|“||Once I unlink my friends from Klaus' sireline, I will unleash you to be the monster that you are so eager to be.||”|
Davina Claire is a very powerful witch of the French Quarter and also one of the main character of The Originals. She became the main subject of a power struggle between the witches, vampires and werewolves of New Orleans when eight months prior to the series, Marcel heard about the The Harvest ritual from Sophie. Marcel and Sophie disagreed with the ritual, due to the fact that the resurrection of the four teenage girls sacrificed was not guaranteed, so Marcel intervened in the ritual just in time to rescue Davina, who was the only Harvest girl who had yet to be sacrificed. Because the ritual wasn't completed, Davina had the energy of the three other witches who were sacrificed before her, as well as that of the ancestors of the witch community, flowing through her. This made her so incredibly powerful that it was becoming increasingly difficult for her to control all of the magical energy within her. Furthermore, Marcel used her power, as well as her anger toward the witches, to his advantage; Davina's immense power afforded her of the ability to sense when any of the French Quarter coven used magic, and she used this ability to help Marcel monitor and restrict the use of magic in the Quarter. As a result, at least one witch was killed by Marcel, whose new laws decreed that practicing magic were a crime punishable by death.
Ironically, it was Sophie, who initially didn't believe in the Harvest and told Marcel with the intention of convincing him to intervene, who created the plan that ultimately led to finding and sacrificing Davina in order to finally complete the Harvest. Her change in attitude regarding witchcraft and the faith involved in ancestral magic came after her niece, Monique Deveraux, was also sacrificed in the Harvest; she saw that Monique's power bleed out of her and into Davina, and suddenly realized that the Harvest was working, and not just a legend as she previously thought.
For most of her life, Davina's personality and actions were mainly defined by her desire to live a normal teenage life without magical powers. More recently, she became distrustful of Marcel, after his plan to take down Klaus failed, and he was forced to pledge his allegiance to him, along with the rest of the New Orleans vampires who lived through the fight. During this time, she became very close with Camille and Josh, the two people in the city who she felt she could trust. However, when the consequences of not finishing the Harvest began to affect everyone in the city, she eventually regained trust in Marcel and told him that she was glad to have lived the life that she had lived. It was then that she finally accepted her fate as a witch, and realized that dying in order to complete the Harvest was the right thing to do. She was supposed to come back to life after the Reaping; however, Celeste, secretly possessing Sabine's body, hijacked the energy from the ritual to bring three other powerful, deceased witches instead of the four girls who had been sacrificed. This left everyone believing that the ritual did not work, and that Davina and the three other Harvest girls were permanently dead. Davina was eventually resurrected in Le Grand Guignol, after the death of Celeste, and rejoined the New Orleans Coven again. However, she continues to help Marcel with her magic. In From a Cradle to a Grave, she resurrects Mikael and binds him to do her will, holding him captive in the same attic where Marcel had kept her in secret from the other witches months before.
Most of Davina's past is unknown so far expect for what she has mentioned . She presumably grew up in the Quarter as only child and didn't have the best realtionship with her parents as her mother was controlling and her dad wasn't in the picture. Davina went to public school with a boy named Tim, whom she met at age 10, and for whom she had romantic feelings. Davina was also best friends with Monique for some time before the Harvest, and was a member of the French Quarter witches and she was also one of the four young witches selected for The Harvest.
Upon the day the Harvest was to be completed, she and the other Harvest girls were deceived by the Elders regarding their fates and the events surrounding the sacrifice. They were told that the knife that was used on their palms for the blood sacrifice would put them in a peaceful limbo, but instead, Bastianna, the lead Elder who was performing the ritual, began to kill the girls by slitting their throats. As the last girl to be sacrificed, Davina witnessed the slaughter of the other selected girls, and was restrained by a fellow witch in her coven so she could not intervene. She felt betrayed by the Elders, as well as her mother, who stood by and witnessed the devastation and slaughter.
However, when Marcel and his vampires appeared, effectively ending the sacrifice by killing the majority of the witches in attendance, Marcel saved Davina's life and for eight months afterwards lived with him. Marcel spent the next eight months hiding her from the witches, and using her powers to help keep the witches in subjugation out of punishment for what they did to her and the other girls. The witches later felt betrayed by Davina, and when she was finally sacrificed in the Harvest and her spirit went back into the earth with the rest of the deceased New Orleans witches who practiced ancestral magic, the Ancestors shunned her until she was resurrected. Once she was brought back to life, she returned to her coven for a while. She began studying magic seriously at the Le Sais school and returned to her high school.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries
One of Marcel's daywalkers attends to Davina. She tells him that the witches are being quiet and opens her bedroom window so she can look outside and get some fresh air. The daywalker denies her request out of fear that she will be discovered by the witches. Davina becomes infuriated that she is constantly told what she can and cannot do, and she angrily throws the vampire through a window with telekinesis.
Throughout The Originals Series
In Rebirth, Davina has returned to high school after telling her coven that she was done with them. She is first seen in an old record shop which she frequently goes to. While speaking to the owner, she noticed a handsome young man watching her. He eventually leaves and Oliver comes in. After a brief exchange, he tells everyone to leave the store and interrogates the owner. As more werewolves come in, it is revealed that the owner is a vampire and, according to the new rules of the city, any vampire found in the Quarter is sentenced to death. As the wolves attack him, Davina uses her powers to stop them, giving him time to escape. She later goes to St. Anne's Church where she feeds Mikael and tells him that she will only let him kill Klaus when she finds a way to free her friends from Klaus's sireline. The next day, she returns to the store to find it closed. The young man comes up to her and, after a few comments on her music taste, he introduces himself as Kaleb.
In Alive and Kicking, Davina is still trying to unlink Marcel and Josh from Klaus' sire line, with Mikael mocking her attempts but at the same time offering his help. Davina rejects it, expressing paranoia that Mikael will trick her into breaking her control over him. She receives a text from Kol (who is still possessing Kaleb), inviting her out to coffee. As she leaves that attic to go meet him, it is revealed that Kol sent the message to distract her while he went to see what she was doing there, however he was unable to enter because she'd locked the attic door with a complex spell, leaving Kol, Esther and Finn to only speculate about what Davina was hiding. Marcel later contacts her and she goes to meet him, telling him about being stood up by Kaleb. He asks her to find the White Oak Stake but Davina promptly refuses, stating that she wouldn't find it just for it to be handed over to the Originals. Elijah steps in to further attempt negotiation but she condemns his and Klaus' actions, and leaves. Elijah realises she has the stake however, and informs Marcel.
Davina and Kol go on a date later that night, with Kol complementing her and revealing that he is also a witch, saying that he admires her for how she told her coven to shove it, noting a number of similarities between the two of them. Marcel keeps trying to call her and she excuses herself to take the call, arguing with Marcel about her possession of the stake and telling them that she's leaving the bar and to not try and find her, but Marcel and Elijah continue after her. She returns inside to Kol, with the place being cleared out for a 'private party', but really a number of wolves attacking Davina. Kol tries to defend her and gets thrown across the room while Davina is put in a position where she must call for Mikael, who arrives and kills several of the wolves before Davina accidentally loses her bracelet for a moment. Mikael tries to kill her but is stopped by Elijah, and Davina regains control of Mikael with the aid of Marcel, before the Original can kill his son. She sends him back to the attic while Elijah, Marcel and Kol look on in horror, before leaving herself.
PersonalityBefore the start of the series, Davina once had respect and loyalty for her coven, this changed after she was betrayed by her former coven, who not only try to kill her but they killed her best friend Monique Deveraux as well, also her mother was the worst one of them all, as she did nothing to help her daughter.
She asked her mother for help but Ms. Clarie did nothing to stop it, and turned a blind eye. She realized that her mother knew exactly what The Harvest is, and was willing to sacrifice her own daughter. Davina now has hatred for her former coven, and takes great pleasure in seeing them suffer.
Davina is a quiet girl living a very sheltered life. However, the extreme levels of restriction that have been placed upon her, has caused her to be hot tempered, a bad combination with her level of power. Davina seems to be used to getting her way, and when things go awry she is short-tempered. She has faced betrayal from her coven in the past, leading her to seek revenge against them. Marcel has said that Davina has authority issues. She seems to have a rebellious nature, as shown when she sneaks off to meet Tim in Girl in New Orleans. Davina's base personality seems to be that of a sweet girl longing for a normal life, however the events of her life have given her a dark side that she is not afraid to use, if the situation calls for it. She also has a manipulative side, as she tricked Marcel into keeping her at the church, so she could have a secret meeting with Elijah. Davina used to play the piano and enjoys listening to classical music such as Bach.
When she temporarily had the power of The Harvest, Davina was quite confident in her abilities, despite having little experience in actually using it.
After being resurrected, she is scared and skittish, not talking much. She is frightened, and doesn't want to use her magic. Marcel planned on using her once she was brought back to life, which hurt her a bit and makes her upset. Davina has a hard time since returning to the Witches, which was intensified by how much disdain she felt from Monique, her former best friend.
However, she slowly regains faith in her abilities and herself, and becomes stronger for it. She successfully resurrects and binds Mikael to her as part of her plan to kill Klaus. She is very loyal to her friends, as everything she's currently planning to do is for them, to remove a tyrant from their lives so that he, Klaus, can't hurt them anymore. She is also intelligent enough to realize that, though he holds himself differently, Elijah is ultimately cut from the same cloth as his half-brother.
Through it all though, Davina is still a teenage girl, longing for a normal life, and the chance to have fun.
Powers and Abilities
Probably one of the most powerful spells she has cast so far was the on she used to resurrect Mikael, while at the same time, keeping him under her control. As a Harvest Girl, she is a conduit to the Ancestors from beyond the grave.
Davina is a beautiful young woman in her late teens. She appears to have long, dark brown hair that is usually worn down in loose waves, although occasionally it is pulled up.
She possesses blue eyes with darkened eye lashes, rosy cheeks, full lips and a light tan skin. Davina had a small frame standing at approximately 5'3" with a slim body type. She is usually seen wearing white or pale colored dresses with some type of distinct pattern, although as the season progresses, has begun to wear darker shades such as grey and black. It can be noted that she is rarely seen wearing shoes. She was also absent of jewelry and wears minimal makeup.
- Main article: Marcel and Davina
- "He loves you."
- —Josh to Davina about Marcel
Davina met Marcel when he saved her from nearly being killed in The Harvest. Ever since then he has been protecting her from the witches who wish to complete the ritual. Davina trusted and even loved Marcel yet that trust was broken when Marcel didn't tell her that the last remaining elder and the last thing posing a threat to her, Agnes was dead. Davina believes that Marcel did not tell her that because he just wants her power and is using her. After Davina escapes due to Marcel's betrayal, she eventually returns after Tim's life is in danger, the two are reunited. Marcel tells her he cares for her and took her in as his own, although their relationship is far from being repaired. Marcel was protecting Davina from being sacrificed in Apres Moi, Le Deluge but due to everything that was happening, Davina decided that she was ready. After her death, he was devastated that she did not return from the dead. After killing Bastiana, Davina returned to the living. Marcel noticed Davina's changed personality and wanting her to feel safe, left her in the care of Genevieve. A month later, Davina felt abandoned by Marcel but Josh also reassured her that Marcel still loves her. While Marcel was banished from the French Quarter, Marcel continued to watch Davina from afar and in a sense, she felt like he was there watching her. She loves him very much and would do anything to save him.
- Main article: Davina and Josh
Josh and Davina are best friends. They first met when Marcel found about Klaus compelling him to spy on Marcel, and Marcel to Davina to erase his compulsion.The two bonded, and became good friends after that. She was supposed to erase his memory of her but she didn't. After that, they continued to secretly meet and Josh helped her when she was escaping from Klaus, Marcel and the Witches. He aided Davina in regaining her magic when she came back from the dead and eventually she was able to make him a daylight ring when Klaus gave her the spell. They are best friends and would do anything for each other.
- Klaus and Davina (Enemies)
- Elijah and Davina (Former Allies/Mutual Understanding)
- Rebekah and Davina (Allies)
- Davina and Camille (Friends)
- Davina and Monique (Former Best Friends/Enemies)
- Davina and Mikael (Allies)
- Davina and Kol (Flirting, Romantic Interests)
- Davina is a feminine name which is pronounced dah-VEE-nah. It is of Scottish and Hebrew origin, and the meaning is "beloved".
- Claire is a French name and it means "illustrious".
- Marcel claims that Davina is more powerful than the Originals. This was proven without a shadow of a doubt in the episode The Casket Girls, where Davina not only overpowered and knocked out 2 Originals (Klaus and Elijah), but was even able to force Klaus to almost transform into his wolf state (despite the fact that hybrids can control when they transform).
- Davina is powerful enough to fight an Original with her telekinesis, as well as being able to erase memories from Rebekah on where she lives.
- Davina refers to the Mikaelson Family as The Old Ones.
- Davina Claire and the actress who plays her - Danielle Campbell - share the same initials DC.
- Davina had a love interest, Tim whom she had known since they were younger. 
- Despite the fact that Davina is powerful enough to face off against an Original Vampire, she still does not have full control over her powers.
- When Davina first faced off against Klaus, her powers only affected him slightly, although this might be attributable to her lower level of control over her magic at that time. In Casket Girls episode, Davina was able to break Klaus's neck and subdued Elijah as well by making him choke on his own blood.
- The reason Davina is so powerful is because she was supposed to be sacrificed to enhance the power of ancestral magic, along with three other teenage girls. The others were sacrificed but not her, so she has the power of three other witches and the power to restore ancestral magic.
- Before The Harvest, she was best friends with Monique Deveraux.
- Marcel sees Davina as a fighter and took her in just as Klaus did with him.
- Marcel seems to play the overprotective father role in her life.
- According to Klaus, Davina is quite the actress.
- Rebekah sees herself in Davina as both want to live a normal life.
- Davina's various drawings throughout the season come together to form a picture of Celeste, foreshadowing her resurrection and the completion of the Harvest.
- Davina is the first witch to kill someone with their powers directly, killing Sabine and the other witches hunting her. While Bonnie did cause Jeremy's death at the end of Season Three, it was indirect as it was the byproduct of a spell.
- She is also the first witch to battle another witch in direct magical combat.
- Davina is the 1st main character in The Originals to die.
- It is implied that Davina was revived through Celeste's death as she was the third mention by Marcel to come back.
- Due to the fact that Bonnie Bennett is the anchor to the Other Side and all supernatural creatures passed through her, there's a high possibility that Davina has met Bonnie.
- Davina beholds the Ancestral Element Fire. While Monique beholds Ancestral Element Earth, Abigail beholds Ancestral Element Wind, and Cassie beholds Ancestral Element Water.
- Davina tried to contact Tim's ghost, but she found out that he moved on.
- Davina was able to see Mikael in A Closer Walk With Thee, as he asked her to bring him back to life.
- Davina was the only one who could see Mikael's ghost without being asleep or unconscious.
- Davina resurrected Mikael in From a Cradle to a Grave. Davina was able to accomplish this without injury due to the use of Nexus Vorti and Dark objects.
- Davina plans to release her friends from Klaus' sire line before letting Mikael go after him.
- Her love interest is Kol, but she currently knows him as Kaleb and has no idea of his connection to the Original family or Klaus.
- In Alive and Kicking, Davina mentions that she is an only child, anticipating that she does not know Megan's existence.
- So what will Davina decide to do with Mikael? "Does she want to send Mikael after Klaus?" Narducci wonders. "If Mikael kills Klaus, all of the vampires Klaus sired will die, including Marcel and Josh, so she can't really allow that to happen. She's got to figure out what her next move is. At the same time, everyone wants to know where she is, what she's up to, because not only does she have Mikael, she has the white oak stake. So everyone will be after her for a while. How she responds to that is going to be a big arc for her character, to grow up and take responsibility for her actions."