|“||You know, I never had a brother. Uh, Damon was the closest thing. And I have to believe that if you have gotten him back before, there has got to be a way to do it again.||”|
The relationship between the cured vampire Damon Salvatore and the former Enhanced Original Vampire-turned-human Alaric Saltzman. Their relationship started out antagonistic towards each other since Alaric knew that it had been Damon who had killed his wife, but it later turned out that she wasn't dead and that she had, in fact, been turned into a vampire by Damon. From that point on, they have been much closer as they often team up to fight the usual threats towards Mystic Falls. Alaric is the only one (other than Elena) to call Damon a friend.
It is shown that Alaric is Damon's best friend as they are seen often drinking together; it's often seen that they do taunt each other as well though. Towards the end of season 3, Alaric was turned into an Enhanced Original Vampire by Esther and fed on Bonnie to complete his transition, also taking the White Oak Stake from Bonnie. Alaric died in Damon's arms in The Departed, moments after Elena's death causing Damon to break down having lost his first real best friend since him and Stefan became vampires, and the love of his life at the same time (after Alaric was turned into an Original, his life was linked to Elena's so, when she died, he died too). Damon is still grieving his death. When the Other Side began to collapse in the Season Five finale, Damon gave up his life to save his friends who were stuck on the Other Side, including Alaric.
Their bromance is known as "Dalaric".
Throughout The Vampire Diaries Series
- The actors Ian Somerhalder and Matt Davis, who play Damon and Alaric, are best friends in real life.
- Alaric so far is the only one beside Elena, Enzo and Bonnie to call Damon a friend.
- They were both abandoned by the women that they loved.
- Both seem to have a lot in common with hunting down the women they love Damon-Katherine and Alaric-Isobel.
- Damon and Alaric's friendship is extremely strong as shown in the episode The Hybrid when Damon calls Alaric "brother".
- Stefan acknowledged the strong friendship between Damon and Alaric when he calls Alaric his 'best friend' in 1912.
- Damon was the only person to kill Alaric more than once.
- Damon and Alaric both shared their seemingly last moments with each other and offered each other a drink on both occasions. Damon in As I Lay Dying, and Alaric in Do Not Go Gentle.
- Interestingly, both ended up surviving when they thought they were going to die, and both were saved by a member of the Mikaelson Family. Damon was saved by Klaus, and Alaric was saved by Esther.
- They both loved vampires even though Alaric thought his wife was dead
- On April 1, 2012, TV Fanatic announced that CW had greenlit a spinoff series featuring Damon and Alaric leaving town to start a detective agency together, but this was revealed to be an April Fools joke.
- They were the last people to see each other before they died.
- Damon was the last person to be with Alaric as he was dying when Alaric was refusing to go through the transition of being a vampire.
- Damon also was the last person to see Alaric before he died through Elena's death.
- Alaric (the last person to escape TOS) was the last person see Damon before escaping the Other Side.
- As Alaric appears as a ghost in Season 4, it shows that he will always watch over Damon.
- They’re drinking buddies who regularly meet at the Mystic Grill bar to toss back drinks and share their woes.
- Together they stormed a boarding house full of bitter 19th century vamps and took them all down.
- The werewolves “kill” Alaric in Crying Wolf, Damon hurriedly checks to make sure that his buddy’s wearing his magical ring and sighs with relief when he spots it on Alaric’s finger.
- Whenever Damon throws a dinner party, Alaric is always the first one on the guest-list. Just like any two rambunctious lads, they bond over good food, jokes, and the attempted killing of an Original.
- This is one of the most popular friendships in the show.
- Damon was worried about Alaric’s safety, as the Other Side was collapsing and gave up his life to save everyone there including Alaric.
- Damon was Alaric's best man during his wedding to Jo Laughlin.