|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 2, Episode 2|
|Air date||September 16, 2010|
|Written by||Brian Young|
|Directed by||John Dahl|
|Episode Guide Transcript|
Bad Moon Rising
THE CARNIVAL FROM HELL — When a confused and desperate Caroline leaves the hospital and joins her friends at the Mystic Falls Carnival, Damon wants to take immediate action, but Stefan and Elena come to Caroline’s defense. Matt is completely mystified by Caroline's behavior, but still tries to tell her about his feelings for her. Damon has suspicions about Tyler's Uncle Mason and uses Tyler’s volatile personality in an attempt to get Mason to reveal his secret. Upset with everything going on around her, Bonnie takes her anger out on Damon.
|Caroline awakens disoriented in her hospital room, gets up and walks out into the hall. A nurse tells her to go back in her room but instead, she goes into a room where she smells blood from a blood transfusion bag and steals it. She drinks the blood and transitions into a vampire, not yet comprehending what has happened to her.
Elena and Bonnie are helping set up the carnival. Bonnie interrogates Elena about Katherine, but Elena just wants to do normal things and not worry about vampires for a while. At school, Stefan gives Jeremy some vervain to protect himself. Elena arrives and shares her desire for more normalcy and less supernatural drama with Stefan. At the Lockwood's, Carol asks Damon to take charge of the council and he agrees. Mason asks Tyler about what happens when his anger gets out of control. At the hospital, Caroline discovers that her skin burns in the sun and starts to panic when Matt tells her they won't release her until the next morning. At the boarding house, Stefan and Damon touch base, and Damon admits his suspicion about a Lockwood family secret. After Matt leaves the hospital, Caroline unwittingly compels the nurse to release her in the evening.
At the carnival, Bonnie and Elena discuss the event's success and wrangle a carnival worker to help fix something. At the Lockwood mansion, Mason asks Tyler about family heirlooms. At the carnival, Damon and Jeremy exchange threats. Caroline finishes compelling the nurse with a cover story and leaves the hospital. Damon watches Tyler and Mason arm wrestle at a carnival booth and suggests that Stefan challenge Mason. Surprised that Stefan loses, Damon's curiosity about the Lockwoods intensifies. As an experiment, Damon compels a carnival worker to pick a fight with Tyler. Caroline shows up at the school, delivers Katherine's message to Damon and reveals that she's a vampire.
In the parking lot, Stefan watches the compelled man fight with Tyler but Mason intervenes, helping Tyler. Mason crouches and jumps with amazing speed and Tyler sees the color of his eyes change. Meanwhile, Damon shares his new-found information about Caroline with Stefan and Elena and suggests to kill her.
Caroline has trouble controlling her strength in front of Matt, and later runs into the same carnival worker from earlier. She can't control her hunger, so she feeds on him and kills him. Tyler and Mason get back to their house, and Tyler grills Mason about what happened during the fight, but Mason remains tight-lipped and says Tyler only seen him get pissed because he had to pull Tyler out of a fight.
Damon finds Caroline crying, blood all over her face and the worker's body at her side. Caroline begs for her life, so Damon soothes her while preparing to stake her through the back. Stefan appears and stops Damon, while Elena stands in front of Caroline when Damon tries to have another go at her. Bonnie arrives and sees the body and a vampire Caroline. Stefan takes Caroline away to help her calm down and get cleaned up. Bonnie blames Damon for what has happened, and uses magic to give him painful aneurysms and lights a fire that spreads on the ground. Elena stops Bonnie and comforts her, walking her away from Damon.
Elena and Stefan touch base, and she tells him goodnight. Tyler finds the moonstone Mason was asking about and pockets it. Damon finds Jeremy at the Boarding House armed with a wooden stake, though he decided against using it before Damon arrived. Matt sneaks in Caroline's house asking why she has been acting so weird around him and confesses he loves her. Stefan goes to Elena's room and takes her out to the Ferris wheel a little before dawn so he can fulfill her wish of kissing him on top of the Ferris wheel. They acknowledge that life isn't going to get any easier any time soon.
- Antagonist: Damon Salvatore and Caroline Forbes.
- This is the first and only episode to date to feature Caroline as an antagonist.
- This is the first episode since History Repeating to feature Damon as the main antagonist.
- This is the only episode in Season Two to feature Damon as an antagonist. He would not return to this role until Disturbing Behavior.
- This episode is Caroline-centric.
- Caroline becomes the second female main character to turn into a vampire, after Vicki.
- Caroline uses compulsion for the first time in the series and makes her first kill as a vampire: Carter.
- Bonnie blames Damon for Carter's death and tries to kill him, but Elena stops her.
- Elena keeps both Caroline and Damon from being killed.
- This is the second time Elena saves Damon life in the series. The first time was in Season One's Bloodlines.
- It is never explained how Caroline got invited into her own house without Liz getting suspicious. Though it is shown that at some point Stefan had been invited in.
- Vicki Donovan is mentioned by Damon. She was last seen in Haunted.
- Stefan jokes about the Lockwood family being werewolves in this episode. It is later confirmed that they do, in fact, belong to a werewolf bloodline.
- When Stefan arm wrestles Mason and loses, he and Damon discuss Mason's strength, and Stefan jokes that Mason and Tyler could be ninja turtles. This is a reference to the 1980s franchise Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which featured a band of humanoid turtles who fought crime.
- Brave New World is a novel by Aldous Huxley, first published in 1932. The title is derived from Shakespeare's play, The Tempest.
- Team Jacob refers to Jacob, a character in Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga.
- Bart and Homer are characters in The Simpsons.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 3.04 million viewers in the USA which was 0.31 million less than the previous episode.
- The series finale of NBC's TV show Heroes shared the same name. It also involved a carnival.
- Katherine, Jenna and Alaric do not appear in this episode.
- Mason meets Stefan for the first time in this episode.
- The nurse from The Night of the Comet returns in this episode. This is also her last appearance in the series.
- Elena: "I'm human and I have to do human stuff, otherwise I'll go crazy."
- Bonnie: "We have to make Caroline proud or she will kill us."
- Jeremy: "I was killed by a vampire and brought back by a magic ring. How do you move forward from that?"
- Mason: "Is there a pattern? Like, once a month, only at night?"
- Damon: "Aren't you worried that one day all the forest animals are gonna band together and fight back? I mean surely they do talk."
- Stefan: "I'm just happy that's a, um, a blood bag and not a sorority girl supplying your dinner."
- Bonnie: "The ring toss is out of Bart and Homer dolls and "Team Jacob" Ts."
- Stefan: "Maybe they're ninja turtles."
- Damon: "You're not funny."
- Stefan: "Or— no—zombies. Werewolves."
- Damon: "No comedic timing at all."
- Damon: "Need I remind you of a tragic little story of a girl named Vicki Donovan. Caroline of all people will not make it as a vampire. Her mother's a vampire hunter. Guys, come on, we all know how this story ends, so let's just flip to the last chapter and…"
- Elena: "Nothing about my life is normal. My best friend is a witch, boyfriend's a vampire and I have a doppelgänger who's hell-bent on destroying all of us."
- Damon: "My father hated vampires, too. Same reason your dad did. Only it was 1864. People knew how to whittle."