|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 3, Episode 4|
|Air date||October 6th 2011|
|Written by||Brian Young|
|Directed by||Wendey Stanzler|
|Episode Guide Transcript|
The End of The Affair
SummaryFAMILY TIES — Still in Chicago, Klaus uses Gloria, who is a witch he knew long ago, to help him track down missing information that will explain why his plan isn’t working. Gloria’s spells reveal intriguing glimpses of the truth, but she soon realizes she needs Stefan's knowledge to complete the puzzle. When Stefan suddenly finds himself in danger, help comes from a surprising ally. Back in Mystic Falls, a frustrating new enemy pushes Damon over the brink and he lashes out in a way that will have lasting consequences. Caroline struggles with her own emotional issues, even as she tries to help Elena face her feelings. Jeremy makes a brief, but disturbing breakthrough with one of his ghostly visitors, leaving him more confused than ever. Finally, Bonnie has a strange encounter that will affect everyone.
- Antagonists: Gloria, Bill Forbes and Damon Salvatore.
- This episode had about 2.63 million viewers in the US.
- In the trailer, Damon tells Elena that "he isn't Stefan". This has happened twice before, however Stefan told Katherine that "he isn't Damon", and Elena told Rose "she isn't Katherine".
- Bonnie called Anna "Annie". This may be a hint that Bonnie isn't too happy about Jeremy being able to see ghosts.
- This episode does not feature a cold open or teaser that introduces the main plot.
- It's unknown which Original Stefan was about to revive, most people believed it was Elijah. He was last seen in As I Lay Dying.
- In the opening scene at the clothes store, Rebekah asks Stefan what he thinks of the dress and he says he likes it. She replies that she can always tell when he is lying. Later in the episode she uses this ability to tell Klaus that he has been lying and is hiding something. She has not used this ability since.
- Damon notes that Ric takes too long to come back to life and comments that the ring might be going bad.
- Gloria, Rebekah, Elizabeth and Katherine were all last seen in The End of The Affair.
- Anna and Carol were both last seen in The Hybrid.
- Brady is seen through a flashback. He was last seen in Crying Wolf (killed by Stefan).
- Bonnie returns in this episode. She was last seen in The Birthday on Jeremy's cell phone.
- Bonnie mentions bringing Jeremy back to life and the "consequences" from her spell, which occurred in As I Lay Dying.
- The Darkness takes root in Alaric's subconscious after Damon kills him and influences his later behavior at the Founder's Meeting.
- This is the first episode since Crying Wolf to feature a death from Alaric, but this time, Damon kills him.
- Klaus reveals why he liked the 20's the most (The Last Dance).
- Damon asks Bill if he's into the daddy-daughter torture thing. This is a reference to ageplay, a form of roleplaying in which an individual acts or treats other as if they are of a different age. There are sexual variations, one of the possible pairings is Daddy/Daughter.
- Katherine call Gloria "Hilda", its a reference to a popular cartoon witch, Broom-Hilda .
- Gloria say she is "old style Voodoo". Voodoo is a syncretic religion, originated in Haiti.The dark side of vodou, including blood rituals and sacrifice, has often been used bor dramatic effects in movies.
- Disturbing Behavior is a 1998 thriller science fiction film starring James Marsden, Katie Holmes, and Nick Stahl. The film was released on 24 July 1998. The plot follows a group of high school outcasts who are horrified by their "Blue Ribbon" classmates. Director David Nutter was a director and producer of The X-Files as well as a director and co-executive producer of Millennium.
- Elena: "I'm just going to keep making chilli, pretend like I didn't just spend the entire summer looking for someone who didn't wanna be found."
- Damon (To Alaric): "She's in denial."
- Elena: "I'm not in denial."
- Katherine (To Stefan): "You two look chummy. Klaus your new bestie?"
- Anna: "Jeremy! Tell me you can hear me?"
- Jeremy: "Yeah, yeah, I can hear you alright, what the hell!"
- Gloria (To Stefan, about Elena): "She's supposed to be dead, and that's why Klaus can't make hybrids."
- Rebekah: "There has to be more to this dress."
- Stefan: "There’s not."
- Rebekah: "So women in the 21st century dress like prostitutes, then? I got dirty looks for wearing trousers."
- Klaus: "You wore trousers so women today could wear nothing."
- Katherine (To Stefan): "I’ve heard about that sister. Be careful. She’ll ruin you."
- Damon (To Bill): "So, Bill, I hear you’re into the whole daddy daughter vampire torture thing."
- Gloria (To Klaus): "You’re harshin’ my juju."
- Tyler: "You want me to kick his ass?"
- Caroline: "Yes. I mean, no. I bought him the shirt he’s wearing and it was really expensive."
- Stefan (About the other Originals): "Why don’t you un-dagger them?"
- Rebekah: "Because he would hunt me down and kill me. He’s a vindictive little bastard, my brother."
- Alaric: "You killed me."
- Damon: "You pissed me off."
- Alaric: "You killed me!"
- Damon: "Ric, no hard feelings, alright? I was on a bit of a tear, and everyone was trying to tell me how to behave."
- Alaric: "Maybe they finally realized you’re a dick."
- Bill (To Caroline): "Don’t worry. I’m going to go back home before somebody kills me."
- Caroline: "Daddy. I’m going to be okay."
- Bill: "You’re a vampire, sweetheart. I don’t think you’ll ever be okay again."
- Damon: "So, Mayor Lockwood called your gay ex-husband to torture your vampire daughter?"
- Liz: "Yes. I've been keeping him detained to make sure the vervain's out of his system, so you can, you know..."
- Damon: "Can't we just kill him?"
- Liz: "No, Damon. He's Caroline's father."
- Damon: "He sounds like a douche bag to me."
- Liz: "Yeah, well, just 'cause you and I are on okay terms, doesn't mean I'm suddenly a big advocate for your lifestyle."
- Damon: "Is that what you told him when you two got divorced?"