|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 1, Episode 11 (11)|
|Air date||January 21, 2010|
|Written by|| Sean Reycraft (Story)|
Kevin Williamson & Julie Plec (Teleplay)
|Directed by||David Barrett|
|Episode Guide (Transcript)|
The Turning Point
|“||Did Stefan think that he could use me to replace her.||”|
STEFAN UNCOVERS A STARTLING CLUE TO THE PAST —- Damon takes a trip to Georgia with Elena, where he surprises an old flame, Bree, and enlists her help to figure out how to open the tomb. In the process, Damon comes face to face with someone who is determined to make him pay for past wrongs. Stefan opens up to Bonnie's grandmother in his effort to help Bonnie overcome her fears and accept her powers. While researching his history paper in the public library, Jeremy meets a cute but geeky girl named Annabelle who has her own theories on the folklore of Mystic Falls. When Damon returns from Georgia, Stefan is waiting with news that will change their world.
|After the events of the previous episode, Elena is trapped in her car while the mysterious figure approaches. She screams and suddenly the stranger runs away as Damon appears and gets her free. Damon asks her if she is fine and Elena says: "I look like her" and faints. Damon picks her up and goes to his car.
Alaric stares at a picture of his wife as he remembers moments he lived with her. He knows that there is evil in Mystic Falls and that he was right to come here. He later meets Jeremy at the school's parking lot. Jeremy informs him that he found a journal from the 1800s, something that seems to be interested in.
Meanwhile, Elena wakes up in Damon's car wondering what happened and where they are. Damon takes her with him to Georgia and despite Elena demands to take her back to Mystic Falls he declines and pulls over. Elena's phone rings, Damon answers it and it's Stefan who worries about her especially since she doesn't have her vervain necklace anymore. Elena doesn't want to talk to him and Damon hangs up on him. He promises Elena he won't compel her and she agrees to continue traveling with him. Stefan finds Bonnie and asks her to help him find Elena. He gives her Elena's necklace to make a spell but when she tries nothing happens. She leaves and goes to her grandmother to ask her why she doesn't have her powers anymore. Her grandmother tells her that she has to face what scared her, so Bonnie leaves and goes to the Fell's Church where Emily destroyed the crystal.
Damon and Elena arrive at a bar where Damon is old friends with the owner, Bree. Bree is a Witch and Damon came to ask her help so he can bring Katherine back. They all have fun and drink and at one moment Elena goes outside to call Jenna and inform her that she is fine and that she slept at Bonnie's. Inside the bar, Damon finally tells Bree what he wants and she tells him that he needs the crystal to open the tomb. Damon doesn't have the crystal and wants to know if they can use a different spell but to do that, the witch has to be blood related to Emily.
Jeremy is at the school's library looking for information about his paper when he meets Anna. The two of them start talking and Anna also tells him that she also has an old journal and she believes that the stories about vampires are real. Jeremy doesn't believe in vampires and tries to convince her that those stories are just fiction. Stefan calls Elena who is still angry and demands to know how she is connected to Katherine. Stefan tells her that he doesn't know while Damon overhears the conversation and appears next to Elena when she hangs up the phone. Bree takes the opportunity of Damon being outside and calls someone to let them know that Damon is there.
Bonnie gets to the Fell's Church but while she is looking around, she falls into a hole in the ground, inside the tomb. At the same time, Stefan goes to Bonnie's grandmother's house and asks for her. Grams Sheila senses that he is a vampire after touching his hand and knowing that she can trust him, she tells him that he knows where to find Bonnie. Stefan goes to Fell's Church, finds Bonnie and gets her out of the tomb. While being in the tomb, Bonnie was hearing noises coming behind a door with a pentagram drawn on it, something that tells Stefan about. He assures her that while the vampires are still barely alive, they are weak and desiccated and locked safely. Stefan brings Bonnie back home and safe and Sheila thanks him. The two of them seem to know each other from some years ago.
Back at the bar, a mysterious figure walks in and exchanges a look with Bree. Elena walks outside once again to answer her phone, when a man grabs her and drags her away. Damon notices her absence and goes out to look for her. He sees Elena but when he tries to help her, the man beats him with a baseball bat and starts dousing him with gasoline. Elena tries to save Damon's life while the man tells her that Damon killed his girlfriend, Lexi. Elena manages to convince him not to kill Damon and the man runs away. Damon, before leaving to return to Mystic Falls, confronts Bree because she betrayed him and set him up. Bree explains that she did it because Lexi was her friend and warns him that her blood is full of vervain but she is still scared of him. In an attempt to save her life, she tells him that Emily's spell book holds the secret to reverse the spell. He apologizes and then rips her heart out.
Elena and Damon are back to Mystic Falls and Elena finally talks to Stefan asking him the truth and if he was with her because of her resemblance to Katherine. Stefan explains that she is nothing like Katherine and he noticed that before they even met. He reveals to her that he was there the night she had the accident with her parents and that he was the one who saved her. He tried to save her parents as well but it was too late. Since then he begun watching her to be sure that she was not Katherine and he figured out how different she was from her.
Elena is shocked but she keeps wondering why the two of them look so much alike and if they are related. Stefan explains that he was wondering the same thing and that her last name (Gilbert) confused him because Katherine's was different (Pierce). He then discovered that Elena is adopted but he didn't want to start asking people about Katherine's family because it was dangerous. Elena gets back home and is mad at Jenna for never telling her she was adopted. Jenna is shocked and tries to explain that she promised not to tell but Elena doesn't want to hear her.
The episode ends with Alaric sitting at the bar. He remembers the night his wife died, when he got into the room and saw a vampire drinking from her. He recognizes that vampire to the one who's sitting few feet away from him; Damon.
Special Recurring Star
- Antagonist: None.
- Elena is revealed to be adopted in this episode.
- However, Elena doesn't discover who her biological parents are until later. In A Few Good Men, Elena learns that her biological mother is Isobel Flemming, Alaric Saltzman's estranged wife; and, in Founder's Day, she learned that she is still a Gilbert by blood, as her biological father is John Gilbert, Grayson Gilbert's brother.
- This episode marks the first and last appearance of Bree and Lee.
- Bree is shown to be the first and only witch, in this episode only, to injest vervain to protect herself from a vampires compulsion. This implies a witch must learn how to protect themselves from compulsion.
- Bonnie's house number is 2136 (her house door is shown in this episode).
- Elena and Damon take their first road trip together in the series, which marks the beginning of their friendship.
- Atlanta, Georgia (where The Vampire Diaries is filmed) is seen in the series for the first time. The next time Atlanta will be seen is when Caroline and Enzo go there in the Season Five episode Rescue Me to kill Stefan's doppelgänger, Tom Avery.
- Bree mistakenly assumes Elena and Damon are a couple. Elena attempts to tell her that she is dating Stefan but decides to let Bree believe what she wants.
- This could be considered foreshadowing the complicated relationship that Elena and Damon would eventually come throughout the series following this episode.
- Elena is shown to have a high tolerance for alcohol in this episode, as one patron in Bree's Bar says she should be on the floor as a result of the amount she had drunk.
- Damon tells Elena that vampires can't procreate despite their fondness for trying.
- He also establishes that vampires can eat and drink human foods and beverages with no difficulties as long as they still consume some kind of blood as well.
- Elena learns she's a descendant of Katherine in this episode, though it's not confirmed until Season Two's Katerina.
- This episode marks the first formal appearance of Anna. Although unseen, she played a key role in previous episodes—specifically Lost Girls and The Turning Point—as she was the then-mysterious vampire who sired Logan Fell.
- It is revealed that every couple of years, Stefan would visit Mystic Falls to see Zach and his home.
- Stefan reveals that he was the one who saved Elena from drowning at Wickery Bridge on the night her family's car went into the water. No one knew how she survived up until this confession.
- Elena's father appears to have known that Stefan was a vampire when he attempted to rescue the Gilberts even though they had not met each other before.
- This is Lee's only appearance in the show; he is never seen or talked about again.
- Anna tells Jeremy that there has been a string of "animal attacks" periodically in and around Mystic Falls for the past 75 years up until now in 2010.
- This is the first episode to air in 2010.
- This is the first episode in which we see heart extraction being used as a method to kill, as Damon used heart extraction to kill Bree at the end of the episode.
- The actress that plays Bree is fan favorite Gina Torres. In addition to extensive television work including Firefly and Angel, she has appeared in films such as Serenity as well as the second and third installments in The Matrix trilogy. She also provided voice-work for several animated television series and video games.
- The Lost Boys, the first vampire movie to portray the vampire "lifestyle" as something to be desired. The movie's tagline, "Party all night, Sleep all Day [...]" is exactly what some teenagers would see as an ideal party standard, and not something dreadful. It also seems to be the take on vampire life that Damon chose.
- Near Dark, another vampire movie. Coincidentally, both movies feature "good guys" who join a vampire group because of a girl they fell in love with. Just like how Damon and Stefan both fall for Katherine.
- Bloodlines is the 20th episode of the ninth season of the series Supernatural as a backdoor pilot for a proposed spin-off titled Supernatural: Bloodlines for The CW that was not picked up for the 2014-2015 season.
- Bloodlines is the 22nd episode of the seventh season of the series Star Trek: The Next Generation which aired in 1994.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 3.68 million viewers in USA, which was 0.11 million more than the previous episode.
- Damon and Elena drive to Atlanta, Georgia which is conveniently where The Vampire Diaries is filmed.
- Alaric: "I found one. After years of research and study, there it was, right in front of me. I was terrified. As I stared it in the eyes, I drove a stake through its heart. I was right about Mystic Falls. There is evil here. I can sense it, feel it. It's everywhere."
- Damon: "Morning."
- Elena: "Where are we?"
- Damon: "In Georgia."
- Elena: "Georgia? No, no, no we're not. Seriously, Damon, where are we?"
- Damon: "Seriously, we're in Georgia."
- Elena: "What about that man in the road? Was he a..."
- Damon: "From what I could tell, yeah."
- Elena: "You didn't know him?"
- Damon: "If I've never met him, I wouldn't know him. I mean, it's not like we all hang out together at the Vamp Bar and Grill."
- Bree: (about Damon) "Listen up, everybody. Here's to the man that broke my heart, crushed my soul, destroyed my life, and ruined any and all chances of happiness."
- Elena: "How am I connected to Katherine, Stefan?"
- Stefan: "I honestly don't know."
- Elena: "And I'm supposed to believe that?"
- Anna: "Maybe we can have a Fright Night and rent a whole bunch of vampire movies."
- Jeremy: "Uh... Yeah. Yeah, sure."
- Anna: "Why does that sound like a 'No way in hell?'"
- Damon: "Who are you?"
- Lee: "That's perfect. You have no idea."
- Elena: "What are you talking about. What did he do?"
- Lee: "He killed my girlfriend."
- Stefan: "Well your family has a very long history of keeping my secret. I knew that I could trust you, if you believed that I was worthy of your trust."
- Sheila: "Bonnie knows, doesn't she?"
- Stefan: "Yes."
- Sheila: "Well, please understand that our loyalty can only extend so far. This town won't be easy on any of us if they figure it out... and I'll protect my own before anybody else."
- Stefan: "And last spring I was out in the woods by old Wickery Bridge and I heard the accident. All of it. I was fast getting there but not fast enough. The car was already submerged. Your dad, he was still conscious. I was able to get to him, but he wouldn't let me help him until I helped you."
- Elena: "Let's just say that I'm descended from Katherine. Does that make me part-vampire?"
- Damon: "Vampires can't procreate. But we love to try. No, if you were related, it would mean that Katherine had a child before she was turned."
- Elena: "Did Stefan think that he could use me to replace her?"
- Damon: "It's kind of creepy, if you ask me."