|“|| Darren: An hour's drive to hear that crap. You know, it wasn't even a band. A guy with a guitar. An hour each way.
Brooke: He wasn't that bad.
Darren: He sounded like James Blunt.
Brooke: What's wrong with that?
Darren: We already have a James Blunt. One's all we need.
— Darren and Brooke in Pilot
Darren Malloy and Brooke Fenton were the first humans to appear on The Vampire Diaries television series, and were also the first characters to be killed on the series. They were both killed by Damon Salvatore, who used his ability to control fog to make it too difficult to see on the back roads of Mystic Falls. Once they got out of their car, thinking they had run someone over, he attacked them and fed on them until they both died. The two were never mentioned again after the Pilot.
Brooke Fenton and Darren Malloy were driving home together from a concert late at night when they drove into a dense fog. Darren was having difficulty seeing while he was driving and accidentally hit something. Horrified, Darren stopped and left the car to find out what it was he hit in case he had hit a person, and instructed Brooke to call for help. However, it ended up being revealed that he hit Damon Salvatore, who is a vampire and who was not seriously injured by the impact. When Darren went to look for his body, Damon caught him off-guard and attacked him to feed on his blood. Inside the car, Brooke was unable to call for help due to a lack of cell service in the area, and she got out of the car to check on Darren. While she was calling out for him, Damon dropped Darren's body on the hood of the car which terrified Brooke so badly that she ran away. This was ultimately a futile move, however, as Damon quickly and easily caught up with her and attacked her as well.
The next day, Darren and Brooke's deaths were reported on the local television news station and in the local newspaper. Afterward, the two were never brought up again.
- Brooke is of Old English and Old German origin, and the meaning is "water, small stream."  Fenton comes from a surname that was originally taken from a place name meaning "marsh town" in Old English. 
- Darren is of Irish and Gaelic origin, and the meaning is uncertain, but there is some speculation that it originated from an anglicization of the Irish first name "Darragh" or "Dáire", meaning "oak tree".  Malloy is an Irish surname and means "noble chief". 
- A Darker Truth (Part 3) (Archive Footage)
- Pilot (Deaths)
- They were not only the first victims to appear in the series, they were also the first victims to be killed by Damon Salvatore on-screen.
- During their car trip, Darren complained that the man performing at the concert they went to sounded like James Blunt, a well-known English singer-songwriter.