|“||Death offers more peace than you deserve. It's better to let you live. And each morning, you will wake knowing your wretched existence continues only by my will. Now go, and live the rest of your days knowing that you are nothing to me.||”|
A BLAST FROM THE PAST — When someone from Hayley’s past makes a startling revelation, she grows concerned for herself and the baby. Amidst growing tensions between them, Klaus and Elijah turn to Sabine for help in locating Hayley, who has gone missing. After making a trip down to the bayou, Klaus has a surprising and dangerous encounter with an unexpected visitor. Meanwhile, Davina makes a surprising connection, and Marcel makes Rebekah an enticing offer that leaves her torn.
|Klaus and Elijah confront Marcel about Hayley's whereabouts, thinking he kidnapped her since he was the last one to see her when he showed up to their home. Marcel tells them he didn't kidnap her and decides to help them by allowing Sabine to do a one time locator spell. They find out she is in the Bayou, which was the home of a pack of werewolves before Marcel drove them out of New Orleans. After finding out he was compelled by Klaus to spy on him, Marcel decides not kill Josh but instead use him as a triple agent to spy on Klaus and has Davina wipe the compulsion from his mind, which is a painful process. It is revealed that Tyler Lockwood was the one who kidnapped Hayley in order to test a prophecy he learned about her and Klaus' baby.
Tyler tells Hayley that her baby can create hybrids, and takes a sample of her blood and injects it into a werewolf named Dwayne who was turned into a hybrid before their eyes. He also reveals that Klaus was aware of this fact and planned to use their child to create him an army of hybrids. After witnessing the truth Tyler tries to kill Hayley and the baby.
She is able to escape by telling Dwayne that Tyler is trying to kill her (revealing that any hybrids created by her and the baby's blood is sired to her and the baby). Marcel tells Rebekah that he is still in love with her, and tries to convince her to help him take down Klaus since Klaus will never allow her to be happy. After she escapes, Hayley runs into Elijah and tells him all what she learned from Tyler. After killing Dwayne, Tyler searches for Hayley and runs into Klaus. They begin to fight. Although he puts up a fight, Tyler is defeated. Instead of killing him, Klaus lets him live with the fact that he only lives because Klaus allows it. Elijah and Hayley meet Klaus at the cabin where Tyler kept Hayley captive. Klaus bites Elijah after they argue over what they learned from Tyler about the baby. Klaus then meets up with Rebekah and tells her she is going to help him overthrow Marcel since not only is she the only person he trusts, but because he knows Marcel still has feelings for her. Tyler meets with Marcel and tells him about Klaus and Hayley's baby.
Special Guest Star
- Antagonist: Tyler Lockwood.
- Narrator: Niklaus Mikaelson.
- This is the first episode in both the The Vampire Diaries and the The Originals universe to feature Tyler as an Antagonist.
- Marcel hosted an event called Fight Night, where vampires fight each other for the chance to get a daylight ring.
- This is the fourth episode of The Originals which has a reference in it to a vampire movie. The four being: Always and Forever for its nod to Bram Stoker's Dracula, Girl in New Orleans which was originally titled Interview With A Vampire and Fruit of the Poisoned Tree, along with this episode, make references to the 1986 movie Fright Night.
- Tyler's appearance in this episode marks the first crossover between The Originals and The Vampire Diaries.
- Marcel learns from Rebekah about the effect killing Original vampires has on their vampiric bloodline. He is now aware that killing Klaus will result in the death of himself and everybody the two of them have ever sired.
- Marcel revealed to Rebekah that he waited for her to return to New Orleans after Mikael found them, and had even gone so far as to start building a house for them.
- When Rebekah didn't return, he decided to use the foundation of the house that had already been built as a prison for the vampires who betrayed him.
- It is revealed that Tyler was the one who kidnapped Hayley in the previous episode, not Marcel, as Klaus, Elijah, Rebekah, and the audience initially thought.
- Tyler reveals that he has witch connections, other than Bonnie Bennett.
- According to Tyler, he met a witch while on the run with Klaus who had nightmare visions of Hayley and Klaus' child, in which Klaus used the child's blood to sire hybrids.
- After Tyler performs an experiment by feeding Hayley and Klaus' baby Hope's blood to a werewolf, Dwayne, and then killing him, it is revealed that Hope's blood can turn werewolves into hybrids as long as the hybrid feeds on her blood again to complete their transition. The hybrids who are sired this way end up developing sire-bonds to either Hayley or Hope. However, Dwayne was killed by Tyler shortly after being turned.
- This would later come back into play in From a Cradle to a Grave, when Hayley died with Hope's blood in her system and subsequently awakened as a hybrid in transition, forcing her to drink a drop of Hope's blood to complete her transformation.
- Tyler meets Marcel for the first time and informs him about the baby and how it might bring the end of the vampires.
- Marcel makes on offer to Rebekah asking her to help him entomb Klaus in the Garden for good.
- Klaus bites Elijah, infecting him with hybrid venom, after a spat over the Klaus' intentions for the baby.
- Davina lifts Klaus' compulsion on Josh so that Marcel can have him spy on Klaus for him.
- Eve leaves Hayley a bible with their family tree in it. Inside it, Hayley's birth name is revealed as Andréa Labonair.
- Josh reveals to Davina that he's gay.
- Josh and Davina form a friendship in this episode.
- Josh manages to persuade Davina to not erase his memories of her despite Marcel's orders.
- Elijah learns that Klaus killed Tyler's hybrid pack and his mother, Carol Lockwood. He also learns about Klaus' feelings for Tyler's ex-girlfriend Caroline Forbes.
- Finn and Kol were both mentioned in this episode.
- Tyler's hybrid pack and Carol Lockwood were last seen in Season Four's O Come, All Ye Faithful. They were all killed by Klaus.
- Caroline was mentioned for the first time, during Klaus and Tyler's confrontation. She was last seen in The Vampire Diaries Season Five's The Cell.
- Sophie and Camille did not appear in this episode.
- Mystic Falls is mentioned by name for the first time in the series. It was alluded to by Sophie in Always and Forever when she was telling Elijah about Hayley meeting Klaus while she was passing through a small town in Virginia.
- New Orleans
Behind the Scenes
- Filming for this episode wrapped on October 9, 2013.
- This episode had about 2.40 million viewers in the USA, which was 0.37 million more than the previous episode.
- Bloodletting is the withdrawal of often small quantities of blood from a patient to cure or prevent illness and disease. Bloodletting was based on an ancient system of medicine in which blood and other bodily fluid were regarded as "humors" that had to remain in proper balance to maintain health. It was the most common medical practice performed by physicians from antiquity until the late 19th century, a span of almost 2,000 years.In Europe the practice continued until the end of the 18th century.
- Bloodletting indiscriminate slaughter; "a bloodbath took place when the leaders of the plot surrendered"; "ten days after the bloodletting Hitler gave the action its name"; "the valley is no stranger to bloodshed and murder"; "a huge prison battle was ordered".
- The same title was used for the eighth episode of AMC's The Walking Dead. In this episode the main characters child's life is at stake.
- The phrase spoken by Marcel in the promo "Welcome to Fight Night" is a play on the phrase "Welcome to Fright Night" spoken by the vampire Jerry Dandridge in the original 1986 movie Fright Night. Interestingly, the Originals share a few similarities with Jerry Dandridge: he is one thousand years old, his sister Regine is also a vampire, one of his present day neighbors is the exact double of his lost love, and some of his mannerisms are quite similar to those of Elijah.
- Fright Night was also subtly referenced in the previous episode Fruit of the Poisoned Tree by Marcel's eating of the apple, something Jerry Dandridge did frequently in Fright Night 1986.
- Bloodletting is an album by the rock band Boxer, released on the Virgin record label in 1979.
- Bloodletting is the eleventh studio album released by the thrash metal band Overkill in the fall of 2000.
- Bloodletting is the name of an album and song from the alternative rock band Concrete Blonde. The song was released on the album in 1990.
- Elijah: (to Niklaus) "I made a promise to protect that girl."
- Rebekah: "What have you done with Hayley?"
- Elijah: (to Marcel) "We've come here for the girl. Give her to us."
- Rebekah: (to Marcel) "Or I will separate your head from your neck."
- Klaus: "You've got to admire this guy."
- Klaus: (to Elijah) "So you do care about her."
- Marcel: (to Rebekah) "You have a choice, starting right now."
- Klaus: "Shall we end this?
- Klaus: "This reeks of someone I thought I was rid of. Hello, Tyler."
- Tyler: "Klaus."
- Klaus: "Let's end this shall we?"