|“||Miranda and Grayson were your parents, Elena. And I know I'm nothing to you. You have no reason to believe me or trust me. I've done so many horrible things. But when you lost your parents, I lost my brother. My family. I lost my way. And I'm probably never going to make things right for you, I know that but I'm going to do everything I can to protect you and protect this family.||”|
CHOOSING SIDES — John Gilbert’s return to Mystic Falls comes as an unhappy surprise to Elena, Jenna and Damon. Caroline lets Stefan know about her conversation with Tyler, and Stefan does his best to reach out to a confused and conflicted Tyler. Jeremy comforts Bonnie after her disturbing conversation with Jonas. When Jules takes a hostage, the situation quickly escalates into a violent confrontation.
- Antagonist: Jules.
- Parts of this episode were filmed on Ian Somerhalder's birthday.
- This is the fifth episode to include all the main characters. The previous four episodes are Plan B, Masquerade, The Sacrifice and By the Light of the Moon.
- This episode marks a great change in Tyler's character.
- Caroline recovers from a gunshot wound to the head. This is the first time we see that vampires can regenerate brain tissue.
- Jenna finally learns that John is Elena's biological father in this episode.
- This is the first episode where Jonas appears without Luka.
- This is the first episode where Werewolves are seen in a pack.
- This is the first episode this season featuring Elena, Bonnie and Caroline hanging out together as friends, something that hasn't been shown since Season 1.
- Near the end of the episode, Elena closes the fridge and John appears behind it, scaring her. A similar scene to this occurred in Founder's Day, when John closed the fridge and Katherine appeared behind, scaring him.
- Jules meets Caroline and talks to Stefan (through Tyler's cell phone) for the first time in this episode.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Two members of Jules' Pack - Heart Extraction; killed by Damon and Stefan
- Two members of Jules' Pack - Snapped Neck and Staked into the Neck; killed by Stefan
- The expression Daddy Issues refers to when a woman has a dysfunctional relationship with her father, or when the father was absent during a woman's childhood. This episode, Elena has to deal with her relationship with John, whom she has always hated, but who she only recently learned is her biological father.
- Daddy Issues is the name of a song by Lana Del Rey.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 3.20 million viewers in USA, which was 0.26 million less than the previous episode.
- Damon: "You brought back John Gilbert? That was your big save-Elena-move?"
- Stefan: "I went to go look for Isobel, and I got John instead. He said he could help us, and we're desperate..."
- Damon: "We're not that desperate, Stefan! That guy tried to barbecue me!"
- Elena: "What are we gonna do?"
- Damon: "Kill him."
- Elena: "Damon..."
- Damon: "I'm joking. Okay, I'm a little serious."
- Damon: "You need to stop doing that."
- Elena: "Doing what?"
- Damon: "Assuming that I'll play the good guy, because it's you who's asking."
- Andie: "Why do you kill people?"
- Damon: "Because I like it. It's in my nature to. It's who I am. But then, I have to stay together to protect her, and she wants me to be the better man, which means I can't be who I am. Do you see the problem I'm having, Andie?"
- Jenna: "So, Elena is my sister's husband's brother's daughter, and her mother is my boyfriend's deceased wife. You can't make that stuff up."
- Elena: "You may be my father, but I am never gonna be your daughter."
- John (to Elena): "Miranda and Grayson were your parents, Elena. And I know I’m nothing to you. You have no reason to believe me or trust me. I’ve done so many horrible things, but when you lost your parents, I lost my brother, my family. I lost my way. And I’m probably never going to make things right for you, I know that. But I’m going to do everything I can to protect you, and protect this family."
- Jules: "I want you to understand that a vampire will never be your friend. It’s our nature to be enemies."
- Tyler: "You know how stupid that sounds?"