WHEN TRAGEDY STRIKES TOO CLOSE TO HOME — Spiraling down a dangerous path of self-destruction, Damon's latest actions prove he may be beyond the point of return. Unwilling to give up on his brother, Stefan is forced to make a gut-wrenching decision that threatens to change their relationship forever. Elsewhere, Bonnie gets advice from Caroline on how to break through to Enzo, while Matt attempts to decipher a mysterious box of messages that he's received. Finally, after tragedy strikes close to home, Stefan and the others are forced to remember what matters most to them. Alaric also appears.
Special Guest Star
- Antagonists: Damon Salvatore and Seline.
- This episode marks the 50th appearance of Enzo St. John on the show.
- He was last seen in You Decided That I Was Worth Saving.
- It also marks the 90th appearance of Tyler on he show.
- He was killed by Damon in You Decided That I Was Worth Saving.
- This is the first episode of the season that an actual spell has been used.
- Carnival was an event in the second season episode - Brave New World.
- Caroline mentioned Tyler. He was killed in An Eternity of Misery.
- Georgie was mentioned. She was last seen in An Eternity of Misery.
- Virginia St. John was mentioned. She was last seen in Hello, Brother.
- Dalton St. John was mentioned. He was seen in flashback in Kill 'Em All.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Enzo's Safehouse
- Grove Hill, Virginia
Behind the Scenes
- "Coming home was a mistake" is a line of dialogue from Stefan to Elena in Season One's History Repeating.
- Stefan says "Hello, Brother" to Damon, this was the first line of dialogue said by Damon in Pilot and the title of season eight's premiere.
- Hashtag during the airing is #CarnivalBlues
- The Breakfast Club - 1985 coming-of-age comedy-drama.