|“|| Matt: Well, you did just save my father and pretty much the entire town, so... that counts for something in my book.
Damon: Does that mean we're good?
Matt: Not by a long shot. But you keep earning it the way you did tonight, I'm not ruling anything out.
The relationship between the cured vampire Damon Salvatore and the human Matt Donovan started in Season One. Matt hated Damon at first because Damon turned his sister into a vampire. However, over the years have developed a tentative alliance as fellow members of the Mystic Falls Gang, albeit an antagonistic one. Damon always jokingly blames Matt for everything bad that happens, and Matt often seriously blames everything bad that happens on Damon.
They are referred to by the fans as "Datt" or "Mamon".
Throughout The Vampire Diaries Series
- Matt and Damon have been on and off enemies/allies for most of the series.
- Damon killed and turned his older sister Vicki Donovan into a vampire.
- Damon blamed him for Elena Gilbert's transition into a vampire.
- They both had siblings who have died (and came back).
- Both of them have died at least three times.
- Damon killed him once.
- Both Damon and Matt have had romantic history with two doppelgängers from the Petrova family.
- Both Damon and Matt have dated and slept with Elena Gilbert.
- Both Damon and Matt have been flirty with Katerina Petrova (aka Katherine Pierce). However, Damon dated and slept with Katherine nearly a century ago. However, Katherine has only flirted, held a romantic attraction towards, and had nothing serious with Matt.