|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 3, Episode 20|
|Air date||April 26th, 2012|
|Written by||Michael Narducci|
|Directed by||Joshua Butler|
|Episode Guide transcript|
Heart of Darkness
Do Not Go Gentle is the twentieth episode of the Third Season and the sixty-fourth episode in the series.
WHAT THE WORLD HAS TO OFFER - Alaric finds an unexpected ally to guide him on his dangerous new direction, while Damon and Meredith try to figure out what their next move should be. At the schools 1920's Decade Dance, Bonnie asks Jamie to go with her and, at Caroline's suggestion, Elena asks Stefan to be her date. Caroline is pleasantly surprised when Tyler shows up at the dance determined to sweep her off her feet, but Klaus does his best to come between them. The dance takes a deadly turn when Damon and Stefan realize they need the help of Matt, Jeremy and especially Bonnie's help to undo a spell that could prove devastating for everyone.
- Nina Dobrev as Elena Gilbert
- Paul Wesley as Stefan Salvatore
- Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore
- Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert
- Candice Accola as Caroline Forbes
- Zach Roerig as Matt Donovan
- Katerina Graham as Bonnie Bennett
- Matt Davis as Alaric Saltzman/The Darkness
- Michael Trevino as Tyler Lockwood
- Joseph Morgan as Niklaus Mikaelson
- Antagonist: Esther and Alaric Saltzman/Darkness.
- All main cast members are present in this episode for the third time this season after The Birthday and Our Town.
- This episode features a 20's decade dance and the theme of the dance was influenced by Rebekah, but she herself could not make it to the dance due to an unfortunate accident.
- Jeremy returns to Mystic Falls in this episode. The last time he was in town was in Our Town.
- Julie Plec cried during the read-thru of this episode over a sad Stefan's scene.
- Winner's song from the contest was used in this episode.
- This is the episode in which Alaric was turned into a Hunter (Vampire who hunts vampires) by Esther.
- Alaric is the fifth main character to turn into a vampire, after Vicki, Caroline, Jenna and Tyler (as a hybrid). As of this episode over half the main cast are vampires, with the exception of Elena, Jeremy, Matt and Bonnie.
- Esther meets Jeremy and Matt in this episode.
- Jamie meets Jeremy and Klaus in this episode.
- Jeremy and Klaus finally meet.
- Klaus and Caroline danced for the second time this season in this episode.
- The first time was in Dangerous Liaisons.
- Steven R. McQueen makes his 50th appearance as Jeremy Gilbert in this episode.
- As of this episode, no main characters are "human" in the strictest sense.
- This episode had 2.220 million viewers in the USA.
- Meredith, Jamie and Abby were last seen in Break On Through. Abby is mentioned by Damon in the episode.
- Elijah was mentioned by Damon. He was last seen in All My Children.
- Bonnie's house was shown for the first time this season. She was last residing in Shelia Bennett's house in Season One.
- Jenna was mentioned twice by Alaric and Esther. She was killed by Klaus in The Sun Also Rises.
- "Do not go gentle into that good night " is the refrain and title of a 1951 poem by Dylan Thomas, who wrote it for his dying father. He tries to convince his father to fight against his imminent death.
- "Last Hurrah " is a final appearance or effort, usually at the end of one career. From the 1956 novel The Last Hurrah by Edwin O'Connor, also a movie adaptation with Spencer Tracy.
- "The Bachelor " American TV series were an eligible bachelor can choose a mate from a pool of young women. At the beginning of the show he must go on a date with each of the potentials.
- "Bromance " a strong male-bonding, ideally not homosexual, relationship.
- "Dapper " neat and trim in dress and appearance.
- "Mercy Killing " is the practice of killing a person or animal, in a painless way or as painless as possible, as an act of mercy, usually to end suffering.
- "Ring of Salt " it is traditional for witches to make a ring of salt to define a space, to keep evil spirits out of their working circles or to entrap them. On the other hand it could be a reference to the TV series "Supernatural ", where they frequently use rings of salt as defense, or their viral campaign "A Ring of Salt will protect you ".
- "Seven minutes in heaven " is a teenagers party game where two people are locked inside a locker or bathroom for seven minutes, when they can do whatever they please - usually kissing and making out.
- "Alpha Male" is the dominant male on a group of social animals. In wolves, the Alpha is the strongest animal, and he maintain his dominance by defeating challengers in combat.
- Caroline: "I watched The Bachelor, fair is fair. It's Stefan's turn."
- Elena (to Stefan): "I don't know where we are, what we are, or if we can ever make our way back to each other, but I'm going to the dance and I'd really like you to go with me."
- Esther (In Rebekah's body): "I have big plans for tonight."
- Caroline (to Elena): "Who're you gonna bring to the dance?"
- Damon (to Alaric): "I've been calling you all day!"
- Alaric: "Yeah, sorry about that. I just needed to get my head together."
- Damon: "So I take you and Rebekah got the stake?"
- Alaric: "I don't know. I woke up alone."
- Damon: "What now?"
- Alaric: "I think I need to get out of town. I keep blacking out which means I am still a threat to everyone."
- Damon: "I don't know if right now is the best time for you to be going on a spirit quest, Ric."
- Alaric: "It's just for a couple of days. I am stocked up on Bonnie's herbs, so I should be fine."
- Klaus (to Tyler): "Where have you been, mate?"
- Damon: "Sorry I killed you... twice."
- Alaric: "So I have to actually die to get a real apology out of you."
- Damon: "Drink?"
- Alaric: "Actually I've been thinking about cutting back."