|“||She really just wants to be liked, she wants people to want to be around her and then she puts up the tough act and pretend she don't care. But she does. She's just a girl, you know.||”|
— Claire about Rebekah
Claire Rhiannon Kaplan (known professionally as Claire Holt) (born June 11, 1988) portrays the role of Rebekah Mikaelson in The Vampire Diaries and The Originals. Her most notable roles are Samara in Pretty Little Liars, Chastity Meyer in Mean Girls 2 and Emma Gilbert in H2O: Just Add Water.
Claire was born in Brisbane, Australia. She graduated from Stuartholme School in Toowong at the end of 2005. She is involved in several sports: swimming, volleyball, water polo, and Tae-Kwon-Do, in which she has a black belt. When she was younger, she was in her school's choir.
In April 2016, she married her long-time boyfriend Matt Kaplan.
In 2006, she won the role of Emma Gilbert in the Network Ten children's television series H2O: Just Add Water. The show has earned a Logie Award and Nickelodeon Australia Kids' Choice Award. While the series was renewed for a third series, she left the show after series two, after signing on for the sequel to the 2007 film The Messengers, titled Messengers 2: The Scarecrow. Filming took place in Sofia, Bulgaria throughout 2008. Starring alongside Norman Reedus and Heather Stephens, the film was released 21 July 2009 straight-to-DVD. In August 2011, she was confirmed to be in the TV series The Vampire Diaries as Rebekah Mikaelson. In addition to television and film roles, she has appeared in advertisements for Dreamworld theme park, Sizzler Restaurant, and Queensland Surf Lifesaving. BuddyTV ranked her #55 on its TV's 100 Sexiest Women of 2011 list.
- Following her appearance in the March 11 (of 2014) episode of The Originals, it was announced that Claire would no longer be a series regular on the series, due to her decision to depart from the series in order for her to focus more on her personal life. However, since then she's occasionally appeared as a guest star thoughout the seasons.
- Claire Holt worked on Pretty Little Liars, she plays a character called Samara Cook, which was the show Torrey DeVitto, who plays Meredith, starred in. Bianca Lawson (Emily Bennett), Sterling Sulieman (Harper), Nathaniel Buzolic (Kol Mikaelson) and Rebecca Breeds (Aurora de Martel) played characters in that show, too.
- Claire Holt and Phoebe Tonkin are real life best friends and portrayed mermaids on a TV show together back in 2006 that was called H2O: Just Add Water.
- Claire was cast in TVD after she auditioned for the now-ended drama The Secret Circle. Ironically, the show (which was produced by Kevin Williamson, who also worked on The Vampire Diaries), went on to star Claire's friend and eventual TVD castmate Phoebe Tonkin.
- Her character Rebekah's nemesis is named Elena Gilbert, but ironically on her previous show, H2O: Just Add Water, her character's name was Emma Gilbert.
- Interesting to note, Phoebe Tonkin's character on The Secret Circle is a witch while Rebekah could possibly have been one, too, before she was turned into a vampire, since her mother was a witch.
- She is very good in sports, and is a black belt in Tae Kwon Do.
- Claire Holt is a proud supporter of her country's rugby team, the Qantas Wallabies, but has not publicly spoken of her favorite player.
- Both Claire and Phoebe made their debuts on The Vampire Diaries in the third episode of a season, Claire in The End of the Affair in the third season, and Phoebe in The Rager of the fourth season. From then on, they both played recurring characters until being cast as regulars on The Originals.
- Claire Holt previously worked with Maiara Walsh, who portrayed Sarah, on Mean Girls 2.
- Claire admitted that when Phoebe told her she was coming to Atlanta, she had never shrieked so loud in her life.
- Claire Holt's doppelgänger is Gracie Dzienny, who is on a Nick TV Show just as Claire was when her career started.
- She is 5 feet, 6½ inches in height.
- She enjoys singing, and was once part of her school choir.
- Claire Holt also enjoys playing the guitar and the piano.
- Claire Holt got engaged to her longtime boyfriend on July 14, 2015.
- Claire announced on April 29, 2016 that she married Matt Kaplan.