Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Every character on The Vampire Diaries and The Originals speaks some form or variant of a language.The predominant language spoken on the original broadcasts of the show is American English, though variants of this language, as well as entirely different languages are used, often with English subtitles.
Most of the characters speak English.
Many characters have distinctive accents when speaking English, showing their countries of origin.
While most of the characters speak English with an American accent, some have distinctive accents, showing their countries of origin.
- Galen Vaughn is shown to have a Scottish accent.
- Lorenzo speaks with a British accent.
- Mikaelson Family also speak with a British accent.
- Katerina Petrova's mother tongue is Bulgarian.
- Klaus also speaks Bulgarian, as seen in "Know Thy Enemy".
- It is the language used by most witches for various spells. The language is similar to Latin. Kat Graham calls it "the Plecan". She says that it is actually a mix of Latin and some words that look like real words.
- The French Quarter witches, as well as most of the New Orleans witches, use this language for their spells and rituals.
- Isobel Flemming speaks French. ("Isobel (episode)").
- The Travelers use this language for their spells and rituals.
- Main article: Runes
The Aramaic language was spoken dating back to Biblical times (3rd millennium BC to 1st millennium AD), but due to the complexity of the Aramaic language, there are few people who have the knowledge of the language necessary to translate text or words, depending on the intention.
Aramaic script was widely adopted for other languages, and is ancestral to both the Arabic and modern Hebrew alphabets.