It was Frederick who turned Bethanne, but the date of her transition into a vampire is still unknown. She was one of the vampires caught in the 1864 vampire round-up who were meant to be destroyed in a fire set upon Fell's Church. However, due to Emily Bennett's spell, Bethanne and the other vampires meant to be burned in the fire were instead sealed into the tomb, protecting them from dying in the flames, but trapping them there until the comet used to fuel the spell returned 145 years later. Due to the lack of humans and/or animals on which to feed, Bethanne and the other vampires desiccated into near-mummification during this time.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries series
In A Few Good Men, Harper first saw Bethanne waiting at a bench in the town square after he escaped the tomb, indicating that she escaped the tomb before he did. It also demonstrated that she was a daywalker in possession of a daylight amulet, even despite the fact that her lover Frederick was not. At the end of the episode, when Harper arrived to an unknown farmhouse on the edge of town, Bethanne opened the door to greet him.
In There Goes The Neighborhood, she accompanied Frederick when he left the house for some excitement, disobeying Pearl's rules of staying indoors so as to not arouse suspicions in town while Pearl learned the lay of the town since their return. They first went to the Mystic Grill, where Frederick had difficulty finding a human to feed on who wasn't on vervain. Afterward, Bethanne and Frederick attacked Stefan and Damon at the Salvatore Boarding House, as they blamed the brothers for the vampire round-up and their subsequent imprisonment in the tomb. During the fight, Bethanne was staked to death by Stefan, and when Frederick saw her corpse on the floor, he fled before he could meet the same fate. When he returned to the farmhouse where the tomb vampires were staying, he was forced to admit to Pearl that his excursion into town was what led to Bethanne's death, and Pearl stabbed him in the stomach with a wooden spoon as further punishment for disobeying her orders.
Powers and Abilities
- Super Strength - Vampires are much stronger than humans and grow stronger with time. Even new vampires who are still in transition can toss a fully grown human across a room with great speed and force. Their strength is also more powerful then werewolves that are not in wolf form.
- Super Speed - Vampires can accelerate their movements to cover short distances in an instant, faster than the human eye can see. When running across long distances, they appear as vibrating blurs of motion.
- Emotional Control - The supernatural ability to control and manipulate the emotions of one's self, and others.
- Dream Manipulation - Vampires can control dreams and subconscious. The vampires can produce and modify dreams, bestow nightmares or lucid dreaming. Other effects of this ability is the distortion of reality and trapped in the dreams.
- Heightened Senses - Vampires have extremely keen senses of hearing, sight and smell that far exceed those of humans and werewolves.
- Mind Compulsion - Vampires have the ability to control minds, plague people's dreams, and alter/erase human memories.
- Immortality - A vampire stops aging once turned. Upon their transformation, vampires then on become immune to all conventional illness, disease, virus and infection.
- Healing Factor - Vampires heal extremely quickly, but still feel the pain of a wound before it heals. Vampires can snap their bones back into place after being broken and have been seen to fully recover from gunshots, stab wounds, and torso impalement.The only injury that cannot be healed on its own is a werewolf bite.
- Super Durability - Vampires can take a great amount of damage.
- Lapis Lazuli - She possesses a Lapis Lazuli ring that enables her to walk in daylight without being harmed.
- Fangs - Vampires can grow fangs which they use to feed, they might come out when a vampire is close to blood or angered.
- Decapitation: The act of dismembering or removing the head of a vampire will result in permanent death.
- Fire or Sunlight: The act of exposing a vampire to fire or sunlight will result in permanent death.
- Vervain: The act of exposing or ingesting a vampire with vervain causes a vampire to become severely feverish and weak. Also, If a vampire's skin is exposed to vervain, it can result in burning them. Also vampires can't compel anyone on vervain.
- Wood: The act of wounding a vampire with wood will cause the vampire to become severely weak and if a vampire takes a wooden stake through its heart it will result in permanent death.
- Heart Extraction: The act of extracting or removing the heart of a vampire will result in permanent death.
- Invitation: Vampires cannot enter a home without an invitation by the owner.
- Magic: Vampires are susceptible to the powers of witchcraft including the creation of harmful magical objects.
- Desiccation: Vampires who abstain from blood for extended amounts of time will eventually desiccate into mummification.
- Vampire Bloodline: If an Original vampire dies, all vampires descended from their bloodline will slowly perish.
- Werewolf Bite: The bite of a werewolf is extremely lethal to vampires. It will cause them to hallucinate, grow severely weak and go rabid until it kills them. Klaus' hybrid blood can cure the bite.
- Broken Neck: Breaking a vampires neck is a common way to subdue one, it will not kill them but it will keep them unconscious for several hours and when they are still unconscious they won't have a pulse and appear to be dead.
Bethanne is the Hebrew origin and the meaning is "God's promise".
- Since The Other Side is gone, she most likely found peace or was sent into oblivion.
- While Bethanne's exact age is unknown, it is assumed that she was turned into a vampire in at some point in 1864 during Katherine's time staying at the Salvatore Estate. Even if Bethanne was an older vampire who was turned sometime prior to 1864, she proved to be easy to kill for someone in a moment of rage. Though Stefan was an experienced fighter, he was still at a disadvantage at the time as a result of his animal blood diet, which makes it likely that she wasn't much older than him. In their fight, she knocked him down once, but Stefan easily staked her afterward.