|“|| Damon: It makes two of us. My mother threatened to destroy that today. And I didn't stop her.|
Elena: Why not?
Damon: Because your fantasy of five years from now scared the hell out of me. I panicked.
Damon: Because I'm an idiot, and I'm selfish and I'm so in love with you and I don't want to lose you.
Damon: You're gonna take the cure, Elena, and I'm gonna take it with you.
— Damon and Elena, after she discovers the Cure
TO TELL HER OR NOT TO TELL HER – Wrestling with whether or not to tell Elena about the cure, Damon brings up their future together and what life would be like if they weren't vampires. Meanwhile, it’s all hands on deck when attempts to stop a humanity-free Caroline doesn't go as planned. Elsewhere, when Bonnie discovers that Damon has betrayed her trust, she takes matters into her own hands, setting off a chain of events that leaves Damon dealing with the fallout. Lastly, after being forced to face his traumatic past, Enzo sets out for answers and is surprised when he learns the truth about the day he was turned into a vampire. Stefan, Matt and Alaric also appear.
- Antagonists: Caroline Forbes and Lily Salvatore.
- Bonnie steals the Ascendant from the Salvatore House after Damon tells her of Lily having it.
- Bonnie tells Damon that she's finally going to put herself first as she plans to destroy the Ascendant.
- Bonnie realizes Damon is the most scared in his life if he tells Elena about the cure as he might lose her if she becomes human again.
- As a result, Damon doesn't take the Ascendant from her to keep Lily from destroying the cure.
- Stefan gets inside Caroline's head and makes her hallucinate her mother arresting her for the murders she committed before showing her a genuine memory of him and Liz.
- Stefan shows Caroline when her mother told him that she hoped that he'd one day become more than a friend to Caroline.
- Elena finds The Cure. After Lily left it for her find in her bedroom with Damon in the Salvatore house so as to cause problems between her and Damon as he hadn't told her about it.
- Elena tells Damon they should give the Cure to any vampire who wants rather than taking it herself as she doesn't want to lose what they if she becomes human again as they both agree that they wouldn't work if she was human and he was still a vampire.
- The same could've been said of her relationship with Stefan.
- Caroline turns her humanity switch back on after seeing Stefan's memory of her mother and being unable to read the letter she had written for her, having burnt it with her humanity still off.
- Lily kills a human for the first time since being sent to the 1903 Prison World.
- Enzo and Lily have a heart-to-heart in this episode on why she left him right after turning him.
- Alaric and Bonnie were last seen in A Bird in a Gilded Cage.
- This episode marks the 100th appearance of Bonnie Bennett on the show.
- Liz was last seen in Let Her Go through flashbacks and as a corpse during her funeral.
- Caroline mentioned to Elena about killing a waitress and almost killing Bonnie while the latter's humanity was turned off. These events occurred in Season 4 Episodes 18 and 19: American Gothic and Pictures of You respectively.
- Elena mentioned Abby. She was last seen in A View to a Kill.
- Grove Hill, Virginia
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- McKinley, Virginia
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 1.37 million viewers in the USA.
- Hashtag during the airing is #CrazyCaroline
- Damon called Lily "Mommie Dearest", which was a title of a seventh season episode.
- "Because" is a song published in 1902 by Edward Teschemacher (lyrics) and Guy d'Hardelot (music). It became an extremely popular vocal to be sung at weddings.
- "Because" is a different song published in 1898 by Charles Horwitz (lyrics) and Frederick V. Bowers (music).
- "Because" is also a song by The Beatles from their 1969 album Abbey Road.
- ↑ Hit Songs, 1900-1955: American Popular Music of the Pre-Rock Era by Don Tyler (page 16)
- ↑ Hit Songs, 1900-1955: American Popular Music of the Pre-Rock Era by Don Tyler (page 9)