[At the Mystic Falls hospital.]
(Caroline wakes up with a start and goes out of the room. The nurse is the only one in sight.)
- Caroline: Excuse me? Where is everyone?
- Nurse: It's the middle of the night honey.
- Caroline: It is? Oh, uh ... have you seen my mom?
- Nurse: She left after dinner with your boyfriend and then your friend Elena stepped by.
- Caroline: She did? Yeah, she did but she said her name was Katherine. Can I just get something to eat?
- Nurse: Breakfast comes around seven.
- Caroline: But I'm hungry.
- Nurse: You should go back to sleep.
(She goes toward the room but then she stops.)
- Caroline: What is that smell?
- Nurse: Back to bed.
(The nurse leaves but Caroline stays in the hallway. She looks everywhere and sees a blood pouch in a patient's room. She goes toward the pouch and touches it but the nurse arrives.)
- Nurse: What are you doing in here?
- Caroline: I don't know.
- Nurse: You need to go back to bed.
(She takes Caroline to her room and leaves. Caroline sits down on her bed and takes the blood pouch from her pocket. She drinks but she doesn't like it and, disgusted, throws the pouch on the floor. She looks down at the pouch on the floor, climbs down from her bed and picks it up. She starts drinking again and her fangs appear.)
[At the Mystic Falls high school.]
(Everyone is preparing the carnival. Bonnie and Elena are taking care of everything.)
- Bonnie: Katherine looked just like you, it was freakish.
- Elena: She is my ancestor. Hey, I moved the student booth into the cafeteria.
- Bonnie: Your vampire ancestor and she didn't just resemble you like a family member would. She was you.
- Elena: I don't know, I can't explain it. It's creepy, that's all I got.
- Bonnie: How do you know she's not still out there pretending to be you?
- Elena: I don't but I could sit here and be tortured by the not-knowing or I could get these prizes to the ring toss.
- Bonnie: Have you talk to Damon since he killed Jeremy or tried to kill Jeremy?
- Elena: No Bonnie, I haven't and I won't and I don't want to talk about Damon or anything else that's vampire related okay? (She gives a bag full of plush to Bonnie) I'm human. And I have to do human stuff. Otherwise, I'm going to go crazy.
- Bonnie: Okay, I'm sorry, I'll focus. We have to make Caroline proud or she will kill us. I don't know how she does all of this.
- Elena: Well because she's not human, obviously.
- Bonnie: Obviously. (They laugh.)
(Jeremy and Stefan are in the hallway against Jeremy's locker)
- Stefan: It's the same as the bracelet Elena gave you.
- Jeremy: It protects me from compulsion.
- Stefan: Vervain is toxic to vampires.
- Jeremy: Like poison?
- Stefan: Yeah, it's very poisonous. It keeps them out of your head.
- Jeremy: But why vervain?
- Stefan: Don't know, certain natural herbs and roots and other elements are just harmful to vampires.
- Jeremy: Like a stake to the heart?
- Stefan: Right but it has to be wood.
- Jeremy: You're pretty confident in yourself telling me all the different ways I could kill you.
- Stefan: Jeremy, if I thought you wanted to kill me we would be having a much different conversation.
- Jeremy: Yeah, Damon is the one that deserves it.
- Stefan: I want you to forget about Damon, all right? He's hundred times stronger than you and right now he's not stable. You got to try to move forward.
- Jeremy: I was killed by a vampire and brought back by a magic ring. How do you move forward from that?
- Stefan: Right. Well, today we have a nice little distraction courtesy of the slave driver Elena.
- Stefan: Hello Elena
- Elena: Hey, did you…
- Jeremy: Yeah, yeah, I set up the gold fish toss all three hundred gold fish. (says sarcastically) It's gonna be epic! (He leaves)
- Stefan: He's gonna be alright, he's just been through a little bit of an ordeal.
- Elena: I was just hoping that this carnival would reel him back into the land of a high school teenager.
- Stefan: That was what we were doing here?
- Elena: Yes, we all are. We're going to be boring high school students who live in a world where the “v” word is not uttered.
- Stefan: Got it!
- Elena: Then later you're going to take me to the Ferris wheel, we're gonna ride to the very top and then you're gonna kiss me and my heart will flutter like a normal high school girl. Do you see a running theme here?
- Stefan: Yeah I know, I'm seeing it and I'm liking it but I have a quick question. Uh, what do we do about Damon?
- Elena: Uh, no “D” word okay? That has been deleted from the list of topics that we can discuss.
- Stefan: Unfortunately Katherine showing up has been a little bit of an odd place, little off-kilterr, kind of dangerous. Who knows what he's up to?
[At the Lockwood's Mansion.]
(Damon is in the living room with Carol Lockwood)
- Carol: So I understand John Gilbert has left town. Have they found the vampire that attacked him?
- Damon: Well, the sheriff has asked me to take the lead on that and I promise you I will get to the bottom of it.
- Carol: Which brings me to my next subject. With Richard gone, I'll be acting as interim mayor until the elections and I'm going to need someone to spearhead out the council. I'd like that person to be you.
- Damon: Whatever you need Carol. As a founding family member it's something that's very close to me so I would be honored to help keep this town safe from vampires.
(Mason and Tyler enter the house. Carol closes the door of the living room)
- Damon: Is it safe to talk?
- Carol: It's my brother-in-law, Mason. He's still visiting. I just don't want him to hear us. He didn't want any part of the council when he lived here and I see no reason to bring him into it now.
[Damon is listening to their conversation with his powers.]
- Tyler: When was that? Like seven?
- Mason: Six. I don't count the last one. You crawled it.
- Tyler: What?
- Mason: I think Grandma Lockwood actually passed you, in her walker.
- Tyler: Yeah, okay. Shoes off. Mud, my mom...
- Mason: Yeah, yeah.
(Mason sits down and removes his shoes)
- Mason: So all this anger and aggression you're talking about, you notice a difference when you exercise?
- Tyler: Dude, I play 3 varsity sports. I work out 4 times a week and run 3, I'm gonna say no.
- Mason: Do you have episodes? What happens exactly?
- Tyler: Starts out normal, I get angry typically over nothing. I'm an angry guy. I know it just amplifies and I just go off.
- Mason: You black out?
- Tyler: Yeah, it's like I go blind with rage.
- Mason: Is there a pattern? Like once a month, only at night?
- Tyler: All I know is I loose myself, you know? For that time I become something else and I hate it.
(Damon is still listening)
- Carol: More tea? Damon?
- Damon: Oh yes, please. Thank you Carol.
[At the Mystic Falls hospital.]
(Caroline is in her room. The curtains are drawn except for the small ray of light trickling from the window. Caroline tries to put her hand in the light, but withdraws it painfully when it burns. Matt arrives with a tray of food.)
- Matt: Your mom said you're not eating.
- Caroline: It's gross.
- Matt: It's hospital food; it's supposed to be gross.
(Matt goes toward her to kiss her but there's the sunlight between them)
- Matt: She also said you're getting released tomorrow morning.
- Caroline: Morning? I need to get out tonight.
- Matt: No, the carnival is going to happen without you, Caroline. I know it's hard for your neurotic control freak personality to process but Bonnie and Elena have it.
- Caroline: I'm not neurotic.
- Matt: Yeah you are but it's cute so...
- Caroline: Look, it's not about the carnival okay? It's just that this place is just really depressing.
- Matt: It's because you're sitting in the dark.
(He begins to open the curtains.)
- Caroline: No don't!
(Matt opens the curtains. Caroline runs to the opposite wall and presses herself flat against it to avoid the light.)
- Matt: What the hell?
- Caroline: Just close it, please.
- Matt: What's wrong with you?
- Caroline: Close it!
(He closes the curtains)
- Matt: I'll just come back later, okay? (He leaves)
[At the Salvatore Boarding house.]
(Damon is pouring a blood pouch in a glass. Stefan arrives)
- Damon: Care for one?
- Stefan: No, thank you. I'm not hungry, just ate.
- Damon: Are you worried that one day, all the forest animals are gonna band together and fight back? I mean, surely they talk.
- Stefan: I'm just happy that's a blood bag and not a sorority girl supplying your dinner.
- Damon: I like this. You, walking on eggs shells around me because you think I'm gonna explode. Very suspenseful. Is Elena worried too? I bet I'm your every conversation.
- Stefan: Have you heard from Katherine?
- Damon: I think the Lockwoods have a family secret because the Gilbert device affected them but vervain didn't so they're not vampires, they're something else.
- Stefan: Is this your new obsession?
- Damon: You'd rather some unknown supernatural element running rampant upon our town. Fine, I'll drop it.
- Stefan: We haven't seen the last of Katherine, you do know that right? We have no idea what she's up to.
- Damon: Sure we do. She came back to profess her undying eternal love for you so I'm gonna let you deal with her because I have more important things to do like explode. Cheers!
[At the Mystic Falls hospital.]
(Caroline is putting on her jewelry. She puts on the necklace Elena gave to her but It burns her skin so she throws it on the floor. The nurse arrives and picks it up.)
- Nurse: That's pretty
- Caroline: Yeah, my friend gave it to me.
(The nurse leaves, Caroline drinks blood from a pouch. She looks at her in the mirror, her face is changing and her fangs appear. She screams, the nurse arrives.)
- Nurse: What's wrong?
- Caroline: (She strangles the nurse and pushes her against the wall.) You can't tell anyone, you can't tell anyone! (She compels her)
- Nurse: I can't tell anyone.
- Caroline: You'll do what I say?
- Nurse: I'll do what you say.
- Caroline: Good, because I'm starving. (She bites her)
[At the Mystic Falls high school. It's the carnival.
(Elena is talking with Bonnie)
- Bonnie: The ring toss is out of Bart and Homer dolls and team Jacob T's.
- Elena: Okay, I can grab some from the science club. Also we lost a speaker in the karaoke booth.
- Bonnie: Hey, all good Elena, take a beat, look around. This is a huge success.
- Elena: You mean I can do more than just freak vampire havoc?
- Bonnie: Go figure.
(They laugh, Elena looks at a man who is repairing one of the stands)
- Elena: Hey, Carter, right? You're with the carnival.
- Carter: That'll be me.
- Elena: Okay, great.
- Carter: (He looks at Bonnie) Wow, what do you need beautiful?
- Bonnie: What do you know about karaoke speakers?
- Carter: Why don't you show me the problem?
- Elena: Yeah Bonnie, show him the problem.
- Bonnie: Okay, come on.
(They leave. Elena smiles)
[At the Lockwood's mansion.]
(Mason is in his brother office, looking for something. He searches everywhere. Tyler arrives.)
- Tyler: What are you doing?
- Mason: Nothing, just killing time, waiting for you.
- Tyler: You looking for something?
- Mason: Yeah actually. You know where I can find any family artifact stuff? Heirlooms?
- Tyler: You drained your trust fund already?
- Mason: I did that when I was 22. No, I'm just looking for this old piece of my mom's. My dad gave it to her when they got married. It's a sentimental value. Probably passed down to your dad. It just still be in the house here somewhere.
- Tyler: What's it look like?
- Mason: It's a moon stone; it's about the size of a hockey puck. Old, ugly, minimal monetary value.
- Tyler: Hey man, whatever. Ask my mom I guess.
- Mason: Yeah, cool, I'll do that. You're ready?
- Tyler: Yeah.
[At the Mystic Falls high school.]
(Jeremy is buying popcorn. Damon arrives)
- Damon: Jeremy, it's so good to see you alive.
- Jeremy: Aren't you a little old for a high school carnival?
- Damon: A hundred and fifty years too old.
- Jeremy: You're pretty funny cracking jokes when I could I don't know...blow the whole lid off this thing by telling someone what you really are.
(Damon catches him and takes him away from the crowd.)
- Damon: So please tell me that that is not a threat.
- Jeremy: Maybe it is.
(He shows him the ring and Damon chokes him from behind.)
- Damon: This is what we're not gonna do: we're not gonna walk around like we are invincible when it's this easy for me to end you. (He releases him) If you want to tell people what I really am go ahead and try. (Damon holds up Jeremy's ring; he stole it from his hand) I will shove this ring so far up your ass, you'll really have something to choke on
(He throws the ring at Jeremy and leaves.)
[At the Mystic Falls hospital.]
(Caroline is dressed and on the phone)
- Caroline: The doctor said I'm good as new. He signed me out. He said that I didn't have to wait 'til morning, so call me when you get this.
(She hangs up; the nurse is sitting on Caroline's bed. She has a bandage on her wound on the neck)
- Caroline: It's dark, thank god. I'm so sorry about that.
(She looks at the bandage)
- Caroline: Okay, now what's the story?
- Nurse: My husband likes to get kinky.
- Caroline: Yes, good. Okay, so I'm gonna take off. I'm the commitee chair for the carnival and I'm worried it's a complete disaster. I mean god bless Elena, she does not understand the word fabulous. (She takes her bag) Once again I'm so sorry about that and if you could just forget that I bit you that would be great because I'm going to...
- Nurse:(compulsion affected her) Forget what?
- Caroline: I don't know how that works but it's brilliant. (She leaves)
[At the Mystic Falls high school.]
(Damon is looking at Tyler who is arm wrestling. Stefan arrives.)
- Stefan: You're lurking.
- Damon: I'm observing.
- Stefan: More like obsessing.
- Damon: He's got strength.
- Stefan: He's a triple letter varsity athlete, of course he has strength. You're reaching.
(Mason arrives to do arm wrestling against Tyler.)
- Mason: I bet I could beat you.
- Damon: Enter the uncle.
- Stefan: That's ridiculous.
(Mason beats him.)
- Tyler: Okay, he's the champ, who wants to go next?
- Damon: Stefan wants to go.
- Stefan: Yeah, sure, I'll...give it a shot.
(Stefan joins Mason.)
- Damon: Get him Stef!
- Stefan: My brother over there thinks I can beat you.
- Mason: Your brother's wrong.
(They start the wrestling, both putting in hard pressure. Mason beats him. Stefan rejoins Damon.)
- Damon: You didn't put in any effort at all.
- Stefan: Yeah, actually I did.
- Damon: Come with me.
(They go in the hallway)
Damon: Is he...?
- Stefan: No, no, it wasn't that kind of strength but it was more than human, if that make sense.
- Damon: What is up with that family? They're not vampires, what the hell are they?
- Stefan: Maybe they're ninja turtles
- Damon: You're not funny
- Stefan: Or zombies, werewolves.
- Damon: No comedic timing at all.
(Damon turns his head and sees Carter repairing something)
- Stefan: What? What are you up to?
- Damon: Since this is reality and there's no such thing as werewolves or combat turtles.
- Stefan: I said ninja turtles, actually.
- Damon: (Damon goes toward Carter) Hey you!
- Carter: I have a name.
- Damon: Yeah I don't care. (He catches his shoulders and compels him) I need you to pick a fight with someone, a kid named Tyler Lockwood.
- Stefan: Damon, don't do this.
- Damon: It's just an experiment. Get him mad, don't back down no matter what he does, okay?
- Carter: I won't back down.
- Damon: I know you won't.
(He releases him, Carter leaves)
- Stefan: Do you realize someone is going to get hurt right?
- Damon: No, someone is going to get mad, as in rage.
- Stefan: What's that going to accomplish?
- Damon: That Tyler kid is incapable of walking away from a fight. Let's see who intervenes, maybe it's the ambiguous, supernatural mystery uncle.
(Damon is walking alone in the hallway when Caroline arrives)
- Damon: Hey Blondie, they let you out?
- Caroline: I remember.
- Damon: What do you remember?
- Caroline: I remember how you manipulated me, you pushed me around, abused me, erased my memories, fed on me.
- Damon: You're crazy.
- Caroline: Memories have been coming back, in pieces.
- Damon: You can't remember. It's impossible, I mean unless you're becoming a...
- Caroline: (She smiles) I have a message from Katherine, she said “Game on”.
- Damon: Wait...
(She pushes him with strength, he falls on the floor.)
- Caroline: You suck. (She leaves)
(Elena is talking with a girl when Damon arrives.)
- Damon: Elena.
- Elena: What do you want, Damon?
- Damon: I know I'm the last person you want to see right now but I need you to come with me.
- Elena: Whatever it is I'm not interested.
- Damon: Yeah, I need you to come with me right now, Elena.
(She follows him)
(Tyler is going in the parking lot; Stefan follows him and hides himself to observe the scene. Carter arrives and pushes Tyler)
- Tyler: Watch where you are going.
- Carter: You got a problem?
- Tyler: Yeah, you walked right into me.
- Carter: What are you going to do about it?
- Tyler: You're kidding right? (Carter pushes him again) You better back off (Carter pushes him) You hit me again, I swear to god...
(Carter punches him in the face. They fight, Mason arrives. Mason pushes Carter away.)
- Mason: Hey Tyler! Tyler! What the hell man?
(Mason struggles with him but Carter punches him in the face and pushes him against a car. Mason makes some supernatural moves, his eyes change, and they are yellow and glow.)
- Tyler: Your eyes.
(Mason hits Carter; he falls on the floor. Mason and Tyler leave, Stefan arrives to help Carter.)
- Stefan: You alright man?
- Carter: Why did I just do that?
- Stefan: You were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
(Caroline rejoins Matt at the ring toss)
- Matt: What are you doing here?
- Caroline: They discharged me, all better.
- Matt: How do you feel?
- Caroline: I feel pretty good.
- Matt: Yeah, 'cause earlier you were...
- Caroline: I'm all better. (She kisses him) All better.
- Matt: Okay, you want to give it a shot?
(He gives him one of the rings. She throws it at a bottle, and she breaks 3 bottles)
- Matt: Woah, hey, nice shot, killer.
- Caroline: They must already have been broken.
(He embraces her. She looks at his neck)
- Caroline: Oh no.
- Matt: What’s wrong?
Caroline: I got to go. (She leaves and he follows her)
- Matt: Wait Care, are you okay, I mean...
- Caroline: Just leave me alone! (She leaves)
(Elena, Stefan and Damon are in a classroom talking about Caroline.)
- Stefan: How did this happen?
- Damon: Well, I fed her blood and Katherine obviously killed her and A plus B equals...
- Elena: But why?
- Damon: Because Katherine is a manipulative nasty little slut.
- Stefan: And she said “game on”? What is that even mean?
- Damon: It means she's playing dirty, she wants us to know.
- Elena: But why Caroline?
- Damon: I don't know.
- Stefan: Caroline must be completely out of her mind, she doesn't even know what's happening to her.
- Damon: Oh I think she does. All of my compulsion from the past started wearing off the minute she was in transition.
- Stefan: We have to find her.
- Damon: Yep and kill her.
- Elena: You're not gonna kill Caroline.
- Damon: She knows who we are. She's officially a liability, and we've got to get rid of her.
- Stefan: Damon, absolutely not.
- Damon: Need I remind you of a tragic little story of a girl named Vicki Donovan? Caroline, of all people, will not make it as a vampire. Her mother is a vampire hunter. Guys come on, we all know how this story's gonna end, just flip to the last chapter and...
- Elena: It's not an option Damon.
- Damon: No? Your silence is deafening, Stefan. Wait, wasn't there a school carnival the night you staked Vicki? Talk about a town where story repeats herself. You know I'm right.
- Stefan: We're not gonna kill her.
- Damon: It's the only way.
(Stefan and Elena leave)
(Caroline is alone crying when she sees Carter. He's bleeding. She realizes she wants his blood and giving in.)
- Carter: Hey, is everything okay?
- Caroline: I'm so sorry.
- Carter: What? (She rushes over him and bites him. She drinks his blood and kills him.)
(Matt is talking with Bonnie)
- Matt: She's obviously pissed at me for something but for what, no clue.
- Bonnie: What happened?
- Matt: She freaked out and she's been like that all day. Cool one minute and crazy and neurotic the next.
- Bonnie: She almost died, it's bound to mess with her head. Plus, she's Caroline.
- Matt: Yeah, I'm used to the insecurities and all that. It's who she is, love it or hate it but this seemed I don't know...different. I can't explain it.
(Damon is looking for Caroline; he finds a stake on the floor. He takes it. Elena and Stefan are looking for her too.)
- Elena: You agree with Damon, don't you? Stefan?
- (Stefan punches the side of a trailer.)
- Elena: Stefan. Hey.
- Stefan: Damon's right, not about what we should do but about what's gonna happen. Katherine's already decided Caroline's death sentence.
- Elena: We can't let it end that way. She's doing this to me, isn't she?
- Stefan: No, she's doing it to me.
[At the Lockwood's mansion.]
(Mason and Tyler are entering the house.)
- Tyler: Well, we're home. Safe territory, enough with the silence.
- Mason: I told you to leave it alone.
- Tyler: What was that move you pulled?
- Mason: Brazilian martial arts, I took some classes a while back.
- Tyler: Don't lie to me!
- Mason: I'm not lying.
- Tyler: I saw something!
- Mason: You didn't see anything.
- Tyler: I saw your eyes, they glowed.
- Mason: Reflection of a car headlight maybe, that's all.
- Tyler: Reflection of a car headlight...
- Mason: Yes.
- Tyler: You really expect me to believe that?
- Mason: Tyler! You want to know what you saw? You saw me get pissed off that I had to pull your delinquent ass out of a fight!
[At the Mystic Falls high school.]
(Stefan and Elena are still looking for Caroline. Stefan notices something different in the air.)
- Elena: Where could she be? (sees Stefan) What is it? Do you hear her? What's going on Stefan, what is it?
- Stefan: Blood, I can smell blood.
(Caroline is crying next to Carter's body. Damon arrives. She has blood all over her face.)
- Caroline: He's dead. I killed him. What's wrong with me? (She cries)
- Damon: Hey, hey it's okay. I can help you.
- Caroline: You can?
- Damon: Yeah, I have to.
- Caroline: What are you gonna do?
- Damon: The only thing I can do. I'm gonna kill you.
- Caroline: Please don't! I don't want to die!
- Damon: Yeah, but you are already dead.
- Caroline: No! I'm not. Don't say that, okay? Just help me!
- Damon: Okay.
- Caroline: Okay? Just help me please! Please, please!
- Damon: Okay, okay.
(He embraces her and is about to kill her with the stake but Stefan arrives and rushes over to stand between them.)
- Damon: Stefan!
(Elena is standing with Caroline)
- Caroline: (thinks Elena is Katherine) Get away from me! You killed me!
- Elena: No, no, no, no Caroline! That wasn't me. You know that! That was Katherine.
- Caroline: No! Then why did she look like you?! And why, why did she do this to me?
- Elena: Stefan, we've got to get her inside.
- Stefan: It's okay Caroline, come with me.
- Damon: She'll die, it's only a matter of time.
- Stefan: Yeah, maybe so, but it's not gonna happen tonight.
- Damon: Oh yeah it is.
(He picks up the stake and rushes over them but Elena puts herself in front of Caroline.)
- Elena: Damon, she's my friend.
(Damon hesitates, staring at Elena who refuses to move. Then he drops his arm.)
- Damon: Whatever happens, it's on you.
- Bonnie: Caroline?
- Stefan: It's okay, come on.
- Bonnie: (sees the blood on Caroline's face) No, you're not; you can't be. (She touches her and is horrified by the truth)
- Caroline: Bonnie?
(She sees the body)
- Bonnie: Oh god!
- Caroline: Bonnie...
(Stefan takes Caroline away from the area to the bathroom. He takes some tissues to wipe the blood of her face. Caroline starts washing away the blood too.)
- Caroline: She hates me! Bonnie hates me.
- Stefan: No, she's just in shock, we all are.
- Caroline: And what about Matt? (She cries)
- Stefan: Hush. One thing at one time, let's get this blood off, come on.
- Caroline: I'm a m-m-murderer. I'm a monster!
- Stefan: Look at me, your emotions are heightened right now, it's part of the transformation, it's completely normal, I promise you okay?
(Caroline sees her face changing in the mirror and starts to panic.)
- Caroline: Why does this keeping happening to my face?!
- Stefan: Look at me, look at me, look at me! Caroline, Caroline! Look at me! Look at my face, look at my face! (His face has changed too) You see that? When you feel the blood rushing, you tell yourself that you're going to get through it, that you're strong enough. Yes, yes, no matter how good it feels to give yourself over to it, you fight it off, you bury it. Watch me, watch me. (His face is normal again) It's the only way you're gonna survive this thing. Try.
(She takes a few breaths, her face is normal again.)
- Stefan: That's good
- Caroline: Why did Katherine do this to me?
- Stefan: I don't know, I wish I did. Hey, hey, I promise you I will not let anything happen to you. Come here. (He embraces her)
[Elena is still with Bonnie.]
- Bonnie: I can't believe this is happening.
(Damon arrives with a shovel in his hands.)
- Damon: Come on, don't pout about it, I've got a body to bury.
(He looks at Elena)
- Damon: I thought you were calling the shots, no? It sucks to be you, buddy.
(Bonnie looks at him and gives him a headache; he takes his head between his head and falls on the floor. She opens the faucet with her powers and water is going out from the hose.)
- Bonnie: I told you what would happen if anyone else got hurt.
- Damon: I didn't do this.
- Elena: Bonnie, it wasn't his fault.
- Bonnie: Everything that happens is his fault Elena.
- Elena: Bonnie, what are you doing?
(She creates a fire, the fire goes toward Damon)
- Elena: Bonnie stop it!
(Damon is burning)
- Elena: Bonnie, Bonnie, stop it! You're going to kill him!
(Damon is still burning)
- Elena: Bonnie!
(She jumps over the fire line and catches Bonnie's arm. The fire is vanquished as Bonnie's concentration is broke.)
- Bonnie: Why did you stop me?!
- Elena: Because this isn't us. Bonnie, this can't be us.
(Elena looks at Damon and embraces Bonnie. They leave.)
[Elena is at her locker. Stefan arrives.]
- Stefan: Hey. Caroline is okay for now, I'm gonna check in on her later.
- Elena: What about the guy that she...
- Stefan: It's taken care of.
- Elena: Damon's right, isn't he? It won't end well for her.
- Stefan: No, I'm gonna make sure that he's wrong.
- Elena: I just can't believe what this day has turned into.
- Stefan: Not your normal day, huh?
- Elena: I was stupid to think that it could be. I mean, nothing about my life is normal. My best friend is a witch, my friend is a vampire and I have a doppelgänger who's hell-bent on destroying all of us.
- Stefan: I'm sorry.
- Elena: No, it's not your fault, Stefan. It's no one's fault you know? It is what it is.
(He touches her face)
- Elena: I'm fine, I'm fine. It's just that… you know what? I'm fine. I'm gonna to call you tomorrow, okay? Good night Stefan. (She leaves)
- Stefan: Good night
[At the Lockwood's mansion]
(Mason is talking with Carol)
- Carol: I think it's good for Tyler to have you in the house.
- Mason: I appreciate that Carol.
- Carol: Oh, and I can see If I can dig up that stone you're looking for. It's bound to be tucked away in one of Richard's nooks and crannies.
(She goes up the stairs, Tyler arrives.)
- Mason: Hey man, you heading up?
- Tyler: In a minute. Good night mom.
- Carol: Good night Tyler. (leaves)
- Mason: Hey, I'm sorry about earlier, we're all good?
- Tyler: Yeah, we're good.
- Mason: Alright.
(He leaves. Tyler goes into his father's office, closes the door and opens his father's safe hiding under the carpet. He takes a box inside and opens it. There's the moonstone Mason is looking for inside. He takes it from the box and puts it in his pocket.)
[At the Salvatore Boarding house]
(Damon is pouring a glass of scotch. Jeremy is there behind him.)
- Damon: What the hell are you doing here?
- Jeremy: You don't lock your front door.
- Damon: Yeah.
(Damon is going to drink)
- Jeremy: No I wouldn't...I laced it with vervain.
- Damon: Why would you do that?
(Jeremy has a stake in his hands)
- Jeremy: So I could stake you… with this.
(He throws the stake on the floor. Damon picks it up)
- Damon: You came here to kill me?
- Jeremy: It's only fair, you killed me first.
- Damon: What made your wisen up?
- Jeremy: My father hated vampires, my uncle too. They were absolute they knew exactly what they stood for and I figured maybe I should too. I mean, stand for something but killing you, what's that gonna do?
- Damon: Look, I don't do the big brother thing very well. Sorry, I don't have any milk and cookies to offer you.
- Jeremy: Dick.
(He turns to leave.)
- Damon: Wait. My father hated vampires too.
- Jeremy: He did?
- Damon: For the same reasons your dad did. Only it was 1864, people knew how to whittle.
(He shows him the stake)
- Damon: Did you do this?
- Jeremy: Yeah I tried; it's a lot harder than it looks.
[At the Forbes' house.]
(Caroline is laying on her bed when someone opens the window. She goes next to the window with her super speed. It's Matt.)
- Caroline: What are you doing here?
- Matt: I came to see if today's basket case period has expired.
- Caroline: You know you should just go 'cause my mom is gonna be home soon.
- Matt: You've been dodging me all day. I mean, I'm more insecure than you are now.
- Caroline: What do you mean?
- Matt: It means that...you almost died and it really freaked me out and it got me thinking you know 'cause...I'm not in a position where I can lose someone else right now. I realized, even though today I wanted to throttle you, I'm pretty sure that I'm in love with you and now it seems like you don't feel the same way.
(She kisses him and they embrace each other. Her face is changing so she takes a few breaths and her face becomes normal again.)
[At the Gilbert's house.]
(Elena is sleeping; Stefan enters the room by the window. He kisses her on the cheek, she wakes up.)
- Elena: Hi. What time is it?
- Stefan: It's almost dawn. Come with me.
[At the Mystic Falls high school.]
(They are at the carnival. It's empty.)
- Elena: Stefan what are we doing here? We could get caught.
- Stefan: I compelled the guard to on break so I could kiss my girlfriend at the top of the Ferris wheel.
- Elena: Stefan...
- Stefan: We have to take these moments, Elena. What Katherine did to Caroline could just be the beginning and there are things with Tyler's family that we don't even understand yet and there's always the “D” word but I came back to this town to start a life with you. We can't forget to live it.
- Elena: But Stefan, how are we gonna get to the top?
- Stefan: I guess you'll just have to hold on tight.
(She holds on and Stefan jumps to the top of the Ferris wheel and sits down. She laughs.)
- Elena: What?
- Stefan: It's just so nice to see you laugh.
- Elena: It's not going to get any easier, is it?
- Stefan: No, it's not.