|“||I've heard about you. You don't feed. You're not strong enough to beat me.||”|
Benjamin "Ben" McKittrick was a former high school football player for Mystic Falls High School, but was a few years ahead of Matt, Bonnie, Elena, Tyler and Caroline in school. Ben was also bartender at the Mystic Grill. Later, he was turned to a vampire by Anna, and was killed by Stefan Salvatore.
Ben was a lifelong resident of Mystic Falls, and a former star of the local football team. After high school his friends moved away to go go college, but he didn't, so he became a washed-up jock and began working as a bartender at the Mystic Grill.
Throughout the series
He was turned into a vampire by Anna, a centuries-old vampire who needed a convenient partner with "eyes and ears" around the town to help her with her agenda, which was to free her mother from the vampire tomb under the old Fell's Church. She felt sympathy for Ben's hopelessness regarding where he was going in life.
Pretending still to be human, he continued working as bartender at the Grill and was chivalrous enough to come to Bonnie's aid when she was being bothered by Damon, though this later turned out to be revealed as part of his and Anna's plan. Anna's mother Pearl had been among those rounded up and locked in the tomb in 1864, and she needed a Bennett witch to help her in her quest to open it.
Anna and Ben had a somewhat romantic relationship, although Anna basically used Ben as a tool in her plot. Ben's task to aid Anna in opening the tomb was to seduce and kidnap Bonnie Bennett with the intention to use her to lift her ancestor Emily's spell that kept the tomb sealed. They kidnapped Elena to use as leverage to motivate Bonnie to perform the spell. Both were later rescued by Stefan, who burst into the hotel room where Anna and Ben were staying and burnt Ben with the sunlight through the door. As Ben cowered away from the sun behind a bed, Stefan warned Ben to leave town, though Ben chose to ignore the threat.
Being a newly turned vampire, Ben was boastful and arrogant, reveling in his immortality and newfound strength and speed. It is likely that he was not changed against his will, as when Stefan told him that all Anna cared about was freeing her mother, Ben replied that it didn't matter because she had already given him what he wanted. He told Stefan he wasn't strong enough to beat him because of Stefan's 'vegetarian' diet, which gave him more diminished abilities than vampires who drank human blood, but since he was much older, Stefan easily subdued him and killed him by using a flamethrower to set him ablaze. (Fool Me Once) Anna's reaction, if any, to his death is unknown.
Being a newly turned vampire, Ben was boastful and arrogant, and reveled in his new powers. It is likely that he was not changed against his will, as when Stefan told him that all Anna cared about was freeing her mother, Ben replied that it didn't matter because she had already given him what he wanted. He told Stefan he wasn't strong enough to beat him because of Stefan's "vegetarian" diet, but as Stefan was much older than Ben, he was easily able to kill him by setting him on fire with a flamethrower.
Powers and Abilities
These powers grow stronger with age and human blood.
- Super Strength - Vampires are much stronger than humans and grow stronger with time. Even new vampires who are still in transition can toss a fully grown human across a room with great speed and force. Their strength is also more powerful then werewolves who are not in wolf form.
- Super Speed - Vampires can accelerate their movements to cover short distances in an instant, faster than the human eye can see. When running across long distances, they appear as vibrating blurs of motion.
- Emotional Control - The supernatural ability to control and manipulate the emotions of one's self, and others.
- Dream Manipulation - Vampires can control dreams and subconscious. The vampires can produce and modify dreams, bestow nightmares or lucid dreaming. Other effects of this ability is the distortion of reality and trapping humans and other vampires in their dreams.
- Heightened Senses - Vampires have extremely keen senses of hearing, sight and smell that far exceed those of humans and werewolves.
- Mind Compulsion - Vampires have the ability to control minds, plague people's dreams, and alter/erase human memories.
- Immortality - A vampire stops aging once turned. Upon their transformation, vampires, from then on, become immune to all conventional illness, disease, virus and infection.
- Healing Factor - Vampires heal extremely quickly, but still feel the pain of a wound before it heals. Vampires can snap their bones back into place after being broken and have been seen to fully recover from gunshots, stab wounds, and torso impalement.The only injury that cannot be healed on its own is a werewolf bite.
- Super Durability - Vampires can take a great amount of damage without being slowed down. Even vampires who have been shot with wooden bullets have been seen to continue fighting, as long as they were not shot in the heart.
- Fangs - Vampires can grow fangs, which they use to feed. Their fangs will occasionally come out when a vampire is in close proximity to blood or feeling intensely angry, especially if they are new vampires who have yet to gain complete control over their bloodlust.
- Decapitation: The act of dismembering or removing the head of a vampire will result in permanent death.
- Fire or Sunlight: The act of exposing a vampire to fire or sunlight will result in permanent death within minutes.
- Vervain: The act of exposing or ingesting a vampire with vervain causes a vampire to become severely feverish and weak. Also, if a vampire's skin is exposed to vervain, it can result in severe burns. Also, vampires can't compel anyone who has ingested vervain recently, or who is wearing vervain in some way. Humans who are aware of the vampires existence have been known to wear vervain jewelry, or carry vervain in their hands or pockets.
- Wood: The act of wounding a vampire with wood will cause the vampire to become severely weak, and if a vampire takes a wooden stake through its heart, it will result in permanent death.
- Heart Extraction: The act of extracting or removing the heart of a vampire will result in permanent death.
- Invitation: Vampires cannot enter a home without an invitation by the owner. The owner cannot be a vampire.
- Magic: Vampires are susceptible to the powers of witchcraft, including the creation of harmful magical objects.
- Desiccation: Vampires who abstain from blood for extended amounts of time will eventually desiccate into mummification.
- Vampire Bloodline: If an Original vampire dies, all vampires descended from their bloodline will slowly die off as well.
- Werewolf Bite: The bite of a werewolf is extremely lethal to vampires. It will cause them to hallucinate, grow severely weak, and eventually, they go rabid until it kills them. Klaus' hybrid blood is the only known cure for a werewolf bite in a vampire.
- Broken Neck: Breaking a vampires neck is a common way to subdue them, but it will not kill them; it will only keep them unconscious for several hours. While they are still unconscious, they will not have a pulse and will appear to be dead.
Ben is short form of Benjamin. It is of Hebrew origin, and means "son".
- Ben was the first vampire in the series to be killed with fire.
- Ben was attacked by fire twice -
- First by Bonnie Bennett, who splashed water from a cup onto him and set it on fire.
- Second by Stefan Salvatore, who set him ablaze with a flamethrower.
- Ben was the first man Bonnie was attracted to who was secretly conspiring against her and her friends. The second was Luka Martin.
- The actor who played Ben, Sean Faris, played a character in the Smallville episode, Nocturne, who also avoided sunlight.
- It is not clear if he was a Jerk Jock or a Dumb Jock . Either way, his glory days are over, he is just a bartender in a small town - a Jaded Washout .