|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 3, Episode 17|
|Air date||March 22nd 2012|
|Written by||Rebecca Sonnenshine|
|Directed by||Lance Anderson|
|Episode Guide transcript|
The Murder of One
Break On Through is the seventeenth episode of the Third Season and the sixty-first episode in the series.
FAMILY HISTORIES — A century after their first encounter, Damon and Sage meet again at the ceremony to kick off the restoration of Wickery Bridge. Damon is surprised to learn the reason Sage has returned and pleased when she devises an unusual method to help him figure out what Rebekah is up to. Abby is having a hard time adjusting to her new reality, despite Bonnie and Caroline's efforts to help. When Damon informs Elena of Stefan's latest struggles, she reaches out to Stefan to help her save a friend in danger in hopes that it will bring Stefan closer to his humanity. Finally, when Damon discovers a new secret weapon, he lets Stefan in on the news.
|The episode starts with Meredith and Elena talking about Alaric's condition and how it can be cured. Elena asks Meredith when she found out Alaric was the killer and why she didn't tell anyone. Meredith then replies that she found out when Alaric told her about the ring, and it's because she's a doctor and she doesn't enjoy seeing people suffer for things that they have no control over and that it's because when she met Alaric, she knew that she just has to help him.
Damon shows up the hospital to come and get Alaric and he promises Elena that he will make sure that Alaric won't kill anyone. Elena is angered but it's not about Alaric. It's because Damon let Stefan feed on an innocent girl. Damon tells her that he is helping him by teaching Stefan how to control his bloodlust. Elena then tells him that he is the last person that should teach something to Stefan about self-control.
Caroline later shows up at the Bennett-Wilson farm house and tells Bonnie that she has fresh blood bags for Abby. Bonnie tells Caroline that Abby has been feeling depressed because she can no longer connect to nature.
Alaric, Meredith, and Damon all go to the Wickery Bridge construction site. Alaric tells everyone that he wants to leave and Damon tells them to go ahead. Damon has spotted Sage and asks her why she's in Mystic Falls. She says that she's just passing through and Damon tells her that nobody just passes through Mystic Falls.
Elena arrives at the Salvatore boarding house and is surprised when she sees Stefan. Stefan tells her the story of Samantha Gibert.
Rebekah suddenly arrives and she and Sage start to bad mouth each other. Rebekah tells Sage that Finn has no care for her whatsoever and that he has fled town. Sage tells her that maybe it's because he is looking for her and Rebekah tells her that that's the last thing he would be doing right now. Rebekah leaves and Damon asks what's going on between her and Rebekah. Sage tells him that Klaus and Rebekah treated her like a whore back in the day. She also tells him that he turned her because they loved each other, right before Klaus daggered Finn. She explains her anger to him and that she is more upset with Klaus because he daggered Finn and kept him boxed up in the coffin. Damon asks for Sage's help with finding out on what Rebekah is up to. She tells him that she can get inside of Rebekah's head.
At the farm house, Caroline tells Jamie that Abby has been looking for him. She bends down to grab a piece of wood for the fire and Jamie quickly acts alarmed. Caroline eventually figure out that Jamie is afraid of Abby. She gives him a lecture about how Abby has always been there for Jamie and he should be there for her too, then she gets a call from Elena and Caroline tells Jamie to get over his fear and takes Elena's call.
Back at Elena's, Alaric looks through Meredith's files on him. He goes through the police reports, saying he was defending people in most of them. There's something not in the reports. He tells her he was the one who slayed her vampire cousin Logan Fell. She asks why he never tried to kill Damon. He says he did. Damon killed him.
Damon comes home and finds Stefan gorging on blood. Stefan's angry at Damon for what he said to Elena. Damon warns Stefan to make himself scarce unless he wants to be part of a "Sage-Rebekah sex sandwich".
Jamie comes inside to build a fire and gives Abby a hug. Unfortunately, Abby gets a whiff of his blood and vamps out, biting him. He screams. Bonnie comes running, throwing Abby off him. Abby realizes what she's done and is horrified.
Damon and Sage wait for Rebekah to arrive at the Salvatore mansion. He tells her Finn isn't coming back. Rebekah arrives with wine. Sage and Damon start their own dance party. Rebekah chews on the piano player. Damon joins her. He starts to kiss her, telling her he wants her, not Sage. The plan is working perfectly.
Bonnie finds Abby outside, bringing her a bag of blood. Abby wants to leave. Bonnie convinces her they need her. Caroline reports Jamie is healed thanks to some vampire blood. Now, she needs a favor.
At the house, Alaric gives Elena a list of all his bank accounts and passwords, just in case. Caroline calls, saying Abby thinks they can reverse the damage with a spell. Bonnie's on her way, but doesn't feel chatty.
Bonnie needs something he wore before the spell. He suggests his wedding ring back at his loft. Elena goes to get it.
Naked Rebekah dozes in bed with Damon. Sage sneaks in and reads her thoughts. Damon sneaks out of bed and into the shower with Sage. She shows Damon Rebekah's thoughts about the white oak tree. Downstairs, Damon starts looking for their old milling records. He asks Sage to go upstairs and keep Rebekah distracted. He finds records from 1912. There's an entry about Wickery bridge.
Elena arrives at Alaric's and finds Stefan waiting. She thinks he doesn't want to be around her, but he tells her he just can't be around her because he's not in control. He found newspaper articles about Samantha Gilbert. She killed a nurse and a guard when she was in the mental hospital, where she had no personal effects, not even the ring. So the behavior could happen even without the ring. Cut to Alaric waking up on Meredith's couch. He gets up and drains her tranquilizer syringes.
Damon burns the 1912 book. Sage reports Rebekah is gone. He tells her the book showed the white oak was used to make the Wickery bridge. She points out this is a problem for her, because of Finn. She threatens him. He offers a deal, she helps him kill Rebekah and he'll leave Finn alone. Damon comes down after getting dressed and finds Sage is gone.
Going through Alaric's things looking for the ring, Stefan and Elena find pictures of Alaric's victims. Stefan finds a file on Jeremy Gilbert. There's a note telling him to continue on his work and cleanse the council. It reads like a hit list of council members. Elena finds Alaric's wedding ring.
Back at the house, Alaric confronts her coolly and asks if she feels remorse, as a member of the council who didn't protect the town from vampires. He picks up a knife and approaches her. He lunges at her and slices her. She pours hot coffee on him and runs. He chases her up the stairs and tries to lock herself in the bathroom. She stabs him in the hand with scissors and locks the last door. Meredith's cut badly.
Damon tears into town and finds Rebekah standing at the Wickery bridge as it burns. She taunts him and saunters off. Sage is there. She points out he lied to her. Since all the originals are linked, Finn would die if Rebekah did. She read his thoughts, too. He threatens to kill her, but he's no match for her 900 years. Damon tells her about Finn volunteering to kill himself to end them all. Angrily, Damon promises when he finds a way to kill them all, he'll start with Finn.
Stefan and Elena return to the house and notice something amiss. Alaric comes down the stairs with his hand bandaged. He says Meredith got called to the hospital. He hurt his hand on a coffee mug. Elena lies about meeting up with Stefan and finding his ring. He says he's going to get it. She sees the bloody knife. Before he can do anything, Stefan chokes him from behind, knocking him out. Stefan smells blood and goes upstairs, telling Elena he's going to need her help. They find Meredith passed out and covered in blood. Stefan immediately vamps out. He then takes a moment and gets it under control. He feeds Meredith his blood. Alaric wakes up in bed with Damon watching over him. Damon tells Alaric that Bonnie did a spell. Alaric notices his hand is hurt and asks if something happened. Damon tells him he has an alter-ego hell bent on killing council members. Alaric asks about Meredith. Damon says she'll be fine.
Bonnie finds Elena. Bonnie says all the dying and coming back might have chipped away at Alaric's psyche. She gives Elena herbs to bind the spell. Elena asks about Abby. Bonnie says she's going to go stay with her. Elena apologizes again. Bonnie hugs her forgives her. Back at the house, Jamie and Caroline plant the garden. Caroline finds Abby inside writing a letter. Caroline realizes she's leaving. Abby says she doesn't know how to do this. "Be a vampire or be a parent?" Caroline demands, saying she can teacher her how to be a vampire. She tells her Bonnie is not better off without her. She asks her to stay, but Abby picks up her things and leaves.
Elena contemplates her empty house. She calls Jeremy. She doesn't tell him about Alaric, but says she misses him.
At home, Stefan has a drink in the morning. He's toasting control. Stefan notices Damon is feeling chipper. He unveils his package: Alaric's sign for the Wickery Bridge made from the white oak tree. They have a weapon. "Game's back on, brother. Let's go kill some originals," Damon says.
- Nina Dobrev as Elena Gilbert
- Paul Wesley as Stefan Salvatore
- Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore
- Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert
- Candice Accola as Caroline Forbes
- Zach Roerig as Matt Donovan (credit only)
- Katerina Graham as Bonnie Bennett
- Matt Davis as Alaric Saltzman/The Darkness
- Michael Trevino as Tyler Lockwood (credit only)
- Joseph Morgan as Niklaus Mikaelson (credit only)
- Claire Holt as Rebekah Mikaelson
- Torrey DeVitto as Meredith Fell
- Cassidy Freeman as Sage
- Robert Ri'chard as Jamie
- Persia White as Abby Bennett Wilson
- Susan Walters as Carol Lockwood
- Antagonist: The Darkness (possessing Alaric Saltzman).
- Stefan and Meredith shared their first scene together.
- Julie Plec said that Damon does something really crappy to Rebekah in this episode and the outcome is him getting tortured by her in the episode The Murder of One.
- This episode marks the first present day appearance of Sage, she was last seen via flashbacks in the previous episode.
- It is revealed that Sage had a deep love for Finn, and has been waiting for him for over 900 years.
- This episode had 2.690 million viewers in the USA.
- Jeremy was last seen in Our Town.
- Jamie was last seen in The Ties That Bind.
- Damon tells Sage about Finn wanting to die. He was referring to the events of All My Children.
- Abby, Bonnie and Caroline were last seen in All My Children.
- "Break on Through" is the name of The Door's debut album, after the main song, "Break on Through to the Other Side".
- "Rainbows and Unicorn" expression meaning when everything was nice. It relates to a positive feeling based on optimism, not fact. It could also relate to a site that was very popular a few years ago, Cornify, that will cover any picture or web page with rainbows and unicorns.
- Caroline's rant about different blood types having different flavors could be a reference to HBO's TV series "True_Blood", where artificially made blood is sold in bottles labeled by the blood types, and vampires express preference for one or the other "flavor".
- "Blast from the Past" something or someone who after a period of distance makes a welcome return. Coined by radio DJ's when introducing old songs.
- "What the cat dragged in" Cats are known to bring mice or other little critters they killed to their owners house. Using this implies its an unwelcome gift.
- "Two is company, three is a party" is Andy Warhol's variation of the classic phrase "Two is company, three is a crowd" that is used when people want to be alone with their loved ones.
- "Sleeper Hold" a kind of a choke hold that aims to render the victim unconscious by restraining the flow of blood to the brain.
- "Philanthropist" the origin of the word is "love of humankind". It is said of people who do an active effort to promote human welfare...
- Great use of Chekhov's Gun : The sign that Alaric is supposed to be restoring turns out the be VERY useful in the end...
- Rebekah: "What happened to the party?"
- Sage: "It just arrived."
- Damon: "Sage, let's go we have originals to kill."
- Damon: "Two is company, three is a party."
- Rebekah: "Your grand plans always seem to get ruined, don't they?"
- Elena: "Something terrible has happened to Alaric."
- Meredith: "This isn't you Alaric!"
- Alaric: "Open this door!"
- Elena: "Please don't hurt him!"
- Elena: "I just came by to pick up this book that you found on my ancestor, Samantha."
- Sage: "Damon Salvatore, my favorite student."
- Damon: "Sage, my hottest teacher. What are you doing here?"
- Sage: "I'm just passing through."
- Rebekah: "Hmm, Finn. You've just missed him. He left town and didn't tell soul where he was going."
- Sage: "He probably went looking for me."
- Rebekah (laughs): "Or quite possibly he forgot all about you."
- Sage: "I doubt that."