|This article is about Elena Gilbert (TV Series). You may be looking for Elena Gilbert (novel).|
|“||Damon I love you. I love you. And these people tortured you for 5 years. I don't care what you had to do.||”|
Elena Gilbert is the female protagonist of The Vampire Diaries. She is an 18 year old vampire and also the 4th doppelgänger of Amara. She was turned with Damon Salvatore's blood. She lives in the supernatural town of Mystic Falls, Virginia in the Salvatore Boarding House with her boyfriend, Damon, and adoptive brother and biological cousin Jeremy. She used to live with Jeremy at 2104 Maple Street, but she moved out when he became a member of the Five, and later burned down the house after his death.
Elena is best friends with Caroline Forbes, Bonnie Bennett and Damon Salvatore. She's also the descendant of Katherine Pierce, with whom she has a mostly antagonistic relationship. She had an on and off romantic relationship with Damon's brother Stefan, an 163 year old vampire, until losing him when he gave himself over to Klaus in exchange for the cure to a werewolf bite, which is Klaus' blood, to save Damon's life. After becoming a vampire, they break up for good because of her feelings for Damon.
Damon has been in love with Elena for the majority of the series and her feelings for him have grown stronger since her transformation into a vampire. She graduates from Mystic Falls High School, where she was a cheerleader, honor student, and one of the most popular girls in the school. Elena wants to become a great writer and she has a diary in which she writes everything that happens in her life. She was originally turned in this direction by her adoptive mother, who gave Elena her first diary when she was ten. She is attending Whitmore College with Caroline and Bonnie.
Elena has been struggling to live a normal life ever since her adoptive parents died in a car accident. She is a Petrova doppelgänger. Stefan saves Elena's life on May 23, 2009, when the car goes off of Wickery Bridge. Stefan tries to save her adoptive father but he insists that he save Elena first. Stefan then discovers her resemblance to Katherine and takes her to hospital, watching her afar for months before deciding to meet her.
Elena is described as a star student. She is popular, sporty, smart, compassionate, empathetic, caring and friendly. She can be very vulnerable and a damsel in distress.
After Jeremy's death, she turns off her humanity. Vampires and hybrids, in some cases, have a sire bond to the one who turned them. A sire bond between vampires is uncommon, but it does exist between Elena and Damon because she had strong human feelings for him before she died and was turned into a vampire. He was the one who got her to turn off her emotions, but also got her to turn them back on by killing her close friend, Matt.
Elena was born on June 22, 1992 in Mystic Falls, Virginia to John Gilbert and Isobel Flemming who flees town a few days after giving birth. John's brother Grayson and his wife Miranda, who desperately want to have children but are having difficulties conceiving, adopt Elena. Because Grayson's a doctor, he's able to tamper with the birth records, making himself and Miranda appear as Elena's biological parents on her birth certificate. If anyone ever becomes suspicious, they have the birth certificate for documentation proof. She later gets a younger "brother," Jeremy.
During her sophomore year, Elena has a relationship with Matt Donovan, her oldest friend with whom she formerly shared a crib with. At a bonfire, the two of them get into an argument where, afterwards, she calls her parents to pick her up. While waiting to be picked up, she meets Damon Salvatore who originally confuses her with Katherine. He tells her she wants a love that consumes her as well as passion, adventure and danger when she admits she doesn't know what she wants. Damon then compels her to forget the meeting. Elena's parents then arrive to pick her up.
After leaving the bonfire with her parents, their car unexpectedly drives off Wickery Bridge. Stefan Salvatore, who is nearby, hears the crash and saves an unconscious Elena at Grayson's insistence. Stefan's unable to save her parents and takes Elena to hospital. Afterwards, she breaks up with Matt and she and Jeremy begin to live with their aunt, Jenna Sommers.
summer together with Damon, Elena prepares to leave for college, but has a feeling that something bad is about to happen. Damon told Elena she had to go to Whitmore, which is just a few hours away, and he'd take care of Jeremy. Elena opening the door again to give Damon a quick kiss. Elena leaves with Caroline. Sheriff Forbes drops them off at college, hugs Elena goodbye, and says that her father "fell in love with medicine" there. Caroline and Elena discover they have a roommate, Megan. Elena welcomes her, much to Caroline's chagrin. Caroline drinks Megan's protein water, hoping she'll upset Megan enough to leave, but discovers it's laced with vervain and revealing Megan knows about Vampire's.
Elena, Caroline, and Megan go to a party Jesse invited them to. Elena and Caroline haven't been invited in, however, so decide to go home early. Elena leaves a message on Megan's phone, only to receive a panicked phone call from her. Megan says she's being chased, and moments later her body falls next to them. Elena realises a vampire killed her. Elena and Caroline learn that Megan's death is being ruled off as a suicide. When asked if they have seen Megan's phone (which Caroline took), they say no. Whilst going through Megan's pictures, Elena finds an image of Megan with Grayson.
In True Lies, Elena and Caroline are still wondering about mysterious death of their roommate Megan but they carry on living their new college life and attend their classes as freshmen. Elena signed them up for the class of Wes Maxfield. At the bonfire party, Elena was also able to gather information from Jesse when he gave her some details about Maxfield.Silas visited Elena a little visit at college and revealed what Damon has been hiding from her including Jeremy getting expelled from school. Elena obviously gets upset with Damon lying to her and Silas used that to control Elena to kill Damon. Elena got Damon tied up to a chair and ready for the kill but Damon figured out that Silas used his mind control power over Elena so he tried his best to make Elena resist the "rage" by thinking about her worries of Stefan.
Later, Damon showed her that he'd snagged Stefan's daylight ring back from Silas the day before. And then Damon said he's secure enough in their relationship that her having psychic dreams about her ex-boyfriend doesn't bother him, but it still sucks. They kissed, and Elena told Damon they were going to save Stefan and she would still love him. Then they passionately kissed.
In Original Sin, She'd had a very strange dream in which she saw Stefan at a bar screaming. Damon, now getting a little annoyed at the connection between Elena and her ex, had no choice but to address things when Katherine walked in the room having had the exact same dream. This called for a road trip. Damon and Elena found the bar from her dream. They left a sleeping Katherine in the backseat while they compelled a bartender. The good news was the bartender remembered a freakish amount about what happened to Stefan. The bad news was that Nadia had found her way to the bar, and she wanted Katherine. Elena distracted her long enough for Katherine to run, but Nadia was stronger than Elena. Before Elena could blink, or Damon could be helpful in any way, shape or form, Katherine and Nadia were both gone. Elena wanted to go after them and leave Damon to find Stefan, and before parting ways, Damon tells Elena not to risk her life in saving Katherine as she is not even worth a hair on Elena's head and then they kiss.
Elena caught up to Katherine. Elena took the opportunity to explain that, unlike Katherine, she values her humanity and gave her the cure for the chance to find her own after having buried it under "500 years of bad behavior." But chat time ended quickly, when Nadia snapped Elena's neck. After finally finding Stefan they take him back to the boarding house where Elena praises Damon for looking out for Stefan but Damon doesn't respond. Elena asks what Qetsiyah said to him back at the cabin. He explained that they didn't have a chance because of the universe. "We're a lost cause no matter what we do," he told Elena. Elena responds by saying that Qetsiyah is crazy and she won't let Silas' 2,000-year-old ex-girlfriend screw things up between them. Damon emotionally tells her how he won't let a stupid idea of destiny stop him from loving Elena or being with her or building a future with her because she is his life. Elena, touched deeply by his words, leans in to kiss him but they are interrupted by Stefan who wakes up and tell them he has no idea who Elena and Damon are.
In For Whom the Bell Tolls, Elena along with Damon tries to make Stefan remember his past. She visits them at the Grill but Stefan can't remember her name which upsets her. She discusses with Damon about how to deal with him. Later they go to the cemetery Mystic Falls for the traditional Remembrance Day to honor the dead, Damon has to go and leaves Elena and Stefan alone, they talk about their family tragedies, he asks her how they met and Elena leads him to school to relive the moment. At the school, reliving the moment doesn't really make Stefan remember but Elena continues to try. She then takes him to the Wickery Bridge to show him how she became a vampire. They are having a good time until Stefan tries to kiss her and she stops him saying that she is with Damon. Stefan is hurt by this as both Damon and Elena didn't tell him the truth about them dating. He then disappears leaving Elena alone.
Then Elena calls Damon to help him find Stefan while he is trying to tell her about Bonnie's death. They finally find Stefan back at the house but he is still upset with them and leaves the house. Elena tells Damon that they need Bonnie to fix Stefan's memory and Damon finally tells her about Bonnie's death which shocks her. Later, Elena is freaking out as she can't find a dress for Bonnie's funeral and breaks down into tears telling Damon how she can't do this again. Damon hugs her affectionately and tries to calm her down.
Elena later along with Jeremy,Caroline,Damon and Matt attend a funeral in Bonnie's honor. She scatters white feathers over the stump, then she backs out crying and Caroline hugs her. Then Bonnie through Jeremy talks to them from the other side. Bonnie tells Elena that she saw her happy and she wants her to go to college and continue to live a normal life. Elena continues to cry as Damon consoles her.In Monster's Ball, Elena has been avoiding talking to Damon on the phone. Instead, she's been sharing her exposition with her diary: "Dear Diary, do you ever get sick of me writing about death?" It's been four days since Bonnie's funeral, and Elena is back at school trying to move on by discovering what Maxfield, who covered up Megan's death, really knows. Damon popped up at the school to accept Elena's invitation to the Whitmore Historical Ball. It's the one time of year that the college's entire collection of artifacts is put on display and people dress up as historical figures. Aaron was out on campus paying his respects to Megan, Elena and Caroline's dead roommate, at a sad makeshift memorial. He seemed to know her death wasn't a suicide and that Megan's flower of choice was sunflowers. He wouldn't give Elena his name. Elena and Damon were dressed as Anne Boleyn and and Henry VIII. Damon wanted to dance but Elena wasn't in the mood. She said it's not her fault that Bonnie died but it is her fault that she didn't figure it out sooner. She's not gonna let Megan's death fall through the cracks, too. She talked to Aaron and compelled him to tell her whether he killed Megan (no) and why he's avoiding her -- because everyone around him dies. It's a curse, he said, and if she had any idea about survivor's guilt, she'd leave him alone. She compelled him to forget the conversation. Dr. Maxfield was dressed as Dr. Jekyl. He wasn't responsible for the whereabouts of his darker half, Mr. Hyde, he joked to Elena. Then she danced with him. Maxfield told Elena his theory that a vampire hunted Megan down, ripped her throat out and threw her off the building. And then he said they were never going to see each other again because there are people at this school watching her and her friends and asking questions she doesn’t want them to ask.He suggested she pack her things, drop out, and move back to Mystic Falls. Damon and Elena found Silas. Elena thought it was good that Silas is out of commission. But Damon knew it wasn't. Back at Salvatore Mansion, desiccated Silas was on the couch as Elena and Damon talked. The only way for Silas to trade his life for Bonnie's is if he's a witch. The only way to become a witch is to have the cure. Someone was knocking on the door and it turned out to be Katherine. Katherine thought she was there so they could show her that she'd eluded death yet again. They finally did something right for once. How did it feel? "Thrilling," Damon said. And she figured it out. Damon bit her neck and she begged him: She said Silas would need all of her blood and she didn't want to die. "Goodbye, Katherine," he said, and he held her head down to Silas' mouth. Silas' hand came up to her head. Katherine dropped to the floor. But then Damon heard something. Her heartbeat. She awoke. "Am I in hell?" she asked.
In Handle with Care, when Damon and Elena are snuggling on the couch and having a sweet moment, Silas comes in ruins their blissful moment to discuss their plans for his death. Elena is having trouble trusting Silas’ word that he will bring Bonnie back before he departs the mortal world for good, so he snarkily offers to pinky swear. Everyone is looking for the anchor now. Silas wants to die and find peace. Silas then refuses to allow Elena to come along when she looks like his true love and doesn't want to stare at her all day. As Elena gets annoyed, Silas uses his magic to shoot the crossbow at Elena's leg. This upsets Damon and he hurries to help her.
Later,Elena calls Stefan's phone, which Qetsiyah answers. She implies that she and Stefan slept together, luring Elena into the cabin. Once there, she uses Stefan's phone to call Damon and threatens to kill Elena if he doesn't kill Silas.Stefan tells Elena that he wouldn't let to Qetsiyah hurt her. When Qetsiyah is distracted, Stefan stabs her and he escapes with Elena.Elena is grateful to Stefan for having protected her, as he always does and then says goodbye to him.Elena then joins Damon and Jeremy who are throwing a pity party for themselves due to their failure to bring Bonnie back. They let Elena in on the big twist for the episode though, and Damon introduces Elena to Amara.
In Death and the Maiden, Elena told Stefan how she lost a friend when he lost his memory, so she wanted to start over. But that didn't exactly work for Stefan, considering he could suddenly remember everything.After learning Stefan's plan, Elena was worried that Stefan would get himself killed by going after Silas. But if Stefan didn't get to kill him, Silas would win. Stefan told her about moments of stillness in the safe. Every time he closed his eyes now, he relived those three months, and if he didn't kill Silas and make it stop, he'd lose his mind or flip his switch... or both.
Elena was used in a spell, to transfer Amara from being the anchor to The Other Side to Bonnie being the new anchor and Qetsiyah had to have doppelganger blood to do the spell. Amara, Katherine, Elena, and Tessa all stood around Bonnie's grimoire (a talisman) as Tessa cut their palms and started chanting. But then Silas showed up and knocked the power out. Elena, as if she had just overheard Stefan's thoughts, told Damon to go find Stefan because he wasn't thinking right. Silas might have put him in that safe, "but we were the ones who were supposed to get him out of it."
Tessa was able to perform the spell in time and bring Bonnie back to life. Elena and Carloine were reunited with Bonnie. Later, Elena asked Stefan if killing Silas worked and if he is now ok. Stefan doesn't repond but rather asks her why is this all so important to her. She told him the truth that while he was drowning she was happy, she got everything she wanted, she got to be in love and had the summer of her dreams, she even got Bonnie back and she needs to know that he is going to be ok too. Stefan then admitted that he wanted it to be Damon and Elena to get him out of that safe.
In Dead Man on Campus, Elena and Caroline plan Bonnie a blow-out "welcome back from the dead" party. Elena calls Damon to come to her party, but pauses to hand Aaron a flyer inviting him. She accidentally mentions something she compelled out of him before and has to do it again, but makes him agree to come to the party.Damon teases her about Aaron and then agrees to go to the party tonight.At the dorm, Caroline and Elena are getting ready for the party when Caroline gets a call from Jesse. They learn that Jesse has now become a vampire and decides to help him.
At the party Elena and Caroline are keeping an eye on things and Elena tells her that Damon is with Wes making him questions about his experiments but Caroline is pretty sure that means Damon is going to kill him. Aaron arrives at the party and bonds with Elena over Jell-o shots and stories of how their parents died. He got passed around among relatives until he ended up with Maxfield. Elena calls Damon and he tells Elena about Jesse feeding on vampires, and she makes him promise not to kill Maxfield.
Later, Elena arrives at the laboratory of professor Maxfield and finds Jesse feeding on Damon. Damon tells her that Jesse is going to kill him and so she grabs a shard of the broken door and stakes Jesse, killing him, just as Caroline runs up in time to see it. Elena feels awful, but Damon tells Caroline she had no choice and leaves to deal with Maxfield. Caroline and Elena are cleaning up after the party. Elena apologizes but Caroline is still upset as she doesn't trust Damon. She tells Elena that when she stops telling her how she really feels is when they will no longer be best friends.
In The Cell, Elena drops in on Aaron, who is reeling over the death of his roommate, Jesse. Even though Elena killed him, she pretends to be shocked. Aaron is overwhelmed by the fact that someone else close to him died.She asks about Wes, who became his legal guardian after his aunt Sarah died. She tells Aaron that Damon went to talk to Wes last night and no one has seen either of them since. She asks for his help finding Wes. Aaron thinks he knows a place. He takes Elena to the Whitmore House. He confesses that he owns the house as part of the Whitmore Trust he inherited when his parents died. His name's Aaron Whitmore. Elena looks at a picture and recognizes her father. Wes joins them, and says Grayson Gilbert was one of the best doctors the Augustines ever had. Then he injects Elena with vervain.
Elena wakes up in a cell next to Damon. Damon confesses he's been there before and tells her about Whitmore's torture, including cutting up pieces of them every day. He was there for about five years. He made a friend, Enzo, a soldier in Europe during WWII, who was also a vampire. Elena tells Damon that her dad worked with Whitmore and was an Augustine. She doesn't want to believe he'd be part of a place that would cut Damon's eyes out and breaks down. Damon confronts her and promises her that he'll get her out of there.
Elena thinks Stefan will figure it out and come rescue them, but Damon never told him he was locked up. Elena wants to know how he escaped, but Damon is not forthcoming with the details, saying only that it wasn't pretty. Elena convinces him to tell her by saying that she loves him and doesn't care what he did to escape. Damon finally tells Elena his shameful secret: he left Enzo to die during his escape. After massacring the party on New Years Eve and knocking over a candle, he tried to break the cage to free Enzo but the bars were vervained and he couldn't get him out. Damon flipped his humanity switch so he would stop caring about Enzo, and left him to die in the ensuing fire. Elena was horrified that Damon left Enzo.
Aaron comes down to the cells in the basement with his gun. He accuses Elena of killing Megan and possibly of killing his parents. Damon stops him, and says it was him. Damon explains that with Enzo dead, he had to carry out his revenge plan himself. He planned to kill all the Whitmores in a generation, except one, then let him grow up and start a family, and then kill all of them except one, and so on. And he did. Elena is disgusted and asks when the last one was. A few months ago, Sarah in Charleston. It was a weekend trip. Elena realizes they were together then. Aaron shoots Damon leaving Elena upset. Later, Elena wakes up strapped to an exam table next to another vampire. He introduces himself. "My name is Enzo," he says.
|“||Take the cure with me. That's how much I know this is real. That's how certain I am that I'm gonna love you even after all this is over. Take the cure. Be human with me. We can be together. Grow old together. This doesn't have to be hard anymore.||”|
As a human, she's the sociable popular girl in school and the girl next door. She's compassionate, caring, empathetic, kind, normally intelligent, beautiful, friendly and easy to get along with. Elena is also athletic and a cheerleader. Elena's favorite hobby is writing in her journal. Elena says that she's always wanted to be a writer. Elena's "dark side" from the books as a human is never explored because it "didn't ever feel like a characteristic" the show wanted for their heroine. Elena's actual dark side is her "deep, deep connection to other people". Elena's always surrounded by drama. She's always helping around in her community events and Caroline calls her the mothering type.
vampire, Elena's personality is amplified. In some ways, Elena is considered to be the opposite of Katherine. In terms of blood consumption, Elena wants to live on a diet of animal blood, like Stefan Salvatore, in an attempt to avoid hurting someone. However, after she is unable to keep down animal blood, human blood from a blood bag or vampire blood, she begins to feed from Matt. It is discovered that her inability to consume other sources of blood was unintentionally due to her sire bond with Damon,and eventually begins to live on a diet of blood bags from a human blood bank. Now that Elena is a vampire, her feelings are magnified, including her feelings for Damon, and they're much harder for her to ignore and push aside.
She also struggles with magnified grief from the loss of so many family members, and anger towards those who put her remaining friends and family in danger. As she's learning to live as a vampire, she begins to learn that she has more in common with Damon than she does with Stefan, and while it scares her, it also makes things more exciting and opens her eyes a bit. These feelings eventually lead to her break up with Stefan as well as the discovery of the sire bond, which pushes everyone to find the cure, hidden with Silas in a tomb. Elena has now accepted being a vampire. With her humanity back, she becomes more determined than she wants, she goes back to being tearful in situations of pain and suffering. And more determined to discover mysterious situations making use of their gifts of compulsion.
When Elena's brother Jeremy dies during their failed attempt at obtaining the cure, Elena's in denial that he's dead, believing the Gilbert ring will bring him back to life and rejecting anyone who says otherwise. When she finally accepts that he's gone, she breaks into tears. Damon hugs her and tries to calm her down, eventually telling her to "turn it off". She complies.
She doesn't care who sees her doing what. As well as losing her humanity, she's lost her modesty. She doesn't care about the rules. Elena always lived by her set of rules, what she thought was right and wrong, and now it's like she's thrown all the rules to the wind and she just does whatever she wants to do. Elena is more blunt and honest and, "It is what it is and I am what I am and want what I want. And right now I would like to feed on that girl over there. And I resent you for trying to stop me." Elena is more direct about getting exactly what it is that she wants. Elena speaks the truth all the time and it's brutal and not fun for the people who have to listen to it.
Without her human emotions, such as compassion and grief, she doesn't care about anything anymore. She feeds indiscriminately, walks around without clothes, and does what she pleases. While she and Katherine differ in their personalities, with Katherine always lying and playing games, Elena is more blunt and brutally honest, speaking without any tact for anyone's feelings, and saying whatever she has to so that she can get her way. She and Katherine are similar in their abilities to manipulate others, and to think several steps ahead of Stefan or Damon, who are trying to save her. Her actions without her emotions push Stefan and Damon to track Katherine so that they can steal the cure back from her and give it to Elena, hoping it will solve her problems, but they are pushing their beliefs and what they want on her so hard that she feels resentful and frustrated with them, which causes her to act out in unexpected ways, such as getting into a physical fight with Caroline after attacking her mother. She tells them she has no interest in the cure now that she's taking advantage of the perks of being a vampire, and wants them to respect her choice; the more they push her, the more she pushes back. While Damon and Stefan are worried that she will cross the line while her human emotions are shut off and won't be able to take it back, Elena warns them that she has no intentions of taking the cure, and if they don't accept her decision, that there will be consequences.
- Main article: Elena Gilbert/Appearance
Physically, Elena is a very beautiful young woman with an oval face, light olive complexion, almond-shaped brown eyes which are sometimes mistaken as doe-eyes, and smooth, long, straight dark brown hair. Her height is 5'7 (168 cm) and she has a slim, slightly athletic physique. Elena has an uncanny physical resemblance to her ancestor and doppelgänger, Katherine Pierce, who often poses as Elena in order to trick others. However, even though Elena and Katherine look exactly the same in terms of physical appearance, there are some slight differences between the two in terms of fashion and style, and especially personality. Elena physically resembles the Original Petrova, Amara.
In terms of fashion sense, while Elena's human, she's much more casual, sporty and "girl next door" and doesn't wear a lot of make up or favor fashionable clothing unless attending a formal event. Elena favors wearing dark blue jeans with t-shirts of various colors and Converse sneakers. Elena primarily wears fashionable clothing or dresses up for special occasions or formal events. Katherine's fashion sense or style, on the other hand, is much more high maintenance, expensive and trendy. Another distinct difference between Elena and Katherine's physical appearance is that Elena always wears her hair flat and straight, which Katherine does not like, while Katherine wears her hair curly. However, Katherine often straightens her hair in order to fool people when she's posing as Elena. Elena wore a special necklace containing the herb vervain in it as a human, which is really the Esther's talisman which cannot be destroyed; it was given to her by Stefan to protect her from compulsion.
Elena as a newly turned vampire wears a small lapis lazuli daylight ring made by Bonnie in order to protect her from the sunlight. Elena has a slightly more sophisticated look and trades her usual jeans and t-shirts to dresses and boots. Since Elena now has the freedom to accessorize, she dips into her jewelry box more often. Elena is seen wearing more chain necklaces in season 4. After she abandons her humanity, she becomes more womanly in the way she looks. She gets red streaks in her hair and curls it. She also begins to wear skirts and belts.
In American Gothic, Elena impersonates Katherine for the first time. As she has now changed her style, she's able to temporarily fool Elijah of her identity. As Katherine's wardrobe is much more adult, Elena switches her comfortable boots for high heels, casual denim jacket for slim fitting leather and took Katherine's sparkly eye catching jewelry including earrings, bracelets and her watch. To pass for Katherine, Elena also applies more make up, particularly dark eye shadow and eyeliner to a much more "sluttier" degree, as said by Rebekah. At first glance, Elena and Katherine are identical yet their personalities, mannerisms, style, and makeup differ greatly and are generally aspects which give away their identity.
Later on, Elena starts to use more skinny jeans, low-heeled boots, low heels, combat boots, sleeveless blouses, leather jackets, short skirts and super short shorts, dresses varied makeup and plunges more in her jewelry box.
- Main article: Elena Gilbert/Relationships
- Main article: Elena and Jeremy
- Main article: Elena and Damon
Damon Salvatore is Elena's new boyfriend, her best friend, and Stefan's impulsive elder brother. As the series progressed, they fell in love with each other. Damon is a 171 year old immortal who is described as seductive, cocky, acts arrogant, impulsive, dangerous, and charming. Elena first met Damon when he was in Mystic Falls looking for his object of obsession for over a century, Katherine Pierce. He then talked to Elena but afterwards, compelled her to forget their meeting. Elena then met Damon again at the Salvatore Boarding House when she went to look for Stefan. After a while, she started to view Damon as self-centered, violent, sociopathic and cruel, especially when she found out that he continuously abused and used her close friend, Caroline Forbes against her will. She was horrified to discover that Damon was also behind all of the murders and unusual "animal" attacks in Mystic Falls. Originally, Damon disliked Elena and was rather apathetic about whether Elena lived or died. Damon was drawn to Elena, mostly due to the fact that Elena bears an uncanny resemblance to the object of his obsession for over a century, Katherine. Although Damon and Elena often bicker and don't get along, Elena began to slowly warm up to him as she got to know him, befriending him in the process. But she still kept her distance due to Damon's constant immoral and impulsive behavior. Damon and Elena's friendship deepens with time and the two become closer, Damon fallen for Elena and Elena developing feelings for Damon. Damon once told Elena that he loved her, but that he didn't deserve her, but Stefan does. He then compelled her to forget his confession afterwards. As opposed to Stefan, Damon is seen to be extremely selfish when it comes to Elena, willing to put the life of Elena's before anyone else's, including Elena's loved ones. But throughout the series, he has grown and changed, protecting Elena, her family, and friends. It has been a consistency throughout the series that even though Elena cares deeply about Damon and has feelings for him. But Elena and Damon are still closer than ever, and the sexual tension between them has even increased as Elena's emotions were heightened. During Season Four, Stefan ends his relationship with Elena because of her no longer fighting the feelings she has for Damon. Elena admitted to Damon that he was the reason for her breakup with Stefan and with Jeremy trying to kill her, Elena was forced to move into the boarding house with Damon. Stefan moved out when she moved in because of the awkward situation and relationship between her and Damon. Damon and Elena also make love for the first time and became a real couple the night she moved in with him. Damon has never, not once, given any indication that Elena would “lose” him, under any circumstances really. Quite the opposite, he promised never to leave her again. The passion they share is hard to define. Damon once again had the opportunity to prove his worth and show Elena his humanity. She brings out the good side of him — that he doesn't have to kill for fun and drink blood from innocent people. This humanity makes it only harder for Elena to hide her true feelings for Damon. She cares very much about him. Throughout the series, she maintains a rocky relationship with him but they manage to overcome anything. She confessed her love for him after the sire bond was broken in the latest episode.
- Main article: Elena and Alaric
- Main article: Elena and Bonnie
- Main article: Elena and Caroline
- Main article: Elena and Stefan
Stefan Salvatore is Elena's ex-boyfriend and Damon's younger brother. Stefan is a 163 year old immortal who is described as handsome, athletic, mysterious, brooding, kind, compassionate and thoughtful. After returning home to Mystic Falls after years of being gone, Stefan unexpectedly "met" Elena on May 23, 2009, after he heard Elena and her parents' car accident while he was out at Wickery Bridge. The Gilbert's car had submerged deep into the water under the bridge, where Elena and her parents were facing death by drowning. It was then that Stefan miraculously saved Elena's life, although unfortunately, Elena's parents, Grayson and Miranda, didn't survive the tragedy. After the accident, Elena spent months wondering how she made it out of the accident and believed that her survival was a "miracle". For the next four months, Stefan remained in Mystic Falls, while studying Elena's background from afar. Stefan investigated Elena's background in order to find out whether or not Elena was really Katherine Pierce due to Elena's uncanny physical resemblance to her. Stefan eventually discovers through the info that he has researched and gained, that Elena is not Katherine and Stefan is relieved by this. He slowly starts to fall for her from afar and he stays in Mystic Falls because he has to know her. Elena fatefully and unexpectedly meets Stefan for the first time at the beginning of the new school year outside of the men's washroom. Elena is undeniably drawn to Stefan and the two have an instant, deep and indescribable connection. Stefan and Elena begin to bond and slowly start to develop a romantic relationship. They both realize that they share many qualities, hobbies, traits, values and beliefs in common. As Elena and Stefan start falling deeper in love with each other, Elena unexpectedly discovers Stefan's deep, dark secret: Stefan is a century old vampire with a mysterious past. Although Elena is at first scared of Stefan and what he is, Elena eventually accepts Stefan's vampire-ism. As opposed to Damon, Stefan is known to respect Elena and honor her choices and wishes, even if he doesn't agree with them. Stefan and Elena no longer have a strong love and connection. There have been many different obstacles over the course of the series that have tried to come between them. Some of these obstacles include Stefan's brother, Damon, Stefan's blood addiction issues, the unexpectedly events in Mystic Falls, Klaus, Rebekah, the Originals, Katherine Pierce, John Gilbert, Stefan's Ripper phase and most recently, Elena's new found vampirism. Stefan ended their relationship in Season 4 because of her finally revealing she is in love with Damon. Elena admitted she no longer loves Stefan because he treats her like a project and looks at her like a broken toy and that she can't be with someone like that.
Powers and Abilities
Some of these powers are more potent when the vampire gets older and feeds on human blood.
- Super Strength - Vampires are much stronger than humans and grow stronger with time. Even new vampires who are still in transition can toss a fully grown human across a room with great speed and force. Their strength is also more powerful than werewolves that are not in wolf form.
- Super Agility - Vampires have shown that they can jump very high. Elena also did this when she jumped off a cliff in Down The Rabbit Hole.
- Super Speed - Vampires can accelerate their movements to cover short instances in an instant, faster than the human eye can see. When running across long distances, they appear as vibrating blurs of motion.
- Emotional Control - Like all vampires, Elena has the ability to switch off her humanity.
- Dream Manipulation - Vampires can control dreams and subconscious. The vampires can produce and modify dreams, bestow nightmares or lucid dreaming. Other effects of this ability is the distortion of reality and trapped in the dreams.
- Heightened Senses - Vampires have extremely keen senses of hearing, sight and smell that far exceed those of humans and werewolves.
- Mind Compulsion - Vampires have the ability to control minds, plague people's dreams, and alter/erase human memories.
- Immortality - A vampire stops aging once turned. Upon their transformation, vampires then on become immune to all conventional illness, disease, virus and infection.
- Healing Factor - Vampires heal extremely quickly, but still feel the pain of a wound before it heals. Vampires can snap their bones back into place after being broken and have been seen to fully recover from gunshots, stab wounds, and torso impalement.The only injury that cannot be healed on its own is a werewolf bite.
- Lapis Lazuli - She possesses a Lapis Lazuli ring that enables her to walk in daylight without being harmed.
- Decapitation: The act of dismembering or removing the head of a vampire will result in permanent death.
- Fire or Sunlight: The act of exposing a vampire to fire or sunlight will result in permanent death.
- Vervain: The act of exposing or ingesting a vampire with vervain causes a vampire to become severely feverish and weak. Also, If a vampire's skin is exposed to vervain, it can result in burning them. Also vampires can't compel anyone on vervain.
- Wood: The act of wounding a vampire with wood will cause the vampire to become severely weak and if a vampire takes a wooden stake through its heart it will result in permanent death.
- Heart Extraction: The act of extracting or removing the heart of a vampire will result in permanent death.
- Invitation: Vampires cannot enter a home without an invitation by the owner.
- Magic: Vampires are susceptible to the powers of witchcraft including the creation of harmful magical objects.
- Desiccation: Vampires who abstain from blood for extended amounts of time will eventually desiccate into mummification.
- Vampire Bloodline: If an Original vampire dies, all vampires descended from their bloodline will slowly perish.
- Werewolf Bite: The bite of a werewolf is extremely lethal to vampires. It will cause them to hallucinate, grow severely weak and go rabid until it kills them. Klaus' hybrid blood can cure the bite.
- Broken Neck: Breaking a vampires neck is a common way to subdue one, it will not kill them but it will keep them unconscious for several hours and when they are still unconscious they won't have a pulse and appear to be dead.
- Main article: Elena Gilbert (novel)
In the novels, Elena is described as a very beautiful, popular girl in high school. All of the boys want her and all of the girls want to be like her. Elena was born July 6, 1974 in Fells Church, Virginia to Thomas Gilbert and Elizabeth Gilbert (née Morrow), who were tragically killed in a car accident years back. Elena is 17 at the beginning of the very first book, and she is the most beautiful, popular girl at Robert E. Lee High School (mainly called the Queen). Physically, Elena is extremely beautiful, drop dead gorgeous and she is every boy's dream. She has an 'angelic' physical appearance. Elena has a thick, long, straight pale golden hair, which reaches just above her waist and is so fair in color, it almost seems to shimmer in the sunlight like gold. Elena has an unusual, unique eye color of blue, which is described to be the same color of lapis lazuli (a deep, dark blue) stone (which is the stone vampires use to protect themselves from sunlight) with flecks of gold (but have also been described to be the color of violets). She has a fair, pale, and creamy skin (compared to the color of swans, alabaster or porcelain) with light rosy pink cheeks, long dark-blonde lashes, and dark blonde eyebrows.
Elena is of average height for a teenage girl and she is described to have a slender, gorgeous body. According to Stefan, Elena is about a good hand span taller than Katherine. Although Elena has a strong physical resemblance to Katherine, there are slight physical differences among the two girls. While Katherine has lighter, silvery eyebrows and eyelashes, Elena's brows and lashes are darker blonde. Katherine is described to have extremely long (it pools and trails behind her on the floor) darker blonde curlier hair while Elena has pale gold blonde straight hair. Elena sees herself as beautiful; therefore, she is quite proud and vain. Elena is said to strongly resemble Katherine, so much so that Stefan is strongly reminded of Katherine when he unexpectedly meets Elena for the first time in the first novel. There are repeated references as to her looking like an angel or "angelic". Personality wise, Elena is described as loyal, protective, caring, strong-willed, determined, popular, sociable and active. However, she is also selfish, self-absorbed, vain, spoiled, childish and headstrong. Over the course of the series, Elena transforms from a shallow, self-centered, vain "Ice Queen" to a much more loving, compassionate, understanding, and open-minded person.
Most of this extreme change in Elena's personality and outlook had to do with her meeting Stefan. In terms of love and romance, Elena often used the boys or the opposite sex as toys, prizes and objects to help boost her self-esteem. Elena always felt that even though all of the boys in Fells Church desired her and wanted to be with her, she felt that she was yearning for something "more" and that something (or somebody) was "missing". Elena's first love was her childhood friend, Matt Honeycutt, who is the good-looking, all-American, star athlete. At the very beginning of the school year, Elena breaks up with Matt because she feels that there are no sparks in their relationship and that she discovers that she loves Matt in more of a platonic, cousin, brother or best friend way.
Elena's life changes forever when she unexpectedly encounters a handsome, mysterious, foreign boy, Stefan Salvatore. Elena is deeply, passionately in love with her soul mate Stefan (to whom she is connected and bound to by a "silver cord"), but she also has deep feelings of desire for Damon (Stefan's dangerous, malevolent elder brother). Elena dies several times in the series, going from a regular human, to a vampire (after she consumes enough vampire blood from both Salvatore brothers), to a ghost/spirit of the afterlife, to a supernatural human with special powers and abilities.
Most recently, Elena has discovered that she is a Guardian on Earth, a very rare species. Guardians are said to create balance between good vs. evil on Earth and are destined to fight all darkness and evil vibes on Earth, restoring good on Earth as much as possible.
- Elena is a feminine first name of Greek origin ‘Ελενη (Elene) or ‘ελενη (Elene) which means "torch". The meaning of Elena is "the shining light", "the bright one" or "light". It is a variation of the name Helen.
- Other spellings of the name Elena include Eleana, Eleen, Eleena, Elen, Elenah, Elene, Elenitsa, Elenka, Elenna, Elenoa, Elenola,, Eleene, Elina, Eleenah, Elyna, Elynah, Elinah, Elenie, Eleni, Eleene, Eleyn, Elenitsa, Elenea, Eleneah, Elenee, Elenie, Eleny, Lena, Lina, Leena, Leyna, Leina, Lyna, Lenci, Lencie, Lency, Lencey, Lencee, Lenka, Lencea, Elana, Elanna, Elanah, Elanie, Elani, Elany, Elaney, Elanee, Elan, Elanea, Elaneah, Ilena, Ilene, Ilean, Ileen, Ileene, Ileena, Ilenna, Ileana, Iliana, Ileanna, Ileane, Illeanna, Illia, Illiana, Illianna, Illionya, Ilona, Ilonna, Iliona, Ilone, Ilonka, Illonna, Ilon.
- Gilbert, which is Elena's surname, is a surname of Germanic origin. The English-language surname is derived from Giselbert, a medieval personal name composed of the following Germanic elements gisil ("pledge", "hostage", "noble youth") and berht ("bright", "famous"). This personal name was very popular in England during the Middle Ages. Gilbert, as a first name, is a British Isles given name of Norman-French and Old German origins. Original spellings included Gislebert, Guilbert and Gilebert. The prefix, Gil-, comes from gisil, meaning "a noble youth", while the suffix, -bert comes from beraht, meaning "bright" or "famous". Variant spellings have evolved throughout Europe, including the Romance language version, Gilberto, and the Latin version, Gilbertus. The diminutive, Gil, is popular as a given name or nickname.
- Elena's car is a 2008 Ford Escape SUV and the license plate on her car is EFG 3J85.
- Elena along with all the Petrova Doppelgängers's names end with the letter "A". Amara, Tatia, Katerina.
- Elena's birthday is June 25.
- Elena's zodiac sign is Cancer.
- Elena wanted to be a writer. It is unknown if she still wants to be one after her transition.
- Elena's mother, Miranda gave Elena her first diary when she was 9 and she started writing in her diary when she was 10 years old.
- Elena has been seen to have a variety of different cell phones since season one. In season one, she had a Blackberry Pearl, Blackberry Bold, a Purple Blackberry Curve 8520 and a Nokia Lumia 610 White. In season three, she was seen to have an AT&T Samsung Captivate and a White AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket.
- Elena used to be a cheerleader along with Bonnie and Caroline.
- Elena's favorite food is chicken Parmesan.
- Elena is friends with Bonnie and Meredith in the books but in the series, Meredith and Elena aren't close friends and Bonnie and Caroline are Elena's best friends.
- In the series, Elena's first significant kill was an Original, Elijah. In the books Elena kills Katherine (and dies along with her) and the first to destroy one of the Old Ones (Klaus).
- Elena had a relationship with Matt, but broke up with him about 4 months before the beginning of the series. At the very beginning of the series, Elena unexpectedly meets Stefan, is instantly drawn to him, falls in love with him and develops a romantic relationship with him.
- In the novels, her middle name is Marie, but in the series, her middle name, if she has one, is never mentioned.
- In the series, many physical and personality aspects of Elena in the books are passed to the character of Caroline.
- In the novels, Caroline hates Elena. In the series, Caroline and Elena are best friends.
- In the novels, Elena becomes a vampire. In the series, it is Caroline who becomes a vampire first (second episode of the second season. 2x02). Elena became a vampire in the finale of Season 3
- In the novels, Elena has pale skin, light blonde hair and deep, blue eyes and is heavily Anglo-Saxon in appearance. In the series, Elena has light olive skin, dark brown hair and brown eyes and is exotic looking (due to her part Bulgarian background).
- In the series, Elena has a younger brother named Jeremy and an aunt named Jenna. In the books, Elena has a little sister named Margaret and an aunt named Judith.
- Damon tried to turn Elena into a vampire on two occasions:
- The first was when Stefan and Elena manage to find Emily's Grimoire and he used her to blackmail Stefan into giving it to him.
- The second was when Elena was ready to die in the sacrifice and Damon gives his blood to her so he can be sure she will come back and he won't lose her.
- Both the first and second seasons end in the Gilbert house.
- Elena is the only person who woke up as a human after dying with vampire blood in her system. This is because of the spell Bonnie put on Elena and John to bind their life forces together.
- Elena is the only human that has neutralized three Originals (Elijah, Rebekah, and Mikael), but removed the dagger in two cases (Elijah and Mikael).
- Elena once said that, just like her adoptive mother, she cannot cook.
- In both the books and the series, Elena drowns with vampire blood in her system after a vampire causes the vehicle to drive over the Wickery Bridge. In the books, it was Katherine; in the series, it was Rebekah.
- All of Elena's kills as a human were Original vampires, with the exception of Alaric, who was a human when Elena first killed him, but became an Original later. Ironically, Elena was also responsible for Alaric's death as an Original because when Esther turned him she bound Elena's life with Alaric's.
- Elena is the sixth main character to be turned into a vampire after Vicki, Caroline, Jenna, Tyler as a hybrid, and Alaric.
- Elena is the fourth main female character to be turned into a vampire after Vicki, Caroline and Jenna.
- Elena is the second main vampire/hybrid character to form a sire bond to her sire(Damon), but she is the first one whose sire bond is based on romantic feelings.
- Elena, along with Stefan and Damon, are the only main characters who has appeared in all episodes of the series.
- It's been confirmed that it's Damon's blood who turned Elena in a vampire. So it is Rebekah who killed her as a human and Damon's blood who has turned Elena a vampire, she is the first to be turned into a vampire by three characters -
- Meredith Fell injects vampire's blood to save her life from a cerebral hemorrhage (bleeding on the brain).
- Damon Salvatore's blood turned Elena into a vampire.
- Rebekah Mikaelson was the one who caused Elena's death by standing in the middle of Wickery Bride, causing Matt and Elena to drown underwater.
- Elena wears her Lapis Lazuli daylight ring on her ring finger. Coincidentally, Elena also wears her daylight ring on her right hand like Stefan does.
- Both times an Original has killed her as a human.
- Her first kill as a vampire was Connor.
- She is the third person in her family who have slept with Damon Salvatore. The first one is her ancestor Katherine Pierce (Katerina Petrova) and the second is her own mother; Isobel Saltzman.
- Elena had a hand in the death of 2 originals, Finn and Kol.
- In Stand By Me, Damon uses his sire bond and tells Elena to switch off her humanity because of Jeremy's death.
- In Because the Night, Elena changes her look.
- Elena having her humanity turned off doesn’t necessarily make her emotionless. It makes her less sensitive to pain — her own, and other people’s.
- Elena is one of the three last members of the Petrova FamilyElena,Katherine and Nadia.
- To date, Elena has the biggest loss of humanity of any vampire seen, as she confessed to Elijah that she took pleasure in watching Jeremy's body burn. She also attempted to kill Caroline and Bonnie for unknown reasons, and has been seen talking down to even original vampires. She later turns it back on.
- Elena forced Katherine to take the Cure and is the first person to turn a vampire into a human.
- Elena was one of the two characters sired to Damon. The other was Charlotte.
- Before she became a vampire, Elena was the fifth doppelgänger of the Petrova Doppelgänger.
- Though being a vampire made her Doppelganger genes inactive, in Death and the Maiden, Tessa used her (Amara and Katherine's) blood to transfer the anchor powers to Bonnie.