|“||“You're supposed to be a Harvest girl. Maybe you don't belong here..”||”|
Davina Claire is a young witch and a main character of The Originals. She became the main subject of a power struggle between the witches, vampires and werewolves of New Orleans when, eight months prior to the series, Marcel interrupted The Harvest by keeping the witches from sacrificing her in the ritual after hearing about it from Sophie Deveraux. Because the ritual wasn't completed, Davina had the energy of the three other witches who were sacrificed, as well as that of the ancestors of the witch community flowing through her, which made her extremely powerful. In fact, she had so much power that it was becoming increasingly difficult for her to control it. Furthermore, Marcel used her power to his advantage by making her tell him whenever another witch in the city was practicing magic, so he could prevent them from using their magical powers to find her.
Ironically, Sophie, who initially didn't believe in the Harvest and told Marcel about it, later wanted to kill Davina because she believed that completing the ritual would bring back to life all the four young Witches who were sacrificed, one of whom was her niece, Monique Deveraux.
For most of her life, Davina's personality and actions were mainly defined by her desire to live a normal teenage life without magical powers. In recent times, she had also become distrustful of Marcel after he was forced to side with Klaus, as well as of pretty much everyone else in New Orleans except for her friends Camille and Josh. However, in the end, she regained trust in Marcel and told him that she was glad to have lived the life that she had lived and that she had finally accepted her fate as a witch and realized that dying in The Harvest was the right thing to do. She was supposed to come back to life, however, Celeste, secretly possessing Sabine's body, used the energy from the ritual to bring back to life 3 deceased powerful witches instead of the 4 girls who had been sacrificed. This left everyone thinking that the ritual did not work and Davina, permanently dead. She is resurrected in Le Grand Guignol, after the death of Celeste DuΒois.
Most of Davina's past is unknown so far. She presumably grew up in The Quarter with the rest of the witches and no one in her family has been revealed or mentioned, other than her mother. Davina went to school with a boy named Tim, whom she met at age 10 and he seems to have some sort of history with her. Davina was also best friends with Monique for some time and part of the coven of witches until the day she was one of the four young witches selected for The Harvest.
Upon the day the Harvest was to be completed, she was deceived by the witches of their fates and the events surrounding the sacrifice and witnessed the slaughter of the other selected girls, betrayed by the Elder's and her mother who stood by and witnessed the devastation and slaughter. However when Vampires appeared, effectively ending the sacrifice, Marcel saved her life and for eight months afterwards lived with him in hiding from the witches who wish to complete the sacrifice.
In the Quarter, the witches were banned from using magic and Davina used her magic to track down those who defy this rule, betraying the witches due to her loyalty towards Marcel.
Season Four (Director's Cut)
One of Marcel's daywalkers attends to Davina. She tells him that the witches are being quiet and asks to go outside for air. The daywalker denies her request and infuriated that she can't, she throws the vampire through a window with telekinesis, expressing her anger at constantly being told that "she can't".
The Originals Series
Season OneIn Always and Forever, Davina's experimenting with her powers when Marcel comes and asks her about the witches. She says they haven't used magic as they know she can sense them if they do and voices her concern that the Originals might hurt him. Marcel says she has nothing to worry about as she's stronger than they are.
In House of the Rising Son, 3 months later, Marcel gives Davina Elijah's body. When Marcel says that Rebekah's not been very nice to him, Davina throws her out the window with telekinesis. The next morning, Marcel finds her drawing. She says the Originals shouldn't be here, and Marcel replies that it looks like they're here to stay then asks Davina if she knows how to kill an Original.
In Tangled Up In Blue, Davina tries to stop Sophie's spell and weakens Katie. She is able to save Marcel's life but is weakened as a result. She tries to find out where Sophie is, but isn't able to track where her magic is coming from. When Marcel arrives to thank her, she believes that it was Klaus and Rebekah who tried to kill him, but he replies that Klaus saved him. He tells her he's giving Elijah back to Klaus; but Davina refuses until she finds a way to kill the Originals.
In Girl in New Orleans, Davina is allowed to go to a music festival after she asks Marcel for a night out. He agrees and asks Cami to be with her, while the nightwalkers have to watch her in their post. Davina tells Cami about Tim; and under Klaus' compulsion, she encourages her to talk to him. Following her advice, Davina meets with Tim in the church, where she has taken up living. Klaus then appears and tries using his usual means to get her on his side. Davina unleashes her powers on him, bursting the church's windows, but is no match for the hybrid. Tim gets injured and Davina allows Klaus to feed him blood to heal him. He tells her that she owes him a favor for saving Tim's life and lets her know he'll cash in that favor when the time is right. He leaves and later Davina is up in her room after a brief conversation with Marcel, when she comes face to face with Elijah.
In Sinners and Saints, the episode picks off where Davina is with Elijah. Given the Original's dessicated state, Elijah can barely contain his thirst, as his enhanced hearing causes him to hear the blood pulsing throughout Davina's body, thinning away what self-control he has. Noting this, she tempts him with her blood, which he doesn't take, but he does after Davina deliberately pricked her finger and offered a dribble to Elijah. After a few seconds of hesitation, Elijah obliged and was immediately and completely rejuvenated. He asks her why she's with Marcel; and she tells him about 8 months ago. She was chosen for a harvest, where the witches of the quarter restore their power every 300 years by killing off 4 young witches.
Davina saw her friends brutally killed during it, but she was saved by Marcel. The powers of the other three witches that died were transferred to her; revealing why she is so powerful. Feeling betrayed by her own kind, Davina became an ace to Marcel. She told Elijah she wanted a normal life after the event. Because she got the dead witches' powers that she didn't have control over, he promised her that she could have his mother's Grimoire. During her time with him, Elijah took the time to help repair Tim's violin, which he returns to Davina, stating to her that it can now be returned to its owner.
In Fruit of the Poisoned Tree, Davina gains more control of her magic by performing a spell to unlink Sophie and Hayley. She performs the spell using one of Esther's Spells, which Elijah had given to her. However, Elijah hides the real purpose of the spell, all he tells her is that if she can undo the knot she will be better able to control her magic, and that if she completes the spell, he will give her another page of her choosing. At first, Davina seems to have some difficulty completing the spell of unknotting, but after reading the spell, she understands it more. Davina tries again; and completes the spell of unknotting.
In Bloodletting, after Marcel finds out that Josh has been compelled by Klaus to spy on Marcel, he brings Josh to Davina so she'll undo Klaus's compulsion on him which she does. She tells Josh it will hurt and Josh agrees but then asks how much pain he'll feel, then Davina starts to undo Klaus' compulsion. When trying to undo Klaus' compulsion she sees Josh having a great deal of pain and tells him. "You need to think of something else. Take your mind off it. Do you like music?" But Josh tells her he can't think of music at the moment, because she is giving him like a Voodoo lobotomy. Davina asks him if he likes Jazz, but he tells he listens to club music, Davina tells him she's only sixteen years old so she can't get into clubs.
Josh then tells her that when he was sixteen, he had been in like a hundred clubs and says it's four years ago now and wanted to meet boys. But now things are much more complicated now he wants to meet boys and feed on people and get a daylight ring. Davina tells him that she likes the classics. Puccini, Bach, Mozart. She even took piano, not that it matters while she's stuck here. Josh asks why can't she and Davina says that Marcel's worried that someone could hear. She says It's not his fault, he just wants to keep her safe from a coven of psycho witches wants to sacrifice her in a blood ritual. Josh then respond and says, "Oh! Wow, okay, uhhh...I'm sorry?" Davina tells him not to be. She's going to destroy them all. And once they're gone, everything will go back to normal. And she'll have her old life back. Then after undoing Klaus' compulsion, she tells him he's now free, they have now bonded and Davina really enjoys his company, but is reluctant to erase his memory of her, but ends up not doing it.
In Reigning Pain in New Orleans, since Klaus is now the King again, he has her moved from her attic to a room in Klaus's house with Marcel telling her to trust him. There she learns that Agnes was killed by Elijah and she is reunited with Josh, they have a friendly conversation and he brings her violin to her. She visits Camille to ask for help and undoes Cami's compulsion.
In The Casket Girls, Camille and Davina are on the run. Feeling betrayed by Marcel and refusing to be used by Klaus, Davina searches for a way out. Josh receives a phone call from Klaus that ultimately lures Davina back to The Abattoir. At the Abattoir a confrontation begins between Davina and Klaus. Davina incapacitates Klaus, and Elijah. Rebekah arrives with Josh and incapacitates Marcel. Rebekah attempts to win Davina's trust, but due to Klaus Davina is poisoned. Marcel counters Klaus' plan by having a protection spell placed on Davina. A weakened Davina is carried to her room.
In Après Moi, Le Déluge, Davina is feeling the effects of the incomplete Harvest. Containing the full power of the Harvest she begins to hemorrhage magic. Earth, Wind, Water, and fire threaten to destroy the City. Sophie convinces everyone the only way to save the city is to finish the Harvest. Marcel initially refusing to allow Davina's sacrifice, took her to an unknown location. Rebekah, with Thierry's help, found them and convinced them to complete the ritual. Her throat is later sliced by Sophie to complete the Harvest and she does not come back. She is left to be mourned by who watched it.
Marcel was still mourning the loss of Davina in Dance Back from the Grave.
Davina is resurrected through Celeste's death in Le Grand Guignol.
In Farewell to Storyville, Davina feel uncomfortable after her journey into death. She said that unlike the three other girls who were sacrified during the Harvest, the ancestors hated her because she escape the Harvest and because of her alliance with Marcel and the vampires. They said that they would torment her if she continue to use her magic against the witches. She is completely lost and doesn't know who she can trust. Finally, Marcel returns her to the witches so that Genevieve can lower the Boundary spell on the City of the Dead.
In Moon Over Bourbon Street, Davina is having a tough time fitting back into the witches' society. She can't use her magic because she hasn't been trained by the dead witches and Monique reminds her constantly that she chose to side with the vampires and shouldn't be one of them. She later meets Josh and tells him about it as well that she is regretting Marcel's decision to bring her back to the Coven. At Elijah's party, the werewolf Oliver flirts with her and is about to ask her to dance when Monique comes and steals him from her. Later, she returns to the garden with Josh and he convinces her that what her family thinks doesn't matter, using the story of his first and only boyfriend and his family's reaction to demonstrate it.
He then helps her to make a dead rose from earlier alive again. When Monique returns to the garden, Davina has returned all the garden's roses to life, showing that she once again has control over her magic.
In The Big Uneasy,
Davina is a quiet girl living a very sheltered life. However, the extreme levels of restriction that have been placed upon her, has caused her to be hot tempered, a bad combination with her level of power. Davina seems to be used to getting her way, and when things go awry she is short-tempered. She has faced betrayal from her coven in the past, leading her to seek revenge against them. Marcel has said that Davina has authority issues. She seems to have a rebellious nature, as shown when she sneaks off to meet Tim in Girl in New Orleans. Davina's base personality seems to be that of a sweet girl longing for a normal life, however the events of her life have given her a dark side that she is not afraid to use, if the situation calls for it. She also has a manipulative side, as she tricked Marcel into keeping her at the church, so she could have a secret meeting with Elijah. Davina used to play the piano and enjoys listening to classical music such as Bach.
After being ressurected, she is scared and skittish not talking much. She is frightened, and doesn't want to use her magic. Marcel planned on using her once she was brought back to life, which hurt her a bit and makes her upset.
Powers and Abilites
- Channeling: The act of channeling or drawing other forms of energy and power by focusing on celestial events.
- Conjuration: The act of calling, commanding, or summoning an element, object, person, or spirit already in existence.
- Elemental Control: The act of controlling and manipulating the elements of air, earth, fire, water, and weather.
- Mind Control: The act of controlling and manipulating the minds of humans. (Similar to Compulsion)
- Mind Stunning: The act of bemusing and rendering someone unconscious.
- Pain Infliction: The act of creating and inflicting excruciating pain upon another person, especially vampires.
- Precognition: The act of foreseeing future events and happenings.
- Spell Casting: The act of changing and controlling events by magical influence.
- Telekinesis: The act of controlling and manipulating the movements of objects and persons.
- Witches Brew: The act of brewing and concocting supernatural elixirs and potions that contain mystical properties.
- Special Psychic Gift: Davina has the special gift of being able to sense when someone is using magic.
Weakness and Vulnerabilites
- Fear: A distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the condition or feeling of being afraid could cause a witch to temporarily lose their powers.
- Overuse Of Magic: The excessive use of magic could lead a witch to death from over-exertion.
Davina is a beautiful young woman in her late teens. She appears to have dark brown hair, the length was past her shoulders and is usually worn down in loose waves, although occasionally has it pulled up.
She possesses blue-green eyes with darkened eye lashes, rosy cheeks, full lips and a light tan skin. Davina had a small frame standing at approximately 5'3" with a slim body type. She is usually seen wearing white or pale colored dresses with some type of distinct pattern, although as the season progresses, has begun to wear darker shades such as grey and black. It can be noted that she is rarely seen wearing shoes. She was also absent of jewelry and wears minimal makeup.
- Main article: Marcel and Davina
Davina met Marcel when he saved her from nearly being killed in The Harvest. Ever since then he has been protecting her from the witches who wish to complete the ritual. Davina trusted and even loved Marcel yet that trust was broken when Marcel didn't tell her that the last remaining elder and the last thing posing a threat to her, Agnes was dead. Davina believes that Marcel didn not tell her that because he just wants her power and is using her. After Davina escapes due to Marcel's betrayal, she eventually returns after Tim's life is in danger, the two are reunited. Marcel tells her he cares for her and took her in as his own, although their relationship is far from being repaired. Marcel was protecting Davina from being sacrificed in Apres Moi, Le Deluge but due to everything that was happening, Davina decided that she was ready.
- Main article: Davina and Josh
Josh and Davina are best friends. They first met when Marcel found about Klaus compelling him to spy on Marcel, and Marcel to Davina to erase his cumpolsion. The two bonded, and became good friends after that. She was supposed to erase his memory of her but she didn't. After that they secretly met and talked, and soon became good friends. He is currently her best friend, and he would do anything to help her.
- Klaus and Davina (Enemies)
- Elijah and Davina (Allies/Mutual Understanding)
- Rebekah and Davina (Allies)
- Davina and Camille (Friends)
- Davina and Monique (Former Best Friends/Enemies)
- Davina is a feminine name which is pronounced dah-VEE-nah. It is of Scottish and Hebrew origin, and the meaning is "beloved". It is a form of the name Davida and the feminine form of the masculine name David.
- Claire is a French name and it means "illustrious".
- Davina wasn't present in Pilot episode but she did make a cameo appearance in the director's cut.
- Marcel claims that Davina is more powerful than the Originals. This was recently proven without a shadow of a doubt in the episode The Casket Girls, where Davina not only overpowered and knocked out 2 Originals (Klaus and Elijah), but was even able to force Klaus to almost transform into his wolf state (despite the fact that hybrids can control when they transform).
- Davina is powerful enough to fight an Original with her telekinesis, as well as being able to erase memories from Rebekah on where she lives.
- Davina refers to the Mikaelson Family as The Old Ones.
- Davina Claire and the actress who plays her - Danielle Campbell - share the same initials DC.
- Davina had a love interest, Tim whom she had known since they were younger. 
- Despite the fact that Davina is powerful enough to face off against an Original Vampire, she still does not have full control over her powers.
- When Davina first faced off against Klaus, her powers only affected him slightly, although this might be attributable to her lower level of control over her magic at that time. In the more recent Casket Girls episode, Davina was able to break Klaus's neck and subdued Elijah as well by making him choke on his own blood.
- The reason Davina is so powerful is because she was supposed to be sacrificed to enhance the power of ancestral magic, along with three other teenage girls. The others were sacrificed but not her, so she has the power of three other witches and the power to restore ancestral magic.
- Before The Harvest, she was best friends with Monique Deveraux.
- Marcel sees Davina as a fighter and took her in just as Klaus did with him.
- Marcel seems to play the overprotective father role in her life.
- According to Klaus, Davina is quite the actress.
- Rebekah sees herself in Davina.
- Like Klaus, Davina enjoys painting.
- Like Rebekah, Davina wants to live a normal life.
- Davina's various drawings throughout the season come together to form a picture of Celeste, possibly foreshadowing her resurrection and the completion of the Harvest.
- Davina is the first witch to kill someone with their powers directly, killing Sabine and the other witches hunting her. While Bonnie did cause Jeremy's death at the end of Season Three, it was indirect as it was the byproduct of a spell.
- She is also the first witch to battle another witch in direct magical combat.
- Davina is the 1st main character in The Originals to die.
- It is implied that Davina was revived through Celeste's death as she was the third mention by Marcel to come back.
- Due to the fact that Bonnie Bennett is the anchor to the Other Side and all supernatural creatures passed through her, there's a possibility that Davina has met Bonnie.
- Davina beholds the Ancestral Element Fire. While Monique beholds Ancestral Element Earth, Abigail beholds Ancestral Element Wind, and Cassie beholds Ancestral Element Water.