Dimensions, also known as worlds, are self-contained universes that mostly operate independently of each other. Most known dimensions seen thus far have existed on non-physical planes with the exception of the Prison Worlds and although shown to be parallel to our conventional plane, operate under supernatural laws of physics.
While some dimensions are known to naturally exist, others were created through witchcraft.
- Main article: Nature
It is not known the exact time the Earth begun to exist, but it is common knowledge that it is billions of years old, and all known life (Humans, plants and animals) originates from it; along with the various elemental and celestial forces that compliment them, therefore it serves as the primary home dimension in which all humans exist.
All humans have a deep connection to the Earth, as they obtain food and shelter from it and rely on it for everything, which enables them in daily living, however, there are humans who are born with a deeper connection to the Earth than the rest, and can through this connection, harness the natural resources of the Earth to perform Magic. These humans are called Witches.
It is through their connection to the Earth that witches can channel "Nature" e.g. the elements (Water, Fire, Air and Earth), celestial events (The Sun, The Moon, Aurora Borealis etc.) and any other thing that occurs in Nature, thus allowing them to perform witchcraft.
The Earth can also be seen as the physical or tangible aspect of "Nature" that can be perceived by the five human senses as witches use these words interchangeably to mean the same thing.
Given that the Earth is the primary realm of witches, it also seems to be the blueprint and or foundation for all the dimensions created by Witches; The Other Side, The Prison Worlds, The Ancestral Plane, The Astral Planes and even dimensions that exist within object like the Phoenix Stone, of which without the aforementioned dimensions would not function according to their design e.g. In Ancestral Magic, the power of the deceased consecrated witch must flow into the earth before it can reach the Ancestors in the Ancestral Plane, which would be used to fuel the powers of their living descendants.
The Prison Worlds
- Main article: Prison Worlds
- "Because there are only two prison worlds in existence, mine, created in 1994, and the one created in 1903 for the sole purpose of locking up your mom and her closet full of crazy pants."
- —Kai about the Prison Worlds
The Prison Worlds were created by the Gemini Coven and were bound to the power of its leader. They were used as prisons for those who have somehow wronged the Gemini Coven. Furthermore, the Prison Worlds were created with a temporal-loop that constantly repeats the same day over and over again. One of the worlds is set in 1903 and the other in 1994. Lastly, the only known way to escape from these dimensions is by using the Ascendant in conjunction with Bennett blood, and then harnessing an event that happened on the day the dimension was set by, such as an eclipse or aurora borealis.
- Main article: Afterlife
- "You're dying, Stefan. We're in the space between your final heartbeats. Between this world and your fate."
- —Arcadius to Stefan
The dimension known as the Space In-between is a place where the spirits of those moments before death linger temporarily before entering the various afterlife dimensions be it the Other Side, Ancestral Plane, Hell or otherwise. Lingering spirits are invisible to the living, even to those who possess mediumship. Only The Anchor and Psychics who possess their private dimensions are apparently able to see and interact with them.
The Bright World
- Main article: The Bright World
- "Though made a vampire, she remained pure, and she knows peace... which is all any of us can hope for."
- —Esther about the Bright World
The Bright World is believed to be a supernatural dimension of peace and one of the two ultimate destinations one takes in the afterlife. It is believed to be a beautiful realm populated by every soul (both human and non-human) that has successfully found peace.
The conditions met in which one finds peace are unexplored and remains unknown. While some deserving characters such as Alexia Branson, Jenna Sommers, and Sheila Bennett were in fact welcomed into the Bright World, many undeserving characters such as Esther and Dahlia, who were known to have committed malevolent deeds, were also said to have found peace.
- Main article: Hell
- "The dead are being torn away into nothingness. And they're not interested in going quietly."
- —Klaus about Hell
Hell is believed to be a supernatural dimension of misery and one of the two ultimate destinations one takes in the afterlife. It was originally believed to be an ugly realm populated by every soul (both human and non-human) that has failed to find peace.
It is revealed to be an afterlife dimension created by Arcadius to harvest evil souls after death. While some deserving characters such as Katherine Pierce, Markos, and Silas were in fact dragged into the Dark World, many undeserving characters such as Vicki Donovan and Maria, who were known to have committed benevolent deeds, were also said to have never found peace.
The Other Side
- Main article: The Other Side
- "Anna said it's like being here with all of us, only we can't see her or hear her. And she can't interact with anyone. She's all alone."
- —Jeremy Gilbert about the Other Side
The Other Side was a spiritual dimension that was exclusive to the souls of every deceased supernatural being. The Other Side was originally created by an extremely powerful witch by the name of Qetsiyah, as a way to prevent her ex-lover Silas from finding peace with her handmaiden Amara. However, it became a worldwide purgatory that imprisoned the soul of every supernatural being who had died. With the exception of witches, all supernatural creatures, such as vampires and werewolves, were damned to spend all of eternity in a state of solitude, unable to interact with others unless otherwise orchestrated by the free reigning witch spirits.
The Ancestral Plane
- Main article: Ancestral Plane
- "It was cold, dark and empty. And it went on forever."
- —Davina Claire about the Ancestral Plane
The Ancestral Plane is a spiritual dimension where every deceased ancestral witch who has participated in the ritual of consecration resides. It's creation was partially responsible by the talented witch, Ysabelle Dalliencourt. While it remains unknown if it's exclusive to New Orleans witches, whenever an ancestral witch is consecrated into the earth, their essence flows through the Earth, replenishing its power. According to Davina Claire, while the Ancestral Plane can appear dark and empty to an isolated member of the coven, it is in fact populated by the countless ancestors of the French Quarter Coven. While she initially thought she was alone, she eventually heard the Ancestors begin to talk to her.
- Main article: Chambre de Chasse
- "Her witches made this place. Drew my mind here. Though my body drowns, here, I can read and play music and see you."
- —Tristan de Martel about the Chambre de Chasse.
The Astral Plane is a psychic dimension that is exclusive to the minds of sentient beings. The Astral Plane can be entered through Astral Projection in which consciousnesses is manifested externally from the body.
Although normally free roaming, minds can be drawn to artificially construction rooms on the astral plane known as a Chambre de Chasse where they remain anchored through representational totems.
- "When Enzo died, you screamed. And something extraordinary happened at the moment of your deepest pain. A powerful psychic blast created an entire world. A private dimension linked only to you."
- —Arcadius about Bonnie's psychic dimension
Bonnie's Dimension is a personal afterlife dimension created from a psychic blast Bonnie Bennett released upon the death of her lover, Enzo. It is similar to but altogether separate dimension from Hell which takes the form of the destroyed Cabin own by Enzo. It is capable of drawing other spirits out from Cade's grasp such as for the case of Enzo.
It has been stated by Arcadius to be a very rare and powerful phenomenon.
- In The Five, Atticus Shane implied that there are more than one realities or dimensions of existence.
- In The Lies Will Catch Up To You, Arcadius admits that creating a personal afterlife dimension is an extremely rare occurrence. So much so that Bonnie is the second person to have done so after him in thousands of years.