|“||I'm sorry. You blame me for who you are, and I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I turned you. I'm sorry that you didn't get to die as a forgotten nobody on a bloody battlefield and that your father didn't get to live another day to be disgraced by you. Damon, I'm sorry that I gave your life purpose, passion, drive, desire. I'm sorry that you are who you are, because I'm the one who taught you how to love.||”|
The relationship between cured vampire/human Damon Salvatore and cured vampire/witch doppelgänger Katherine Pierce has been complicated since their meeting in 1864, when Katherine stayed in their estate and Damon was serving in the Confederate army. Damon fell deeply in love with Katherine, but unbeknownst to him, she'd also been seeing his brother Stefan, sparking the brothers' lifelong rivalry. Their relationship ended when the town began eradicating the vampires. She was then taken away, and Damon and Stefan were shot by their own father while in an attempt to save her, causing the latters' turning into vampires. Damon since then, has spent the following 145 years obsessed with freeing her from her tomb, only to find out that she was never in it in the first place.
Katherine returns to his life in The Return. Damon initially acts flippant towards her, however she seduces him before telling him that she never loved him. Throughout the following seasons, Damon's feelings for Katherine have dwindled while Katherine still attempts to seduce him from time to time. It is later revealed that Katherine had in fact loved him and his brother, but would ultimately choose her own safety over them. Damon continued to resent her until Stefan expelled her soul from Elena's body.
They are known as "Datherine" and "Kamon" by fans.
Katherine and Damon's first scene together in Season One was when Damon and Katherine were in bed together in Children of the Damned. Katherine told Damon, "Stop it!" while laughing, and he then said, "Make me". Katherine turned around and showed her vampire face and growled. Katherine's maid Emily then walked in on the two, and told Katherine that her friend Pearl wanted to see her. Katherine told Damon that the "fun was over" then he says "Mmm, no". Then Katherine kissed him. Katherine dressed in a corset and talked with Pearl outside about the townspeople hunting for vampires. After Katherine is exposed in Blood Brothers, Damon becomes desperate to rescue her.
He hits the man holding the key to the vampire wagon over the head, grabbing the key out of the man's pocket and opening the wagon which imprisoned Katherine. He and Stefan took her out, and removed her muzzle. They try to remove the ropes which hold Katherine, but Damon gets shot. Stefan abandons Katherine and rushes over to Damon. He picks up a gun but is shot as well. The two brothers die, and Katherine doesn't care whether or not she ever sees Damon again, but says to Stefan that she loves him and promises that they will be together again, just before he dies.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries
- While Damon claimed many times that his love for Katherine was real, it's unclear if it is true based on two main examples:
- The fact that while Damon declared Katherine never compelled him, it proved to be false in a flashback.
- Damon may have had a Sire Bond to her, which would explain his loyalty to her years after they departed. It could have been broken when he turned his humanity off during the 1970's. Julie Plec has said outright that Damon was not sired to Katherine, his devotion was simply love.
- Katherine twice admitted that she loved both the Salvatore brothers:
- The relationship between Damon and Katherine is actually the most tragic and most complicated relationship. From love to hate just in one second. Also, Katherine once said "Love, hate, such a fine line" referring to Stefan but actually it was more like her and Damon.