|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 4, Episode 14|
|Air date||February 14, 2013|
|Written by||Jose Molina|
|Directed by||Chris Grismer|
|Episode Guide Transcript|
Into the Wild
Stand By Me
CHARLIE BEWLEY FROM “TWILIGHT” GUEST STARS AS ONE OF THE FIVE HUNTERS - On the island, Damon has an ugly run-in with a vampire hunter named Vaughn, and realizes he is one of The Five. Stefan confesses his true feelings about the possibility of becoming human again to Elena. When a stunning new piece of information about the Cure is suddenly revealed, it changes the stakes for everyone. Jeremy helps Bonnie recognize what is real and what is an illusion, and Shane is comforted by a woman from his past, Caitlin. Back in Mystic Falls, Caroline and Tyler find that their attempt to translate the code on the Hunter's Sword is futile without help from Klaus, who has his own reasons for wanting to solve the puzzle.
Special Guest Star
- Antagonists: Galen Vaughn, Silas, Atticus Shane and Katherine Pierce.
- Katherine Pierce made her long-awaited reappearance.
- A scene with Klaus and Tyler was cut from this episode. 
- Silas' psychic abilities are shown for the first time when Bonnie accidentally gets cut and drips blood into the well near the tomb, which allows Silas to make a connection to her and create an illusion of Grams to manipulate her into freeing him.
- Katherine Pierce fed Silas with Jeremy's blood, reviving Silas enough for him to kill Jeremy by snapping his neck.
- Jeremy was later resurrected by Bonnie in Graduation.
- Tyler fled town at the end of the episode after Klaus was freed from his boundary spell and vowed to chase him down.
- Damon threatened to kill Vaughn, even though doing so would have resulted in Damon activating the Hunter's Curse, though it is possible that he may not have meant it literally.
- Matt doesn't appear in this episode .
- Damon makes a joke to Vaughn that he wouldn't know anything about tattoos, as his skin is flawless. However, Ian Somerhalder actually does have a tattoo on his forearm which says "Hic et Nunc," meaning "Here and Now."
- It is revealed in this episode that Klaus speaks Aramaic.
- Katherine was last seen in Homecoming, though she appeared as a hallucination in We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes.
- Shelia appeared as an illusion in this episode. Her last appearance was in Growing Pains as a ghost.
- Jeremy recalled his ability to see ghosts in this episode when he reminds Bonnie that since he could not see Grams, it had to be an illusion created by Silas to mess with her head, as well as with Shane's.
- The Sword of Alexander was used to decipher the symbols in the Hunter's Mark.
- The sword was last seen in O Come, All Ye Faithful.
- The title is a reference to Alice in Wonderland.
- "The rabbit hole" is where The White Rabbit jumps down and Alice follows. In the tunnel there are many objects and things, and the walls are filled with books and jars. It resembles a tall and thin house. The objects in the tunnel appear to be floating, and in the bottom of the tunnel there is an armchair full of dry leaves.
- Damon mentions Shrek: a grouchy, cynical, terrifying green ogre that has always enjoyed living in peaceful solitude in his swamp.
- Caroline says she watched The Da Vinci Code (In which a professor of religious iconography and symbology is the prime suspect in the grisly and unusual murder of Louvre curator. He escapes with the assistance of a police cryptologist, and they are embroiled in a quest for the legendary Holy Grail.)
- Although Caroline says the device on the hilt is a cryptex, it's function is different from the object used in the movie. In that instance, it was a safe that had a papyrus with a message inside. They needed the code word to open the compartment and get the message. In this episode, the hilt of the sword is more like a scytale that helps decipher the symbols in the tattoo.
- The Hope Diamond is a very large, deep blue diamond that is on display at the Smithsonian Institute.
- As Klaus explains, Aramaic is a language of the Semitic group. It is generally agreed that Jesus and his disciples spoke Aramaic, and it was the main language of Jews in Biblical times. There are still pockets of populations that speak Aramaic today. The biggest question is what were Jewish witches doing in an island off of Nova Scotia, Canada 2,000 years ago.
- Klaus' dialogue to Caroline: "I've shown kindness, forgiveness, pity... because of you, Caroline. It was all for you" is very similar to Jareth's dialogue to Sarah in Labyrinth :" Everything that you wanted I have done... I have done it all for you! I am exhausted from living up to your expectations. Isn't that generous?"
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 2.31 million viewers in the USA which was 0.20 million less than the previous episode.
- (Rebekah is roaming the beach trying to get service on her cell phone and spots Stefan and Elena)
- Elena: "And once again everyone's life is in danger looking for this cure because poor Elena can't deal with being a vampire."
- Stefan: "No. Everyone's here because they want to be. Not just for you, but for themselves too."
- Elena: "Stefan, why didn't you tell me you wanted the cure for yourself?"
- Stefan: "I mean, why wouldn't I want to take it? I've seen every side of vampirism. There is the power, the misery, the guilt. And, in the long run, the good parts kind of suck, too."
- Elena: "Yeah, I mean, I know why you would want to take it, but what I'm asking is why didn't you tell me?"
- Stefan: "Because it had nothing to do with you. I mean, you know how much I wanted a human life with you. Being human myself, being normal -- that's something I've wanted long since before I met you."
- Elena: "Well, I'm glad you told me now."
- Stefan: "Yeah. What's a deeply buried personal secret between friends, right?"
- Elena: "Between friends? I like that."
- (Elena smiles at Stefan and reaches for his hand as Rebekah watches in the distance)
- (Elena and Caroline talk on the phone. Rebekah and Stefan eavesdrop on Elena's side, while Klaus eavesdrops on Caroline's.)
- Caroline: "Tell me you’re not serious."
- Elena: "I wish I weren't. When we got back from looking for Jeremy, Shane and Bonnie were both gone, too. Shane needs Bonnie in order to cast the spell, and Jeremy’s tattoo in order to find the cure, and he managed to sneak them both out from under our noses."
- Caroline: "Well, where is Damon in all of this?"
- Elena: "We had an argument. I thought he was just taking a walk, but then when we went to the beach and we saw signs of a struggle."
- Caroline: "Meaning what?"
- Elena: "Meaning somebody probably jumped him and then grabbed him!"
- Caroline: "Do you think Shane took him?"
- Elena: "No, he’s not strong enough to take on Damon, even with the element of surprise. He must have someone-- or at least a few someones --helping him."
- Caroline: "I’m so sorry. I wish I was there to help."
- Elena: "Maybe there’s something you can do from home."
- Caroline: "Anything. Tell me!"
- Elena: "Well, Shane’s looking for the cure. We think we can find him. We have pictures of Jeremy’s tattoo, but we just can’t translate the map."
- Caroline: "Unless you get the Hunter’s Sword from Klaus…"
- Elena: "Exactly."
- Rebekah: "He’ll never give up the sword."
- Stefan: "Yeah, but if anyone’s going to get him to give it up, it’s Caroline."
- Rebekah: "He will never give up the sword, not even for Caroline. He’s terrified we’ll use the cure against him to make him mortal. And, even if he wasn't, he wouldn't want any of us to derive a moment’s worth of happiness from being human."
- Stefan: "Well, maybe he doesn't have to give it up. I mean, Klaus is stuck in Elena’s house because of Bonnie’s spell. He can’t go anywhere. There are only so many places you can hide a three-foot piece of metal."
- Caroline: "I’ll find it, don’t worry. Just e-mail me pics of Jeremy’s tattoo. I’ll find the sword, and I’ll call you back."
- Elena: "Thank you, Caroline."
- Klaus: "Need my help with anything, love?"
- Caroline: "Nope."
- (Caroline leaves the Gilbert House while Klaus looks offended)
- Klaus: "Well, might I suggest using the magic of the internet to purchase an Aramaic-to-English dictionary from your nearest retailer?"
- Tyler: "What's Aramaic?"
- Caroline: "It's a dead language. It hasn't been used since, like, biblical times."
- Klaus: "Qetsiyah's native tongue, I'm guessing. You know, even if you had the best dictionary in the world, it could take days to translate. Perhaps weeks. (speaks in Aramaic)"
- Caroline: "What does that mean?"
- Klaus: "If only you spoke Aramaic."
- Damon: "You mind telling me where we're going?"
- Vaughn: "At the wishing well lies an entrance to a crypt. In the crypt lies Silas. And with Silas lies the cure, which will allow me to kill Silas. Bring the mission of The Brotherhood of the Five to an end. You're my leverage, Damon. I use you to get your witch friend to open the passage to Silas' crypt for me."
- Damon: "Wait a minute. You're using me to get to Bonnie Bennett? Whoa, brother, heh, you picked the wrong vampire."
- Jeremy: "Hey, Bon. What do you think's gonna happen once you cast the spell on my tattoo and there's nothing in between Shane and Silas?"
- Bonnie: "Do you trust me?"
- Jeremy: "Yeah, of course."
- Bonnie: "Then trust me when I promise I won't let Shane raise Silas."
- Jeremy: "Just don't do anything stupid. If your Expression gets out of hand, Shane is the only one that can help you keep it in control."
- Bonnie: "Don't worry about me. I'm fine. But if Shane tries to lift one finger on his hand to hurt either one of us...I'll kill him myself."
- (Caroline and Rebekah are talking over the phone)
- Caroline: "We have the translation of the tattoo. We're emailing you pictures of the map and instruction right now."
- Rebekah: "Got it. Thanks"
- Klaus: "Actually, it was me."
- Rebekah: "Nik, you helped?"
- Klaus: "You sound so surprised, little sister."
- Rebekah: "Shouldn't I be? I mean, you don't want me to be human. You don't want any of us to be human. Why would you help us find the cure?"
- Klaus: "Maybe I finally realized the longer I stand in the way of what you want, the longer you'll continue to hate me. Perhaps I want my sister to finally know happiness."
- Rebekah: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me a hundred times..."
- Klaus: "No more fooling. No more games. I hope you get to live, and die, as you wish."
- Rebekah: "So do I."
- Klaus: "There is one more thing, Rebekah. (speaks quickly) There is only one dose of the cure. You need to find it first and take it. It's the only way you'll...
- (Tyler quickly hangs up the phone)
- Summary -