THE SEARCH FOR HAYLEY — Frustrated by the lack of progress made in the search for Hayley, Klaus turns up the heat by taking hostages from each of the three New Orleans supernatural factions. Freya goes to Mystic Falls to check on Hope, who has been sent back to the Salvatore School. Vincent seeks guidance from Ivy after learning that Klaus' erratic behavior is escalating.
- Antagonist: Niklaus Mikaelson.
- Klaus takes a hostage from each of the three New Orleans factions, as a way to test the reaction of each towards Hayley's kidnapping. As both the witches and the werewolves proved willing to help despite their hatred of Klaus, he concludes that someone among the vampires, the only faction who refused to help in anyway, could be responsible for her disappearance.
- Klaus and Marcel put aside their differences and, deciding to take matters in their own hands, restrict the movement of the vampires, confiscating their daylight rings. Any protest is to be meant with immediate execution.
- Their investigation also takes them onto the trail of Hayley's kidnappers, who have apparently taken her because of a hatred of "crossbreeds" such as hybrids. A clue sent to them as a taunt by this shadowy faction contains proof that they have Hayley, a piece of skin with her Crescent birthmark on it, and a coin showing a Nazi swastika.
- David - Heart extraction; killed by Niklaus Mikaelson
- Colette - Drained of blood; killed by Niklaus Mikaelson
- Unnamed Vampire - Decapitated; killed by Niklaus Mikaelson
- Henry was mentioned. He was last seen in One Wrong Turn On Bourbon.
- Hayley was mentioned. She was last seen in Where You Left Your Heart.
- Rebekah and Kol are mentioned. They were last seen in Where You Left Your Heart.
- Alaric Saltzman is mentioned. He was last seen in The Feast of All Sinners.
- Poppy was mentioned. She was last seen in Where You Left Your Heart.
- Elijah was mentioned. He was last seen in Ne Me Quitte Pas.
- Lizzie and Josie Saltzman were indirectly mentioned. They were last seen in I Was Feeling Epic on The Vampire Diaries.
- Keelin was indirectly mentioned. She was last seen in One Wrong Turn On Bourbon.
- Eva Sinclair was indirectly mentioned. She was last seen in Haunter of Ruins.
Behind the Scenes
- "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" is an idiom meaning a dilemma—i.e., to choose between two undesirable situations (equivalent to "between a rock and a hard place").
- "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" is an American song that was released in 1932. It became a very popular song and many musicians had songs with the exact same name. Including George Harrison who was known from the band the Beatles.