The Donovan Family is a secondary family in the story. Unlike the other families, they are not a founding family and it is still unclear how they got to Mystic Falls in the first place.
- Kelly Donovan: grew up in Mystic Falls and was best friends with Miranda Sommers in high school. She used to babysit Jenna Sommers, Miranda's sister and they became good friends. She and Miranda remained good friends after Miranda married Grayson Gilbert and their children Matt Donovan and Elena Gilbert sometimes used to share a crib. Kelly had a daughter named Vicki and a son, Matt. Several years later, Kelly left Mystic Falls with her boyfriend Pete and left Matt and Vicki alone.
- Vicki Donovan: was born on August 20, 1991. She was older than Matt. She was a rebel and frustrated girl with a low self-esteem and used drugs as an escape route with her personal problems. Also, she did not share her true emotions with anyone and did not think that she had a future. She also dated Jeremy Gilbert and he was devastated when she died. She was turned into a vampire by Damon Salvatore (out of bordom), only to later be staked by Stefan.
- Matt Donovan: was born in Mystic Falls to Kelly Donovan and an unnamed father. He had an older sister, Vicki Donovan. Because their mothers were best friends, Matt knew Elena Gilbert since they were born. They grew up being really good friends and they started dating in their teens. When Elena's parents died, she broke up with Matt because she needed time alone. He still hoped they could be together, but it wasn't likely to happen because Elena and Stefan started dating. He later became a Medium, after drowning and being brought back to life by Bonnie Bennett.
The Donovan family tree is incomplete because it is unknown who Matt and Vicki's father is, so he is not mentioned in the tree.
|Kelly Donovan||Kelly's Husband|
|Vicki Donovan †||Matt Donovan|
- The Donovan Family is a combination of the Bennett and Honeycutt families from the novels.
- In the novels, Vicki and Matt aren't related.
- Kelly and Vicki were not shown communicating.
- It is unknown what had happened with Matt and Vicki's father.
- This family has the least amount of members, as only three are known.
- An original version of the Donovan family showed Julie Plec trying to write Kelly as a Subuccus, but the idea was scrapped after the thought of having too many supernatural creatures brought up.