FAMILY HISTORIES — A century after their first encounter, Damon and Sage meet again at the ceremony to kick off the restoration of Wickery Bridge. Damon is surprised to learn the reason Sage has returned, and pleased when she devises an unusual method to help him figure out what Rebekah is up to. Abby is having a hard time adjusting to her new reality, despite Bonnie and Caroline's efforts to help. When Damon informs Elena of Stefan's latest struggles, she reaches out to Stefan to help her save a friend in danger, in hopes that it will bring Stefan even closer to his humanity. Finally, when Damon discovers a new secret weapon, he lets Stefan in on the news.
|The episode starts with Meredith and Elena talking about Alaric's condition and how it can be cured. Elena asks Meredith when she found out Alaric was the killer and why she didn't tell anyone. Meredith then replies that she found out when Alaric told her about the ring, and it's because she's a doctor and she doesn't enjoy seeing people suffer for things that they have no control over and that it's because when she met Alaric, she knew that she just had to help him.
Damon shows up at the hospital to come and get Alaric and he promises Elena that he will make sure that Alaric won't kill anyone. Elena is angered, but it's not about Alaric. It's because Damon let Stefan feed on an innocent girl. Damon tells her that he is helping him by teaching Stefan how to control his bloodlust. Elena then tells him that he is the last person that should teach something to Stefan about self-control.Caroline later shows up at the Bennett-Wilson farm house and tells Bonnie that she has fresh blood bags for Abby. Bonnie tells Caroline that Abby has been feeling depressed because she can no longer connect to nature.
Alaric, Meredith and Damon all go to the Wickery Bridge construction site. Alaric tells everyone that he wants to leave and Damon tells them to go ahead. Damon has spotted Sage and asks her why she's in Mystic Falls. She says that she's just passing through and Damon tells her that nobody just passes through Mystic Falls.
Elena arrives at the Salvatore Boarding House and is surprised when she sees Stefan. Stefan tells her the story of Samantha Gilbert.
Rebekah suddenly arrives at the event and she and Sage start to bad-mouth each other. Rebekah tells Sage that Finn has no care for her whatsoever and that he has fled town. Sage tells her that maybe it's because he is looking for her and Rebekah tells her that that's the last thing he would be doing right now. Rebekah leaves and Damon asks what's going on between her and Rebekah. Sage tells him that Klaus and Rebekah treated her like a whore back in the day. She also tells him that Finn turned her because they loved each other, right before Klaus daggered Finn. She explains her anger to him and that she is more upset with Klaus because he daggered Finn and kept him boxed up in the coffin. Damon asks for Sage's help with finding out on what Rebekah is up to. She tells him that she can get inside of Rebekah's head.
At the farm house, Caroline tells Jamie that Abby has been looking for him. She bends down to grab a piece of wood for the fire and Jamie quickly acts alarmed. Caroline eventually figures out that Jamie is afraid of Abby. She gives him a lecture about how Abby has always been there for Jamie and he should be there for her too, then she gets a call from Elena and Caroline tells Jamie to get over his fear and takes Elena's call.
Back at Elena's, Alaric looks through Meredith's files on him. He goes through the police reports, saying he was defending people in most of them. There's something not in the reports. He tells her he was the one who slayed her vampire cousin Logan Fell. She asks why he never tried to kill Damon. He says he did. Damon killed him.
Damon comes home and finds Stefan gorging on blood. Stefan's angry at Damon for what he said to Elena. Damon warns Stefan to make himself scarce unless he wants to be part of a "Sage-Rebekah sex sandwich".
Jamie comes inside to build a fire and gives Abby a hug. Unfortunately, Abby gets a whiff of his blood and vamps out, biting him. He screams. Bonnie comes running, throwing Abby off him. Abby realizes what she's done and is horrified.
Damon and Sage wait for Rebekah to arrive at the Salvatore mansion. He tells her Finn isn't coming back. Rebekah arrives with wine. Sage and Damon start their own dance party. Rebekah chews on the piano player. Damon joins her. He starts to kiss her, telling her he wants her, not Sage. The plan is working perfectly.
Bonnie finds Abby outside, bringing her a bag of blood. Abby wants to leave. Bonnie convinces her they need her. Caroline reports Jamie is healed thanks to some vampire blood. Now, she needs a favor.
At the house, Alaric gives Elena a list of all his bank accounts and passwords, just in case. Caroline calls, saying Abby thinks they can reverse the damage with a spell. Bonnie's on her way, but doesn't feel chatty.
Bonnie needs something Alaric wore before the spell. He suggests his wedding ring back at his loft. Elena goes to get it.
Naked Rebekah dozes in bed with Damon. Sage sneaks in and reads her thoughts. Damon sneaks out of bed and into the shower with Sage. She shows Damon Rebekah's thoughts about the white oak tree through kissing him. Downstairs, Damon starts looking for their old milling records. He asks Sage to go upstairs and keep Rebekah distracted. He finds records from 1912. There's an entry about Wickery Bridge.
Elena arrives at Alaric's and finds Stefan waiting. She thinks he doesn't want to be around her, but he tells her he just can't be around her because he's not in control. He found newspaper articles about Samantha Gilbert. She killed a nurse and a guard when she was in the mental hospital, where she had no personal effects, not even the ring. So the behavior could happen even without the ring. Cut to Alaric waking up on Meredith's couch. He gets up and drains her tranquilizer syringes.
Damon burns the 1912 book. Sage reports Rebekah is gone. He tells her the book showed the white oak was used to make the Wickery Bridge. She points out this is a problem for her, because of Finn. She threatens him. Damon offers a deal: Sage helps him kill Rebekah and he'll leave Finn alone. Damon comes down after getting dressed and finds Sage is gone.
Going through Alaric's things looking for the ring, Stefan and Elena find pictures of Alaric's victims. Stefan finds a file on Jeremy Gilbert. There's a note telling him to continue on his work and cleanse the council. It reads like a hit list of council members. Elena finds Alaric's wedding ring.
Back at the house, Alaric confronts Meredith coolly and asks if she feels remorse, as a member of the council who didn't protect the town from vampires. He picks up a knife and approaches her. He lunges at her and slices her. She pours hot coffee on him and runs. He chases her up the stairs and she tries to lock herself in the bathroom. She stabs him in the hand with scissors and locks the last door. Meredith's cut badly.Damon tears into town and finds Rebekah standing at the Wickery Bridge as it burns. She taunts him and saunters off. Sage is there. She points out he lied to her. Since all the originals are linked, Finn would die if Rebekah did. She read his thoughts, too. He threatens to kill her, but he's no match for her 900 years. Damon tells her about Finn volunteering to kill himself to end them all. Angrily, Damon promises when he finds a way to kill them all, he'll start with Finn.
Stefan and Elena return to the house and notice something's amiss. Alaric comes down the stairs with his hand bandaged. He says Meredith got called to the hospital. He hurt his hand on a coffee mug.Elena lies about meeting up with Stefan and finding his ring. He says he's going to get it. She sees the bloody knife. Before he can do anything, Stefan chokes him from behind, knocking him out. Stefan smells blood and goes upstairs, telling Elena he's going to need her help. They find Meredith passed out and covered in blood. Stefan immediately vamps out. He then takes a moment and gets it under control. He feeds Meredith his blood. Alaric wakes up in bed with Damon watching over him. Damon tells Alaric that Bonnie did a spell. Alaric notices his hand is hurt and asks if something happened. Damon tells him he has an alter-ego hell bent on killing council members. Alaric asks about Meredith. Damon says she'll be fine.
Elena contemplates her empty house. She calls Jeremy. She doesn't tell him about Alaric, but says she misses him.
At home, Stefan has a drink in the morning. He's toasting control. Stefan notices Damon is feeling chipper. He unveils his package: Alaric's sign for the Wickery Bridge made from the White Oak Tree. They have a weapon. "Game's back on, brother. Let's go kill some originals," Damon says.
- Antagonist: The Darkness (possessing Alaric Saltzman).
- Stefan and Meredith shared their first scene together.
- Damon manipulates and uses Rebekah to get information from her on what she's hiding from them.
- Rebekah responds to this betrayal by torturing Damon in the next episode.
- Sage admitted that Damon was her favorite student.
- This episode marks the first present day appearance of Sage. She was last seen via flashbacks in the previous episode.
- Matt, Tyler and Klaus do not appear in this episode.
- It is revealed that Sage's one true love was Finn, and has been waiting for him to be undaggered for over 900 years.
- Jeremy was last seen in Our Town.
- Jamie was last seen in The Ties That Bind.
- Damon tells Sage about Finn wanting to die. He was referring to the events of All My Children, when Finn offered himself up as a "sacrificial lamb" to his mother so she could kill his siblings.
- Abby, Bonnie and Caroline were last seen in All My Children.
- "Break on Through (To the Other Side)" is the name of a song by the American rock band, The Doors.
- "Rainbows and Unicorn" is an expression that means "when everything was nice." It relates to a positive feeling based on optimism, not fact. It could also relate to a site that was very popular a few years ago, Cornify, that will cover any picture or web page with rainbows and unicorns.
- Caroline's rant about different blood types having different flavors could be a reference to HBO's TV series "True Blood", where artificially made blood is sold in bottles labeled by the blood types, and vampires express preference for one or the other "flavor."
- "Blast from the Past" something or someone who after a period of distance makes a welcome return. Coined by radio DJ's when introducing old songs.
- "What the cat dragged in" Cats are known to bring mice or other little critters they killed to their owners house. Using this implies its an unwelcome gift.
- "Two is company, three is a party" is Andy Warhol's variation of the classic phrase "Two is company, three is a crowd" that is used when people want to be alone with their loved ones.
- "Sleeper Hold" a kind of a choke hold that aims to render the victim unconscious by restraining the flow of blood to the brain.
- "Philanthropist" the origin of the word is "love of humankind." It is said of people who do an active effort to promote human welfare.
- "Slasher" is A slasher film is a subgenre of horror film, and at times thriller, typically involving a mysterious psychopathic killer stalking and killing a sequence of victims usually in a graphically violent manner, often with a cutting tool such as a knife or axe. Although the term "slasher" may be used as a generic term for any horror movie involving graphic acts of murder, the slasher as a genre has its own set of characteristics which set it apart from related genres like the splatter film. Horror films such as Halloween, Urban Legend, Friday the 13th, I Know What You Did Last Summer, A Nightmare on Elm Street and Sorority Row are considered "slashers."
- Kevin Williamson, writer and executive producer for The Vampire Diaries, came to prominence as the writer of the slasher film, Scream.
- Matthew Davis, who played Alaric Saltzman in The Vampire Diaries, he also played Travis/Trevor in the slasher film Urban Legends: Final Cut, Mike in Wasted Away, O'Dell in Below and Sebastian in BloodRayne. He is the Scream King.
- Great use of Chekhov's Gun : The sign that Alaric is supposed to be restoring turns out the be VERY useful in the end...
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 2.69 million viewers in the USA.
- Caroline: "I don't understand."
- Bonnie: "Witches have a connection to the Earth. We can literally feel nature."
- Alaric (to Elena) : "I didn't kill Brian Walters. I didn't kill Bill Forbes. And, I sure as hell didn't shove a hunting knife into my stomach!"
- Damon (to Alaric) : "You ready to ditch this house of horrors? Ooh, you look terrible!"
- Damon (to Elena about Alaric) : "Don't worry about him! I'll take him out for chicken soup, get him a martini, make sure he doesn't kill anybody."
- Damon (to Elena) : "Ah, yes. Back when you two were in love and it was all rainbows and unicorns."
- Caroline (to Bonnie) : "I totally lucked out. The hospital just had a blood drive... so I got some O-negatives, some A's, and my personal favorite, B-positive.
- Abby (to Bonnie and Caroline) : "I can't feel it anymore. My garden... it's gone. I can't feel anything."
- Bonnie (to Caroline) : "Witches have a connection to the Earth. We can literally feel nature. Life."
- Damon (to Alaric) : "The world can't stop just because you're an accidental psycho-killer."
- Sage (to Damon) : "Damon Salvatore, my favorite student."
- Damon (to Sage) : "Sage, my hottest teacher."
- Rebekah (to Sage) : "Look what the cat dragged in!"
- Sage (To Rebekah) : "I heard Finn was finally freed from that casket your rage-aholic brother Klaus carted him around in."
- Damon (to Rebekah) : "Anyone ever tell you, you're sexy when you're bitchy?"
- Stefan (to Elena) : "Samantha Gilbert was committed to an insane asylum. She tried to give herself a lobotomy with a knitting needle... and bled to death on the floor of her cell."
- Alaric (to Meredith) : "Everyone needs to find a way to deal with their dark side. Some people meditate. I became a vampire hunter."
- Damon (to Stefan) : "Whoa! Control, remember? It doesn't matter whether it's blondes or blood bags-- same principles apply."
- Damon (to Stefan) : "Own it, live it, love it! Stop being ashamed of who you are!"
- Damon (to Stefan) : "Now, unless you're interested in a Sage-Rebekah sex sandwich, I suggest you make yourself... scarce."
- Sage (to Damon about Rebekah) : "Patience! Between her craving for affection and her pathological fear of being left alone... our little get together is too tempting to resist."
- Sage (referring to Rebekah ringing the doorbell) : "The sweet chime of desperation."
- Rebekah (to Damon and Sage about a vintage bottle of wine) : "I stole it from Nik, who stole it from a Queen. I'm not sure which one."
- Sage (to Damon) : "I will rip your head off in two seconds if you take one more step!"
- Sage (to Damon) : "I am nine hundred years old, Damon. You're not capable of ending me!"
- Damon (to Sage about Finn) : "He didn't wanna live. Not for you, not for anyone. He doesn't love you, Sage. And when I do find another way to kill those Originals, I'll start with Finn!"
- Damon (to Alaric) : "Let's just say you've got an alter ego hell bent on killing Council members. So, we're going to pack up some of your stuff, we're going to go to the loft for a little bit. You know, it's like house arrest... lite."
- Damon: "Sage, let's go. We have Originals to kill."
- Damon: "Two is company, three is a party."
- Rebekah: "Your grand plans always seem to get ruined, don't they?"
- Rebekah: "Hmm, Finn. You've just missed him. He left town, and didn't tell a soul where he was going."
- Sage: "He probably went looking for me."
- Rebekah (laughs): "Or, quite possibly, he forgot all about you."
- Sage: "I doubt that."
- Damon : "You set me up!"
- Sage : "No, I'm just looking out for myself."
- Damon :"I told you I'd save your creepy boyfriend!"
- Sage : "And you lied to me, Damon. The Originals are linked-- if one dies, they all die. If I could get inside her head, don't you think I'd get inside yours?"
- Alaric: "What the hell are you doing here?"
- Damon: "Just making sure the witch didn't turn you into a toad, or salt."