|“||Our family fled Salem in 1692 and relocated here. Our ancestors lived in secrecy for over a hundred years. It's important that we still do.||”|
— Sheila Bennett on the family history
The Bennett Family (Latin: Benedictus, meaning "blessed") is an extremely powerful matriarchy of witches in The Vampire Diaries. The family was originally settled in Salem, Massachusetts, however, after the witch trials began, the family relocated in Mystic Falls in 1692. They have lived in secrecy for over one hundred years. The Bennett Family has been linked to both the Salvatore Family and the Petrova Family since 1st Century B.C.
- Qetsiyah: Qetsiyah (Greek: Kετσιυαη), known as Tessa in the modern times, was born some time in the 1st Century B.C. She is the oldest known ancestor of the Bennett bloodline. She is an extremely powerful witch. She created the first spell of immortality, the cure, and The Other Side. Qetsiyah is a very distant ancestor to all of the Bennett women.
- Qetsiyah's Child/Children (assumed): It's assumed that in order for the Bennett bloodline to have continued, Qetsiyah must have had a child or children before she was killed by The Travelers. Either Qetsiyah had a child(ren) or Qetsiyah had a sibling(s) that would've continued the Bennett bloodline.
- Ayana: Ayana was an ancestor of the Bennett bloodline that lived during the Middle Ages. She was a close friend of the Original witch, Esther. She is a descendant of Qetsiyah.
- Ayana's Child/Children (assumed): In order for the Bennett bloodline to continue, it can be assumed that Ayana had children of her own.
- The Witch of The Five: The Witch of The Five the creator of the Five. She was a descendant or distant relative of Qetsiyah.
- Emily Bennett: Emily was a 4th-great grandmother of Bonnie through Grams. She was the handmaiden of Katherine Pierce, as well as a powerful witch. She made the rings that protect Stefan and Damon from dying in sunlight. Emily and Damon made a deal in 1864; Damon would protect Emily's descendants and Emily would use her grimoire to protect Katherine by entombing her with 26 other vampires under Fell's Church. Emily was burned at the stake by the Founding Families. Emily is a distant descendant of Qetsiyah.
- Emily Bennett's Unnamed Brother: Emily is said to have a brother. Not much is known about his character. He is a distant descendant of Qetsiyah. It is assumed that he is also a warlock.
- Emily Bennett's Unknown Children: It has been said in the show that Emily had children and Damon had protected them over the decades in exchange for Emily protecting Katherine and the tomb vampires. They are all descendants of Qetsiyah.
- Ernestine Bennett: Ernestine is an ancestor of Bonnie. She is a distant descendant of Qetsiyah.
- Amelia Bennett: Amelia is Sheila's mother. She had an affair with Stefan when Sheila was a young woman.
- Sheila Bennett: Sheila is the maternal grandmother of Bonnie and the mother of Abby. Sheila turns out to be a descendant of a long line of women suspected of being witches. Grams is also a witch. In the episode Fool Me Once, she and Bonnie preformed a spell to open the Church doors containing the vampires. After opening the door with a spell that let people in but kept vampires from leaving, she had to open it to set Stefan free. The spell weakened Sheila and she died in bed later that night. Sheila is a distant descendant of Qetsiyah.
- Sheila's Unnamed Sibling: He/She is the sibling of Sheila and the maternal grand aunt/uncle of Bonnie. It is assumed that he/she is a warlock/witch like Sheila. Nothing is known of his/her character, history or background. He/She is a distant descendant of Qetsiyah.
- Pauline Bennett: Pauline is presumably a witch and a descendant, or, at least, distant relative of Emily Bennett. She was the niece of Sheila Bennett, cousin of Abby, aunt of Bonnie, first cousin twice removed of Joanna, and first-cousin three times removed of Lucy. She is also a distant descendant of Qetsiyah.
- Joanna Bennett: Joanna is Lucy's mother and first cousin twice removed of Pauline. She is a distant descendant of Qetsiyah.
- Abby Bennett Wilson: Abby is the daughter of Sheila Bennett and the mother of Bonnie Bennett. She was married to Rudy Hopkins, Bonnie's father. She also has an adoptive son, Jamie. She is a very beautiful woman, but also a troubled one. Her reasons for abandoning Bonnie were because of her then-best friend Miranda Gilbert, Elena's adoptive mother. When Elena was a child, Mikael came to Mystic Falls in search of the doppelgänger. Abby lured him out of town, and cast a powerful spell on him that nearly killed her. She is a very distant descendant of Qetsiyah.
- Lucy (last name unknown): Lucy is Bonnie's distant cousin, and is also a witch. She is the daughter of Joanna, and therefore is related to Sheila Bennett. She helps Katherine to get the moonstone in the episode Masquerade because she owed her a favor. But she ends up weakening her with a spell when she touched the moonstone, when she realized a member of her family (Bonnie), was involved. She is a very distant descendant or distant relative of Qetsiyah.
- Bonnie Bennett: Bonnie was born February 15, 1992 in Mystic Falls, Virginia. She is the daughter of Rudy Hopkins and Abby Bennett and the maternal granddaughter of Sheila Bennett. Bonnie is a powerful witch. She is best friends with Elena Gilbert and Caroline Forbes and is the main love interest of Jeremy Gilbert. In regards to her personality, she is highly opinionated, feisty, determined and she defends her opinion fiercely and is unable to keep quiet about what she thinks is right. This often makes her look like a prejudiced and judgemental person from time to time. She once had the power of a hundred dead witches that she asked for in order to defeat Klaus, but it was soon taken from her when she brought Jeremy back to life and messed with the balance of nature. She is Emily Bennett's descendant and is not on good terms with most of the dead witches since she failed to heed their warnings. Bonnie is also a very distant descendant of Qetsiyah.
- Rudy Hopkins: Was initially presumed to be Sheila's son since Bonnie and Sheila share the same last name, but this was proven untrue when it was shown that Sheila was actually Bonnie's maternal grandmother, not paternal. He is the ex-husband of Abby Bennett. He is human, but has knowledge of witches. He is a Board Member of Whitmore College and is also the current mayor of Mystic Falls. He was killed by Silas in I Know What You Did Last Summer.
|Ayana †||Witch †|
|Emily Bennett †||Emily's Brother †||Ernestine Bennett †|
|Amelia Bennett †|
|Emily's Children †|
|Sheila Bennett †||Sheila's Sibling|
|Abby Bennett Wilson||Rudy Hopkins †||Pauline||Joanna|
- Bennett is an English and Irish language surname related to the medieval given name Benedict, both ultimately from Latin Benedictus "blessed". Bennett is the English spelling of the Anglo-Norman name Ben[n]et (Modern French first name Benoît, surname Bénet).
- The meaning of the name is "blessed" or "one who is blessed".
- Other spellings of the name Bennett include Benet, Benett, Bennet, Benoit, Bennito, Bennt, Bent, Bendick, Bendict, Benedetto, Benedick, Benedicto, Benedictos, Benedictus, Benedikt, Benedikte, Bengt, Benicio, Benito, Bennedict, Bennedikt, Bendek, Bendyk, Benes, Benneit.
- The Bennett family was inspired from the McCullough family in the novels.
- Bonnie says her father's side of the family is boring, though she might be comparing them to the Bennett side.
- The Bennett family are mostly female, and no male members are shown (not including Rudy, who is a Hopkins).
- 3 members of the Bennett family had some type of involvement with the creation of the immortals.
- Qetsiyah helping Silas become the first immortal and Ayana, being Esther's friend and mentor with the latter ended up creating The Originals. Alaric feeds on the blood of Bonnie after Esther turned him in the Enhanced original.
- Only a witch from this family can free Silas and bring down The Veil.
- Since Qetsiyah created The Cure it is highly possible that a witch from this family can create another Cure.
- With Bonnie 's untimely death, there is a wide possibility that the direct Bennett bloodline descended from Qetsiyah is now finished after 2000 years, due to having no direct members to continue the bloodline.