|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 2, Episode 14|
|Air date||February 10th 2011|
|Written by||Brian Young|
|Directed by||David von Ancken|
|Episode Guide Transcript|
The Dinner Party
SECRETS AND LIES - Stefan and Elena get away for what they hope will be a romantic weekend at the Gilbert family lake house, not realizing that they’ve been followed. Jenna starts to worry that Alaric isn’t being honest with her. Jules explains the importance of the sun and moon curse to Tyler, but leaves out an important detail. Damon attends a tea at the Historical Society in order to talk to Elijah, but Elijah isn’t giving up any secrets. With help from Caroline and Jeremy, Bonnie uses deceptive measures to get shocking new information out of Luka. Finally Tyler offers Matt some relationship advice.
|The episode starts with Brady burning the bodies of his friends who died last night. Stevie comes suddenly to tell Jules that he suspects that Mason was working with vampires when he saw him and Katherine (Kathy) in Florida. They decide to kill every vampire in town to prevent them from breaking the curse. In Caroline's house, Elena, Bonnie and Caroline are sleeping. Then Stefan calls Elena. She tells him that since her dad is in town, she wants to go as far away as possible. In the Salvatore Boarding House, Andie is about to leave.Damon compels her not to reveal any of his secrets. As she leaves, Alaric arrives. Alaric asks Damon not to kill Elijah or Andie.
At the Grill, Caroline and Bonnie talk about the plan to take down Luka. Matt passes by, but Caroline just waves to him. Tyler goes into the woods to Brady's trailer. Stevie, Brady and Jules ask him to help them to find the moonstone. They explain to him about the moonstone and the sun and the moon curse, but don't mention that Elena has to die in order to break it. Tyler wants to help because he doesn't want to turn into a wolf. Breaking the curse will allow him to turn when he wants. In the Grill, Caroline tries to talk with Matt. He tells her that he knows that she wasn't with Bonnie the night before because Bonnie was at the Grill. Then he leaves, but Tyler arrives.
- Antagonist: Jules
- First episode to feature Bonnie and Jeremy kiss.
- Last episode filmed before the cast and crew's holiday break.
- Nina Dobrev had to kiss Paul Wesley's stunt double, coincidentally named John Gilbert, because Paul hurt his ankle some days before when he was in LA, so he was on crutches and he couldn't lift Nina with her legs around his waist in their scene at the lake house.
- Katherine does not appear in this episode.
- Tyler leaves Mystic Falls with Jules at the end of the episode. He returns in the episode The Last Day.
- Damon mocks Elijah's alias "Smith" which is ironic since in the books he used the same alias when he first arrived in Fell's Church.
- Damon mentions that being tortured for the location of the moonstone ironic. He says someone will torture him, he won't talk, and someone will lose a heart. This mirrors the events in Plan B when Damon ripped out Mason Lockwood's heart. Damon was right: he was tortured, didn't say anything and 3 werewolves lost their hearts, thanks to Elijah.
- In this episode, Elena and Tyler talk for the second time in the entire series.
- The first was in Season 1, Episode 4, (Family Ties). They have known each other their whole lives though, so they most likely talked from time to time at some point before the pilot or between episodes.
- This is the first time Elijah is shown killing werewolves, but the second time he is shown murdering two people at the same time. He killed two vampires at the same time by ripping their hearts out in The Sacrifice.
- This episode features the third torture scene in the second season, apart from when Caroline was tortured by Brady (Daddy Issues) and Mason was tortured by Damon.
- All the remaining werewolves are killed, except for Jules and Tyler.
- This episode had 2.793 viewers in the USA.
- This episode marks the end of the second chapter, The Werewolf Chapter.
- Elena plays an April Fools' joke on Stefan by saying only John can invite him in, although the episode takes place on April 2nd.
- The expression "Cry Wolf" means to raise a false alarm.
- The documentary "Crying Wolf" is about the reintroduction of Wolves to Yellowstone park, and the controversy surrounding this issue. In this episode, a werewolf pack was "reintroduced" to Mystic Falls, where they have been thought extinct for generations.
- "Action News" is a local television broadcast format in the United States. It was developed in the 70s, and has a tight format that often limits the time exposure of each reporter, making it more dynamic. Its innovations have been assimilated to most newscasts nowadays - which makes Alaric's comment "It's not called Action News anymore" even funnier.
- The expression "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts" means, beware of your enemies when they are being nice. It refers to the Trojan Horse, the trick that the Greeks used to infiltrate the Trojan defenses. Bonnie's coffee gift to Luka was also a trick to infiltrate his mind.
- Bonnie: "Overnight, you turned into this hot guy, who's really sweet and..."
- Jeremy: "You think I'm hot?"
- Alaric: "Yeah, Elijah’s one scary dude. But with nice hair."
- Elijah: "You realize this is the third time I've saved your life now?"
- Stefan: "No, what you’re doing is you’re being a martyr."
- Elena: "How is that any different when you say that you would die to keep me safe?"
- Stefan: "Because I’ve already lived—162 years, and you’ve barely begun. Now you want to get yourself killed? That’s not heroic. It’s tragic."