan's blood addiction issues, the unexpectedly events in Mystic Falls, Klaus, Rebekah, the Originals, Katherine Pierce, John Gilbert, Stefan's Ripper phase and most recently, Elena's new found vampirism. When she reveals she is in love with Damon. Elena admitted she was no longer in love with Stefan because of feelings that he treats her like a project and looks at her like a broken toy and that she can't be with someone like that. They have moved on from each other and remained good friends. Stefan and Elena both struggle during the months after losing Damon.
- Main article: Elena and Alaric
- "Taking care of you and Jeremy has been the closest I've ever come to the life I've always wanted."
- —Alaric to Elena in Do Not Go Gentle
Alaric is Elena's step father and guardian. They became close when Alaric started dating her aunt Jenna. Alaric was also her history tutor. Alaric taught Elena how to protect herself from vampires and how to fight. Alaric became the legal guardian of Elena when her aunt Jenna was killed by Klaus. As Elena didn't have much family left, Alaric was there for her and Jeremy. Alaric along with Damon, protected Elena from the dangers that surrounded them. Elena was devastated when Esther turned Alaric into an Original resulting into him not completing the transition. But Esther took control of Bonnie and made her feed him her blood so that the transition would complete. Alaric then took Elena hostage so he could lead Klaus there to kill him. Elena realized that their lives are connected meaning if she dies, he dies. The moment Elena had died, Alaric died in Damon's arms and Elena came back as a vampire. During season four, she had mourned him and amends were then made. She was reunited with him when he was brought back to life in the Season Five finale, due to Damon and Bonnie's sacrifices.
- Main article: Elena and Bonnie
- "I know you think now, that you can't have a normal life, that you need to be here for everyone, but you don't. Everyone will find their way."
- —Bonnie to Elena in For Whom the Bell Tolls
Bonnie Bennett has been best friends with Elena since childhood. Bonnie is also a close friend of Caroline Forbes. Bonnie has mentioned that she and Elena are so close they're like sisters, and she would die for Elena in an instant without hesitation. Throughout the series, Bonnie is protective of Elena, even risking her life to ensure Elena's safety and protection. Elena used to joke about Bonnie's "supernatural" or psychic powers until Bonnie eventually discovered she is descended from a long line of powerful witches, inheriting the gifts herself. Although Bonnie has always been supportive of Elena, after Elena began a relationship with Stefan Salvatore, a vampire, Bonnie and Elena begin drifting apart. Their friendship was strained when her Grams died after being weakened by a preforming a powerful spell to help the Salvatore brothers release Katherine Pierce. From the episode Isobel and onward, their friendship has remained relatively consistent and the two remain best friends. Ever since Jeremy died and Elena turned off her humanity, Elena ruined her friendship with Bonnie by almost trying to kill her. When Elena got her humanity back, she and Bonnie are now back to being best friends and have a strong friendship. They are also roommates with Caroline in college. However, the Other Side began collapsing which to its destruction and taking down Bonnie as well. Bonnie died with Damon who was still trapped on the Other Side and Elena was greatly devastated.
- Main article: Elena and Caroline
- "I'm really glad that you're here."
- —Caroline to Elena in I Know What You Did Last Summer
Although Elena and Caroline had been friends since childhood, Caroline's constant insecurities as a human, which made her jealous of Elena at times, had created and maintained a friendly rivalry between the two. When Caroline became a vampire, her insecurities went away, and their relationship improved a lot as a result. When Elena became a vampire herself, however, she broke up with Stefan and started dating Damon instead. And because Caroline could never accept this, as she never liked Damon and always saw Stefan as the better brother, their friendship degraded considerably. Later, it further degraded after Elena turned her humanity off, to the point that they are were enemies: Elena tried to stake Caroline, and will do everything that she can to ruin the prom dance that she carefully planned. That problem seems to be fixed in the latest episode. Now they are back to being best friends and has upgraded tremendously. They were roommates in college.
- Main article: Elena Gilbert (novel)
In the novels, Elena is described as a very beautiful, popular girl in high school. All of the boys want her and all of the girls want to be like her. Elena was born July 5, 1974 in Fells Church, Virginia to Thomas Gilbert and Elizabeth Gilbert (née Morrow), who were tragically killed in a car accident years back. Elena is 17 at the beginning of the very first book, and she is the most beautiful, popular girl at Robert E. Lee High School (mainly called the Queen). Physically, Elena is extremely beautiful. She has an 'angelic' physical appearance. Elena has a thick, long, straight pale golden hair, which reaches just above her waist and is so fair in color, it almost seems to shimmer in the sunlight like gold. Elena has an unusual, unique eye color of blue, which is described to be the same color of lapis lazuli (a deep, dark blue) stone (which is the stone vampires use to protect themselves from sunlight) with flecks of gold (but have also been described to be the color of violets). She has a fair, pale, and creamy skin (compared to the color of swans, alabaster or porcelain) with light rosy pink cheeks, long dark-blonde lashes, and dark blonde eyebrows.
Elena is of average height for a teenage girl and she is described to have a slender, gorgeous body. According to Stefan, Elena is about a good hand span taller than Katherine. Although Elena has a strong physical resemblance to Katherine, there are slight physical differences among the two girls. While Katherine has lighter, silvery eyebrows and eyelashes, Elena's brows and
lashes are darker blonde. Katherine is described to have extremely long (it pools and trails behind her on the floor) darker blonde curlier hair while Elena has pale gold blonde straight hair. Elena sees herself as beautiful; therefore, she is quite proud and vain. Elena is said to strongly resemble Katherine, so much so that Stefan is strongly reminded of Katherine when he unexpectedly meets Elena for the first time in the first novel. There are repeated references as to her looking like an angel or "angelic". Personality wise, Elena is described as loyal, protective, caring, strong-willed, determined, popular, sociable and active. However, she is also selfish, self-absorbed, vain, spoiled, childish and headstrong.
Most of this extreme change in Elena's personality and outlook had to do with her meeting Stefan. In terms of love and romance, Elena often used the boys or the opposite sex as toys, prizes and objects to help boost her self-esteem. Elena always felt that even though all of the boys in Fells Church desired her and wanted to be with her, she felt that she was yearning for something "more" and that something (or somebody) was "missing". Elena's first love was her childhood friend, Matt Honeycutt, who is the good-looking, all-American, star athlete. At the very beginning of the school year, Elena breaks up with Matt because she feels that there are no sparks in their relationship and that she discovers that she loves Matt in more of a platonic, cousin, brother or best friend way.
Elena's life changes forever when she unexpectedly encounters a handsome, mysterious, foreign boy, Stefan Salvatore. Elena is deeply, passionately in love with her soul mate Stefan (to whom she is connected and bound to by a "silver cord"), but she also has deep feelings of desire for Damon (Stefan's dangerous, malevolent elder brother). Elena dies several times in the series, going from a regular human, to a vampire (after she consumes enough vampire blood from both Salvatore brothers), to a ghost/spirit of the afterlife, to a supernatural human with special powers and abilities.
Most recently, Elena has discovered that she is a Guardian on Earth, a very rare species. Guardians are said to create balance between good vs. evil on Earth and are destined to fight all darkness and evil vibes on Earth, restoring good on Earth as much as possible.
- Elena is a feminine first name of Greek origin ‘Ελενη (Elene) or ‘ελενη (Elene) which means "torch". The meaning of Elena is "the shining light", "the bright one" or "light". It is a variation of the name Helen.
- Gilbert, which is Elena's surname, is a surname of Germanic origin. The English-language surname is derived from Giselbert, a medieval personal name composed of the following Germanic elements gisil ("pledge", "hostage", "noble youth") and berht ("bright", "famous").
- Elena - it's a name of Elena from Troy, It's a greece name, beautiful and cursed, said Robert in the first book.
- Elena's birthday is June 22 and her astrological sign is Cancer.
- Elena is right handed.
- Elena doesn't speak French even though she was taking French class at Mystic Falls High School as mentioned in the Pilot, as she also had this class with Stefan besides History and English.
- Elena along with all the Petrova Doppelgänger's names end with the letter "A". Amara, Tatia, Katerina.
- Miranda, Elena's mother gave Elena her first diary when she was 9, and began writing in it a year later.
- The type of man Elena is attracted to is the Hero-type as revealed in The World Has Turned and Left Me Here, when she tells Liam before she kisses him.
- This explains why she was attracted to both Damon and Stefan.
- Elena's car is a 2008 Ford Escape SUV and the license plate is EFG 3J85.
- Elena has had a variety of different cell phones over the years. She had a Blackberry Pearl, Blackberry Bold, a Purple Blackberry Curve 8520 and a Nokia Lumia 610 White. In season three, she had an AT&T Samsung Captivate and a White AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket.
- In the series physical and personality aspects of Elena from the books are passed to Caroline.
- In the novels Elena becomes a vampire. In the series Caroline becomes a vampire first, and Elena became a vampire in the Season 3 finale.
- In the novels Elena is friends with Bonnie McCullough and Meredith Sulez but in the series, Meredith and Elena aren't close and Bonnie Bennett and Caroline Forbes are Elena's best friends.
- In the novels, Elena has pale skin, light blonde hair and deep, blue eyes and is heavily Anglo-Saxon in appearance, and hates Caroline. In the series, Elena has light olive skin, dark brown hair and brown eyes and is exotic looking, (due to her Bulgarian background) and Caroline and Elena are best friends.
- In the novels, Elena has a little sister named Margaret Gilbert and an aunt named Judith Maxwell. In the series, Elena has a younger brother named Jeremy Gilbert and an aunt named Jenna Sommers.
- In the series, Elena's first significant kill was the Original Elijah. In the books Elena kills Katherine (They die together) and is the first to destroy one of the Old Ones (Klaus).
- Elena was dating Matt Donovan, but broke up with him 4 months before the start of the series. Elena then meets Stefan Salvatore, and is instantly drawn to him, and they develop a romantic relationship.
- When Elena was in high school she wanted to be a writer.
- Elena used to be a cheerleader along with Bonnie and Caroline.
- Elena and Tatia share some similarities.
- Both were born in Mystic Falls.
- Tatia is the first Doppelgänger of Amara while Elena is the last.
- Both were killed by being drained of blood, by a Mikaelson brother. Though Elena was killed by Klaus while Tatia was killed by Elijah.
- Elena can't cook, as established in Friday Night Bites, just like her adoptive mother Miranda.
- In the novels, her middle name is Marie.
- Both the first and second seasons end in the Gilbert house.
- Damon Salvatore tried to turn Elena into a vampire on two occasions;
- He used Elena to force Stefan into giving him Emily Bennett's Grimoire.
- Elena was ready to die in the sacrifice, Damon force fed her his blood to make sure she would come back after.
- Elena is the only person to die with vampire blood in their system and wake up human. This is because of a spell Bonnie cast, binding Elena and John's life forces together.
- Both Elena and her mother Isobel were both turned by Damon's blood into a vampire. They are also one of three mother/daughter vampires seen in the series to date.
- Elena is the only human to neutralized three Originals (Elijah, Rebekah, and Mikael).
- Two times an Original killed her as a human; Klaus drained her of her blood and Rebekah caused her to drown when she ran Matt's truck off Wickery Bridge.
- Elena had a hand in the death of 2 originals, Finn and Kol.
- Elena killed Alaric Saltzman, but he became possessed by an Original later. Ironically Elena was also responsible for Alaric's death as an Original because Esther turned him, she bound Elena's life with Alaric's.
- Before she became a vampire, Elena was the (presumably) fourth Petrova Doppelgänger.
- Meredith Fell injects vampire's blood to save Elena's life from a cerebral hemorrhage (bleeding on the brain).
- Rebekah killed Elena as a human and Damon's blood turned her into a vampire.
- In both the books and the series, Elena drowns with vampire blood in her system after a vampire causes the vehicle to drive over the Wickery Bridge. In the books, it was Katherine; in the series, it was Rebekah.
- Elena is the sixth recurring character turned into a vampire after Vicki, Caroline, Jenna, Tyler, and Alaric.
- Elena wears her lapis lazuli daylight ring on her right hand, ring finger.
- Elena is the first vampire character shown in the series to form a sire bond, whose bond is based on romantic feelings.
- Elena is one of two characters sired to Damon. The other was Charlotte.
- Elena was unable to feed on animal blood and human blood from blood bags, because Damon told her not to, not realizing the sire bond.
- Her first kill as a vampire was Connor Jordan in The Killer.
- Elena has yet to kill by heart extraction, though Katherine did so in her body in Total Eclipse Of The Heart after have been given full control over her body.
- She has also yet to be shown to use dream manipulation, as before Katherine used it in Gone Girl to give Nadia a perfect day before she dies.
- She is the third person in her family line to have slept with Damon Salvatore. The first being Katherine Pierce, and her birth mother; Isobel Flemming.
- Elena, Stefan and Damon, are the only main characters who have appeared in every episode, until Total Eclipse of the Heart and No Exit when Elena's body it taken over by Katherine.
- In Stand By Me, Damon uses his sire bond and tells Elena to switch off her humanity because of Jeremy's death.
- In Because the Night, Elena had dyed some of her hair red. These streaks were removed by Katherine when she was a passenger in Elena's body.
- Turning off her humanity doesn't necessarily make Elena emotionless. It makes her less sensitive to pain — her own, and other people’s.
- Elena was one of the three last members of the Petrova Family, Elena, Katherine and Nadia. but as of Gone Girl, she is the last surviving member.
- Though being a vampire made her Doppelgänger genes inactive, in Death and the Maiden, Tessa used her, Amara, and Katherine's blood to transfer the anchor powers to Bonnie and The Travelers used her blood to bring back Markos.
- In Fifty Shades of Grayson, it is revealed that Katherine's father was a Travelers, meaning Elena was possibly a witch before she was turned.
- In 500 Years of Solitude, Katherine became a passenger in Elena's body. Making Elena the first vampire in the series to be possessed through a Passenger spell, the second vampire (after Rebekah) to be possessed, and the fifth recurring character to be possessed after Niklaus Mikaelson possessed Alaric Saltzman and Tyler Lockwood, Esther possessed Rebekah, and then Matt Donovan being possessed by Gregor.
- After the events of The Devil Inside, Elena's body had been placed under the complete control of Katherine, she recovers control of her body in Gone Girl.
- Elena was an Augustine Vampire like Damon, although the serum she was injected with contained werewolf venom as well. She was cured in While You Were Sleeping.
- Elena is the youngest vampire on the show.
- Both Elena and Stefan have been impersonated by their doppelgängers at least once. Elena by Katherine and Stefan by Silas.
- Elena briefly died in Home, but was resurrected near the end.
- With Damon's death, Elena becomes the last vampire made with his blood in The Departed in the series to date. It's unclear if Vampire feeding Ripper Damon turned anyone to control his bloodlust or it was all Enzo.
- She has lost both her Locket and Ring at one point. Both are presented to her by Stefan; both have been returned to her by Damon after being lost.
- Elena is the only one shown other than Damon to have driven his 1969 Chevy Camaro.
- Elena died for the third time in Home making her the only supernatural character that has returned from the Other Side three times.
- Elena has yet to turn someone into a vampire, though in While You Were Sleeping she almost turns Luke Parker to satisfy her thirst for vampire blood. This as she was suffering the effects of the enhanced Ripper Virus that Katherine had injected her with in Gone Girl.
- In Yellow Ledbetter, according to Elena's wish Alaric erase her memories of ever loving Damon.
- Elena's new love interest is Liam Davis. Though she later broke up with him, as she wasn't able to explain her complicated life to him.
- She doesn't like to drink Chardonnay.
- In Do You Remember the First Time?, Elena deliberately crossed the Mystic Falls border to bring back her memory. But she was stopped by Damon before she could get back all of her memories.
- Elena is the third main character to enter the Other world after Damon and Bonnie and the one who spent the less time there.
- She is the first vampire in the TVD/TO universe to have their Daylight ring destroyed in any way, in this case magic as Kai was trying to turn Elena's blood into acid with a spell for the second time in Woke Up With a Monster.
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found