|“||To oppose us is to oppose the natural order. By choice or by force, the witches of the French Quarter will rise again.||”|
Bastianna Natale was a witch who was revived by Celeste Dubois (while possessing Sabine's body) using the magical power from the latest Harvest ritual. Along with Celeste and Genevieve, she was a major antagonist of the The Originals.
Bastianna was one of the witches who lived in the French Quarter and practiced Ancestral Magic. She believed in the Harvest, and, as an Elder of the New Orleans coven, she was given the power to perform the the Harvest ritual.
Sinners and Saints marked the first time Bastianna appeared through a series of flashbacks. In Davina Claire's flashbacks, Bastianna was leading the other witches in conducting the Harvest. She prepared the girls for ritual and might have even had a hand in choosing the four to be sacrificed. Bastianna began the ritual by pretending to take a little blood from the girls's palms, but instead, she violently slit the first two girls' throats. She would have killed Davina and Monique, too, but Marcel and his vampires broke up the ritual. Bastiana was killed in the struggle that ensued before she could finish the ritual, though a fellow Elder, Agnes, was able to slit Monique's throat for Bastianna, leaving Davina the only survivor.
In Apres Moi, Le Deluge, Bastianna was revived by Celeste (who was possessing Sabine), along with Papa Tunde, and Genevieve, using the power Celeste hijacked from the recently-completedHarvest Ritual.
In Crescent City, Bastianna attended the reopening of St. Anne's Church, along with Genevieve. Afterward, she greeted Father Kieran, and delivered to him the exact same hex that was placed upon his nephew, suggesting it was punishment for stopping the Harvest in the first place. However, in reality, it was to blackmail Cami into shoving Papa Tunde's dagger into Klaus' heart for them. After Klaus was subdued by the blade, Bastinanna appeared to take him away. Then, she, along with Celeste and Genevieve, cast a spell upon the plantation house currently inhabited by Hayley and Jackson, trapping them inside, and setting it ablaze. Then, Bastianna returned to the church, where she found Cami and stated that, as it was Sophie who ultimately stabbed Klaus, not Cami, the deal was off, and Kieran would die for his sins. Finally, she, along with Celeste and Genevieve, left to greet their newest ally; the radicalized Monique, who had just murdered her aunt on the orders of the Ancestors for not having enough faith. The four then left to continue their plans.
In Le Grand Guignol, Bastianna and Genevieve were summoned by Thierry, who was secretly helping Marcel and Rebekah. Bastianna was later pinned down by Marcel, who tore her head off in an effort to kill the resurrected witches so that Davina could finally be brought back to life.
In An Unblinking Death, she appeared as an hallucination to Kieran when the hex is about to kill him. She ordered him to kill Cami as his penance, which he almost does; he is ultimately stopped by Klaus before he can hit Cami with the killing blow, and once Klaus got Cami's blessing, he staked him, foiling Bastianna's plans.
In From a Cradle to a Grave, she was seen as a ghost along with the rest of the Ancestors when they all worked together with Monique and Abigail to keep Elijah, Klaus, and Hayley from interfering with the sacrifice of Hope Mikaelson.
Bastianna was an ambitious woman and was not afraid to sacrifice for the security of her coven's power. She wass also a figure head and an Elder of the witch community, as well as a strong, persuasive leader. She saw the witches as a holy people, and strongly believed that those who opposed the coven deserved painful, and often fatal, punishment. To Bastianna, witchcraft was a religion to which she was incredibly devout.
- Bastianna, as a girl's name, is a variant of Sebastianus (Latin), meaning "from Sebaste," which was derived from the Greek σεβαστος (Sebastos) which meant "venerable" or "revered." The named can be found in Roman, Italian, Latin and Spanish texts. It is pronounced: BAS-tee-AHN-ah.
- Natale is a Italian name and surname derived from the Latin natalis, meaning "birth," which originated from the term dies natalis, "day of the birth." It is pronounced: nah-TAH-le.
The Originals S1
- Sinners and Saints (Flashback)
- Apres Moi, Le Deluge (Resurrected)
- Dance Back From The Grave
- Crescent City
- Le Grand Guignol
- An Unblinking Death (Hallucination)
- From a Cradle to a Grave (Spirit)
- She was the leader of the New Orleans Coven.
- She was revived after the Harvest was completed.
- Along with Agnes, she was one of the 20th century elders of the New Orleans Coven.
- According to the producers' preview of Dance Back from the Grave, Bastianna, Papa Tunde and Genevieve were three of the worst witches in the history of New Orleans.
- As Bastianna became a substitute resurrected witch, her death meant that one of the witches that were sacrificed during the Harvest would be resurrected.
- It was implied that Bastianna's death brought back Abigail, the 1st Harvest girl sacrificed.
- She is a member of the Ancestors, and as practitioners of ancestral magic, her spirit and the spirits of her fellow ancestors are on an entirely separate plane of existence than the spirits of witches, vampires, werewolves, and other supernatural creatures whose spirits went to the Other Side after death. As a result of this, Bastianna's spirit was not affected by the destruction of the Other Side.