A NEW DANGER — Jeremy is furious when Klaus tries to control him by putting Matt’s life in danger. Damon coaches Jeremy as he prepares to take on Klaus’ new vampires, but they find that Kol has beaten them to it. Kol makes it clear that he will stop at nothing to convince everyone to give up the search for The Cure. Looking for a new ally, Rebekah reminds Stefan that they were once close friends. When Sheriff Forbes and Mayor Hopkins question Shane about his involvement in the Founders’ Council deaths, Bonnie steps in with questions of her own, and Shane’s responses push Bonnie to the edge of her powers. Elena negotiates with Klaus to keep Jeremy safe, but when danger suddenly appears from a totally unexpected enemy, Elena comes up with her own daring plan for Jeremy.
|Jeremy refuses to kill the newly turned vampires, so Klaus retorts by threatening to compel them to attack Matt. They quickly leave and Damon stays behind to hold off some while Matt and Jeremy run back to the lake house. Matt is nearly hurt until Elena intervenes (having come to see Damon). They manage to make it to the house with the vampires surrounding the house. When day comes, Elena scolds Damon for using innocent people, though he calms her enough to allow him to take Jeremy to the vampires back at the bar. Matt is unhappy with this and points out Elena would never have agreed if she were un-sired to Damon.
Rebekah visits Stefan and reveals her plan is to steal Silas's headstone so Shane will be forced to join forces with her, since they are at a severe disadvantage with everyone else. Shane, having a session with Bonnie, is arrested by Sheriff Forbes on account of Rudy's order. Bonnie confronts her father, who reveals Shane is responsible for the Town Council's deaths, though she does not believe him. However, when she tells Shane her father's suspicion, he confirms it to be true.
Damon and Jeremy arrive in the bar to find all the vampires have been killed by Kol. Kol had killed a cult that worshiped Silas a few hundred years ago, so he does not want Silas to awaken. To prevent Jeremy from finding The Cure, he decides to severely maim Jeremy by ripping off his arm (as killing him would trigger the Hunter's Curse), but Damon holds him off while Jeremy runs away. He informs Elena and Matt of Kol's attack. Elena goes to Klaus and begs him to call Kol off, which he does. Kol agrees to not touch Jeremy, but works around it by compelling a captured Damon to kill him instead.
In Shane's study, Rebekah and Stefan look for the headstone but get distracted talking about their old friendly relationship. She points out that while Stefan could be unhinged in his ripper persona, he still cared. A man walks into Shane's study and gets cornered by Rebekah. They torture him for information, but he spits out his tongue and kills himself before they get anything.
At the Grill, Elena meets with Jeremy and Damon arrives. When he sees Jeremy he goes after him. Realizing what's happening, he warns Elena before compulsively going after Jeremy into the caves under the Grill. Elena calls Stefan for help, though Rebekah answers. Stefan seems unwilling. Rebekah goes home to find Kol arrives and considers daggering him to end the compulsion, but he retorts by threatening to kill her with the White Oak Stake. Klaus arrives and Kol runs away, Rebekah nearly rendered flabbergasted by his coldness.
Shane angers Bonnie when he tells her she may be able to see her grandmother again with the help of Silas, and she briefly loses control of her powers until her father intervenes. Shane warns Rudy that Bonnie is a danger to herself and everyone around her. Rudy tells this to Bonnie, who denies it is true, though it only convinces Rudy more.
Jeremy manages to shoot Damon in the head to give himself a head start, but Damon soon catches up with him in the woods. Elena appears and begs Damon to ignore Kol's compulsion with his love of Elena, but it is futile; he nearly attacks Jeremy but Stefan arrives and subdues him. Elena is amazed to see Stefan. Damon is locked in the basement until the issue is solved. Stefan refuses to allow Elena to see him for fear she will let Damon out because of her Sire bond. Elena assumes he is still hurt, but he claims that he is no longer in love with her, leaving her visibly affected. Stefan goes to Rebekah and claims he is over Elena, leading to them having sex.
Klaus shows up to the Gilbert house for Jeremy, intending to take him with him for protection, but they refuse it. Jeremy admits he is not sure he can kill people for the cure, giving Elena an idea: when an Original dies, everyone they have turned, and everyone turned by them dies. Damon's compulsion ends if Kol dies, so Elena decides Jeremy will kill Kol.
- Antagonist: Kol Mikaelson and Atticus Shane.
- Caroline and Tyler do not appear in this episode.
- Elena, who is seeking to both protect herself and her loved ones, breaks Damon's compulsion, and finds The Cure at the same time, suggests that Jeremy kill Kol to finish his Hunter's Mark and stop Damon from being compelled to kill him.
- Damon, not wanting to kill Jeremy as a result of Kol's compulsion, begs Jeremy to shoot him in the heart with a wooden bullet, but Jeremy is unable to go through with it and instead shoots him non-fatally in the head.
- Klaus first compelled the bar full of vampires in the previous episode, After School Special.
- Kol mentions how he and Jeremy were friends in Denver. This was first seen in Heart of Darkness, though Kol had only pretended to be Jeremy's friend at Klaus' insistence.
- Kol states how Elijah has not shown his face since his departure, as he is disgusted by his family's bickering. Elijah has not been seen since the Season Three finale, The Departed but he had been seen in The Five in flashbacks.
- Klaus tells Elena that Kol feels a certain dislike toward Damon. This can most likely be attributed to their past encounters, when Damon broke Kol's neck in Dangerous Liaisons and stabbed Kol with a baseball bat in Heart of Darkness.
- There was also a hint that Kol had met Damon before, when they first met in Dangerous Liaisons. This could be an abandoned thread, or it could be explored in flashbacks in the new series.
- Kol reminds the audience that if he kills Jeremy, he will suffer the Hunter's Curse and will be tormented by Jeremy's ghost until he kills himself or the new hunter is activated. The curse was first revealed to exist by Klaus in We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes.
- April Young told the authorities about Atticus Shane's crimes in After School Special.
- Kol was able to easily compel Damon, who has been off vervain since the town's supply was destroyed by the Council in Growing Pains.
- Both Elena and Klaus mention that Stefan was able to briefly resist Klaus' compulsion in The Reckoning.
- Rebekah mentions the witch Gloria. She was last seen in Disturbing Behavior.
- Numerous compelled vampires - Heart Extraction, killed by Kol Mikaelson.
- Mysterious man - stabbed, killed by himself.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Catch Me If You Can is the title of Frank Abagnale, Jr.'s autobiography, telling the story of how he cashed $2.5 million worth of bad checks while pursued by the FBI. It was adapted to film in 2002, directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks.
- The expression "catch me if you can" can be used as a playful invitation, daring someone to try to keep up.
- The expression "up the creek ," used by Rebekah, is short for "up the creek without a paddle," which means to be in an awkward situation with no way out.
- The use of "Team ____________" is an oblique reference to the "other" popular vampire series: Twilight. Fueling the feud among readers, the publishers included stickers saying "Team Edward" and "Team Jacob" with the copies of the book Eclipse.
- Voodoo doll is a magical object associated with some kinds of folk magic. Of course if voodoo practitioners ever really used voodoo dolls, they would be very different from Movie Voodoo Dolls.
- Hopi Prayer Feathers - amulets made by the Hopi Indians, for personal health and protection, blessings for the home or travels.
- Han dynasty Soul Vase - a ceramic urn, often found in the tombs of Han Dynasty. It is believed that the soul of the deceased inhabited these urns.
- Polynesian Sacrificial Knife - there is no consensus that the Polynesian did perform human sacrifices. Either way, in most islands where the Polynesians live there is no free metal to be worked, so in most of the places, knives were made of sharpened bone or Shark's teeth attached to wood.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 2.71 million viewers in the USA, which was 0.24 million less than the previous episode.
- Hashtag during the airing is #RaisingTheStakes
- Jeremy: "No way. I'm not doing this."
- Klaus: "What makes you think you have a choice?"
- Damon: "You have to kill vampires to complete the Hunter's Mark. Mark equals cure. You're in a bar full of almost-vampires, so get your hunt on."
- Stefan: "Going to see Damon?"
- Elena: "I need to talk to him."
- Stefan: "Well, you can't. He'll just ask you to let him out."
- Elena: "I won't let him out."
- Stefan: "You won't have a choice. You're sired. That all?"
- Elena: "Stefan, what are you doing with Rebekah? She tried to kill me."
- Stefan: "And this will be the second time that Damon tried to kill Jeremy. So I guess nobody's perfect, right?"
- Elena: "Are you trying to punish me? I don't know how many times I can apologize."
- Stefan: "I never asked you to. You can do whatever you want, Elena. I really don't care."
- Elena: "You're hurt. You're hurt, and you're acting out. Stefan, this isn't you."
- Stefan: "Sure it is. You've just never seen me like this. You don't know what I look like when I'm not in love with you. I'll let Damon know you stopped by."
- Jeremy: "Klaus still wants me to finish the mark. He's not gonna stop."
- Elena: "There's a group of compelled vampires out there."
- Jeremy: "Get to the house, hurry."
- Elena: "We need a plan."
- Jeremy: "They're coming."
- Damon: "Jeremy, get your hunt on."
- Stefan: "I know you were daggered for a little while but, uh, knocking is still a thing."
- Rebekah: "So is writing in your diary, apparently. I'm just checking for doubts. You can never be too cautious when it comes to love. One minute your begging me to compel Elena from your mind, and the next, I'm up coffin creek with a dagger in my back."
- Stefan: "Right. Well you can read it all you want, I'm done with her."
- Rebekah: "The cure is buried with Silas. You know, that ancient, evil guy my brother Kol is afraid of? Shane was so eager to prove his existence that he gave away that he had one of the keys to resurrect him: his headstone."
- Stefan: "I see. You want to steal it?"
- Rebekah: "Yes, and then Team Shane will have to join Team Rebekah, and team Klaus will be left out in the cold where he belongs."
- Rebekah: "Just did what felt good. Stop... caring."
- Damon: "Listen, just go one at a time, only shoot for the heart. Don't hesitate, and don't miss."
- Jeremy: "Save the teaching moment. Elena's not here. You don't have to pretend to give a damn about me."
- Damon: "I'm trying to keep you alive, dumbass! Come on."
- Kol: "You know, when my brother bragged about his plan to complete Jeremy's Hunter's Mark, it was easy enough to track this lot down. They were all hiding in the shadows. Now, killing young vampires is easy. Or old ones, for that matter."
- Damon: "Why? What's it to you either way?"
- Kol: "Because, you fools, in your zeal to find the cure, you risk waking someone very dangerous."
- Damon: "Oh. You must be talking about Silas."
- Kol: "What do you know of him?"
- Damon: "Nothing. Don't want to. Not our problem."
- Kol: "Isn't it?"
- Damon: "Uh-uh."
- Kol: "A few hundred years back, I came across a group that worshiped Silas. His followers told me that he would rise again, and when he did, he would trigger the end of all time. You know, being an immortal, you can see why I'm opposed to time's ending. So, I murdered all of them. And now, here you are willing to risk raising him in your search for the cure. I can't exactly sit back and let that happen, can I?"
- Damon: "We're not going to back off the cure because you were told one too many scary bedtime stories, you idiot."
- Summary -